Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    Of course, in some ways you are right (which isn't hard for me to say since my 3 year old is named Michael). I'll hold my tongue.
  • raddboy41raddboy41 Member Posts: 249
    Oh, but my 18 month old is SOOO much happier in the center position so he can see out the front!
    Goto www.carsdirect.com, plug in you zip code, and configure the car you want. This will give you an idea of what vehicles are going for in your area. The information shown won't be an absolute, but'll be a good starting point for your price research.
  • raddboy41raddboy41 Member Posts: 249
    Depends on what part of the country you are looking. I picked up my 2001 RX FWD with Value Pkg Plus for $34,000 last week here in NC. Edmunds had it at $38,000+. Yes, Edmunds is pretty darn accurate and Lexus is dealing on RXs right now.
  • apollo8apollo8 Member Posts: 9
    I have been reading your posts here about the RX 300 and doing research about this and others. MDX, QX4, I am quite sure that I will be purchasing the RX300. Unfortunately, the HID lights are not available in Canada. Does anyone know if this is an option that a US dealer can install or is it a factory option that for some reason Toyota/Lexus Canada does not offer..Thanks!!!
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    my 2000 Rx could not be upgraded to HID for less than about $4,000 according to the dealer. Apparently the WHOLE headlight assembly must be changed out.

Why not buy in the US and "export"?

RX300 pricing... Go to autotrader.com and search for USED (you'll still see new) throughout the county. I think I have seen 2001 FWD RX300's there for as little a $30,000 with 45 miles OD.
  • rparis2rparis2 Member Posts: 46
    Six months ago, dealers were not varying too much on lthe price of the RX, but the price is driven by supply and demand. They are dealing much more now. My personal opinio is $1500, more or less, over dealer cost is reasonable.
    It is a great vehicle.
  • mox1mox1 Member Posts: 24
    Just last week I bought the exact vehicle you are describing from Macon, GA for $ 34200. Edmunds is very correct. I have an earlier post with all the details of the dealer. Let me know if you need any more info. Good luck.
  • rmorin2rmorin2 Member Posts: 110
    I traded a '93 JGC Ltd. for a '99 model fully loaded, stickered at $38K. The vehicle was in and out of the dealer's service department a total of 14 times in the first 6 months. Lost the use for about 32 days total. Never was able to get the tranny or rear end problems fixed. Went to arbitration with DC and of course, lost. They wanted to continue to try to fix it. To make a long story short, we traded it for a '00 RX and could not be happier despite the bath I took on the trade. IMHO, the JGC could be a fantastic vehicle, but it is not reliable and the build quality sucks, but worst of all the dealers and DC just don't give a damn. If you don't need real off road capability, buy the RX!
  • mlevinedcmlevinedc Member Posts: 45
    I just took delivery of an RX AWD NAV Chrome Wheels and every available option except for the gold pkg and Nakamichi for 39877.80 (750 over invoice). 1500.00 over is way too much this time of year!

Mark
    New Hartford CT
  • dr_suvdr_suv Member Posts: 12
    Thanks to wwest and malhokc and tonychlr for the ifno on the tires. I had been looking in tirerack and settled on the

AT Italia Riva with Michelin Cross Terrains.

http://www.tirerack.com/upgrade_garage/WheelSearch.jsp?autoMake=Lexus&autoModel=RX300&autoYear=2000#

This discussion group is awsome. While the Mercedes group is complaing about how many "rattles" and problems their MLs have and the MDX group is talking about how much over sticker, forced options and months to wait before delivery we are praising our RXs and looking for ways to make em look sharper.

I am kind of torn between upgrading my 2000 RX or

Trading in for 2001. I would like the HID, VSC, Wood Steering and integrated thethers and Monotome of Silver Sport. I don't care to much for the rear lights or Black interior. So do I upgrade my 2000 or Trade-in. Anybodyknow the Trade-in value for 2000 w\ 6K ? What about the taxes will I have to pay on the 37K of the 2001 or just the difference ?

Very sharp, but I'm assuming with the 17 x 8 combo you'll need spacers?

Funny, the AT Italia 5 Razze look just like the stock Rex wheels?
    My wheels and tires are to be installed today 17x8 RH(?) wheels, look much like the ati SPA with 30mm spacers and same tires.

By all means trade up to the 2001 RX, I did, but try to avoid the Nav system. Now only is it flawed in a way that makes you not trust it, but the human engineering of the method for displaying the other functions, Radio, HVAC, etc, just SUCKs, big time.

Before you buy one with the Nav rent or borrow one, an RX with Nav, for a day or so.

Had I not already painted the bottom of mine to match the top I would probably to trying to figure out some way to trade it out for a non-Nav one.
  • outrunoutrun Member Posts: 539
    I love the Nav. The non-Nav, IMO, have a really, REALLY silly looking LCD screen, with some rather large and ugly looking buttons on a ledge at the bottom.

When my wife and I went to test drive one, the dealership only had a non-Nav demo. We drove it at night, and boy, the screen just looks plain dumb (again, IMO). They could have designed something that looks much more elegant.

The Nav screen, even when off, looks much more in place in a vechile of this caliber. And the navigation itself, for me, works most of the time. It got me from my house in Ashland, MA to the Bay Tower Room (State street in Boston), even through all the "Big Dig" construction going on. Not too shabby.

The resolution of the Nav screen (and colors) make the other functions much more pleasant to look at as well.

As for usability. Within a few days of driving the car, I've mastered all the functions so that I can use it "safely" while driving.

I would never buy an RX300 without the Nav option.

-Craig
    I have had no problem with the Nav inside a major city, it even knows that I can't turn left southbound on 164th and 85th here in Redmond (WA). All of my problems have been with out-lying areas or downtown in minor cites (Bellingham)wherein the system computed a route and then in mid-trip "discovered" that it had no road continuity between the two points.

But my MAJOR complaint (I can certainly do without the Nav, if I know in advance not to rely on it) is the extremely poor human engineering of the other uses of the Nav display.

The use of "soft" colors between background and text/icons degrades the contrast severely, and the actual size of the text and icons is needlessly too small. They never use more than about 1/5 of the screen for displaying these other functions, why not use up more of the otherwise blank screen.

And when I'm not using the Nav (never do) why can't the entire information display, as in the non-Nav LCD, be continously displayed. Why do I have to "hit" a radio, HVAC, info button in order to see the current status of these functions?

Look, "glance" at the clock display at night to get an idea of text and icon size as it should/might be (the LCD screen is actually smaller and has less resolution than the Nav screen) and that the outstanding contrast of the clock display allows you to glance and read it with lingering to decipher it.

Now have a quick look at the OAT indication in the same manner....

Oh, I forgot, you MUST adjust one of the HVAC functions in order to bring up that display... distracting isn't it? Why?

Could you read the OAT indication as quickly and as easily as the clock?

We don't need elegant, we need functional!
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    Being the Man of the House, I didn't need any dumb ol' electronic gee-haw in our new RX to tell ME where and when to get off the freeways....

But my wife will never drive a vehicle again without it. Here's why:

1. She doesn't have to call her husband and ask a dumb question (usually of the "Which way is home from where I am now?" variety).

2. Her husband doesn't have to miss the Laker game to figure out an answer

3. Her job takes her into unfamiliar areas of So. California. The Nav has reduced her fears about doing this on her own.

I have no doubt that in certain cases, the RX Nav (or any other brand) won't do the job. In fact, the Lexus RX system seems to like one north-south freeway out where we live more than another -- to the point where it insists that we make a "legal U-turn" to find the one it favors....for about 2-3 miles, then it gives up and re-routes us correctly. Weird.

But, on a lease, the actual expense after the residual is about $33/month. And if I deduct the cellphone calls I previously received, asking for directions, I'm probably ahead of the game.
  • apollo8apollo8 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the info on the HID wwest. Anyone know if there are any major changes coming for 2002. SHould I buy a 2001 or wait for new model year. 2001 have some decent deals being offered!!
    If you tell it to minimize freeway use it does so in the extreme, boy!

Discovered a few new back-country roads that way, some running exactly parallel to a freeway.

I can't imagine and body or structual changes in the RX for the next few years, maybe 17' wheels and wider tires.

"Software" changes are another story, they need'em.

I think the widespread availibility of good RX deals is the result of the highlander availibility. If you don't want HID and/or Nav then you should look sriously at the HL.
  • finch3finch3 Member Posts: 113
    With or without HID or NV or those little things, the RX is a great car. Wonderful suspension and road holding. Great audio and seating arrangements. Terrific mileage. Excellent cargo space. It's a great vehicle! Put in a compass and a shorter turning radius and it would be perfect. I hope I don't have to take NV and HID when I trade my 2000. I don't need more stuff!
  • hwj39hwj39 Member Posts: 7
    Have about decided on the RX. However, I despise dealing for best price. Does anyone have experience with Houston dealers which were pleasant and straight forward? I'm going after fwd, no nav, but otherwise loaded. Would appreciate any information. I would not mind going as far as Dallas or Austin for the right kind of dealer.
    I got one word for you: Priceline. You won't regret it. But you'll need to do your homework first on what a competitive price in your area is.

Many of us here who bought a Rex first got some preliminary quotes from local dealers, then went to Priceline and set a price even lower, yet still allowed for dealer profit. If a participating PL dealer has the car you want in stock, they usually accept all reasonable offers.
    I have a friend who the other day said he had decided on buying a 2001 RX. I armed him, printed, two "used" (45 miles & 3k miles) 2001 AWD RX "quotes" from autotrader.com and two Toyota HL quotes and sent him off to the local dealer who I know will usually underbid the others.

He was a happy man today driving his new RX.
  • nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    THe hl is putting big pressure on the rx300 IMO, if you can do without the nav, the hl is slightly bigger, uses the same drivetrain. this tells me lexus will probably change the rx soon. it needs to be a bit bigger so that it can get 3rd row seats. any info, or is this talk, sacralige (?sp)
    Tell why other than lexus quality service i should buy a rx over a HL (i don't need nav, or can add it)
    No one can tell you what to get, you have to determine your own priorities or needs. The advantages of the RX over the HL:

RX more luxury (comfort and quiet) ride over the HL. You have to drive both back-to-back to feel the difference. You also have to make sure that each dealer has properly inflated the tires before the test drive.

Luxury features not available on the HL:
    Passenger side power seats.
    Driver seat memory.
    Auto down/up all windows.
    Remote open all windows and sunroof.
    Second row fold down arm rest.
    Navigation system.
    LCD vehicle information system (maintenance, etc.).
    Better grade of materials all around, real wood, etc.

Safety features not available on HL:
    High Intensity Discharge Lamps.
    Pinch protection on all windows and sunroof.
    Proven safety testing (though the HL should hopefully do well once tested).

Vehicle performance:
    RX has higher towing capacity standard.
    RX has almost 1/2 foot more ground clearance.
    RX has protective skid plates (has already saved my [non-permissible content removed] when running over road "debris" at high speeds).

Intangibles:
    RX has better warranty.
    Lexus Customer service is #1 in the business.
    Free Lexus loaner vehicles, even for an oil change, or they'll pick up and drop off the car.
    Good resale value.

If none of these things mean anything to you, then the HL is a better value in your situation. Also be aware that most features (including all safety systems) are standard on the RX, to fully load up a HL will bring it close to a RX price since Lexus dealers are discounting now.

Good luck with whatever you decide, both are fine vehicles.
  • bobfloydbobfloyd Member Posts: 32
    While some dealers provide Lexus loaners, when I last took my RX in for service at my Austin, TX dealer (the only one in town) I got a Chevy Cavalier rental at no charge. I was told at the car rental desk inside the dealership that Lexus of Austin does not provide any loaner Lexus vehicles. This surprised me.
  • finch3finch3 Member Posts: 113
    Amazing, but then it's Texas, the great state that executes everyone in sight. What can you expect. If I got a Cavalier as a loner, I'd move, get out of town, do something!!!
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    "RX has almost 1/2 foot more ground clearance.
    RX has protective skid plates (has already saved my [non-permissible content removed] when running over road "debris" at high speeds)."

The RX300 has 15 centimeters more ground clearance than the Highlander? That would make it more than a Hummer, I think ;-)

The 2nd point is new to me...I'm curious, where are these skid plates? I didn't notice any the last time I looked underneath an RX300. Are they new for '01?

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    I moved the DVD transport door button to "open", didn't remove the DVD. Turned the display OFF, and changed the automatic transition from audio to map OFF.

The system no longer comes up and asks that STUPID question, and now the default mode is screen completely OFF except temporarily for the non-nav functions.

I'll return it to "close" only if I happen to really need the NAV and am willing to go through the tedious process of varifying its routing validity.

Or until Lexus issues system software that more completely debugged and actually works.
    Ground clearance: Doh! I slipped a decimal point (sort of), it was early in the morning, I should have said 1/2 inch more, which is not a big deal. The problem was I was converting from decimal inches to regular inches. Why can't we just have metric down here like everyone else?

Skid plates: I didn't believe it either at first, and thought I'd have to go out and buy an A-bar with a skid plate option (like the gawdy looking Jaos, which I don't like. I think I would like it if they just took their name off of it.), but sure enough, there be a skid plate in the front of my RX. On the NY/NJ highways where I drive, there is frequent road debris, the most common being 18-wheeler tire remants. These large chunks of tire remains can rip apart an underside if they catch at the right angle.

Thanks for catching my math faux pas.
  • 90mercsable90mercsable Member Posts: 48
    I'm down to my last 2 or 3 decisions before signing for the 2001 RX.

1) Any good/bad experiences with White Gold Crystal or Burnished Gold Metallic?

2) Dealer has cars with Bridgestone or GoodYear tires?

3) Would leasing be too costly overall (10 or 12k lease) if I only drive 3-4K per year? If I like the car, I probably would purchase it at end of lease.
  • zeenzeen Member Posts: 401
    I'm considering leasing a '99 RX (can't afford a new one). What is the manuf. warranty? I am leasing from a leasing company, not a dealer so I am not buying certified.
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    I logged on to carsdirect.com, and checked pricing on a Toyota Highlander using a 33431 zip code (Boca Raton, FL). For regional options, they offer four Michelins at $425. Does anyone know what style Michelins these are? It would be interesting to know what Toyota recommends.
  • clee4clee4 Member Posts: 103
    #1. Colors - You see those colors all the time. The most complaints that I have seen, have been with black. I have blue vapor, and nothing but great.
    #2 Stay away from Goodyear tires. Most who have them and post here, do not like them at all. I have Bridgestone, and I like them. Most people who change, go for the Mich's.
    #3 I cannot comment on the lease. I tend to keep a vehicle for years and years. Although, I would think that purchase would be the way to go.
  • bobfloydbobfloyd Member Posts: 32
    finch3....I don't know if other dealers in Texas use Cavaliers, but for our edification please explain the relationship between executions as capital punishment and Cavalier loaners -- sounds like it might be an interesting piece of research you did or you rely on for that conclusion. What were you mad at yesterday to cause such a caustic response to my posting?
    Hope things are better today! Happy Mothers Day
  • rparis2rparis2 Member Posts: 46
    My 2001 RX has been driven about 3000 miles. About 40% of the driving has been highway with 60% being city. I had anticipated averaging, with this kind of driving, about 19-20mpg. Yet, so far I am averaging about 18.5mpg. Based on owners with more miles, how many mpg are other drivers averaging. I use regular unleaded gas.
  • clee4clee4 Member Posts: 103
    I have just over 3K miles, and I have an average of 20.5 MPG. It was slightly higher (21.5) until my wife started driving it more then before. Our driving conditions are about 50/50.
  • h2ok9h2ok9 Member Posts: 3
    Have you thought about leasing one of the pre-certified from a dealer? That way you still get a great warranty (3 yr/100,000 mi). I decided to purchase my used '99 but did have the option to lease it from the dealer. I was really happy with the warranty, and found one with only 17K miles on it. Plus the dealer replaced lots of little cosmetic things on the car for free. I am really happy with my car, and feel like I received a great deal, since I paid well under 30K for it, and it is fully loaded. I believe the factory warranty is 4 yrs/50K mi., with additional years/mi for the powertrain, etc.

Anyway, good luck whichever way you go--you'll love the Rex!
  • mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    #1784-The only problem with white paint is it's more costly to repair, all Lexus whites for that matter, extra paint process involved.

As far as leasing see what's the lowest milage allowed(That suits your needs) I've seen 10k/yr. See if there's a lower milage option. One advantage could be that at some time during your lease the car could be worth more than the buy-out thus trading it in before the lease expires could net you some $$$. Believe it or not it does happen.

You'd probably be better off to buy avoiding the lease/rental fees/end of lease fees/acquisition fee/security deposit/you get the point. Than sell or trade in the car later.

#1785- Lexus dealers will lease through various companys, not just LCF. Used leases, from personal experience never make economical sense. What is the purchase price of the RX your looking at? What are the lease terms, monthy payment,total $$$ out of pocket, miles per year, etc?

If you decide to go the route your looking at now. Check with a Lexus dealer and see if they will certify the car for you, even though your not buying it from them, the Lexus certification is just an extended warranty.
  • zeenzeen Member Posts: 401
    Thanks MVS and H2OK9
    The deal is that a customer of this leasing company is trying to find someone to take over the lease on a '99 with 31K miles and 31 payments of $522 left. That includes the whopping PA 9% tax. I think I would be better off buying or doing the lease directly with a dealer.
  • pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    The Lexus new vehicle limited warranty (taken from the sticker on my 99RX):
    4yr/50000 mile basic coverage
    6yr/70000 mile powertrain coverage
    6yr/unlimited mile corrosion perforation warranty
    1yr/12500 mile service adjustment protection
    a used purchase on the open market would entitle the buyer to any unexpired coverage remaining, clock starts on date of delivery to original owner

Pete
  • auburn96auburn96 Member Posts: 43
    I am "" this close to purchasing a 2001 RX with premium plus, HID, heated seats and wood steering wheel. I don't need the Nav in my small town. Is there anything I am going to be sorry I did not buy?

Also when do the 2002 models arrive. Should I wait? Can I expect a better than average deal? Is the factory already shut down and retooling for 2002?

Also I notice in the brochure a picture of the screen in the RX when a CD is in showing the track and time ect of that CD. Is this in the non Nav model as well?
  • rxcanuckrxcanuck Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a used 1999 RX300 about 3 months ago and am very happy with it so far. I have an aluminum fishing boat that I need to tow with the RX. It weighs about 2000 lbs with the motor and gear.

Anyone out there able to give me some tips, tricks, issues with trailering with the RX?

thanks in advance.
  • harryrogers1harryrogers1 Member Posts: 40
    I tow a trailer that has an all up weight of 3,600lbs.( http://www.btinternet.com/~harryrogers/300front1.jpg ) My Rx is the 2001 European spec which has I think a slightly stiffer suspension than the US models. However, no problems towing at all. Max speed for towing here is 60mph and the RX feels to have a lot of reserve available. So I would think that you shouldn't have any serious trouble with 2000lbs. I have the Lexus detachable tow hitch (no other options over here) which is very neat but expensive. Cost around 1200 US dollars.
    I am leaning more and more towards trading it in for the 2001 since I only have 6K and 2001's seem to be more value for money. Even though I Love my 2000 RX and have no problems.

Anyone know the tax situation regarding trading in ? Will I have to pay the full 6%(NJ) tax on the full price (36G or 37G) ? Anyway to pay just on the diff in price ?

I am not going to dish out another $2100 in taxes for the 2001. If that is the case then I getting some PIAA bulbs, 17in Michelins and staying with my 2000
    This question has been asked many a times on the "Smart Shopper" board, wish I could supply you with a specific message#, but alas, the crappy search function on this software.
    Thanks for the response Tonychrys. I searched through the board and found a couple of entries in "SMART SHOPPER" but they did only had a couple of posts and were inconclusive. Apparently it varies from state to state. I am in NJ. I am around the corner from 8 different dealers on route 9. I will drop by and ask a few of them (Hopefully, I get the same answer, the one I am looking for) about the Tax. before going to nexus.
    Save yourself the trouble and simply email them. Are you familar with Ray Catena Lexus in Monmouth? They are pretty responsive via email. Good luck and let us know your results.
    Washington state allows "credit" against "use" tax for the traded in vehicle but the dealers know this and adjust their trade-in offer accordingly.

You can sometimes do better working a deal in a nearby state that doesn't have sales tax but still "register" the deal in your home state.

I often wonder how much money could be made by locating people moving from a sales tax state to a non-sales tax state and doing a "virtual" trade to keep the "residual" value of the previously paid sales tax.
  • nycmaggie1nycmaggie1 Member Posts: 2
    Well, I finally picked up my RX300 (blue vapor) on Saturday morning and am over the moon with happiness. One option that I nearly didn't get was the extra, dealer installed wood trim. Since it wasn't mentioned on lexus.com nor mentioned in the brochure, I didn't know about it. Well, I went for it and am absolutely thrilled with the decision. All the extra walnut trim against the black leather is absolutely beautiful. Just wanted to point this out to anyone trying to pin down all the options.
    Maggie, where might this "extra trim" be located? And you're right, it's not an official Lexus option, just something the dealer put on (aftermarket) for additional profit, but I'm glad you like the results. Which dealer in NY?

One such example of these aftermarket kits can be found here: http://customautotrim.com/wood-dash-kits/dash_sp1302.htm