Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX (pre-2007)

Comments

• wdubswdubs Member Posts: 27
    Does anyone have 3 children in carseats? I'm close to purchasing a 2006 MDX and would like some real world advice. I have 2 children in booster seats and a newborn in an infant carrier. I would like to put all 3 seats in the 2nd row. I tried the seats at the dealer and they fit. Any advice from someone in the same situation? BTW don't suggest a minivan, my wife won't drive one. Thanks!

Also, any good experiences with dealers in the Tampa, FL area?
  • tjm44tjm44 Member Posts: 3
    I read that the 07 MDX requires premium gas. Does anyone know if that means it is really "required" or really recommended? Was that the case for the 06 and earlier models? Does it cost a lot more to run on premium, or is the gas mileage higher using premium vs. regular for close to a wash in total cost? Just trying to understand the implications here and if it really needs premium. As I recall, when we bought our minivan they also said premium is recommended, but we never used premium and it runs fine. Thanks.
  • steve290steve290 Member Posts: 25
    I have read that the new MDX will require premium gas. Unlike other manufacturers, whose cars are designed to be able to run on regular and lose a little HP, Acura's tend to lose mpg on lower octane fuel. I drive an '02 MDX and put 45,000 miles on per year. I like the MDX, with the exception of excessive road noise and premium fuel requirement. Last week in Massachusetts, I was forced to pay .45 more per gallon for premium fuel. It is an issue with me. Does anyone know if the new MDX will address the road noise issue?
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    The Acura web site says that the 2007 MDX has premium as the "recommended fuel." Same as the previous model.

Using regular gas is possible. There will be some loss in peak performance, and gas mileage will likely dip slightly.
    Regarding road noise, Acura did make some improvements with the 2003 or 2004 MDX (forgot which one). Acuras/Hondas do tend to be noiser than Lexuses/Toyotas so they didn't work miracles. Supposedly the new vehicle will have additional improvements.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    If I recall correctly, they gave the MDX a thicker windshield early in the model cycle.

Personally, I have no problem with the premium requirement. Complaining about premium fuel with a vehicle like this seems like putting the cart before the horse. But that's just me.

Based on memory, I believe the recommendation for the 2007 model said something about allowing use of regular fuel for short periods. It was not worded the same as what we see for the current MDX.
    If I recall correctly, they gave the MDX a thicker windshield early in the model cycle.

In the third or fourth model year (I forget which and am too lazy to look it up), Honda also added some "heat melt" sheets to the floor and added some sound insulation. So, supposedly, the newer ones are quieter. There's some general tech info that the new MDX has MVH improvements.

Personally, I have no problem with the premium requirement. Complaining about premium fuel with a vehicle like this seems like putting the cart before the horse. But that's just me.

I used to think the same way, and I still only use premium in both my vehicles that specify it. But I guess one reasoning I could apply is ... sometimes we drive a few blocks (burning a small amount of additional fuel) to save 3-10 cents to fuel up at a Safeway Gas or Costco. Or, rather than gas up in the neighborhood on the way home, I figure, "well, I'm going to Costco tomorrow to load up on mass quantities, so I'll wait on the lonnnggg line there and lose part of my Saturday, and gas up there to save a little." If I do that sometimes to save several cents a gallon, I can't begrudge folks who are curious about saving about 20 cents or so by not using premium. Especially if they think there's no harm done.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    If you do the math...10 cents a gallon (mid grade vs. premium) over 12,500 miles a year...it really doesn't add up to much...(For me the spread between gas grades is not more than 20 cents, not 45 as mentioned before)

Flat out apples to apples...If you figure 16 mpg average, that is 781.25 gallons of gas a year. Multiply that by .1 and you get under $100 dollars a year. Double the mileage or the cost and you are still not really much over $150.

So if you do a good job shopping for your car and you get a good deal you are probably making up the cost...You can probably figure that over the life of the car it is probably under $1000.

Another point that has been discussed in the past...I imagine you get slightly worse gas mileage on lower octane fuel, so you will probably be cutting into any $$ savings by using less expensive fuel by requiring more of it. So if your mileage is 2 mpg worse over the course of a year, you now need 891 gallons to cover the same distance (about 100 gallons more) so your net out of pocket cost is even higer. Theoretically it is more expensive at $3.00 a gallon? I doubt the difference is that drastic in mpg, but do the math...I don't think there is a huge $$$ win to regular/mid over premium (maybe even a loss). At a 0.5 mpg worse...I think you are almost break even.

This is a old topic re: MDX's and has been discussed many times. The MDX runs better on premium, for the minor expense over the cost of a year it is really nothing significant in my opinion. People complain about the $2.00 a tankful cost, however if you take a macro view of it...to me it is minor.

2002 is when they fixed the leaky side mirrors and added thicker glass I believe.

(For me the spread between gas grades is not more than 20 cents regular to premium, not 45 as mentioned in an earlier post)
  • mecheng1mecheng1 Member Posts: 161
    I think $.20 is the typical difference between regular(87 Octane) and premium (93 Octane) grades of gasoline. If someone is driving 50,000 miles per year (I assume a lot of that is highway) and getting 20 mpg...then the $500 or so a year in extra fuel cost could be "real money" and perhaps they should try and find a comparable vehicle with an engine the is designed for regular gasoline. As for the average owner, the yearly cost should be one-quarter of that -- in the same range as other truck ownership costs spread over several years, such as: regularly scheduled maintenance, insurance, batteries, tires, etc.

I think that drivers sensitive to the road noise should be more concerned with using premium fuel. There are several good write-ups on octane rating on the web. To summarize:
    Using a fuel with a higher octane lets an engine run at a higher compression without having problems with knock. Knocking (also called pinging) occurs when the fuel/air mixture in the cylinder has been ignites from the high compression pressure before it can be fully ignited by the spark plug. The resulting shockwave reverberates in the combustion chamber and pressures increase catastrophically, creating a characteristic metallic "pinging" sound.
    Compression is directly related to power, so engines that require higher octane usually deliver more power. High-performance engines are designed to operate with a high maximum compression and thus need a high quality (high energy) fuel usually associated with high octane numbers and thus demand high-octane premium gasoline.
    A common myth amongst gasoline consumers is that adding a higher octane fuel to a vehicle's engine will increase its performance and/or lessen its fuel consumption; this is mostly false—engines perform best when using fuel with the octane rating they were designed for and any increase in performance by using a fuel with a different octane rating is minimal.
    If a fuel with below recommended octane is used, then the engine will knock. Modern engines have anti-knock provisions built into the control systems and this is usually achieved by dynamically de-tuning the engine while under load by increasing the fuel-air mixture and retarding the spark.

-- source: Wikipedia
    Oh, I don't begrudge anyone trying to shave a few bucks off their gas bills. I didn't get the point where I can afford an MDX by wasting money left and right.

I just think the methods some folks will chose can be a bit odd. It's like a professor I had in college who drank a diet Coke at lunch, then finished with a twinkie.

Lighten up on the throttle and be smart about not using your MDX for short trips and you can get 21 mpg. I average 21.4 in mixed driving. A 1 mpg improvement over the course of 15,000 miles will net you just as much in savings as switching to regular gas.
  • needmdx2006needmdx2006 Member Posts: 10
    I can't understand why someone would spend $35000+ for a vehicle then stinge out on the gas to save a few bucks. The money is just not worth the risk of damaging your vehicle over time. Besides, you do get better mileage with premium gas! Seems like a no-brainer to me.
    Sorry for dragging this on one more post and I appreciate you are not suggesting regular over premium...but the example and savings are not necessarily real.

Ok, take the 50K miles and 20 cent price difference...so if you say 20 MPG at 93 octane - that is 2500 gallons a year, paying .20 more --> $500 more in apples to apples cost.

However, if you drive 50K miles at 87 octane, I think you would get more like 18 MPG (factor in applying more gas to get expected performance maybe less?)...which means 2777.78 gallons...so at $3.00 a gallon, you are paying $833 dollars in additional gas costs subtract the $500 savings and you are at a net loss of $333 per year.

If consumers are interested in saving gas costs, premium vs. regular isn't necessarily the answer...as posted, a vehicle with better gas mileage and that uses regular would be the choice. My Isuzu uses 87 octane, but at 11 mpg the MDX is cheaper to operate.
    Different gasoline octane ratings are manifested in engine knock. Engine knock only occurs in great amounts when the engine is under highest loads. Therefore, it only makes a difference in a small percentage of time the engine is operating. Hence, you will not see significant improvements in fuel efficiency with higher octane fuel (maybe 0.2 but certainly not 2 mpg).

If you use the MDX to tow heavy loads or if you are sensitive to engine noise...you should probably not deviate from using high octane. The long-term health of the engine will not be improved by years of pre-mature combustion and knock experienced using 87 octane rated fuel. :D
    On my very first free tank of gas from the dealer, I averaged 16.7mpg. Ever since I've been averaging 19 to 20mpg. It gets even better on long trips. I suspect that the difference was bcos my first tank of gas was regular gas. If anyone is averaging better gas mileage using regular gas I'd sure like to hear about it. I will do a test using regular gas on my next tank and see what mileage I get.
    I'm in the middle of an experiment of that nature. Though, I'm trying my best to use a larger data set. I've been calculating fuel economy for each fill-up as well as over the long run. So far, I've got 8 months of data while using premium and an overall fuel economy average of 21.4 mpg.

My first experiment was to see how accurate the trip computer is with its calculations. I compared the computed average with the average I got dividing distance travelled by gallons to refill. After 9-10 fill-ups, I came to the conclusion that the Trip Computer is optimistic by about .1 mpg.
  • pcsdpcsd Member Posts: 5
    I am curious about the cruise control button and hope that someone can help out.

I normally turn it on only when I need it. Then use the steering wheel controls to set and cancel.

However, is it harmful to drive with the cruise control button continuously on?
  • love2driveinctlove2driveinct Member Posts: 80
    Yes, it can be done!

We have a Britax Roundabout (convertible car seat), and two Graco TurboBoosters. They all fit in the 2nd row, although I will admit that the 5-yr-old has trouble getting his seat belt buckled sometimes, but it's not a huge deal.

I must confess, however, that I usually like to separate my two oldest (LOL), so one usually rides in the 3rd row if all 3 kids are with me. I keep the other half of the 3rd row folded flat (that's where I put the stroller). There is still plenty of room for groceries, etc, although if I end up doing more shopping than I planned, it only takes a minute to fold that seat back down and relocate the booster to the 2nd row.

And as far as the minivan goes, I can tell you that I used to drive an 04 Ody and before that, a 98 Chrysler T&C. This is BY FAR my favorite vehicle I have ever owned (with my pre-motherhood Nissan Altima a close second LOL) and I really love it. I spent a lot of time thinking about an 06 Ody and I have NO regrets about picking the MDX instead.

HTH!
    Is now posted on Acura's site, www.acuranews.com

(Base): $39,995
    w/Tech Package: $43,495
    w/Tech & Ent Packages: $45,695
    w/Sport & Tech Packages: $45,595
    w/Sport, Tech, and Ent Packages: $47,795
    Destination and handling charge: $670

So that would mean (excluding destination charge):

- Base is up $2,870
    - A model with all packages is up $3,595

2006 MSRP's:

Premium: $37,125
    Touring: $39,950
    Touring+RES: $41,450
    Touring+Nav: $42,700
    Tour+Nav+RES: $44,200
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    So, more horses, more torque, more towing, more dollars?

Movin' On Up: Acura Announces Price Increase on '07 MDX (Inside Line)
    Along with more features, more luxury, more comfort, more performance, and more choices. So, yeah, more dollars.
    Not sure if this has come up already in this thread. Pardon me if it's a repeat.

The 2007 MDX is rated with a max tow capacity of 5,000 lbs.

The 2001-2006 MDX was rated with a capacity of 3,500-4,500 lbs.

On paper, that looks like an increase of 500-1,500 lbs. However, that's a little misleading and buyers should be aware. Acura is playing fast and loose with the numbers. Although, to their credit, not as much as most other manufacturers.

The 2001-2006 models were rated with a max capacity that included not only the weight of the towed trailer, but also four occupants and their luggage for a weekend. The standard weight for an occupant is 150 lbs and the luggage weight is about 200 lbs. This meant you could tow 3,500-4,500 with another 800 lbs of people and gear inside.

The 2007 MDX is rated with only two occupants and gear for the weekend. So, realistically, the boat towing weight has only gone up 200 lbs. Though, the 1,200 increase for non-boats is still a nice boost.

I mentioned this being better than other manufacturers because companies like Ford and Toyota quote towing capacities with only one occupant and no gear at all.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Well said; you'd think the DOT would standardize the ratings to keep the various manufacturers "honest."
    Unfortunately, I was unable to duplicate the conditions using one tank of regular gas. The weather has been nice the last couple of weeks and I haven't been using the A/C much. The one time I switch to regular gas I averaged 18.6 mpg. I switched back to premium and I'm getting 21 mpg not using the A/C much. I don't care too much to continue using regular gas to see if the mileage will improve over time. I stick with premium gas. Hey it's down to $2.45 per gal in my area. :)
  • rstuvrstuv Member Posts: 5
    I use the cruise control all the time, the button is permanently on, and hasn't
    caused any problems; its quicker to re-engage cruise control that way :) .
  • nyernyer Member Posts: 32
    My wife and I can't make up our minds. We have a 3yr old and a 7month old. I guess according to your post, the MDX is roomy enough - that is one issue we are thinking about. The other issue is how important or more/less convenient are the auto sliding doors on the Ody Minivan vs MDX? What about storage space for the kids clutter (books, toys, etc.)? Thanks for your help
  • jsgbjsgb Member Posts: 12
    My wife and I have a 02 MDX. Our kids are now 5 and 2 and my 5 year old wanted a Honda Ody when she was 3 due to the sliding doors. She got over it and now likes the MDX. Both vehicles are very nice, but the MDX is also fun to drive, all-wheel drive, etc. The inside can stay very clean due to the leather seats being able to be wiped off of apple juice, snacks, etc. We bought a activity holder that slips behind one of the front seats for the extra small toys, books, sunglasses, kleenex, etc. Both seats also have room for some of the kids stuff also. I just put $ down on an 07MDX. We are no. 2 on the list at the dealer and should receive the 07 by Nov. 1st. The 07 should be a blast to drive....can't wait! But we will miss our reliable 02 MDX....it is finally broken in. Hope to keep the apple juice/crackers out of the 07 for a while!
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    Nyer,
    The wife and I were planning on an 06 Oddy purchase, as we also have a 3 yr old daughter.
    We wanted the room, ease of loading kids and the Ent package for her to enjoy on the long trips.
    We gave it a test drive and the wife loved it, but I found a drastic lack of legroom for the driver.

When test drove the MDX and we ended up with a Sage Brush Pearl on Black 06 MDX Touring w/ Nav and RES for the same price we were gonna pay for the Oddy.

We love the ride and the little one has a great time in the back (2nd row). She loves her DVD player and all I have to do is open the back door and she climbs in all by herself.
    I just click the straps and away we go.

I've also taken my 1yr niece for the weekend, and we load her into the MDX without any problems at all.
    In fact, it may be even easier for loading kids than the oddy.... doesn't seem like you have to lean in all that much. My brother-in-law has an Oddy so it's easy for me to compare.

We love the MDX and have never second thought or questioned our decision over the Oddy.
    In fact, when we see an Oddy on the road now, we feel that much happier with our purchase.

Hope it helps, good luck.
    An opened pearl-white and one silver 2007-MDX are crowd-pullers at
    Miami Beach Convention Ctr Intl Autoshow, which runs through Sun 15.
    FYI: Front grille looks better than posted pictures! 2 memory seat
    buttons present but standard Roof rack absent. A release tab just
    below the dash now disengages Foot-brake. No side-moldings !!!
    ;)
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    ...and the MDX looks GREAT! I was surprised to see they had one out for people to poke around in.

The interior is a MAJOR upgrade. You feel like a pilot cocooned in a cockpit. It feels like a much roomier version of the flagship RL.

The fold-flat third row is so simple to use! The power liftgate is quiet as can be. I can only imagine how well this thing drives with the increased HP.

IMHO, when compared to my wife's 06 ML350, the MDX has more features, more room, and a nicer overall package... and at a MUCH better price.

Me thinks we'll be trading out of the ML in a year or so...... :)
  • nyernyer Member Posts: 32
    Thanks for the info. Because of your post and more thinking about it, we went for the 2006 MDX. Just need to get the VW Passat Wagon lease wrapped up and then we pick up the MDX. Very excited!!! Not 2nd guessing our decision over the 2006 Oddy because it costs about the same and all that room most likely is not necessary at this point. Also, we do get a 3rd row with the MDX so other passengers can come along for the ride. The Oddy may be better suited 3 yrs from now when we turn in the MDX and the kids are older and into more sports etc. Thanks for the help.
  • allison5allison5 Member Posts: 130
    for 3 kids. I am interested in hearing about whether the MDX has enough room, I am in this quandry myself as we speak. I too am between the Odyessy and the MDX, I do not like the way the pilot sat for my bad back, the odyessy is not perfect for my back either but I can deal with it. I have 3 kids who are 12,10 and 6 years old. I can't afford the new 07 and i can get a better deal on an 06 MDX. I like the fact that the Odyessy has much more room but I have heard about problems with this van on these forums, I realize this could be any car so I don't know. At the moment I have a GMC SUV, piece of junk!!! I traded in my 2001 Odyessy for this SUV in 2004 and I do miss the sliding doors but just do not know whether to stay with a SUV. We do go to the snow in Lake Tahoe, Calif in winter for skiing but can always rent a AWD SUV if weather is going to be bad. DO I also want to go back to the minivan thing after many years of having them. I just don't know, but I need to make a decision soon, my beast is having problems and I do not want to put more money into it. Also will the novelty of having the fun MDX wear off when the kids get srunched? What did the other people in the forums who had 4 or 3 kids do, did you end up buying the MDX? Any ideas would be much appreciated, thanks
    Congrats Nyer.
    I don't you'll be sorry with your decision at all and I hope you enjoy your 06 as much as we do ours!
    From my circle of friends here on the east coast, the third child pushes everyone over to the Ody (or other larger vehicles) from the MDX or the Pilot. My two are near the same ages as yours and we are packed tight for trips. [don't know where I would put a third].....just my first hand experience...FWIW :D
  • dzungductrandzungductran Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 MDX TOuring and the memory seat is not working. When press on the red memory button the 2 seat buttons lighted up and I pressed one of them, but it does not beap twice and nothing happen.

Also, my cruise control is not working. The main switch light is on, but when I pressed the set button, nothing happen.

Any idea on these problems
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Please go to the group top level and create a discussion that fits your comments/questions or post in an existing discussion.

Acura MDX
    You did not indicate if you had your transmission at "P"
    while setting your seat memory. Memory Seat adjustment
    would not work at D, R, or N. This is an in-built safety feature.
  • xerrtoxerrto Member Posts: 11
    where is the fm antenna located?
    Rear window.
    Why?

I'm curious what that has to do with your adding Sat Radio. :confuse:
  • xerrtoxerrto Member Posts: 11
    The Pioneer Inno for XM has a wireless fm connection called SureConnect that is suppose to adher to the window over the antenna and connect to the radio without any direct wires.
  • player4player4 Member Posts: 362
    We are in the process of deciding weather to buy a Certified Pre-Owned 2004-2006 Volvo XC90 most probably the T6 AWD, or a Certified Pre-Owned 2004-2006 Acura MDX Touring. Now the NAV on the MDX how good is it? Does it come with backup camera? Can you change the language settings? My parents want the NAV but only if it can be programed to where it is in Spanish, is this possible?

Since they are getting a used one they want to get it loaded but no DVD though just NAV. And also does anyone know if you can get a 2007 keyfob from the 2007 MDX and program it to where it can be used on a 04-07?

Anyother comments or suggestions and input would be great.

Thanks alot in advance

Player4
    If you search these forums, I posted a link on how to program the acura key fob. I found an article on google groups about how to program a 1994 acura legend (I think that is what it was) and followed the steps. When I had my kef fob replaced...as I lost one, the dealer charged a lot for the fob and wanted an additional $100 (or something close to that) for re-programming.

Anyway, I would guess that Acura didn't re-write that software? It was something like turn the key 13 times, open/close the door, turn it 2 more times, press the button, etc. I had to do it a couple of times but not that hard.

Go for the pre-owned MDX. My 2002 is great. I have a touring without NAV.
    I mean the keyfob in the new MDX's the redisigned model. Anyway, yea we might end up getting the MDX beucase the Volvo doesnt have very good reliability and the T6 models they all have a 4 speed auto from GM and i see that many people jave had problems with the tranny. Though i prefer looks of the Volvo, i rather have a reliable car.

Anyone know where i can find night interior shots of the 2004-2006 MDX? I really want to see how the interior looks at night.

Thx
    I have an 06 MDX Touring with DVD and Nav.
    It already has 22,000 miles on it, and other than a subwoofer rattle, I've had no issues what so ever.

I've driven from MA to IL and MI twice and never once needed a map and averaged 23 mpg.
    Navi was 100% accurate and helped me find gas stations, various food options and hotels as well.

I have not yet, even once, regretted this purchase.

Unfortunately, the Acura website no longer shows the 06 model, but if I get around to it this weekend, I'll take some interior pics.

The interior is nice at night.
    Acura offers LED ambient lighting (blue) throughout the front cabin space. It's very minor but you know it's there and I think it's kinda nice.
    The Navi has options for different background colors for night driving and the gauges are easy to read, without bugging out your eyes.

I only have one complaint about the interior at night...
    The steering wheel controls are not backlit.
    Acura dropped the ball here... very sad for a $45,000 vehicle.

You'll be happy with the MDX... I am. :)
    Thank you very much for your response. Sounds like you are a very sattisfied customer, and i think we will be too. I did see that it has the ambient lighting and also on the footwells i think it was added either for the 04 or 05 model, i think its kinda nice. I would really appreciate your pictures by the way..
    And the NAV since Honda has one of the bests ones out there i wasnt very doubtful of it but now that you tell me how great it is im sure we'll end up getting one with NAV.
    I want to get my hands on a 2006 MDX brochure from Acura but i dont know where to get it at?

Thank you
    I wouldn't wait much longer, but ask your dealer... they may have some 06 brochures still on hand.
    I only have one, which I'm keeping for prosperity :blush: .... otherwise, I'd send one.

If you're really interested, they sell them on Ebay for less than $10-
    Alright thx. yea i thought about going to the dealer and asking for one since the 07 just came in, theres a chance that they still have 06 brochures in.

If not then maybe ill do ebay then.
    Alright...
    I was gonna take some interior pics but the wife decided to play some sort of disappearing act with my brand new digital camera... :mad:

I stopped by my dealer and they had one brochure left and after working on them for awhile, they let me have it.
    I also have the Accessory Guide.

See if you dealer has one, and if not, I'll just throw the thing in the mail to ya.
    Oh man thank you so much, yea i emailed my dealer about it and they havent replyed. So im going to stop by on thursday and see if they have it.

Ill let you know how it goes..

Thank you very much.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter aims to talk with a current Honda or Acura owner who is looking to change ownership to another brand. Please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than February 28, 2007 with your daytime contact information.
    I was bored and thinking about this, so I decided to look it up and found my post from way back.

Transmitter Programming for a 2002 MDX

Storing transmitter codes:
    The codes of up to three transmitters can be read into the keyless
    reciever unit memory.(If a fourth code is stored, the code which was
    input first will be erased.)

Note: It is important to maintain the time limits between the steps.

1.Turn the ignition switch ON (| |).
    2. Within 1 to 4 sec., push the transmitter lock or unlock button with
    the transmitter aimed at the reciever in the passenger's multiplex
    control unit.
    3. Within 1 to 4 sec., turn the ignition switch OFF.
    4. Within 1 to 4 sec., turn the ignition switch ON (| |).
    5. Within 1 to 4 sec., push the transmitter lock or unlock button with
    control unit.
    6. Within 1 to 4 sec., turn the ignition switch OFF.
    7. Within 1 to 4 sec., turn the ignition switch ON (| |).
    8. Within 1 to 4 sec., push the transmitter lock or unlock button with
    control unit.
    9. Within 1 to 4 sec., turn the ignition switch OFF.
    10. Within 1 to 4 sec., turn the ignition switch ON (| |).
    11. Within 1 to 4 sec., push the transmitter lock or unlock button
    with the transmitter aimed at the reciever in the passenger's
    multiplex control unit.
    12. Confirm you can hear the sound of the door lock actuators. Within
    1 to 4 sec., push the transmitter lock or unlock button again.
    13. Within 10 sec.,aim the transmitters (up to three) whose codes you
    want to store at the receiver, and press the transmitter lock or
    unlock buttons. Confirm that you can hear the sound of the door lock
    actuators after each transmitter code is stored.
    14.Turn the ignition switch OFF, and pull out the key.
    15. Confirm proper operation with the new code(s).

Took me 2 times to get it right. I messed up 12 and 13 (I got excited when I realized this was going to work). This is from a discussion group on how to program 2000 TL remotes, works for the MDX too. Double checked it and everything seems fine. $59.95 labor for this.
This discussion has been closed.