Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Why won't the key to my 2002 Mazda Protege insert into the ignition switch?

alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
edited September 2014 in Mazda
Can someone please tell me why it could be that the key to my 2002 Protege will not insert into the ignition switch ?

I've never had this happen before that I can remember. My car is of very low mileage (11,000 miles)

On this forum many years ago I seem to remember several instances reported of just this problem, and there was an answer for this, but I don't know if there is any way to search for questions and answers from 8 or 10 years ago. Any suggestions are gratefully welcomed.

Best Answer

• alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    Answer ✓

This problem arose while a very responsible family member had the temporary loan of my Protege.

On close examination, I see that the key seems to have somehow been removed while still in the "On" position (I didn't believe that was even possible). In said position there are two lugs visible in the key hole that prevent the key from entering.

Does this further info suggest anything new to anyone?

Answers

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited September 2014
    Have you tried squirting some graphite lube in the lock cylinder?

I assume you tried another key and had the same problem.
  • alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    Tried lube and duplicate keys. No luck. I vaguely thought I remembered something about the steering wheel lock somehow being related to my problem.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The only time I've read about the steering wheel lock problem is when you can't get a key out of the switch. The usual solution there is to (gently) crank the wheel all the way to the left or right, or rock it back and forth, to release the key.

Worth a shot to try to get the key in I suppose.