Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buying used Honda Odyssey EX-L 2006 or 2007 more than 80k miles?

jia2jia2 Member Posts: 2
Hello Folks
We are thinking of buying a used Honda Odyssey EX-L 2006 or 2007 which has more than 80,000 miles on it.

Any ideas if 2006 or 2007 would be the best to go for without any transmission, brake or enginer issues?

Any suggestions and advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Jia

Comments

• 01intrigue01intrigue Member Posts: 92
    Keep in mind that people with car problems will be more vocal than those without any. Our 2006 EX-L was bought new in Sept 2006, and we have had 143K miles of trouble-free driving on ours. Keep in mind that my wife drives most of the city miles,and she is a patient driver. The tach rarely goes over 3K when she's behind the wheel. I know folks who had pre-2005 Ody's with tranny issues, and still bought 2005+ versions to replace theirs, and had no trouble sinces. It really matters how it's been driven. With used cars, it's always about who owned the vehicle before you. For myself, I've bought nice sports sedans from retirees here in Florida. I just bought a 2003 Olds Aurora 4.0 with 22K miles on it that was a one-owner retiree-owned.
  • jansguyjansguy Member Posts: 1
    I've seen clues of electrical and mechanical problems on a number of carfax reports for 2007 and 2008 odysseys. am wondering how widespread and serious any problems are before I purchase one. Please send your comments...thx
  • jia2jia2 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Jansguy,
    can you post the Carfax reports for 2007 and 2008 odysseys with mechanical and electrical issues please. It would be very helpful for all of us who are in the market in buying these minivans.

I have been really searching hard on the mechanical issues and the main issue that I have read on various forums and also I asked an experienced car mechanical was the Transmission.

My other question was if this is a constant problem with the Tranny system how can we avoid it or how can we prolong the longevity of the tranny system?

- Would an external tranmission inline magnetic filter help?
    - Would an external inline tranmission cooler help to prolong the life of the transmission?
    - are there any other solutions or ideas that can help to prolong the life of the transmission?

I really like the Ody but been dreading about the transmission issue. Electrical issues can be resolved easily and are cheaper to fix. But transmission replacements are costly $$$$.

Again I would really like all the pros to suggest your opinions and ideas..

Thanks
    Jis
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    The transmission problems were for real but not nearly as widespread as the problem forums would indicate. Most people didn't have any problems. I know several people with over 200,000 miles that have never had troubles.

Problems get overblown in forums. I think misery does love company.
  • hotrimzhotrimz Member Posts: 2
    We had bought a used 2007 honda Odyssey EX-L with navigation and rear entertainment system. And it had about 72000 miles when we bought it. Also, the previous owner lived in Florida and I live in Chicago. This van has been through one winter and two summers and is remarkable! No sign of any transmission issues at all, all of the electronics work perfectly, navigation always gets us where we need. One of the problems I had noticed in winter is the power steering makes a whining sound. And during cold starts, the belts make a whining sound. We have made a couple long road trips during summer and the van was outstanding! Overall, my experience with this van is amazing.