Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Remote Start - 2014 Volkswagen Passat TSI Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited June 2016 in Volkswagen
Remote Start - 2014 Volkswagen Passat TSI Long-Term Road Test

Our long-term 2014 Volkswagen Passat TSI comes with remote start, but it isn't the best system.

Read the full story here

Comments

• adamb1adamb1 Member Posts: 122
    2014 Ford Fusion remote start functions same as Ram 1500 and I agree is ideal.
  • nomercy346nomercy346 Member Posts: 69
    Coming from GM remote starters, I thought all of them would spare you from the startup like your RAM does... any rational person would design it that way, right? guess, thats the power of german engineering...

Can you even get remote start on any other German brand, MB, BMW?
  • allthingshondaallthingshonda Member Posts: 878
    Toyota also does this annoying shut off when the doors are unlocked. This is one of the things American car makers do best. Are they the only ones who know how to have the engine running and HVAC on while all other systems are off?
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    That's probably because most of those cars as sold in Europe come as manuals, which are all but impossible to lock out electronically. Does a stick shift Ford or GM let you get in with the motor running?
  • nomercy346nomercy346 Member Posts: 69

That's probably because most of those cars as sold in Europe come as manuals, which are all but impossible to lock out electronically. Does a stick shift Ford or GM let you get in with the motor running?

They don't offer remote start on manuals at GM, Ford and I'd believe Chrysler as well... AFAIK there are no factory remote starters in Europe at all for legal reasons.
    Even so, just because you locked the vehicle and no doors were opened doesn't guarantee there isn't someone still in there who could slam it into gear...
  • cromagnum_mancromagnum_man Member Posts: 54
    Your long-term Toyota Highlander does the same thing.
  • rogeratgrimetxrogeratgrimetx Member Posts: 1
    "nomercy346nomercy346 Posts: 66
    September 2014
    agentorange said:

They don't offer remote start on manuals at GM, Ford and I'd believe Chrysler as well... AFAIK there are no factory remote starters in Europe at all for legal reasons.
    Even so, just because you locked the vehicle and no doors were opened doesn't guarantee there isn't someone still in there who could slam it into gear..."

You seem to have some experience with this option. I own a 2013 Passat NMS s model. They offer a plug and play version of remote start.
    Here in Texas it is worth the few extra bucks to have the car cooled off. Does anyone have any input? My local dealer has yet to install one.

http://www.vwpartscenter.net/volkswagen/passat/561065760a/2013-year/s-trim/2-5l-l5-gas-engine/security-cat/keyless-scat/?part_name=remote-engine-start-harness