Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• gsenthilgsenthil Member Posts: 154
    are all fine vehicles. You cant go wrong buying either of them. All of them have good safety ratings. God didnt make us on an assembly line, so we all have different opinions & perspectives. Personally, I dont like the styling of the ML or the new SC. But thats MY opinion. If there was one single BEST car, we all would be driving the same car!

In some car magazine, I read about this guy who won "Who Wants to Be A Millionaire" and has about a million dollars in prize money. Imagine, he could buy any vehicle he wanted in the market. If I were him, I would have bought a SL500 or S55. Guess what he bought?

A minivan! Dont remember which make/model. Seems he travels a lot with his buddies/teammates on various quiz competetions and so an minivan was the ideal car for him. He is not even married/has kids (the general minican stereotype).

I rest my case.

Senthil
  • Jon90Jon90 Member Posts: 33
    I can bet you that was due to bad fuel pump, 98/99 had horrible fuel pumps.

Jeffmust, as i expected, you are using data that is over 2 years old...now. i dont have a problem with that, but to be fair, in a public forum, it is my opinion that you should state that fact. (sorry for the run-on)

If people are concerned about the storage area....I can post the real test. One of the mags used 12/pk cases of beer to test all the SUV's in this class. Was kinda interesting. I will look for the data
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    Surveys like CUs don't predict the present or the future.

It's kinda impossible to do one based on brand new (2002) vehicles; there aren't enough of them sold yet. The surveys done on 2001 models, because of magazine lead times, will be published within a few months from now.

CU magazine takes surveys of actual car owners once a year. I know this because I receive their auto survey like the other hundreds of thousands of their subscribers.

The 2001 model owners will get to vote with their surveys in time for CU's annual auto issue that comes out every April. You can check that issue and see if the M-Series has improved; by some accounts it has but there's nothing like a few thousand owners comparing notes to really tell what's going on. (Gosh, where's ex-host Drew when we need him?)

The '98-99-00 M-Series owners have filled-out the CU survey and voted - it clearly did not reach the top tier of reliability for those 3 model years. As stated, the results for the '01 model year will be out in April.

Are there other reliable, non-biased, non-commercial surveys of thousands of M-Series owners that you would like to cite? And please don't bother with anything from JD Powers.

In sum:
    2002 results not available.
    2001 results in late March-early April '02.
    98-99-00 results available now.
  • gsenthilgsenthil Member Posts: 154
    are all fine vehicles. You cant go wrong buying either of them. All of them have good safety ratings. God didnt make us on an assembly line, so we all have different opinions & perspectives. Personally, I dont like the styling of the ML or the new SC. But thats MY opinion. If there was one single BEST car, we all would be driving the same car!

In some car magazine, I read about this guy who won "Who Wants to Be A Millionaire" and has about a million dollars in prize money. Imagine, he could buy any vehicle he wanted in the market. If I were him, I would have bought a SL500 or S55. Guess what he bought?

A minivan! Dont remember which make/model. Seems he travels a lot with his buddies/teammates on various quiz competetions and so an minivan was the ideal car for him. He is not even married/has kids (the general minican stereotype).

I rest my case.

Senthil
    Thanks for "resting your case" in post #3710.

That was the same case, word for word, that you rested in post #3705 and #3707.

Give it a rest already.
  • mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    No wonder you couldn't find the ash tray
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Willard, please excuse my ambiguity. When I said "permanent AWD", I was referring to an AWD system that always sends some percentage of torque to all four wheels (Audi Quattro, Subaru, etc.) as opposed to a "part-time AWD" system that is predominantly FWD, but automatically sends torque to the rear wheels when wheelspin is detected (RX300, Hyundai Santa Fe).

I'm not sharpshooting you...in fact, you have made some valid points in the past that some other RX300 owners have appreciated. I have read your comments regarding how you feel you were mislead regarding the function and capabilities of the RX300 AWD system and I am simply curious to know why you feel the way you do.

As the owner of an AWD Buick Rendezvous, and an inhabitant of Seattle, I'm interested in your experiences with AWD and your thoughts on why an ML320 or X5 will handle winter rain/ice/mud/snow better than your RX300 or my Buick.

What is it about front-wheel biased all-wheel-drive systems that you have a problem with?

If there is a benefit to always having some torque applied to all four wheels, even on dry pavement, I just don't see it.
    Oh boy, you asked a tricky question here Jeff...

First of all i know all about the surveys...they ARE based on older models, thats why i feel we cant tell people that the CURRENT model is bad, thats all. You cant say they ARENT reliable, only that past ones havent been!

But back to the hot issue....Drew and edmunds had a falling out. I checked the ML thread daily, it averaged probably 20-30 posts a day. It now MAY get one a day. Drew was "let go" even though he was the best thing they had on that board. What is weirder is that i would bet at least 100 (no kidding) posts were deleted/censored because they talked about the "issue" and that wasnt allowed as it wasnt "pertinent" Drew has moved on, but another edmunds rule is if you mention any other web site, your post gets deleted too. i have no CLUE why, having referral info like that can only help edmunds become the primary site for many. Anyhow, drew is at an ML site and posts all day long, most everyone followed him there. He is sorely missed here.
  • sardeadsardead Member Posts: 4
    i've had my 01 rx300 for about 6 months now. just took it in for its 5K service (btw - what fantastic customer focus Lexus has!) - and i leveraged the loaner benefit, and asked for a IS300. no doubt its fast - but I guess I'm spoiled after my RX. Here's why I ached for my car:

- IS felt small, cramped, thin-sheeted
    - instrument console seems tiny, ridiculous almost
    - hated the red display, love my luminescent RX300 display
    - horrible manual seats
    - very very low riding elevation, felt dwarfed by even honda accords

In general - I got the feeling of being in a Lux car in the RX and defintely not in the IS. SHows that adding a few gizmos here and there cannot create an overall Lexus experience.

My 2 cents. Take this post as the expression of a proud RX300 owner
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    another edmunds rule is if you mention any other web site, your post gets deleted too. i have no CLUE why.

I don't think so, Jon! Posts that promote other sites with chat rooms/message boards are not allowed by Edmund's Terms of Use as well as posts that are soliciting business for personal gain by the poster.

Otherwise, posts that are informative and useful to members and that happen mention other sites in that spirit are just fine. I think these rules are reasonable and are pretty much the standard used by all automotive sites.

A casual glance at posts across the boards will show many references to other web sites - and the postings are quite intact.

I hope that helps!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Fedlawman:

Really? FBI?

Being mislead about RX300. Directly no, but I have been a reasonably loyal fan of Lexus since purchasing my first one, a 92 LS400, in late 91. When I bought my first RX, a 2000, my salesman (of 10 years) told me the torque split was 70/30 front/rear and grew to 50/50 as needed.

I just would not have believed Lexus would have passed something like this onto their customers, the Toyota Highlander version, yes, that I can understand,

I can't tell you just what it was about driving, the feel of, that first RX that made me feel as if something wasn't quite right. Maybe it was becuase I had put many miles on two Jeeps, both with full-time (viscous clutch) and part-time, modes.

Anyway I traded up to the 2001 with VSC and Trac mostly to get the HID, before the 2000 RX was put to any real time testing. But I also truly felt that the trac would likely somewhat compensate for the lack of the all wheel drive "feel" I thought I was missing.
    It is a fact that posts mentioning the site where Drew went were deleted/censored. According to your statement it is because they offer a message board function. How can that hurt edmunds? I suggest you revisit that policy....kinda like a mall, having all the stores there helps them all do better!! I just feel it is silly to have everyone "email me and i will tell you where he went" but thats what you promote...
    My 2001 RX300 AWD has about 10K miles.

Last week I happened to notice that the high beam lamps/bulbs seemed to be cloudy, a smoky grey film on the interior of the glass. So I bought replacement bulbs yesterday.

On removing the OEM bulbs I confirmed the interior of the bulb's glass enclosure is heavily covered with what appears to be soot, most likely from the bulbs operation at the low DRL voltage. In addition, there was a definite "bubble" in the glass immediately above the filament, likely due to heat buildup that the glass was not designed to withstand.

I went ahead and replaced the bulbs but at the same time I disconnected the DRL resistor under the battery on the chance that was the source of the "sooting" problem.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Yes really...no, not FBI.

I contend that the RX300 AWD system is among the best on the road (w/TRAC and VSC) and it is all you'll ever need.

Front-wheel bias only helps to improve durability and fuel efficiency. When conditions warrant, torque is then applied to the rear (left, right, or both).

Just like my Buick, it is very intelligent and very effective...just try a full throttle launch front a stoplight uphill in the rain. It works!

Why waste torque to the rear wheels when you don't need it most of the time?
  • mvinemvine Member Posts: 5
    Just wanted to take a survey of what the groups preference is on the RX spoiler. Since most of the 2002's are coming from the factory w/o, I have to decide if I should add it to my 2002 Blue Vapor NAV or not. Should be about $400 incl. installation.

Thanks for your comments.
  • tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    ...without all the old issues coming back up.

Jeff, as you might very well know, our distinguished "Mister W" will never let go as long as he senses new victims logging on. Him selling his current transportation and moving to the ML-board could allow him to be the new line leader, heh. BTW, Drew (and MANY other regulars from the ML discussions) moved here. I have to agree with Jon90, certain policies hinder open discussion.

I can't remember who was afraid, but auto-lock will not engage if kids grab the keys and hop in the car, nor will it lock in your groceries - the trick is to have had any door opened once after unlocking.

Soon to be deleted, too Tarik

• sybelesybele Member Posts: 42
    Is it possible to increase the acceleration power of the RX?. Any aftermarket parts?
  • gimpyrxgimpyrx Member Posts: 198
    NO hope for the snail on wheels.
    ...without all the old issues coming back up.

Yes, it does get stale. Someone who goes in for a new car every two years can certainly appreciate how utterly boring it would be if we all agreed on everything! Let's get past ancient history and enjoy ourselves - lots of really great folks here!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • rex4johnrex4john Member Posts: 17
    mvine: If you have the cash, I'd go for it; the spoiler looks great! Take a look at the 2001 or 2002 Lexus RX brochure and check out the Vapor Blue RX at the top of the snow-covered hill with it...awesome! Very sleek and sporty, definitely gives the rear some flair. And it (don't quote me on this) aids in keeping the back window clean. As a fellow Vapor Blue RX'er, I went in about a week after getting my RX to check on the spoiler prices. Can't remember exactly, but seemed like around $200-$220 w/o installation. I'd do it if I weren't leasing...thought about asking for the spoiler as an X-mas gift.

Sardead, I'm with you on the service. Even though I went in just for my 1,000 MI checkup. I dropped the car off a bit earlier than my scheduled time, fiddling around in my RX for the maintenance schedule book, looked up and saw a service person looking at me, smiling. Brought me into his office and in 5 minutes, had a cup o' coffee and out the door (work across the street, so no need for a loaner). Got a call and my mini-service was done BEFORE the scheduled appointment. Went to pick it up later, right up front, washed outside, vacuumed inside! I never got this at N!SS@N.

But now I got a infinitesimal scratch (!) on the front bumper. I misjudged the distance in my garage and the hinge of the door grazed my front bumper while coming down. I'm heartbroken! Anyway, my salesperson at Lexus of Southfield, MI told me to bring it in on Thursday and he'll have a guy fix it. I'm crossing my fingers.

Have a good day all!
  • rkgordonrkgordon Member Posts: 13
    To mvine, we just got our white gold crystal 2002 with all the prem value pkg options w/o Nav. We love it. We also found that we really couldn't get this pkg very easily WITHOUT also getting the steering wheel, HID headlamps, crossbars, and rear spoiler (none of these are in the pkg without NAV) This is their wqy of making you pay a few more bucks - telling you they can't get one without the steering wheel etc. -that they'd have to order it & it would take 3 months - I doubt it. Get the spoiler - it looks great - differentiates the Lexus from many other SUV's
    BTW - we love our new Lexus! K
  • jxu1jxu1 Member Posts: 4
    wwest: Could you please post a detail MSG tells
    us where this DRL resistor located and how to
    identify it. I have the similar problem like you
    mentioned in your post #3719 and would like to
    disconnect the DRL resistor. Thanks.
    "under the battery"

Literally...
  • mooretorquemooretorque Member Posts: 241
    nyblues, every mfgr births a lemon now and then. one bad experience (or one good one, for that matter) is not statistically representative of anything.

BMW ain't all bad, Lexus ain't all good and all one can say about J.D.Power awards is that Power seems to find something for almost every mggr to crow about. I've not yet seen the "Initial Ashtray Cleanliness and Quality Control Award", but somebody like Hyundai probably is preparing an ad campaign around it.

I might add that BMW seems to be the only manufacturer who, at this time, has recalls for every one of their model lines due to bad fan thermostat switches that lead to engine fires with the usual outcome being a burned out Bimmer. Which ONLY goes to show that cars have gotten more complex and even the best engineering cannot assure zero defects.

And I agree with clee4: the reference to Pearl Harbor was, at best, tasteless.
    Lest everyone think I've lost my mind, #3730 refers to 2 posts that it appears Tidester has deleted. (Tidester: One I understand, but didn't think clee4's was offensive per se..........)
  • clee4clee4 Member Posts: 103
    I have enjoyed this forum alot and I used the information to make what I felt was an informed purchased of my 01 RX300. As all things have to past, I wish all who visit here to at least be better informed afterwards as I am off to enjoy my "no rattles, no clunks, no squeaks, no problem, RX". As the "Old Man of the Season" says, "To all a goodnight"
  • mvinemvine Member Posts: 5
    Just wanted to thank you for your feedback and let you know I took both your advice and had the blue vapor spoiler put on. It does look great! Personally I like it better with the spoiler. But to those that prefer w/o, I still think the RX is the best looking SUV out there with our w/o the spoiler. Thanks again.
  • rex4johnrex4john Member Posts: 17
    Congrats on your decision! Glad you took the advice. Now find a snowy mountainside and reenact the bochure! Was the cost of the spoiler and installation what you expected? All this spoiler talk has got me thinking about doing it. Anyone know how Lexus is about adding factory accessories on leased vehicles?
    I don't know how Lexus views things, but if I were them, I'd be all for it as long as it was installed by a Lexus dealer.
    You spend your money to "improve" a leased vehicle. End of lease, you a) buy the vehicle for previously agreed upon buyout. So, Lexus got your money, plus some more (the "improvement"). Or, b), you turn it back, and they resell it, for (potentially) a little more than they would have otherwise. So, Lexus gets your money, plus some more, plus more than they had planned on when contract originally written.
    Were I them, I'd be OK with that. (This wasn't meant to suggest in any way that you shouldn't do the addition, just why I think Lex would be happy you did either way. But I'm just a dumb ol' family doctor, not a money-making car company.)
    Please email me.

tidester@edmunds.com

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • rxdcrxdc Member Posts: 3
    I have 99 rx300 with 46500 miles and need to replace rear brake pads, 3.5mm left. During the 40000 miles service, the front pads had 8mm and rear 6mm. But the next 45000 mile service, the front still had 8mm but rear 3.5mm. It doesn't make sense. Anyway I was quoted for $250 to replace the pads. I need your expert advice whether it's okay to bring to the Toyata dealer to save $$. I assume Toyota Highlander and RX300 share same brake parts. What do you think? Thanks.
    For pads only? to much $$.
    Check around.
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    One time at a Lexus dealership, I saw a used RX300 with step rails that looks like a genuine, factory part. It's not a tube type but a flat piece. Color also matches the body. I installed an aftermarket step tube that does not look very good.
  • malhokcmalhokc Member Posts: 83
    You are probably referring to the running boards. I've seem around at the Lexus dealership. I don't know how much they cost. Give them a call.
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    If I remember right, they are made by Lund.

Bill
  • melanjianmelanjian Member Posts: 31
    does anyone know what the correct toyota
    oil filter part number is that will fit the
    01 rx 300 ?? previous post #2807 regarding this
    is a part number i cannot confirm with the
    either toyota or lexus dealer... or is there
    even a toyota oil filter that will work... lexus
    dealer wants to charge $11.53 for an rx oil filter,
    any ideas?????
    divided by 15000 miles equals $.00077 per mile.
    Now, about that Nav system...
    It's a little known fact that Willard is one of about 5 people in the Universe who knows how to program his VCR! ;-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
    Yes, I cover that stupid blinking "time" indication with black electrical tape.
  • malhokcmalhokc Member Posts: 83
    This is the info I was able to gather from previous posts and other resources:

RX uses Toyota oil filter. {Same company, but the filter Box reads Toyota as opposed to Lexus for the GS). Toyota Part number reads 08922-02011 interchangeable 90915-20001 So for folks who intend to get the oil change at Toyota dealership can get the filter from the parts store at Toyota.

Hope that helps
  • melanjianmelanjian Member Posts: 31
    thanks malhokc... but you refer to lexus GS
    part number.... i am not sure i understand..
    thanks again!!!
  • ctk1ctk1 Member Posts: 79
    To melanjian,

Try www.irontoad.com
    Price $5.99 for oil filter & $0.72 for oil drain plug gasket.They carry all OEM lexus parts.I just order some parts for my RX300/2001 SS and it on the way. Send them an email with the parts you need and the zip code, they will quote for you.
  • gdanczykgdanczyk Member Posts: 26
    But I wouldn't take gimpyrx's advise on oil changes. Read past posts to make your own decision.
    $9.95 divided by 7500 miles = $0.00132/mile

$9.95 divided by 25000 miles = $0.08/mile

($9.95 for new SDF-34 filter + $2000 for new engine.)
  • raddboy41raddboy41 Member Posts: 249
    Amsoil Oil and Filters!
    Best Dang products in the whole Dang Universe!

:^)
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Only $2,000 for a new engine for failure to properly maintain it?

Bill
    wwest,

Check your arithmetic! :-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs