Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Do You Really Think Acura TLX Will Replace,TSX and TL in one fell swoop?

vinaypvinayp Member Posts: 1
edited August 2014 in Acura

Acura Claims TLX As The Replacement For TSX and TL.

Do You Really Think Acura TLX Will Replace,TSX and TL in one fell swoop? 38 votes

Yes
57%
benjaminhcarcrazy37cluedweaselexemo64graphicguyjustinp85kyfdxlilredcorvtstickguyMr_Shiftrightdeerlake7sdathebeanspedprofMarkHolthoffbruingirlellylabrazingkane93wheelmccoyroad_gypsy 22 votes
No
34%
andres3dfrancoexplorerx4gvbkarhill1ken117steversergeymsteevosidvredskinsdmvlacrosse4xas 13 votes
May Be
7%
andre1969igozoomzoomKaren_S 3 votes

Comments

• razingkane93razingkane93 Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2014
    Yes

Considering the TL and TSX are no longer made...yes. I driven all 3 and IMHO I think the TLX is a fine replacement for the TL and TSX. There are those lamenting the loss of the manual transmission but I'm guessing Acura added the MT sales of the TL and TSX and determined the TLX MT margins did not add up to designing, testing, building, stocking parts, and providing warranty work for say 2 percent of the TLX buyers of which I would have been one of them. I've moved past the MT and I will be buying a V6 Advance in the next week

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    No

Good time to go out and buy one.

Best New-Car Leftovers for 2014

• ken117ken117 Member Posts: 249
    No

Was at an Acura dealer this weeked for some MDX service. They had a couple of TLX on the showroom floor. Sadly, I did not see anything particularly striking about the TLX. Seemed too similar visually to the TSX rather than the TL. For a purely visual vantage point, there was no immediate, compelling urge to own one.

I have been a long time Honda/Acura buyer. However, the direction Acura has taken is forcing me to look elsewhere. Recently replaced a TL with a 3 series. I have to say, the 3 series is a more enjoyable daily ride.

Perhaps driving a TLX would result in a more postive reaction.

• andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,675
    May Be

I haven't paid much attention to Acura for a long time, but I remember one of my coworkers getting a 2004 or so TL. That thing was a sweet car. Good looking in a conservative sort of way, high quality interior, and while not a big car, it seemed big enough. I'd never driven one, but I heard they were great handlers for a FWD car.

Well, he leased a 2009, or whatever the first year of the new style was, and I thought that thing was a bit of a disappointment. It was midnight blue, which was a nice color and helped tone down that styling somewhat. But otherwise, I was unimpressed. It seemed a lot bigger on the outside, while managing to feel smaller inside...much in the way the domestics started building cars in the early 70's. And in another parallel to 70's domestic cars, it seemed like Acura suddenly discovered cheap, hard plastic.

I guess that newer style of TL has done okay though...I see a good number of them around. As for the TSX, I don't think that model's a very strong seller, anyway, is it? I know it's supposed to be more "pure" and sporty or whatever, but I just don't think enough buyers care, and for that they're going to look for a dedicated RWD car like a Benz or a BMW. Or even an Audi, which does a pretty good job of faking it with their AWD.

Acura probably has too much overlap with the TSX getting squeezed between the TL and the ILX, and in the meantime, perhaps the TL overlaps into RL (or RLX or whatever they call it these days) territory. So reducing to just a lineup of ILX/TLX/RLX might help eliminate some overlap, and provide a clearer hierarchy of models.

• razingkane93razingkane93 Member Posts: 7
    Yes

@ken117 said:
    Was at an Acura dealer this weeked for some MDX service. They had a couple of TLX on the showroom floor. Sadly, I did not see anything particularly striking about the TLX. Seemed too similar visually to the TSX rather than the TL. For a purely visual vantage point, there was no immediate, compelling urge to own one.

I have been a long time Honda/Acura buyer. However, the direction Acura has taken is forcing me to look elsewhere. Recently replaced a TL with a 3 series. I have to say, the 3 series is a more enjoyable daily ride.

My current car is a 99 Accord 4cyl 5spd with 200k miles so anything is an upgrade to me. Like you I'm a long time Honda buyer as I purchased my 1st Honda in 1978. I've also owned BMW's so I know it's a completely different ride. Aside from following the Honda maintenance schedule I have never had to take the car in for additional service and I cannot say that about my BMW's.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,131

04-08 TL was the pinnacle of the model, and maybe of the brand - up there in relative goodness with the second Legend, and maybe the second Integra. Nice cars that still look good today.

Combining the TSX and TL makes sense in a way, as both model have a hard time on their own, now that the premium/entry lux segment is so competitive. And like you say, overlap. I am sure it is a nice car, but it going to have to fight hard.

@andre1969 said:
    I haven't paid much attention to Acura for a long time, but I remember one of my coworkers getting a 2004 or so TL. That thing was a sweet car. Good looking in a conservative sort of way, high quality interior, and while not a big car, it seemed big enough. I'd never driven one, but I heard they were great handlers for a FWD car.

• gvbgvb Member Posts: 45
    No

The TLX IS the new TSX with technology upgrades. Both are 4-door offering 4 or 6 cylinders. Among other upgrades and changes is the omission of a 6-speed manual transmission which was available on the outgoing TL and the 4-cylinder TSX.

I test drove the 6-cylinder TLX this past weekend and was very impressive which was what I hve come to expect from Acura. One disappointment was the overall appearance of the vehicle. They kept describing the new TLX as "more emotional". The only emotion I had was a bit of disappointment in that regard. And if their target market includes the 3-series BMW's and Audi A4's which tend to attract a younger audience, then they need to come out with a 2016 TLX-type S with a 6-speed manual. Paddle shifting through 9 speeds is a bit ridiculous and just not the same thing.

Acura has a lot going for it and love the quality of their cars. I've owned nothing but Acura for over 10 years. However, this TLX while impressive to drive does not deliver in all aspects which is the FIRST time I have felt this way. Quality remains top notch which I have always respected, but the excitement factor has clearly started to wane.

A more "emotional" vehicle? What emotion is it exactly they are referring to?

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,490
    Yes

IMO what really happened is that the Ilx replaced the TSX, and the TLX is replacing the TL. They just overlapped the 2 smaller cars. Now just need a power boost for the ILX.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• jackson38jackson38 Member Posts: 1
    Yes

I think the old TSX overlapped a bit much with the ILX (good or bad), and the last TL obviously stood on the RL/RLX's toes a bit.

So the new TLX seems to strike the right balance for Acura's hierarchy, and it seems competitive enough for the (omnipresent) group that wants a midsize Honda+ sedan, with more technology and features.

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Yes

Yes.

The TLX appears to be a big hit. I think it will easily outsell both combined.

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • carcrazy37carcrazy37 Member Posts: 12
    Yes

I drove the TLX yesterday. It HAS replaced the small tsx and the bulbous TL. TLX goes back to the roots of the previous TL. Nice drive, awesome features, should do well for Acura and Acura buyers. Don't give an opinion until you've driven it. ps I was and still am more interested in the RDX. Dealer was definitely interested in selling me a TLX. Should work out well for those wanting to buy a TLX.

• redskinsdmvredskinsdmv Member Posts: 52
    edited September 2014
    No

@ken117 said:

I was set on the TLX having driven a Honda the past few years and after a test drive I was left unimpressed and went with the Lexus IS250 instead. What was shocking was the interior space of the TLX was about the same if not less spacious than the compact IS and it had less cargo room.

• karhill1karhill1 Member Posts: 165
    No

I too am a long time Honda and Acura buyer. Usually purchase or lease Honda or Acura as they have always provided me excellent driving experiences and virtually no significant repair costs.

In total, the TLX seems quite bland even by Honda or Acura standards. The styling is simply insipid.

I do find the current Acura advertisements amusing. Those ads do not provide a clear view of the TLX, to say nothing about the horrible sound track. Does this suggest Acura is not convinced the TLX's appearance is a strong selling point?

I do hope Acura succeeds with the TLX. Acura vehicles are outstanding values and they deserve more attention. Unfortunately, I suspect the TLX will not be the success the company hopes for. There is simply nothing about the TLX which stands out against the competion in the $40K price range.

Yes

I think it looks nice. then again, I can't stand overly styled cars that are going to look really dated a few years down the line. Plus the insides and driving experience are vastly more important. So as long as it is not hideous looking, NP!

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    Yes

I think the TLX not only looks good, but starting at an msrp of just $31k, it's an almost unbeatable value. To get a comparably equipped BMW 320i costs about 8k more.

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • abe2230abe2230 Member Posts: 20
    I test drove a loaded TLX v6 the other day and while it was nice, I wasn't blown away. The ride was comfortable but I expected a more thrilling ride. My wife was unimpressed with the cabin and the console was confusing at first glance. I test drove an Audi A4 the next day and have effectively crossed the TLX off my list (although I would be open to trying the AWD version when available.) This car is however reasonably priced compared to other high end brands and I would imagine will earn high reliability marks. The car did feel like a blinged out accord which may not be a terrible thing...
  • billy3554billy3554 Member Posts: 148
    Tested a TLX. Not very unique, nothing grabbed me as something I would need to own. Drab styling, drab color, few attractive accents. As a Acura buyer, I was anticipating something better.

Compared to the 3 series and A4, nothing about the TLX stands out.

Guess I will be looking elsewhere for my new sedan.
    Yes
    Nothing about the drive? This a car or a couch?

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,964
    Yes
    It does seem like it is more conservative choice. Has anyone driven the 2.4 with the DCT? Wondering if it has the slow speed jerkiness that seems to be so common with this type set up.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• road_gypsyroad_gypsy Member Posts: 5
    Yes
    Not quite sure what your question is. It's obvious the TLX has replaced those two models. Whether many people will buy the TLX is another question.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    May Be
    The TLX has sold 6,170 in the months of August and September 2014 (and August was only a partial month). The TSX and TL combined sold 6,378 units in the August & September of 2013. So the TLX is at least selling at the same rate as the TSX and TL did last year. The problem with that is the TL was down almost 3,000 units compared to Aug/Sept 2012, so the bar is set pretty low to match 2013 same period sales.

But production of the TLX and marketing for the new model are still ramping up. In my opinion, the TLX is a much better looking car than the outgoing TL (but so is everything else on the road). Acura has priced it very aggressively keeping prices very close to the TSX (for 2.4L models) and TL (for V6 models) while adding features and improving performance. I drove a TLX V6 Tech recently and it was a a very impressive car. It felt more like a $50k car in terms of performance and quality despite the $40k sticker price.

The real problem is that Acura's sedan lineup as a whole has been in trouble for years and I don't think the TLX alone can change that. The Civic-based ILX barely moved 20k units in 2013 and will be lucky to top 15k for 2014. During the 10 months that the new RLX was on sale in 2013, only 5,053 were sold and for Jan-Sept 2014 they've only moved 2,695.

Without the RDX and MDX crossovers (which have sold over 100k units combined for the last few years), Acura wouldn't be a viable business entity....
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
    Yes
    Rlx is a mystery. But with the TLX here now, they really need to do an upgrade to the Ilx. Quickly. If they get that right and keep pricing where it is, there should be a very string market fir it.

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    I like the new TLX, except for the fact that it has 4" less back seat foot room than the 2015 Accord, with the same wheelbase, and a 13 cubic foot trunk vs. 16 for the Accord. Given those differences I'd choose the 4-cylinder Accord EX-L over the 4-cylinder TLX. That despite the fact I prefer the TLX's automatic transmission, the more upscale positioning and longer warranty of the TLX.

I think the TLX's interior room and trunk space make it more of a replacement for the TSX than the TL.
    Correction: I meant leg room in my previous message, not foot room.
    I read that the 2016 ILX, which has fared poorly in the marketplace, will be upgraded, especially the interior, and may adopt the TLX dual-clutch transmission, while retaining the current platform.Those changes would make the ILX more of a replacement for the TSX, especially if the 2.4L engine becomes more widely available. I think these changes would be good moves. The downside for the TLX is that the upgraded ILX would crowd the space now occupied by the TLX.

Maybe a relatively easy fix for the TLX would be to extend its wheelbase by ~3 inches, to differentiate it more from the ILX and the Accord EX-L, but then the TLX would crowd the RLX. To fix that Acura could either drop the RLX, which isn't selling well, or upgrade it.

What are your thoughts for making Acura cars more aspirational, while keeping in mind ROI (return on investment)?
    Acura needs to make itself relative to the competition what it was between 1986-1995 or so. I look at that styling and today's styling, and I know what is better. Design sells. I have to imagine the beak/shield theme isn't coincidentally linked to weak passenger car sales and lower market relevance. Time to move on.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,675
    May Be
    I thought the first-gen Legend was a beautiful car, in both coupe and sedan form. I didn't care for the second-gen as much, but I still liked it better than the RL that followed.

Even the first two generations of Integra seemed like really nice cars. I liked the hidden headlights of the first-gen, and the second-gen had a nice, upscale look about it. But after that, it started seeming more Civic-like and less special.

I wonder if part of the problem is that Civics and Accords have gotten nicer over the years, so there's not quite the prestige jump in going to an Acura?
    Yes
    A loaded accord is a nice car.

To me, the RLX is the dud. I have always thought the Ilx was a nice car just needing a better power train. If Acura takes car of that, spiffier it up a bit, and keeps the price the same it could do real well. Still enough separation from the TLX.

The RLX needs a major makeover or rethink

I've always liked the Legends and Integras, both seemed like very nice cars back in the day, a definite step up from a loaded Accord or Civic. The brand had relevancy, people thought highly of it, and maybe even aspired. Now the RLX is like a 3:2 scale Accord with a price to match. ILX is a fancy Civic, but needs more differentiation, last TL kind of a bizarre looking fancy Accord. Nothing wrong with a loaded Accord, but it needed more differentiation. I still find it amusing how they got the design so right in 04, then it derailed.
    Yes
    Ilx reminds me nothing of a civic. Especially interior.

Tighten up suspension. Maybe use a small turbo 4 with the dsg box. That would differentiate.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,295
    No
    They tried to make it look bigger than it is, but not sure former/current TL drivers will be happy with the interior size.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    edited October 2014
    Other than for minor exceptions, I agree with all the comments and suggestions since my last message at 10:44 am. I hope an executive at Acura reads our messages.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    Having seen quite a few of the new TLX on the roads, it looks like there are some who are won over but for me as others have mentioned, the styling is too safe, especially lower trims. I know the hidden exhaust thing is in right now (Mercedes is doing this now too) at Acura but it just adds to the blandness. Sure, it's a step up from the TL but I don't think it goes far enough. It'll cater to the traditional Acura buyer but I don't see it grabbing many Audi, Volvo or Lexus buyers.

I want to see Acura become the Japanese Audi that that have the ability to but I just don't think they have the drive to do so. And I'm not going to scream "needs a V8!" either because they don't. But their offerings lack passion, excitement or boldness... Maybe it's because Hondas own offerings are so good now and basically Acura can't offer much to improve on them. Same engines, same platforms as their Honda siblings, etc. To me, Acura has been on cruise control since 2008.
    I agree with you regarding Acura cars, but Acura SUVS are competing well.
  • gvbgvb Member Posts: 45
    No
    The previous TL was such a disappointment aesthetically and had such high hopes for the new TLX which isn't ugly, just bland. A solid C grade. They advertise of a more "emotional experience". I test drove a 6-cyl with nothing exciting to take away. Exactly what emotion are they targeting? Acura now seems afraid to be on the forefront. Better to play it safe than go 'out on a limb' and produce something that is exciting to see and experience. I think the TLX is nothing more than an ILX with a modified back-end. Look at them both from the front and you tell me. Die hard Honda/Acura fans will stick. However, I think the majority will try 'something new' and go with Lexus or Infinity. As for the embarrassing commercial saying "how do you say your lease is up in German", no BMW/Audi owner would EVER return the keys to the dealership and head over to Acura. Boring styling on the outside, no 6-speed manual. Simply put, nothing exciting.I think that pretty much shuts out that entire target audience. Anyone who counters with the fact they offer paddle shifters. Just think about paddle shifting through a 9-speed transmission. You will likely end up with carpal tunnel syndrome before your first oil change.

Acrua (if you are reading) bring back the likes of the '04-'07 model including a 6-speed manual which I owned (before I was hit by a city bus) and offer what the rest of the Japanese mfg's do not, Lead. Until then, you have excluded yourself from any German-owning consumer, and clearly lag behind Lexus and Infinity. You are a great car manufacturer, but lack the confidence and boldness to compete against what is out there today.

I've owned nothing but Acura vehicles since 1991. Come 2015, my next purchase will not be Honda or Acura. They just aren't up to par with what they claim to be their competition. Reality check is, you just gave away your lunch to the competition....And don't even get me started on the RLX......
  • repete66210repete66210 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2014
    I've been driving an A4 for 4 years but on Saturday I put down a deposit on a TLX.

The A4 is a great car, but it's 4 cylinder engine leaves a lot to be desired off the line. It's really very slow accelerating, especially when pulling into traffic. The turbo mitigates this, but only to a certain degree and only once you get moving. The MPG (around 22/32) is more like that of a 6 cylinder so the economy really isn't there either. The final stroke though was the fact that it's been drinking about a quart of full synthetic every two weeks.

It's a company car, which means the C class & 3 series are off the table. (My customers would think they're paying me too much if I show up in a Mercedes or BMW.) My only other considerations were the Q40 and IS series. The Infiniti has good power but the ride is hum-drum, the tech is lacking and the steering wheel is cheap plastic. So that leaves the Lexus and the IS 350 with features comparable to the 6 cylinder AWD TLX Tech Package is about 20% more expensive. And it's also a Lexus, a brand which carries a bit of baggage.

Personally, I have a pretty specific list of features--6 cylinder, AWD sedan that doesn't seem too high end. Based on that list I had little choice but to go with the TLX. The design isn't cutting edge and the ride isn't particularly exciting, but it's still quite a nice car and, at the $40k price point, a remarkable value. I may have buyer's remorse for going with the TLX over the Lexus, but it certainly won't be because I didn't get another Audi.
    Yes
    I saw one on the turnpike last week. It looks nice moving. And I do like the interior.

lack of a manual is a red herring IMO. You can't hardly find a 3 series with one (and they may not even be offered in the 5), and the vast majority of sales are ATs. Same with Audi, but there you can sometimes find a few. Doesn't exist at Lexus or MB at this point. But overall the manual trans segment is tiny.

Acura sedans have never been about cutting edge style or ground breaking features. They made there name on solid, reliable value, in cars that do everything well or at least competently. For a better price, with more standard goodies, and better reliability.

some people (for various reasons) are just buying something German no matter what. But plenty will cross shop, along with people that might be looking at other Asian or US brands.

I can't speak to how they drive personally (not having driven one) but I do recall reading reviews that all said that the 4 cyl model was more "sporty" (lighter, better handling) and the 6 cyl AWD was more of a luxury car. Seems logical.

• thebeanthebean Member Posts: 1,216
    Yes
    I drove one about a month ago (4 cyl) and was pretty impressed.  Was sporty enough but had a good enough ride for me.  If it had been out for a while, I would have bit.  But, I just don't buy a car in it's first year (new or redesign).  This has served me well in the past, but it's strictly a personal quirk.  I thought the TLX was good value for the price and should serve you well.
    2015 Honda Accord EX, 2019 Honda HR-V EX