Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    Relentless pursuit of perfection - pah, just wait until I get the call from HQ!

Tarik
  • ststephen0ststephen0 Member Posts: 37
    Where do you take your lexus for service (which city/dealership)?
  • tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    My (only) dealership here is Lexus of Greenville, SC. I believe it's the people's general attitude of not caring. I.e., the loaner (2001 RX) was filthy inside/out, but the only thing the SA had to say was that his customers just don't treat the loaners the way thay should. Well, I see his point, but can't the cars be cleaned in between???

Tarik
  • rrabyrraby Member Posts: 10
    Re your jittery noise near the front passenger window, I've had the same problem (mine seemed to be coming from the door, right around the armrest, but it was tough to localize), and I've seen posts from others that they've had the problem, too. I took my '01 in twice to have it looked at, and the second time I gave the tech a ride to point out the problem to him. Once he acknowledged the noise, they gave me a loaner (which, ironically, had the same problem) while they kept it for a day. They took the door apart and put it back together, and while the problem hasn't completely gone away, it's been significantly better since. Every other instance I've heard of this problem has been on a 2001, though, so it must be something about that model.
  • outrunoutrun Member Posts: 539
    Our Indigo Ink Pearl '01 RX AWD (Nav, wood, etc.) does not have any squeaks, rattles, or vibrations at ~4500 miles. We took a trip from MA up to Prince Edward Island (about 11 hours each way), and didn't notice anything.

After driving 11 straight hours in a vehicle, anything and everything possible will bother you. After getting back, I wasn't even fatigued from driving.

-Craig
  • tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    Same here, same options. 8500 miles and extremely solid. The only rattles I get is from my kid hiding coins and pebbles in the "secret compartments". I find new stuff everyday.

My only complaint in terms of driving fatigue is I wish there was a longer seat bottom. I have very long legs and could use more under thigh support. But this is nothing unique, many vehicles I test drove were similar in this area. I suspect that most cars are designed for the average American height of about 5' 9".
    TC,

I notice slight discomfort on my thighs after about 5 hours, but strectching my legs out every now and then took care of it. I thought it was just me with that problem. Longer seat bottoms would cure this?

I'm 6'3" for reference.

Our kid turns 1 in a few weeks. I'm preparing to turn the car seat around to forward facing. I can just imagine what kind of stuff he's going to end up throwing at the driver, be it my wife or myself.

-Craig
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    steve_ "Lexus LX470" Jul 20, 2001 11:00am

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

I won't give you a direct answer on "thigh support" because everybody's physiology is different. For example, you and I could be exactly the same height, but maybe because of the way I walk everyday, certain muscles in my legs might fatigue quicker than ones in your legs. One thing that is comfortable for me might be annoying for you. Etc.

But yes, I believe that if the seat bottoms were longer than more of the upper leg closer to the knee would be supported. This in turn would take strain off of the muscles/tendons right above the knee on your thighs.

"Our kid turns 1 in a few weeks. I'm preparing to turn the car seat around to forward facing. I can just imagine what kind of stuff he's going to end up throwing at the driver, be it my wife or myself."

1? Oh yea, 1 year old, I remember that. Seems like yesterday. My little man turns 4 next month. He is very opinionated (gee, wonder where he gets that from?) and one of his favorite things in the Rex is telling me that his directions are better than the Navigation computer's, "daddy, turn that 'puter off or you'll get lost again.."

Don't worry, they don't throw things unless you as parents allow that to be acceptable behavior. It amazes me at the unruly children we see whenever we're out, you can usually spot an apathetic parent nearby...

Where are you located? LI also?
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    Back when I was a young man, I owned a Porsche 924. It also had a vibration at idle. Chuck Stoddard is the gifted mechanical genius who owns Stoddard Imported Cars, a Porsche dealer in Willoughby, OH. Mr Stoddard advised 924 owners with the vibration problem at idle to back the bolts holding the engine mounts off until the mounts were loose, drive the car around the block, and re-tighten the mounts. It usually helped, but I have no idea if this is a possible fix for a RX.
  • wayn1wayn1 Member Posts: 69
    I'm from Ma.also and i also have a 00 RX and we to went to Prince Edward Island with it last summer and it ran perfectly. I too came home from an 11hr drive and was not tired at all. This is one excellent vehicle.
  • ttc136ttc136 Member Posts: 17
    I was told to pay "Advertising Assessment Fee
    " from the dealer. quite mad about this item. have anybody also paid this fee ?
    any clue to get rid of it?
    thanks in advance!
  • garyk211garyk211 Member Posts: 7
    Pirelli Norseman snow tires mounted on rx 300 rims for sale.Almost new size lt 225/75r 16.
    e- mail or call Gary northern Calif. 530 233-8030 $125 each or best offer.
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    It depends on whether it is the actual fee the dealer is invoiced for or if they just tried to add an arbitrary fee to your purchase.
  • malhokcmalhokc Member Posts: 83
    Vibration Rattle:
    Some people have related this noise to be also coming from the glove box, particularly from the A/C air filter area. I had a similar problem. I took mine out and was surprised to see leaves, and so much dust. Anyway, people have mentioned that the filter sometimes rattles against the metal compartment. Putting a piece of electric tape has resolved this problem.

Thumping noise:
    Dealer finally replace the rear struts. The hollow thumping noise has disappeared. Thanks to all for their input.
  • plugnickleplugnickle Member Posts: 3
    I am 6-2 and have the problem.
  • mikey00mikey00 Member Posts: 462
    I know there have been a number of postings on this in both this forum and the highlander forum. Has anyone been able to solve this yet?
    I had a 2000RX and it was fine (no clicking). I traded it in for a 2001RX and then noticed the clicking. Both cars are exposed to the same temperature changes.
    I was in for the 1000 mile service yesterday and the service tech disassembled the sunroof, added some insulation and lubed it but I still heard it click a couple of times today.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Click...

My 92 LS has an automaticslly retracting antenna which would occassionally making a "clicking" noise for a short period immediately after starting the car. After I realized what was causing the noise I pretty much ignored it. I had to replace the antenna portion some years later and that seemed to cause the noise to go away.

Maybe your RX retractable antenna is doing the same thing?

Thump...

I removed the luggage "crossbars" from my 2000 Rx thinking it would make it look sleeker and "leaner", then a thumping noise, driving on rough gravel road, developed that seemed to be coming from the roof behind the skylite. When I re-installed the crossbars the thump disappeared.

Maybe a slight lack of structual integrity in the roof of the RX?
  • devlopperdevlopper Member Posts: 44
    After finally getting rid of a defect ridden '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee my 01 RX has just turned 1000 miles. I have NEVER had a car with so many rattles. So many that I don't know where to begin to look. I could not be more disappointed.

Also, can the door locks be programmed to auto-lock when say I put the car in drive or reach a certain speed?
    Well, since you are so disappointed why even bother with trying to program the door locks. I'd be taking the car back for refund.
  • joanziejoanzie Member Posts: 51
    Am I the only one with a 2001 RX without one rattle.? I have 3200 miles on it and it is the quietest car I have ever owned! Anyone else out there have a good one?
    Read back about 15 messages. You'll notice that tonychrys and I also have a rattle, squeak, clatter, thunder, etc. free '01 RX. I feel that the vast majority of owners fall into this category as well.

We're at ~4900 miles. Time to call up for the 5000 mile service.

-Craig
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    One rattle coming from A/C filter behind glovebox, same as reported by a few others. Piece of electrical tape between filter and metal frame should take care of it.

Otherwise, 12k miles in 7 months - more than my wife has driven any other vehicle. Why? Because she won't take my '98 LS400 instead, even though the RX is on a lease and the LS is purchased. That's how much she loves her RX - as does our Giant Schnauzer.

Remember that Lexus TV ad with one dog being thrown around in a truck-like SUV and then another dog loving the cargo area of the RX? Well, going from a '98 Mountaineer to the '01 RX provided that exact change for our 90# Schnauzer.

And, GTGT, if you don't believe me, you can talk to him.
    That's almost like "jumbo shrimp". Don't seem to make sense.

90#s... hmmm, me thinks he'd qualify for an attack Schnauzer!

I assume he's a pure bred, where do they make these things? (country of origin)
  • ravlravl Member Posts: 129
    Welp, we took the plunge yesterday and have a beeeuteeful black Silversport in our garage right now!
    One of the things I'm going to have trouble adjusting to is the lack of the auto locking/unlocking feature my Rav 4 had been equipped with. It was part of the Pursuit alarm that we installed. When you started the car with all the doors shut, the locks would engage. When you turned the car off, they would unlock. The RX doesn't do this and to be honest, I was quite surprised at the lack of this feature. We are having lojack installed and I see on the 'net one of their packages includes a remote keyless entry. I'm wondering if that includes the auto lock/unlock like my Pursuit alarm? tonychrys mentioned something about this being a dealer fix? Please advise as my husband's Grand Prix has this feature standard and both of us have become 'lazy' about having to lock/unlock the doors as it's being done for us.

Also, I'd like to ask tonychrys something...I was reading a thread from the beginning of the year and got to read your initial comments about the RX. Some of them were questioning features of the RX. As an example, you mentioned you didn't like the info screen, and the foot emergency brake. I'm curious if you have done a complete 180 with what you perceived early on as 'negatives' with this vehicle. You seem to be quite smitten now, so it was interesting to read your thought processes during your discovery phase of the car buying process.

TIA for any info about getting the RX into auto lock/unlock mode. It's a biggie in my book.
    I know exactly how you and your wife feel... we have a Grand Am with the same exact features. We've really become accustomed to the theatre entry/exit lighting, auto-locks at speed, unlock at park, etc.

Alas, I've yet to find a Lexus tech/SA that says the auto-lock is possible. I can't believe that a crappy GM car would have a convenience feature this otherwise wonderful vehicle doesn't. I've heard rumours that the Harrier (Japanese version of RX) can do it, so there still might be hope, but not much.

Unlike vehicle owners in other forums here, I don't see the world through rose-colored glasses. Everything is a trade-off, unless you have $$$$$ to buy the "perfect" vehicle. But the pluses outweighed the negatives when we made our decision, and trust me, we had a spreadsheet with all the pro's and con's of the vehicles we were considering.

To us, the Rex is almost perfect. If the following things were changed, it would be perfect:

LCD panel operation (both NAV and base model)-- this is ergonomically flawed. Period. And it stands out as flawed because everything else about the vehicle is right. I've written before exactly why I think this.

No steering wheel mounted radio controls-- I have these on my Grand Am and can't imagine driving 70+ mph without them. Convenience and safety. Plus, the fact the LCD/radio ergonomics are flawed makes even more a compelling reason to have them. I have a crazy idea on how to get this feature though (I'm a electrical/computer engineer), but I ain't talking about it... yet.

"In dash" CD Changer-- Lexus' definition of "in dash" is different than mine. I wish they had put one of those non-magazine 6-cd radio/changers in the dash like other manufacturers are doing. Could be worse: I buddy of mine just got a $100k Porsche... the CD changer is in the front trunk. Not what I call convenient.

Mirror memory-- to compliment the seat memory. Other Lexus models have this. Key Fob linked would be even sweeter.

That's it. You change those few things and IMHO you have a perfect vehicle. Not bad if you ask me.
  • priozerskpriozersk Member Posts: 4
    Hi All,

I am wondering what are the differences in driving RX 300 Silversport and regular RX?
    What that "euro-tuned sports suspension" mean in that case?

Thanks... Alex
    Alex,
    I just traded in my 2000RX for a 2001RX SilverSport. The ride seems to be about the same but the handling on curves etc. is greatly improved. Not that there is anything wrong with the standard RX. I was happy with the handling on it but the SilverSport improves it a little. Some other changes are same color paint top & bottom, painted cross bars, perforated leather seats(nice), brushed aluminum instead of wood inside. Some prefer the wood inside, others the brushed aluminum. For me it's a toss up.
    Don't forget the special badging and mats. It's an awesome looking vehicle.

Someone asked about paying an advertising. It was on the invoice out here in SoCal, so I paid it with no hassle. Mine was $424.

tonychrys, those features in the Prix/Grand Am *are* nice, huh?
    Same answer from this end. No go on the locks. Bummer...
    My Oldsmobile Alero which is a twin to the Grand Am has a tire pressure monitor and when the gas gets low not only does a light come on but it chimes 4 times. Nice, huh?
    That freakin' gas chime scares the heck out of us every time it goes off... and we've had the car for over 2 years! It's just such a piercing chime that gets your attention as yer cruising along, minding yer own business.
    Any other Lexus owners get one of these in the mail?

You supposedly get to test drive BMW, Caddy, Jag, Lex, Lincoln, and MB all at the same location. Mine is for the Yonkers Raceway, NY location. Anybody else going to this, might be a good excuse to have a "mini" Lexus meet.
    I'm curious what componenets make up the Lexus Premium Sound System with 6 cd changer in the glove box. Anyone know who the OEM manufacturer is?
    I couldn't find the speaker layout in the owner's manual and I've been unsuccessful in finding speaker number 7. My son says under the passenger seat--he could feel it. (or was the volume too high?) ;)
    Feel free to send me on a speaker hunt with clues. :)

I'm still blown away there's a Lexus in my garage. Wow.
  • pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    Your son is right, the "sub-woofer" is under the front passenger seat! This accounts for lack of adjustments on that seat.

Pete
    Oh goodie. I get to tell a 14 year old boy he's right. I see the dance of joy coming. So, if I contort my head under the backside, will I get a peek? I already tried a frontside attack but was greeted by a barricade.

Thanks for the response...even if I have to tell someone else they're right.... ;)
  • kmhkmh Member Posts: 143
    Wow. I learn something new everyday. I didn't know that the subwoofer was under the front passenger seat...

But to help about the manufacturer - on my '99 the manufacturer is Nakamichi (the names printed on the face plate near the stereo). And looking at the 2001 brochure the premium is also Nakamichi.
  • drummerboydrummerboy Member Posts: 30
    I bought my RX from Carsdirect.com. However, I did not purchase the extended warranty. At Carsdirect.com they offer 6 year/72000 mile warranty or 6 year/108000 mile warranty for $1,299 and $1,399, respectively. This doesn't seem like a good deal since my RX already has 4 years of warranty.
    Has anyone else purchased any type of extended warranty?? If so, how long is the warranty and how much is it? Should I get it, or is it just a waste of money?? Right now my RX is ready for the 2nd, 7,500 mile service. So far I've had no problems with the car.
  • tronsr1tronsr1 Member Posts: 149
    drummer boy,
    I suggest you go to the Town Hall "Finance,Warranty" Topic and scroll down to the extended warranty reviews. To make a long story short... It is advisable to get the Factory offered warranty. Third party warranties are "Questionable" and "ALWAYS" check with your dealer or whoever you are going to do service with... that they accept whatever you choose.
    From what I have read on RX300 topic, no one seems to have the extended warranty {or not a lot of them} as they believe the RX300 is one of the bulletproof vehicles as to a Good Life. If you intend to keep your vehicle for a long time and put a lot of mileage on same,then, perhaps, the extended warranty would be a good thing for you. Another recommendation is to take the $1000.00 and invest it over the 4 year period, and then you will have XXX amount of dollars to pay for any needed repairs {hopefully}.
    AAA and GEICO {if you are insured thru them} also have extended warranties, however; I always recommend the factory warranty as there is NO HASSLE with phone calls to an administrator and a sometime long waiting period for permission to repair whatever...plus some dealers and repair shops will not take some of the supposedly bigtime third party outfits.
    Read the posts as aforementined...and do your homework before takeing the plunge.
    Hope this helps!
    Tron
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    I believe Lexus and Toyota automobiles are among the most reliable on Earth. Having said that, I am somewhat concerned by the entries in the Town Hall Topic, "Engine sludge". If I were planning on keeping a RX300 for a long time as its sounds like you are, I would either start getting oil changes in the 3,500 to 5,000 mile area with regular oil, or upgrade to synthetic oil if you don't have time for the more frequent changes.
    I understand that this is more money, but I would consider taking the money you were going to spend on an extended warranty, and putting it towards more frequent oil changes. Good luck!
    Take it in for a refund. Are you serious? Do you think it would be that easy? I have an appointment next Friday for the first checkup and I have the defects listed for them to check. I'm not sure if you are just being sarcastic or attempting to be helpful.

Can anyone else help on the door locks?
  • joanziejoanzie Member Posts: 51
    When I brought my Rx 300 in for it's first check-up I asked them what brand of stereo was in the car, cd changer and etc. and he said mine is a Pioneer, does this mean some are different? I have everything on the car but the nav. system, wood wheel,moon roof,Premium Plus package.
    Ok folks, here's the low-down.

Two different stereo systems are available on the MY2001 Rex.

1. Premium Sound System: This is the system that normally comes with the vehicle. This is the system that is in 99.9% of the MY2001 Rex's on the U.S. roads.

2. Nakamichi Sound system: This is an option on MY2001 models. If you get this, you can't get Nav. Not to insult anyone, but for the extra you are paying, it's just not worth it. Ask any who's listen to both. This system is such a non-issue in terms of sales that it's very hard to find on U.S. models. Dealers don't even try to push it. The good news is that the Mark Levison Sound System will be made available instead of the "Nak upgrade" for MY2002 or 2003.

Now for the burning question: what is the OEM brand of the Premium Sound System? I can definitely say it's one of two through my research so far. It's either Pioneer or Fujitsu-Ten (makers of the Eclipse brand). It's important that I find out for sure because this will determine the computer interface on the audio system and possibly allow one to "add features".
    Has it been your experience that Lexus will refund purchase price because of rattles?
    You caught a glimpse of my sarcastic side, and for that I apologize if I offended. But your message almost made it sound like your vehicle was rattlin' and rollin' as you drive. If it was actually that noisy (and any brand of vehicle) then that means that the dealer was incompetent and did not do a proper delivery prep process. Undesirable GM dealers are notorius for this, I could tell you stories about pieces of the interior simply falling off.

The Rex should be rattle free. I've never owned a vehicle in this class (SUV) that was so quiet. I believe you said you're comming off of a JGCL. Let me tell you something, I almost bought one of those POS until some great folks here at Town Hall encouraged me to do some more research. And the more I did my own research, the more I knew the Rex was right for my family. I could have saved money by buying the JGCL, but I don't regret getting the Rex. It is simply a joy to own, from product quality to safety to dealer service. At least that's my experience.

If the dealer visit can't resolve your problems, please report back here and I'm sure enough of us here can put our heads together to help you.

Good luck.
  • wegstereowegstereo Member Posts: 9
    Can anyone tell me where to get info on changing speakers with regard to the
    "premium" package? I'm thinking of swapping out the factory speakers for something
    of higher quality.

Not sure if I want to screw around with the sub though. Maybe add another 10"er to the
    trunk and swap out the door speakers. Maybe add a small amp as well. Brand and
    model info would make me tingly all over!

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    I haven't given up hope in accomplishing this. If I am succesful, I'll be sure to post it here. The only choice, since the dealer said it's not possible for them, is to find out if the LoJack we're installing will equip the car with this function. One of their packages includes remote keyless entry. Now, I know the RX is already equipped with this, but on my RAV4, we had a Pursuit alarm installed and it too, had an option of 'remote keyless entry', which also included the locks engaging with engine turn on and disengaging with engine shut off. It's a very important feature, IMO and I'm really astonished the RX cannot be fitted by the dealer to do it. If LoJack lets me down, I'm even considering contacting Toyota to see if their Pursuit alarm system allows for only remote keyless entry installs.
    I did come off of a Grand Cherokee. After a 13 month fight, I was refunded my purchase price. I also thank this forum for the valuable information and indeed even the name of an attorney.

I'm in the midwest and since delivery in late June we've had a real heat spell. (It's with you now I believe) Anyway, this week we started having cooler mornings with an ambient of about 65 f. So, my ride into work each morning is quite depressing. As the car sits in the sun all day and warms, it is solid on the drive home. My appointment is in the morning and I can only hope that the rattles are there that morning for them to hear or gone forever.

One thing I'll say about that Jeep, in the two years I owned it it was solid as a rock. Never did have or develop a rattle. Of course I like the RX much better but I hope you can understand my frustration when these awful rattle started.
    Trust me on this, the Rex is very "hackable" there is a wonderful in-vehicle LAN (local area network) that is used in a lot of Toyotas. Last time I checked, there was a group of Prius owners over at Yahoo Clubs that were developing their own tools to "sniff" the LAN for vehicle commands. I just wish I had more time to devote to this.

Sorry for all the computer jargon.
  • plugnickleplugnickle Member Posts: 3
    I pulled on to the why. Got up to about 40mph. It sounded like all tires were flat, I stoped no flat tires. I started again no vibration. Any one had this problem? 01 FAD