Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• mlevinedcmlevinedc Member Posts: 45
    It's actually not a rebate as much as it is a discount of the various packages that appears directly on the window sticker. There was some talk that the discount would end 4/30 and that only vehicles with the discount appearing on the sticker would be eligible. I ordered mt RX mid March and the price reflected the rebate/discount.
    Whether it is still in effect I do not know.
    My RX is supposed to be delivered 5/7, one can only hope.

Mark
  • outrunoutrun Member Posts: 539
    It's not a rebate. It's a "discount" directly on the MSRP sticker. It should have nothing to do with you negotiating the price, as you should be working off invoice, not sticker. The invoice is the same with or without this package discount.

When we purchased our RX in early April, it had a $1,500 discount for a bunch of options grouped together. But in the end, we worked off invoice price, so it made no difference.

-Craig
  • malhokcmalhokc Member Posts: 83
    Just recieved weather mats from lexuspartsmall. I must they they are a perfect fit. Exact cut of the carpeted mats. Available in Oak or Gray. The front are $38.25 and back $29.75+ $10 S/H ($78 total). These are All-Weather Heavy Duty Rubber Floor Mats with "L" logo on each mat. Received mine in 2 days after ordering. Very satisfied
  • silly1040silly1040 Member Posts: 48
    I think, I might know the problem. I had a few problems programing my rolling code remote. Try using the middle button on the visor for the remote that has the rolling code. Ours has been working great.
  • outrunoutrun Member Posts: 539
    I'll try using the middle button, but I truly don't see why it would matter.

Also, did any of you have the ignition to the "on" position while programming it? The Homelink site mentioned something about some vehicles requiring that, but I didn't see it in the RX manual.

-Craig
  • cassiricassiri Member Posts: 40
    To H2oK9 and Peterfx. I also have a 99rx300 and both of you are experiencing normal traits of the car. It has a small gas tank. Since my wife drives it, I have never attempted to run it seriously low in an attempt to see what the true tank capacity is. I have put 16 gallons in at the most, but normally after driving with the light on it takes 14 or so. I think Lexus is very conservative with the low fuel light.

The chopper sound is also normal and you will hear the same comment from anyone driving an SUV for that matter. Open more than one window (even just a crack will do). No other solution I know of, as it's a big box aerodynamics issue.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    to sooner7:

When I get in the RX in the AM I imediately twist/spin the temp level to max and only turn it down to a normal level after the cabin begins to feel comfortable. Even in this mode the blower will not run (except in defrost mode) until the engine water jacket rises to 130F.

But in truth I do think you have some sort of failure mode in your RX HVAC. It is very likely that the "mixing vane" is hanging up or getting stuck in the low "reheat" position.

Whenever the OAT is above 35F, ALL of the air entering the HVAC system is first dehumidified by first CHILLING it, passing it through the A/C evaporator. SOME of this chilled airflow is then REHEATED by passing it through the heater core.

The percentage of total airflow to be reheated is controlled by a mixing vane which directs a proportional amount of the airflow exiting the chiller through the heater core depending on the desired/computed temperature of the system's final exit airflow.

If the mixing vane cannot swing full tilt, ALL chilled airflow reheated, then the symtoms you relate would probably occur.

In 2005 TRW will introduce a system that measures MRT (Mean Radiant Temperature) and will adjust the system based on true human body environmental effects.

Till then... TURN UP THE HEAT!!!
    Try opening the sunroof of a 911/996 at 150 plus.

This "buffeting" sound has been around even since cars were first "closed" and thus needed windows.

Close the windows or buy ear plugs, your choice.
  • mooretorquemooretorque Member Posts: 241
    Instead of thinking of that low frequency buffeting as annoying, try the mindset of : I'm driving a big Lexus musical instrument with a very low resonant frequency. Yeah, that's the ticket.....I'm driving a Lexus pipeorgan!!!!
  • tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    Has anyone installed one of these on their Rex? If so, did you like it? Was it easy to install? Where did you get it from?

I've got two stone chips in the front and I dont's need anymore. What's even more noticeable is that a black Rex is white underneath the topcoat.

Thanks,
    TC
  • jiffinjiffin Member Posts: 9
    Re: A post yesterday about the RX300 all weather floor mats.
    I purchased a set of Lexus front mats from IronToad.com and I'm very pleased. Nice deep grooves and heavy rubber construction that comes in two colors which match with the interior. Mine are brown and match my RX300 Ivory interior with brown accents. IronToad.com charges $36 for the front set and $28 for the rear set. Highly recommended plus significantly cheaper versus WeatherTech 3rd party mats.
  • gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    How about those clear 3m stick on protectors? I know how you feel about those chips on black paint. I have 2 on each side of the front doors of my ML, and like yours, white is underneath the coat as well. I'm thinking of putting one of those nose/hood mask temporarily when I travel out of town.
    Call me silly, but I'm adverse to "sticking" anything directly on my paint then worrying about having to pull it off somewhere down the road.

You're talking about the 3M film for autos, right? I know there are folks here that have had it done, but it just reminds me of when I was a kid and my mother would leave the plastic on the couch.

Plus, I'd worry about wax around the edges, etc.
    Yep, those 3M clear plastic films. Like you, I'm also concerned about the wax around the edges. I would actually like to see one up close. Plus, I think you need to strip the wax at the area you're putting the film on. That's why I think i'll just stick with the nose mask when I travel. Although I think I will get more chips when I'm driving around DC. :)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Just in Time for Spring: A See-Through Paint-Protecting Car Bra -- Why Didn't I Think of That?

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    "And its warranty states that (if applied by an authorized installer), should your paint become damaged through the StonGard film at any time in the first three years, the damage (up to $1,000) will be repaired free. "

Thanks, but no thanks. It'll cost more than a grand to properly repaint a Lexus or MB. Besides, with a Black car, you have no clearcoat. I can't see putting adhesive directly on my black paint.
  • tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    LOL,

...Clear 8-millimeter-thick urethane StonGard film is peeled from its backing...

EIGHT millimeters??? Hmm, that's 5/16", got to look funny... ...but now I understand the protection factor...

Tarik with a big'o'grin
    My 78 Porsche earned every paint chip on its bonnet and I have earned every grey hair... why hide the facts, experience counts!

Only Boobs, bless'em every one, need bra's.
  • 2001rx2001rx Member Posts: 8
    I have tested all combinations of heat and air conditioning control settings of my 2001RX to see when the compressor runs. If the A/C button is pushed to turn off the compressor (light in the button is OFF), it does not operate in any mode except "Defrost". The ability to control compressor operation is one of the things I like about the RX --the compressor cannot be controlled in many American cars. I usually turn the compressor off because chilled air is often not needed in Santa Barbara where I live, and I want to save the fuel required to run it.

The RX will try to maintain the desired temperature automatically even with the compressor off, but of course it can't reduce the temperature of the incoming air below ambient. It can add heat.
    I agree with you on this one, it's nice being able to control the temp in the spring/fall without having to resort to AC.
  • mdelfinomdelfino Member Posts: 3
    Having trouble deciding whether to buy a used '99 RX300 or new '01 Toyota Highlander. Price is about the same ($31,150) but loaded options somewhat similiar, difference is HL has sunroof and Rx300 has none. What's your unbiased opinion?
  • r22549r22549 Member Posts: 42
    I would go for the highlander because you get the trac control and VSC...The RX AWD only got the VSC in 01..I happen to think in a truck this is a very important thing...Needless to say if I had the bucks I go the 01 RX route...I am kinda in the same bind...
    The Highlander is a good choice if you can get it at a discount, but you didn't state your needs or priorities, so it's imposible for someone else to just say one is better than the other.

One advantage the HL will have over the RX is slightly more cargo space. If you list the things that are important to you then maybe folks can give some more precise advice.
  • pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    I think that thickess should read 8-mil(.008"), NOT 8-millimeter (.315")!

Pete
  • mox1mox1 Member Posts: 24
    Yesterday I took delivery of my 2001 RX 300 from Butler Lexus (Macon). This is the least amount of time I have ever spent at a dealership buying a car. Mitch Harris (sales) had all my info taken before on the phone. All docs & the car was ready. It literally took me 15 minutes to finish everything. They did not try to push me to buy anything else I did not want. Fabulous experience. The car is great. They did a good deal on financing too.
  • melvinshmelvinsh Member Posts: 19
    I think you make a mistake. 01 RX has both Trac and VSC. However, prior 01 RX does not. I have a 99 RX since June 98. Currently I am driving 01 RX rental from the dealer because my 99 RX is at service. Besides the steering wheel, everything pretty much the same (Yes, I can see the VSC and TRAC when I start the engine). H/L and RX are both very good suv, it really depends on what you need. Basically, I choose Lexus because it has almost everything! Perfect fit for my life style.
  • brian121brian121 Member Posts: 8
    A few months ago I was debating between the RX300 and HL. When I drove both, there was no question of the RX300's superior ride and finish quality. Many parts of the HL simply looked cheap. I've owned both Lexus and Toyota products and both are very sound cars.
  • brian121brian121 Member Posts: 8
    Well, I bit the bullet and bought one this weekend. I had intended to wait a while longer but my wife was set on Silver and I learned that they will not be making any more of that color except in the new Sport Edition (which I don't like at all). There were very few in dealer stock in this area so I jumped.

If this car turns out to be as good as my LS400, I will be a very happy owner.
  • pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    TRAC was an available option on the 99 RX 2WD (but not 4WD) and included an off switch.

Pete
  • 46494649 Member Posts: 24
    Tony;

I installed a weathertech hood deflector on my 2000 RX. The car is the light green, but looks tan, and the delfector is smoke colored. It looks fine to me and I feel better having it there.

Dennis
    Thanks for the feedback. Out of curiosity, how does it "mount" to the car? I'm apprehensive about using 3M adhesive tape on any exposed car surfaces because grit can get in there and sometimes become abrasive due to vibrations.
  • legaleagle4legaleagle4 Member Posts: 4
    I recently purchased a 1999 RX 300. Noticed the same "helicopter type" sound when I roll down a rear window. also noticed the same sound in other cars I have owned.
    Do you think it's bcoz these cars are more airtight than others? Same problems in my ML.

Just crack another window open, that should take care of it.
    Hey folks, simple laws of physics.
    You have a "big box" (the back of your SUV, station wagon, etc.). Air is moving in rapidly through one opening. Where is all that air suppose to go? It goes out through the same opening it came in. That helicopter sound you hear is the "beat frequency" (the resultant difference between two different frequencies) from the two air streams hitting each other. When you crack another window, the air pressue from inside the cabin has somewhere else to go.

Hope this helps.
    Has nobody out there ever carved a toy whistle out of a willow branch or a piece of cane? Then how about simply blowing air, breath, over the opening of a bottle?

Think of your car as a really BIG bottle, with 60 MPH airflow parallel to a window, sunroof, etc, the larger the "CAVITY" the lower the frequency of the "whistle", RUMBLE!

The proper term for the effect is a "standing wave", the air "pressure wave" enters the cabin, arrives at the furtherest "distance(s)" from the opening, and then becuase this "pressure wave" cannot be dissapated within the cabin it is reflected backward toward the opening. The time for the round trip at the speed of sound determines the frequency.

Oh, opening a second window might result in an even louder sound but likely of a different frequency. In my old Ford station wagons I could open the rear window and solve the problem.

The answer? I guess you either slow down, close the window, or open enough windows that no "pressure wave" can be created.
  • harryrogers1harryrogers1 Member Posts: 40
    With air con in the RX why do you have a window open.

Harry
    So that one can wave at all the non-RX owners?
    WWEST was answering someone's question about "helicopter rumble" in an RX (any car..) with a window down.

But to answer your question...

Some of us don't like to be isolated from the world... the smell of newly mown hay, etc.

Some of us try to conserve fuel by not using the A/C.

Some of us really don't like "stagnant" air.

Some of us find cool and dry airflow a bit uncomfortable.

For myself I almost always open the sunroof in the tilt-up position in order to get more fresh airflow through the vehicle even with the A/C on, but then I live in Seattle, not Arizona.

In case you haven't noticed the airlines, with our government's encouragement, are now trying to conserve fuel by reducing the amount of outflow air from the cabin. Feeling a bit stuffy in there?

Now that most luxury brands are needlessly running the A/C constantly I have to wonder if they are restricting the amount of air outflow for the very same reason.

I do notice that NONE of the Lexus models seem to have a reasonable level of outflow/incoming fresh air.
    Does anyone know of a source for a coil spring set to lower the 2001 RX about two inches?

Just upgrading to 17x8 wheels with 30mm spacers/adapters all around (required on the rear for clearance) and would like to add more stability by also lowering it a bit.
  • jmalik1jmalik1 Member Posts: 21
    I was at a Lexus dealership this weekend and wanted a demo of the the RX300 Navigation system (since I plan to get this option). There weren't any RX300s with nav around, so they pulled up an a 470 and said that the nav is identical to that in RX300. I just wanted a demo so I didn't care. I liked the user interface but when I asked the guy to input my home address the system didn't find it. We moved into our new house in December but the neighborhood is not new. Some houses have been here for over three years. I was quite disappointed, since I was under the impression that Lexus nav was "more complete" and up to date. The fact that it cant even find my house in a major metropolitain area like Dallas/Fort Worth is not all that thrilling.

Does any one know if the nav in RX300 is any different the one in 470 ?
  • lexus430lexus430 Member Posts: 1
    I am not certain if the database in the RX 300 differs from the LX 470. However, I am positive that the actual systems are different. I find it difficult to understand why it didnt locate your address in a large city
  • clee4clee4 Member Posts: 103
    The data base for all of the lexus vehicles comes from a company called NAVTECH. The data base in my 01 is a version with a 2000 year date. In my area, the data is real good, but there is a lag time between updates from the company. I have noticed some errors in recent (1 year) road changes that are not on this map. Once you get your car, you can set your home location into it by location and not address.
    P.S. The LS430 and the RX300 are not the same. Very close, but not.
  • gdanczykgdanczyk Member Posts: 26
    wwest- The amount of drag that you create by opening up a window consumes more fuel than what you would use with the A/C on. The compressor is pretty efficient.

My physics professor did the calculations when I was in college. What a geek.

Unless you manually select recirculate, you should be getting all fresh air in the vehicle from the vents.
  • mlevinedcmlevinedc Member Posts: 45
    The 2001 RX I ordered in March was supposed to be delivered to me today. The salesman called me at 3pm and said the RX came through with the stock wheels and that they would have to delay delivery until the chrome Lexus wheels were overnighted by Fedex to be installed tomorrow. Are the chrome wheels a dealer installed item? He told me that the chrome wheels were being held in parts but were mistakenly sold prior to my delivery. Can anyone tell me exactly what to look for to detirmine if I am getting the Lexus Chrome and not something the dealer sent out for or had chromed? I still don't trust dealers to do the right thing and this last minute nonsense doesn't help.

Mark
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    I had a Lexus dealer across the continent from you tell me the chrome wheels are dealer add-ons, not factory. They do provide them from Lexus, not an outside source. His story sounds plausible.
    Sorry, I just can't imagine the sunroof tilted up at about a 10 degree angle changing the CD enough to affect the gas mileage that much. How many HP does it take to cruise along at 65MPH, 25? How many BTU's, watts, HP does the A/C use?

Almost all luxury cars severely limit the amount of fresh air "allowed" into the car. I notice MB has finally wised up and is using a humidity sensor to determine how much fresh air to let in.

If the outside air temperature is below my summertime comfort setpoint, 72F, then the A/C compressor is TOTALLY inefficient. Unless you are overly senstive to humidity levels. That is all that the A/C compressor can or will do in this circumstance, cool the air to dehumidfy it, and then the system will reheat the air to your comfort level.
  • auburn96auburn96 Member Posts: 43
    Considering a 2001 RX300 but does anyone know if the body style will change for the 2002 model? Should I buy a Toyota Highlander instead and save the 3-5K?
  • ronfarronfar Member Posts: 11
    Kind of the same question as 1700. If I can get a pretty stocked Highlander for ~$30000 or so, what would be the magics that would make me go for the RX300? Lexus name isn't enough. The Nav unit is close....is there anything I am missing that others looked at, and made them decide to go for the RX300? I know the HL is new this year and modeled from the RX300 so the last couple of years, it wasn't an option, but it is this year, so anyone having bought this year, I am listening :)
  • 46494649 Member Posts: 24
    The hood deflector is stuck on with double face tape in about 4 spots. Mine has been on a year now with no problems. I had a stone hit my Windshield the first week I had the car and before the deflector was on. Have not had any since.

Dennis
  • jmalik1jmalik1 Member Posts: 21
    lexus430:
    I too, find it hard to believe that the system couldn't find my address. I have tried to look up my address using yahoo maps and mapquest etc and see no problems there :-(

clee4:
    I am thinking I should actually try it with an RX300 nav instead of an LX470 and see if it makes any difference. I do agree with you however that the database in different models is more than likely the same.