Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• Options
    jmalik1jmalik1 Member Posts: 21
    I have 1200 miles on my RX now and I am enjoying it a lot. So far the vehicle is exceedning my expectations in almost all respects. The only thing that absolutely dislike are the cup holders. I am not the kind of person who would usually complain about things like cup holders or other ergonomics of a vehicle. But the cup holders in RX are a "joke". I had a medium sized beverage placed in one of these things and even with a medium speed U-turn it turned over and spilled. Luckily I did not get any stains on the floor. But honestly, this was a huge disappointment. I usually dont drink any beverages in the car but occasionally I'd get some stuff from a carry-out, which I dont think I'll ever feel comfortable doing.

Lexus should improve this or be ready for a law suit like the one where the lady sued McDonalds for serving/spilling hot coffee over her.

I am surprized how such a poor design made it into an otherwise fantastic vehicle.
  • Options
    clee4clee4 Member Posts: 103
    It must be nice that all you can complain about is a cup holder. You should visit other forums and see what they complain about.
    Which cup holders? The ones down inside the center console are much better that the ones mounted on top, which are for the rear seat folks anyway. The inside cup holders can be moved from the bottom tray to the upper tray, and from side to side.
  • Options
    grumbgrumb Member Posts: 21
    OK I've read a lot of the posts here re upgrade tires for new RX's. I have 30K on my 2000RX and the dealer said he has not seen the GY's last any longer than 35-37.5K. So I have a clean slate and can get any tires I want from anywhere I want, what do you folks suggest. Am I limited to just the Bridgestones and Michelin models discussed here or are there other alternatives. What are some good sites to price??
  • Options
    mikey00mikey00 Member Posts: 462
    Is anyone using a bike rack on the back of their Rx? Hitch or straps and clips on rear hatch? Pros and cons? I went back through the old posts and there wasn't much useful info. Just answers like "go to Thule.com and see what they have".
    I currently have a Thule that attached with straps and clips to my last car. It worked very well but did wear a little paint off the bumper where the straps rubbed to attach to metal underneath.
    I hate to go the expense of the hitch but will if I have to. I also wonder if the hitch lowers value at trade in time because it looks like the car was used for towing.
  • Options
    gpvsgpvs Member Posts: 214
    Why don't you use the roof mounted bike racks? The RX is not that tall so having one won't be much of a problem. Just remember you have bike mounted on those racks before going in to your garage. I've used those rear hatch racks and they kind of leave some marks on the paint.
  • Options
    I am on my second RX with the Bridgestone tires and have been very pleased with both. I have also read every post here for about the last year and have come to the conclusion that most people are happy with Bridgestones. Some people are happy with Goodyears but there seem to be a lot of problems mostly with pulling to one side. Some people also have reported that they are a cheap tire. Everyone that gets Michelin CrossTerrains claims an improvement over the previous two. When my current tires wear out CrossTerrains are my choice. I will probabally get them at Costco or Sears. They are on sale for Fathers Day right now at Sears. TireRack.com is another option.
    All the above is just my opinion. Others may differ.
    I would be real interested in hearing from anyone who puts CrossTerrains on the SilverSport with the EuroTuned suspension to see if the results are the same.
  • Options
    outrunoutrun Member Posts: 539
    I had the tow hitch installed on our '01 RX just for the fact that I needed a bike rack and did NOT want a roof mounted one. I just can image the day that I forget that the bike is up there and try to drive into our garage...

I got a Yakima Rock N' Gate (http://www.yakima.com). This is a kick-[non-permissible content removed] hitch-mounted rack that holds 4 bikes and can "swing" out of the way if you need to open the hatch while bikes are mounted to it. Extremely stable, heavy duty, etc.

I got the 2000 model of this rack for $299 from Rack Warehouse (http://www.rackwarehosue.com) on clearance about 2 months ago. I believe that they're sold out of the 2000's and have just this year's model ($449 last time I checked). There are a few new features on the newer model (quick release lever, different locking method, bump guards, etc.). They weren't worth the $150 premium for my needs.

I highly recommend this rack if you're going to use it a lot. I feel it's the best one out there.

-Craig
  • Options
    jmalik1jmalik1 Member Posts: 21
    clee4:

It is indeed nice to be complaining just about cup holders. Lexus sets standards so high that any hint of mediocrity becomes unacceptable. I think the cup holder in the middle of the rear seat is the best designed of all five in the vehicle. The spill that I had was off the one inside the center console. I did not know that they can be moved from the bottom tray to the upper tray. I'd try that.

I think Lexus should try to resolve this glitch ASAP. In a panic braking situation I feel any cups in these holders would go flying off.

On a separate note, we had a big thunderstorm yesterday night in Dallas/Fort Worth and this was the first time I was able to appreciate the water repellant front side windows and mirrors. It was like magic. I am so glad I bought RX. This feature is no gizmo, it makes a world of difference.
  • Options
    olivia8olivia8 Member Posts: 1
    Help!

I am interested in purchasing a 2001 RX300 4WD with the Premium Package Plus in the Cincinnati, Ohio area. It's MSRP is $41,360 with a $1500 incentive which brings it to $39,860.

I have found only one dealer within 100 miles who participates in interned bids - he quoted $37184. I took that and other info into my local dealer - he said no way. I said its that or I leave - he said leave - I did. Tried the other local dealer - best I got was $37,800. I said I'm leaving - he let me go.

Here's the info I need: how the beck are all you people getting offers in the $35,000 range? Where can I go to get $2000 less than the best offer I got?

And what is this $500 nexus coupon I have r3ead about in several messages?

Please hurry back with advice... love the car but I may have to buy a domestic if I can't get a better deal!
  • Options
    jmikerjmiker Member Posts: 21
    I have also been shopping for an RX and am about 3 hours SE of Cincinnati (down in East Ky). I used the Lexus website, went to each dealer in Ohio, Ky & Tenn and sent them quote requests on the one I wanted. At the time (probably a month ago) the best offer I got was for $750 over invoice. This was from Sam Swope in Louisville. The Columbus dealer quoted $2000 over invoice. But, I did learn that there were deals to be found in this area.

If you are seriously interested in buying, I would recmonned sending internet quotes to any dealer you would be willing to drive to, telling them you are ready to purchase now and will purchase from the lowest bidder. I am sure you should see some offers below the $37,000 mark for your particular config.

Also, I feel it is important to know the invoice price of the config you want and try to get the dealer to work up from it, rather than down from MSRP.

Just my thoughts.
  • Options
    The $500 Lexus coupons is for current Lexux owners.
  • Options
    avguy1avguy1 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know how to access each car manufacturer's number of days of inventory? This information is useful because it can be an indicator of how flexible dealers are in pricing, and also may suggest a rebate may be forthcoming at the end of the model year if the inventory build-up is high. Thanks
  • Options
    mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    I agree that the prices are high in the greater Cincinnati area. Carsdirect.com has the RX300 at $400 over invoice in the Boca Raton, FL area. One strategy might be to print the Cars Direct quote, and ask your Cincinnati or Dayton dealer to match it. I read where Cars Direct might not deal with people too far outside of the area where you get the quote. Instead, I would get a quote from the Lexus dealer in Boca Raton. Per Yahoo maps, it is 1,100 miles from the Cincinnati airport to Boca Raton, and the driving time is 20 hours. You may want to consider flying down for a Florida vacation, and returning in a new Lexus!
  • Options
    silly1040silly1040 Member Posts: 48
    If you can find a great price, but it's located no where near you, try this.

I live in Las Vegas and found the best price in Southern California. I used a transport company to pick up the RX and delivery to my front door. The Fleet salesman (That I never meet in person) recommended Falcon Auto Transport because they use them all the time and could get me a good rate of $200.00 even.

My local Lexus dealer said that they couldn't match the price of the RX I found in Southern California, but wanted us to remember them for service work. If you think that your local dealership will give you any hassle about not buying the car from them when it comes to service work. I would tell them that I just moved.

If the price is low enough, ask your salesman who they use for transport and find out the price.
  • Options
    widmerwidmer Member Posts: 4
    I'm ready to purchase a nexus DX 300 and try to find out when the 2002 production starts. (For instance, for the Volvo Cross Country, it is the week 35). My local dealer says that they will be no change in the model 2002, but according my opinion, they are always some small changes from one year to the other - and some of this change could be important to me.
    Greetings from Switzerland. J.J.
  • Options
    Outrun,
    Thanks for the info on your bike rack. I did some checking and it seems like my only options are top rack or hitch mount. None of the manufactures make a rear mount strap model to fit the RX300. I checked out your Yakima model and it looks great. What kind of hitch did you get and how does it look?
    Thanks,
    mikey00
  • Options
    Mikey00:
    Since you gave me the info on the tires let me reciprocate on the bike rack. Since I only use the rack a couple of times a year, I opted for a strap mount. I have the Allen 103A and it works fine. It is a "fits all" model and attaches to the hatch upper lip and the inner bumper. Of course you can't open the hatch when it is attached, but for cheap and efficient it does the trick. and does not scratch due to rubber coated hook straps. I think the rack was about $40 - $50 at my local bike shop.
  • Options
    pbk77pbk77 Member Posts: 23
    Anyone have any suggestions or have successful methods of getting stains out of the interior carpet? Anyone try those small carpet cleaning machines? Do they really work? I'd appreciate any suggestions that lead to a nice and clean interior. Thanks!!!
  • Options
    grumb,
    I am in the same situation as you. I only use the bike rack 2 times a year and would hate to go the whole hitch route for this. I am curious about your Allen 103A. How many bikes? Do you have a rear spoiler on your RX and how do the straps go around it? I guess you found some metal under the plastic bumper to attach the bottom straps to.
    Thanks,
    mikey00
  • Options
    I got the Lexus hitch installed when I picked up our RX about two months ago. To me it was easier to have Lexus do it (and hook up the wiring harness) than go buy a UHaul or other generic hitch. It looks great and has a neat little Lexus cap that goes over the hitch hole when not in use.

I like the hitch mounted racks since nothing ever touches the vechicle itself. Be it twice a year, or every weekend, any contact with the vehicle itself is eventually going to do something. At least that's my opinion.

The Yakima is great. They also sell less expensive versions that don't swing away. Some will "drop" down and out to let the rear open without removing the rack itself.

-Craig
  • Options
    avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    I have a bike rack that uses straps. I just hook the top rubberized buckles on the top of the hatch door and the bottom buckles on the bottom of the door. (I don't have a spoiler.) Only use it a couple of times a year, holds a couple of bikes and works fine. I don't have it here or I would check the brand. It collapses down when taken off the car and has large foam pads that rest against the car. If you are careful to make things tight and position the bikes correctly it works great.
  • Options
    mikey00:

I do have the spoiler and the straps fit underneath it at the top of the hatch. I believe it will hold 2 adult and one child's bike although I have used it for only two bike's thus far (adult and child) . The description sounds very much like post 2125 although I do concede to outrun's theory about wear on the vehicle eventually; as sited in his previous post . By the way I just checked and Allen does have a web site www.allenracks.com
  • Options
    vincer2vincer2 Member Posts: 97
    avguy:

"Automotive News" which is probably the premier automotive industry weekly newspaper contains the info you are seeking. Ususally somewhere near the last few pages you'll find the days of inventory by manufacturer. Even though its a weekly publication I believe these specific numbers are published monthly.

I'm not sure of the correct name of the publisher but it's something like "Crain Publishing". You may need to subscribe to their online service to see the stats you're after. http://www.autonews.com/html/main/index.html

The local library probably has a copy.

Vince

• Options
    marcdugganmarcduggan Member Posts: 4
    Melvin Hsu came up with a great INTERIOR bike rack idea that I finally put together the other week and works great for our bikes. It was posted about a year ago in one of the previous forums. Go to your bike shop and get a front fork mounting bracket (like some roof kits have) and mount it to a wide board (approx 10"x40"). Lay the board down in the rear cargo area (flip the rear mat over so the board rests on the rubber side). Remove the front wheel, push the bike end first into the back of the vehicle towards the front seats (you may have to lower the bike seat) and secure the front fork to the board. Works like a charm and keeps your bikes protected and secure when you are not at the car. Thanks again to Melvin Hsu.
  • Options
    sardeadsardead Member Posts: 4
    Hi everyone

My 01 Rex is a week old now. After I drive it, there is a burning smell that is detectable on the outside. When I test drove this car, my salesman (Park Place Lexus of Plano, Texas) informed me that this smell was normal for the 1st 2 weeks because they applied some kind of a protectorant to the undercarriage.

I've been poring through this forum and haven't seen any posts to this subject. Would the lexus gurus care to comment on this?

thanks

2001 RX300 Millenium Silver/Black
  • Options
    rparis2rparis2 Member Posts: 46
    Although I did not notice the burning smell on my Lexus, I have had the odor on other new cars. I suspect your salesman is correct, it will burn off soon. Many manufacturers do put on a protective coating. I wold not be too concerned unless the odor continues for many more weeks.
  • Options
    jackkelljackkell Member Posts: 3
    I never noticed a burning smell while breaking in my Lexus. If it continues, and is really noticeable, I'd have it checked out.

Keep us informed of the outcome.
  • Options
    mlevinedcmlevinedc Member Posts: 45
    I had that too on my '01 RX for about a week. It really detracts from the "new car" smell for a while but goes away quickly.
  • Options
    clee4clee4 Member Posts: 103
    Probably coming from the coating on the motor and exhaust system. It should soon burn off. Run the vehicle and then pop the hood, it should be stronger from there.
  • Options
    rx300_99rx300_99 Member Posts: 5
    i have a thule rack purchased for about $135 at a local bike shop. it fits a wide variety of vehicles and works perfectly on rx300 with 3 attachment points on each side and rubber padding for direct contact points.
  • Options
    I am interested in what model Thule rack you have? At www.thule.com they claim the only rack that will fit an RX is a hitch or top mount. I have a Thule Model 972 (about 5 years old). It carried 3 bikes nicely on my Mitsubishi Expo. I guess I need to expeirment with it on my RX. Is yours like mine? 2 straps/clips on the top attach to top lip of rear hatch, one clip/strap each side to attach lip on sides of hatch, and 2 clips/straps on bottom attach to bottom lip of hatch or something sturdy under bumper. It also has 2 large round foam pads. One is up against the rear window the other sits where the rear hatch and bumper meet. Where do you attach the 2 bottom clips on your RX and do the top 2 fit under the spoiler ok?
    Thanks,
    mikey00
  • Options
    Wouldn't it be a 100% easier (and somewhat sturdier) to get a hitch-mounted bike rack? One connection point. Slide on, slide off. No damage to the RX.

-Craig
  • Options
    jfetterjfetter Member Posts: 29
    Sardead,

My RX smelled terrible for about 2 weeks, I too was worried but was told by the salesman that this was normal and would go away. It did go away :-)

Jack Fetter
  • Options
    Craig,
    Go watch what they do underneath your RX when they install that hitch and you will soon realize straps, clips and pads are the more gentle solution for your RX, especially for a casual use bike rack. I also felt a hitch would hurt resale value. Nobody will believe I only used it for a bike rack. I agree with you the hitch mount does have its good points: sturdier, swings out of the way for rear hatch, etc. I would go the hitch route if it was any more than casual use. I am just trying to avoid the permanent hitch look, hit on reasale value and initial cost of the whole thing.
    mikey00
  • Options
    I have never heard that a hitch on a car-based SUV has affected resale value in a negative way. Seeing that it can't tow much more than a 10 foot canoe, I doubt someone is going to think that it was a yatch transporter for years on end.

And I did see what they do to the RX when installing the hitch, as the dealership I bought it from did the installation (the port doesn't do them anymore). It's a clean installation, very sturdy, and personally, it think the RX looks a bit better WITH the hitch on the back. To me, something looks to be missing when an RX doesn't have one.

Should I assume that having a rear wing on the RX (which is now standard fare on 99% of the RX's coming over here) is going to be a detriment to resale because I must be driving faster to need one?

I can see your point of a hitch or a plow on a full sized truck, which CAN tow upwards of 8,000-10,000 pounds. But an RX? Nah.

And hit on initial price? We're spending upwards of $40k on these vehicles. What's another ~$300 for a hitch.

-Craig
  • Options
    Go back through some old posts on this and previous RX forums and see what some people are towing (some even have photos). I certainly don't want their RX when their done.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Anytime I was shopping for a new car and it had a trailer hitch I would immediately check the transmission fluid. I didn't want to see "burned" fluid that had likely been over-heated nor did I want to see absolutely new fluid that was likely there because someone didn't want me to see the burned fluid it replaced.
  • Options
    sybelesybele Member Posts: 42
    Hi mikey00. Don't buy the Cross Terrains at Sears. They are charging $200 more than Costco. Happy driving.
  • Options
    All I know is that I'll be worry free when transporting my bikes for the next 5 or so years. I would never attach anything to my vehicle that would cause rubbing in the same location over an extended period of time, especially if there is any dirt or dust.

If resale is impacted, maybe people should take the hitch off before selling.

Anyways, I usually trade in my cars, as the difference in price I could get outright more or less outweighs the sales tax savings by trading it in and the reduced grief of the "one month" fix/return policy (at least in Massachusetts). I doubt a dealership is going to "discount" the car on trade-in due to a hitch receiver.

-Craig
  • Options
    izabelajohnizabelajohn Member Posts: 38
    I am happy to report that my problem seems to be resolved. As I posted before, the front strut mounts were replaced which helped with the thumping noise. But I was ready to go back to the dealer to have them check for other problems since the ride remained uncomfortably firm. I decided to check the tire pressure first though, after reading some of the posts here. Well, all of my tires were at 33 or 34 psi! Lowering to 30psi immediately improved the ride quality. Somehow it wasn't obvious in winter, but now with warmer temperatures (and plenty of pot holes after all the snow we had this past winter) the harshness of the ride became more apparent.
    Is 30psi what you generally recommend for RX?
  • Options
    Mine are at 30psi (came from the dealer that way too). I have the BFG Dueller's on an '01 RX.

Ride is smooth, but not bouncy.

-Craig
  • Options
    widmerwidmer Member Posts: 4
    I just order a Lexux RX 300 today - delivery in about 4 months.

During the test drive, I didn't check the O/D button on the gear handle. Can somebody tell me for what it is good for.

Thank you.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The original reason for overdrive was to let the engine run at a lower RPM, less overall wear, when simply cruising along and not needing very much pulling torque.

Now-a-days it is also touted, truthfully, just as much as a method to increase the gas mileage.

The only real need for the ability to disengage the overdrive is to apply a little bit more torque than otherwise when going up an incline. If you have a mileage monitor you will notice that disengaging the overdrive will sometimes result in slightly better gas mileage on a long hill pull. This is because the engine is likely operating at a more efficent point in its non-linear torque curve.

The other use, invisible most times to you, is that the engine computer often puts the transmission in overdrive without the torque converter lock-up engaged to reduce engine braking to the wheels when the throttle is "off" and you are basically just coasting along.

Engine braking can be horribly detrimental in a FWD vehicle on a slippery roadbed, and even in a AWD like the RX with 70% of the engine (leading or lagging) torque delivered to the front wheels.

Automatically putting the transmission in overdrive with the lock-up off eliminates most of the engine braking horsepower and thus mostly eliminates these detrimental differential braking affects.
  • Options
    mooretorquemooretorque Member Posts: 241
    Mine (actually, wife's) are at 30psi also. Currently on Michelin CrossTerrains, with which I have been very happy, BTW.

Widmer, the O/D button is essentially an overdrive lockout. Button in, you have all 4 gears of your 4 speed automatic; button out, you have removed overdrive from the box. This used to be a little more common (for instance, my SC400 had same sort of trans arrangement back in 92) but most mfgrs have gone to a more conventional arrangement, sans button.
  • Options
    seahawk1seahawk1 Member Posts: 1
    Looking for new RX300 Silversport in the SF bay area. Got around $36600 from carsdirect. Does anyone know from your experience whether local dealer here can beat that price? What is your recent experience buying from local Lexus dealers in San Francisco Bay Area?
    TIA.
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    What's stopping you from contacting a dealer to ask? Use the carsdirect price and see if they'll beat it or match it. You can always try one of the other services if you don't want to bother with the phone or email.
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Craig, I think you mean the Bridgestone Duelers :-)

Izebela, you didn't notice it as much in the winter probably because the tires didn't run as warm (the air in the tire expands as the tires heat up as you drive along). With the warmer spring/summer temperatures, the greater expansion caused the tires to be "harder".

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    shrt_pgsshrt_pgs Member Posts: 2
    Mr. Mikey00

A receiver hitch decreasing a SUV's resale? I would tend to disagree. Yes the hitch is a platform for potential abuse to the vehicle but not when used with in the recommended towing limits. Believe me the engineers at Lexus are not going to let you even come close to hurting there baby with some uncouth towing accessory strapped to the rear end. (I know...) The 3500lb rating is the recommended maximum load for safe operation (with factory provided towing package). The receiver hitch option is a much more flexible route for quickly utilizing bike racks, trailers or what ever you dream up for your vehicle.

As far as what the installer may do to the car I can only speak for and recommend the Genuine Toyota Part which in no way harms or alters your vehicle in any way. The receiver is bolted to existing holes in the vehicle frame into weld nuts specifically installed for this type of accessory. No drilling, tampering or tomfoolery with your vehicle occurs in the installation of this part. Now for after market products I cant say the same thing.
  • Options
    sardeadsardead Member Posts: 4
    Thanks to all for their responses. I checked with Lexus service - they said that it was not unusual for the smell to last for up to a month. The service lady jokingly said that if I did NOT get the smell in my first week of the car that I should get concerned. Her parting remarks were to "enjoy the smell, it won't last very long".
  • Options
    Drew:
    That G in BFG slipped in there some how (maybe I fat fingered the F key and hit G as well). I meant to say BF Duellers as the company (at least in America) is called Bridgestone/Firestone. Thanks for the correction.

shrt_pgs:
    I agree 100%. The Lexus brand hitch is a perfect and clean install on the RX. I couldn't be happier.

And for the record, our RX didn't have a burning smell the first two weeks.

-Craig