Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Tires, tires, tires

Comments

• wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    Walmart on shipping (I looked up Michelin Cross Terrain for my Envoy)

Item can only be shipped to a store, not to an address. There is no-cost shipping to a Wal-Mart Tire & Lube Express. Pay for the tires at the store.

$9.76 plus tax for installation, new valve stem, lifetime rotation & balance and road hazard coverage (full replacement first 25%, prorated after that.)
  • vppcvppc Member Posts: 58
    Bottgers,

I really couldn't tell you about the Kumho's, but I can tell you that the LS-T is an excellent choice. Besides the longer mileage, they have the UNI-T w/AQ-II technology which in lamens terms, the tread is an advanced design that allows superb wet and dry traction throughout the LIFE of the tire.

Here are some real life examples: with the LS-T's, I was able to floor it from a stop AND slam my brakes to a stop, and DID NOT SLIDE! I can drive on curvy roads like they are dry pavement. The ride is smooooooth and corner well. Not to mention Firestone can offer the Tire Replacement program in which if a tire is defected or damaged beyond repair and the tread is 3/32 or higher, they will replace the tire FREE - only costing you an additional purchase of the protection plan. I opted for this, because the regular price for my tire size (215/60/16) was $110.99! And the protection plan is only around $10 per tire.

Firestone also offers 90 Days Same As Cash on their credit card you can apply for - and oil changes only cost $17.49 for SYNTHETIC BLEND if you use the card.

You can also purchase a LIFETIME ALIGNMENT PLAN for $99 if you haggle with the salesman. I did and it has paid for itself MANY TIMES.

Firestone also does courtesy inspections in which they top off fluids and look for any problems while working on the car. They offer a COMPLETE inspection for $19.99 (give or take), but sometimes have coupons for FREE complete inspections.

If you sign-up online at www.mastercareusa.com, you can have e-mail coupons that can save you further.

I have Firestone for random things for two years now and have no complaints. Know that you are getting GREAT service at reasonable prices.

As for the tires, pay more and get more. You WILL be getting a TOP OF THE LINE tire and notice it for 80,000 miles to come.

Peace,
    - Alex
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    I do appreciate your input, foregoing the Firestone commercial of course. I have little doubt the LS-T is a very good tire. However, there's no indication it's a better tire than the 795. The numbers on the comparison chart on the tirerack.com for these tires are almost identical in every catagory, with the 795 having better numbers in snow traction. Compared to the Big-O store brand tires the 795's replaced on my daughter's Tercel, the 795's are quieter, smoother riding, and they seem to provide better wet and dry traction. There hasn't been enough miles put on these tires yet to determine how well they're going to wear. I personally haven't yet seen enough information to show me the LS-T is worth the extra money compared to the 795's. I'm afraid I'm going to have to see more than "top of the line" to justify the higher price. Because one tire carries a more premium price than another doesn't automatically make it the better tire. Goodyear has been proving that for years.

Like I said in an ealier post, I'll be buying my tires from the Tire Rack, so none of the Firestone stuff will be an option for me. I'm sure the TR has similar protection programs available if I decide I want one.
    ???????
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Dunno - doing their taxes? It's still too early here to change over to summer tires; the studs can stay on until the end of the month, so that can't be the excuse.

If you're bored, imagedrive on over and see me!

Steve, Host
  • wamba2000wamba2000 Member Posts: 146
    We're all still here, thinking about summer driving.
    Question: I recently purchased 4 Yokohama Avid TRZ tires for my Honda Element. I noticed yesterday in a well-lit spoot that these tires have directional indications build into the sidewall and that 3 of the 4 are installed incorrectly (the inward facing side is facing outward.) They've been driven about 400 miles. I will be taking the vehicle back to the tire shop today to have it corrected.

Should I have any concerns about damage from driving with them improperly installed? FYI The markings for the inward and outward sides are not very prominent---you'd have to look closely to see them.
  • krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    like rotation (directional tires).
    You have asymetric tires that have "outside" and "inside".
    I would talk to whomever is in charge and ask them how do they rate themselves as "professional tire installer" after such "faux pas".

Krzys

PS The only damage could be to the pride and busines of the shop. I would not use their services anymore.
  • mazda6iguymazda6iguy Member Posts: 365
    I found that Sears has a sale on Goodyear Assurance tires, so I was wondering how Sears rates for installation and overall experience. Anyone have any experiences with Sears?
  • corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,260
    I bought a set of Pilots for my Jetta when Sears had them on sale. They were very professional and did a good job, but did try to sell me an alignment (which I declined). I got the lifetime balance and rotation, but if memory serves, I never returned to have that done, because I traded the car soon thereafter.

Indeed, it seems to be a pattern for me that I trade a car in shortly after purchasing a new set of high-end tires. :)
  • wamba2000wamba2000 Member Posts: 146
    Thanks, all, for the good advice. Let me explain what happened when I took the car in.

The shop manager and helper were quite surprised, obviously didn't know the Yokohama product they sell very well at all. In their defense, I didn't notice the markings either; you really have to know to look for them.

I also talked with them about mounting the tires using the yellow dot that is painted by the manufacturer to be at the valve stem. THe yellow dot is the "lightest" part of the tire, and should be aligned with the valve stem to minimize the need for wore weights when balancing (I read this on the Yoko website.) They say they had never heard of this.

Bottom line, the tires are now all right side out, they were all re-mounted and balanced with the yellow dot by the valve stem. AND....they gave me a free oil change coupon to be used whenever for my inconvenience. They also said they would use the yellow dot suggestion and talk with their rep about any other tips for mounting.

The AVID TRZ is an awesome tire. Great grip, quiet and handles well so far. Since I have an 80,000 mile warranty and the tires need to be rotated vevery 5,000 miles, I will be back at this shop a few times....
    to admit an error. They seem to be decent guys for giving you free service.

Krzys

PS I always double check shop work with directional or assymetric tires. Check air pressure too.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    >They say they had never heard of this.

IT's hard to believe that story! That's been the case, tires market for mounting location, for 30 years?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Maybe he just wanted to get his Firestone/Bridgestone commercial in and that was it?
  • vppcvppc Member Posts: 58
    Hi, Bottgers,

I was expressing how I felt about the LS-T's per your request. I know nothing of the Kumho's. If you want to save money, go for it if they are suitable for you. I just wanted a premium tire and I read great reviews on the LS-T. I was tired of dealing with "cheap" tires, so I bought top-of-the-line for my car and loving every minute it.

I used Firestone b/c of the fact I get oil changes there for a great price (usually $18-21 for synthetic blend oil), and I had a lifetime alignment. So it made more sense to have everything done there. It also helped having the "BUY 3, GET THE 4TH FREE" sale and FREE XM RADIO tuner at the time. I saved over $200 off normal price. I also like the fact of nationwide warranty if anything goes wrong.

If the Kumho tires can suit you well, go for them. I had a 2000 Corolla and did feel that premium tires weren't too important on that car, but I did have cheap tires on there, then switched back in '04 to some Bridgestone Insignia SL - MAJOR difference. Also, I only spent $50 more on them total then the cheap tires before (which only lasted 25K). The Insignia's were 65K.

Bottom line, a premium tire does payoff, if not in overall performance throughout the life of the tire, but the greater service and warranty that goes with it.

The choice is yours,

- Alex
    ....Kumho makes cheap tires, just inexpensive tires. There's a difference. Whether they're as good as the LS-T's or not, I guess that remains a mystery.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    >basically tires to put on a car so it has good rubber on the road and not a steel belt and they wil be sufficient, but not outstanding. But all tire makers including GY, BFG and Michelin have these tire models.

I don't believe Michelin has a 'cheap' tire in their lineup.

Also doesn't Michelin own BFG and several other brands we thing of as independent?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

...any cheap tires either, just crappy ones.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    What's considered a "cheap" tire? A tire anywhere from $40-$70. The Goodyear Integrity is $63 for a size 205/75/15.
    I drove on a set for almost 2 years...they were borderline "crappy". Though were starting to dryrot somewhat.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
    ...$63 an inexpensive tire, though I would it cheap if it was starting to dryrot after just 2 years. Then again they are Goodyears.
  • fscaranofscarano Member Posts: 44
    I purchased a set of Uniroyal tiger paw touring. The tire rides like a dream I’m confused about the tire pressure. The installer placed 38 psi in each tire. I told them ford recommends 32 psi. They told me never to go by what the auto maker recommends go by what the tire manufacturer recommends’. Now I can’t find any thing that tells me Uniroyal recommends 38 psi. The installer also told me that tires have changed since 2000 and the plate in my door jam is not to today’s standards. If the sticker on my door jam is incorrect wouldn’t Ford have to update all G/M owners? I’m curious what the 2005-2006 G/M tire pressure is? If any of you have tire experience and could assist me I would be grateful.
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    The psi recommended plate on my door jam was incorrect. So, Mazda issued a recall on it(off 2psi)

Offhand I'd say your installer doesn't know what he is talking about.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    The subject of recommended tire pressure/s can indeed have a wide range, and for a plethora of reasons and reasoning. Not knowing your particular individual scenario and situations, let me use my own (195/65/15) a H series tire with a max sidewall psi of 44. I put in 85% of the max sidewall pressure or 37.4 psi/ 38 psi. The upshot is this vilified tire (supposedly poor)(GY LS-H) is projected to go 100-135k.

What you can do is use the 85% as a starting point. Too low/high etc. Since 1# of pressure is pretty hard to notice, you might want to adjust in 2 psi increments. Best of luck !!
    Ford might be one of few manufacturers to issue bad placards. Well, they were good before Firestone debacle, but not anymore ;-)

You need to tell us what vehicle you are using and what exact tire (size wise).

Krzys
    YUP!!

Makes it a whole lot simplier than 25, 26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44 ?

And that is only for a 44 psi max tire wall tire!!!!

:)
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    Go by what the vehicle placard says. Ford has to stand behind that value, so they tend to look at it closely and carefully - especially since the Firestone thing.

Tire dealers seem to want to use one value for their tire busters to use. I suppose that's because it's just too complicated to get them to look at the placard everytime. Or maybe it's because they are lazy. But the one thing that doesn't seem too complex or too lazy for them is to come up with some lame excuse when they screw up. Admitting mistakes is rare (but just to be fair, see some the earlier posts concerning tires mounted inside out)

What's written on the sidewall is not a good guide - too many variations as to what gets printed there.

Hope this helps.
    Actually in the Ford Explorer case following what the oem of the vehicle RECOMMENDED (or close to it) WAS part of the problem.

I ran 250,000 miles on 5 sets of the SAME sized tires as the Explorer BUT on a 1987 Toyota Landcruiser (at 38 PSI). This of course peaked my interest in the Explorer debacle. I was actually horrified to find out the placarded PSI the vehicles OEM RECOMMENDED !!!

The wear was always DEAD even across the width of the tire tread. It was used as a business client/delivery vehicle 5 days a week. On the weekends it was used to go on longer 100 mile- 400 mile R/T jaunts up to the mountains. So I do have a "little bit of history" at this TP. Another is 71,000 miles on a Z06 Corvette, and 73,000 miles on a VW Jetta TDI. The only thing in common other than the fact I or mine drives them is the max TP on the sidewalls of 44 PSI. :)
    35/44= 80% . Again tires are meant to have some variance in them. Is the EXACT psi critical? yes/ and in the context of our two posts, NO! So for example if you went to 38 PSI and downward adjusted 2 psi that would put it in at 36 psi, which coincidently is not too far from 35 psi (i.e.,YOUR placard) However it would be interesting if to know indeed your MAX tire wall pressure!? This is really the underlying reason for YOUR assertions. It is also common knowledge that higher (the closer to the max sidewall) pressure gives less flex or heat generated due to flex.
  • uva71uva71 Member Posts: 1
    Looking to replace the Bridgestones on my 2003 CR-V. Need a full set. Considering either Michelins or Goodyears, as I will keep the vehicle a long, long time. Any experiences the group could give me? Not happy with the Bridgestones - only got 46K out of them, and was lucky it was a mild winter here in DC.
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    My roommate has an '01 Jeep Wrangler (4.0L six, manual trans) on its original GoodYear Wrangler GS/A (235/75/15s), with 56k. The vehicle is mostly used in the city, occasionally on the highway, never off-roaded, and currently his commute to work is ~2 miles each way, so the car is only logging ~5k a year at this point.

Couple of questions--the tires definitely look a bit worn, and looked chaffed/whitish on the side, but aren't bald or really even close yet. Should he buy now, or just wait til Fall/Winter? What is considered 'normal' wear or life expectancy for this tire on this vehicle with this type of usage (mostly urban runabout)? I saw some BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/As on sale at Sears for $90 each, which seemed like a decent price (tires for this thing tend to run $110-125 for most 'brand name' tires)--any experience with these? I also saw some Dunlops for a bit less, but I've generally not heard good things about that brand. Any advice? Thanks again.
    Tire size P225/60R16 97S

on a 2000 GM/LS
    I did contact uniroyal, the suggested I use the vehicles manufacturer recommendations of 32 psi.

I have contacted Mercury, no response to date.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    Consumer Reports has two top-rated all season passenger tires: the Michelin X from Sams and Costco; and the Goodyear Triple Tread from just about anywhere. The Michelin X is considered better for long life since if has a high mileage rating and is bi-directional (can be reversed in rotational direction during tire rotation, which may increase total mileage).

Hey, 46,000 miles is excellent!
    I don't put much faith in CR's ratings anymore. They seem to have an agenda other than providing completely unbiased reviews. There are much better tires available than Michelins and Goodyears at a lower price.
  • pernaperna Member Posts: 521
    Walmart on shipping (I looked up Michelin Cross Terrain for my Envoy)

Just FYI, I'm convinced that the Cross Terrains are the best SUV tire made today. They transformed the two vehicles I've put them on so far. Very, very smooth ride, and QUIET.
  • turfwriterturfwriter Member Posts: 2
    Hi there. The front pair of my SAAB 900's Pirelli P4000s (185/65 R15 M/S) needs replacing. My SAAB mechanic says that this model tire is outdated, and they recommend the Pirelli P6s.

However, I googled the P6s and they seem almost universally rejected by anyone who's tried them -- in fact, they sounds downright unsafe. Nor do the Pirelli P6000s sound much better.

Any suggestions for long-wearing tires with good traction in wet conditions and occasional snow use? I'm reluctant to go back to Michelins, having had many bad experiences with their sidewalls blowing out...

Thanks,
    Laurel :confuse:
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    I suggest BFGoodrich Traction T/A H or Bridgestone Potenza G 009. They are the same high-performance type tire that the P6 is, and are rated highly at Tirerack.com
  • turfwriterturfwriter Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, but isn't mixing manufacturers (front to back) a bad idea, because of differences in handling and other characteristics?

I'm looking at the P400 Touring and the P4000 Super Touring presently... I understand that one or both of them may be comparable to the P4000s I currently have in back.
  • waiwai Member Posts: 325
    You can have different pairs as long as the front and back pairs has more or less similar traction rating. In my case my Taurus Wagon has Michelin Energy MXMV plus in the front and Michilen Exalto A/S at the rear, it runs OK, then I rotate back to front, its also runs OK. You don't necessary need the same brand (Pirelli).
    I must ask where did you get the 85% rule of thumb? That would make the tire pressure 37.40 round up to 37.5 ps1. Is there some research that you got this from or just your own personal thing to do? Not knocking just asking I have received some good information but now im more confused than ever some say go with the recommendation of Ford at 32psi others say go with the tire installer. Now I don’t know what to do. :sick:
    Sure that is not a problem at all. The answer will probably give you more information that might add to the confusion. I read about it. I can claim no credit in authorship.

First of all the "REAL" answers are in the trade publication that is sold to "tire" professionals. The problem is I have NEVER in 51 years of being around cars EVER seen a tire professional use it to give advice. As a matter of fact, I have only heard it once from a tire person (very knowledgeable) and I was actually shocked to hear it.

So for example in my VW Jetta TDI, the placard has a range from between 26 to 41 PSI. Interesting to note how the higher psi is actually BELOW the 44 max PSI that comes stock with the vehicle !!!! So it should be obvious the 41 psi/44 psi max sidewall pressure can/should be used if one tends to run the vehicle fully loaded weight wise. So while there is a range of variables that one can use to justify whatever range/s both % and numerical, the fact is that the tire is designed with certain parameters in mind, i.e. an oem probably will not specify 51 psi for a max side wall psi of 44.

So if one does the math, the % range is between 59% to 93%. (26/44,41/44) So if you go by the placard; the numeric range is between 26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41. You will probably freak when I ask in the context of the above range: what is under/over inflation and/or why? :):(

So in terms of problem solving (which is all we are trying to do) I run 38 psi fronts/36 psi rears . The oem tires have 73,000 miles on them and look good to go to app 100-125k. I ran this cross country from San Jose CA to Orlando FL and return in August 2005. (1-3 days pre Katrina, inxs of 6,000 miles)The fuel mileage was between 44-52 mpg and the overall avg was app 48/49 mpg. The tread wear is dead even across the width. I had the dealer upon delivery (5 miles) double check the alignment and balance.

I hope the answer defines the boundaries, hopefully for your fine tuning.
    Some thoughts:

1) In another forum, you posted the response you got from Ford.

I'm surprised they gave you that spreadsheet. The only other time I have seen that spreadsheet was when Ford was discussing with its tire supplier (I work for them!) the appropriateness of their inflation specification relative to a potential recall. (BTW, the discussion group concluded that the placard value was OK and the report of early tire failures was unreliable, so the issue was put aside for a later review to see if any new information would change the overall picture. And it didn't!)

If you look carefully at the spreadsheet, it is clear Ford's engineers spent some time thinking about the implications of the pressure (and tire size) they chose to use.

As an engineer, this gives me confidence that when the placard says 32 psi, there is some solid, technical background behind that value. Plus it gives me a chance to look into their logic.

2) You will find that there is a lot of contradictory information out in the world - and that doesn't just apply to tires. Evaluating the contradictions can be difficult, but I have found that BS just doesn't stand up to step by step scrutiny of the process.

3) Vehicle manufacturers and tire manufacurers are in agreement as to what inflation pressure to use - the placard. Since their butts are the ones that will be hauled into court if something goes wrong, that ought to tell you to take their answer very seriously.

4) My take on the 85% rule? Since I was once one of those folks who decided what was written on the sidewall, I can tell you that the max pressure printed there is inconsistent from tire manufacturer to tire manufacturer, and therefore is not a reliable source.

5) US based vehicle manufacturers use one inflation pressure on their placard. The Europeans seem to put a range that is dependent on the vehicle loading. My best guess to the difference is that Europe is much more highly regulated, so they take vehicle maintenance much more seriously. Plus their historical background is for small cars and more difference between curb weight and fully loaded.

(I don't have enough information about Asian vehicle manufacturers to sense whether their placards consistently use one pressure or not.)

6) There is a trade publication called "Tire Guides" and it is published by Bennett Garfield. It lists - by year, make, and model - the original tire size and the inflation pressure for that size - all based on the placard! The only exception to that (aside from printing errors) is that they list only the maximum pressure on vehicle that have multiple values on their placard. In other words, they took the US approach.

Hope this helps.
  • gasman1gasman1 Member Posts: 321
    I have the Goodyear Triple Tread tires on a Highlander. They are an excellent tire! Quiet, responsive (dry and wet conditions), great snow performance. The best tire I've ever driven. They are pricey, but well worth every dollar.
  • robg63robg63 Member Posts: 2
    :confuse: I WANT TO REPLACE MY TIRES ON MY 97 PLYMOUTH GRAND VOYAGER SE OEM ARE NOW 215/65/15 I WOULD LIKE TO GO TO 17'S GET THE WIDER LOOK AND TALLER NEED THEM TO BE GOOD IN WET AND SNOW CONDITIONS. ALL SEASON. PLEASE GIVE ME SOME RECOMMENDATIONS AND MAYBE SITES TO GO TO. I AM IN THE NEW YORK AREA.
    ..."So if one does the math, the % range is between 59% to 93%. (26/44,41/44) So if you go by the placard; the numeric range is between 26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41. You will probably freak when I ask in the context of the above range: what is under/over inflation and/or why? :):( "...

Capriracer, over the course of reading your insightful and thoughtful posts, I have come to respect your opinion. However, you almost completely gloss over the consequences of what I have said about the " PLACARD" on my VW Jetta TDI, quoted above. In prior posts you also gloss over the OEM FORD placard on the Ford Explorer/Firestone debacle, which resulted in TIRE FAILURE. (26 psi was what was placarded?)

So to address your 32 PSI/44 the math would suggest you AGREE/advocate with 73% of max tire wall pressure. So if it is merely a difference of 85% vs 73% I can say we can agree to disagree.

I will be the FIRST to say: this is 20/20 hindsight I know, but I think that if Ford Explorer folks that had the blow outs had put 35-38 PSI in their tires (and NOT what was on the placard) they might have NOT had the tragic results that were documented in the media. I also think the recall could have been avoided. As I said before, I had the EXACT sized tire the Ford Explorer came with (only on a Toyota Landcruiser, with you guessed it 38 psi) and followed the Explorer/Firestone controversy because of it. Again over 5 sets of tires for a total of app 250,000 miles the wear was dead even across the width.

Also keep in mind that while VW is obviously a Euro manufacturer. Even as the VW Jetta is assembled in that "51 state" MEXICO, ALL the OEM tires available on the Jetta or in my case the GY LS-H's are MADE IN THE USA !!! So again please address the RANGE of PSI I can put 26-41 psi or 16 numerical values, AND the fact I put 38/36 psi (app 85%). This is not a personal attack but an effort to address and advance an important discussion. I realize that most folks could care less the PSI I put in my Jetta, but the ones that visit this post at least do track what would be appropriate for each of them, in this discussion. Thank YOU.
    I would like to thank al of you, your information. Very insightful indeed I must admit there is a lot of different opinion and experience out there. I truly thank you all for your posts. Your right I am more confused than ever but no biggie. I’m going to go with the recommendation of Uniroyal and FMC and stay with 32 PSI. For the record I have got no response from Lincoln mercury. I know this is the same as FMC I did make 2 distinct phone calls one to FMC and one to Lincoln mercury so in my opinion FMC customer service is great they were very helpful and informative. Uniroyal customer service was very good as well The were very interested in the installer telling me to run 38PSI this violates Uniroyal’s policy of using the vehicle manufactures recommended tire pressure For vehicle and tire size.

Again thank you all for your help.
    Actually I think the Ford/Firestone debacle really got (at least Ford) to be unambiguous in their tire pressure recommendations. So for example for my 91-97 Toyota Landcruisers the recommendations for a 44 psi LT tire has always been 32 psi. Or as the math indicates, 73% of the max sidewall pressure. The long time dealership I use for maintenance also has a long track record of 32 psi being the "RIGHT" tp for that tire and application. Some tire retailers (in one case Costco) actually puts the recommended TP and in theory will put nothing other than the OEM sized tire also. They also use nitrogen to give a pretty stable TP for the length of the rotation cycle. They also actually use torque wrenches!! Life is good.
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    I don't know... it's interesting that other sources come up with similar results as Consumer Reports.
    If you got an answer from Ford, then you got the answer from Lincoln-Mercury, because they would go to the same source.

Just so that everyone who is following this thread understands the mechanics involved: When it comes to tires failing as a result of belt leaving belt separations (commonly called tread separations), deflection is a major contributor in this area. This is load / inflation combination.

This means that if one wants to err on the side of safety (and the biggest tire risk / consequence is tread separation), then overinflating is a good thing. That's probably why Fscarano's tire shop was unconcerned about using 38 psi - and they will probably continue to do so, since the only thing that is going to convince them they they aren't doing this right is customers returning with ride complaints - and then all they have to do is let out a few psi.

I am concerned that fscarano is still confused and I would like to find out what he is confused about.
    Well I think what MIGHT be confusing is the terminology such as "over inflation". So as a contrast, those Ford Explorers/Firestone tires who have put in the PLACARD ed TP of 23 psi and have experienced tread separations and in some cases tragic lost of life and limb, HAVE by your and common definitions experienced the consequences of under inflation. (among other reasons, probably now deemed confidential and proprietary as a condition of court settlements.)

Given my made (in USA) tires, GY LS-H's with max tire wall pressure of 44 PSI AND the PLACARD of 26/41 ( also IF the FORD oem tire HE is using as an example has a max tp of 44 psi) 38 psi DOES NOT meet the definition of OVER inflation!! So there is the measure and the resultant consequences. So if me putting 38 psi is "over inflation" then I should experience some sort of "irregular" wear patterns or wear patterns consistent with "over inflation". I have NOT!!! I have posted in several postings what my specific results have been. This is over a min of 394,000 miles!! You can bet what ever is precious to you, that I would not BET my life and the lives of my family and resultant innocent parties, if indeed I had ANY notion that this was incorrect (over inflated).

So I would agree, the easiest thing to do to keep a win win situation going is (for the customer) to let out a few psi. Specifically go from 38 psi to 32 psi. Or let out 6 psi. At that point to me that would be a comfort issue. But as you well know the variation of TP in a modern tire allows for that.

I would also SWAG the reason why that particular tire vendor puts 38 PSI: one word: LIABILITY. It is kind of hard to get the vendor on a technicality in court if the stated and enforced policy is to put 38 PSI on 44 psi max sidewall pressure for "UNDER inflation". Under inflation as we know is the LEADING cause of tire failure in contrast with so called "over inflation" So over inflation for legal purposes is OVER the max tire wall pressure of (example) 44 psi. So if the customer drops it to 23 psi (as in the case of the Ford Explorer/Firestone debacle)then that is the customers choice and he would obviously bear the potential liability and consequences.

So in an experimental test, I would hypothesize (SWAG) the set with 32 or less psi would tend to wear faster (less miles) than a set run at 38 psi.

Actually as an aside this is ONE ( of a few)reason/s why I run 38 PSI/44 psi. Review of the literature of folks who have this and other oem VW Jetta TDI tires indicate the majority of oem tires do not last more than 45,000 miles!!! As near as can be determined, most folks run 26 to 30 psi (as per placard) So far without any other efforts to prolong the tire tread life, I am at 73,000 miles when 45,000 miles is long since worn/changed. I also know this particular set of tires will go to 100k and SWAG it to to to 125,000. So IF 38 PSI can in effect double the life of the set of tires, then of course folks will have to make their own decisions.
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    Anybody know an accurate method to determine with what force your lugnuts were installed? Will using a torque wrench & gradually increasing the torque setting until the lugnuts move work?