Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• zielinwzielinw Member Posts: 83
    I did the same comparison before deciding on the RX300. The highlander is by far a better value if it is bought without leather, and without the 6 cylinder engine.

Unfortunately for me, my wife had to have the leather, of course if she is getting leather, I had to have the nav system. Before long we had to sell the house, and send the kids to the poor farm. But, whatever it takes to keep food on the Lexus dealers table!!
  • sssstevessssteve Member Posts: 49
    OK - had the oil changed on my '00 RX. Was especially insistent on discussing the sludge issue. Started right off with this query.

The "Service Expert" was real quick with me and started a very good dodge / weave. "Look, some of the people out there don't even change their oil for 12,000 miles! I mean the fact that Toyota / Lexus even made this amazing offer to repair damage from poor maitenance just shows you how loyal they are and what a great company they are"! I fired back: "Then why is there a "sudden" spike in sludge problems with the very same V6 3.0 liter motor in both Toyota and Lexus and not showing up on any other cars (to this degree)? If what you're saying is true, then there would also be an equal number of sludging problems with the other motors made by Toyota, right? I mean I don't read about ludged motor problems from Ford, Honda, Chryster, BMW (etc.) If all cars have the same problems - people would never go without an oil change for fear of the inevitable $15k new engine bill! There just something wrong with this story!! (I barked)"

Anyhow, he kept trying to pacify me and did say that the people there (at the dealer) thought that this particular motor does work real "hard" all the time and that it probably just requires that the oil be changed regularly and religuosly. (gee - I've had cars with much smaller motors that really worked hard and I've never even heard of this problem before! Take a Saab 9000 turbo for a hard, fast drive and tell me which motor is working harder! Not buying it!) But - he is a very good service guy and a very loyal fan and employee of Toy/Lex so I've got to give him that!

Longe story short(ened) - the motor is fine. He did say that the volume of oil that came out - and the volume that went in were equal which is one thing where sludged engines will show differences in the ones they've seen / heard about.

Still don't have any idea about where this is all going to lead. But I wouldn't be surprised to see something about a "fix" from Toyota soon. Let's hope.

In the mean time - I'm dedicated to changing out the oil and filter every 4k miles. At least I'll know that I've done my part!

And so it goes
  • tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    But - he is a very good service guy and a very loyal fan and employee of Toy/Lex so I've got to give him that!

Which is a very important part of the relationship with your dealer. By shutting up you basically pick the lesser of the evils (having to take the "line" and making him feel he "got you"), but it's just a little concession to make to keep the peace for future dealings (can you say marital politics?). I did the same thing after my tech was done, as any further scrutiny won't have done anything but aggravate him - the opinion about him is formed though, and it ain't good.

Longe story short(ened) - the motor is fine. He did say that the volume of oil that came out - and the volume that went in were equal which is one thing where sludged engines will show differences in the ones they've seen / heard about.

Makes you wonder whether he really measured how much came out...could ya call and ask...? imageimage

Tarik
  • rlui1rlui1 Member Posts: 93
    It's not fair to compare the HL to the RX. Although they're built on a similar Camry frame, they are in two different leagues. The fit and finish of the RX is superior to the HL. For example, I rode in a 2002 HL today and it just feels cheaper (not to mention the looks). The doors are so much lighter than my RX which feels so much more solid an luxurious. For the most part, the RX is made from higher quality materials. I've also driven the HL and it's just not the same.
  • tpricetprice Member Posts: 46
    We purchased 2002 RX 3 weeks ago. Prior to going to Lexus dealer to complete the purchase, we stopped in at a nearby Toyota dealer to test drive an HL, etc.. We were trading a 2000 Camry XLE (purchased from this dealer). For curiosity we asked them give us their best deal (with full knowledge of our Lexus deal and our intent to complete the deal that evening). Anyway, RX MSRP was $39,400 and HL was $35,300. "Best" net deal was $500 more for the HL than RX. So much for trying to retain existing customers, build customer loyalty, etc.. Admittedly, we were already pretty determined to go for the RX beofre we stopped at Toyota but this settled the question for good. Perhaps it's supply and demand but I think it's crazy (and arrogant) for them to present a deal that's $500+ on a vehicle with an MSRP that's $4,000 less - with a straight face to boot. This whole sludge discussion is something that I plan to keep close tabs on. Same engine as in the Camry we traded so guess we would be needing to keep our awareness up in either event (i.e., keeping or trading).
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Life's NOT FAIR...

If Toyota wanted/expected to sell lots of top end HLs then they might as well discontinue the RX.

A top end HL price doesn't NEED to compete with ANY RX price, the HL is clearly aimed at the low end of the SUV market.
  • mooretorquemooretorque Member Posts: 241
    I dunno, folks. Obviously, Willard's point is valid. But sales are all about not only supply and demand but perception. Don't know how things are over in the ol' Toy pipeline for HL, but Lex dealers will obviously have a b*ttload (merely misspelled "boat", my Edmunds censor friends) of RXs around. So deals abound even though the RX is the most popular Lex.

Over there on the Toyota lot, there might not be so many, esp of the higher end HLs. So the sales guys have more of an advantage ("better get this one NOW, cause I've got a customer on the other line WITH CASH IN HAND, BEGGING!!!! but you're here right now and I'm not gonna tell the sales manager about the other guy....") and (maybe, in theory) are a little more high pressure (oh, surely not). So I can see a scenario such as tprice describes unintentionally (from the standpoint of BIGDADDY CORPORATE TOY/LEX) coming to pass. Toyota and Lexus in the US are entirely seperate divisions. There shouldn't be any such crossover of price points, but obviously, there will be. Surely, Toy/Lex had to have forseen......or did they?

Guess this is good news for savvy shoppers of $35k sport-utes........
  • kmhkmh Member Posts: 143
    Appreciate both your posts and experiences at the dealerships regarding the oil sludging. I had planned on 5,000-mile oil changes when I first bought my CPO '99 RX. I may take it in and have them confirm my RX's engine is fine and start doing changes at 4,000 miles.
  • gambiamangambiaman Member Posts: 131
    I finally checked my AC filter today. I have had my 01 RX for since Nov 00 and it has 24K miles on it. The AC filter was filthy. Does anyone know if the Toyota Highlander has the same AC filter. I would like to get a replacement and the Toyota dealer is much closer than the Lexus dealer. And probably cheaper also.
    Go to home depot and but a good furnace filter and use its "inards".
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    Make sure you ask any salesperson named "McGver" to find the right furnace filter to dissect into pieces for your $35-40k RX300's HVAC system.

They also carry paper towels (cures Lexus' endemic windshield defrost problems) and local maps (cures Lexus RX Navigation System problems).

Finally, you can probably find bags of sand to carry in your RX to cure the AWD shortcomings - just "Dump 'N' Drive."

You know...better yet...just check the Home Depot parking lot for old Town & Country AWD mini-vans that are up for sale and find out if the owner will take your RX in an even trade....

Problems Solved!
  • mikey00mikey00 Member Posts: 462
    www.irontoad.com has the AC filter for $21.15. You have to e-mail them. It's not listed on the website. When it comes time to change mine, I will probably just make one from a furnace filter as suggested above.
    I don't think the Highlander has a A/C filter. Maybe someone on the HL forum would be kind enough to look in their owners manual and give you an accurate answer on that.
  • wcpwcp Member Posts: 40
    But don't know if it is the same as the RX.
  • finch3finch3 Member Posts: 113
    Definition of sludge=nonsense!
    I think the brand I bought was filtrete, I bought the largest size available and was able to make filters for my GS, RX, and had enough left over for a third.

$15/3 $5 each.

It wasn't the money, it was the opportunity to best Lexus out of $100, well maybe only $85.
  • lordkamalordkama Member Posts: 23
    Hello!

I wonder what people are paying for replacement wipers (inserts). Does the Highlander use the same blades? I wonder if it would be cheaper purchasing from the Toyota dealer versus Lexus dealer.

BTW, What should one have done at the 10,000 mile service besides, oil change, tire rotation, and torque drive shaft flange bolts?

Thanks for you help!
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Umm..

Go to AutoZone and buy the Bosch Micro Edge Excels.

Kick-[non-permissible content removed] blades.

Bill
    I should have asked the question on the Highlander forum. I want to use a Toyota filter. If I use a homemade "Home Depot filter" and it increases the resistance to air flow it will increase the load on the blower motor and could conceivably burn it out or make it fail prematurely. Unlikely but a risk not worth taking when you compare the savings to the cost of a replacement blower motor. Imagine going Lexus saying my blower motor quit working and they find a AC filter made for a home type AC unit installed.
    Your blower motor would likely blow a fuse rather than burn out.

That is much more likely to happen from a clogged filter than a "home brew".

You can actually build a better, more efficient and freer flowing, "home depot" filter than a factory one by using more filter material accordian style.

The Bosch micro excels are available at most Target stores.
    Do you know if Bosch Micro Edge Excel inserts will fit the RX blades or do I have to buy the whole blade.
    I always just buy the whole blades myself... easier, and.. I figure those blade holders must be a tadworn as well, right?

Bill
  • levyroblevyrob Member Posts: 22
    Our 2000 RX 300 with 24000 miles just started making a rather "crunchy" sound when braking with anything other than a feather-foot. The pads were just inspected and are reported to be at only 20% wear. The sound is rather like metal-on-metal, and the pedal feel is nasty. It's almost as if they're wet, but all the time. Very disconcerting. Any thoughts on what the matter might be?

The other concern is a "clunk" that is heard when first backing out of the driveway and taking off in drive. I know I'll never be able to get the dealer to duplicate it. If anyone knows the likely cause of this clunk (or can point me to the right message thread) I'd appreciate, because the car has got to go in anyway.

Thanks.
    I have the same noise on my car. It was said to be the brakes automatically adjusting.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    I had a problem that the dealer could not duplicate on 4 visits. It occured early on cold mornings on a particular road. Same road, later no noise. Even leaving it over night. Finally the service advisor came to my house at 7 am with a loaner and we went for a ride. He heard it immediately and took my car in. Turns out it was a strut that had a TSB but they didn't want to touch it without duplicating the noise. Have them come to your house.
    It is very possible to burn out a blower motor without blowing the fuse. You apparently do not understand the purpose of fuses. Fuses are designed to prevent wiring from over heating due to current overloads, not to protect the device they are providing power to. That said it is unlikely that a "homemade filter" would damage the blower motor. It is just a chance I do consider wise and am unwilling to take. By the way the present filter is already accordion style.
  • tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    Fuses are designed to prevent wiring from over heating due to current overloads, not to protect the device they are providing power to.

I surely hope you have no saying in electrical questions within NASA, and the condescending statement regarding someone else not understanding the purpose of a fuse is a farce. Where do you suppose the possible current overload originates? Maybe it has to do with a fan motor's inability (due to external influences) to spin at its nominal speed? Geez, that's electrical engineering 101...

Willard's right!!!

Tarik
  • dielectric7bbdielectric7bb Member Posts: 324
    what do they make electric motors out of??? wires??? or do they use super high-tech stuff for blower motors nowadays? Anyone ever seen a motor melt itself...FUN!!!

Fuses are designed to protect a whole electrical system. Blower motor/wires/computer chips/...
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I thought they made fuses to light off firecrackers! ;-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • jse75jse75 Member Posts: 5
    Hi all,

Discovered yesterday afternoon that some ingrate ran a key down two feet of the front passenger-side quarter panel of my SilverSport RX. What a bummer. It's only 6 months old, too.

The scratch is deep, down to the primer in some parts and metal in others. In addition to being ugly, it ought to be repaired.

Does anyone in the Bay Area have a good recommendation on who could do this the best? (Should I consider the dealer, or go elsewhere?) Any thoughts on how much it will cost?

Thanks,
    -jse
    Has anyone on this thread used the All Data (www.alldata.com)database? It say's it has a complete database on servicing, and the full text of the TSBs.

I have bought the manufacture's service manuals in the past, but the prices are getting beyond reasonable!! For example prior service manuals cost: 89 caddy $ 180, 92 nissan $200, 97 infiniti $300 (gulp!!), 2002 RX300 over $400 (and still not available).

The Alldata database appears to be a better solution as it only costs $30, and includes the TSBs, but I have not had experience using it.
    Left out a word, meant to say compress th existing accordian folds even more, but not tightly, to create a freer flowing filter, in the car's smallish A/C filter "holder".

Fuses and CBs in you home are rated to limit the current flowing to a wall outlet for which there is, will be, an unknown load. In that case a major part of the equation is wire size.

Most fuses in an automobile have a known maximum load, in this case a completely stalled dc motor for which the stall current is quite definitive.
  • k2rmk2rm Member Posts: 205
    I live in Berkeley/Albany area and someone carved a swastica in the hood of my Axiom after it was only one month old. I feel your pain. I took it to cooks collision in Clairmont, they did a superb job, can't even tell the difference now. They were very professional and they detailed the car inside and out afterwards. I was impressed. They have several shops in the Bay Area, their website is:

http://www.cookscollision.com/cooks_home.html

My comprehensive deductible was $250 and the total came to $435 which seemed reasonable to me.

Good luck
    someone carved a swastica in the hood of my Axiom after it was only one month old.

Grr.....

Now Im pissed off for the night >:(

That sucks.

Bill
    (who is Jewish)
  • ravlravl Member Posts: 129
    I've been wondering if this feature might have anything to do with this particular engine's troubles with sludge/oil gelling. I live in SoCal and am annoyed by this feature in our climate, so I can only imagine how annoying it becomes in much colder climates. IMO, having the engine rev at high RPMs waiting for the vehicle to shift out of 2nd is not good for the engine. I've never owned another vehicle with this feature (delayed shifting to allow for tranny fluid warmup is how I understand this function) and got to wondering if this is truly good or is it bad for the engine to rev high rpms when it's cold?
  • cew4cew4 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to purchase my first Lexus. Have the opportunity to purchase a 1999 in the CPO program that is fully loaded. I just wonder if the VSC, waterproof glass, and other 2001 changes are worth paying extra money for. Can someone help me?
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    My Maxima has the same delayed shifting, but it only delays to shift into overdrive (4th gear). I'm in North Cal and most of the time I don't see my 2000 RX delay for a long period, or rev at very high RPM.
    BTW, I received Lexus notice of proper maintenance to avoid engine sludge. That makes me concerned more than before. I don't know if some day I'd trade it for another car. My RX has been driven low mileage, about 16 miles everyday. 20 months now and it's got 11K miles. If I stick to time interval for oil change, I don't even see the oil gets old at all, absolutely no color darkened; if I stick to mileage interval, then it may take one year before next oil change...
  • ctk1ctk1 Member Posts: 79
    I don't have the 02 but I have the 01 RX/SE. This is my wife & the baby's suv. Here is my opinion:
    VSC: Did not have enough snow here in New England to test it, or I am chicken to push it when conering. I am sure it is a safety option for suv. I buy it because this option.
    Water proof front driver & pass glass: Help to increase the visibility when driving under the rain. It is a plus to me
    Xenon head light: Yes, this is a great when driving at night. It is a big help for those who wear glasses. Totally different night driving experience compare to regular halogen head light.I buy it because this option.
    Navigation: I do not have it. I rather stop at the rest area to read the map then look at the navigation while driving (not safe). Wife only drive locally.
    Sludge: Not happy to hear it. Decide to switch to Mobil 1 synthetic oil and change oil by myself. Just did it at 9000 miles.
    Sludge is an issue you may take into consideration. Make sure the dealer warranty on the engine or you may buy extend warranty since the car is 1999. Check record to see if the previous owner has all the record to show the car been service from the lexus dealer.
    Or you may wait for 2003. Rumor... the RX will have a new engine 3.3 liter for this model year. I am not sure abou that.

Good luck
    If you have ANY need of four wheel traction then check to see that the 99 has rear LSD. If you are older, like me, you are beginning to lose your night color vision and HID is a BIG help plus it actually does give more overall lightiing coverage.

If you do get a new 01 or later be sure and get the VSC, TRAC and HID.
  • yakoubyakoub Member Posts: 1
    I have a friend here at work that is interested in buying a 2002 AWD RX300. I don't know the options he's interested in, but I do want to be able to give him an idea of how much over invoice would be the best he can expect.

Also, I bought a GS430 from Magnussen Lexus and had a very good experience there, would someone agree or recommend my friend go elsewhere?
    I had the same question, my results were:

Cost benefit of new 02 vs used 99 caused me to choose the 02. Excellent 99s were going for in excess of 29k. Beater 99s were going for 24k (outrageous)! New 02s going from 37k.

The Nav system is nice, and the state-of-the-art for built-in systems, but it needs alot of improvements before it is ready for prime time.

Sludge issue -- on the 99 have a valve cover pulled, and look inside, no sludge, no problem.
    Back in the late fifties and early sixties you couldn't open up an engine with any decent number of miles accrued within discovering sludge caked everywhere, regular oil changes included, less than 3000 miles back then.

As far as I know the sludge did no real harm to the engine, we would clean it up/off, do repairs as necessary, put the engine back together and drive another 50k.

So...

I suspect the Toyota/Lexus sludging problem is localized to some "hot spot" area where a build up of sludge can slightly restrict the further flow of oil and now the oil that does get to the hot spot gets heated to an even higher level. Soon the area is severely restricted and you have an engine failure.

Bottom line is I simply wouldn't trust a simple looksee under the valve covers, I would insist, adsolutely, on seeing solid maintenance records unless it were a dealer "Lexus certified"
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,684
    someone carved a swastica in the hood of my Axiom after it was only one month old.

Grr.....

Now Im pissed off for the night >:(

That sucks.

Another Bill
    (who is a thoughtful, intelligent human being who will never be able to understand the stupidity and ignorance of so many other human beings.)

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

I took my 01 RX to Toyota for the 25K oil change yesterday and while I was there asked them the cost of doing the 30K service at Toyota. He told me the price ($369) and they changed all fluids except brake fluid, which the RX manual recommends changing at 30K. He said Toyota did not recommend brake fluid changes ever and that Toyota did not recommend using synthetic oil (I brought my own Castrol Syntec rather than use their QS, the Lexus Dealer also uses Castrol Syntec). After they had finished he said he had talked to the service manager and they recommended I have the 30K service performed by Lexus since they did not have the proper fluids/tools to perform the service. Even wrote that on the receipt. He said the Highlander used different transmission fluids and other fluids from the RX. He seemed surprised that the SM did not recommend them doing the 30K service since they had done 30K’s on ES 300’s. Whether he was correct or not I do not know but the bottom line is that for major services I am stuck going to Lexus. Which is inconvenient and more expensive. It seemed strange since I have seem many posts where people were having their RX’s serviced by Toyota. This Toyota dealer is a fairly large dealership with a completely new building and service facility. The Lexus dealer is owned by different owners and is a joint Lexus/Toyota dealer.
  • ficklefickle Member Posts: 98
    Well, don't feel too badly, gambiaman. Here in Hawaii, one company owns all Toyota and Lexus dealerships. We've been told by the Toyota service department that they will not service my dad's '91 Lexus at their service department. Can't cut down on costs here in paradise!
    Although the RX and HL are the same in many respects I guess we are finding subtle differences when it comes to service. I also noticed the air filters from aftermarket sources have different part #'s for the two.
    Mike
    Lexus is a single marque shop with a relatively small and extremely reliable installed base so their service bays are undoubtedly HURTING for revenue. They need your money to survive!

Let the gouging begin, and continue.

Toyota doesn't recommend brake fluid change outs, ever, get the message?
  • ray00edm1ray00edm1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I have a 2002 RX300 4WD. Only get about 15MPG. Is this normal? I live in OR so it is not all that cold. Any advise will be appreciated. Thanks.

Ray
  • mtm13mtm13 Member Posts: 9
    I've been looking at the RX300 as a possible replacement for my JGC ever since I got my wife a GS300 last fall. I am trying to figure out exactly what the SilverSport option is? It seems like it was only available on 2001 models, but I'm not for sure about that. Can anyone enlighten me, as I have not decided yet against a brand new '02, or possibly a low-mile 2001.

Thanks
    If, during the time you have had the Jeep, you oftentimes had to rely on its part-time mode (locked center differential) or needed the use of snowchains in any mode, be very careful about buying an RX or an HL.

These vehicles have a very poor AWD implementation, much less "robust" than the JGC's fulltime AWD, and due to poor suspension clearance snowchains cannot be used on the rear.

While the T/L owner's manual recommends the use of snow chains ONLY on the front, Toyota/Lexus is on record admitting that this can be, potentially, an extremely hazardous configuration.

It is NEVER a good idea to have more roadbed traction on the front vs the rear, and chains on the front with none on the rear takes this to extremes.

Take a long hard look at the ML320, the X5 or if you can do without HID, VSC and TRAC, even the MDX.

Other than a higher price and poor back seat leg space, the ML looks stellar.

If you should decide to go ahead with a used RX (or HL) the only way to protect yourself from the possibility of engine sludging is to see the previosu owners unimpeachable maintanance records or buy T/L certified.
  • ravlravl Member Posts: 129
    I have a black (only other color is silver) SS and love it. The package includes the Eurostyle grill, sport tuned suspension, smoked badging, color exact lower body cladding, black perforated leather seats, brushed chrome where there's wood, silver accessory racks on top. There's also special floor mats denoting the special edition.
    As far as I know, 2001 is the only year to have the SS made. It's a head turner, for sure.