Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2015 Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

larryb5larryb5 Member Posts: 7
edited August 2015 in Honda

I just purchased a 2015 EX-L w/o navi and RES for 33,335 plus TTL & fees OTD in Central Wisconsin. Could have gotten the same model in a 2014 from Zimbrick in Madison for $31,988 plus
TTL & fees OTD, but thought the deal on the 15 would be better deal overall.
This will be my 3rd EX-L (I've had an 11 and a 13) and when I traded them in, I was able to get nearly $1,000 more on the trade than edmunds.com said it was worth. The dealers want the used Odysseys on their lots. I just got 26,000 for the 13 with 45,000 miles on it.

See Also
2015 Honda Odyssey Pricing & Features

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760

@larryb5 said:
    I just purchased a 2015 EX-L w/o navi and RES for 33,335 plus TTL & fees OTD in Central Wisconsin. Could have gotten the same model in a 2014 from Zimbrick in Madison for $31,988 plus
    TTL & fees OTD, but thought the deal on the 15 would be better deal overall.
    This will be my 3rd EX-L (I've had an 11 and a 13) and when I traded them in, I was able to get nearly $1,000 more on the trade than edmunds.com said it was worth. The dealers want the used Odysseys on their lots. I just got 26,000 for the 13 with 45,000 miles on it.

Congrats on the new van!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• coj142coj142 Member Posts: 3

This is what I'm hearing from dealers in NOVA/DC/MD so far. Anyone have anything better?

2015 TOURING $38,500
    2015 EXL w RES $33,995
    2015 EXL $32,500

• robertinohiorobertinohio Member Posts: 21

Has anyone heard if Honda will be adding the Celestial Blue (light blue) with the 2015? It fell off as a color choice for 2015.

• amysoramysor Member Posts: 2

@coj142 said:
    This is what I'm hearing from dealers in NOVA/DC/MD so far. Anyone have anything better?

2015 TOURING $38,500
    2015 EXL w RES $33,995
    2015 EXL $32,500

I was offered 2015 EXL for $34,500 OTD VA taxes.

• bluebfalobluebfalo Member Posts: 4
    I was offered 32700 for 2015 Honda EXL with no options +tax/tag/fees (location & doc).
  • ho123ho123 Member Posts: 1

Just bought 2015 honda odyssey EX-L with RES for 36.4K OTD @ MD.

• flawlesslyflawlessly Member Posts: 5
    I got EXL w/RES for 33897 before ttl in OH.
  • kimeroskimeros Member Posts: 7
    I got mine for 29,999 for a 2015 Honda Odyssey EX with no options + tax/tag/doc fees. In central NJ
  • rosalynrosalyn Member Posts: 1
    2015 Touring Elite - paid $40,793, including destination fee. I worked it for a few weeks with several dealers. I started by searching for a 2014, but jumped when the financing dropped for 2015s. Love it so far!
    We bought an Odyssey EX-L (no accessory) for 32695 (inc destination fee) + tax (6%)/tag/fees = 34918 final price.
  • powerjenpowerjen Member Posts: 1
    bluebfalo - that looks like a really good price. Where did you buy your Odyssey (which state)?
  • petertxpetertx Member Posts: 3
    bluebfalo, congrats for getting the deal. I am in the market for the EX-L without RES or NAV, but having hard time to get a deal like yours :( The best deal I have received so far via emails is $33,600 before TTL. What's the strategy you have used to get that price ? Did you bargain at the dealership(s) or did everything over the emails/phones ? Thanks.

It's an EX-L without NAV or RES. 

We bought it in PA. 

I was at the dealership to service my father in laws car. I figured I'd ask about prices on the 2014 odyssey, but they were out of stock in my color. I had contacted this particular dealership in June and they had quoted me 32400 for a 2014. The guy basically said for 32695 you can get a 2015 in your choice of color and trim. I ask the guy to write down his quote, which I took a pic of. Then I shopped around other dealers. 2 other dealers said straight out that they couldn't complete as they would be losing money on the deal and recommended if it was a real deal to take it. One dealership said they would do 32600, but they were about an hour away, and we didn't think the drive was worth saving $95. There was no haggling when we got there. I kept waiting for some sort of trick/ploy but there was none. Only 8m on the car.

• petertxpetertx Member Posts: 3
    bluebfalo, thanks a lot for sharing that.
  • ramachandraramachandra Member Posts: 6
    OK, any 2015 Odyssey "Touring " prices paid recently? I am in NJ area. OTD would be good. I got the quote from the dealer as 37,700+ Any additional charges.
  • cinchin280cinchin280 Member Posts: 2
    FYI, I just brought home an 2014 EX-L with RES for $32.383 price of van, and out the door was $18,466 cash and my trade in my 2010 CRV (15,900 given). I live in central MD and purchased north of Baltimore.
  • cinchin280cinchin280 Member Posts: 2
    I meant to add total before trade was $34,366. I was told that the 2015 are about $1000 more expensive and since I plan on driving this van until it dies, the 2014 worked out just fine for me.
    That's a good deal for EX-L. In NJ, starting price was $36,300 (OTD)
    Any 2015 Touring prices paid OTD? I am hearing as $42K OTD. I am sure, it can come down a bit during negotiation, but trying to get the real prices paid. Thanks.
  • phs_1123phs_1123 Member Posts: 3
    anyone bought 2015 Touring Elite recently in DC area?.. can anyone share the price paid . Thanks
  • chris16chris16 Member Posts: 11
    I am in the market to trade my 2010 Odyssey for a 2015 Touring in Virginia Beach area. Anyone have any OTD prices. Also, thoughts on the dark blue. Our dealer doesn't have one on the lot and I am scared to order it without seeing it. Online it looks bright blue! Thanks!
  • chris16chris16 Member Posts: 11
    I have been quoted 41,672.20 OTD for a 2015 Touring. They say that it is great deal and only offering because last day of the month. Not sure if that is the best deal or not. Opinions?
    I was given almost same in email. 37,670 is base price including destination. Plus taxes and plates
  • phs_1123phs_1123 Member Posts: 3

I was given almost same in email. 37,670 is base price including destination. Plus taxes and plates

is 37670 for 2015 Touring or touring Elite
    Its for Touring. For TE I was give a quote of $40795 (including dest fee).
  • nabrikanabrika Member Posts: 4
    I received quote as below:

1. 2014 EX-L White : $31052 includes destination
    2. 2015 EX-L : $32083 includes destination
  • mshivaswamymshivaswamy Member Posts: 1
    nabrika, which city did you get the 2015 price ?
  • liveup2kliveup2k Member Posts: 2
    I was offered 33950 out of the door for 2015 EX-L w/o navi and res with trunk tray, mud guard, all weather mats and door visors. Thought it was not a good deal as one of my friend bought 2014 EX-L with RES 4 months before with same accessories for 34K out the door.
    I live in NC
  • zhyuezhyue Member Posts: 6
    liveup2k said:

I was offered 33950 out of the door for 2015 EX-L w/o navi and res with trunk tray, mud guard, all weather mats and door visors. Thought it was not a good deal as one of my friend bought 2014 EX-L with RES 4 months before with same accessories for 34K out the door.
    I live in NC

liveup2k, that sounds like a great price. Would you mind sharing what is the price for the car itself before tax and license?
  • liveup2kliveup2k Member Posts: 2
    I dont remember the car price as the dealer didnt handover the quote. But deducting TTL and accessories, it should be b/w 31500 - 32000. but the discount was around $4.9K
  • ajrosenajrosen Member Posts: 10
    I just got quoted $29,650 for an EX + TTL outside of Buffalo, NY. They are offering 6K for my 2007 Civic manual transmission. $600 under invoice. It seems like a pretty good deal to me. Any opinions? According to them, aside from taxes only other fees are $60 plate transfer and $97 for title, registration, etc.
    I just bought 2015 Touring in Central NJ.

Selling Price+Destination = 38,500
    -Trade-In =8,500
    + Transfer Plates+Tire Fee+etc + Taxes

On-road 32,581

Also bought the extended warranty 7 Yr/100k for 1310. When I was negotiating I did not knew that there is a state tax even on warranty. So landed up in paying 1400.
  • amulzamulz Member Posts: 3
    I was quoted $34.1k for a Honda Odyssey EX-L w/Nav (before TTL and trade-in) in Philly, PA. We put down a deposit pending trade-in appraisal tomorrow.
  • amulzamulz Member Posts: 3
    amulz said:

I was quoted $34.1k for a Honda Odyssey EX-L w/Nav (before TTL and trade-in) in Philly, PA. We put down a deposit pending trade-in appraisal tomorrow.

Went through with the deal. $34,152 + $15 Internet fee. Paid $1,150 to double the warranty to 72mo/75k mi (initial quite was 1750).

• pavvypavvy Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2014
    I got a quote on EXL with RES for 34.3 + TTL in Belair, MD. Is this a good deal or should i wait till December ?

• robertinohiorobertinohio Member Posts: 21
    Picked up an EX-L base for $34,500 + TTL.
    If you previously had a Sienna or Toyota, my recommendation is to rent an Odyssey for 24 hours. Wish I had. Didn't notice the big difference in the seats, ride, steering wheel, etc until I drove it for 30 min. These are the worse seats. Not comfortable at all. Can't imagine how these will be on long rides. I think you will feel the VCM kicking on and off too.
  • graminigramini Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2014
    I'm look to buy new Honda 2015 EX-L with Navigation. I live in bay area, CA. Please share your thought if someone has bought from bay area.

Thanks
    -G
  • itsmesri1itsmesri1 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for EX-L w/Nav and w/RES in Dallas,TX area. Is it possible to get w/Nav and w/RES in EX-L? What is the best price? Please share any good bought.
  • itsmesri1itsmesri1 Member Posts: 2
    What is the best price for touring in Dallas area?
  • roy2001roy2001 Member Posts: 62
    itsmesri1 said:

I am looking for EX-L w/Nav and w/RES in Dallas,TX area. Is it possible to get w/Nav and w/RES in EX-L? What is the best price? Please share any good bought.

No you have to go with Elite to have both feature.
  • rocky2011rocky2011 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased 2015 EXL OTD 35,500 included accessories all season mats, cargo folding mat and body side molding. Dayton Ohio 
  • denascardenascar Member Posts: 25
    ANYONE in Florida? Looking for the best price for 2015 EX-L w/o Nav. No bells and whistles, no BS either.
    denascar said:

ANYONE in Florida? Looking for the best price for 2015 EX-L w/o Nav. No bells and whistles, no BS either.

Success! I feel like I made a good deal with my local dealers.
    Trim: EX-L
    Vehicle Price: $31,800.00 incl destination fee
    Dealer Fees: $799.00
    Taxes: $1518.03
    Tags: $183.85- transfer/battery/tire fees
    Less Trade-In: $7400.00

Total OTD: $26,900.88
  • ken117ken117 Member Posts: 249
    Dealer fee of $799? Anyone in Florida should GOOGLE Earl Stewart on Cars to learn about these exhorbitant Florida fees. The short description is dealer fees simply reflect the vehicle price being broken into two pieces, price and dealer or document fee. These are not fees and they are not required by law or by the OEM. They are just profit to the dealer.

Dealers concocted this pricing plan to deceive some buyers into believing the price is lower than what it really is and to be able to advertise a lower price, with the dealer fee always in small print, to entice buyers to visit the dealership.

Most dealers include this fee as a written amount on the sales contract. This simple prepetuates the deception by implying there is some legal requirement for the fee.

Every buyer has unique factors and each purchase is different. Therefore, concluding whether the price one buyer paid is better than or worse than any other deal is very difficult to determine.

Using True Car as a base, at this time, I would compute a good starting point for negotiations for this vehicle at about $32,826. This could be my top price, it is the True Car price less the $299 fee TC charges dealers. This represents about a 3.8 percent discount off MSRP.

While the TC price is an attractive price, it is usually not the lowest price available. At this time, I would want a bit more, perhaps a 6 percent reduction. This would result in a target price, including destination, of about $32,075.

According to your numbers it seems you paid $32,599, which is $31,800 plus the $799 dealer split of the price which this dealer calls his dealer fee.

This price is a net reduction of 4.5 percent off MSRP. Certainly a good deal at this time.

However it is possible some money, perhaps $500 or so, was left on the table. Since your post indicates the process was easy, my guess is there were some additional reductions possible. This $500 is certainly not a lot particularly when other factors, like dealer service reputation and locality and time, are included.

Finally, no deal can be fully evaluated without all aspects of the deal being considered. For example, what was the financing? Did the buyer accept any upsell on the financing. Also how much was lost in the F&I office for the many overpriced products the F&I manager presents to the buyer? A good deal reached on the sales floor can be quickly undone in the F&I office.

Hi Ken117, Yes, I'm well aware of the ridiculous $799 dealer fee and I'm also aware of the incredibly low trade in amount given for my 2007 Honda CR-V EX-L (kinda tired of hearing them tell me how Honda vehicles have the best trade in and re-sale value when they want to give you the lowest amount possible) I used several mediums, TrueCar, Edmunds, my CU and forums to see what this vehicle sold for in my area.

I live in No Central Florida so to get to where the real competiton is I'd have to travel at least 2-3 hrs. My time is valueable and I personally did not want to drive to the panhandle (best price, BTW) only to find that they 'forgot' to include the options that I was looking for or that I'd have to make a trip back to pick up the car once it had been 'located'. I've so played that ploy before...

This being my forth Honda product I really wanted to keep my money local and made it clear that this particular dealership had poo-poo'd me in the past.

I used my own financing through my CU at 1.99% for up to 72 mos. and did not purchase any additional add-ons nor extended warranties.

My total OTD price for this car was $26,900.88. A far cry from the insane $39,355.00 sticker price before TTL or trade.

Be happy for me. I did a decent transaction... and I'm a girl. :smile:
  • lookeverywherelookeverywhere Member Posts: 2
    I'm in the market for a Honda Odyssey EX-L and was hoping to take advantage of the end-of-year clearance and find a 2014 odyssey for a good price. Is it too late for a 2014 in Nov? Every dealer I have contacted so far, offers a quote for 2015 and says they are out of 2014 models. BUt searches on websites like cars.com (and some dealer websites too) result in quite a few 2014 models.
    I see 2014's on every dealers lot in Florida from Tallahassee to Tampa, Gainesville to Jacksonville.
  • lookeverywherelookeverywhere Member Posts: 2
    denascar said:

I see 2014's on every dealers lot in Florida from Tallahassee to Tampa, Gainesville to Jacksonville.

That's good to know. I wonder if that's the case in the nova/dc/md area as well.
  • kert491kert491 Member Posts: 6
    Any comments on where to get the best deal in upstate NY.
  • edoxytedoxyt Member Posts: 2
    I came across this post in May 2012 and have now used it twice. Both were the best purchasing experiences I've had. It simply puts you into control of getting the deal you want. In neither case did I speak to anyone until the deal was done. Just take your time and watch the details closely.

wandering_burr Posts: 3
    May 2012
    I'm not sure how I stumbled onto DonkeyPunch1's 2008 post about how to approach the deal. It may have been quoted somewhere else, and it most likely built upon other people's posts on this and other forums. But it got me a relatively smooth purchasing process. This forum has been a HUGE help to me in buying my Odyssey and I want to give back by updating DonkeyPunch's advice with what I experienced and think works simpler or better. Much of this is mine, and much is shamelessly cut/paste from his post in 2008.

-------------

End of the month. Great time to buy a car, end of the quarter is even better. The notion of walking into a dealership and haggling them down using your verbal judo is a recipe for wasted time. 90% of the time they will not give you the price you want. They are paid to be there and you are not. They have a simple recipe, grind the customer down until you sign or leave. If you leave they usually chase and give a small concession then restart the process.

Below is the recipe i recommend. Three to 7 days is about the time to get to the best price:

.5 Go to www.trucar.com and get a quote on the exact vehicle model you are looking at. This is to get the ball rolling with the dealers. (thank you vanpire for this advice)

.75 (Optional) We are very lucky to be shopping for Odysseys. There is such a large volume sold and posted to this board that you have access to the pulse of what they are selling for across the country. First thing I did was to click back several pages (3 months worth) and make notes on each clear sale price so I would know the range to expect. I only used prices that showed base price, clearly indicated it included destination fee and and dealer doc/prep fees. Those that just showed with TTL are not useful as I don't know what their tax rate is. Those that show trades are also not useful because we have no way of knowing what the trade was really worth to the dealer. The difference of just a couple grand throws the pricing way off. NOw this step is optional because it doesn't directly affect what your price will end up being. But it will tell you when you are close to what you can expect to be about as good a deal as there is to find.

1. Go to Honda.com website and click on "find dealer" (DON'T use the request quote button).

2. At that point, select "request a quote" next to each dealer after you have list of dealers.

3. Fill out your info. don't put a phone number down (use 858-555-1234), you call them if you want...they don't call you.
    Ask for the following:
    - Obviously request model your looking for in dropdown.
    - In "comments" section put something to the effect:
    Would like a detailed quote on an EXL RES. Please itemize charges: Base Price, destination and document fee; only extras should be tax, title and license. I would like your best possible price, as I intend to purchase this weekend. Additionally, please include the color selection that you have available. I'm checking with several dealers in the area and will be purchasing shortly, so your promptness and bottom line is appreciated.

I already have a quote on this vehicle from trucar.com for $xx,xxx but am looking for a better price. I look forward to your reply.

Don't give them your phone number, if their serious, they'll put it in writing.
    - Press Send

Note that I don't insist they give the OTD price with Taxes and DMV fees. You'll see why in the next step.

4. Go Back to "find dealer" enter your zip and you'll get the same list. select "request quote" by the next dealer and this same form that you initially entered will be available. just press send.

5. Repeat to at least 8 dealers in your area. If your in a metro area. I'd send to everyone EVEN the closest.

6. Go Back to "find dealer" yet again and put in the closest major city, other than your own and repeat. Do a google search on that city for 'Honda High Volume Dealer' and make darn sure you get that one. By not asking for an OTD price you do not need to disclose your zip code for tax rate information. This keeps the dealers further away more interested. No-one wants to invest time if they think you are not serious. Please do keep your requests to venues you would be willing to travel to in order to buy.

7. Finally, think about brand new Hondas you have seen recently with dealer ads instead of plates. If the dealer is not close by the reason may be because that person found it worth while to travel to buy their car. Find these dealers either on the Honda site or via Google. If via Google just look through their website for a 'Contact Us' email address or 'Request QUote' button.

8. Go to your credit union, capitalone.com or whomever your comfortable with and get your own financing. You should have a check in your back pocket when you go to buy the car or their going to bend you over. The big players will overnight you a blank check. This is an important step as many dealers will give you a great quote then try to make back a few thousand on a poor interest rate. You won't know until you get there and try to sign paperwork at which point they have you at a disadvantage. Best to be able to whip out the check and tell them, cash deal please.

9. Check the Honda rate for specials. But DO NOT assume you will qualify for it. Some dealers will offer you 4.9% while Honda offers .9%. Guess who pockets those four points of interest. 'Cash deal please.'

10. Sit back..you're in the drivers seat.

11. Wait for quotes to come in.

12. You'll find out who's serious.
    - some will give you HIGH price
    - some won't respond so go to their website and request a quote with same info as above. Some will try to track down your phone number and call you. Unless your time is not valuable do not answer. Nothing they need to know they cannot ask in email.
    - a few will give you a pretty aggressive price
    - you may end up with a clear cut low ball great price

13. Forget about the morons that ask you to call them for an appointment (The VIP treatment means getting bent over). On the ones that are really high, if you want reply and tell them they are off by whatever the diff is between them and your lowest price. i.e, "you're off by $2600, if that's your best shot, I'll pass thanks".

14. Once you start receiving the offers try to break them into apples/apples comparisons. If you did step .75 you can know when you get a really good offer. Now it is tempting to start the back and forth right away. I'd wait a few days or at least until you get a clear cut low price.

15. Once you get the clear cut low price contact that dealer to confirm what colors they have available. Try to get them to tell you what they have rather than what you want. At this point ask for an OTD price. Ask if the price is the same for a cash deal or does it require financing through the dealer. If the latter be on high alert through the sales process. Easy to jack the rate to cancel the otherwise
    Flag Quote · Like LOL