Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Tires, tires, tires

Comments

• mazda6iguymazda6iguy Member Posts: 365
    Would your advice also go for Sams Club? Also, what about ordering tires that are not offered on the shelf? IE GY Tripletreds through Wal mart or Sams?
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    Thanks a lot for the insider's view! Douglas is owned by one of the larger tire makers - Goodyear I believe...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You need a scorecard to keep track of tires. Douglas is a house brand of Kelly-Springfield.

Kelly-Springfield is a division of -- yep, you're right on the money -- Goodyear Tire and Rubber.

I quit searching around after a minute so I don't know if the brands still line up that way. :shades:

Steve, Host
    Connor has always been a great supporter over at his own message board at Edmunds. My wife got a new car - a PT Cruiser - the base model with steel wheels and wheelcovers - but as luck would have it, Tire Rack now offers some very inexpensive, and very light, aluminum wheels as replacements. For much less than it would have cost at the dealer, we are going to have upgraded wheels and slightly better (Bridgestone 950) tires.

I went against the contemporary movement to larger wheels. Since we were replacing wheels anyway, I could have upgraded to 16" wheels and gotten a lot wider tread, too; but when I compared weights, I finally realized that up-sizing has a real weight penalty. As a former bicycle rider, I've never forgotten the rule of thumb that weight at the wheel rim affects acceleration much more than weight on the frame - that old centrifugal force issue. So we stuck with 15" wheels. That will give us the best protection on badly surfaced roads, too.

Thanks Connor!
    The real question is, how much technology sharing goes on, and does Goodyear keep a tight rein on Douglas quality control? In the "very old" days companies would run separate plants with the prior work force, including designers - the conglomerate approach. In the "recent old" days, companies would only keep the brand, and consolidate design and manufacturing in their own plants (so that Douglas and Goodyear and Kelly Springfield might all march off the same manufacturing line). These days, who knows? A totally separate division, or a brand?

BF Goodrich is owned by Michelin; Continental bought Barum (?) tires in the country formerly known as East Germany. I suspect those brands are more the conglomerate approach.

Who manufactures Dayton? Bridgeston? They even include some Bridgestone branded technology (Uni Q?) in their promotional materials?
    Anybody have experience with Kumho A/S 795 Tires?
    Yep, Dayton is now a Bridgestone brand. Interesting comments about the conglomerate approach. I suppose it's also possible that Goodyear could contract with, say, UniRoyal to make some tires.

You can look up the factory where your tires were made with the DOT code on the tires.

Steve, Host
  • golicgolic Member Posts: 714
    I have found that everyone was willing to "match" prices on tires. When I was shopping tires I picked a few and looked up prices on the TireRack. If I went to a shop, and said Tire Rack has them cheaper they offered to match.

And to my absolute surprise, I was at my Honda Service Center for something unrelated and while waitng was talking to a service center guy. After he tried to sell my the symmetry's I said I was looking at GYs or Yokohama's and he told me he could special order any tire and would match the Tire Rack in price.

Costco, has a different approach. And this could be why the WalMart guy was always able to beat Costco.

It is ONE single price that includes everything, vavle stems, balancing, and all that other typical add-on stuff. Plus they will give you "free rotations" and service oriented things.

I am not one who will go out of my way to get the tires rotated. My tires get rotated because i am there for an oil change or other service issue. So those special perks really never do anything for me.
  • tireguytireguy Member Posts: 200
    Normally I wouldn't recommend downgrading the speed rating. But I think in this case the manufacturer put those tires on for appearance, not for high-performance. Sixty-series tires are most commonly designed for medium performance vehicles, and given an H rating. I think you would be happy with a T rated tire on a Mazda MPV. If you're an overly aggressive driver, just know that it might handle a little less crisp as you dive into that exit ramp at twice the posted speed. If you're a normal, conservative driver, sit back and enjoy the extended tire life.
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    Hum... Wal-Mart and Sam's both have the one price mount/balance/lifetime rotation/road hazard package for about $10 a tire. My experience at Walmart has been that if you go in on the weekend or other busy time for oil change AND tire service, it takes 3 times as long since you have to get in line for both. I used to get up early and be there 30 minutes before the auto service opened to be first in line. Now I pay a few buck more to get one of the oil change chains to change my oil, usually on the way home from work when I catch them with a coupon and not busy. I still take my tires to Walmart for the lifetime rotation and BALANCE. Now I try to get by there during the week on the way to work and not kill 2-3 hours early Saturday or Sunday at Walmart to get that done.
  • neusepirateneusepirate Member Posts: 2
    I currently have 235/75/15 tires on my Chevy C-10, the speedo. is about 5 mph off. I need new tires so I have decided to buy a larger tire to off-set the speedo. problem and give the truck a "beefier" look. I have looked at 265/75/15 which will solve the speedo. problem, but, all I have been able to find were "all-terrain" tires that really do not suit my needs on a 2 wheel drive truck, price is an issue also, any suggestions?
    30-day, no-obligation trial....

Goodyear Rolls Out "Quiet" Eagles (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • daryll44daryll44 Member Posts: 307
    I have a 2003 Mercury Mountaineer (but I call it an Explorer since most don't tune into what a Mountaineer is but everyone knows Explorer). I want to install Michelin-made-for-Sears XC LT4 tires like I had on my old '99 Explorer. But they don't make them in the 17 inch size that the Mountaineer requires. I know that Michelin makes three different tires for this vehicle (maybe more). What is the Michelin tire that is essentially the same thing as the XC LT4? That was the absolute best tire I've ever owned in 30 years of driving.
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    Michelin LTX. I would agree I have 535,000 or so on the LTX's.
  • daryll44daryll44 Member Posts: 307
    That would be a miracle. I assume you meant 53,500 which is still superexcellent.
    No, not a miracle, but over a few sets obviously. :)
    It's been slightly over 5 years since I went from an urban rat to a suburban commuter; from 3,000 miles a year to 30,000 miles. In that time, I have let my "inner enthusiast" come out and bought, sold, and driven a lot of cars - mainly what used to be called "economy cars" but are a lot better than that breed used to be in the 70's (I suppose if you put an oversize muffler on most of these cars and slammed them, you could call them "sport compacts").

In that period of time I have chased after the Holy Grail of "good tires" only to be disappointed time after time. I have tried, afermarket, Falken Ziex 512's based on Consumer Report's recommendation; several sets of Bridgestone 950's based on Tire Rack recommendations; some Dunlop Sport A-2's; some Kumho 716's and Solus; and BF Goodrich T/A's and Traction T/A's (in both H and V ratings). This list may not be complete! And it doesn't include the many "factory stock" tires my cars came with.

I have discovered that, contrary to many, many Tire Rack customer reviews and ratings, OEM tires are NOT the dogs they are said to be. Goodyear LS tires on a VW Golf/PT Cruiser are GREAT tires. GY Integrity on a Dodge Caravan really got me through some Tahoe snow, despite their awful Tire Rack ratings, and drive quiet and handle well. Dunlop Sport A2's, despite great online ratings, handled no better than Goodyear's in the mountains, but squealed on gentle curves and in parking ramps. Kumho HP4 716's were quieter, but handled no better than GY LS's; their replacement, the Solus KH16, had a quick turn-in, but were noisier and harder riding. Continental Touring tires are quiet, smooth, and turn and handle well, despite bad online remarks.

In fact, the only two times I REALLY improved my performance were replacing Goodyear GA tires on a Neon (they didn't handle very well) and when I replaced the RSA tires on my Focus ZX3 with Kumho KH16's - but the RSA's were fine - the Kumho's just had sharper reflexes.

So I am shutting down my quest for the Holy Grail of tires. OEM on the cars I buy is quite good, not worth the cost of incremental improvements.

What tire would I buy in the future? Falken Ziex 512's - they are everything Consumer Reports says they are, a performance all season tire at the bargain price. Bridgestone 950's are actually not as good - the Falkens are smoother and quieter. Also, if I had a nice handling set up, I would consider the Kumho KH716 Solus - they have quicker steering responses, but are noiser and harder riding than the Falken's.

All in all, I now trust the Consumer Report ratings much more than the Tire Rack customer reviews.

All in all, while there are differences in tire performance (the CR tests show that too), I think most of us won't notice under ordinary driving conditions.
    I think by nexus of the GY LS (VW Jetta TDI) , and by way of the Michelin LTX's, I will have to agree with you. Thanks for the heads up on the Falken Ziex 512's they have been on my radar sights for a while.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    I can only speak of the OEM Dunlop SP 4000. But, they are the "dogs" that the reviews on Tirerack have indicated. At $140 a pop you'd expect quite a bit more.

Sir Knight...do you know the secret of the Holy Grail of good tires?

"The tire and the road are one."

Of course, finding the Holy Grail of anything is never easy. Keep looking...may save the rest of us some money. ;)
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    Generally the most important thing to ask is "what is that[embarassing] wound you suffer and how do we fix it?" As per the Grail, not tires. Tires are beyond my ken now.
  • dmaxvandmaxvan Member Posts: 1
    Hi Catworker. I also have a 3500 express van and recently swapped out my rims to the chrome 2500hd wheels. I wanted the polished aluminum ones too but the chrome looks great. the polished rims you want will fit fine as long as they come from an 8 lug 2500 or 3500 pick up or van..
  • widriver2widriver2 Member Posts: 36
    Hi,

I had my 2005 Toyota Sienna LE Mini Van in the shop for service. The service report said the tire pressure was 32ppsi. The manual says it should be 35 so I called service manager and asked him why they were set at 32, and shouldn't they be set at 35? He said 32 was right since 35 will be the pressure when they're warmed up and on the road.

Now everything I've read has said the recommended pressure listed is the pressure when the tires are cold. Therefore, my tires are underinflated at 32, right? How would the service manager at Toyota not know this?
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    ".....How would the service manager at Toyota not know this?...."

Try these:

1) Service Manager: "I don't care what I say, I just want to get this guy to hang up and not call back."

2) Service Manager: "If I admit we screwed up, then we'll have to fix a bunch a stuff for free later."

3) The Service Manager just has this one wrong.

and last, but not least:

3) The Service Manager is good at managing the service people and the service department, but doesn't need to know (or care to know) how all this stuff works.

BTW, are you sure you didn't talk to a Service Writer? I am told, Service Managers like to hire Service Writers who don't know how to do repairs, so what the SW writes is just what the customer said, not what the SW thinks is wrong.

Hope this helps.
  • pdc2pdc2 Member Posts: 15
    I have a ford escape XLT 4wd 2002 and will need to have replacement tires 235/70/16 before the next winter season (50,000 KM or 32000M now). Driving almost exclusively in city and a little highway, light snow, no rough stuff; about 10,000KM a year. Safety is my main concern but would like a quiet drive listening to music.
    Would anyone please recommend replacement tires for me, preferably popular brands because we don't have too many choices in Canada.
    I have read about Firestone Destination LE (about Can.$175 each), 60,000M, quiet and soft ride but slightly uneconomical on gas.
    Incidentally, is it alright to change the tire size to 235/65/16 or will that cause some harmful effect.
    Thanks very much.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    Your door frame should have a sticker showing what the cold tire pressure should be. Manuals sometimes have different numbers for some unknown reason. FWIW, if you liked your ride at 35psi, then raise the air pressure next time you fill it up, and be sure to tell the dealer next time you're there to keep the tires where you like them.

Hopefully your dealer didn't make the bonehead move my Honda dealer made recently when they lowered the air pressure while the tires were hot. This gave me a cold reading of 28psi and was easy to figure while driving as it felt like I was riding on four future flats.
  • mrbizness1mrbizness1 Member Posts: 93
    He probably knew what pressure is recommended, but felt you would get a more comfortable ride at 32psi. I keep mine at 32 for a smoother ride and feel it is easier on suspension parts and causes less rattles.
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    "....is it alright to change the tire size to 235/65/16 or will that cause some harmful effect....."

No, it's not alright!! That would be going down in load carrying capacity and overloaded tire failures can sometimes have tragic results.
  • widriver2widriver2 Member Posts: 36
    Yes, I think it was the service writer. I didn't know service writers did not know how to do repairs. I can see the reason why they'd hire someone without repair knowledge, but that could also be problematic if they're giving incorrect advice!
  • wamba2000wamba2000 Member Posts: 146
    There are excellent criteria posted in message 5437. Changing sizes is possible, but there are lots of things to watch out for. I recently went a little shorter and a little wider, going from a 215/70x16 to a 235/60x16 tire as a replacement. The difference to the speedometer is under 2%. Load factor is the same. speed rating is the same. Tire weight was within a pound.
    To get a handle on sizes when you change, there are size comparison calculators on most of the online tire companies websites. Link:
    link title

Last, there are a whole bunch more options if you stay with the 235/70 rather than going to a 65 series tire. My recommendation would be Yokohama Geolander HT-S or Michelin Cross Terrain. Hankook makes the RH03 which could be less costly, but I haven't talked with anyone that has owned them.

Good luck
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    Every time I've had a vehicle with a set of Goodyear tires, without fail one of the tires develops a "thumping" sound. I've known other people who have had this problem as well. The car I have now with Goodyears on it is a '99 Corolla, which I purchased last November. The car had theses tires on it when I purchased it, and I cringed when I saw what brand of tires they were.

When I bought the car, the tires were fine and they still have a good deal of tread on them. However, I noticed about a week ago that one of the tires is now making the thumping sound. What causes this? I try to take as good care of the tires as possible. I rotate them every 5K miles, and I keep them inflated properly by checking the pressure once a week. I hate repalcing tires with good tread, but I don't know if can handle the stupid thimping sound. It drives me nuts! You can bet when I do replace them I will do so with another brand.
    I, on the other hand, had bad luck with BF Goodrich. Two sets of tires, two separate cars, one set came, brand new, with a pull to the left that couldn't be diagnosed or fixed, but went away when I change brands of tires after a lot of frustration. A second set developed a "radial pull" in a single tire after about 10,000 miles of driving.

I don't condemn BG Goodrich - just bad luck. But since my luck and BF Goodrich don't blend well, I'll stay away from them just to be safe.

On the other hand I have had great luck with Goodyear tires.

So what's my point? With hundreds of thousands of customers, and an internet where people can complain and isolated incidents get blown out of proportion, it's unfair to blast a company - Consumer Reports tabulates complaints and incidents, and sometimes statistical patterns emerge and sometimes they don't - in the short run I should stay away from BF Goodrich and you should stay away from Goodyear, but it doesn't mean we wouldn't be perfectly happy with the brand that has been bad luck for the other.
    This month CR tests several sport sedans, one that comes with summer tires. While summer tires work well in summer, this test confirmed that summer tires work very, very poorly in winter, and winter only tires (not "all season" tires) work very, very well in winter. Who needs four wheel drive when winter tires are available:

From Consumer Reports, May 2006:

In winter conditions, we tested our [rear wheel drive, European sedan] with its original Continental [summer only] tires and also with Bridgestone Blizzak winter tires in acceleration and braking. With winter tires the [rear wheel drive, European sedan] took 123 feet to accelerate from 5 to 20 mph, and just over 44 feet to brake from 20 to 0 mph. With the summer tires the [rear wheel drive, European sedan] struggled to crawl up to speed. It took 223 feet to accelerate and 81 feet to stop.
  • autowriteautowrite Member Posts: 226
    The next time I purchase tires they will be Michelin Symmetry 225/60T16 98T. The only other well-known tires with the 98T rating are the Bridgestone Potenza RE92 and the Yokohama AVID TRZ. Although some Honda and Tire dealers recommend that I could go down to a 97T or 97S it's not recommended by Honda, Michelin or Consumer Reports. I have read the reader reviews on Edmunds (thanks Edmunds readers) and customer reviews on 1010Tires.com, TireRack.com and odyclub.com. I also spoke with a tire dealer in Waterloo, Ontario who had Yokohama tires on his Odyssey and they rode too hard.
  • pdc2pdc2 Member Posts: 15
    Am I glad to have asked about changing the tire size. Thank you all for the enlightenment. (There is always the off chance that some tire sales person thought I was an knowlegeable guy and let me choose what I want; then it would be fun trying to sell the Escape to another knowledgeable guy like myself).

From the web links, found 2 tires available here:
    Goodyear Fortera silent armor 104T OWL US$160 Discount Tire (Can.$199-25, in Calgary)
    Firestone Destination LE US$81 TireRack
    (Can.$175 in Calgary).

Since both have very many good reviews by vehicle owners, I would go for the Goodyear tires. Just a little puzzled by the huge difference in prices in the US.

Thanks again.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    If you're in Calgary, you might want to check out Nokian WR tires at Kal Tire. They work great in rain and snow/ice and don't wear any more than summer tires in summer. 100,000 km treadwear warrenty. I have them on a Pathfinder and wouldn't recommend anything else.
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    My neighbor has an '02 Mazda Protege DX (base model), with the original tires (at almost 55k miles-ha!), which of course need to be replaced. I was surprised to learn this car came with 195/55/15s from the factory, kinda sporty for such a basic ride; the '01s and previous had 14" rims. Anyway, if she stays with this size, it's looking like replacements are going to be around $500 for the set, at least retail, for anything 'brand name' including installation and all the fees. Kinda steep for a grocery getter, IMO.

So I have two questions: can anyone recommend a better (cheaper) way to purchase tires, other than our local dealers (Just Tires, Firestone, GoodYear, Sears, etc.)? How detrimental would changing the aspect ratio be (to say a 60 or 65)? In checking Just Tires site, for example, the difference in price between 195/55/15s and and 195/65/15s is pretty alarming (like 40% lower, plus a choice of 4 versus 14 varieties, for the latter). Am I to assume this will cause a ~20% error in the speedometer calibration, among other potential problems?

For the record, we're in Chicago, so something 'all-season' would be best. We really don't get that much snow any more, and it's pretty flat here, so nothing too serious.
    Go to the Tyre Bible for a size calculator to compare your options. You can go up to 20mmm wider with MOST cars but you need to watch the diameter carefully. Tirerack.com also has one buried somewhere on their website. 195/65 's aren't an option, you'll have clearance (diameter) issues. Unfortunately 205/55's, an option that would probably fit fine, are also expensive. I recommend buying from the Tirerack in your required size - 195/55-15, but choose an H rated tire; most tires in that size are V or W rated and ride really, really badly (do you have H or V rated on the car now - probably H rated). I had V rated tires once and they were awful. Tirerack can also tell you what sizes will fit, they actually measure clearances.

Get them installed at a Walmart - much cheaper than any Tirerack "approved" installer I have ever used (about $12 per wheel vs. $20 or more per wheel).
    I was thinking I'd get something from TireRack and bring them to one of my local non-corporate (ethnic) installers, usually it runs $5-10 a tire.

Didn't realize I'd have clearance issues with the 65-series, thanks for the tip. That makes sense, especially since Proteges used to ride on 14" tires, and the body didn't change any from 01-02 when they made the change.

Any recommendations on brand or variety? I saw some Kumis, I think, on tirerack for like $58 each, they looked OK. Anyone have an opinion of Dunlops, in general?
    You don't seem to have a lot of choices if you want to stick with H rated tires (most of the ones TR lists are V or W rated). I have owned Kumhos, two sets, in the past and thought they were good tires. I have heard the ASX tires aren't as harsh as some V/W rated tires, but I have no personal experience. The Traction T/A's, I owned in that exact size, and they were terrible.
    In the 195/65/15 HR size, despite almost majority vilification of the GY LS-H's, I have been haing good long wearing luck.

I got some Toyo TPT's on good luck with Toyo Proxes T1S's, but as you know the Proxes are MAX ULTRA HIGH PERFORMANCE and I have yet to put on the TPT's, since the GY LS-H 's look good to go to 100-130k miles. I might just change them out just because I am curios about the TPT's. I also have heard good things on the ASX Kumho's, but other than a very short test drive (nice tires by the way) they are known not to wear too long.

I have 185/70/14 S (less than H rated) Dunlops SP 20FE's on a Honda Civic and believe me their 31/32 rating is well earned?!!! In their case, thank God for Firestone's, which have a strangle hold on last place!! :(:)
    I just checked out TireRack, the two most promising (low price, decent ratings) were Sumitomo HTR+ and Dunlop SP31s. Also, Sears has Kumho ECSTA ASXs on sale right now, though not exactly cheap ($82 each plus disposal, installation, blah blah bhal), and they're V rated. Seems the majority of 55 series tires I've seen are V rated, actually. Ruking, I take it you're less than happy with your Dunlops as well? Care to elaborate?
    ...is they never have any low priced tires available. I guess they consider every one of their tires to be premium so they should carry a premium pricetag. I have to laugh every time I read where someone has replaced their Goodyear tires with something like a Kumho $30 tire (or something equivilant) and the replacement tires ends doing everything much better than did the Goodyears. I have done this many times myself and have found it to be true. I will never buy another set of Goodyears.
    Sure, be happy to. The OEM Dunlops on the Honda Civic (185/70/14) given the current wear rate, is projected to last a MAX of 50-60k miles!! Now I realize that some folks would consider this good. However this is in stark contrast to the 100k-130k that I project on the GY LS-H's. They are stable at higher speeds (had them up to 90/95 cruising). They are not the most responsive of tires.

So to solve your size and immediate problem the Sumitomo HTR's would be one of my choices given your 195/55/15 universe. This is in consideration of price, need for all seasons. I would also have the ASX's on my choice list, but given your price points it would seem the Sumitomos come closer to them.
  • vppcvppc Member Posts: 58
    Hi, guys!

I have a 2001 Ford Taurus SES w/almost 109,000 miles. I just bought about 2,000 miles ago some Bridgestone Turanza LS-T tires! I LOVE THEM! Smooth, reasonably quiet, awesome wet traction and wet braking, great handling, and 80,000 mile rating! I bought them OTD with lifetime rotation, lifetime balancing, free flat repairs, and tire replacement program just $490. I also got a FREE XM Satellite Radio tuner for the car ($79 value)!

The tires' true colors shined after about 1,000 miles. I love them and I recommend them!

- Alex
    Go to Sears and they will not only pricematch, but give you an additional 10% OFF!

Wal-Mart has the BF Goodrich Traction T/A V for $88.82 each. If you go to Sears, they would do it for $79.94 each. But, you have to go to a Sears in a town that has Wal-Mart also, it HAS TO BE LOCAL. Stores are very nitpicky on price match, so it may or may not be worth it to you.

Just know that they will pricematch, but if it fails, Wal-Mart has the tires for $88.82 each, so you are looking at $394.32 including protection plan and w/o tax.

Another option is go to a ma/pa shop and they can order you some off-brand or Cooper labeled tire and would be a little cheaper, but Wal-Mart is generally more convenient and open on Sundays.

Good Luck!
    - Alex

P.S. The tires above are 60,000 mile and rate well!
    The City of Chicago, believe it or not, does not have a Wal-Mart yet. Not one. There is one in Evanston (~10 miles away or so), so it's not the biggest pain, but I'd have to save some money for it to be worth the hassle (10 miles in the Chicago area can often take 45 minutes in traffic). I will check around, though. If they have a nice selection and good prices, then it could be worth checking out. I (and my neighbor, the tires are for her ride) thank all of you for your input and assistance!
  • dwray47dwray47 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I just joined and I sure could use some advice or help. I have a new 2006 Ford F150 Supercrew 2WD. The truck currently has BF Goodrich tires size 265-60-18. These tires feel every bump and crack in the road and are driving me crazy with the bumpy ride. I will not go into all the trouble I have had gone through to have these tires checked but after two two forced road balance, I had them checked on a spin balancer. Well they were out some and one had a flat spot in it. Ford is going to buy me a set of new tires. I wanted the Michelin 18 inch tire but they will not produce these again until 2007. I do not know why but they have stopped producing them as of now. I need someone to tell me what would be a good riding tire that does not bounce. Should I go with a different set of Goodrich Long Trail TA Radials?? How about the Yokohama or the Bridgestone HP. I pull a 20 Ft deck boat and a 26 FT TT Lite weight with my truck. Ford is going to replace the tires but I need some help trying to figure out what is the best tire out there in the 265-60-18 size. I know the Tire Rack reviews has the Yokohama rated #1 in the 18 inch tire. Any suggestions?? Looking for a good smooth ride and not much noise and something that will tow.
    Thanks
    Dwray47
    Hi, there!

It's me again. I checked out Discount Tire Co. and see there are NUMEROUS stores in the Chicago area. Here are two prices I got for you:

(1) Hankook 45,000 mile V-rated tire: $318.12 tax and all

(2) Yokohama 70,000 mile H-rated tire: $445.92 tax and all

** Includes FREE ROTATION, LIFETIME BALANCING

Tire replacement is $10-$11 each depending on tire.

How about that?

- Alex

www.discounttire.com
    I will soon be replacing the the Goodyears on my Corolla because I simply can't stand these tires. I usually buy my tires from the Tire Rack as I can usually get the tires I'm looking for at the lowest price by doing so. I take my vehilces to an automotive service center on an Air Force base that only charges me $8 per tire to mount and balance.

I have narrowed my choices down to the Kumho AS 795's and the Bridgestone LS-T's. I have a set of the 795's on my Tercel (which now belongs to my daughter) and I am very happy with these tires. The vast majority of customer reviews for both of these tires on the Tire Rack's web site are good so I don't think I'd be disappointed with either. However, I'm wondering if the Bridgestones are worth the higher price. The LS-T's can currently be had for $55.50 each (including a $50 rebate for a set of four), but they normally sell for $68. The 795's sell for only $36. The only real difference is the Kumho's are a 70K mile tire, whereas the Bridgestones are an 80K tire. Would it be worth spending the extra $76 (if purchased while the rebate is still offered) or $88 for the Bridgestones to get the extra 10K mileage rating? I know Bridgestone makes excellent tires, I just don't know if they're better than the Kumhos, or at least better enough to justify the difference in price.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    big al, I'm surprised Walmart matched tireracks price on those tires. Doesn't Walmart having shipping charges on its tires as well?

A lot of tire dealerships will say $100 a tire. Then say the price includes FREE mounting, balancing and valve stems. Which makes comparison/price matching shopping difficulty.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima