Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• gsenthilgsenthil Member Posts: 154
    Mine go off too when I press lock twice.

Senthil
  • gimpyrxgimpyrx Member Posts: 198
    Run synthetic & change it every 3000 miles!
    And keep a log book,check your oil weekly.
    If it is a toyota 3.0 v6, Good Luck.
  • antiosamaantiosama Member Posts: 62
    you don't need to put synthetic oil. I have a 95 ES300 with 105,000 miles. This is basically the same engine as in the RX300. I have never put synthetic oil. Regular oil and 7.5K oil changes since new. No problems. I had the sludge removed with that special machine the Lexus dealer has. They said engine was pretty light on sludge.
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    Since you're the one that brought the subject up months ago...

What was the final result of your lawsuit against Lexus re the LS-400 defrosting system?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
  • senneca01senneca01 Member Posts: 34
    If you guys have not seen it yet, check out the new Volvo XC90 SUV. It wonder how it will stack up to the RX300, X5, ML-Series, QX4, and MDX. It is supposed to have more room than the X5 and ML, plus seat up to 7 people, forward facing.

Volvo XC90 Pictures

• outrunoutrun Member Posts: 539
    From the looks alone, I'd definitely want to test drive one.

But I have a feeling the price is going to be huge.

-Craig
  • sssstevessssteve Member Posts: 49
    jiamin - are your lights set on auto? Or, are they just ON. I have never tried it with the light switch in the ON position - only with it set on the auto position. The "lock twice" always works on my 2000 RX.

Hope this helps
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    Hi ssssteve,
    I tried switch on "ON". Didn't try on "AUTO". I'll try on "AUTO" later today.
    Thanks.
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    I would not want this car for the following reasons:

List price $- I'm not paying sticker.
    First year production.
    Poor quality ratings for Volvo .

Other than that I would most definitely place this car on my shopping list.
  • mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    You mean Ford quality.

Also remember when your one of the last ones to the dance (SUV) you should be better than your competition, in several, if not all areas.
    Hey, no criticism intended for taking on a giant corporation and losing in a court case - I salute you for making the attempt.

I just wonder what their position was in denying your faulty engineering claim, if that was the suit basis.
    We got the judge's attention in a very big way when we showed, and the Lexus expert verified, that the A/C compressor circuit was being opened automatically, and the indicator extinguished, without any obvious warning to the operator.

No one disagreed that the fogging of the windshield was the direct result of the compressor being cycled off.

But then the Lexus EXPERT got up and testified "truthfully" (he believed everything the Lexus lawyers had prepped him to say, and he wasn't smart enough to figure things out for himself) that I had exacerbated the fogging episode by turning up the heat and blower rather than just simply re-activating the A/C.

The Lexus expert argued that turning the A/C back on would have worked because the cold mountain airflow would have been warmed enough as it flowed through the cowling and plenum that the A/C could have dehumidified it by cooling it back down to its original temperature.

Yeah, right, SURE!

Don't take a technical case before a judge without a CERTIFIED technical expert by your side.
    EOM
  • lakeannalakeanna Member Posts: 5
    I LIVE IN THE WASHINGTON DC/MD AREA, AND I WOULD LIKE TO PURCHASE A 2002 RX300 WITHOUT THE NAVIGATION SYATEM. I GOT A QUOTE FROM A DEALER FOR 37,000. IS THIS A GOOD PRICE? OR WHAT IS A GOOD PRICE?
  • karen_tnkaren_tn Member Posts: 22
    First time Lexus owner. Bought my new car on 11-3-01. I traveled to Louisville, KY in order to save $4200 (including trade and cost of new vehicle). I live in Nashville. In this area they won't come off sticker. To me $37000 does not sound like that great of a deal on a 2002 RX without navigation. Guess it depends on whether its a AWD or 2WD. I'm not sure about the Washington DC area. Anyway, I'm a first time poster and just wanted to see if I'm doing this right. I love my new car!
  • lakeannalakeanna Member Posts: 5
    THAKS KAREN
    YOU DID IT PERFECTLY. DID YOU BUY THE RX300 WITH THE NAVIGATION SYSTEM AND AWD. IF YOU DONT MIND TELLING ME WHAT'S A GOOD PRICE FOR THAT.
    THANKS
    I found if I turn the ignition key to ON, leave light switch at eith AUTO or ON, and then take the key out and close the door, headlight will turn off in about one minute. Then I tried without key in ignition, just leave the switch at ON, no it does not turn light off (in 2 minutes, could not wait any longer).
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You did great, Karen! Of course we'll expect to see a lot more of you here!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • tso2001tso2001 Member Posts: 11
    lakeanna, my mom just bought a 2002 RX300 last weekend, 2WD,premium pkg plus (sunroof, leather,6disk CD,roof rack,...) gold pkg, chrome wheels, no nav. She paid 36.5k + tax + license, here in PHX.
  • clee4clee4 Member Posts: 103
    As you have demonstrated, this is a free country, people are able to express their opinions. I hope you will be happy with your new ML, but you better check where it was made.
    First, I own a 2001 911 AWD, and I would attest that its overall quality is in the range of any Lexus.

But, I would never say the same for other cars of German design and build. BMW and MB have both been struggling mightily for over ten years to catch up with Lexus and I'm sure they still have a ways to go. I think if you ask them they would say the same.

Now. I just a wee bit tired of the ML being disparaged simply because it is american built. I would agree, absolutely, that the early versions left a lot, a whole lot, to be desired.

But like BMW and MB over the past ten years, the overall quality improvements of the ML up until now have been outstanding.
  • heatmiser1heatmiser1 Member Posts: 122
    FYI - Consumer Reports lists both the BMW X5 and Mercedes ML SUV's under the WORST for reliability. Although the BMW and Mercedes handle great and ride extremely well, I would not spend that amount of money on an automobile unless it is somewhat reliable.
    Yes I'll never want a car with "better performance and handling" but less reliable.
  • antiosamaantiosama Member Posts: 62
    clee4, You have to excuse Ruxpin. He has a identity crisis. He ranted for a bit in the Lexus ES300 forum also about Lexus vs. mercedes-Benz.
  • bgsellerbgseller Member Posts: 18
    New owner here, just purchased an '02 RX300. Vehicle has 300 miles after a week and I am very satisfied.

The one question I have.. is it common to experience a slight idle vibration while in gear or park? My car normally idles at about 500 RPMS and I can even feel the vibration in the steering wheel. Comments?
    Mine idle at 700 rpm, virtually no vibration no matter which gear it is in. 500 rpm seems a little too low for most cars.
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    That would explain it. Thats an awfully low idle speed..

Bill
  • jimbonutjimbonut Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone know of an "on line" source for touch up paint for the RX300? I bought some from the dealer but it has dried up and I am not close to a dealer.
  • lily15lily15 Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone bought the rx300AWD recently?. What's a good price. or what did you pay for yours. Can you recommend a dealership. I live in Maryland, but I can buy in wASHINGTON D.C. Virginia OR EVEN PA.
    THANKS
  • litzviclitzvic Member Posts: 11
    Try paintscratch.com for your touch-up paint. Fair price and super fast delivery. Good color match as well. Remember to order clear coat as well.

John
    There is no "fair price" for an RX300 AWD. Like me, you live in the northern reaches of the country. The RX300 is not AWD unless ALL FOUR WHEELS have traction with the roadbed. In addition to that it is predominantly a FWD vehicle which can be extremely hazardous in wintertime roadbed conditions.

If you can afford the extra money have a serious look at the BMW X5, or in the alternative an ML320.

For AWD the MDX will even be a better value than the RX, but it doesn't come with HID, VSC, or Trac.

I own a 2001 RX300 AWD and a Chrysler T&C AWD and I can tell you that for the money the Chrysler has a much better AWD setup than the RX.

If you are "settled" on the RX then save some money by buying the FWD version, you will not notice enough difference to justify the additional cost.
    Since Willard (wwest) is so displeased with his, why don't you buy that one (instead of the BMW with zero room in the back for storage or the ML built in America with reliability problems - or, heaven forbid, a Chrylser minivan!)?

That way, you'd get a great deal because, after all, the RX' AWD system is a fraud according to Willard, and he could go get that dream SUV from BMW or Mercedes...

Then, he could join those BMW or Mercedes Town Hall boards and disengage from this one & voila = Heaven!
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    I have read a number of the detailed posts on the workings of the Lexus AWD system and I still can't say that I understand it. What I can tell you is that I have a '99 AWD and it gets me in and out of my mountain house (about 1 mile of unpaved, unplowed road) in the winter where previous FWD vehicles couldn't. True, these were not RX 300 FWD vehicles but I suspect most FWD vehicles will react similarly. We only get 8 or 9 inches of snow but some parts of the hill are quite icy and the RX has never even hesitated. Maybe it's the placebo effect. I think it will make it so it does.
  • karen_tnkaren_tn Member Posts: 22
    Lily. I can't tell you what to do because I don't know the market there. But if it was me I'd try $36,000 but settle for 36,500. It really depends how well you like the car and the market there locally as to what you should offer and what you should settle for. The dealer added a pin stripe to mine. To me the car is worth every penny I spent.
    Come to think of it I would be willing to sell you mine! It has only about 10K miles, bottom has been painted so it is monotone burnished gold, upgraded to 17X8 wheels, michelin XCs, Harrier grille.

It has Nav, HID, VSC, and Trac.

But in all honesty I wouldn't be able to charge you for the Nav as it is virtually useless, especially for an SUV. I had a MY2000 RX300 AWD and I definitely prefer the non-nav liquid crystal display in it over the nav display.

I would also ask you to sign a waiver of liability with regards the potential for the windshield to suddenly fog over and the lack of "true" AWD. Lexus may be more than willing to mislead, or more correctly, allow you to mislead yourself, but I simply can't stoop that low.

Oh, the climate control system can become a bit discomforting as it automatically switches to "cooling" mode, blows cool dry air directly to your face and upper body, in the dead of winter when your upper body is being subjected to severe radiant cooling from the cold outside surround.
    Drove the loaner RX AWD from the dealer..definitely worth the wet road handling here in Seattle. The difference was noticable. When I accelerate from 0, the traction control would limit my FWD RX but not on the AWD. Also, I drove it in the forest (light off roading- Mt Baker National Forest) and it handled well in snow. All was well till I made a mistake and got stuck between 2 boulders. And thats when I realized it was a AWD beacuase the rear wheels spinned even though one of the front (left) wheel was suspended in the air. Had to get a ride back in a USFS personnel Chevy Truck, and came back with the tow company's big ol 4X4 truck. All I can say is this- the RX AWD handles much better in snow than even the big pickup trucks the owners would have you believe are better than RX, and the best part is that I couldnt feel any bumps at all- I realized how bad the roads were only when I travelled in another vehicle.

To sum up, if you get snow in your area, or rainfall, go in for an AWD. I dont have a garage and equipment to test how good the viscous coupling in a RX is, but it sure works.

Senthil
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    I have read a number of the detailed posts on the workings of the Lexus AWD system and I still can't say that I understand it. What I can tell you is that I have a '99 AWD and it gets me in and out of my mountain house (about 1 mile of unpaved, unplowed road) in the winter where previous FWD vehicles couldn't. True, these were not RX 300 FWD vehicles but I suspect most FWD vehicles will react similarly. We only get 8 or 9 inches of snow but some parts of the hill are quite icy and the RX has never even hesitated. Maybe it's the placebo effect. I think it will make it so it does.
    Hi,

1) What is the slot front most between the front seats? It opens up when I push it and has some green light inside it- but I dont know what its meant for.

2)OT: My soft lambskin jacket got soaked in rain and is really hard now. How can I get it back to normal. That also got me thinking...sometimes my raincoat is wet when I sit in my RX..will that spoil the leather seats? What precautions do I need to take?

Thanks

Senthil
    My 2000 RX is not with me now, but I have no idea what you mean.
    Keep talking; you'll be down to $18,599 soon.

Any discount for the deer guts on the front custom grille?

Can't you just smell that new BMW in your garage?
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Why do you believe "part-time" AWD is inferior to "full-time" AWD?

I can't think of too many hazards or conditions where permanent AWD would be superior to viscous fluid activated AWD.

In fact, doesn't permanent AWD require more maintenance? Isn't permanent AWD subject to more failures because of the heat/friction and constant use of the system, even when not needed (dry pavement)?

In my opinion, for 90% of folks out there...and 99% of "crossover SUV" owners, a viscous fluid activated AWD setup is more desireable and more appropriate for the mud/rain/slush/snow conditions that are most likely to be encountered.

Unfortunately, if you need more off-road (rock-hopping) capability than the RX300 offers, the ML320 and/or X5 are not going to give it to you. Check out Land Rover or a "Big 3" product with a low range transfer case and locking differential.
  • Jon90Jon90 Member Posts: 33
    i think there are some in here that should think again about bashing the competition. BMW does make a good vehicle. So does mercedes. The people mentioning consumer reports - what year are you looking at, 1998 perhaps? The 2002 Mercedes had over 1,100 part changes and Yahoo ConsumerGuide has Build Quality as one of the Pros, while it has removed the RX300 from the Best Pick list to Recommended. I ended up ordering an ML because 1) i didnt fit in the RX, not enough headroom and 2) i wanted the V8 power and pickup. I also have a GS300 and i do feel that Lexus is second to NOONE in service and reliability. I think some of the above issues will change in the next RX, and i will look at more closely next time, although they had an SC430 on the floor i sat in...OH BOY!!!

Anyhow, i do think Mercedes has improved their vehicle alot. Perfect by any means no, but owners of 01 and 02 seem to be very happy. BMW i cant speak for, i just know that i fit less in that then the RX, way too small IMHO
    I'm looking at the 2002 Buying Guide, sent to subscribers about a week ago.

Page 203, owner ratings on M-class:

Year 1998 - no check mark for top reliability
    Year 1999 - no check mark for top reliability
    Year 2000 - no check mark for top reliability

Page 200, owner ratings on RX-300:

Year 1999 - check mark for top reliability
    Year 2000 - check mark for top reliability

BMW SUVs - no ratings, either too new or not large enough base of owners - or both

And I never said BMW doesn't build a good vehicle - I said there was no room in the storage area, even when compared to a RX which doesn't have that much either.

As for stopping the bashing - sorry, it's a primary reason there's so many posts on TH so if it bothers you, go elsewhere.

But you could just buy Willard's RX and then I WILL stop bashing. Promise.
    Don't have any experience on MB, but saw one ML dead in a center lane just in front of the trafic light waiting for towing or such. Yes that was like 2 years ago with older version. Another 2000 E320 sedan's auto tranny quit working in about a year, one of my close friend's car.
    If I need more head room and/or V8 power I would think about LX470 first. I had that in my mind for a few minutes just before I decided on my 2000 RX. Was a little too big and too expensive to me.
    I could handle a torque split of 95/5 rear to front with the ability to put snow chains on the rear (or both) but 95/5 front to rear just makes it a front wheel drive, plain and simple.

Lexus' owners manual says use chains on the front only, NEVER use chains on the rear due to mechanical interference.

When I pointed out to them that the use of chains only on the front created a pretty hazardous driving circumstance they agreed.
    I have no idea what you mean by "permanent" AWD, but, here is the way I think of it.

Full-time AWD: must have some type of method to prevent driveline windup during operations when all four wheels have good solid traction. A viscous clutch somewhere in the driveline between the front and rear is just one of the ways, possibly the cheapest but certainly one of the simplest from the operator's point of view.

Part-time AWD: Cannot be operated for long periods on high traction surfaces without damage to the driveline and/or your knuckles.
  • mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    Front most slot would be the ash tray, but I wouldn't smoke in the RX since it could cause the windows to fog unnessasarily.
    are all fine vehicles. You cant go wrong buying either of them. All of them have good safety ratings. God didnt make us on an assembly line, so we all have different opinions & perspectives. Personally, I dont like the styling of the ML or the new SC. But thats MY opinion. If there was one single BEST car, we all would be driving the same car!

In some car magazine, I read about this guy who won "Who Wants to Be A Millionaire" and has about a million dollars in prize money. Imagine, he could buy any vehicle he wanted in the market. If I were him, I would have bought a SL500 or S55. Guess what he bought?

A minivan! Dont remember which make/model. Seems he travels a lot with his buddies/teammates on various quiz competetions and so an minivan was the ideal car for him. He is not even married/has kids (the general minican stereotype).

I rest my case.

Senthil
    The best dialog/dissertation on this 4Wd/AWD subject I have found on the internet is at:

http://www.difflock.com/offroad/4x4explained.shtml

Don't let the title fool you, it does apply.

But for a quick read or anyone with a short attention span:

http://www.difflock.com/offroad/difflocks.shtml

Start at the tenth paragraph down:

"The VC's rotational sensing characteristic..."

"The easiest hack...."

THE EASIEST HACK? HACK? LEXUS?