Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX (pre-2007)

Comments

• bometzgbometzg Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have any experience with towing an MDX behind a motorhome? I'm interested in any problems / solutions. What towing system did you use and how was it wired to motorhome electrical? Don't need to know it's heavy because I can tow 10,000 pounds.
  • tgif888tgif888 Member Posts: 351
    Nope. You need to do some serious modification on Acura's nav. unit to be able to play DVD.
  • albert123albert123 Member Posts: 71
    We've put just 8000 miles in the past year. The overall experience is great. Would I buy it again? You bet I will. It has the best blend of performance, versatility and luxury. To answer your problems on mileage and paint.

1. Mileage greatly depends on the trip. We got 13-14 mpg. Our trips are mostly less than 5 miles each with many traffic lights. But we got 23-24 mpg on HWY.

2. Acura should fix the paint if it chips naturally. For our MDx, it's my own fault as I parked too close to the garage door that it cut into the rare bumper(ouch!).
  • value5value5 Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the feedback on the dvd/nav
  • transpowertranspower Member Posts: 213
    In case you don't know: Edmunds has selected the Acura MDX as best "Luxury SUV Over $30,000." Go here:

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/mostwanted/2002/47606/article.html

Transpower

• vp16vp16 Member Posts: 23
    Just purchased a silver MDX Touring w/Navi tonight. The price was $37,900 with a $2,000 leasing tax credit. It was on-the-lot with 17 miles and will be ready for pick-up in the next few days. The deal seems fair. One question is that are there suppose to be mud gurads in the rear wheel? I didn't see it on my MDX.
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Congratulations on your new MDX. Unfortunately rear mudguards don't come standard with the MDX (and it's not the only one -- I remember past X5's didn't either).

You can buy the mudguards at a discounted price at a good outfit like www.hondacuraworld.com. Installation is pretty easy, except the third screw may require a very short stubby screwdriver or taking the wheel off.

Sometimes you can get the dealer to throw it in, it's not very expensive.
    Wmquam: Thank you for the info. Just went on the site you recommended. It looks like lots of accessories. I think I'll get the rear splash gurads. Are there any other accessories you or any one on this forum would strongly recommend (i.e. moonroof visor or the air deflector)? Also, are there xenon lights that comes with the MDX, like with the TL or RL, or is it an aftermarket product? Sorry for all these newbie questions since I never thought of buying a MDX until about 30 minutes prior to going to the dealer. I thought I had made up my mind on a Highlander Limited and already placed a deposit about 3 weeks ago. I guess I was wrong.
    The moonroof deflector is very useful if you drive with your moonroof open a lot; it cuts down on the air turbulence. There is mixed feedback on the air deflector, as it uses adhesions to fully anchor itself down. Some people have complained of a "whistle" from it. Not many people get the tailgate deflector though it does seem to keep dust and dirt off the rear window.

The wood shift knobs are fairly popular for cosmetic reasons. I like the all-season mats a lot, to augment the carpetted mats that come with the vehicle (the all-season mats don't have a third-row piece, however). The cargo tray is good and protects the back, and has a short lip for spills. Most people get the cargo cover as well. The cargo liner is useful if you use the third seat a lot as it's more flexible.

Unfortunately the MDX is not available with xenon lights. There are some kits but I don't believe any are street-legal.
  • a2esqa2esq Member Posts: 26
    One of my favorite accessories is the cargo net. It's cheap, easy to install (with the directions) and is great for groceries (keeps bags upright) and similar items that slide in the back.
    Absolutely right, I brain-locked there. To me, the "essential" accessories are the cargo net, cargo tray or liner, cargo cover (if you drive without the third row deployed), and rear mudguards. All-season mats if you have gunk on the ground.

www.hondacuraworld.com sells these at good prices with free shipping and all these are self-installable. Can't believe some dealers charge a half-hour labor to put in stuff like the cargo tray or cargo cover.
    Thanks for your input. I'm leaning toward the splash guards, body side molding, moonroof visor, and perhaps the cargo liner. Fortunately, I already have a cargo net and will put it to good use. I did ask the dealer to throw in the splash guards. By the time they stopped laughing, my lunch break was over. My best bet is probably order it via the internet and install them my self.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    vp,

Sorry for all these newbie questions since I never thought of buying a MDX until about 30 minutes prior to going to the dealer

Newbies are welcome! We're looking forward to seeing more of you here!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • rihoopsrihoops Member Posts: 91
    We picked our MDX up last saturday and love it. We got the rear mud guards, cd changer and roof rack.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Congratulations!
  • galvanggalvang Member Posts: 156
    Finally after 8 months I got the opportunity to drive my MDX in treacherous SNOW conditions. It snowed about 8 inches at about 8700ft off the Mount Rose Highway near Lake Tahoe. The highway is extremely windy and fairly steep. Going up-hill in the snow was a breeze and felt comfortable with it. No problems.

Going down it was not quite as sure footed. Especially in a windy steep road. So the VTM-4 was switched on and it was very sure footed after that. Since the VTM-4 can only be switched on at first and second gear the MDX tends to decelerate nicely by itself with all four wheels in traction while making the steep turns. Only draw back is that the engine revs up as the MDX's speed increases. The Michelin Cross Terrains did their job. Didn't slip at all.

I had one emergency maneuver when some idiot was playing chicken on the snowy highway. I slammed on my brakes and the anti-locking-brakes came on. The MDX slowed to a stop with out the back fish tailing. This was quite impressive, I thought. The other driver swerved at the last minute to avoid me. What a jerk!!

The snowy drive was overall good and felt safe. The MDX passed my snowy treacherous road test. Not as good as my old audi but good enough. Now I'm the process of putting on Manik Step bars with all the rubber mats and Cargo liner from "Weathertech" to protect the inside carpeting from wet snow. The MDX and I are ready to defeat winter this season. If only our American troops would do the same in Afganistan.
  • go_mdx1go_mdx1 Member Posts: 135
    Now that I have had my MDX (base model) for over 1 year (got it on the first day of national sales delivery) and have put over 15,000 miles on the MDX, here are my impressions. This car was #541. Last I checked, over 43,000 have now been built. Just noticed a white MDX on a car carrier today so the 2002's must be arriving!

General Observations
    - Overall, my MPG has been around 18.5 (combined city + highway). Gas mileage never really improved as the engine was loosened up.

Negatives
    - Wind noise has only been a problem for me at high speeds (i.e. above 65mph). I have driven both touring and non-touring models and still believe that a good source of the wind noise is caused by the roof rack's close placement to the sunroof. Still, as with many others, I think wind and road noise can be improved
    - After unbuckling the second row seat belts, they tend to not quite fully retract. This then causes them flap around and to knock against the plastic piece next to the doors. Very annoying!
    - Wife claims there are some blind spots in the rearview mirrors. Personally, I have not noticed any.
    - After a while, the brake pads tend to loosen up and start to "pop" when braking after reversing directions.

Positives
    - Overall quality: I have had zero defect problems with the car (minus the initial air bag recall)
    - Paint quality (emerald green) is excellent. I do not have any paint chip problems as previously reported by others.
    - Love the versatility of the 3rd row seat
    - Like the cargo capacity of the vehicle
    - Like the easy entry/exit into the SUV. Much easier than other SUVs

Wish List
    - Wish the standard Trip Computer calculated average miles per hour on a trip.
    - Wish the car came standard with Xenon headlights
    - Wish the car only required regular instead of premium gas
    - Wish the car had separate heating/cooling controls for driver and passenger sides
    - Wish it had an DVD/TV entertainment option much like now on the 2002 Honda Oddysey

Overall, I have been very pleased with the MDX and would recommend it to anyone.
    Just picked up the Touring w/Navi today at the dealer and had my first drive of 50 miles or so. I am embarrass to admit that I never test drove or even sat inside the MDX prior to purchase. Lucky for me those recommendations from friends were right. This SUV handles beautifully. Probably better than some cars I have driven. The seats were very comfortable. And then there's the ample headroom (unlike the QX4, which I did sit in once). The ease of entry and exit makes it feel like a RX300, but with much more room and IMO a better interior. The center armrest in the RX300 was just sad. So was the highlander for that matter. The navigation system in my '99 TL was excellent. This navigation system is even bigger and has more detail maps. It makes the ML430's COMAND system look archaic. Having $1550 off MSRP, a $2000 lease tax credit, and not having to wait (Took delivery 2 days after purchase) were unexpected bonuses.
    The 18.5 combined MPG doesn't sound impressive. Two things may improve your gas milage. First is a all wheel alignment. I bought a new 4-door sedan this year and it ran flawlessly until one day I ran into a curb and needed an alignment. After the alignment the MPG improved by 1.5 mpg. The car prior to the alignment ran perfectly stright and handled great! But you just can't argue with numbers. Second is using Mobil 1. Again, my mpg improved by about .5-.75 after the oil change. Hope this helps.
  • meemo87meemo87 Member Posts: 17
    Can someone explain what the "leasing tax credit" is? Also, vp16 stated that he got $1550 off MSRP. Are the 2001's being discounted? Had the Acura dealer call me yesterday, has a Black base MDX on the lot and my name is next on the list. Need this info ASAP. Thanks for the help.
    In Texas, when you lease a vehicle, the leasee must pay the sales tax for the full price of the vehicle at the time of lease. This is highly unfair since you really should 'paying' for the portion of the vehicle that you're using. So, if this is a 3 year lease, the residual value is 50% (just an example) of the sale price, then you should only be paying sales tax for 50% of the price. Not so in Texas. The leasing company or the bank stand to gain from your misfortune. When the vehicle is returned after the 3 year lease, the state will credit the leasing company or the bank with a LEASE TAX CREDIT of 50% of the sales tax that you paid up front. Of course this money doesn't go to you, but to the bank. The bank or leasing company can use this lease tax credit to pay for the sales tax of newly leased vehicles. In my case, is like getting $2000 off of my sales tax. So the sales tax on my vehicle was only about $420. This significantly reduces your drive-out price. However, most leasing company have a big account full of these lease tax credits and will give you this lease tax credit if you know what to ask, mainly you want lease tax credit. The leasing agent I normally use allways gives me full tax credit on my leases (which is like getting your MDX tax free). Of course all this only apply to Texas.

As for the $1550 off MSRP, I'm not sure how that happened. All my associates paid full MSRP and had to wait. One of my associates mentioned that his Acura dealer emailed him regarding taking orders for 2002's and had a 2 2001's available. I called the dealer late that evening about an hour before closing. They happened to have the color/options I wanted-silver touring with navi . I offered $37000 over the phone. He laughed and said come in and we'll talk. That happened to be the last day of the month, and 1/2 hour before closing, which helps you with negotiations if the salesperson need to make quota. They countered with $38500, so getting a $1000 off MSRP was possible off the 2001s. Another 10 minutes later and it was $37900. Didn't have to buy any options either since the MDX had no extras installed. The next day, the salesperson told me that their last MDX demo with 1000 miles was sold with $1500 of add-ons for $500 under MSRP. So, I just might have been lucky. It doesn't hurt to ask and negotiate with your current dealer. Good luck.
  • inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    I have always suspected that a good deal was possible occasionally but only after the grizzly bears had eaten their fill and so full that they would burst. After selling so many at MSRP with options and stuff they just felt like being benevolent just to close out the model year. That is my opinion. Enjoy it. The bottom line $$ at Acura dealers across the country must be fabulous the past few years. The 3.2 TL saved them. The MDX raised them. I hope they did not loose too many customers with that MSRP attitude when times get tough. And history shows that times always get tough.
    INKY
    INKY
  • ufgatorsufgators Member Posts: 58
    I was curious to know about the navigation system. Is it accurate, useful? Is it worth it? I appreciate your help!
  • shellymeister2shellymeister2 Member Posts: 115
    Funny you should ask. I normally find the Nav system a cute toy, with some basic usefullness. However, today, I couldn't find the local NY DMV, I just knew the street it was on (obscure at that), and the Nav system led me right to it. That was very satisfying. If you have a poor sense of direction, it can really be useful. If you live in and around a large city, the Nav system can very frequently NOT calculate the most direct way to get somewhere, even though it claims to on screen. I happen to have a very good sense of direction, so for me the Nav system is probably not worth the 2K price. Unfortunately when I bought my MDX, it was Nav or Nothing!
    I think it is a waste of money unless you often travel to places you are very unfamiliar with.
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    sometimes freeways are backed-up, dead stopped and then you need an alternate route. Off the beaten path. That you never took before because you knew where you were going.

Or took a trip to a different area of the county during the 3-7 years that most people own the same vehicle. But then you can always gets maps from the Auto Club.

Which work fine unless the freeway is backed up. Or if all the streets aren't marked very well. At night. In a downpour. When you're late.

To each their own.

Actually...you're probably right. It IS better to stay in your home territory...and post messages to Town Hall.
  • 02mdx02mdx Member Posts: 64
    Has anybody bought their MDX at either Acura of Dayton or Superior Acura in fairfield, Ohio? Could you post your opinions? Did they force any accesories, under-coating, etc?

Has anybody bought the new 2002 MDX yet? What do you think?
  • suzzannsuzzann Member Posts: 56
    When does the new 2002 model come out? I'm helping a friend shop using Priceline but they don't have it on their website, and neither does Edmunds.
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    Pricing available at kbb.com. 2002 should be at your dealer any day, my dealer had one yesterday.
  • berger2626berger2626 Member Posts: 10
    Well, after being on a wait list for a 2002 silver touring model for the last six months, we have decided to make the plunge on a new 2001 silver touring model. The deal seemed to be EXTREMELY fair and reasonable. MSRP $37,450....selling price $35,200 with splash guards and burlwood shift knob. vp16 is right..there are deals to be had if you find a good dealership and a nice General Sales Manager. I will definitely give a perfect CSI report to the dealership I am working with. Picking the vehicle up on Wednesday and then making the 7 hour drive home. Can't wait.
  • duplexdianneduplexdianne Member Posts: 20
    Hi all!

I've been enjoying reading the messages in this forum since March, when I was torn between the X-5 and the MDX. I think the better value is in the MDX, and put myself on the waiting list--I expect to take delivery of a Tafetta white, Touring, Nav. towards the end of the month.

My question is, with all this talk about good deals on the '01s, what can I expect to pay for an '02? I'm a long time client of this dealership (I own a 1995 Integra LS)--which happens to be the only one in Austin! I'll make the drive to Dallas, Houston, or San Antonio if I have to--but I don't want to start over on the wait list!!

Any thoughts? Anyone had a good experience with Texas Acura dealers? I'd appreciate any input :)
  • shaker58shaker58 Member Posts: 130
    been to 3 dealers 1 was 2000 over msrp,another was 3000 over msrp and 895 over for running boards (must order)
    are there any dealers selling at msrp in tri state area on 2002's all would deliver in feb 2002
    Hi all!

I've been enjoying reading the messages in this forum since March, when I was torn between the X-5 and the MDX. I think the better value is in the MDX, and put myself on the waiting list--I expect to take delivery of a Tafetta white, Touring, Nav. towards the end of the month.

My question is, with all this talk about good deals on the '01s, what can I expect to pay for an '02? I'm a long time client of this dealership (I own a 1995 Integra LS)--which happens to be the only one in Austin! I'll make the drive to Dallas, Houston, or San Antonio if I have to--but I don't want to start over on the wait list!!

Any thoughts? Anyone had a good experience with Texas Acura dealers? I'd appreciate any input :)
    dianne,

I've been enjoying reading the messages in this forum since March

Wonderful! It's great to see you posting and we're lookking forward to hearing about your X-5/MDX experiences!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • pomanspomans Member Posts: 3
    Hello folks,
    Production began on 10/23/01.
    I was offerred a 2001 the last week of Oct. I asked the dealer about a discount off the MSRP, due to the resale loss down the road. They declined and we continued our wait. Last thursday, 11/01/01 the dealer called back with our new 2002 S/S Premium model. We purchased it the next day. We paid MSRP which is .9% (~$400.) more than last year. This is a token amount vs. buying a "year old" model and taking the resale depreciation ding. Aditionally, we live in So. Calif. and were quite amazed that in just over 1 week our MDX was built in Canada shipped from Buffalo, NY and into our hands. Finally, we were on our waiting list for about 6 weeks. I hope this is helpful to some and encouraging to others, Happy Motoring!

P.S. Neither my wife who drives the vehicle nor myself saw any value in the Navi. Sys.. This is probably attributable to living in a big city (L.A.).
  • cclmdxcclmdx Member Posts: 1
    I been reading the messages in this form for the last few weeks while trying to decide on which SUV to purchase, the information on this board from everyone was very helpful. Thanks.

I've decided on the MDX vs the Highlander. I was looking at the Highlander Limited 4wd, V6, Leather, Sunroof, side air bags, roof rack, JBL stereo, etc, and was comparing it to the MDX Basic (which has just about everything listed above (-JBL 6 disc).

Both Vehicles have a MSRP of $35,000+. I can get the Highlander at around 33,000 thus saving $2000.00. I test drove the Highlander twice and the MDX twice, both vehicles drive very nice, but I felt the MDX had a better quality feel to it. I like the looks of the MDX over the Highlander and I feel the 4wd system on the MDX is superior to the Highlander. I did like the leather on the Highlander, I think it may have been a little better quality.

When it came right down to it I would rather invest $35,000 in an Acura vs $33,000 for a Toyota. So I will be making my deposit within the next week, my question is should I spring for the extra and go with the Touring model over the Basic? Is is worth the difference? What do some of you think?

Thanks for all the help and great information....Almost ready to order!
    I went through the same process you did. MDX v. Highlander. 3 weeks ago My wife took delivery of her base MDX. We didn't feel the NAV was worth it either. The Touring package is nice, but we didn't feel it was needed. We love her new car!
  • transpowertranspower Member Posts: 213
    The navigation system is wonderful. I use it almost every day to go to new places. 19 out of 20 times it finds the optimal path to take. It is well worth the $2000 it costs.

Transpower
  • nydaredevilnydaredevil Member Posts: 3
    Hi All. been reading this board for about a month. it's been fun and enlightening and so I finally decided to join and post, as my question is one I cannot recall seeing very much about (maybe with good reason).
    I've finally persuaded my wife that the MDX might -- just might -- be a viable alternative to a Windstar minivan for us and the 3 kids (10 and under) for daily and weekend driving and the occasional 100-200 mile trips to other East Coast cities. Her beloved '92 Saab9000 is starting to disassemble and she's fed up with it. Anyway, since she's not sold on getting an SUV for the long term (we tend to keep our cars about 10 years) she's wondering about LEASING one. We've never even considered leasing before, so my questions (finally) are:
    Are dealers offering MDX's to lease?
    What are the most likely down payment/monthly payment scenarios for the base edition? Do I have a choice of 3 or 4 years on a lease?
    Anything else I should keep in mind in considering a lease? Like is it realistic to think that with 3 kids I'll be turning the vehicle back in in good condition after 3 or 4 years? (I'm not looking for explicit lease vs. buy arguments here, I know there's another board for that).
    Our nearest dealer here on Long Island is Island Acura Saab in Wantagh. Anyone have personal experience with that dealership?
    Sorry for making this first post so long and thanks in advance for any and all help.
  • doudoudiddoudoudid Member Posts: 76
    has anyone used GPS on a palm (or similar device) instead of the bulid in navigation system? i know GPS probably costs you $200 and for $500 you can get a very good hand held device. my friend also said the screen of his casco is only a little small than the screen of his ML. they come with a lot of accessaries that you can attach to your dish and they look nice. (not the cheap one you see it in fry's) if it works, who will buy a navigation system which will cost twice as much and couldn't be taken out when you change vehicle.
    Welcome aboard, nydaredevil!

I am sure our "oldtimers" will be happy to share their experiences!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
    You can go to acura website and click on "Applied for pre-approval." From there you can get a sample payment, total drive off, terms of the lease and other useful info.
  • deniskrilldeniskrill Member Posts: 8
    I will be taking delivery of a 2002 Touring on 11/23. I listened carefully to all comments posted here, did a lot of dealer calling, went through the decision process of whether to buy a 2001 v. 2002, asked myself whether to buy the Base or the Touring and concluded that the '02 Touring without Nav was the best choice for me.

I hope I'm right.

One question I have is this: the '02 brochure lists a weight difference between Base and Touring at 60 pounds and I am wondering why? I expect part of it has to do with the different wheels and perhaps also the power mechanism in the passenger seat but does that add up to another 60 pounds? I am wondering also whether the additional weight makes a difference in gas mileage (how could it not)? Anyone who can shed light on this will be my big buddy.

For information and the good of the order here are a few comments from my process of coming to my decision:

Two weeks ago, I had a deal on an '01 Base model in LA (Acura 101 West) and they were just wonderful to deal with via Internet and by phone; I decided, however, that with the cost of trucking (from LA to Pennsylvania) and no significant discount on the '01, it made a lot better sense for me to get the '02, if possible from a closer dealer and not have to pay the trucking charge. I did a lot of calling and seemed to be told repeatedly to try dealers in the south, especially Florida and South Carolina. Most didn't have what I wanted (Touring, Mesa Beige, no Nav, no dealer installed accessories) and almost all dealers in Florida told me they were barred from selling "out of region" and/or had rediculous dealer fees for doing the paperwork (but really, what 'paperwork' is there? -- mailing the MSO to me and putting a transit tag on the vehicle to drive it home -- it occurred to me that this is another way for the dealers to take advantage of us when they have what we want and is in short supply right now -- I finally decided that the margin on the MSRP and the holdback were more than enough to give up to any dealer and I wasn't going to be held hostage over the 'paperwork fee').

So I ended up in South Carolina and found exactly what I wanted at MSRP but no silly extra charges and no nonsense about selling "out of region." The car I found is built and now on rail going to SC and will be delivered to me by no later than the day after Thanksgiving. And I was treated with respect by the dealership and have been called constantly to keep me advised of progress on the order.

As to the decision of Base v. Touring, I can say a few things that occurred to me: my initial thinking that the Base was the way to go gave way to my thinking that I really wanted the better stereo (everyone I know of who has one or knows of MDX says that the Bose system in the Touring is just a killer system and I am a nut about my tunes so for me it was a logical choice), as well as a power passenger seat and a memory seat on the driver side; is it worth the extra money? Possibly not, but I am anticipating that I will enjoy the extras and will not be hurt at resale time for having bought them; I do know, however, that the dealers (almost every one I talked with from CA to FL) say that the Base model is more in demand than the Touring and harder to locate for prospective buyers -- is it because of price? Probably.

The decision about Navigation was, for me, one of the toughest choices (along with color) -- all the reviews say that the Acura Nav system is the best going, hands down. I want it like most of us do, but also don't 'need' it and for another $2,000, I just decided that I would prefer to have the Touring extras and forgo the Nav. I still wonder, however, if I made the right choice. I am hopeful that we will see good portable Navigation that can be moved between cars and not need dedicated in-vehicle units (that will obviously have to go with the car when it is sold or traded and won't be able to be seen as having justified the cost to get them to begin with). Having said all that, I am sure those MDX'ers who have Nav love it and, if unlimited funds were present to me, I would too.

As to the decision of MDX v. Lexus, BMW, Highlander, Envoy, etc., etc., I went through the same thought process that many of us have in coming to the MDX choice. There probably is no wrong choice but when you take into consideration all factors -- build quality, features on the car for the money, all wheel drive system, stereo, third seat, standard features that are extras in other choices, overall looks, I could not conclude anything other than the MDX. I would have bought the X-5 except for the price ($10K more than what I paid for the MDX for the vehicle I would have wanted) and the better all wheel drive system on the MDX. The Lexus and the Highlander -- very much alike in so many respects -- just never struck me as having the substance and build quality of either the X-5 or the MDX. I thought seriously of the Envoy for about 30 minutes but ended up hating the seats (in which you slide all around on when cornering)and just concluded that the looks of the MDX and all of its features for the money blew the Envoy away in my thinking.

Who wants to have pay full sticker for the MDX -- no one, including me, but given all the parts of the equation, there is no doubt in my mind that dollar for dollar, feature for feature, the MDX is the undisputed top gun in this market right now -- even at MSRP.

Hope my thoughts are helpful to anyone else looking. Good luck to everyone.

Denis
    So it looks like I shouldn't get my hopes up to pay less than MSRP for a 2002, touring, Nav? I've got to make some calls and straighten this out--are some dealers selling above MSRP? How do they get away with that?

I haven't talked price with any dealerships yet, so I don't know what to expect--but I fully intend on getting a fair deal--nobody likes to feel like they've been advantage of, but I don't want to cave in b/c of supply and demand. Maybe I can get a discount on dealer-installed accessories? Am I being unreasonable?

I wish I had time to review all the previous messages, but....
  • shaker58shaker58 Member Posts: 130
    depending where your located some dealers sell 1000-3000 above msrp or they make you buy added options that you really dont want.I went to 4 dealers in ny and the best I got was msrp plus 895 for running boards that I didnt want. acura aren'tthe only ones that have this policy MB did it with clk430 8000+ over msrp and bmw m3 m5 5000 to 10000 over msrp and even chrysler with the pt cruiser last year
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    I'm thinking of going back to my homeland and buying an MDX in Toronto. With the current exchange rates (CDN$1.60 to US$1.00), the MDX can be had for about US$30,000 for an MDX with Touring (standard in Canada).

I currently own a Pathfinder and there were a ton of people in the PF board who have bought their PF and QX4 north of the border. So, has anyone tried it?
    The major issue is the warranty. Honda America will not perform any warranty work on Canadian Odyssey. Call Acura and make sure.

The reason on the PF is Nissan will honor the warranty for its Canadian model. You just need to buy the PF in Canada, then called Nissan America and put the PF's VIN in the system and that will do.
  • thewormtheworm Member Posts: 80
    Acura does *not* honor/provide a factory warranty on Candian MDXs in the US, and that includes recalls and TSBs. You'd have to buy a third-party warranty that is at least close to the factory bumper-to-bumper. You still might have an issue with recalls and TSBs, tho.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    I know this for a fact because I imported an Acura 1.6EL back in 1998 when I moved from Toronto to FL. My local Acura dealerships honored the Canadian warranty on all service work but only up to the terms of the Canadian warranty. It could be on a dealership-to-dealership basis. So, I know my dealerships would honor the warranty. Otherwise, they would not be getting service maintenance business from me. :)

I was just wondering if anyone in the MDX board purchased in Canada and brought it over to the U.S. and if they can share their experience.
    I'd make sure your dealership would still be willing to do it; Acura-USA can "crack down" on any time on said dealerships because they aren't supposed to be doing that (according to terms of agreement, as opposed to morally!).

Also, the 1.6EL isn't available in the U.S. and you relocated, which might qualify it more as a special relocation exemption (if there's such a thing) rather than just going out and buying an MDX for the purpose of using it in the U.S. So I don't know if it'd get the same treatment, but you're best qualified to do that research locally.

I know of another MDX system where two folks have mentioned buying from Canada. Haven't heard anything from one but the other was complaining vociferously because his vehicle had some problems. The dealership was able to resolve his issues (it sold him the Canadian vehicle, which is a somewhat different case), but there may have been issues/delays because of the third-party warranty that had to be used (Acura warranty was not applicable).
This discussion has been closed.