Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Tires, tires, tires

Comments

• bretfrazbretfraz Member Posts: 2,021
    Did a little research for ya. There are lots of tires in size 215/70-15 (your OEM size), but not too many high performance ones. Going to 225 or 235 resulted in a few choices like the BFG Comp TA HR4-2 and the Michelin Pilot XGTH4.

If I switch to 215/65-15 (lower profile) you get xlnt choices: Firestone SH30, GY Eagle GT+4, Bridgestone RE930, The Michelin, and a few others.

All will work better than your OEM tire (Firestone Affinity?) but will probably wear out quicker. I'm sure you know better than I the importance of frequent tire rotations on a minivan.

Yes, wide usually means less wet weather performance as you have more rubber on the road to invite hydroplaning.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    I bought these tires almost 2 years ago 4 my Corolla and couldn't b happier. They're great on dry pavement and even better in the rain. Very pleased with them after all these months. Have 185/65/14's now and plan 2 uupgrade next time 2 195/60/14's.
  • hengheng Member Posts: 411
    With Uniroyal Laredos on a 4WD Jimmy. It wasn't deep but I didn't see any pavement for the entire distance. Maintained about 45-50 mph.

I was pleasantly surprised at how well the Laredos did. I would prefer a slightly more aggressive tread on replacement tires when the time comes.
  • mrl11777mrl11777 Member Posts: 154
    I recently replaced the General AmeriG4S (OEM) tires on my '98 Taurus with a full set of Michelin Pilot XGT H4 tires. The original tires had 24,000 miles on them and I was finally sick of the way they so easily lost their grip. This car has the 200hp engine, and it was way too easy to spin the wheels from a standing start, and if the ground was wet or if I was parked on any painted lines it would take a very light touch on the gas to get the car moving without any wheelspin. Also, these tires were lousy in the snow.

I also have a Taurus wagon (1992) and the OEM tires on that one were Michelins, and I have stuck with them and have always been happy with how the car handled. In fact, I thought that Ford had changed the suspension (for the worse) when they updated the car from the earlier generation, but they just went with a crappy OEM tire.

I put on these Pilots and the difference is like night and day. The car tracks straight as an arrow, sticks to the road in all types of weather and all of the engine power is now dedicated to moving the car forward, rather than being wasted as wheelspin. These tires give a tremendous feeling of security. In fact, the ABS was very easy to kick in with the old tires (at the foot of my driveway there is a lot of sand, and when I would slow down to turn into my driveway the ABS would often start to come on. With the Pilots, this no longer occurs. I have tested the stopping power of the car with these tires and it seems to me that the car stops quicker, and the ABS does not kick in as often).

I also think that this is a very cheap way to drastically improve the handling of most mass-market cars. I paid $101 per tire installed, which is double what it would have cost to replace the tires with the OEM ones, but I think that $400 is not a tremendous amount to spend on tires, especially since I typically get close to 50,000 miles on a set of Michelins on my other Taurus. I also went up one size on these tires, from 205/65R15 to 215/65R15. The cost was the same and I thought more rubber on the road would only be better.

When I replace my wagon I will junk the OEM tires on it and get a set of Pilots right away.
  • 00impala00impala Member Posts: 474
    I own a 2000 Impala LS, I have been looking for a Set of Michelin Tires to replace the GY Eagle GA's that it came with, I recently bought (4) Michelin X Radial Plus Tires at SAMS CLUB, I have not had them mounted yet, they are in the basement, (Bought them becase SAMS is a fair distance away) to be ready to put them on in the Spring (I have the GA'a on Steel Rims for Winter) anyway, I originally wanted Michelin Pilot XGT-H4's, Tire Rack and Discount Tire Direct have them on BACK order in 225/60/16...Should I have waited for the Pilot XGT H4's? I can still return the X-Radial Plus's.....I hear good things about the Pilots...Can anyone tell me if it would be worth the effort to return the X's to SAMS and wait for the Pilots? What is the greatest difference?...Is the X' Plus from Sams the same as a Michelin X-One from a Tire Dealer with a slightly different tread, the Specs are the same....? HELP!! Thanks Don
    Maybe I will just keep the Michelin X-Radial Plus Tires,They should be fine...I dread the thought of lugging the rims and tires around...and waiting for the others to come to my door...Don
    On a 3.8 Grand Prix. Much better than the GY LS that came from the factory. Also had them on a Windstar in 215/70/15 and they are much better than the XW4s that came on it.

The XGTs would have sharper steering response and more lateral grip than the X-ones. But the X-ones are plenty good on a powerful car like the GP and they would last longer the the XGTs. What is your driving style?
    Thanks for the response with a simular car and 3.8 Series II engine, and the same size tire to boot! My driving is just normal combination highway and suburb driving, Nothing really close to Rally driving, Just wanted to replace those Eagle GA's on my Factory 5 spoke rims, I had replaced the Generals on my 1993 Merc Sable with XW4's about 4 years ago, and liked them very much at the time, My only experience with Michelins.. that is why I wanted Mich's this time, I think maybe the XGT's may exhibit a little more noise and that is not what I am after..these X Radial Plus' will fit the bill, I also like the rather plain sidewall as opposed to all the grooves and Huge Letters & things on other tires as well...Thanks Again Don
  • mpg5mpg5 Member Posts: 68
    thank you yurakm and bretfraz. i really appreciate your help. time to race the minivan, hahaha. kidding of course.
  • tag2000tag2000 Member Posts: 4
    I am currently running Michelin Pilot DX MXM4 215/50R17. These are the stock issue on my Acura. The car's manners from 40mph-80mph are a bit on the jittery side. I have had all the mechanical checked out and they seem to be within spec. My dealer is offering to put any tire I want on the car. My problem is that I don't know what tire to go with. Most important is to get it to settle down a little.

If I do a direct size matched replacement, my options are limited. Either the Pirelli P7000, or the Dun lop SP5000. BTW, I'm in Michigan so all season is a must.

Or should I go with something else and try to match a size to my 17" rim?

Any help?
    Hmmm, I found 10 models at Tire Rack in size 215/50-17. Everything from a Yokohama Avid T4 basic touring tire at $88 to Bridgestone Expedia S-01 mega-performance tire at $221. Michelin, Goodyear, Firestone, Dunlop, and Pirelli all on the list.

I'd check out Tire Rack's survey results to get owners opinions on which of these work best in all weather conditions.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/index.html

• l943973l943973 Member Posts: 197
    I just purchased a set of Yokohama AVS db for my 99 RL in place of the Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus.

I would recommend these tires to anyone who feels the Michelins are too noisy and squeal too much when making quick turns.

I've already testing them in snow and rain and they work great. (snow being about 6', not much).

I do notice more road feel in the Yokohamas than in the Michelin, but the noise level is much lower.

The Michelins do offer a slighly better ride, but they feel loose in the rain.

My other tire consideration was the Dunlop D60A2 JLB. I had them on my previous Integra and liked it so much, I purchased a second set for it.
  • kinshasakinshasa Member Posts: 6
    My 18 year old son just bought a 1985 Camaro. The tires now on the car are Big O brand P235/R6015 (I think that last part's right). I checked with Big O here in town and the guy did recommend that particular size. We have no snow here in northern California, just a lot of rain at this time of year. My son thinks if he has a bigger tire on the car (I'm not sure what he means by that), the car would grip the road better. The current tires will need to be replaced in a few months. Any advice will be appreciated.
  • tag2000tag2000 Member Posts: 4
    Hmmm.... Tire rack. A yes, everyone's "expert". I thought I was pretty clear. All-Season usually denotes decent snow performance. So the Expedia is out. I really didn't think anyone would kick back the names Good year and Firestone. I guess I should have made my intentions for serious tires, more clear. The margin priced Yokohama's are eliminated by default. I have the Michelin now. Thus leaving the Dun lop and Pirelli.
    but when I respond I'm not only directing it at the respondee but also to lurkers and other passers-by. Just trying to do my part as a good TH citizen.

Hopefully a real live tire 'expert' will post a response to Tag's now crystal-clear question.
    Larger tires will hydro-plane sooner. (that's in the tires sliding up on a layer of water)Not good for rainy weather.

I have a teenager son too who thought he needed more tire (size) on his car (actually my car). I told him he is driving too fast if he thinks he needs more tire. And if he persists in this thinking then he can get his own car. I haven't heard anymore on this topic since then.
  • mbwilsonsmbwilsons Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for winter tires for a 2000 Buick Regal AS and a 2001 Saab 9-3SE. I live in the snow belt so traction is very important. I would like to get the best tire I can. Any advice?
  • mrh3108mrh3108 Member Posts: 41
    I'm under 65 and driving a Park Ave. Having been given the car by my mother I am in the process of replacing the Firestone Affinity's that are on the vehicle at the moment. Tire Rack rates the Affinity's at or near the bottom and from my experience I don't disagree.

I am looking for a good tire that will improve the handling of the vehicle and noise level. Granted you cant' do much to improve the Buick since it has the responsiveness of an ocean liner, but I want to try anyway.

I am seriously considering the Michelin X Radial Plus at Costco, or the Yokohama Avid Touring tire that is much more economical. Does any one have any thoughts or suggestions?
  • jurek2jurek2 Member Posts: 10
    Maybe winter tire survey will help you:
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/index.html
    And they were a noticeable improvement in handling and tread life over the original equipment Good Year LS and Michelin XW4. They handle well enough not to compromise the performance of a powerful sedan like the Grand Prix.
    The X-Plus have better turn in response and lateral grip than the previously mentioned tires. Which should make the X-plus signficantly better than the Affinity.
    Can't tell you anything about the Yokohamas
    Right here in TH Aftermarket & Accessories. All ya gotta do is scroll down:

/direct/view/.ee9539b/0

• mrh3108mrh3108 Member Posts: 41
    I replaced the Firestone Affinity's this weekend on my Park Ave with the Michelin X Radial Plus' at Costco.

The responsiveness improved substantially, however, the ride is not as soft as the ride I get on my Regal with Dunlop D-65's. You can definately feel the road with these tires.

It's still a good trade off. The Affinity's had a "squishy" feel and the car swayed considerably going around corners.
  • mrbizness1mrbizness1 Member Posts: 93
    I just purchased the Yokohama Aegis ls4 for my son's RWD Buick, they feel good, tonight it snowed and I was impressed with the traction. they were $48.00 each installed.
    I would like to replace the mx4's I my G/cv with these but they don't make them in 215 65 16
    anyone have any suggestions?
    Anyone have any advice on these 2 tires? My MX4's are due for replacement soon and I liked the meaty tread on both of these tires. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The Bridgestones are the Uni-T's or the Potenza's.
    What kind of car? What do you want the tires to do for you (except hold air)? What size?
  • ratman55ratman55 Member Posts: 1
    I've recently visited my nieghborhood Discount Tire Store looking for replacement tires for my truck. The salesman suggested one of their tires, the "Pathfinder Sport SUV". Suppose to be one of their best selling tire for the price...$77.00 ea.
    Anyone out there ever heard anything good or bad about this tire. Could use information on this matter.
    My car is a '96 Corolla DX with 185/65/14's on now. I want 2 upgrade 2 195/60/14's and have been told that this is ok. The tread will be a little wider and the height will be a little higher but won't rub or bottom out. I want a smooth ride and long lasting treads.
    Still struggling with this one, eh? Your current tires are probably close to bald ;-)

Well, the Yoko Avid H4 has a 45k treadlife warranty and are affordable at about $50/tire. In Bridgestone your only choice would be the Potenza RE910 with a 65k treadlife at about $60/tire. The Firestone Firehawk LH has a 65k and is about $60 as well.
    It's hard to find a tire in 195/60-14 that has a long treadlife offer. If you stay with the 185/65-14 then you could go to the Turanza T with an 80k.

Maybe you misposted, but the 195/60-14 are actually shorter by a tenth or so and will make your speedo run about 1% too fast. You should have no probs with rubbing.

Now go out and get you some new tires!!!
  • sxpoppsxpopp Member Posts: 7
    I need to replace all of the OEM tires on my 2000 Avalon XL. I found out from the dealer that the belts have shifted on my 205/65/15 General's. I can get a credit towards a new set. Would appreciate advice on which brand and size. Thanks.
  • slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694
    sxpopp:

I replaced the factory Dunlop SP 4000's on my Avalon with the Michelin Pilot XGT-H4's, and couldn't be happier.

With the Dunlops, I got too much road noise and a wallowing feeling. By going to the Michelins in a 215/60 R15, it changed the car completely. Not exactly a canyon carver, but WAY better than before.

Scott
  • iva3iva3 Member Posts: 1
    I need help.I want to now a better tire for my Odyssey than the Firestone Affinity.I need a tire with better ride,good grip in wet and lest tire noise.Can I change the size of the tires without afect the performance.I have Dunlops D60a2 in my Volvo 850 I like the tire but didnt come in the size for my mini-van.Thank for your help.
  • brucer2brucer2 Member Posts: 157
    Yes you can change tire size without a negative effect on performance. The things to avoid are a tire that doesn't properly fit on your rim (dia. and width, tire rubbing on the fender or suspension and speedometer accuracy. To do so you need to start with two pieces of information: the width of your rim/wheel (in your owners manual and/or on the wheel) and the revolutions per mile of your current tire (you can look this up on the Tirerack site by looking for the info on your tire). Then look up a tire you want and check its info. So long as the series is close (60-65, 65-70), the revs/mile are about the same (+/- 1.5%) and the new tire has a rim width range that matches your current rim width, you'll be OK.
  • ebreidebreid Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser with OEM 16x8 wheels and OEM 275/70-16 tires. I'd like to get AT tires both for better off-road performance and for looks (of course). Does anyone (tireguy?) know -- I mean really know -- whether I can run 285/75-16 tires without rubbing, decreased turn radius, affecting the odometer/speedo or gearing? Am I better off with the stock size -- which has very few options (Pirelli Scorpion AT or Michelin LTX AT) or with 265/75-16 which size is available in the same Pirelli and Michelin and also in the BFG AT TA KO and the Yokohama Geolander AT+. I drive 75% on road (in So. Cal.) and I'd like to keep dry pavement performance strong. Off road is mainly desert conditions. What's your advice on size and brand given the above?
    There's a link somewhere to a tire calculator that will tell you how much larger the 285/75's will be compared to the 275/70's. What I found was the new tire is significantly larger (4" larger diameter) and your speedo will be 13% slower.

Probably the only way you'll get specfic answers to your questions about rubbing, etc., will be to talk to people who do this for a living. Tireguy is long gone and may not have had the knowledge to provide. He was an installer at Sam's Club (although probably the best one they ever had).

If it were me, I'd be hanging out at Wheel Warehouse in Anaheim. If they can't tell you or help you, you're outta luck. Don't just call them - go there and talk to them.
  • brucer2brucer2 Member Posts: 157
    The best match for an all terrain tire is 265/75-16. You can look at survey results here:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/orat.jsp
  • microrepairmicrorepair Member Posts: 508
    The tire interchangeability calculator is at:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

• camryfancamryfan Member Posts: 17
    I need a new set of tires of size 195/70R14. Sam's is selling BFGoodrich Advantage Plus for $41.99 a piece with 60K miles warranty. I was told that this is the tire made by Mechelin. Anybody know how good this tire is and what is the Mechelin equavalent? Sam's does not have Mechelin X-Radical plus for the size.

Thanks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's my understanding that Michelin North America owns Uniroyal/Goodrich, but other than that, beats me:-). You might try looking at www.tirerack.com and seeing if there are any consumer reviews over there, while waiting for someone to post here.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    The BFG Advantage is NOT a Michelin tire (irregardless of corporate affiliations, just like a Chryler minivan is not a Mercedes). It will be a so-so tire. You get what you pay for.
  • steve234steve234 Member Posts: 460
    Originally, BF Goodrich was one of the largest maker of tires in NA. It was about third behind GY and Firestone, with some good tires and some so-so. After poor bargaining tactics with the unions, they began to get hurt by cheaper imports. When the crunch hit, the unions would not give any concessions and they closed many of their US plants, eventually selling out to Michelin. The tires are decent and the truck tire series is highly ranked. Considering the cost of a top-line Michelin for your size, I would go with the Michelin, but if price is the main consideration, the BFG is fine. Check out www.tirerack.com for their evaluation and make your decision.
    Thanks for the input -- especially the link to the tire size conversion calculator. Based on this info, I am going with stock size or the 265/75-16 size -- not larger. Now, what's everyone's opinion on the best AT tire (price NOT being an issue) for 75-80% on road, 25-20% off, between: Michelin LTX AT vs. BF Goodrich TA KO vs. Pirelli Scorp. AT+ vs. Yokohama Geo. AT+ ??? Good dry road grip is important (I live in SoCal). Remember, assume price is not an issue! Thanks for the advice.
  • dshenmdyndshenmdyn Member Posts: 34
    Hi,

Has anyone used "General Tire Touring A/S" before? I found it at "America's Tire Co." (also its web site www.tires.com).

Seem to be reasonable priced. But I could not find any info from General Tire's web site (www.generaltire.com). Is it possible that this model is specially made for America's Tire Co. ? Any suggestions?

Thanks.
    Michelin LTX AT vs. BF Goodrich TA KO? Which is better regardless of price? Which handles better on road. Is the Mich. decent off-road? Whaddya think?
  • hb396hb396 Member Posts: 15
    I read somewhere that dressings with alcohol tend to crack sidewalls? I've used several and prefer Eagle One Wet Tire Shine. Anyone know what's best? I'm new to this board and enjoy reading the early posts. Anyone know what happended to tireguy?
  • vernlewvernlew Member Posts: 87
    David,
    the General brand...is not considered to be an outstanding tire in any area IMO and Consumer Reports (see Nov 2K and Mar 98 issues). Also, check out tirerack.com for survey results...you will see they don't rate very high there either. I would only pick this tire if I were putting them on a car I was planning to sell/trade in. There are better tires for not much more $$$.
    Vern
  • lwittorflwittorf Member Posts: 96
    I have had 3 sets of the michelin LTX tires 1 15" and 2 16" and have had nothing but good luck with them but I always have them sipped before they ever hit the road and I don't use them for winter driving as I don't feel that they have soft enough rubber to get a good grip on ice and snow that we have here in NE Washington. On wet and dry pavement they have given good mileage and good stopping power and are quiet in compares ion to others I have ran.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    I would personally recommend the BFG All-terrain T/A KO tires. Everyone I know that has them has been very pleased with their performance. Many off-road pro-truck championships run these tires and they appear to work well, despite the strains that they are put under in those competitions.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    I personally use TurtleWax's Tire shine product, as well as Meguiar's Tire care product. I believe Consumer Reports has tested both and has found that both work well and won;t dissipate after only a few days (the latter product was slightly better, I think).

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • rio3rio3 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2001 SE and don't want to replace tires with Firhawks. It seems there is a new Bridgestone Potenza RE950 coming out March 1. Anyone heard anything good about these tires? They are supposively using the same design/technology on these hi-performance all seasons as they have been using on the ultra-hi pole position line. Can anyone recommend any other tires. I need good wet/snow grip, but want an excellent performance tire...
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    Did you try the Firehawk?

Firehawk SH-30 received the top rating for user satisfaction in the all-season performance tires category. Better even than Michelin Pilot XGT H4. This is according the tirerack user survey:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/hpas.jsp

I bought the SH-30 for my Malibu last fall, drove them through winter, and like them very much. In my experience the tires are very good for dry weather, and outstanding for rain. Practically no difference.

I live in Connecticut. Hilly winding New England roads. This winter was rather wet, and I had a lot of opportunities to test the tires. The last time was Sunday Feb 25, when I drove 50-60 miles: one way just after freezing rain (it was slippery, hard to walk), and back in heavy rain.

For snowstorms the tires are good, but not outstanding.