Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Tires, tires, tires

Comments

• wamba2000wamba2000 Member Posts: 146
    The Hankook 418's are rated for 60,000 and are supposed to be built for small SUVs. I'm looking at them for replacement on a Honda Element, but will be 99% on city/highway usage.
    Let me know your feedback on their performance, as they are relatively new and I can't find much written. Sounds from your comments that they work fine, you are just looking for more of a heavy duty off road tire?
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    I own neither tire, but since you have posted in two different forums without a reply, I'll try and help. Reading these forums, my consensus is the TripleTred owners are satisfied more than the ComfortTred owners. You can search the forums for the tire and you'll see for yourself. Last but not least, if you have 16" wheels, you may want to consider the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S.
  • mrbizness1mrbizness1 Member Posts: 93
    Have you looked on the tire rack's website. I found a few there

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/
  • golicgolic Member Posts: 714
    Does anyone have experience with this Tire?

I am looking to replace the tires on my Honda Odyssey. And I was leanng towards the GY Triple treds.

But notice that the Yokahama's score similar in both Consumer Reports and at the Tire Rack. The Yokahama's come with the same 98 load rating as my current tires and manual recommends. And the Yok's ( can I call them that?) are about $30 cheaper per tire.

Appreciate any thoughts.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    I totally misjudged where the curb was today and scraped my alloy wheel pretty badly. It's definitely into bare aluminum. Is there anything that can be done or is it scarred for life?

I've been driving alloy wheel cars for 10 years and never done this. The car is only 11 months old so I'm pretty upset as you can imagine. :cry:
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    I don't trust Tire Rack ratings very much. I suspect some of the reviews are "plants."

Consumer Reports, on the other hand, rated GY Triple Treads #1. End of story. The Yokohama TRZ's are about four levels lower in the ratings. The Yokohama TRZs are actually of interest to me, but only because I have minivan with a 4 cylinder and the TRZ's weigh a lot less than the Triple Treads. The TRZ's, however, have poorer steering response according to CR, I believe. So there are money trade-offs and performance trade-offs.

In addition, there are a lot more places selling GY and hence it may be easier to get a good price. Sears has sales on them; Americas Tire Store/Discount Tire Store has pretty good prices and many of their locations will Road Force balance them for you for $10 per tire extra. Road Force balancing is the closest thing to factory balancing which not only balances the weight, it matches high and low spots (wheel vs. tire) for a MUCH smoother ride.

$120 is what - a couple of tanks of gas?
    hey Mic,

I am going to check out Sears. I was concerned about the GY have a 97 load factor. As the Ody tires have a 98 load factor. I called TireRack and was told that there is nothing wrong with putting a 97 index tire on the car.

I asked what he thought about the GY and the Yokohama and he thought the GY was an excellent tire but it was a "directional" tire which he told me means you can not rotate them. He said that will reduce tread life and increase noise as the tire gets older.

So, I am down to those two tires and will decide which I prefer. In reviewing the CR score, it seems the Yoko recieved only good scores in "cornerning" compared to excellent for the GY. But the Yoko was rated higher in emergency handling, hydroplaning, and overall comfort.
    You can rotate directional tires, but only straight front, straight back, and not "X" style. This means you can even out the extra wear and tear of the front wheel drive (which I think is more important) but can't rotate the tires in reverse and try to even out any feathering (?) (uneven wear on the leading edge?).

I don't think the directional thing is that big a deal.
    I completely forgot I have a costco membership. what do you think of the Michelin X Radial DT?
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    The Tires Plus guy said this is happening to my Bridgestone Turanza LS-T's with only about 18k miles on them. What exactly does this mean and what are the causes and remedies to prevent them from feathering much more. I have the tires rotated with every 4k oil change and keep about 33psi per tire. They were even rebalanced at last weeks oil change...I've got lifetime balancing with the road hazard option.
    And has anyone have any good things to say about Cooper Lifeliner tires? I really like a meaty tread on my tires with excellent wet traction, as we have mucho rain here in South Florida. They looked pretty meaty to me online. Also, can someone recommend some other tire brands with a meaty tread?
    TIA in advance guys. I don't need tires quite yet, but will eventually if I end up keeping the Sentra.

The Sandman :)

Sorry for all the questions!
    Hey Sandman, connor at the tire rack and two other tire people have hit me with the "go with the bridestones".

Let me ask you this, did you get an alingment done when you got the tires put on? If not, when was the last time you had a wheel alignment?
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    I had this once, and IIRC is was from being out of alignment.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• cc72cc72 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks, micweb and mrbizness1 for your replies. I actually found a used tire store that charged me $25, including installation. The used tire was like new, with relatively no wear on the treads.
  • 1racefan1racefan Member Posts: 932
    My wife has a set of Cooper Lifeliners on her fwd sedan, and really likes them. They are pretty quiet, and ride very smooth. They only have about 10K on them, so I can't comment on durability.

Another tire I have heard good things about traction wise is the BFGoodrich Traction T/A. However, I hear that they can produce a lot of road noise if not rotated regularly.
    You said, in part:

I actually found a used tire store that charged me $25, including installation. The used tire was like new, with relatively no wear on the treads.

SUPER!
    You asked:

I completely forgot I have a costco membership. what do you think of the Michelin X Radial DT?

I think they are the best - although rated #2 on the Consumer Report website, I still think Michelin's have a little edge over the GY Triple Treads.

Between the GY and The X Radial, I think you are fine. The Yokohama is a great tire too, but has fewer sales outlets.
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    I have an '03 MPV that originally came Dunlops (which I absolutely hated BTW). I replaced them with Yok avid tourings and I love these tires! I've also never had a set of Goodyears I've liked.
    Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I had the car aligned when the shoes were new and twice since then, I have a 3 year alignment policy. So basically I've had the car aligned every 4.5k miles. The treads are still somewhat deepish and the traction is almost as good as when new, but not quite. Really hate to put new shoes on her, as I maybe drive 9k miles a year, only at 27+ right now. Will be replacing the Sentra probaly for a '08 model car.
    First order of business will be to get an alignment next week. I think my policy runs out in November.

I have talked with the tire rack, costco tire center, JustTires, read CR, and EVERYONE has different opinions on what is the best tire for the car *sigh*

CR and Tire rack survey rank the GY Triple assurance tred as top tire. But Connor at TireRAck says don't put this on a minivan.

Tire rack says the Bridgestones Turanza LS-H. However, these have a very low overall score on CR.

CR's #2 was the Michelin X Radial DT, Costco says the HydroEdge is a better tire I should do that one instead.

Then of course there is the Yokohamas Avid TRZ, which very high ranked but every tire shop says don't use.

I am at the point I will just put the four choices in a hat and whatever I pull out is what I go with for my 2003 Honda Odyssey. *rattle*

Am I just making too much of this *ranting and kicking*
  • dougb10dougb10 Member Posts: 185
    For what it is worth, I have had Bridgestone Turanza LS-H tires on my '05 Subaru Outback Limited for a year now. Absolutely love them! Super in the rain too.
    I plan to put them on our '03 Camry XLE when the Michelin's wear out.

Doug
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    Pick the tires you think you may be interested in and read the customer reviews posted on the Tire Rack's web site. Some of the tires have literally hundreds of reviews so even if some of those are "planted", you're still going to be reading a vast majority of reviews posted by actual owners. That's how I ended up with the Yokahama Avid Tourings on my MPV and the Kumho Touring 795's on my Tercel. I am extremely happy with both tires and both were amoung the least expensive in their groups.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Why was Conner not recommending the Goodyear Tripletred for a minivan? At another MPV forum there are several members who have them on their minivan and love them. A few other really like the Hydroedge. One member recently bought the Goodrich Traction T/A...which is rated #1 at tirerack.

I really like the Yokohamas Avid TRZ ( have the T4's), they look quite a bit like the Goodyear Tripletred I believe.

I went thru the same thing about selection your going thru golic...it can drive you crazy if your not careful. ;)
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    I need a break from tires today, but here is what connor said in his email to me:

I would still recommend the Bridgestone Turanza LS-T as the best tire with the Yokohama TRZ second. Personally i would not recommend the Goodyear Tripletred for any type of van, SUV, or truck. The Bridgestone would offer the best overall ride quality as well as the best traction levels in dry, wet, and snow condition out of the three tire listed.
    Golic,

Got 'em and love 'em! Have 18k miles on 'em and they are still deep in tread. Had the alignment done about 5 pm tonight
    and it was out just a bit on one side. The tire guy today said next time do a simplified X rotation, where the left front goes on the right rear and the right front goes on the left rear and bring the back 2 straight up front. He said this should smooth out any more feathering and keep up with this rotation pattern.
    Sounds simple enough for me. But really, the LS-T's are exceptional tires, and your car will ride so much better!

• kenndallaskenndallas Member Posts: 7
    Before I spring for new tires on my '04 G35 Coupe, I need some input. My coupe has the stock 17" wheels, Goodyear Eagle 245/50-17's on the rear, and at 30K miles, stright from the factory. Only the center is worn out. NO, they are and have not been over inflated. I set tire pressure when the tire is cold. Someone suggested this type of wear might be due to the tire size not suited to the wheel width.

Any suggestions??
  • waiwai Member Posts: 325
    The same happens to my 04 Jetta GLI, but mine is the front stock junk tire (225/45-17). So I changed at 13,500 miles two months ago. I think you have travelled a lot on straight highway. BTW 30,000k Miles will be the end of your tire life.
    Hey....Texas is mostly flat!! And mine's an automatic. I called Infiniti and they basically said they had not heard of this complaint. There is SO much tread outside of the center though. I let some air out and will continue to run them for a while.
    Where do you get alignments done?? Dealer???
    What I mean is there is so much torque on the rear driving wheels going on a straight road, tire wear on the center is normal. Its has nothing to do with manual or automatic. Be careful of tire failure if you loose too much air and if the tire has reached the treadmark.
  • wilcoxwilcox Member Posts: 582
    1996 Toyota Camry V6 with over 100k miles.

Walmart has Goodyear Viva 2's. They are "S" speed rated with Traction "B" and Temperature "A".

Do you have experience with them? No one has written about them here for a year or two.

At about $59+ for a ~60,000~ mile tire would you think they'd be worth it? Or a try?

Does anyone reading this have any thing bad to say about them?

wil

p.s. believe it or not, I can drive in the middle of the road for most of my work day commute due to somewhat "rural" conditions.
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    Let me expand on this a bit.

Front tires tend to wear on the shoulders due to the tire folding under during cornering.

Rear tires tend to wear in the center due to the (generally) lower load.

HOWEVER, drive tires tend to have more rapid wear, and this is generally in the center.

The net effect is that on FWD cars, the front tread wear tends to be even but 2 1/2 times faster than the rears.

On RWD, the wear rates are close to the same, but they wear in different locations - front = shoulders, rear = center.

That's one of the reasons tire rotation is important. Not only does it tend to even out the wear, but you gain a little bit of extra life.
    Thanks for your explanation, In my case of FWD mostly on highway without cornering, the wear is mostly on the center and the shoulder is still very good, only a little more wear than the rear shoulder.
  • 93illini93illini Member Posts: 4
    Golic,

To add to your confusion - check out Nokian WR. That and the GY Fortera Tripple Tred were on my short list for my wife's Honda Pilot. Both carry severe winter weather ratings AND temp/traction data.

Going with the Nokian as I'm not a big fan of GY. That, and the WR has more in-market data/history.
    I believe the Viva which is only sold only at Walmart was called the Decathlon when it was sold at Goodyear stores several years ago. It was their low end tire back them. Walmart markets them as a touring tire. the traction and temp rating you quoted are where most all season tires are
    rated. I would shop around a little before making a decision. A Camry with a 100k has a lot of life left in it.
    good luck
  • mazda6iguymazda6iguy Member Posts: 365
    I have a 2003 Mazda 6i sedan (4 cyl.) with tires size P205 60 R16. The OE tires on the car are Michelin MXV4 Plus XSE. I am thinking of getting the Goodyear Tripletred but am open to suggestions.
    My company has a 2002 Ford E250 Extended cargo van. We bought the truck new. We barely drive it (only 12,000 miles on the Odo)! The tread on the tires are great. It got me to thinking how much life the tires have left on them? Is age a factor in replaceing a tire? So far, they still look great.
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    Yes, age is a factor, and this is the current hot topic in the tire industry. Most tire manufacturers have come out with age limits (Some vehicle manufacturers, too!) Some say 6 years from the date of manufacture, some say 10 years. My read on the difference is that it depends on ambient temperature.

So if you live in a hot climate, 6 years is the limit, and if you live in a cold climate - 10 years. My take on what is "hot climate" is: AZ, CA, NV, NM, TX, and FL. The further north you go, the limit would be in between. For example TN would be 8 years.

To tell the date of manufacture of a tire, you need to find the DOT number - a 10 to 12 digit number (letters, too!) near the letters "DOT". The last 3 or 4 digits indicate the date of manufacture in a week/week/year or week/week/year/year format.

For example: If the last 3 digits are 359, the tire was produced in the 39th week of 1999 (or 1989, or 1979). If the last 3 digits are 3501, the tire was produced in the 35th week of 2001.

They started using 4 digits in mid 1999 and 3 digits was still used until mid 2000, so you will find some tires both ways in this time frame.

Put another way, if you live in AZ, you ought to take off any tire that has 3 digits for the date code and anything that ends in 6, 7 8, or 9.

Hope this helps.
    Walmart has been upgrading its tire selection considerably - if you know how to shop. In the past they could actually order for you, but prices were not that good and it was slow and difficult. Now, you can go to walmart.com and choose from much better tires than they generally sell in the stores - still at great prices. They ship free to the Walmart of your choice where you get them installed for $9.95 - which includes mounting, tire stems, balancing, and disposal of old tires. It's a pretty darn good deal.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    Do they include a lifetime balance and rotation in the $9.95?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Is Sams Club / Wal Mart a good place to get tires? I am going to get Goodyear TripleTreds and in comparing prices for a set of four Sams club comes out to $419 vs. $587 from another local tire dealer. Opinions? I assume the $419 includes mounting/balancing, etc. but I did not find out from the Sams Club website.
  • rs_pettyrs_petty Member Posts: 423
    My experience with wholesale clubs and Walmart have been the guy doing the installing isn't trained or well supervised. I've had wheels butchered with errant impact guns, multiple trips to the balance machine, and poor service. I found a local shop from the installer list in tirerack and have used him for the last 2 sets of tires. In both cases 1st job was done right. I paid about $60 for the set of 4 which, IMHO was well spent.
  • wilcoxwilcox Member Posts: 582
    Yes, From coast to coast where there is a service facility in their store that does tires.

As last poster mentions, employees working in those centers come and go.

I had tires replaced last week. Installer did not secure one of the wheel covers on passenger side very well. I found it almost half off when I got home. Lucky me.

When doing business with any installer, have them inspect the vehicle before installation (noting existing situation of condidtion).

After installation, go inspect your car before you pay. If there is a new scratch, dent, or broken wheel cover or anything of this nature, then let the clerk know. You'll have the power..
  • themugsterthemugster Member Posts: 7
    Hi, all...my first post ever. I'm the happy owner of a 2004 Volvo S60-R w/all the premium/upgrade packages except ground FX, which looked to be just cladding, after all. I'm a few weeks away from swapping off the Blizzaks for new summer tires and wondered if anyone out there has any info to suggest that I should look beyond the Pirellis that came stock with the car, which were Z-rated P-Zero Rosso, 18x8 (235/40). I have no complaint with the Pirellis, but since there are other tires out there I thought I'd check on other folks' experiences with different brands. Although I'm not married to them, I've been getting my tires for years at Tire Rack, and within my parameters there (on their website, I mean), the options appear to be Dunlop, Conti, Michelin Pilot, Bridgestone Potenza, and of course the Pirellis. If I could pick up a bit more grippiness on wet, I'd be even happier, and would trade down to a V-rating for that, if necessary. Not counting their "closeout" sales on a couple of different Continentals, the price spread is only about $50 per tire, so in the overall scheme of things that's not an important factor for us. Volvo Racing's new theme is our goal: Safety Fast!
    Thanks in advance for any insights and experiences you can share.
    Tom in Albany, NY
    (I'll post this in both the "Volvo S60" and the "Tires" discussions.)
    I think so far Dunlop SP9000 is still the best wettest grip among all the summer performance tire. with 280 thread rating. I replaced the stock tire with SP9000 and can drive very steady in the heavy rain. Also the ride is not so harsh as other summer performance tires. Right now they are on sale in Tirerack.
    I had some Goodyear's put on by Walmart several years ago. The install was quick, the extra road hazard was reasonable. But when I went back to have the free rotation done they were always busy and had a few hour waiting time. I purchased a road hazard warranty from a Goodyear store on some Aquatreads, blew one out in a snowstorm. The damaged tire had about 15k on it, wife brought it to the Goodyear's store, they charged me $65.00 for the replacement which included charges for mounting, balancing, and another new valve stem. The valve stem BS ticked me off. I find it better to go to a local tire only store, they get any tire you want and send you to a local shop to have them installed. They charge about $10.00 more than the tire rack on the average but include the install and with a cash payment no tax.
    Lost 15 lbs. of air since Friday nite and the car pulled to the right. Found a screw in the outer 1/3 near the side wall and not really sure if it can be patched. I do have a road hazard policy on the tire and if they have to replace it, I'll still have to pay something. All the tires have about 20k miles on them and am not quite sure what happens when you only put 1 new tire on with the same tread (hopefully). Will the car ride the same with a brand new 1 and the 3 older tires? And if they can't get a matching tire, what happens then, as there would be 2 different treads on the same axle.

The Sandman :confuse:
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    Make sure they put a patch on the inside to prevent air leaking past the plug.

If it's where I picture, I have had repairs done for nails there.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    If it's in the tread, chances are they can patch it, and you can still use it. If not, then I'd recommend getting TWO new tires, whether or not it's covered by road hazard. I wouldn't recommend putting two different types of tread, or riding with 1 new and 3 older tires.
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    It depends on the tread depth or remaining life. I have some Michelin X LTs from Walmart. They have about 55K miles and still have quite a bit of depth before hitting the wear bars. Say, maybe 70-80 K before they are worn out. I would probably say you are okay with 1 new one and the 3 older ones if there in not too much wear. On the other hand, if they are over halfway down to the wear bars, I would consider replacing both on that axle. This can be checked with a depth guage. Find out the original tread depth when new and then the remaining. This is usually how they check to see how much to pro-rate on a replacment if necessary under a warranty or road hazard. Any tire shop will have one of these.

IF you have an AWD vehicle or even a 4 wheel drive of some types ( Isuzu TOD for example), it is not a good idea to have tires with different diameters since the sensors can be confused by the different rotational speeds.. I don't think you have this issue since you did not say you had a AWD.

Also, if they shop sayes they can't get the same tire, I would push for them to replace at least the 2 on the same axle. After all, they did sell you the insurance against just this happening. At worst I would consider paying for the % of the other tire used but not feel that I should have to pay any of the additional mounting, etc. since they cannot completely fulfill their obligations. I could have an issue with Wal-Mart on my Michelins... I don't see that they sell these Select LT radial X series any more...so, if I did need one replaced it would be interesting to see if they could dig one up or try to 'convert' me to something else like the Michelin Cross Terrain that I think they are selling now.
  • catworkercatworker Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    I own a 2005 Chevy Express 3500. I'm interested in changing out the steel 16 x 6.5 rims with chrome centers for the 16 inch Polished aluminum rims that are available on the 2500HD LT model pickups. Can I make the swap?