Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguars Series III

bob344bob344 Member Posts: 3
edited April 2014 in Jaguar
Mr Shipwright. I have read your responses to
questions asked concerning these car's plus the V12
version. Your replies were full of incorrect and
totally misleading information.ie stake down kits
are for holding the valve guides in place, v12
engines should be avoided, Jags are an endless
money pit. Parhaps it would be nice if you took the
time to educated yourself about these cars before
undertaking the task of advising people about them.
Judging by your replies so far, you have shown
beyond any doubt that you know absolutely nothing
about them.

Comments

• rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    The V-12 is a good engine-when running ;-)

As far as the stakedown kit being for Valve guides, I know its called a "Tappet guide stakedown kit," but aren't tappet guides and valve guides pretty much the same? (Educate the uninlightened [mainly being me]).

That being said, I do intend to get one of these cars as soon as finances allow, although with an XK engine rather than the V-12. The idea of 12 cylinders is appealing, but I'm not sure I'm ready for that much Jaguar "quirkiness." Besides, I like 4 doors and the XJ12's are almost impossible to find in this country (USA). (Hey, I know I'm probably the only guy under 30 alive that prefers 4 doors, but there's no law says a sedan has to be boring ;-)
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I don't recall ever make such blanket generalizations...perhaps you are confusing my comments with others.

Yes, I do offer cautionary advice on the older Jaguars, and I feel as host this is a good service to "newbies" who may not know the ins and outs of older Jaguars as perhaps you do.

As for my opinions, I consult frequently with other expert sources, so all I can say is that if they are all wrong, feel free to tell them all you know:

Michael Cook, Illustrated Jaguar Buyer's Guide, especially comments on page 6 on cost of maintenance and repair, comments on page 7 on "ratings" of various models,comments page 140 on why not to buy 1988 and 89 models, reliability problems with the XJS, page 111, quality improvement measures taken by the factory in 1990, page 141, and finally, factory issuance of longer warranties to bolster public image, page 143.

Also of interest is the very detailed "Classic Car" article on Jaguar Sedans from November 1996, which discusses the V12's "daunting complexity".

Road and Track's November 1985 article on 69-79 Series I & II XJ6s, written by Peter Bohr, is very good and carefully explains pros and cons of these particular cars and interviews various experts in the US about weak points. Mentioned were cooling systems, brakes, steering box and climate control. The article concludes "No, it's not inexpensive to keep a Jaguar purring. But then, who said romance was cheap?"

Additional info comes from Michael Duffey, who writes for Sports Car Market Magazine, and analysis by Jacques Duval, in his annual "New Car Report" book. He comments: "Jaguars were certainly desirable from the outset, but they were nothing sort of insufferable after a few months of cohabitation" (speaking of 80s and early 90s models) As for the 1996 models he had been testing, he says "while it's still too early to give the new Jaguars a better reliability rating, it's fair to point out that the finishing shows very close attention to detail:.

Anyway, the list goes on and on, but I'm only mentioning these to you to assure you that I don't just pull information out of a hat.

Of course, I could be wrong about something and welcome correction. But there really is tons of documentation to support Jaguar's previously bad reputation on older cars. Please don't blame me, I didn't start it.
  • bob344bob344 Member Posts: 3
    Mr shiftright Correct me if I am wrong but the topic of conversation was the Jaguar Series III the series I and II were totally different than the series III so was the XJ40 which was sold with the XJ6 badge. Judging by the advise you were offering and the experts you have quoted apparently none of you are aware there is a major difference between these models. The series III that you so readily willing to condemn was one of the finest cars that Jaguar produced. The finest testament to this car is that many of the body lines and mechanical components have been copied into even the latest cars. I presently own 2 series III cars 85/86 and one is my every day driver.It has 145,000Klms on the engine and I drive 314Klms each day to my office and back. I service this car regularly and it does not cost me any more to maintain and run than the Buick leSabre I also own. However the Jaguar has the bonus of being an extremely nice car to drive.
    regards Bob.
    Yes, but you are just one person with one person's opinion. The weight of the total information available suggests plenty to worry about on these cars. Mr. Cook unequivocably recommends not to buy the 1988/89 models. Perhaps the majority of Americans do not perform maintenance as fastidiously as you, or perhaps do not have access to expert mechanics as you might. Whatever the reason, these cars, including the Series III, have disappointed plenty of people. I have two dealers friends, who own very large exotic car dealerships, who won't even put these 80s Jaguars on their lots. I think such reservations from experienced dealers, the printed warnings of highly skilled Jaguar experts, and the depressed prices for these cars, all indicate that the problems are not imaginary.

But I agree, they are nice looking and pleasant to drive, you'll get no argument from me on those points. As for reliability, this often depends on the owner...I have taken cars with notoriously bad reputations on long trips with no problem, but I'm pretty handy with cars and don't need to rely on mechanics or the dealerships. But I wouldn't recommend the cars I drive to the average person, because I think they wouldn't work out for them.
  • bob344bob344 Member Posts: 3
    Once again you insist in proclaiming your lack of Knowledge. The series III car was manufactured from 79 to 88 in the form of the XJ6 and Sovereign the V12 was continued on in the form of the Series III for a few extra years. The 88/89/90 cars that you keep quoting are totally different to the Series III even the power train was different they were XJ40 cars. Jaguar experienced problems with these cars and you and your self proclaimed experts are ready to condemn the complete line of Jaguars. Because Ford had problems with the Edsal does that mean that no Ford product could ever be considered good.
    I think I'm about done with being called ignorant in every post. I'll tell you what...I'll read up on my Jaguars, just to see if I've missed anything from my list of ignorant experts and their ignorant books, and you could plan on enjoying Town Hall a lot more by reading up on the Rules of Courtesy in online discussions. Thanks for listening and enjoy your cars.

Host
  • mbanville88mbanville88 Member Posts: 1
    I have been looking into getting a new car and I have been thinking about purchasing a Jaguar. This car will be a daily driver. The main reason I am writing is I am relying on current Jag owners and fans with more working knowledge of these cars than I do for some purcasing direction. I have heard all the horror stories of Jag quality and their quirky nature. I have always been good with vehicle mainteance, but I have usually owned relatively new cars. I am worried more of poor maintenance by the prior owner. If I buy a Jag I'm looking into the early 90's. In particular, a '91 XJ6 Soverign. The miles are low for the year, but I am worried about a nine year old Jaguar. I will appreciate any advice that anyone has on good Jaguars from this era and what to look for (or look out for) in Jas from this era. Thanks for all you help!
  • lnava43lnava43 Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking into buying a'97 xk8 convertible. Is this a good car?
    It's it worth paying 38gs?
    These are modern car questions...you need to go to the appropriate boards, either Sedans or Sportscars for the XK8.

Host
  • cats8cats8 Member Posts: 22
    how fast do the 1990 Jaguar go. What is the top speed on the speedometor on the 1990 jaguar. is it 85 or 120 or 140. if you now email me at mkitty@inreach.com or post it. ok!
    You might try asking this in the Sedans Board. This Board is for classics, i.e., older cars.

Host
  • rspark1rspark1 Member Posts: 1
    (With a courteous note to Mr. Shiftright: the Edmunds page about the 92 XJ6 Sovereign links directly into this discussion stream - sorry to interrupt but maybe Edmunds should update the link - I cannot find the link you refer to).

ANYWAY. Back to mbanville88 about that 91 Sovereign. I bought a 92 Sovereign last June and it has been nothing but delightful. I do maintain it regularly. She gets an oil change EVERY 3,000 miles for about $65. I have had the bearings re packed ($145). Belts, hoses, air filter (approx $110 plus labor of $128 (probably got ripped off there)). Electronic control module to fix the trip computer and cruise control for $800 (yikes - but that was optional really). New set of beautiful Pirellis for about $600. New Alpine CD changer for $400. Hand wash/wax for $70 a month. The finish is so smooth you can swim right into it.

I have bulb failures in the tail lights so frequently that I keep 5 or 6 handy to change out when they go (50 cents a piece). It drives me crazy to have anything on that car that does not work. Also, the hydraulic system has a leak somewhere that will have to be fixed (Aye carumba!). I keep an extra bottle of HSMO (hydraulic system mineral oil) in the car so I can top it off if necessary. My mechanic doesn't think its too much of a problem.

Find yourself a good mechanic, buy him a bottle of scotch and a box of cigars and he'll be there when you need him.

OK, its a money pit. But reliable and beautiful. Turns heads and makes my heart pound. If the car you are looking at has a well documented service history as mine did you're in for a real treat. And as for speed, if you pass a Jag on the freeway its because you were allowed to.
  • cats8cats8 Member Posts: 22
    how fast do the 1990 Jaguar go. What is the top speed on the
    speedometor on the 1990 jaguar. is it 85 or 120 or 140. if you know
    email me at mkitty@inreach.com or post it. ok!
    Do the 1990 Jaguar have a rpm gauge? if so email me at mkitty@inreach.com
    do the 1990 Jaguar have abs brakes? and is the Jaguar a automatic? if so email me at mkitty@inreach
    Do the 1990 Jaguar have air bags? and what year did they put air bags in Jaguars.
  • zerohpzerohp Member Posts: 1
    1990 xj series speedos went to 160mph although i doubt they'll do that. maybe 140.they do have a tach that redlines at 5500rpm and goes to 7000rpm ..never seen a manual trans. jag. they do have abs brakes. at least my xj6vdp does. and no to the air bags. i think they came in about 1995.
  • tajdogtajdog Member Posts: 2
    Shifty, I tried to find some info and feedback about a 94 vanden plas I'm thinking of buying. When I went to get the TMV, edmunds provides a link to this site, so that may be why so many "sedan" questions about newer cars keep popping up here.
  • edoddedodd Member Posts: 5
    -The first Jaguar sedans to have a driver's side air bag were the 1993 XJ6 and 1993 Van den Pals. A passenger side was added for the 1994 model year.
    -The Series III Sedan was introduced in the US during the 1979 model year in 6 cyl. and 12 cyl. form. Not many 1979 Series III XJ6's were sold in the US and only a handful of 1979 XJ12s made it across the Atlantic. Of course, no 12 cyl. Sedans were imported by Jaguar for the 1980-1993 model years. The last Series III model sold in the US was a 1987 model and in late 1987, the '88 "new" XJ6 (internally referred to as the XJ40) was offered for sale. Generally, the '88 and '89 model year cars experienced quite a few problems but by the 1990 model year quality was rapidly improving. As with all cars of these ages, a neglected example with drain your bank account quite hastily, but a well maintained car (especially one that has had many of the original design flaws fixed) can be a joy to own.
  • edoddedodd Member Posts: 5
    Should be "Vanden Plas" not "Van den Pals", a pox on spellcheck!
  • larbar1larbar1 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering buying a '95 XJS Convertible with the V12 with 44000 miles. I think this may be a future classic as it is the last xjs with a V12 (96 was last XJS but 6 cyl. only). I wonder if these last V12's were as much trouble as the pre-1990 ones?
    Also any comments as to its future value. Any one have production breakout for 1995 XJS? How many V12 coupes & Conv. as well as 6 cyl production?
  • oudmatieoudmatie Member Posts: 1
    I have the opportunity to purchase a beautifully restored 1985 Series III model. (New paint, engine, transmission, air.) I am not mechanically minded but do take care of my car and am willing to check fluids etc and etc. Should I run the opposite way? What price should I think of paying? Any advice? It is a dream car!
This discussion has been closed.