Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura MDX (pre-2007)

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Check this out! Auto Parts Bargains and Coupons

Feel free to add your own to the growing list. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • cwalticwalti Member Posts: 185
    Do you know if this sequence still works for the 2007 model year. I would like to get a 2007 Acura TL switch blade key and code it for my 2007 Element EX... Can you post the programming sequence for the 2007 Element?

cwalti@gmail.com
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    Well, I've had my MDX for 10 months now, and it has 26,000 miles on it.
    The car itself seems solid and reliable, but it has not gone without problems.
    As minor as these are, I expected better from my $45,000 vehicle.

1) Subwoofer
    The subwoofer causes an abnormal vibration in the exterior rear quarter panel. This vibrates so badly that you can see it vibrating and it makes a horrible noise, even with the volume set at like 6 or 7.
    It has been in for a repair 5 times and going in again tomorrow.
    Each "repair" makes the problem worse.
    There is now an awful loud thump back there every time a door is opened, and the vibration can now be heard from inside the cabin.

2) Dash Rattle
    This can only be heard on cold mornings, but it's there and it drives me crazy.

3) Windshield whistle
    The windshield whistles at 78 mph and above. It is coming from the passenger corner. I guess the resolution is - Don't Speed!

4) Navigation; Loss of power
    The Navi unit has lost power 5 times since my purchase in May, 06. I know this because I have been prompted for the security code when starting the car 3 times now, and it has shut down and rebooted twice while driving. Problem is only with the Nav as the stereo has never prompted for it's code.
    Acura has looked at it and found no problems, but now the center stack doesn't fit into the dash as well and is sticking out in the corners. They are going to try and correct this tomorrow.

5) Key Fobs
    The fob has a lousy range and only locks the doors when it feels like it. Sometimes, it doesn't lock at all. I've had this looked at and they are not able to fix the problem.
    Also, the keyfob is really scratched up while only carrying one key. It looks 6 yrs old.

6) Driver's seat movement
    I can feel this when starting, stopping, and accelerating around corners. This is a safety issue that has yet to be corrected.

7) Daylight Savings Time
    Not Acura's fault, but the car no longer can change it's time automatically. This now needs to be done manually.
    Acura claims there is no update or correction planned for this.

8) Climate Control
    The climate control in this car is a joke. I set it to 70 and sometimes, the heat blasts until my eyes dry out and I die. Other times, it seems to think it's very hot in the car and never heats up at all.

Car runs and drives great. I love the navi, the mpg, and the car is awesome for family road trips.
    I just didn't expect these little nuisances.
    Sort of a bummer.
    Got my MDX back from service.
    I had 5 things looked at...

1) Subwoofer
    I was told it's normal.
    The thump is a cover over a vent tube on each side of the car, and that cover flaps when the cabin pressure changes by opening a door.
    This is also the cause of the vibration.
    Normally, I would push this further, but the MDX is becoming the wife's car and she doesn't notice the issue with her choice of music.

2) Navigation; Loss of power
    They have not found the cause of power loss but they did fix the installation of the Nav unit and it looks much better.

3) Key Fobs
    First time I had this looked at, they found nothing. I asked again on this visit and they are now aware of an issue with the unit that receives the signal. It's located behind the glove box. They replaced that and so far, so good.

4) Daylight Savings Time
    Acura is working on an update.

5) Squeaking rear door handle
    Needed to be lubricated inside the door, which they took care of.

I completely forgot to mention the movement in the seat. I mentioned it on the phone when making the appointment, but forgot about it when dropping it off.
    My bad.

:)
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    No. I don't know, you can search the web, google groups. My guess is that it will. If it doesn't...I don't think it can hurt to try, because only if it works will it change your current settings.
    4) Daylight Savings Time
    Acura is working on an update.

They did have substantial lead time on that! The DST legislation was passed two years ago (Energy Policy Act of 2005).

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    They did have substantial lead time on that!

Believe me... I agree.
    I work for a software company and we've been dealing with DST issues for longer than I care to remember.
    Why Acura dropped the ball on this, I don't know.

As for my Keyfob repair, it's now worse than before.
    Acura has admitted to there being a problem with the receiver and replaced mine.
    The car will now no longer lock at all, until I walk up the the passenger window and point the fob inside.
    Ugh. :sick:
  • nivki89nivki89 Member Posts: 15
    Would this will work for 2004 MDX?
    Worked on my 06, so yes, the 04 should work as well.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    Maybe I didn't read your message thoroughly enough, why would you want to re-code your key fob? Battery die in the key fob? My '04 fob still has plenty of juice. I think I missed something.
    I have an 06.
    The unit that receives the signal from the keyfob was not working properly, causing me to have a hard time locking the doors.... and was replaced.
    The keyfobs then need to be programmed to that unit.

Another reason would be if you lose your keyfob and buy a new one. The fob then needs to be programmed.

This conversation started when people were talking about using the 2007 Keyfob in an earlier model, since the fob is a switchblade design with the key inside.
    Aaaaahh, thanks for the clarification. Now if someone can figure how to program the '07 fob to close the windows as well as open them that would be impressive.
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    Don't they automatically go down if you just press and hold unlock? Up, I'm not so sure of. Maybe holding lock?

We had this feature in an RX300 back in 1998 so i surprise many people who buy a luxury car now and have no idea that happens. Some cars even open the sunroof.

-Cj :)
  • dmz616dmz616 Member Posts: 17
    On my 2002 MDX, noticed a metallic rattling noise mostly when I start or shut off the engine. This happend when I was on a trip out of town. At that time I had about 79,750 miles on the car. When I got back I took it to the dealer (Priority Acura, Cheseapeake, VA). They said it was the catalytic converter, and it was out of the 80,000 federal emmisions warranty - I had 80,450 miles. After two days with the car, they said that Acura would pay half of the $2233.18 bill. I have called Acura customer service, and told them about my loyalty to Honda/Acura products. Do not know if they will budge. Has anyone else had converter problems? Has anyone had Acura do a goodwill replacement over 80,000 miles?
    BTW, I have had more problems with the MDX than any other vechicle I have owned. These include replacement of transmission, NAVI computer, rear propeller shaft, 4 headlight assys, temp sensor, EGR valve,belt/tensor pulley, front stablizer bars, front shocks, 2 mirror actuators, & front engine mount. And I don't drive it off road.
  • mdxguymdxguy Member Posts: 4
    To "Catalytic Coverter, 2002 MDX" i have a 2002 MDX and i have no serious problem with it. It has over 165,000 miles on it and is still running in pretty good same (since the day i bought it). The only thing i did major on is just the the routine mantainces that require.
    I'd be interested to know what major (expensive) problems owners have had over 100,000 miles. Since we have had so many problems, we might trade for a new MDX or Honda Pilot after 100,000 miles.
  • joey14joey14 Member Posts: 4
    I am trying to program a FOB for a 06 MDX. Followed your instructions without any luck.

Clarification - I am aiming the FOB @ the passenger's Multiplex control unit? (MCU is the passenger door lock?)

Thanks for your assistance.

Joey
    I used the instructions on my 06 MDX and the instructions worked perfectly.

I sat in the driver's seat while going through the steps, and didn't point anywhere in specific, but yes, the control unit is behind the glove box.
  • brothjebrothje Member Posts: 3
    My backup camera on my 2003 MDX stopped working about a month ago. I took it into the dealer who said that the camera had gone bad, so I needed a whole new camera.

The price was going to be $1,094, so I said I would think about it, as I wasn't sure I needed if fixed that bad. Anyone had an experiences with backup cameras gone bad?
    Just had my '04 in for the 50k mile service (if there is such a thing) Anyway, it was the first time it has been in the shop for any "service" They replaced all the fluids and lubed everything,replaced pollen filter, flushed brake lines all for only $585. I guess that's not too bad when you consider it's never had any work done, only a set of tires. The brakes have about 10k left on them according to tech and he said that will be approx. $1k to have new rotors and pads all the way around, does this sound about right?
    $1k to have new rotors and pads all the way around, does this sound about right?

You could do it yourself in your driveway fo about $250-
  • mecheng1mecheng1 Member Posts: 161
    The dealers are big on making everyone replace the rotors because Acura/Honda under-designed them for such a large truck. Rotors should last 150K miles or more. If you are told they need replacing, ask for a comparison of the measured thickness to the service limit thickness. If they claim they are warped, ("have hot spots") then ask for a comparison of the measured runout to the service limit runout.

I changed my pads myself at 55K and not the rotors and the brakes continue to work fine. :D
    Maybe I'll get estimates @ various brake shops and see what the difference is? scottm123, just had the driveway sealed and fear I would ruin it. ;) ">
    I was successful in programming my FOB for my 2006 MDX and it works great. However....I noticed on the weekend that my panic button does not work (on both FOBS). I then did a quick test. Left my window open, locked the doors with my FOB, and then opened the doors manually.

Big surprise....my alarm did not go off?

Any ideas? Does this have anything to do with the re-programming of my two FOBS?

Thanks in advance.
    If the alarm is not going off when tampering with the car itself, it has little to do with the fob.
    The alarm is set when the vehicle is locked... it's not set by any action of the fob, other than locking the car.

Sounds like a problem with the alarm itself.
    I don't know off the top of my head, but is there a separate fuse for that?
    I'll look to see if the alarm has its own fuse, maybe it needs replacing?

I did verify the alarm is being set when I lock with the FOB. Red light does come on the driver side door.

Thanks for the suggestion.
    You should also be able to verify the alarm is set by just locking the door with the key.
    I know, after an awkward experience at the dealership, that if you reach into an open window of a Lexus, unlock the door, and then open it, the alarm sounds through the whole dealership for 10 minutes.... while a bunch of sales people panic while trying to find the missing key. :blush:

I honestly don't know if the MDX does this as well, but I can try on mine tonight, when I get home.
    Your recommedation is how I figured out my alarm was not working.

I left my window down, locked the doors and then reached in and unlocked my doors manually, No alarm sounded?
    I forgot to test this. :(
    I'll try to remember for tonight.
  • mweinstein2mweinstein2 Member Posts: 16
    :mad: 2005 MDX: 23000 miles only! Bought new. When I received car their was creases in the leather that the dealer blamed on the plastic that was on the seats and said would even out. After 8 months and no change they replaced. New covers not much better but I waited again as they told me leather would even out.; Today I met with regional service manager that said it was normal wear. I said I hardly use the car, (23000 miles in 3 years) and that this was not exceptable in a $40+ vehicle. I asked who I could now speak with and he said he was it and the next step would be for me to go to court. Could not believe they way I was treated. They said if they showed me other vehicles where the leather was the same would I be satisfied. They showed be MDX with 65k mileage and the seats looked better then mine. I am not heavy and can no one can believe how crappy the seats look. My concern is with only;y 23000 miles, what will it look at when the car has 60k. Anyone else have same issues and suggestions on who I should speak with next. Calling care in CA has not gone to far. Thanks
    My '04's seats started creasing from day one. I just thought it was my weight. Now I think it is from poor quality leather as I have compared them to the leather in my '07 sport w/ not a crease after almost 10k miles.
    Today I met with regional service manager that said it was normal wear.

One might regard it as normal wear - for inferior leather.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • mweinstein2mweinstein2 Member Posts: 16
    The fact that the regional service manager said that their was no one else for me to speak to after him and my next step would be to take them to court is ridicolus and insulting. I was hoping someone on the forum would know the best way to deal rather then just calling Acura corporate
    Scottm123,

I believe you have had issues w/ the subwoofer in your pre '07 MDX. Am I right? I have had the vibration from it as well for a long time and now it is out of warranty. Is there anything I can do myself to lessen this vibration? I have had to turn the bass down to almost zero to get rid of the noise. Thanks
    Just had new brakes put on the '04 all the way around, not cheap :cry: $950 for pads and rotors. I had two estimates and both places (Acura and Monro) suggested it needed to be done. Some people i've talked to wonder why the brakes went out after only 50k miles. Has anyone else had to replace the brakes so soon?
    I have an 02, just replaced brakes at 90K, pads still had some left, rear more than front.
    I have an 02 MDX with 90K. When I rev the engine up to 3k+ RPMs (while in park or neutral), I get a metallic rattle only when I first let off on the gas; that sounds like it is coming from the lower part of the engine. Just had catalytic converter replaced at 80K. Dealer says the noise seems to be coming from the area where the y-pipe comes from the engine, but has not be able to diagnose the problem. Any suggestions?
    Thanks to Pat, our Moderator in the G35 forum for tugging me in and letting me know you were looking for me.
    The wife has taken ownership of the MDX and this occurred when I got my G35 back in April.

I was fighting quite a bit with Acura over this vibration, and they were trying to work with me, but making matters worse with every attempt.
    They've scratched interior panels, screwed up wiring, ruined a cargo tie down and the list goes on.

When the wife took the MDX from me, she didn't continue the fight... didn't matter as much to her.
    She still complains about it though.

My daughter watches a movie like The Little Mermaid and there are scenes that sound like the whole back of the truck is gonna fall apart.

Acura's final word when I last talked to them is "working as designed"

The "optional" sound system in the vehicle is an absolute joke and I hate it.

I wish I had a good answer for you, but the sub is awful, the system was poorly designed, and the service guys have no idea how to make it any better. :sick:

God, that's a bad answer, huh?
    Thanks for responding, well I guess I'll have to put up with it. Any chance of disconnecting it all together? Without any bass the stereo would probably sound like a transistor radio.
    I thought of that too.
    Without that sub, it sounds pathetic.
  • ckalolackalola Member Posts: 6
    hello. i'm in the market for a 2004 MDX touring. i've found 1 in my area that is a white/beige touring model with dvd system and 38050 miles. it is acura certified and the dealer has listed is for 26995, but offered it via e-mail to me for 25200. my question is what would be a fair price for this car...i know it's difficult to answer w/o seeing it, but it is in very good cosmetic condition (no major scratches, dents, no carpet/leather stains). the carfax is clean with no reported accidents. the dealer did, however, state the left front fender was repainted at some point, but the fender is original (not replaced). what price-point would you suggest i aim for? thanks in advance for your help! also, if another forum would serve me better, please let me know.
    Being an owner of an '04, I can say that you would be hard pressed to find a better vehicle. It has definitely been the best vehicle I have owned up to this point. KBB and edmunds list their CPO prices as 29,600 and 27,600 respectively. I would be wary of the painted fender. Can you tell if it was repainted? Just because a car has a clean "carfax" doesn't mean it was never in an accident.
  • ckalolackalola Member Posts: 6
    it was repainted. a car wholesaler friend of mine came with me and he brought a paint metering device which showed him it was repainted; he (or i) couldn't tell by just looking at it. he got underneath and under the hood and assured me that the fender itself was the factory original...it had not been replaced (the factory stickers were still on it without the telltale red dot indicating it was factory metal); but, indeed, it was repainted. he concluded that since the metal was original, whatever reason it was repainted for probably didn't include a major collision. shall i use this as a bargaining chip? what do you think about the price he's offered me of 25200? thanks.
    That seems like a very reasonable price for the vehicle and mileage. Did the dealer tell you the fender was painted? What does he have to say about this? Also, @ 38k miles the car may be due for tires all the way around if they haven't been replaced already.
    Has anyone installed a remote starter on their pre-07 MDX and if so which brand? When I bought the vehicle the dealer steered me away from installing one because it would interfere w/ the security system. However, now the '04 sits in the driveway because I don't have enough room in the garage. Damn it's getting cold out!
  • rjorge3rjorge3 Member Posts: 144
    Hi gang, I need to replace my wife's truck in the next two months. We would like to get a 05/06 model. Have any of you purchased these model years recently, and if so, how much did you paid? Those who have already one, any problems? are you overall satisfied with the truck?

I also want to get the 7 years, 100,000 powertrain warranty, is that automatically included when you buy a CPO MDX or do I need to get a separate extended warranty.

Thanks a lot in advance for your responses.

R

p.s. Also, if you know of a good and reputable acura dealer in NJ or NYC metro area, please let me know. Thanks again
  • badgerfan89badgerfan89 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a black on black 2005 MDX Touring with both Navigation and RES with ~ 57k miles for ~ $24100. Other than the high miles, the vehicle is in excellent condition. It was a 1-owner trade-in that I believe the dealership just wanted to get rid of before the end of 2007. Was mostly focusing on '04's due to pricing, but couldn't pass it up because it was such a great deal (trade-in via edmunds TMV in excellent condition is ~ $25k). Wanted the silver exterior with black interior, but was willing to make a concession due to the great deal.

BTW, there is another one (2005 MDX touring with Nav, RES, and towing package - priced @ $23,995) with ~ 64k miles located in the Milwaukee, WI area. I found it the same time I found mine via Autotrader (this one is located at a place named Car King). Colors are burgandy exterior with tan interior. Using the provided pictures as reference, looks to be in really good condition. Here's the link:

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dda/detail.jsp?result_car_id=235928389&dealers- hip_view_name=www.carkinginc.com&car_id=235928389&dealer_id=554624

Best of luck to you all in your searching!

MJ
  • wilsongkwilsongk Member Posts: 6
    Hello All:

Found a 2005 MDX touring with nav & RES w/ 38K miles. Dealer (toyota dealer) asking $23,900. Looks and drives great, but missing the nav disc. Is there anything else I should look at before making offer?

Thanks
    KW
    Are they the original tires? I had to replace mine @ 40k miles. It'll run you 600-700 dollars to replace w/ the michelins. Other than new brakes @ 50k miles the vehicle has been bullet proof.
  • 10sfan10sfan Member Posts: 136
    I have the MDX Touring with out NAV, etc. Lease expires 7/8/08. With 22,000 miles have to decide on next move. No problems. Also bullet proof so far. Lease buy out is $24,600 with Honda Finance. Hate to give back 10-12,000 miles. Based on the problems owners on this site have with the 2007 - 2008, may not consider another MDX if the buy out is still too high in July. Just move on to another SUV based on pricing and reliability, etc. Have 80,000 on a 2000 RL with no major problems, had the extended warranty which helped on wheel bearings and emission part replacements.
    Tires and brakes are usual and customary between 35,000-45,000 miles. May want to be sure the differential and transmission fluids were changed on the MDX
This discussion has been closed.