Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Talk Directly To 1Source Auto Warranty

My bad experience with 1sourceautowarranty.com

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • jmalik1jmalik1 Member Posts: 21
    I have been researching the RX300 and MDX for a while and lately have been trying to decide in favor of one of the two. I think I have reached my decision. RX it is.

The following RX features compelled me the most to decide in its favor:
    1. Quieter and smoother ride compared to MDX
    2. HID lamps availability (not available for MDX)
    3. VSC, traction control and Brake Assist (not available for MDX)
    4. Water repellant front door and side view mirror glass (not available for MDX)
    5. More comfortable/plush interior (IMO, although I understand that this is quite subjective)

I wish RX also had the following MDX features :
    1. Third row seating (good to have just in case you need them)

A multitude of issues discussed by MDX owners (at acuramdx.org) and experienced by multiple MDX owners (not single instances) added up and collectively swayed me in RX’s direction. The thud problem, the nicks, water seeping into the car, a relatively incomplete navigation database, complaints about a stiff ride, wind noise etc. I am sure Acura will eventually address these issues in later models but that would be too late for us. RX being a continuation model has hopefully already ironed out any major issues that must have come up in its introductory year (also I don’t hear any RX owners about water seeping into the cabin)

Thanks to contributors on this forum as well as to MDX owners sharing their experiences at acuramdx.org for sharing their experiences and helping car shoppers like myself make informed decisions.

Now I can start preparing/researching for the actual transaction (still a month ahead).
  • tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    jmalik1- If the Rex fits your "needs", congrats! In terms of reliability, fit and finish, I think you will be very pleased.

Things the MDX has that I wish the Rex had:

1. Steering wheel mounted radio controls. THis is a must for me.
    2. Driver's seat memory setting linked to the key fobs. Not a necessity, but a nice feature.
    3. Better cargo space.

Things I wish the Rex had in general:

3. Mirror memory in addition to the seat memory. Other Lexii have this.
    4. Better ergonomic design on the whole center dash console/LCD systems display. Lexus missed the mark on this one.

But like any relationship, the pluses far outweighed the minuses in terms of choosing the Rex.

Let us know how the deal goes down. Good Luck.
    Thanks tonychrys:
    Will keep you posted
  • joanziejoanzie Member Posts: 51
    Tonychrys, Have you ever used your crossbars? Couldn't find any info on them anywhere in the manual as to how much weight can I carry and why didn't Lexus put strips on top so If I want to put a suitcase up there I won't scratch the roof. Also, I can't get used to the heat being automatic and just setting the temp.because sometimes I feel cool air also, can I just get heat and no cool air with it or is it all just automatic? I know it is in the book but it really confuses me. They told me they are not using Nakamichi system in their prem package because they had problems, it is now Mark levinson did you know that? Thanks for all your info. I enjoy your comments about the rex, I sure love my car, it is a luv not an suv.I have never been so comfortable while driving. Thanks again.
  • tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    TC,

Here is my (3 1/2 year-old) son's seat. It didn't take us long to decide in its favor because of the limitless adjustments to match his growth.

It is not an isofix since our Lex is a '99, but I (as well as my son) feel very comfortable having it.

On another note, thank you for helping me settle the constant discussion with my wife regarding the correct plural of Lexus, as you wrote, Lexii is the ONLY way to go!

Tarik

• abiswasabiswas Member Posts: 8
    Hi all -

Just wanted to thank all the Rex owners who contribute to this forum - probably THE reason I recently purchased a 01 ReX. All the advice from users like tonychrys and wwest (and all of you) are much appreciated.

Here a couple questions I had:

1) Are there any REX owners that are from SoCal that have painted the bottom of their cars to match the top - making it a monotone coloring? I really think Lexus goofed by making the body color two-toned, and I would like to change the color of my rex to look more like the new Silversport edition and the MDX.

2) Is the Silversport's front grill available to purchase from the Lexus dealership?

3) Have any of you put chrome wheels that are not from Lexus (17s or higher preferably)? I am intersted in getting a set of chrome wheels but I am also hunting for bargain. Any advice?

4) Any ReX owners out there that have purchased an aftermarket front fascia mask or bra. I am going on a 2000-mile plus drive across country and really would have to have rocks and stuff scratch the finish on the front. Do any of you have the Lexus front mask - if so what is cost.

Thanks all.

abiswas.
  • lexrxlexrx Member Posts: 2
    I join abiswas in thanking all here -

My question is about bike racks. Have an RX300 without a hitch. Don't plan to tow anything heavier than 2 bikes, at least in the near future. Would like access to cargo area with bikes loaded.

I know I need a hitch, and a bike rack. Any suggestions on either? (I'm not looking to spend a fortune - already have done that on the car!)

Thanks for any and all suggestions.
  • silly1040silly1040 Member Posts: 48
    I would go for the "Clear Bra" from 3M. There are a couple companies that distribute it on the inter net.

The company I used on my wife's RX300 in October 2000 was from www.xpel.com
    Just the hood is $119. The kit I received included protection for the side mirrors $209.

It is time consuming to install it, but it looks worth it. We haven't found any chips in our RX300 now for 6 months. You can get alot more information from the companies web site.

I remember that another person in this forum said that they used another distrubuter that will send you another piece, if you miss up the installation. sorry but I don't remember the name. I'm pretty sure that 3M is the only manufacturer, so go with the cheapest distrubuter.
  • mooretorquemooretorque Member Posts: 241
    A, a number of posters (may have to go back a ways) have indeed done monochrome treatment. Also check clublexus.com for more, including posted pix.

Bigger wheels than 16" work, but (again, previous posts) require spacers at least in the rear to clear the suspension.

Don't know about Silversport grill; suspect it can be gotten; don't expect it will be cheap.
  • brian121brian121 Member Posts: 8
    First, is the Premium Plus Value Package pricing gone except for those cars in dealer stock? Edmunds is still listing the Value Package pricing and I got pricing today (on a configuration not in stock) consistent with the regular Value Plus Package listed in Kelley's.

Second, there was some talk in earlier posts of another promotion to replace the Value Package. Anybody heard?

Third, how does the $500 owner loyalty coupon (or whatever it it scalled) work? Is this paid by the dealer or by Lexus. It makes a difference in negotiations.

Thanks for any help.
  • lou1720lou1720 Member Posts: 1
    I've finished my research and decided to buy a new RX 300 in the next few weeks. Does anyone have experience with Wilkie Lexus in Haverford, PA - integrity, price, service. etc?

What kind of a deal can I expect in Southeastern Pennsylvania on a $42.5K MSRP Rex w/NAV?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions you can give me.
  • rfhourfhou Member Posts: 47
    Hi, I'm a stray from the Highlander board. My HL makes a crunching noise from the front left when I make right hand turns. No one on the Highlander board has had this problem. Because of the similarities between the Rex and the HL, I thought it would be worth coming over here and asking if any of you have had this issue. Thanks in advance for any input.
  • clee4clee4 Member Posts: 103
    The $500 dollars comes from Lexus. When I bought mine in JAN 01, the dealer brought out the coupon and applied the dollars toward the price of the vehicle. Bingo-Bango, I paid $500 less then I had negotiated with the dealer. At that time, you had to own a Lexus currently, and show your registration card.
  • melvinshmelvinsh Member Posts: 19
    I have Yakima hitch bike rack. I only use it when there are more than 2 people ride in the car. Other times, I use my home made bike "board" that fit in the cargo area. I wish I can show you a picture. But I can't find out which website I put that picture. Basically, I made a wood board with front fork mounts. I put my bike rear tire in first, then mount the fork on the fork mount. Well, basically like this truck mount thing, but in your cargo area. http://www.performancebike.com/product_images/400/00_5131.jpg I
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    You may want to have them check the bushings on the front sway bar to see if they're tight. A few Camry owners in Town Hall's Toyota Camry discussion topic have the same problem. If this is indeed the issue, it only requires 10 minutes to fix.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • ken2239ken2239 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone been involved in a rx300 engine compartment fire??

Today my 01 rx300 burst into flames after being on the road for only 10 minutes.

The vehicle is/was only 4 months old with 5000 miles. Had an electrical odor just prior to having flames roll out from under both sides of the engine compartment. The dealer had just replaced the NAV system last monday, which was working intermitently since i took delivery of the vehicle. The vehicle is a total loss, being the weekend, am waiting for a response from Lexus.
    A report has been filed with NHTSA, if you know of any fire problems with Lexus please file a report to this NHTSA in case this is a design or equipment problem.
    If any of you lexus owners have knowledge of any fire problems, please respond here also or to
    k.kendonnathompson@verizon.net
    Thanks, Ken
  • shoperella1shoperella1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm trying to buy a 2001 Lexus RX300 in Southern California....want 2 wheel drive, leather, sunroof, cd; Dealers have been quoting me around 34,500....excluding tax and license; Are there better deals out there????
    ken2239:
    I am posting a message that I read a while ago at carreview.com, you can try to email "Ed" and see if he responds. Hope this helps.

Copied from carreview.com under SUV->RX300 section

"Submitted by Ed from Plainview, NY
    » 1 to 3 years experience with the product 8/30/00 7:56:07 PM
    Model Info: 1999 & 2000
    Strengths: -Handling and fuel economy - considering it's an SUV.
    -Appearance, Comfort, Quiet (see below)
    -Reliability (Except for fire - see below)
    Weaknesses: It Caught on Fire! (see below}
    -Noisy with the moon roof open and/or the windows down.
    -I would prefer the ease of a single CD player instead of the changer.
    -A third seat in the rear would be nice
    Compared To: Audi, Volvo
    Review Summary: We were extreemly pleased with our 1999 RX300 until it caught on fire.

I was driving at night when the vehicle began to loose power. When I noticed a glow coming from under the hood, my 3 passengers and I jumped out of the car. The car burned for over 15 minutes before the fire department arrived and extinguished the flames.

The fire was contained to the engine compartment, which was completely destroyed. I was very impressed that the rest of the car, including the passenger compartment, was untouched.

We were treated well by both my Lexus dealer and insurance company. In exchange for the generous settlement from Allstate, Rallye Lexus provided:
    - A new 2000 RX300
    - An extended warranty
    - A rental car for the 3 weeks It took to get our new vehicle
    - All registration fees and expenses

The fact that the damage was confined to only the engine compartment, was a major factor in our acceptance of another RX300. I would strongly recommend the RX300 - unless the fires become a trend."
  • malhokcmalhokc Member Posts: 83
    Try clearmask.com. Their prices are cheaper than xpel, with same quality.
    Ken-

Sorry to hear about your loss, I hope everyone is ok (that's what really counts). I've done numerous checks and unfortunately the RX300 is a boring vehicle with the most formal problems being manual and sticker updates in terms of TSB's and recalls. Folks can look here for MY2000 and prior.

Being an engineer by training, I'm a firm believer in cause-and-effect and from what you've related so far it sounds like you either got a still-born vehicle (it was bound to fail, and intermittent Nav was a warning sign) or the dealer screwed up while mucking around under the hood.

I'm sure many of us would be curious as to how this plays out, please keep us informed if possible.
  • sgtgloksgtglok Member Posts: 8
    i just wanted to share my experience. a few months back, in february, i started shopping for a lux suv; chose 2 mdx and rx, put deposit on mdx and still waiting, due end of may.

now, when i went to lexus dealership (bay ridge lexus in bkyn,ny), i got a lease deal (without negotiating much) on a 4wd, fully loaded w/out nav, at $495 incl. taxes for 42 mo., $0 down, even sec. deposit was waived.

back then, i test-drove both rx and after, mdx, and acura just WOWed me - hey, extra space is ok, but if THAT is your high priority get the odessey, i felt; i dig the performance of that semi-car-truck!

lately, many mdx owners (acuramdx.org) posted above mentioned problems, and it got me thinking, also my friend just got one - no problems whatsoever, also it has been only 2 weeks; but some damage done to my brain, i went back to the same dealer - got a quote of $518 on 48 mo. plus now it is $620 sec. deposit! i asked to match the numbers for acura truck, at $505, and to no avail.; after comparing the dealer discounts, they inflated the msrp because of silversport edition (who cares!) and the dealer was not moving from under $37.5k - last time i only mentioned edmunds tmv of $36.5k(!)

oh, well, got my reinforcements towards mdx wait.
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    Shoperlla #1621 -

I'm sure there are other "low-price", aggressive Lexus dealers in So. California but after shopping ten of them last December for our 2001 RX FWD, the best deal by far was at Lexus of Riverside with Cory Williams (800/899-5398 or 909/354-4101).

I don't know where you live but Riverside was a half-day trip for us - but well worth the effort. This dealer is an "Elite" Lexus dealer and it showed. Very professional, no BS, the email/fax documented price was the deal we got, even the finance guy was good to deal with...

Counting the $1500 factory rebate on the Premium Plus Package and a $500 loyalty rebate, we bought the FWD Nav RX for 13% off the MSRP of $41K. So we paid $35.7K plus tax, DMV, and a $45 doc fee.

Good luck and say hello to Cory for me - he was great!

Jeff Must
  • sgtgloksgtglok Member Posts: 8
    hey, tony
    i read your post "Bad Lexus Dealer and so-so Acura Dealers" and agree to some extent with it. you mentioned in your post that you can help in getting a good deal. i am looking for 48-mo lease (read my prev. post) on awd slvr/blk, fully loaded (no nav, no tow hitch, no gold). if your contact has a better deal than above mentioned, i will be glad to discuss the details.
    I'm guessing you are from the NY area. If you have your exact configuration down and are ready to buy, I would do a fax blast to at least four dealers in your area. Take the lowest price you get and then see if the other three are willing to counter offer.

I'll email you some contacts.
  • drummerboydrummerboy Member Posts: 30
    I got mine 2001 RX300 with NAV about 2 months ago. The navigation system is awesome, and I definitely recommend it. I did a lot of research before getting the car. The out-the-door price for my RX was $43,000 from Carsdirect.com. I picked up the car at Mission Viejo Lexus (between Los Angeles and San Diego, I live in Los Angeles). I think the easiest way to get a NAV car in the color that you like is through Carsdirect.com because most dealers don't have enough NAV cars to choose from. Not having to bargain with a salesman was a plus too.
  • lexrxlexrx Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, Melvinsh, for the inside-truck option of hauling bikes. However, when bikes are being hauled, so also is the dog - not sure he'd appreciate all his room being taken up with bikes!

Anyhow - anyone have experience with U-Haul as an installer of a hitch? Any other recommendations (other than Melvinsh's) for a particular brand of bike rack? Any suggestions on where else to look for information?
  • malhokcmalhokc Member Posts: 83
    Try thule.com. They may have what you are looking for.
  • mox1mox1 Member Posts: 24
    I am looking for some really quiet tires with minimal road noise for my 2001 RX 300. Does anybody have any experience with different tires? Thanks for your help.
  • bcjacob1bcjacob1 Member Posts: 39
    Can I get the nav. system to show me the latitude + longitude of my current position? I can do this on my Acura.
  • bcjacob1bcjacob1 Member Posts: 39
    I have programmed homelink w/ a geni intellicode...it was very easy.

Let me know if you need help
  • cali30306cali30306 Member Posts: 4
    mox1 Apr 25, 2001 11:40pm

Mox1, it sounds like you had a good experience with your dealer. I am also looking in Ga. Can you tell me which dealer you went with?
  • clee4clee4 Member Posts: 103
    I had a number of discussions about the secrets of the NAV system in this topic board. Go back to #689, #691, #692 and about 10 after those.
  • melvinshmelvinsh Member Posts: 19
    Also try: http://www.gearonthego.com/

Pretty good service when I bought my Yakima hitch rack.
  • mox1mox1 Member Posts: 24
    Cali30306
    I got that deal from Butler Lexus in Macon, GA. Their number is 800-741-0722. Ask for Mitch Harris, he is an outstanding salesman. It was very easy dealing with him. Let me know if you need any more info.
  • outrunoutrun Member Posts: 539
    I'm also having trouble programming my Homelink ('01 RX) with a LiftMaster Security+ garage opener.

The manual that came with the opener says:
    "To add a remote, press and hold the remote button, and then press the "Learn" button on the opener. The garage light will flash when done." This works for the openers that came with the garage.

Then the RX manual says:
    "Press the "Learn" button on the opener, and then press the Homelink button two or three times. You will have 30 seconds to complete this step."

I tried both methods with the RX's Homelink, but neither worked (tried each one about 10 times). The opener has the "rolling code" security, but the Homelink in the RX is supposed to handle that. I went to Homelink's site, but recieved the same instructions as the RX manual.

I also tried pressing the "Learn" button on the opener and holding a Homelink button down for 60 seconds, which is another method that I read about. Didn't work either.

Any ideas about how to get this to work? I hate having the ugly remote opener on the RX's visor.

Could the Homelink learn function on the RX be broken? The little red light does light up when the button is pressed. I also read the the LiftMaster openers are Homelink compatible. It was installed this past fall in a new construction house, so I'm assuming that it's one of their newer models.

Thanks..

-Craig
  • raddboy41raddboy41 Member Posts: 249
    I figured it out. You have to erase the Homelink keys first by depressing the two OUTSIDE buttons together at the same time and holding them until the light blinks fast. THEN you can program using the instructions. I had the same experience as you until I erased the existing homelink keys.
    Wow. Who woulda thought....

Should I be using the garage opener manual (hold Homelink button THEN push Learn) or RX300 manual (Press Learn then Homelink button 2 or 3 times)?

Thanks..

-Craig
  • raddboy41raddboy41 Member Posts: 249
    I used the RX300 manual instructions. I pushed the Genie opener's learn button, then pushed the homelink button 3 times slowly. The third time I pushed, the garage door opened!
    Now, if we can just find out how to get the RX300 doors to lock automatically!! :^)
  • mooretorquemooretorque Member Posts: 241
    raddboy41, dealer can program your locks as part of the CBEST.
  • finch3finch3 Member Posts: 113
    I took off the Good year Integrity tires and put on the Michelin LTX. The LTX is a much better tire with a more aggressive looking tread. I can't say that either is quitter. There are very view SUV tires for your purpose. You should check out the new Michelin tire designed for SUV. I think it's the Cross Terrain or something like that. Go to www.tirerack.com and do all the research you can stand. You have to avoid the expensive and grippy passenger tires. They can be so sticky on corners that the tip over rate is much greater for a higher standing SUV.
  • pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    This has been discussed ad nauseam in the past. Unless something has changed, that option is unfortunately NOT available on the RX Customized Body Electronics System!

Pete
  • pknguyenpknguyen Member Posts: 3
    Hello All,
    I got my '01 RX300 for $36K out-the-door (all fees and taxes are included)with premium package, leather, wood steering, everything except NAV. at JM lexus in Miramar, florida (Ft. Lauderdale area. List was about 41K, minus 15K discount from lexus, final MSRP about 38K, I paid 36K!
    Good luck all.
  • pknguyenpknguyen Member Posts: 3
    JM lexus from coconut, FL (Ft. Lauderdale area), not from Miramar, FL.
  • peterfxpeterfx Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I have a 99 RX300. When either one of the back windows is partially open, and I'm driving over 20 mph, there is a helicopter like sound (due to pulsating air circulation I suppose). I asked the dealer about it, and he said that is 'normal'. The sound is real loud, so that you need to immediately close the window to make it stop. Do others get that sound?
  • shoperellashoperella Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if Lexus is still offering the $1500 rebate for the luxury package on an RX300 that I've read about on this board? Where can I find out more if so?? Thanks for all your help.
  • h2ok9h2ok9 Member Posts: 3
    Hi all--

My apologies if this has been discussed before, but I scrolled back pretty far and didn't see anything, so here goes--

I just purchased a used '99 RX 300, which I really love--(it had only 17K miles on it, so I consider it nearly new!). I've filled up twice now, and waited until the gas gauge is very nearly empty, but each time, it has only taken 14.3 gal. to fill it. Now, according to the specs, the tank is supposedly 17.2 gal. So, do I still, in fact, have almost 3 full gallons left, even with the gauge reading empty? When I fill the tank, the gauge does go up to the top, so I don't think there is a problem on that end. Has anyone else had this experience?

Thanks in advance--
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    Unfortunately, it is normal.
    I pressed the left and right buttons, got the rapid blink, and tried to program them again using the Lexus manual. Pressed the "Learn" button on the opener, pressed the control on the Homelink 2-3 times (slowly). Nothing still.

I'm beginning to think the Homelink in my RX is defective. Can they swap the visor at the dealership somewhat easily?

-Craig