Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• lexrx2lexrx2 Member Posts: 1
    If any of you Atlanta area folks (I hope there are some here) are interested, there will be a ClubLexus meeting this Sunday (July 8th). Check out the specifics on http://www.clublexus.com

There is some information on the main page as well as in the Club Meetings - Southeast fourmn.

• tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    Confusing? Yea, but what I really regret is not having enough cash to splurge on a set of 2001 Service manuals. I believe they are about $>200 and would definitely provide some much needed technical answers.

Right now I'd rather the spend the cash on some needed accessories for the vehicle: Side tubes (to help the little man get in and out on his own) and a back-up warning system.

I really want the tech manuals so that I can possibly "hack" into the (Toyota) vehicle LAN. There's folks over at the Yahoo Prius discussion that are actually trying to do this so that they can add their own electronic accessories/mods. I believe Toyota uses the same vehicle LAN in all their vehicles and the Prius folks have given me some good ideas to go on.

So many things to do, so little time....
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Oh, I see, said the blind man when the goose kicked him......

You have been saying "center(/re) differential" and I have not before noticed. I think of a differential as having a driven input shaft and two output shafts. That is not the way AWD is setup in the RX. There is no "center" differential at all, it's setup as I described before. I haven't looked, but I would guess the 2001 RX has an "open" front differential and an "open" rear differential, with the all-wheel traction control to apply the brakes to any "free-wheeling", spinning wheel or wheels.

The "best" torque ratio one might obtain is 51/49 front/rear with the viscous clutch fully "engaged", a circumstance that will never exist in normal driving with all four wheels turning at the same rate.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    From Edmunds' road test of the '00 RX:

"The solution was to make an all-wheel-drive option, combining an integrated transfer case with a viscous coupling center differential and an optional limited-slip rear differential. It provides a 50/50 front-to-rear power split for even traction, and we surmise that this system, along with the transmission in the "Snow" mode that starts the RX 300 off in second gear for less slippage, will be useful for residents of colder climates"

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • adpcsadpcs Member Posts: 59
    Does anyone know if it is possible to set a city as default on the Navigation system. I live in Houston, and use the system all the time, but if I don't enter the city first (every time), I end up with a list of 5-7 streets with the same name in the region. Its not that big of a deal, but just an annoyance.

Any ideas on when the 2001 DVD will be out, and if so, how much or will it be free?

Thanks.
    Ashish
  • gohuskiesgohuskies Member Posts: 40
    Please provide dealership information/name/contact/location relative to your Silversport purchase. My email address is listed on my profile so you can send it to me. Thanks
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    How much should I pay for a 4x2 with premium pkg, wood/leather wheel, spoiler and heated seats?

MSRP IS $38,000 invoice is $34,000

I appreciate any feedback.
  • ericald01ericald01 Member Posts: 1
    Aslaw - which dealer did you work with to purchase a RX300 for $300 over invoice... I've been searching in the DC area, and your info would be helpful! Also, let me know if you would recommend a particular salesperson.... Thanks!
  • drivindrivin Member Posts: 10
    After I reverse and move the gear to drive, I can distinctly hear a single dull thump as the car moves forward. It sounds like something is engaging in the AWD mode maybe? Has anyone noticed the same noise? Is this normal on the RX300? If it is, it'll save me a trip to my Lexus dealer. I know on my Nissan Pathfinder, I can somewhat hear the same thumping noise when I engage to the 4WD mode.
  • luckyghostluckyghost Member Posts: 2
    I have a thule bike bike roof rack.
    889 velo vise fork mount rack pack.

It's new - still in box - never used.

I live in the Germantowon MD - Wash. DC area.

Make a decent offer and it's yours.

Email me directly at:
    Frank@docdel.com
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please, no soliciting on Town Hall. Try eBay :-)

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• bcjacob1bcjacob1 Member Posts: 39
    Regarding the prior posts for trailer hitches, inDecember 2000, I ordered a '01 RX 300 AWD from a dealer w/ all options + the trailer hitch. When the car was delivered, it did not have the trailer hitch. The dealer said it would order the part and have it installed. After 4 months, I heard nothing + called the dealer. The salesman said that he was told Lexus will not install a trailer hitch on a '01 RX 300 because of "liability reasons." As I lawyer, I asked what those reasons were and were given none. I called several dealers, all of whom said they cannot install a trailer hitch on a '01 RX300 - but for differeing reasons.

The dealer offered to put an aftermaeket hitch on my RX but I instisted on the factory one. The dealer said it was not possible to which I responded that I'll drop off my RX and pick up a new one (the one I ordered w/ the hitch). After threatening litigation and actuallly bringing my RX to the dealer to leave it there, I was told the hitch will be installed in 30 minutes.

To this day, I don't know what the story is w/ the trailer hitch on a '01 RX 300. But, the dealer did install one for me - finally.
    Brad, this is indeed weird. I mean if they were truly afraid of "liabilty" as they claimed, they why would they go ahead and do it anyway?? And why offer an aftermarket instead of the OEM version? Doesn't make sense.

Did you try calling the Lexus Customer Service # and asking them what's going on? I'd be curious.
  • clee4clee4 Member Posts: 103
    This is tale of another horse. When I ordered my 01 RX, I did not order a trailer hitch, but wanted one. I was going to order a hitch from Irontoad, but when I went to pick up the vehicle, there was already a hitch installed. I do not know if the dealer installed it or was port installed. They just bolt on to existing nut plates inside the frame. What's the big deal?
  • apollo8apollo8 Member Posts: 9
    Can the helpful readers of this forum give me an idea of how many miles they get (I'll do the conversion to kms) per tankfull. Also what type of driving. Mostly highway, mostly city or mix. Thanks as always!!!
  • rxcurerxcure Member Posts: 33
    My average is 20, with a moderate mix of driving. My 22 mile commute takes me about 40 minutes: 10 miles is on a congested highway that has ~8 stoplights; 7 miles is on open freeway; 5 miles is stop and go traffic through a city with lots and lots of stoplights. When I do more freeway driving my mileage creeps up to around 22 (I tend to drive at 75 or so, if I were lighter on the pedal, mileage would be better). When I do more city driving or around-town errands, mileage dips closer to 18.
  • rlemos1rlemos1 Member Posts: 2
    I am currently a Volvo owner and considering a RX 300 over a Volvo XC.

I was offered a take over lease - $ 435/mo for 14 mos plus $ 25.3 K with purchase option. The car is loaded - 27 K.
    Does this sound like a good deal ? If I did the math right I will be paying 31K total for a 1999.
    Thanks for your help
  • mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    I personally would not take that deal. One reason being that currently in my area CT. 99' Rx's can be had cheaper than 31k (loaded) + certified by Lexus which extends the warranty. Many 99' leases are being turned in now(actually sense March).
  • apollo8apollo8 Member Posts: 9
    thanks rxcure. Can you tell me how many miles you can drive in total per tankfull.
  • rxcurerxcure Member Posts: 33
    I rarely go much beyond 300 miles with my '00 RX, even though according to gas tank capacity I have a margin of a gallon or two at that point. Note that the tank in '01 models was increased by approximately 2 gallons (someone can remind us of the precise amount), which would take you 40 or so miles further under typical conditions. You could push it a bit further, but it's better for the vehicle I'm told (and relations with your spouse) to not push the gas tank limits too much.
    From the Lexus website: 2001 fuel tank = 19.8 U.S. gallons.

20 x 19.8 = 396 possible miles.

I routinely do at least 350 - 375 miles before my wife smacks me for "running on empty".
  • aslawaslaw Member Posts: 4
    As noted in message #2295, we bought the car in Silver Spring. As the sales manager instructed the salesman to call me and accept my price, I don't have a recommendation of salespeople.

BTW, once we arrived at the dealership, we were treated royally.
  • mlevinedcmlevinedc Member Posts: 45
    I am sorry, but I must ask - what does it mean to be treated royally when buying a vehicle? I really don't mean to be facetious but I'd like to understand what I am missing in the buying process.
    My 2-cents:

Arrived at the dealership and were promptly greeted, not caused to wait. Showed a genuine concern for your time.

The price you negotiated via phone/fax/email/handshake/etc. is the price you paid. No last minute surprises, no tacked on "accesories" or services

Never rushed during the process, each step clearly explained if asked.

Car was ready for inspection during pickup in an enclosed area. Was allowed to inspect the vehicle at your leisure.

Hands on tutorial of the vehicle was given covering all features.

Any last minute requests were honored as best as humanly possible.

Was introduced to all significant dealer personnel, service manager, gerenal manager, service advisor and lead mechanic. All contact names and numbers were given.

Vehicle would have been delivered to home/office if desired.
  • nealm1nealm1 Member Posts: 154
    I am new to this board; forgive me if this topic has been exhausted previuosly. I have a 99 AWD which I like very much EXCEPT the Nakamichi stereo is just plain awful. Has anyone had any luck with retro-fitting speakers or other fixes for this problem? I am currently driving the new LS 430 (my wife drives the RX) and I must say that the prospect of leaving my Mark Levinson behind and spending hours in the RX on the way to the beach this summer is most unappealling. Any ideas?
    First thing to do is replace the speakers, they are always the weakest link. You can replace the front speakers with Infinty component ones (separates), though I'm not sure about the dash mounted tweeters. A trip to your local car stereo expert should answer that question.
  • outrunoutrun Member Posts: 539
    Been away for about a week, so here's my comments on some previous posts:

Hitch:
    We ordered our '01 AWD RX300 with a hitch. The RX was still in Japan (or in transit) when we ordered, as we ended up getting it a month later. Initially, we were told the hitch would be a port-installed option. When the RX arrived at the dealership, it didn't have the hitch installed. The salesman (who seemed pretty honest throughout the purchasing process) said the port doesn't install the hitches anymore (NJ Port). So the dealership installed it instead. It cost $75 more for the dealership for some reason (shop rates are more?). When spending $40k for a vechicle, it's worth the few extra bucks to get a Lexus hitch with a nifty Lexus hitch cap (IMO). We purchased at Lexus of Norwood (in MA).

Mileage:
    We just took a trip from MA to Prince Edward Island in Canada (about 640 miles). On the way there, I set the cruise between 75MPH and 80MPH. My guess is that was about 80% of the drive there. The rest was mountain, curvy roads that I had to accelerate up, slow down around, etc. (I thought it was fun. My wife started getting car sick.) The trip computer said we got 21.4MPG. It was tough to calculate at the pump because of the gallon/metric differences between the US and Canada.

We drove about 400 miles while in PEI. It's mostly rural roads, travelling between 50MPH and 70MPH. The way home, I set the cruise between 75 and 85 (getting a little impatient on the 11 hour trip) with jaunts to 95MPH. The trip computer, when I got home, gave an overall average of 20.6 for the ~1700 miles we drove in 5 days time. Pretty damn good considering I did some outright hard driving while in PEI (one road was fantastic - red dirt/gravel covered, slight curves, hauled down it doing about 70 - giant plume of dust behind us).

PEI is a lovely place to visit BTW.

-Craig
  • clee4clee4 Member Posts: 103
    I second the comments by Tony. When I pick up my 01 RX this year the treatment was outstanding and when I picked up my 94 GS years ago, the treatment was very good. Two different dealerships. The RX: No extras added on to price, vehicle parked for inspection under natural light, documents completed, every button and control explained by sales person, introduced to all major players at dealership, vehicle arrived from port when scheduled, the sales person went along on the test drive, they called a few days later to make sure everything was OK, little things like plate frames, coffee cups, extra key fobs, a "full" tank of gas, a 3lb can of peanuts arrived in the mail, follow ups on service, and only 10 miles on odometer. The attitude of the dealership goes a long way towards satification. When you pay that much money for a car you just expect more then sheet metal and leather.
  • nealm1nealm1 Member Posts: 154
    Thanks for the response, and I agree that the speakers are almost always the place to start. Have you actually tried this? I would hate to sink another couple hundred into a miserable stereo, although at this point I may be willing to do it on a hope and a prayer.
    I understand your concerns, no, I haven't done it yet because I'm very satisfied with the (base) premium stereo on the 2001.

There's are great bunch of Lexus owners who have extensive experience with changing out the stereos at ClubLexus.com

Try this link: http://www.clublexus.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?s=8671e45ee6d2fc52d305bea18ef0d652&forumid=12

• drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    How about getting some of them over here to post about their experiences, and to contribute their expertise too? ;-)

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    For speakers try "MB Quart"

Under Tony's tacked on accessories/last minute surprises add no window etching, scotch guard, and no insurance in case you lose your job at the post office and can't pay for the car.
    (Finance guy's love this one)
  • ranjithwranjithw Member Posts: 9
    Hello All

I live in Missouri. I talked with a RX300 dealer to buy a RX with the premium plus package. He offered me one for 36.5K. He also offered me another RX300 with NAG system for 38.2 K. Could somebody tell me which deal would be better? My wife wants the NAG system but we can live without it. Thanks
  • tommy37tommy37 Member Posts: 1
    hello people I just got a sliver sport with navi. and every opt. awd.i paid 40k is that a good price? I put on mania 4x4 brush guards + side steps (blk on sliver...) I got piaa fog lamp in the middle... am thinking about getting rear tail light guard for it but I know if I should any suggestions???? how does the factory tow hitch look like? I would like to get that also. well my sales person was so nice to me and I have great service.... am from philadelphia.2002 are they changing the style or what I heard its be 3rd row seating I hope they dont redesign it ..... wonder if its installable on the 2001 rx300 oh wellz any1 selling giovanna rims anzio 20' for my suv.....please answer back thanks
  • drummerboydrummerboy Member Posts: 30
    -RX300 probably won't be redesigned until 2003. I also read about the 3rd row seats... but you won't have to worry about that. There is no way for Lexus to fit a 3rd row of seats in that little space.

-I have a 2001 RX300 with nav. The nav is awesome... compared to the nav on my mercedes, the Lexus Nav is much better. I think it's an option that you can't go without.

-I upgraded my stereo by adding a pair of 12 inch subwoofers in the back. The subs are powered by its own amplifier. Most people don't understand how much of a difference subwoofers can make. The sound is at least twice as good as before. I wanted to change the speakers and hook it up with its own amplifiers. However, i wasn't able to do it without deactivating the voice guidance of the nav. If anyone's planning on getting a new RX, I definitely recommend getting the nav and then adding a pair of subs in the back (it cuts the trunk space by 1/2 tho!! But it's well worth it.)
  • mlevinedcmlevinedc Member Posts: 45
    I guess I am just expecting too much in the Lexus buying process because I don't consiider the following as royal treatment but the simple cortesey of a "deal is a deal".

You see I expect: -The price negotiated is the price paid.(it was)
    -The vehicle to be spotless, prepped properly
    and parked where I can examine it. (it was)
    -To be greeted promptly when I have an appointment
    to hand over 40 or 50 grand and receive the car(ok)
    -Not to be "sold" add-ons prior to closing (they
    tried -Simonize, alarms, undercoating...)
    -Not to be turned over to the Business Manager to be
    accosted once again "Are you sure you don't want to
    to lease?" (and me with check in full, in hand)
    -To meet the Service Manager (I did)
    -To have the paperwork (that they charge 229.00
    "conveyance fee" to do) correct and waiting(it
    was)

I personally do not consider the above being "Treated Royally", I thing these things should be just common RESPECT.

My vehcle was also delayed three days (after waiting 6 weeks for it) because the parts department sold the chrome wheels that were "on reserve" waiting for my delivery. I wanted the Bridgestones and got Goodyears because (we don't have any extra Bridgestones).

It's amazing how different dealerships interpret "The pusuit of Perfection" eh?
  • mikey00mikey00 Member Posts: 462
    I recently traded in my 00Rx for a 01RX and had to make the same decision about NAV. I went through all the old posts on this board and some others and found that a lot of people are happy with NAV but there are also some unhappy ones. Some dissatisfaction came from the operation of the NAV itself (which I could live with). What I did not like was it makes operation of the basics on the screen (radio,heat,A/C) more difficult. This complaint comes mostly from people who had a RX without NAV and traded up to NAV. One old post on this board even expressed desire to trade again for non-Nav. Anyway, I decided to save $2K and pass on the NAV this time around. If you have the time, go back over the old posts and come to the conclusion that's best for you.
    I regard to your question on the hitch see post#2274 and some follow on after that. I my opinion the HL hitch looks better than the RX factory hitch and is much less expensive. I see you are from Philadelphia, 1800hitch.com is in that area and they sell that hitch and do installations. The only thing missing is you don't get the Lexus Emblem hitch cap but you should be able to buy at least 100 of them with the money you save. I am not sure of the cost, my Lexus dealer gave it to me for free when I said I lost mine.
    Thanks Mikey00

Do you think then 36.5K for an RX300 with Premium plus package is a good price to pay? Do you think that I am getting a good deal?

Thanks
  • rrabyrraby Member Posts: 10
    I bought my '01 RX w/ Premium Plus back in January in the DFW area and paid $36.5K driveout, including TT&L. Dunno what prices have done since, but unless those are driveout figures you're quoting, they sound high to me.
    ranjithw
    36.5K sounds like a good price to me assuming it is AWD. The best I could do in NJ was 36.4K about a month ago and that was an internet dealer and was really too far away for me. TT&L would be additional. Prices vary in different parts of the country and should get cheaper as the model year draws to a close but you also run the risk of not finding the car you want.

rraby - Was your car FWD or AWD? I am guessing FWD. In NJ tax alone is over 2k.
  • jfetterjfetter Member Posts: 29
    This is just a follow-up to some previous posts regarding adding a hitch to an RX. It all started with #2274 from Mikey00 (thanks again Mikey00! The hitch is awesome) regarding the Highlander hitch made by Hidden Hitch. I must say the hitch looks great and the install was a breeze, even the directions for the highlander wiring harness was dead-on for the RX (shows you how much in common the 2 actually are).

I plan on posting photos of the whole process once I have time to dump the images from my DV camcorder but here are the basics;

1.) Highlander Hitch is Class III rated so it comes with a 2" receiver, other than that it is identical to the Lexus design except it is made of tubular steel. IMO, this look is much nicer than the somewhat small gauge box design of the factory hitch. I crawled under one at the dealer the other day just out of curiosity and I can assure you the Hidden Hitch unit is nicer and more substantial.

2.) Mounting is a breeze, simply unbolt the 2 brackets used to hold the RX's down during shipping (R and L - held on with 2 bolts each) and remove the two rubber plugs that are keeping water and debris from getting in the additional mounting holes on each side (total - 3 holes per side) and bolt the unit in place. The holes are an exact match and the unit ships with the necessary 6 bolts.

3.) That's it! Unless you decide to add the wiring harness, the entire job takes 10 minutes. The wiring harness plugs into the pre-wired connector that is found in the wiring box directly under the rear of the RX. Simply loosen 4 nuts and the plastic cover comes off exposing the wiring harness (you need to remove the protective plastic cap to plug in the harness). Route the harness along the hitch and secure using the included wire ties.

*The only problem I can see is securing the bracket for the 4-pin plug. It comes with a bent piece of metal that is designed to bolt to the bumper or whatever you feel like drilling through but that requires a little work. The 4-pin flat plug comes with a rubber "cap" and will mount in this plate if desired. I decided to simply leave the 4-pin plug dangling near the hitch receiver until I decide if I want to drill into the tubular steel hitch or mount the plug to the bumper or other location. The only thing that could make this foolproof is if the hitch assembly had a location for the plug by design.

The hitch unit also comes with a pretty nifty 4-pin into 6-pin plug that can be mounted to the hitch/RX. With it, you simply plug the 4-pin wiring harness into the back and then flip open the plastic cover to reveal both a 4-pin and 6-pin plugs. This nifty plug comes with the hitch, it is shipped separately but is included with the price of the unit. It has holes to mount to whatever you want (again, you have to drill 2 holes somewhere) but makes for a very professional installation that provides both 4-pin flat and 6-pin round connections.

I'll post pictures by the weekend, they show how easy it actually is...

Jack Fetter
    Thanks Mikey00 and rraby
    They quoted this price for a WAD with Perm Plus Package. It also has wood and leather steering wheel, cargo net and mats. They said that they would add another $97 for processing fee. I am not sure about that fee yet. I do not know whether that fee is for TT and L. I will ask them about it. However, I HAVE TO PAY on the car... What do you guys think about it?
    Sorry Guys
    in the previous message I meant to say was AWD not WAD... I am sorry!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There's a lot of that going around :-)

You have 30 minutes to make any changes or fixes after you post a message. Just click on the Edit button that follows your message after you post it.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Thanks Steve!

Guys I just called the dealership again and found out that the RX300 would cost me 39.4K with tax,TT and L. Without TAX and Processing fee, it is 36.5K. This is for a 2001 RX300 with prem plus package. Do you think this is a good deal???

Thanks
  • bird38bird38 Member Posts: 4
    Not sure where you live or what the dealerships are doing in your area, but I just purchased an AWD with NAV, heated seats, accessory rails, cargo mat, hitch... the works for $38.2 +TTL. I also considered the FWD NAV with the same additional features for $36.5.

In most cases, most dealers will sell the Rex's at about $500-$800 over invoice today.

Hope that helps.
  • kimwipeskimwipes Member Posts: 21
    I was reading the manual and it quotes 2 services
    schedules. For oil changes, the 4K/4 months schedule is for short trips/cold wheater, dusty
    roads, etc. The 7.5K/6 months seems more appropriate for city driving. I'm coming up to my 4 months and the dealer schedule the first oil change soon. What do you guys think, should I just keep the car in the 4 month or 6 month schedule? I do mostly city driving, no towing.
    Thanks Brid38

I live in St. Louis, MO.....I wonder whether this price is too high for midwest region...

Thnaks
  • jse75jse75 Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know what changes will be in the 2002 RX300's? I am considering a purchase and since it's the end of the model year there seem to be some reasonable deals.

On the other hand, if next year's RX300 has a side head airbag (curtain or whatever they call it), that would be personally worth waiting for. Does anybody know?

Thanks,
    Jason