Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• pvr10pvr10 Member Posts: 3
    Can the lexus rx300 drive on the beach? has anyone compared the rx to the qx4? has anyone leased a lexus recently and for what price? Thanks
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    ONLY WITH FINESSE !!!
    Test drove it but rejected outright due to lack of head and legroom in 2nd seat.
  • danrxdanrx Member Posts: 13
    VadimZ,
    You will owe me big time afte this one. I found you a better price on the RX, now I may be able to help you with your Trade-In. The only thing left is for me to open my check-book take care of paying for your new RX (Sorry but that will NOT be happening !!!)

You will not be disappointed if you buy @ Ray Catena, but you will lose some $$ if you Trade-In there.

I wanted to Trade-In my 95 Accord w\ low miles (But the bumpers were a mess from parking in NYC streets) and Ray Catena was no where near the Wholesale value on it(Offered me $4800).

I went around to a few Honda dealer's in Jersey ( Planet Honda ) where I bought it offered me, $5500

On my way to Difeo, I stopped by a Honda dealer in Bound Brook ( I have to double check for the exact place but it was on Rte 22 before Difeo). The guy offered me ($7500), It was dark so maybe he did not get a good luck (Hint, Hint, wait till it's dark) at the car. I was expecting that or a little more from a private sale. I ended up keeping the Accord as the work horse and the RX has been pampered ever since.

I also went back to RC to Trade in my 2000 RX w\ 6K on it for a 2001 last summer but unlike others on this board the $7K difference for a 2001 did not make sense to me, so I don't have HID, Wood Wheel, or VSC but I do have an extra $7K in my pocket and no regrets (just a little jealous when I see the HID's )

In conlusion, I will look for the contact name and # for the Honda guy on Rte 22 and will post tomorrow.
  • toydrivertoydriver Member Posts: 227
    Sooooo. How do you know if your rx has an engine sludge build up, that has been talked about in the press? Would it be obvious from checking the dipstick? If the car is still under warranty,
    should Lexus notify the owner of the problem, it they found it during routine oil changes? Can you assume that there is "no problem" if you have done routine maintenance as specified by Lexus/Toyota?
  • vzinvzin Member Posts: 11
    Wow, it's amazing how similar my situation is to yours. And thanks again for your advice on my trade-in, I'm so glad I came across this board. If everything works out (or even if it's not) I do owe you big time.

You said: "I wanted to Trade-In my 95 Accord w\ low miles (But the bumpers were a mess from parking in NYC streets) and Ray Catena was no where near the Wholesale value on it(Offered me $4800)."

This is exactly my situation! Literally word by word, I have a 95 accord with low mileage (64K), it has scratches on bumpers from paking in NYC and RC offered me around 4500-4800 on the phone. But I'm taking my accord tomorrow for a cosmetic paint job, i was promised it'll shine like new. Btw, I can recommend you a russian mechanic in Brooklyn who does great job for half price (downside: speaks no English).

Danrx, do you remeber where on rt. 22 this Honda dealer is? Is it on 22 west, opposite to Difeo?
    And I'll appreciate if you can get their number. Just in case you remember some more info (for example, how to get rich) here is my e-mail:
    vadimzin@msn.com.

As to HID, I'm not sure I 'd select it as an option if I had a choice (it comes as a part of a package). Are they really that great? Those babies are expensive though, (about 1,000 to replace?) and I still have to park from time to time on those NYC streets.

thanks a lot again,

VadimZ.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I just wanted to remind everyone that Edmund's Terms of Use, to which we all agreed when we signed on, forbid promotion and solicitation and quite a few of the recent posts here are getting real close to crossing that line!

Thanks.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
    I don't want to cause any trouble and we are getting very specific here and not everyone is interested so maybe we should take this off-line.
    You can e-mail me at dprosa@hotmail.com for more info.

Tidester, thanks fo the warning, Did not mean any harm.

By the way, I think most of the cars in the North-East come with the HIDs so the price diff that you will pay will be minimal + resale will be better. I sometime drive my friend's 2001 w/ HIDs and those babies are sooooo worth it.
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    Edmund's TownHall site "Engine Sludge?" in the Maintenancew & Repair section is to remove the oil filler cap, and probe around inside the valve cover with a long thin screwdriver. Good luck!
  • dardson1dardson1 Member Posts: 696
    My wife drives an 01 ES300. We both love it. It's solid as a rock. Everything is better than it has to be and considering the great prices last March (as they were ushering out the old for the new), we paid slightly over $30k, very little more than a fancy Camry.
    I would LOVE to have another Lexus but have to have some room in the back for my work. According to the specs the RX has almost 78 cubic feet rear cargo, seats down. While the new Explorer claims 88 cubic feet, it seems gigantic compared to the Lexus.
    I'd love to convince myself the feeling that the RX300 is small is some kind of optical illusion. By the numbers the Lexus ought to be fine, but when I sit in the driver's seat and look back, I find it hard to believe the cargo volumn is just 15% less than the Explorer. Where the heck do they get these numbers? My gut feeling is the "midsized" Lexus is about half the size of the "midsized" Ford Explorer.
    Any thoughts? Inside and out the car looks (size-wise) more like a Toyota RAV than a midsized SUV. Tell me I'm wrong. Absolutely love how it drives, rides, and runs; and that Lexus quality feel goes without saying.
  • mooretorquemooretorque Member Posts: 241
    Let me cut the Gordian knot for you. Go to your Lexus dealer and see if you can demo the RX for the weekend (or even overnight); they should be willing. Take it home and see if all your necessaries fit. Your decision is then made. If it fits, you have another Lexus in the garage. If not, I guess it'll be the Exploder for you.

BTW, we have a 99 RX plus 2 boys, 5 and 7.5, and so far have had no problems carrying all the requisite junk for multinight trips by a family of 4.

Good luck!
  • outrunoutrun Member Posts: 539
    We have an '01 RX, my mom has a '97 Exploder. I believe the '97 has 85 cu ft, the RX has 75 cu ft. There definately a difference in size, but it isn't that great with the seats folded down.

To me, the Exploder has a lot more room with the seats in place. The RX, with the seats up, isn't very big. But the RX seems to gain a lot more space when the seats are folded down. I'm not sure if it's true, as I don't have the exact numbers of cubic feet with seats up/down in both vehicles. But we fit a ton of furniture (in boxes) in the RX with one of the seats folded down (the other side was holding our toddler in his car seat). It amazes me how much it can hold given it's smaller external dimensions compared to the Exploder. It comes down to better engineering of space by Lexus (as well as better engineering in all other areas).

We were cross shopping the Acura MDX and RX. While the MDX had a bunch more space in the back, it had a cheesy interior, was loud inside (road noise), etc.

The RX suits us fine. We have an 18 month old, and another one due in 1.5 weeks. I don't see it being too small for us.

If you need something bigger, did you consider the Toyota Highlander? It's the "extended" version of the RX, although without some of the luxury items of the RX. Then again, for around the same price of an RX, you can get a Toyota Sequoia. Over 100 cu ft of space in that puppy. That was my choice, but my wife, being vertically challenged, shot it down immediately.

-Craig
  • vzinvzin Member Posts: 11
    Danrx, I tried to e-mail you to the address you posted in your previous e-mail but got my message returned with a "address not found" message.

But basically I just wanted to get directions to one of the parties you mentioned above.

If you have chance and if you remember name/contact/directions, please e-mail me to
    vadimzin@msn.com.

No more on this topic here.
    Thanks
    I went to a car site and did a compare on these 3 vehicles
    Here are some #'s on the diff in interior dimensions. These are by no means absolute, diff sites have diff #s for these but it gives you a reference point.

For me, I would still have to go sit and see for myself before making my final decision.

RX300 Highlander Explorer

front legroom
    40.7" 40.7" 43.9"

Rear Legroom
    36.4" 36.4" 37.2"

Front Headroom
    39.5" 40.0" 39.9"

Rear Headroom
    39.2" 39.8" 38.9"

front hiproom
    55.2" 55.1" 55.0"

Rear Hiproom
    55.2" 54.9" 54.3" rear hiproom

Front Shoulder Room
    57.8" 57.9" 59.1"

Rear Shoulder Room
    57.0" 57.0" 58.9" room

Passenger volume -
    110cu.ft. 106cu.ft.

Interior Cargo Volume w/2nd Seats Up
    39.8cu.ft. 38.5cu.ft. 46.6cu.ft.

Interior Cargo Volume w/Seats Folded
    75.0cu.ft. 81.4cu.ft. 88.0cu.ft.
    If the Highlander is 11" longer than the RX what did they do with that extra 11"?

When I went and looked at the highlander it appeared as though the rear cargo space was the same as the RX, looks like I was right.

Rx you measured had a sunroof and the HL didn't, right?
  • dorothyctdorothyct Member Posts: 24
    HID headlamps are worth every penny! (This coming from a woman who really could not have cared about fancy headlamps UNTIL she realized how great they are!)

Test drove and bought my RX w/o ever having seen the HID lamps turned on. The night I picked it up I had to use my lights to get home. Man oh man. These lamps are just one of the *many* features that make me love my RX more and more every time I drive it.

You will not be disappointed.

Dorothy
  • ttc136ttc136 Member Posts: 17
    I am in the marketing looking for my next car and thinking of RX, however I saw the news in the URL below which made me away from RX. might go for X5 or ML.

Do you guys have any problem with your RX ?

http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=38302

You might say they are only human. My wife and I went to the new car show in Cincinnati yesterday to look at SUV's. The ML and X5 are nice, but they are not cheap. Historically, Lexus has had better reliability than BMW and Mercedes. Now that the RX300 oil gel problem is published, we may be able to work with the problem by changing the oil at 3,750 miles as Lexus/Toyota suggests. If we use synthetic oil, we may be able to go longer. The article you posted only covers models up until 2001. Lexus/Toyota could help all of us by stating what, if anything, they changed in the 2002 model to make them think they have no need to cover them in their oil gel policy. Good luck!
  • zielinwzielinw Member Posts: 83
    Does anyone have excessive wind noise on their RX300? The wind noise on mine becomes very noticeable at 45mph, and almost unacceptable at 70mph. The noise does not appear to come from the top or side windows, but from the front of the car.

Any advice on how to troubleshoot the problem? Would the dealer have any methods to locate the source of the wind noise?

Thanks, Wayne
  • beverlypbeverlyp Member Posts: 5
    Yes, the Lexus RX300 has had this engine problem you mentioned.

http://www.womanmotorist.com/ftrs/carlaw-v10-01.shtml

The experience noted in the above link is typical of what has happened with thousands of owenrs with these engines. I think the most important thing to take away from this information is how Lexus has chosen to deal with the situation, first they deny the problem, then they blame the owner, then after enough public and legal pressure is brought to them, they offer an inadequate resolution. The problem still exists.

And what about resale value on these vehicle now that the info is out? Why would anyone buy one knowing this problem could happen at any time, and there is no easy way to look inside the engine to see if the problem it there.
  • beverlypbeverlyp Member Posts: 5
    More info on the Lexus engine problem.

http://autonet.ca/AutonetStories/stories.cfm?storyID=4487

For the moment I will continue to change my oil, Mobil 1 only, and filter every 7500 miles as required.

And I would advise anyone considering this vehicle vs any other to look at the overall reliability picture of the toyota/Lexus product line.

And I would still advise anyone needing REAL AWD to avoid the RX300 like the plaque.
  • jj35jj35 Member Posts: 283
    http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/dai/2002/february/20020211_dai_toyota.xml

Question for those of you who have not experienced engine sludge... Have you received the letter about sludge that Toyota claimed to have mailed out to all 3.3 million owners of the Toyota Sienna, Camry, Avalon, Highlander, Celica, Solara and the Lexus RX-300 and ES-300? I have been checking with my acquaintenances, and only those with sludge have received the letter so far.

• jj35jj35 Member Posts: 283
    My signs of engine sludge were smoke emitting from exhaust on cold start and black chunks of oil on the oil cap. By the time these signs appeared, it was too late. My oil changes averaged every 5,500 miles with the longest interval being the first at approx. 7,100 miles. I have a Sienna that sludged at 17,000 miles and one year old. I now get my oil changed at Toyota every 3,000 to 4,000, but on the last oil change, switched over to synthetic oil and the dealer said I could "extend" the oil changes to 5,000 miles (I have extend in parentheses because this is the SEVERE service interval in my owners manual).
  • parneydudeparneydude Member Posts: 2
    Spent several hours/days looking for a new SUV to replace my leased, thank god, piece-of-**** Grand Cherokee. The RX is the SUV I will purchase. The one I looked at stickered around $39,000 w/o the navigation system.

I need some prices from you gracious readers.
    % over invoice or a dollar amount would be great.

Thanks
    It's true that the JGC is an honest to god piece of (whatever), but it does have an AWD system that you can truly rely upon and an even more robust 4WD system if that doesn't work.

The RX300 on the other hand is a terrific vehicle but its AWD aspect is in name only. It does use a VC for this purpose but its VC implementation is so loose and flaccid it NEVER rises to the occassion.

If you owned a JGC because you truly needed AWD then the RX is not for you.
    Early report.

Today I washed the 911 after having the wipers on for about three months. The water spray definitely beaded up in the wiper swipe area indicating that the PIAAs do leave some sort of residue that prevents water from sheeting on that area of the glass.
  • gambiamangambiaman Member Posts: 131
    I traded my MY99 RX FWD with 30K miles for a 01 for $8K in Nov 00. I've seen posts where the dealer wanted that much to go from a MY00 to a 01. I think I got a good deal although at the time I wasn't sure. I even made them delete the cost of the 30K service that I had just paid for before the trade.
  • sssstevessssteve Member Posts: 49
    I have purchased a CPO "00 RX-300 and am now very worried about this sludge problem!! Since I did not own the vehicle for the fist 36k miles of it's life - I can't be absolutely certain of the maintenance. The dealer gave me a print out of vehicle maitentance (presumably pulled from the Lexus data base) and it does have a few "long stretches" of maitenance visits by the previous owner. I could be presume that the car had oil changes at a "jiffy lube" type of shop - but now I'm real worried!

Any ideas about how Lexus will handle this admitted problem on a CPO car???? After all, they put the CPO sticker on it - and should've therefore known about any potential problems since they have the maintenance records - and made a complete inspection of the car.

I have not experienced any of the reported signs of sludging that have been posted, but I'm now quite concerned about the future since there is NO WAY I can prove the scheduled maintenance prior to my ownership!!!! Am I just getting nuts here? Or does anyone else getthis weird feeling from your CPO RX??
    valve covers removed at your Lexus dealer, and have them inspect for sludge. If it is clean, you are all set for now. If not, I would ask your Lexus dealer to repair the car at their expense. Good luck!
  • kmhkmh Member Posts: 143
    I also own a CPO RX300 and, frankly, I'm not a bit worried. The reason I bought a CPO is because Lexus puts their warranty behind the vehicle for 3 yrs. or 100,000 miles and if there are ANY issues I'll remind them of that fact. So far, I'm pleased with what I drive and will keep up my end of the deal with regular maintenance intervals.
    I simply cannot imagine that anyone having purchased a CPO vehicle would have ANY problems getting Lexus to cover any problems providing YOU are not guilty of ignoring oil and filter change requirements.

The adverse PR would be nothing short of devastating were that the case.
  • mikey00mikey00 Member Posts: 462
    It's interesting that some dealers are recommending synthetic oil with all the news about the Toyota sludge problem. I just checked the Toyota website and they are still recommending a natural petroleum based oil and a warning that if you switch to synthetic not to switch back. I hope that by using a natural oil and changing every 5k, I am not just putting off my sludge problem until my warranty has expired. I hope they come up with some kind of modification to these particular engines to prevent future problems. I hate to see my car listed by Consumer Reports as a used car to avoid because of sludge problem.
  • hlronhlron Member Posts: 113
    I have a Highlander V-6 and checked with my Toyota dealer; they don't even have synthetic oil in their service department. They use Valvoline petroleum based oil. They did state that once in awhile someone will come in for service and bring their own synthetic oil, which the dealer will use for the service (no extra charge, of course). I'm planning for 3,000 - 3,300 mile or so oil changes at my dealer, although my dealer, like the corporation, recommends 5,000 miles...I just fill more comfortable with that. By the way, before this issue came up, I was doing 3,000 - 4,000 mile changes anyway, so it is not much of a change for me.

Also, I'm confident the vehicles with the sludge issue are not enough in number to cause changes to Consumer Reports recommendations....I think overall relibility will still be up there on the scale, especially compared with other makes (hope I'd right!). I'd buy another Highlander, or an RX 300, today if I had to replace my 2001 HL for some reason.
  • mooretorquemooretorque Member Posts: 241
    is my lube of choice (well, there is another that is water soluble, but we may not speak it's name lest the Edmund's censors take offense.....but you don't use it in a car anyway) and my dealer will go and buy the stuff for me if I forget to bring it in since it's listed in the preferences for my vehicle (the GS).

However, I've just used the dealer slop for my wife's RX; url (how we say it down here in Arkansas) changes on schedule, no sludge to date (41k on a '99 mommymobile).

At this point I don't think anyone any longer denies some 3L V6s have sludge; I also think the number is vanishingly small compared to the number of those engines that are on the road. Not that that's any consolation to one who is dealing with sludge. But I'd still play the odds and buy another in a heartbeat (and will when the time comes, making Lexus # 6 since '92).
    Only new, buying used will now be a lot like playing Russian roulette !!!
  • texas83texas83 Member Posts: 107
    I've really been struggling between buying the MDX and the RX300. Seems like I've heard and read that the RX300 is going to be re-modeled next year. Does anyone know if that is true? I asked a Lexus salesman, but he said it wasn't. I don't trust him.

I'm concerned about buying the RX300 and then watching the value plummet. I would buy the MDX, but the seats are a bit uncomfortable. Can't make up my mind.

Let me know.

thx.
  • kuangtickuangtic Member Posts: 14
    I bought a RX April last year and I usually try to keep my car for more than 10 years. I think that although now there are only a low percentage of engines had problems even with 5000 miles oil change after 2--3 years, but as time goes by, more and more of the Toyota 2.2L and 3L engines could develop the sludge problems. The Toyota's SPA is only good for a year, I am still wondering what will happen for people with 2001 RX and get oil sludge 2--3 years later. Is Toyota trying to get people change oil more frequently and delayed the sludge build-up after 5 year/60000 mile power train warranty expired?

I also have a 96 Pontiac Sunfire with 2.2L engine, a couple years ago, GM mailed me a letter saying that a few percentage of those engine has head gasket problem, and the head gasket warranty is extended to 7 years / 100000 miles. Last week, I took that car in to replace water pump (leaking coolant). After changed the water pump, the dealer told me that the head gasket was also leaking, and needed replacement and it will cost $1200. I told them the head gasket is still under warranty and they checked it up and covered that with the GM's warranty. I think Toyota should also do that to make their customers not to worry that much over the long term.

As I read more on this forum and engine sludge forum, I am getting more worried. I have been changing my engine oil every 3000 miles, but I would follow Wwest and switch to Mobil 1 oil as soon as possible. If there is a possibility of 3.0L V6 engine high cylinder head temperature cooking the oil, then it is better to play it safe by using Mobil 1. For 10 years and 100K miles, it takes about 30 oil changes at 3000--3500 miles change interval, it probably costs $540 more (6Q Mobil 1 at $22 at Costco comparing to $4--5 regular motor oil), it is a small cost comparing to the price of $37.5K I paid for the RX.
  • xsfoxsfo Member Posts: 17
    hzhao: Are you sure about the change in length to the next RX300?

You mentioned an increase of 11" for the new model. That would make the next RX300 191.3" in length! To put this in perspective, the LX470 is 192.5", the upcoming GX470 will be about 188.5" and the Acura rival MDX is 188.5". So the 2nd generation RX300 would be almost as big as an LX470, bigger than the uprated GX470 and its rival the Acura MDX?

Wouldn't it make more sense for the new RX300 to be about the length of its poorer sibling the Toyota Highlander 184.4"? The Toyota Highlander uses the same sort of Camry base that the new RX300 would.
    How many times will we see the following from Willy:

"The RX300 on the other hand is a terrific vehicle but its AWD aspect is in name only. It does use a VC for this purpose but its VC implementation is so loose and flaccid it NEVER rises to the occassion."

Truth of the matter is that the RX300 AWD does work, and works rather well for it's intended audience, which is pavement, be it dry, wet, sand, snow, dogs, cats, etc.

It is not, and has never been, targeted as a Jeep Wrangler off-road competitor as Willy always suggests. Hmmm.. Willy. Jeep Willy. Coincedence?

Again, our '01 RX300 drives through snow very unlike a front-wheel or rear-wheel drive vehicle. If it "never rises to the occasion", it would spin it's front tires and go nowhere. It's just untrue.

-Craig
    The only times either of my two Jeeps ever went off-road was to get around so many vehicles that were sideways and otherwise all over the normal ice and snow covered roadbed.

So I AM NOT TALKING OFF-ROAD HERE!

Some of us live in areas where AWD should truly MEAN AWD!

I'm am very glad some of you are perfectly pleased with what Lexus choses to market as AWD, but for some of us the RX just doesn't cut the mustard.

The RX should really be marketed as "partial", or "maybe" AWD.
    I wonder what would be Lexus/Toyota's position on lowering the thermostat temperature say 20F to help prevent coking the oil?

Lower gas mileage for sure and maybe too much polution?
    These two terms have been tossed around so many times that they're interchangable nowadays.

I thought 4WD used to mean a simple, mechanical, 4 wheel drive system that requires the pull of a lever and possibly manually locking the front hubs. While AWD was not mechanical per say, driven by fluid viscosity. One axel slips, heats the fluid, and the other axel would get more power.

Today, just toss those terms out the window. The Ford Explorer/Mountaineer offers full time AWD, but as far as I know, it's mechanical (along with electronics).

Now, Willy, have you ever gotten stuck on pavement with your RX? If so, what were the conditions? Did you call up Lexus to pull you out?

-Craig
  • detectivedetective Member Posts: 10
    This past Saturday I went to a Dallas Lexus dealership checking out RX's. I asked the salesman about any changes for the 2003 model. He did confirm that the RX will have a 3.3 liter engine. He was uninformed on any body changes.
    He further stated that Corporate Lexus doesn't reveal much new model info to them until about two months before it's debut.
    Thanks to everyone that responded to my post about Sludge Worries in a '00 CPO RX-300

I suppose I'm just being nuts - so I'll just jump off that (sludge greased) bridge if I ever get to it. I'm going to have the oil changed some time this week (after 3k since last one) and I'm gonna be real intent on grilling them about the sludge problems. Hopefully they will give me enough info to calm my fears. I guess I am also very concerned about the potential "bad name" that could be associated with the RX and other Toyota vehicles now that this problem is out in the open.

If they offer anything interesting - I'll post it here. But, they probably won't tell me anything that hasn't already been discussed.

Just hope they find a solution to this sludge problem. They're hopefully working feverishly because of the damage this could do to it's core client base.

WWEST: Not too sure if lowering the temp is going to be a viable solution. There will most certainly be a pollution problem if they increase it. Sounds like the temp was raised in the first place to get the emmisions into compliance to start with!

Thanks Again!
    Not a viable solution as a "Corporation" but as a personal solution?
    Aren't you concerned that a "personal solution" ends up equaling a "personal liabilty" in the eyes of Lexus?

After all, its seems like they tried to ignore a bunch of sludge effected owners already! I don't think I'll play that game with them right now!

But - might be a good choice if they don't come up with something.
    Anyone know of an aftermarket oil cooler that can be added to the RX?
    Why don't we get together and fund the developement of an aftermarket oil cooler that taps into the current oil filter mount "access" and includes a better place to mount the filter too?
    That would probably be a good idea! Not just for Lexus but for the many cars out here that have incredibly bad placement of the oil filter. My '99 Toyota 4 Runner comes to mind right away (yeah - another Toyota product!) You need to be contortionist to get the filter changed out! How many more of these are there? And why doesn't Toyota ever follow the ideas of Honda who makes everything so simple!

How far do you think we would get before the idea is ripped off by one of the big players?