Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

In the range of 40k$-80k$, which sporty all-around daily driver to choose?

cybernatoncybernaton Member Posts: 6
edited September 2014 in General
As I stated above, I am looking for such a car that I will use on highways and in urban cities (move and stop traffic) on daily basis. I am looking for a car that is fairly luxurious, sport-y and priced reasonably.

2015 Camaro 2SS, Mustang GT premium, Corvette C7 Z51, Mercedes E series Coupe, BMW 435i, Nissan 370z and Mercedes CLA45.

I was told to get a Camaro, which actually hyped me up after reading about the handling, performance and magnetic ride control, BUT the car itself is advertised in a weird way. The ZL1 gets MRC only, and the SS has terrible understeer; 1LE is out of the question since it offers stiff suspension and only manual.

The Ford Mustang GT premium looks really nice, but I am having my doubts about the new car and how it fares compared to the Camaro (the GT supposedly better). RIP old axle and suspension settings.

The new Corvette C7 with the Z51 is arguably my favorite car to get (and the least likely to get). It is, however "unpractical", which I don't agree with (choosing which car is not my decision completely).

I will most likely get the Mustang or the Camaro. The C7 is apparently expensive, loses price quite fast when you sell it and it is unpractical. The previous "flaws" are the arguments against getting one, but they are not completely true. The C7 has decent fuel economy, it is lighter, smaller and supposedly more comfortable due to MRC.

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,941
    What country/form of currency are we talking about here?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• cybernatoncybernaton Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2014
    qbrozen said:

What country/form of currency are we talking about here?

US dollars; I don't live in the US though.

I currently live in Middle East (United Arab Emirates to be exact). The market adjustment for some cars is a bit ridiculous; the Corvette LT3 Z51 2015 fully loaded is being sold for 96,000$/350,000 Dirhams, whereas it would cost 75,000$/276,000 Dirhams at most.

I can go over the budget for a bit, but practicality, costs of maintenance and selling price (after using the car for a couple of years) kinda matters more. I go over speed bumps on daily basis, so ground clearance is kinda an issue for some of the cars that I listed.
    that's going to make it REALLY tough ... hell, impossible ... for me to give any advice. Sorry.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

edited September 2014
    qbrozen said:

that's going to make it REALLY tough ... hell, impossible ... for me to give any advice. Sorry.

Ignore the budget; Which one do you think is the better all-around car? I might narrow down my choices to the Camaro, Mustang GT, E300-E500 and (the best option obviously) Corvette.

Looking at your signature, I would assume you would go with the new Mustang--unless you hate the new front and the fact that they got rid of the previous axle.
    edited October 2014
    qbrozen said:

I wouldn't say I hate it. Its a bit disappointing. I'm not a fan of the styling (reminds me of a Tiburon), and it gained weight, which is never a good thing. Heck, I would have to suggest to someone they pick up a leftover 2014 for a bargain, if they can find one.

I really dislike the Camaro just from a functionality standpoint. I can't see out of the damned thing. It is also a bloated pig.

Like you said, the Vette is way down on functionality. So if you have any need of backseats or storage room or daily livability, just forget about it.

The E coupe is a gorgeous piece, in my opinion. It is not something you take to the track, however. Quite a bit different than a Mustang.

You really have to weigh how much each aspect means to you. If comfort rises to the top and you have no concern of long-term maintenance/repair cost, than the E coupe is probably your car. If reliability, resale value, and performance are the main concerns, then the Stang or Vette should be top considerations. Then, between those 2 choices, deciding how much practicality weighs in.

You also might look into the Challenger Hellcat.

Thanks for the feedback.

The new Mustang is a dilemma. It beats the purpose of being a "classic" muscle car, but it is so good as a modern "European" car. I kinda miss the iconic front design; it is still a damn good car though. I find it a much refined version of the Camaro 2SS 1LE (minus the stupid stiff suspensions and manual gearbox).

The Corvette is REALLY that bad in terms of practicality? I personally don't care about the space that much, but my concern is speed bumps. Speaking of maintenance, I can afford it as long as it is not a Ferrari-level ridiculous; I've been using a Panamera S for a while and I maintenance have always been 500$+ (tires are 2200$, brakes are expensive..etc. but I can afford it).

Actually, a lot of people criticized the Panamera for being impractical. It is a sport-y and sensitive car; it only accepts premium fuel (you have to know very specific gas stations). It has small side mirrors, and the gearbox/PDK is not that good in the city--the combination of a bad dealership and gearbox issues are why I am selling the Panamera. It also relatively low to the ground, so speed bumps were annoying. At the top of that, it costs a fortune to maintain and get full insurance. I got around all of the said problems and I am used to driving a lowered car with blind spots (side mirror shenanigans), and having to stop on speed bumps (and try to dodge stupid SUV drivers who almost crash into me when I stop).

I am kinda obsessed with the Corvette. Compared to my current car, I will lose a couple of seats, trunk space and some ground clearance. Also, the 2010 Panamera seats are very stiff; everyone complains about them. I do get lower back pain from driving 100 miles every weekend LOL. I sat in my friend's 370z. It wasn't that bad; I can live with a car a bit more comfortable than that.

What you said regarding the Camaro is spot-on. I drive in heavy traffic on daily basis, and my college has some really crappy parking lots and nearby streets where the Camaro's size will be an issue.

I am guessing the E-class, Mustang or the Vette.

The Hellcat? The supercharger and 700HP are kinda....
    mmmm... I love the Panamera. But if that was bad on your speedbumps, I can't imagine the vette would be at all usable for you. Maybe you can borrow one and bring it to your campus to test out.

I'd imagine the IRS on the new Mustang would make it more comfortable for you. I haven't driven one myself to compare to mine. Mine is definitely harsh on bumps, though.

Maybe you should look at an M4? Not sure if the 435i will live up to your performance expectations. Maybe an S5?

edited October 2014
    qbrozen said:

mmmm... I love the Panamera. But if that was bad on your speedbumps, I can't imagine the vette would be at all usable for you. Maybe you can borrow one and bring it to your campus to test out.

I'd imagine the IRS on the new Mustang would make it more comfortable for you. I haven't driven one myself to compare to mine. Mine is definitely harsh on bumps, though.

Maybe you should look at an M4? Not sure if the 435i will live up to your performance expectations. Maybe an S5?

I actually thought about the 435i; it is definitely a well-rounded car.

The Mustang is well-received by reviewers for having a nice ride quality.

Speaking of the Panamera, it is by favorite car; I probably like it more than the Corvette. I like the mix of luxury and sport/performance; it is not for everybody though (which is why I liked it contrary to people who tried/used it). I would probably get another one as soon as I can afford it. The problem is the dealership. I almost sued them after they tried to charge me for something like 18k$ for THEIR fault when they changed the PDK gearbox oil (and let the car rot in a parking lot for months until the hydraulic system broke), which resulted in a cluster**** issues with the valve body. I got a one year warranty and I only payed a bit over 3k$. RIP my Panamera.

The Panamera wasn't harsh at all on speed bumps; it is just that I had to be careful, especially when I am using the lower suspension PASM settings. My friend's 370z did fine on speed bumps near the campus, so I'd assume the Corvette would be fine; it is just that you have to be careful with any low sedan or sports car in general.

Anyway, I will probably ask some dealerships tomorrow to get info and possibly book a test drive.

I decided to buy a Porsche Cayman GTS. Thanks for the feedback.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,068

I decided to buy a Porsche Cayman GTS. Thanks for the feedback.

I approve of this.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Cayman---Nice car as long as you aren't long-legged. Certainly a comfortable and durable car.