Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• 00rxguy100rxguy1 Member Posts: 38
    I bought mine in May 2000. If I had done a little more research I could of waited 5 months I could be driving a 2001. But what the hey.... the style in my opinion hasn't really changed THAT much. lights and a few extra features but nothing really drastic. Can't wait to see future styles on the RX
  • drivindrivin Member Posts: 10
    39.9K - IS THIS THE OUT THE DOOR PRICE? The lowest I have seen in the LA area is around $44000 OD. This is fully loaded, chrome wheels, running board, accessory crossbar, heated seats, gold trim, etc..
  • drummerboydrummerboy Member Posts: 30
    I ordered a White RX300 from Carsdirect just recently. My RX is equipped with Nav package, spoiler, heated seats, and wheel locks. Out the door price is $43,000 including extended warranty from Carsdirect (2 extra years). I believe this is the easiest way to get a fair price on this vehicle since most dealerships don't want to negotiate on RX300 with Nav package. I live in L.A and Longo Lexus at El Monte will deliver the car to my house in 4 weeks.
  • clee4clee4 Member Posts: 103
    I pick up my blue vapor RX300 this weekend. nav package, heated seats, spoiler, wheel, locks, and those pesky cross bars. MSRP $42,601. Price $39.750, excluding T/T/L. That does not include a $500 owner rebate for current Lexus owners. So, if I wanted to include that, then my price would be $39,250. This was a East coast price. I had a quote from Riverside Lexus for the same equipment for $38,376, excluding T/T/L.
  • tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    Ok, the wife has spoken... looks like we're getting a RX300.

Can folks respond with the best price they got in the New York, New Jersey, or Connecticut area for a RX300 AWD with Value/PremiumPlus package or Nav?

Thanks!!!

TC
  • lexusfanlexusfan Member Posts: 22
    Hi all,

Just wanted to offer more input on this topic, which was discussed in posts 277-279 and 281. My saga began after I had my 01 RX for a week, and noticed a MUCH firmer ride than I had remembered in the prior years' RXs. I had read posts about switching from the Goodyear Integritys to MIchelin Symmetrys, and did so. The ride was immediately and noticeably nicer, but still quite firm, especially at low speeds over rough roads. So after much complaining to my dealer's service department, they investigated and found out directly from factory engineers that both the shocks and springs have been changed to firmer settings for 2001. Also, the service technician said that he had feedback from other customers saying that the suspension will "settle in" and "loosen up somewhat" after about 1500 miles. I have, in fact, found that to be true. I now have 4K on my RX, and have finally gotten somewhat used to the ride (after having driven a 98 ES300 for a couple of years). I have come to the conclusion that the suspension is really not too bad of a compromise, as it actually doesn't have as much lean in corners as one might expect for an SUV, and leans the same or slightly less than my ES. I should be receiving pre-2001 shocks which I will install to soften the ride just a bit. The firmer springs will remain. I shall then post my impressions....I so seem to be in the minority here, however, in actually wanting the softer ride. :)

Now what I really want is for Lexus to offer the SUV look (muscular), with sedan fuel economy, and sports car handling. I like the BMW X5 look and handing (as much as it pains me to admit, because I really despise the elitist image), but want Lexus customer service, reliability, and price!
  • lexusfanlexusfan Member Posts: 22
    Anyone interested in a set of Goodyear Integritys? :) They're free for the shipping and have about 100 miles of use on them. Email me at dean@redsummit.net.
  • rostamzalrostamzal Member Posts: 5
    I just leased 01 RX AWD with value package,spoiler and few other things for 36200
    $455/39/1450 down.
    This is the best I could find.
  • inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    How many miles per year? Any Lexusloyalty rebate in that equation?
    INKY
    Which dealer?

Thanks!!!
  • tictoc2tictoc2 Member Posts: 4
    We have been compiling info about the RX300 since June, and after test driving in August, we were sure it was the vehicle we wanted. We just brought ours home last Friday, and are very pleased with it. After checking with 6 of the closest dealers in our area we were not happy with the price, so we turned to price line. It was the most pleasant car buying experience ever! Less than 24 hours after submitting our bid, they found exactly what we were looking for. We paid close to 2000,00 less than any dealer offered us. We purchased from Lexus of Rockville close to DC. Seth Hamm at Rockville was wonderful to work with. We went to pick up our vehicle, the paper work was all taken care of, no delays. We have AWD, Nav pack. Tow-hitch, Heated seats, Roof rack, Wheel locks, Spoiler, etc. Now we are very thankful we waited for a 2001 instead of buying last summer. The nav.is wonderful. We definitely would use price line again for our next purchase, they do all the work for you. Price 38700,00 plus 50.00 to priceline.
  • edco1edco1 Member Posts: 4
    Tony,
    I did my homework up and down New Jersey. I ended up buying my 2001 RX from Warnock Lexus, who beat out the price that I got from Prestige, which is where I bought my last TWO Lexus cars. My sales man was Rodger Pannucci, 973-535-8700. Please feel free to e-mail me with any questions edco@us.ibm.com.
  • rostamzalrostamzal Member Posts: 5
    No loyalty this is my first lexus. I got 12K miles
    a year which is probably more then enough for me.
    Dealer is Bay Ridge Lexus in Brooklyn.
    I must admit my first choice was volvo xc, but
    the dealers suck.It is a real shame. Now that I got the lexus I am glad that I did.
    This is it.
    bank+mv-492.75
    tax-1463.96
    sec.-500
    1st-455
    Good luck!
  • tld999tld999 Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of purchasing a front end bra for my '00. Anyone with pros & cons on this? Is it worth the money? looks? maintance?
    I've been shopping prices on a RX300 AWD w/Premium Plus, HID, Wood steering, cargo, mat, w-locks. I've been getting better and better prices as dealers try to do better. I was around $36700, we had budgeted about $36,500 as a good deal on this car.

But when I saw saw tictoc2's message regarding priceline, I said what the heck. I doubt a Lexus dealer would be be involved with stuff like this. So thinking I wouldn't get it, I configured a RX WITH Nav, spoiler, cargo, locks, etc. I offered ONLY $1000 over INVOICE (not down from MSRP as most people are megotiating). That's lessthan 3% profit over invoice, which most dealers would consider insulting.

I was SHOCKED when I got the confirmation email and phone call. I'm getting a Black/ivory as configured above for $38,500!! That's $4000 under MSRP! This is beyond our original price target, but what the heck. THis deal is too good to pass up.

Thanks!!!

TC
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    You live in a very competitive area, lots of Lexus dealerships. If a dealer will call you back readily on a Priceline bid on $1,000 above invoice, I'd imagine that aggresive negotiation could drop that to $600-700 over invoice, $800 tops.

Is there a dealer incentive in place for Lexus currently? If so negotiating over invoice is easier because the dealer's cost is lower, but I'm sure you've already factored this in (seems like you've done your homework).

With Lexus ramping production up to what appears to be more than 100k vehicles in 2001 (they sold 90k in calendar year 2000), and new competition in the form of the MDX and Highlander, there are some great deals to be had. Good luck.

Lastly, in your message, did you mean $36,500, and not $38,500?
    I meant $36,500 was our original target for a RX w/PremiumPlus trim. I never thought we could get a Nav package at a low price because they are so scarce. $38,500 was for the loaded RX with Nav.

And actually, Lexus has supposedly just RAISED the invoice cost to the dealer this month! Two more dealers called me back when they heard the Priceline price and would have gone to $38,300 on cars they already had in stock. Since neither had the color I wanted, they both said (separately) that any car coming in now would sell at $38,800 because of the price increase to them. So the story must be true, I recommend that anyone looking for an RX cut a deal soon.

TC
  • tictoc2tictoc2 Member Posts: 4
    Congratulations, hope you will enjoy your RX300 as much as we are ours. We only had it 1 week, but it has been wonderful. It drives like a dream. We possibly could have offered a bit less than $38700, but the best any dealer within 75 miles offered us was $40256 without Tow-hitch and cargo mat, both of which we got with our car, so we are
    happy with our deal. Enjoy!
    Now that I will be a proud owner of a RX300, one thing that is lacking is side tubes or running boards. Though the step-in height is very comfortable for an adult, I have a 3-year old boy who insists "I'm a big boy, I don't need help getting in!"

So does anyone know of a good aftermarket web site or catalog for RX300 stuff??

Thanks!

TC
  • silly1040silly1040 Member Posts: 48
    tld999, I have a 01 RX300 and the first day I installed a clear bra. It's a thin film made from 3M. You have to be within 3ft. and looking for the edge of the bra to see it. I'm very happy with how it Doesn't LOOK :)

I bought it from www.xpel.com for about $240. That covers mirrors, hood, and bumper. It took me about 5 hours to install.

I used to have a regular bra on other cars, but they stained the paint or scratched. My 95 Mustang never had a bra, but now has a lot of chips. No problems with this clear bra as of yet.
  • kkuetkkuet Member Posts: 28
    enchante

i went to the detroit autoshow yesterday and saw the special edition silver sport. quite honestly, it looked bad. the only reconizable changes were the grill (looked very similar to the IS grill which i think is ugly on the rx), paint color matching cross bars or luggage rack, and the inside had silver mettalic chrome instead of the wood.
    Tony,
    Check out www.IRONTOAD.com. They have a nice selection of RX accessories, and their prices seem fair.

Also (believe it or not) ebay.

I have seem tons of Lexus stuff offered. Everything from Gold Package to key chains to spare CD cartridges.

Best of luck with your new Lexus. Sounds like you got a great deal !

Ed
    Has anyone out there actually put on running boards or side-step tubes?
    Since like me, you live in the TriSate area, do consider getting the dealer to install LoJack on your new RX. The insurance companies, at least in NJ, have the RX high on their list of high theft risk vehicles. It cost me $500 including tax to get it installed and saved me the equivalent amount over just three years in insurance. Also since Lojack is transferable, it adds some resale value.

Worth the money...

ED
    Interesting point Ed, but doesn't the Nav system give the car a certain amount of traceability? I know that on the ML320, if stolen, MB will track the car for you.

Does this sound far fetched on the RX?

Also, I believe the factory alarm system on the RX has everything but tilt sensors, correct?

I'll ask the insurance company what kind of discount they give for Lojack, thanks for suggesting it.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    No, the normal GPS doesn't allow the car to be tracked simply because it only receives the signals and doesn't broadcast anything. That's what the MB TeleAid system is for.

Drew
    Host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    Yea, I forgot about TeleAid and OnStar, which actually send a signal. I should have known better since I'm an engineer and know how these systems work.

BTW, you know that push bar you have on the front of your 320? Is that a MB part or did you get aftermarket? I would love to find something similar for the RX, but there is hardly anything out there for this car!

TC
  • harryrogers1harryrogers1 Member Posts: 40
    I hope to get my new RX300SE next week. The UK sped looks different to the US one and I'm looking forward to it. I have noticed some comments re getting a BRA for it in the US and wonder if some one could explain what it is. Is is some sort of spray lacquer that goes on the paint work?
    Sorry if I sound thick but I have never heard of it over here.

By the way I like the US prices its GBP35,000 over here (x1.44 for SD).

Like the site cheers

Harry
  • newtosuvnewtosuv Member Posts: 9
    I just picked up my 2001 RX-300 with Nov last week. It is great !

My question is... I do not have a garage here in the northeast and I have to park under some trees which causes problems with sap and other dyes on the finish. In the interest of preserving its beautiful finish, are there any protective "finishes or coatings" that would help to keep it looking like new? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Please don't tell me to park elsewhere (smile)..... it is not that easy to find a place to park here.

Thanks!
    Sorry about the typos in my message No. 331.

UK price is 35,000 UK pounds . Thats times 1.44 to convert into US dollars.. (the symbols wont come out of my UK keyboard).
    I love the fact that we think alike when it comes to car aesthetics. You hit the nail right on the head, I hate the full brushguards since I won't be in the brush most of the time! I've already found the JAOS and you are right, they are hiddeous.

The RMM is perfect and exactly what I was looking for! Looks like your MB A-bar, which I like. And I purposely got a Black RX so that chrome or black accesories would look good.

Hey, can you find me some side-step bars or running boards now? ;-)

Thanks again,
    TC
    What's called a car bra in the U.S. is usually a piece of heavy leather-looking vinyl with a soft cotton backing that is slipped over and secured to front of your car. Use to protect against pebbles causing paint chips on the front of your car. Mostly sports car owners use them since they are so low to the ground and more prone to get hit with debris that is kicked out by other car's wheels.

Hope this helps,
    TC
    You're welcome! Glad that I could help! The guys at RMM also sell the chrome (Manik or Waag) side steps, so you may want to contact them about it too. Nordleth sells side steps for the RX as well, plus they have a great 25% discount for members (membership is free). Make sure you ask them about the chrome ones since chrome or black is not specifically listed on the site: http://www.nordleth.com/body_manik_toyota.cfm

Chrome steps: http://www.manik.com/products/gallery/images/LEXUS.jpg

Drew
    Host
    Is it just me, or do those side skirts and ground effects (at the RMM site) make no sense??? By putting them on you are effectively lowering the ground clearance and defeating one of the selling points of a vehicle like this. Maybe I'm too practical...

TC
  • metmdxmetmdx Member Posts: 270
    I live in Westchester, NY area. Looking for RX300 AWD with premium pkg plus. Can anyone give me a figure at what a good price is for this config given market conditions.
    Thanks !
    You're in luck! I'm going to be picking up one Saturday at Ray Catena Lexus in Westchester. You can easily get one for $1000 or less over invoice if you act fast. Supposedly Lexus has raised the invoice pricing to dealers (two different dealers have told me this).

Basically, RX300s are coming into the U.S. in two different ways (at the level you are looking at): PremiumPlus/Value Package and PP w/HID and Wood Steering Wheel. Almost all of them come with the color-keyed spoiler.

I've just spent the last week doing serious negotiations, so if you tell me the exact configuration you are looking at I'll try to give you an agressive, yet doable price.

TC
    Some of the stuff they offer in Japan is really weird and too boy racer-ish for most people who buy the RX. The ground effects are for aesthetics in this case, and I guess it's the same reason why we see lowered SUVs on the road. In all fairness though, the RX's ground clearance is only about as much as a Subaru Outback's, so I really wouldn't venture too far of the road anyway. Not only this but you're riding on a car platform (hence the car-like ride), so the underbody is not exactly designed (nor protected) against obstacles that one may find off-road.

Drew
    Host
    I wasn't really thinking of "off-road" clearance, more like snow drifts and the like. As long as the thing can make it up the dirt road to the cabin, I'm happy!
    Thanks for the explanation Tony.

Regards

Harry
  • tamim1tamim1 Member Posts: 5
    I just bought the RX300 with 11,000 miles. When it is cold, it has a terrible time shifting gears, ex- I am going 35mph and take my foot off the gas, it feels like someone put a break on for a couple seconds until it finally shifts. It also makes a very high pitch whine? The Lexus mechanic tells me this is all typical of the RX 300. Any thoughts?? TKM
  • djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    First... let me answer Mr Sluggish. What you experiencing when the engine is cold is definitely normal. You should accelerate gently until the vehicle warms up. If I am not mistaken the transmission will not shift out of second or third until the engine has warmed to a certain level. That's why you feel the engine braking when you release the accelerator. Now.. regarding Lexus of Massapequa on Long Island. If you can swing it, shop at Ray Catena Lexus in Westchester. You'll get a better deal there and MUCH better customer service. Here's my story:

I went there last Saturday with a friend and since I have a 1999 RX, I wanted to trade and get a 2001. Trouble is, I have an existing lease which won't expire until the fall. I can end it early and lose a bit. Once the salesman found out what my intentions were he completely ignored me! He figured that there was no way I wanted to forfeit any money on the deal. I also mentioned the deals that Ray Catena was giving. This is the second sale they've lost because I went to them first when I originally leased my vehicle. They didn't have any in stock at the time but Ray Catena did. I strongly suggest you give Ray Catena a call as they deal in large volumes and will certainly negotiate.
  • tamim1tamim1 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the info about the cold engine. I've never had a car where it is so abrupt. Any thoughts about the high pitch sound when I accelerate or go at a constant speed..not present when I decelerate.
  • abbah1abbah1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 01 RX300 with about a 1000 mi. on it, and less than a month old. Last Friday, the doors could not be unlocked with the remote part of the key. It was also noted that the daytime driving lights and side lights were not lit. Took it in to the dealer where purchased, and the said they have never seen this before. (of course we have all been told this) After 2 days in the shop, they said they took out the computer chips ( I do not know which ones) put them back in, and now everything works. HAS ANYONE EVER HEARD OF THIS PROBLEM BEFORE? Other than this glitch, I (we) wife and I love the car.
    Had a similar experience! We test drove at Massapequa, but when it came down to the deal, they couldn't get the job done. I went through Priceline.com and Ray Catena Lexus met my price!
    Massapequa tried to undercut once push came to shove, but they didn't have the color I wanted. Not a single dealer has been willing to meet the price/color that I got from RC Lexus. I'm going to pick up the car Saturday. And RC in Larchmont is only 33 miles from Long Island, a pretty short ride to get a great deal.

And so far RC has offered to take care of everything, including interfacing with my insurance. I hope the service is just as good when I pick it up.

TC
  • djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    I did buy mine at RC Lexus in NJ but all their dealerships are top notch! You should have a GREAT experience in Westchester. Just to let you know, I have over 36k on mine and it has NEVER been to the dealer for service. I had routine maint performed at a reputable station I've been dealing with for years. Let me know how ya like it!
    Well get this... even though I'm buying from RC Westchester, I can throw a stone at RC Monmouth from my office window! It just kinda worked out that way... weird.

TC
  • mgdtymgdty Member Posts: 1
    had a similar problem on my 00. rear R door lost all power (doesn't lock/unlock door, roll up/down window). dealer took 3 days to diagnose the problem, even took apart the whole door (and put some scratches on the door which they later fixed). turned out it was one of the chips. don't remember which one it is now. but they replaced it and everything has been fine.
  • dniehusdniehus Member Posts: 83
    After considering the new small/mid-size SUV offerings, I am seriously considering buying a 1999 RX 300. A certified, pre-owned vehicle certainly is appealing. Of course, you appropriately pay for the peace of mind from the available warranty and the thorough going over by Lexus. But, is all that really necessary? Assuming the vehicle is as bullet proof as everyone says, should I be too worried about picking up an RX from a private sale or another dealer and save a couple thousand? In other words, any thoughts about the pro's and con's of the CPO program. Also, any reason to avoid buying a 1999 RX 300. Unfortunately my budget won't allow me to stretch to buy a 2001 RX 300. Had been comtemplating a Highlander. While I have not yet had a chance to see in person, the pricing is ridiculous and the styling seems questionable. Fully loaded you're talking almost $35,000! To keep it to $30,000 (expected price for a 1999 RX), I would have to make way too many compromises on the Highlander. Not sure why Toyota is so greedy. They're competing with Escapes and Tributes which fully loaded are listed out at $25,800.
  • bcjacob1bcjacob1 Member Posts: 39
    I recently purchased a 2001 RX 300 AWD w/ the nav. value pkg & heated seats. When I spoke w/ the dealer (in Virginia Beach, Va), I stated that I also wanted the tow pkg. The dealer gave me a relatively good price on the vehicle he had on the lot (w/o the tow pkg) and stated that they would order the top pkg parts from Lexus and install them for me as part of my purchase price. When I called the dealer to check on the status of my parts, I was told by the service mgr that Lexus cannot install a tow pkg - it must be installed at the factory.

Has anyone else heard this? The dealer is quite nervous over a threatened fraud lawsuit at this point.
    Just my opinion:

What's great about companies like Lexus, MB, BMW, etc. is that they have a nationwide network that links all the service centers. What I'm getting at is that I don't think it's too much of a risk to buy private if you do two things:

1) Make sure that owner has documented that all scheduled maintenance has been performed. You need copies of all receipts.

2) Get the VIN number of the car you are interested in and take it to a Lexus service place. Ask the service manager to run it through the network to pull up any repairs or work orders that have been done.

Another upside is that I believe the warranty will transfer to a new owner.

TC