Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• davieboy1davieboy1 Member Posts: 14
    Just drove away with 2001 rx300.
    Love the car, although my wife loves it more
    2 problems so far

Homelink and code dodger will not program. Is there a special way to program. I tried both ways in the manual, neither work.

Is anyone else having problems with the front seat belt sticking between the seat and the side between the doors. Also somewhat difficult to engage the seat belt in the center when first put it in place.

Thanks.
  • izabelajohnizabelajohn Member Posts: 38
    There were posts a while ago regarding homelink programing and there was a solution there but I can't remember what it was. You'll need to search for it unless someone offers the solution again.
    As to seatbelts getting stuck - I am assuming you are talking about the buckle being stuck sideways between the door pillar and the seat. I have that problem and a lot of people posting here also indicated that. I think it's a design flaw and have learned to hold on to the seatbelt when unbuckling and sort of guide it manually into place. One solution that I think would work (although I haven't tried it myself) is to move the plastic button that prevents the buckle from sliding down on the seatbelt up. This way the buckle will be up higher on the belt and above the narrow spot between the pillar and the seat. In my car both sides (driver and passenger) get stuck. I think it is a Toyota design problem because the same thing happened in my Corrola. Yup, that's what I drove before getting the RX ;-)
  • edco1edco1 Member Posts: 4
    Tonychrys (and anyone else in the NJ area):
    After two chips on my 2001 RX, I've decided to invest in the film treatment.

Does anyone know who/where in the NJ area are "experts" to do this, as I have read that there is a technique to doing it right..?

Also, has anyone replaced the speakers in the front doors..? Mine have a annoying Buzz, and I'd like to find out how easy/difficult it is to get the grills off and any wiring issues.

Also, any recommendations for replacements would be appreciated.

Thanks,

ED in NJ
  • tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    Once again, the - all of a sudden - excessive drinking habites of my Rex make me think.

We took a 200 mile roundtrip today (to an awesome Mopar-show near Atlanta), all Interstate, with an average of 18.5 mpg at 75-85 mph. This reinforces my assumption that something has changed within my car.

I filled up at a different station (different brand, too), to eliminate this as the source of the problem. On prior trips, my gas mileage was always between 19 and 19.5, my wife's usually above 20 mpg (?). Now even she can't get beyond 20 mpg any more.

What are feasible reasons?

Tire pressure - checked
    Fuel quality - switched with no improvement
    Mechanical binding - doesn't feel like it
    Freshly painted pass. door adding to drag - not probable
    Wife put on weight - *blush*, peace
    My weight - get outta here...
    Controller (ECU) malfunction - who can be trusted with a diagnose?

Well, maybe I should simply swing by the dealer to hear what they can come up with as a reason.

Still hearing Hemis scream Tarik
  • bentwrenchbentwrench Member Posts: 27
    I would sure question whether the problem is the speakers. Especially if both are buzzing.
  • tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    Actually, the one point you made is a good one: Controller (ECU) malfunction. Well, not neccessarily the ECU itself, but the idea of the Lexus tech plugging the diag unit into the vehicle and seeing if there are any trouble codes is a great idea. Not every trouble code will activate an idiot light on the dash. Any number of items that control air flow, spark timing, etc. will effect milage (I'm sure you know that already being a car enthuisiast).

Another suggestion is to have them clear/flash the transmission ROM. If you remember, the Rex has a "learning" transmission that will adapt the shift points to the driver's habit. I'm not 100% on this, but it might be that after a certain amount of miles it stops adjusting itself. I've heard of folks resetting the transmission after break-in period and MPG/accelartion improved.

Keeping my fingers crossed TC
    Try this:

Go to http://www.stongard.com/sgcontent/where_get.asp

Next select either a mail order or wholesale distributor. I can tell you that one company, Manchester Honda in CT, might be close to you.

Call the distributors and ask them for a recommended installer in your area. Any auto shop that does good window tinting can install Stongard since many of the techniques are identical.

Good luck.

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Speakers: don't bother, any buzzing noise in your speakers is coming from the speaker driver, the amplifier. Speakers are passive devices.

Gas mileage: differential tire pressure front vs rear? Viscous clutch would burn a lot of energy trying to match up turning rate.

Stonegard film: Why bother, what are you going to do with the chips and scratches around the wheel wells? Just consider them badges of honor from the (road) wars.
  • dreamwinddreamwind Member Posts: 44
    In 2 years, I will finally get rid of my boring Camry and get this sweet luxury SUV. 'Till then, hasta la vista baby.
  • ravlravl Member Posts: 129
    When I've got the tunes cranked and the speakers in the door start to buzz, I turn the mid range setting down and it helps a bit. If someone has discovered a speaker that won't buzz at high volumes, please post about it.

Even *with* the buzz, it's still one of the most, if not *the* most, awesome sounding sound systems I've ever experienced stock in a car. Everyone who's heard it says it's the best they've heard too. What's not to love about those cute little tweeter speakers staring at you?!
  • frank09frank09 Member Posts: 14
    kmh....nice photos. I had an even worse case. Something bigger than our 2000 RX300 (Navigator, Expedition, etc) slammed their driver's side door into our passenger door, leaving an 8" vertical crease between the door handle and mirror, running downwards, from about door handle height, through the curvature of the door. I was very leery of the PDR procees having read stories about rust appearing later on. This due to the massaging out of the dent from the rear and potential for wearing off of protective coating.

Our local Lexus dealer (Smithtown, NY) assured me that this was not an issue because Lexus' sheetmetal is galvanized. The estimate for success in this case was 96% because the horizontal crash bar is located just behind the door curvature, making access difficult. I decided to go f/it at the dealership figuring the guy who comes to do it works on Lexus all the time so he would have more experience in how the metal reacts.

When I returned in (2) hrs I was absolutely amazed and surprised to find that the crease was 100% gone...I mean from any angle and any lighting that crease was completely removed! Made a believer out of me. (cost was cheap I thought @ $125.00) Of course, like any process, the ability of the person doing the job can vary. (we've all seen good and bad pin stripers). In this case, I certainly had one of the best!

I only have the "after" photo, so here it is :

If you are not familiar w/the process just do a search w/your favorite search engine (I like "google") enter "PDR" and there will be many informative sites returned.
  • kmhkmh Member Posts: 143
    Nice to see it turned out well for you, too!

The only real solution is for people to be more considerate of each other's property (i.e. vehicles) - no matter what anyone drives.

But I'm so impressed by the work, I'm taking my other vehicle next week to have the same work done again!
    I wonder...

The audio in my 92 LS would sometimes begin to "rumble" and I noticed that it only did this on the CD that was in slot #1.

Finally realized it was the trunk mounted woofer "talking" to the CD transport. Turning down the bass slightly seemed to alleviate the problem.

If your speakers only buzz at high volumes maybe the door speaker, or the woofer mounted under the passenger seat, is "talking" to the nearby CD transport in the glove box.

In the days of vacuum tubes it wasn't at all unusual for a tube to become sensitive to vibration and create a positive feedback link via sound waves. Don't know what in a CD transport might be sensitive to sound (or magnetic waves from a powerfully driven woofer).
  • dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    I'm considering an RX300. Last October I traded out of an Expedition (which I liked except for the llmpg) into a Sienna XLE. The $32k Toyota is a perfectly fine vehicle although the interior just doesn't feel tied down. In March my wife got an ES300. What a revelation....the difference between a Toyota and a Lexus. While there's much in common including the same basic engine and drive train, I suppose God is in the details. My Toyota is very good but the Lexus is great.
    I never even test-drove an RX300 when I bought the Toyota. My impression based on looks alone was the car was too small. The darn thing looks tiny maybe due to that kinda strange, high belt line. Anyhow, now I'm jealous each morning as my wife zooms off in her piece-of-granite, amazingly quiet Lexus. I'm looking at the specs for the RX300 and it certainly looks bigger on paper than I took it to be....75 cubic feet max cargo is close enough to respectable, bigger than Jeep GC and not that much smaller than widely acknowledged, generous Explorer @ 88.
    Do you RX owners find the Lexus tall and wide enough to actually carry stuff....or is it just a tallish wagon, nice for luggage but too small to carry a dishwasher home from Home Depot? I don't see much on this thread complaining about the small size. Not long ago when Jeep GC carried it's spare in the back, you read nothing but complaints about the lack of space in the rear. Any comments?
    Uesd to carry garbage and trash in the back of our Jeep cherokees, an 85 and a 92, wife said no more once we traded up to the RX. Otherwise cargo space has not been a problem.
  • drummerboydrummerboy Member Posts: 30
    I don't think the RX has a lot of cargo room compared to other mid-size SUVs. However, it does offer a lot of passenger room... especially rear leg room. For general purpose, the RX is definitely big enough. If you need to carry a dishwasher home from Home Depot, you can always lower the back seats and turn your RX into a truck. I definitely don't recommend carrying garbage and trash in the back... the car is too NICE!! I feel guilty for eating in the car.
  • sathomasgasathomasga Member Posts: 10
    Cargo space hasn't been a problem for me, and I used to pack a Land Rover Discovery to the gills. (Spare tire in the RX is under the floor of the cargo space; as I recall, the Jeeps mounted it vertically behind the wheel well. That would at least give the perception of taking up a lot more space.) I do wish the RX had an interior bike rack like the Xterra, Pathfinder/QX45.

The RX seems more weight-limited rather than size-limited. I've seen various numbers on load capacity, but they seem to cluster around 850 lbs. That's people and luggage, so you probably don't want to take five beefy guys fishing in an RX.
  • lordkamalordkama Member Posts: 23
    Hello!

Was wondering what you all think about the Lexus Platinum extended warranty: 6/100,000 miles for $1725. Finance person tried to sell it to us and said it must be purchased within the 1st 30 days of owning the car. I went to Lexus web site and it said warranty can be purchased within 3 yrs and 36,000 miles. I am of the understanding this is an Exclusionary warrranty.

1. Is it worth it?
    2. Can the price be negotiated?

Thanks for your help!!
  • rckrausrckraus Member Posts: 5
    I had the same buzzing in the speakers on my 2001 RX. The dealer said that there were several service bulletins on this. They took care of it (I'm not sure what was actually done) and the speakers are fine now.
  • mikey00mikey00 Member Posts: 462
    In regard to your request for an interior bike rack, I used a suggestion from a previous post on this forum. I took a piece of 1/2" plywood (almost any wood will do)and laid the rear mat on it and drew an outline of the shape behind the rear wheel wells. I then used a sabre saw to cut the shape. You now have a piece of wood that fits behind the rear wheel wells and locks in place due to it's shape. I used an old can of grill spray paint to spray the wood so it matched the interior. Then mount 2 bike front fork mounts on the wood. Back the bikes into the cargo area and lock the front forks onto the mounts. This my preferred method of transporting 2 bikes when I don't also have a lot of cargo. Plus the bikes are inside secure and dry.
    For those times when I must transport more than 2 bikes or need the cargo area, I use a Yakima bike rack attached to the tow hitch.
  • bkhaibkhai Member Posts: 2
    Can someone let me know where can I get a hold of a '99 repair manual. Fog lights needs to be replace.
  • pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    I have a copy from which I could Xerox the pertinent section if desired. There are four pages covering the fog light system but it really doesn't say how to replace them, only gives diagnostic instructions. This is not a DIY publication by any stretch of the imagination. If you want copies of those pages email me with your fax number or snail mail address and I'll forward them, unable to attach to email. You could also purchase the Repair Manual from: www.irontoad.com

Pete
  • ucsdsigucsdsig Member Posts: 10
    lordkama -

1. Is it worth it? That all depends on how long you intend to keep your car. If its for the long haul, over 6 years, then it may be a good idea. Although Lexus has a great reliability record, just one major repair will make you wish you purchasd the extended warranty. Its nice to have that piece of mind. Also, does your RX have the nav system? If so, then the platinum warranty would be nice, since it covers the stereo and nav.

2) Can the price be negotiated? Yes. When my sister purchased her 2001 RX, the finance manager tried to sell her the platinum warranty for $2200! Needless to say, she declined and I called the dealership where I get my GS serviced. The finance manager offered the same warranty for $1500. I had almost 35,000 miles on my GS when I purchased the warranty. Your finance managers statement that it must be purchased w/in 30 days is BS. I'd call around for a better price. Good luck
  • ctk1ctk1 Member Posts: 79
    Does anyone what website to buy oil, air filter for Lexus RX300 Silversport model year 2001 with low price ? I check at my local dealer in MA. Oil filter cost about $10.00 each after $2.00 discount.

Thanks
  • pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    Try: www.irontoad.com

Pete
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Glad to see that you're still posting. Hopefully none of your friends or family were involved.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    ...my sister in COlorado called my wife hysterically wondering where my mother and I were. I use to work at the World Financial Center (at the foot of the twin towers) and I guess she didn't know I changed jobs.

I'm bascially numb. It's like a bad dream...
  • silly1040silly1040 Member Posts: 48
    Ouch, that's way too much money.

I just checked www.1sourceautowarranty.com
    rx300 2wd with 1000 miles in Colorado is
    $1,025 for 10 YEARS or 100,000 and NO DEDUCTIBLE.

You can check more on warranty companies at edmunds finance/warranty/insurance.
  • samangsamang Member Posts: 43
    Anyone have info on the 2003 RX300? Thanks.
  • samangsamang Member Posts: 43
    The site you got this photo from is totally unreliable. He's pulled stunts like this before.
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    I hope that's not it!
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Thanks!
    Here's a hint folks... it's the front of the new ES300 grafted onto the present RX300. An old digital photo trick.

Just like in investing, do your own due diligence.
  • tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    ...TC, am I glad to hear from you. I was out of town for three days, and now this! It is all still beyond my comprehension; sadness, emptyness, and anger prevail.

No chance yet to see my friendly dealer on the gas mileage problem, but hopefully early naxt week I'll have an opportunity.

Later,

Tarik
    Things have been very different around here (my area). I was unable to go home for about 36 hours after the attack due to locked down bridges and tunnels. Many folks ended up sleeping in their cars on the highway from what I've been hearing. I didn't have the Rex that day so I wasn't looking forward to that... I luckily found a hotel room near my office.

Let us know how the dealer visit goes.

Praying for those not found yet TC
  • genjiigenjii Member Posts: 3
    Lisa
    Hi!! I live in Ga. also and having leased two Lexus's the same day back in '96, I can assure you that you can definitely get a better price in Atlanta. This was back when the GS300 was HOT, HOT and even being a certified car, they wouldn't give an inch. The pricing was more rigid then and the GS was difficult to find (certified, that is), but I'd strongly advise you to check Priceline, as the guys here will attest to, and compare prices elsewhere.
    Happy shopping!!:)
  • genjiigenjii Member Posts: 3
    Hello everyone:)
    Like others, I've followed the engaging and informative conversations and advise on this wonderful forum for quite some time. Having owned two Lexus's before-selling us on Lexus suv's isn't necessary. However, my family is moving to the Western NC mountains soon. We will definitely need an AWD vehicle as there are many steep slopes and switchbacks (incredibly sharp curves for those not knowing "mtn-eeze"!) Also, there are some gravel roads I would have to travel over at times. Will the Rex AWD give me the confidence and traction I'll need to travel these roads and condition daily? Our home will be at 5,000 ft above sealevel (what a view). I am leaning to the LX470 for more room and a little more size as we have three teenagers and two dogs; however, hubby is leaning towards the Rex as a scoot about town vehicle. We have a LS430 for longdistance travel; and two teens have their own cars already, so packing us all in isn't an issue.
    Whew...sorry for the wordiness, but can ya give me some advice out there??? I love the style of the BMW suv, but don't like what I'm reading about them.
    HELP!!
    If you buy the RX my recommendation would be to buy at least one really good, expensive, set of tire chains. I have owned a 2000 RX and now own a 2001. Upgraded to the 2001 because I felt the addition of VSC and Trac would bring the RX AWD performance closer to what might be needed in truly adverse road conditions as might exist on some of the mountain passes here in the Pacific Northwest in the wintertime.

The LX has a much better AWD setup, but I would still buy the chains just in case.

Since the RX is basically a FWD vehicle, driving downhill on a slippery roadbed will likely be your greatest challenge. I think I have read where the RX will automatically shift into overdrive (if "cruise" is off, to help overcome most of the adverse affects from engine "braking" on the front wheels) when the engine is idling and the vehicle is still moving at significant speed. You can sometimes help matters even more by shifting into neutral in these circumstances.
  • gs3_4megs3_4me Member Posts: 9
    Hi everyone,

My gf decided to go with the 99RX over the new Highlander, and were able to get the price much lower than the original asking price. However, she wants to change the rear tailights.

While she does like the new (2001) look, she actually prefers the 99/00 set up. Problem is that she wants to change the red color surrounding the lights to anything other than RED.

Rather than use her current assembly, I was hoping to get my hands on some used ones that are no longer needed by someone on the board here. Do you think it's possible to change the color?
    Saw an old friend of mine last night that swears he saw the new RX300 driving around in Torrance. The way he described it (lower grill, sloping hood, larger, drawn back headlights), that pic may be representative of the direction the revised RX is heading... I should tell him to keep a camera with him to take a shot if he ever sees it again. :)
    I was going to recommend the following thread at ClubLexus http://www.clublexus.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18641

But it seems you have already posted there, so you have your answer already.

Thanks tonychrys,

At least I know I can always go the 2001 light route, though I'm sure there's a way to open the assembly, change the color, close, seal, and remount on the car... might be cool if the red were black (cars black), with the chrome rings around the lights and all.

anybody on here have some old 99 lights laying around???
    We took the RX300 back up to Bellingham yesterday. Everything with the Nav worked fine until we were within a mile or so of our final destination in south Bellingham. Just as we left I5 the voice came on and said sorry, use distance and directional guidance now.

The STRANGE part.

Later in the day I was in North Bellingham and needed to get to an address east of lake whatcom. When I started the system the voice came on and immediately informed me that there would be gaps in the map coverage and I would need to use distance and directional guidance only to get through these areas.

Why the difference? There was a gap in coverage in both cases, why the advance warning in one case and not the other?
  • fantomfantom Member Posts: 211
    <<<cause the high pitch whispering noise>>>

Could it be that my wife is in your passenger seat?

Sorry ctk1, but I couldn't control myself 8<)

BTW, Recently put Bridgestone H/L tires on our Rex and the ride is much more controlled and firmer, if not a bit noisier. Made a world of positive difference for us.
  • sirfilesirfile Member Posts: 42
    There appears to be quite a bit of confusion regarding the AWD system of the RX. Several posts to the RX forum, and others, have referred to the RX AWD as basically a front wheel drive. Professional reviewers have provided conflicting descriptions of the systems and the correct operation.

The Highlander is produced in the same plant in Japan as the RX, and utilizes the same engine, transmission, and all-wheel drive components. In the technical manuals for the HL, the drive system is referred to as:

"A full-time 4WD system which transfers drive power to all four wheels at all times and is fitted with a center differential that has been adopted to achieve a high level of stability and driveability on various road conditions.

Transfer Path

The drive power is transferred from the transaxle to the center differential and to the rear wheels by the transfer [case]. These distributed two sources of drive power are then transferred to the inside [connected to the front wheels] and outside [connected to the rear wheels] of the viscous coupling and if any difference in rotating speed arises between them, thereby achieving the limited slip effect."

[Translations sometimes contain grammatical errors].

A limited slip rear differential is available as an option on the HL but not offered if the vehicle is equipped with VSC.

Looking at the drivetrain schematics and reading the description above, it appears that the RX and the HL have an all-wheel drive system that sends equal power to both front and rear differentials, unless there is a loss of traction at either axle. Then, the viscous coupling acts as a limited slip device, and will instantaneously bias the power flow to the axle with the most traction. As in any drive system, an open differential will cause power to be transferred to the wheel that has lost traction [we all remember the old rear-wheel drive vehicles that sat still with the right rear wheel spinning].

The Tracs [traction control] system available in the HL and RX utilizes the ABS brake system to apply braking to any wheel that loses traction, and allows power to be transferred to another wheel, and prevents wheels from spinning uncontrollably.

If any RX or HL fans have corrections to these thoughts or additional information related to the AWD systems, please let us all know. My apologies for reproducing language from the manual but hopefully it helps to clarify the facts and invite discussion.

Thanks!
    There is no confusion, it operates exactly like you described. Every other person in the world seems to realize this except for one person in this forum (not you). Enough said.
    If Trac works to keep any wheel losing traction from spinning how does the viscous clutch sense a differential turning rate and tighten up?

Even Lexus admits that the Trac system is electronically implemented and therefore much faster acting than the viscous clutch.

Transfer Path.

Read it yourself.

If this vehicle were truly AWD the input to the viscous clutch(es) would be from the transaxle, not "connected to the front wheels", and there would be two outputs from the viscous clutch(es), one to the rear and one to the front.

Then whichever axle, front or rear, was lagging the turning rate of the (driven) input shift would receive the most torque.

I would publish the actual pictorials from my RX300 shop manual but then someone would simply say that it's outdated because its a 2000 manual.

I think your own text says it quite well enough, the inside (input) of the viscous clutch is connected to the front wheels and the outside (output) is connected to the rear wheels.

Just as I have always said, the transmission output is directly connected to the front drive shaft(s) AND the input to the viscous clutch. As long as the rear drive shaft is turning at the same rate as the front drive shaft(s) the only torque coupled to the rear is via the "latent" viscosity of the viscous fluid.

That's why you ALWAYS have a front wheel torque bias, the engine torque is transferred to the front via a SOLID coupling and to the rear via a viscous fluid. 70/30 latent, and as high as 51/49 in adverse conditions.

My use of input and output does not technically apply if the engine is not delivering torque to the transaxle.