Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Towing tips for SUVs

1234568»

Comments

• jnesbittjnesbitt Member Posts: 1
    Folks,
    I have a 19.5 ft boat that weighs 3300 lbs. It came with a single axle trailer with no trailer brakes. I am considering buying a Toyota 4runner V8 to tow this boat.
    Is this enough vehicle to tow this boat, and do I need a double axle trailer with brakes, or am I o.k. with the trailer it came with?

Thanks,
    John
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Most Tow vehicles require brakes over 1500lbs. Depending on how far you are towing, the terrain, and the speeds, you should be ok to tow it.

-mike
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Achieving better fuel economy and energy independence are critical national imperatives. But let's do it in a thoughtful, balanced way that ensures millions of Americans won't lose their outdoor lifestyle,"

99% of Car Towing Capacity Lost Since 1970s

I always found a small tent hauled in my minivan more versatile myself, especially for those times when you want to walk 5 minutes into the woods to get away from the RVer's running their noisy generators so the occupants can watch the latest episode of The Simpsons. :P
    I however like to go even further than you. I prefer to tow my boat to the lake and then rent an island campsite that is REALLY far away from everything. Unfortunately I need my 5.6L v8 to tow the 33ft cig boat that has twin 502 engines :)

-mike
    I use canoes for that, and they ride on top of the minivan.

Usually camp on gravel bars anyway and go places where there aren't any picnic tables around for umpteen miles. ;)

It would be nice to have a hitch for hauling the occasional load of mulch or straw to the ranchette.
    hmm I wonder if we had a picnic table on the islands we rent from the state. Good fun though. Put it this way, on my cigarette boat/performance boat boards last year they posed the question of when you would stop using them based on fuel costs. I think until it hits $8 or $9/gal most of us won't be effected. I guess when a new 30ft cig boat costs close to $200k and $40-50k for a tow vehicle, the gas is the least of the problems :)

-mike
  • gdog6gdog6 Member Posts: 17
    For the longest time I have believed that the tongue weight of the trailer was subtracted from payload in order to see the remaining Max load But lately I have seen suvs with low payloads hauling large trailers and carrying a full cab of
    people :surprise: . am I right? or is there something i'm missing out on.

Gdog6 ;)
    You are correct.

Payload Max - Tounge weight - passengers - gear in vehicle = Payload balance

So if the payload is 1000lbs

-500 lb tounge weight
    -500 lb passengers
    -200 lb gear
    = 200 lbs over payload

Trailer weight is not subtraced from the Payload however.

Most people (including myself) don't always follow this rule.

I am glad to say the Armada which is rated at 9100lbs towing has successfully been towing my 9100lb performance boat so far this summer.

-mike
  • gdog6gdog6 Member Posts: 17
    glad to know i was right. but feel sorry for the people who
    do not know they are damaging their SUV :(
    It could also turn into a liability issue in the event of an accident as well.

-mike
  • cabennetcabennet Member Posts: 2
    I have purchased a used pop-up trailer. I currently have a 99 Windstar that is rated for 2000 lbs. It has no towing package. The trailer has a dry weight of 1640 lbs. I am thinking of trading up to a larger capacity tow vehicle. One salesman is trying to get me into a loaded 04 Explorer (not sure of towing capacity). I am looking at a Honda Pilot as well. I'd like a little better fuel economy than an Explorer. Any suggestions or tips?
  • cabennetcabennet Member Posts: 2
    I have purchased a used pop-up trailer. I currently have a 99 Windstar that is rated for 2000 lbs. It has no towing package. The trailer has a dry weight of 1640 lbs. I am thinking of trading up to a larger capacity tow vehicle. One salesman is trying to get me into a loaded 04 Explorer (not sure of towing capacity). I am looking at a Honda Pilot as well. I'd like a little better fuel economy than an Explorer. Any suggestions or tips?
    I would say the Pilot or the Explorer would both tow that trailer with ease. So get whichever you like better as a daily driver.

-mike
  • treehuggerjaketreehuggerjake Member Posts: 14
    I have never owned an SUV. I would like to purchase a new vehicle that can tow up to 6000, maybe even 7000 pounds, and also ride well. Which SUVs should I be test driving, and which trims/option packages do I need?
    First what do you plan on towing, and what weight? What terrain? etc. We can then go from there as to what to suggest for you.

-mike
  • lbotrlbotr Member Posts: 3
    For me I am towing a 17ft fish and ski, probably no more than 3500 to 4000 lbs., for lake concrete ramps, pretty flat terrain, occassional longer trips with boat when we take it with a camper. I was thinking about buying a vehicle to use just for that. then another for daily driving. If the vehicle was a used truck what kind? and what if an suv? What if either were newer, and used as a primary vehicle? Thanks,
  • britt22britt22 Member Posts: 17
    Help -
    I am currently considering purchasing an '07 Jeep Unlimited 4x4 with tow package for a tow capacity of 3,500 lbs.

We would be towing a boat/trailer dry of 2,000 lb.s

First question - I really would like this Jeep to be manual, but my husband says we are nuts to tow with a manual. He definitely wants it to be an automatic. I am curious to know what other more "seasoned" towers would say - stick with an automatic only? Or, are there any benefits to towing with a manual?

Second question - the sales person said a manual would give you more "torque" for towing - is this true?

And last, anyone have input or opinion to the '07 Jeep Unlimited for towing - good or bad??

Thanks for any and all input on any of the above questions - I am all ears.
    ALSO totally meant to ask pro's vs. con's of a manual vs. automatic on a boat ramp getting boat in and out.

Better to stick with automatic??? or, manual ????

Again - I am all ears to opinions, experiences, recommendations, etc, etc...... ???

ASAP if at all possible. Looking to buy/order an '07 Jeep Unlimited very, very soon here. Just don't know which to choose - if either?? Thanks!!!
    Automatics are much better for towing, especially boat ramps. On the manuals you will slip the clutch more and generally aren't good for towing.

The next question is how heavy will the trailer be as towed. (Fuel in the boat, coolers, gear, etc) and how much gear will go in the vehicle itself? The Wrangler is a good vehicle, but not a good tow vehicle though. I'd want to only tow about 75% of whatever the max towing is. So if the max is 3500 you are looking at around 2500 as your max useable towing at 75% of the rated level.

I'd look at something different if towing was what I was planning for the vehicle. How often and how far will also effect how good the Jeep would be for your application. Is it 5-10 miles to the lake? or is it 250 miles to the lake? etc.

-mike
    Thanks Mike - your input and time is MUCH appreciated.

We are actually looking to tow a Seadoo Sportster which total package (boat & trailer) weights 2,000 lb.'s dry.

Most driving would be close to home, but there would be occasional distant driving to further lakes here in Washington state - thus, some uphill grades.

Based on what you wrote, and what I have read else where (same rule of thumb of 75% max. towing) it sounds like we should be fine with the tow package put on - and knowing we might have to take it slow on the uphill grades.

And, it sounds like you definitely recommend staying with an automatic. Bummer for me, but good for my husband.
    My sailing buddy tows a 20' Ranger with a manual F150 - just a few trips a year (the boat lives in a slip for most of the summer), and it also weights in at 2,000 pounds (boat and trailer).

He hates the manual at the boat ramp and wishes he had gotten the automatic.
    Yup for that application the Jeep with the AT will do you fine as long as you get the tow package. Sportster is great, my buddy just traded in his 15' speedster w/215hp supercharged engine for the 20' speedster with twin 215hp supercharged engines. Great boats!

-mike
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I use canoes for that, and they ride on top of the minivan.

Steve, how well does your canoe pull a wakeboarder? I just hate to be polluting the lake if I don't have to. ;)

I know, it's old and all but you sent me here.
    Wakeboarders don't need speed, they just need a steep wave. So, maybe with a strong tandem team. ...

Have I got the deal for you:

Banshee Riverboards

No boat, no gas, but lots of towing. :shades:
    Don't worry you probably get better milage than I do with my boat :)

• 5213252132 Member Posts: 62
    You could tow something with a GM as long as it doesn't break down(which it usually does)
    As much as I hate to say it, Toyota has now trumped even a 2500 series Suburban/Yukon XL. IIRC the new Sequoia will tow 10,000lbs. Looks like Nissan, GM, Ford all need to step it up on their re-designs.

-mike
  • jniecejniece Member Posts: 1
    I know that they say it will only tow 8,000 pounds, will it tow a 11,000 lb three axle boat trailer from Minnesota to Florida once a year? What could I do to make it work? If not, what will tow it?
    It will likely tow it.

However, your insurance carrier for the boat, will not cover you in the event of an accident. They clearly state in most boat policies that they will only cover your boat in an trailer accident if the tow vehicle is rated from the manufacturer to tow it.

I have this issue with my armada right now, my triple axle baja performance boat trailer is about 10,500-11,000 and I'm rated at 9100lbs.

So from a practical point, yes you can tow it.

From a legal standpoint, nope.

:(

-mike
  • gleciousglecious Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a new 22 foot boat that weighs in at 4800lbs. I know, a Honda Pilot isn't the best for towing, especially over 3500lbs. I have the tow package that says I can go up to 4500lbs and have the 4WD version. If I'm only towing the boat on 35 MPH roads and for a limited time (5 miles at the most), do you think I'm ok? I take the boat out 3-4 times a year...I want to avoid damage to the transmission and want to make sure that the thing will actually pull the boat out of the water...
    How steep are those 5 miles of roads? How steep is the ramp? What does Honda's owner's manual say you need in terms of equipment to safetly tow 4500lbs (weight distributing hitch?) and lastly what does your insurance policy for the boat say about tow vehicle ratings? You wouldn't want to get in an accident and have them deny the claim due to over-weight limit towing.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • gleciousglecious Member Posts: 2
    The ramps are average with few hills after that. I've heard that the towing capacity is determined by the legal department more than the engineering team...thoughts?
    There's a reason for towing limits, and I don't think it necessarily begins in legal instead of engineering.

Utility Trailers are Dangerous
    Depending on the vehicle that is doing the towing, a lot of limits are set in the legal department. For instance I tow with my Armada a 10,000-11,000lb performance boat trailer. It's rated for 9,100lbs w/weight distributing hitch. It tows it fine and w/o issue, however, legally it's well over the limit.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • moms4x4moms4x4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee 4X4, with a 4.0 V6 and automatic transmission. I have a 23 1/2 foot Coachman camper trailer. The empty hitch wt. is 550, empty axle wt. is 3150, and the total gross axle wt is 5320. I am trying to find out if my Jeep can handle the load or not. Thanks
  • clumzyclumzy Member Posts: 1
    I have a toyota 4runner 2002 sport edition. Currently i am towing a 1400lb boat. the problem is how should i be towing it. i have a pwr button and overdrive button. i will be taking a 4 hour trip with the boat and am not trusty with the towning. what should i do before i take the trip and how should i be towing the 4 runner correctly? thanks
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    This is probably to late to help you for your trip. But, a 1,400 lb boat is basically a non issue for a 4Runner. Tow in O/D and drive at sane speeds and you'll be fine. If you tow up steep grades you may want to lock out o/d to keep the trans from shifting in and out of o/d.
This discussion has been closed.