Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• mooretorquemooretorque Member Posts: 241
    Wifey's 99 RX AWD has averaged 17.2 mpg over approx 42k of mostly suburban miles. However, we are only 250 ft above sea level. What's your altitude? Also, how many miles on your 02? Finally, urban mileage, esp in the heavier AWD, is not tremendous. Mileage will be a little lower initially as the engine breaks in (and this process will extend well past your 1000 mile recommended break in).

And pls don't quote those EPA numbers. For a number of reasons, realistic mileage is usually around 10-12% lower. Remember that the EPA cycle is very well defined, and mfgrs actually can fine tune their engine ECUs to eke out that last 0.1 or .2 mpg ON THE CYCLE. Only use EPA numbers to compare vehicles, not gauge your real world mileage......

Give me (us) a little more data, pls, and we can make some better guesses.
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Want the best 4WD SUV?

For off-road use?

Land Rover silly!

Bill
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    Willard needs a HUMMER:

1. The windshield folds down = No Defrost Problem!
    2. Off-road capability? None better.
    3. Nav? Nav? You don't need no stinkin' Nav when u drive a Hummer, dude!! Just latitude and longitude.
    4. Hit a deer? What deer? Won't even feel it.
    5. Home Depot Parts Kit? Probably could replace half of the Hummer's body trim parts with stuff from HD.

I rest my case.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    brentwoodvolvo/jeffmust2

I notice you do/say noting to refute/rebutt my statements, just off-subject snide remarks.

Clearly, you are both exceptionally bright folks, can't you better than that?

Don't you think the thread readers are more worthy of honest on-point opinions?

I have not, nor will I discuss off-road capabilities of any of these vehicles, I have no need.
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    Lord knows someone has got to try it; I have to put up with your old, tired rants every time someone on this board mentions "AWD" in the same breath with "RX300."

Hey, you bought the wrong vehicle for your driving style and geography. Quit whining about it - either live with it or get rid of it. Better yet, swap it with the T&C AWD minivan you gave your daughter in So.CA - bet she'd be thrilled. You know the RX is a chick car anyway, right?

I do take exception about my off-subject snide remarks - they are NOT off the subject!

"I notice you do/say noting to refute/rebutt my statements, just off-subject snide remarks."

Noting but the tru (ok, ok, it's a typo, but I couldn't resist).

"Clearly, you are both exceptionally bright folks, can't you better than that?"

No. And I get a sick, strange feeling reading your words of praise - like the pilot in "Airport" asking the little boy - "Timmy, do you like to watch Gladiators?" Please restrain yourself in the future.

"Don't you think the thread readers are more worthy of honest on-point opinions?"

Yes - and I hope you get some soon.

"I have not, nor will I discuss off-road capabilities of any of these vehicles, I have no need."

Uh..earth-to-Willard..no..one..asked..you..to.
  • fasterthanufasterthanu Member Posts: 210
    Someone asks for information on the Silversport and Willard chimes in with yet another dissertation on AWD systems. Some things regretably never change. It is just too repetitious and banal. Edmunds or ClubLexus, I just can't escape this guy's broken record routine.

MTM13 - if you want an unbiased and reasonable opinion, take a look at the past posts in this forum. You'll find that the vast majority of RXers really do find the RX fully capable for its intended purpose. One of the car mags (R&T or MT) had run a comparo of the designer sport-utes, and they ranked the RX 3rd, behind only the MDX and X5, and ahead of the ML, Montero, and others. It wasn't the best performer off-road, but it made it through all the trails as the others did.

And keep in mind that the RX has AWD, Vehicle Skid Control, great braking performance - all contributing to a good performing vehicle.
    Have I ever said I didn't like the RX, and I must admit that my wife likes it one helluva lot more than I do. Call John Bode of Oxnard Lexus and ask him just how loyal I am to the marque. And by the way doing business with John is a really good idea if you happen to need a Lexus in that area.

Nothing is perfect, and Lexus cannot fulfill their motto, "The Relentless Pursuit of Perfection", No no scatch that, now its "The Passionate Pursuit of Perfection" if someone isn't willing to step and tell them where they have gone wrong.

Behind the MDX, really?

What was the basis?

I hope that was pre-01, otherwise I'm going to be really embarassed.
  • subalsubal Member Posts: 9
    I am currently getting 15 mpg around town and at best 23 on the highway at 75mph.
    In comparison, my 2001 S type Jag gets 16 around town and 24 on the highway with a 275hp V8. I think the RX300 is slightly under powered and the over drive geared too low. I came to this conclusion after driving from Los Angeles to Oregon, which included a considerable of long up hill mountain driving.

Allan
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Let's not bicker over silly off topic matters!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    You doofus.

I am messing with you.

I think you're really overanalyzing this whole situation.

Lighten up already :)

Bill
  • explrsportexplrsport Member Posts: 34
    It was "Airplane!", not Airport...and the line is,

"Joey, do you like to watch movies about...Gladiators?"
    One of the all-time great lines.

And as a "thread reader" of this board, I'm sick of Willard too. Although, I do blame Lexus for the RX not being able to climb large boulders. What the hell were they thinking? I want my RXHummer300!
  • mikey00mikey00 Member Posts: 462
    My wife (2001 AWD) is getting 19.7 mpg on her daily commute, which is a 40 mile round trip. The driving could be considered slightly above city but nothing near highway. She also has a pretty light foot.
    When we go on a trip things don't improve all that much. With me driving (heavier foot), and speeds above 70 mph we get about 21. But I guess I can't blame Lexus. After all, the window sticker only claims 22 highway and I am admitting I drive above 70 and have a heavy foot when it comes to the gas pedal.
    I do find that the RX is geared much lower than other 6 cyl cars I drive. I just wish it had one more higher gear for that low reving highway mileage. I really think that someone who does a lot of highway driving should take this into consideration when shopping.
    My Olds Alero (6cyl, 170HP) gets 34mpg in the same highway situation. Thw window sticker only says 32. The Olds is geared much higher which I like. Of course it is also much lighter, only 2wd and can't be compared with the RX.
  • ravlravl Member Posts: 129
    My mpg reading is at 17.7 for around town driving. Last year, with a/c, we were in the 15's for around town.
    I'm a leadfoot and like quick starts at stops, so I pay for my deeds in gas mileage.

Willard, not to beat what appears to be a dead horse here, but with Jeeps, the GC offers selectrac and commandtrac. Don't quote me here, but I think you're comparing the selectrac (shifter in console for shift on the fly 4wheel hi and stop and shift for 4wheel low) with the RX's system. A better comparison is with the commandtrac system. I *think* it's more like the RX's AWD.
    I also think more people drive GCs with the commandtrac rather than selectrac.

Not sure about my words, but I am sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong! :)
  • tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    Please e-mail me here.

Tarik
  • zielinwzielinw Member Posts: 83
    After reading the owner's manual on the RX300, I noticed they recommend waxing the car once a month. Seems excessive (I may like my car, but not that much).

I thought that a clear-coat finish did not need to be waxed (at least, that's what I read in 1989, the last time I read a manual). Do clearcoats really need frequent waxing? As a representative of the lazy part of society, I am appalled!!!
    I try to remember to disable overdrive whenever I realize a long incline is coming up, sometimes I forget and evantually the engine reminds me.

JGC AWD setup. I tried to word my statement so it would be transparent to the type of AWD setup. Hopefully the statement applies to anyone who has had to use, successfully so, a "true" 4WD (locked diff'l) or snowchains in any mode on any vehicle, not just the JGC.

Point being that the RX has neither capability.

"Just messing with you."

Telling jokes over the phone oftentimes does not work because the recipient doesn't see the cues from the teller's facial and body expressions.
    explrsport, it is "Airplane" but the character's name is indeed Timmy.......I think he now drives an RX300 (notice how I work the Lexus reference in to stay under moderator radar.......this is related to my "Mr. Subliminal" tactic of previous posts).

zielinw, use Zaino and you wax twice a year. I never recall clear coats being advertised as not needing wax, though. Not that my memory is what it once was.......
  • mtm13mtm13 Member Posts: 9
    ravl - thanks for the info on the SilverSport option. That is exactly what I was looking for, and I believe you are right about '01 being the only year. I live about 1/4 mile from the local Lexus dealer and try to keep up with most of the Lexus line that interests me on a regular basis, but that option had slipped past me.

Fasterthanu -- thanks for your input too - I have considered the X5 as a serious off-roader,plus the increased luxury factor, as a trade to my JGC. I had always discounted the RX as a serious contender due to the fact that it doesn't have serious off-road capabilities and the engine performance is a little less than what I am currently used to.

Before everyone starts typing immediate replies about the spiritedness of the Lexus V6- let me tell you where I am coming from.

I have been driving Jeeps for over 7 years, and my current one is a '00 GC Laredo with fulltime 4x4 (called Quadtratrac - not commandtrac, which was an older option name on the Cherokee's, never the Grand), the 4.7L V8, the offroad suspension packages, leather, sunroof, and about everything elese you can put on the Laredo except an engine heater. The 4.7L V8 makes this Jeep one of the fastest SUV's on the road (except the 4.4i & 4.6i X5 or the MB M55) and believe me I drive it that way as well.

So, that being said - I love my wife's GS300 and the Lexus is the smoothest driving, best designed car we have ever owned and it made me really reconsider the RX. I know I will have to live with a little slower acceleration, though not bad at all by competitve standards across other manufacturer's SUV's, and the smoother ride, upgraded luxury factor, and overall longterm reliability of the Lexus make the outright power of the Jeep's V8 negotiable.

I have rarely taken my Jeep off road to the extent that the RX could not follow most of the way. So I would have to live with the AWD system of the RX and stay closer to the paved roads than the mountains, since I have to travel to get to them anyway.

I have read through months and months of posts trying to pick up on any peculiarities of the RX and besides random problems that have been easily fixed under warranty, this mystery "Sludge" thing seems to be the only possible problem. That seems to be avoided though by regular oil changes, and I have always been a stickler for 3,000/3 month changes anyway.

All in all, since I can't get my hands on a GX470 for at least a year, and then those will be hard to get a good deal on for several years more, then I might as well get an RX for awhile. Plus my wife won't switch cars and let me drive the GS while I have the Jeep.

Thanks!
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,725
    For the first 1000 miles of all local driving, avergaed 17.7 mpg in wife's RX. The next 1k with a bit of highway miles, up to 18.6.

She just loves her RX. I'm enjoying the free car washes and muffins. That's the only time the evil wife lets me drive it, to get it washed. Nice.
    At least I got the "free" hat and golf shirt.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• bcjacob1bcjacob1 Member Posts: 39
    We're getting a real bad smell from the exhaust of our '01 RX 300 AWD. Any one else have this prob or know what's causing this?
    mtm13:

like many others you seem to equate the need for true, or real, AWD, with off-roading. Not knowing what part of the country you are from it is hard to know just how to respond.

I oftentimes travel in the wintertime, snow and ice covered mountain passes, and sometime miles and miles of "high desert" highways continuously driving on slippery stuff, or if not continous then unpredictably intermittent, as in black ice.

So when I asked if you had even had need to use the Jeep's full-time system, or snowchains, it wasn't in regard to off-roading of any type or style.

Having said all of that I'm pretty sure from the way you described your Laredo that your really meant to say Quadra-drive, not Quadra-trac (which I think has now been discontinued).

If I am right and you have been driving around in a Quadra-drive equipped Jeep, you have no idea how poorly the RX will perform in comparison.

The Jeep Quadra-drive, while complex and expensive, and maybe therefore not so reliable, is recognized as the end-all and be-all of AWD systems.

It has the ability, full-time, to send 100% of the engine torque to any one of the four driven wheels.

IMMHO, only the X5 will come evn close.
    I just watched it, to make sure....it is JOEY. Timmy sounds better, though.

"Joey, do you ever hang around the gymnasium?"
    explrsport, OMG, I'm now insane with jealousy and sheepish/chagrined at the same time. I bow to your firsthand knowledge and am envious that you have the reference material at hand.

"Roger, Roger." "Huh??"
  • brs1brs1 Member Posts: 17
    Hi everybody,

I didn't read this discussion lately, I was quite
    shocked by the February posts about sludging.

I am planning to keep my '01 RX for at least 8 more years. I am trying to understand what I could do to minimize the risk of sludging in the future. Obviously, I am changing oil every 5K miles. Are there other things I could do?

1. Some people suggest that switching to purely
    synthetic oil would prevent this problem. Is there any good evidence that this is true?
    If so, which oil brands/products should I use?

2. I am currently using 87 gas (cheapest) which
    is allowed according to user's manual. AFAIK
    a gas with lower octane rating burns at lower
    temperature than a gas with higher rating. So,
    does this mean than I am better off staying on 87
    in order to avoid sludging in the future?

Any comments/critique/suggestions will be very much appreciated.
    I think we should ALL impose on Lexus to tell us EXACTLY the root cause of the problem so we can make a sensible and reasoned decision as to what path is best all around.

customer_satisfaction_inquiries@lexus.com

or toyota.com for HL or camry owners
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    but it is my understanding that they may be suggesting oil changes at 3,750 miles. Good luck!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I think you're on to something! How about Z squared and two dubya! ;-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
    to tell you what the root cause is? I agree with you that it is vital information, but lawyers have changed the way business is done in this country.
    Bow before my great knowledge! :-)

Doctor: "This woman is very ill, and we need to get her to a hospital immediately"

Stewardess: "A hospital? What is it, Doctor?"

Doctor: "It's a big building, with patients"

They use that kind of joke 3-4 times....and it's still funny.
    explrsport, I AM a doctor, and I do indeed crib those lines........

mrrogers, i believe that the letter was posted here about 100 posts back. I know a copy was posted over on Club Lexus.
    about the Lexus/Toyota oil gel letter. Is my memory correct that they recommended oil changes at 3,750 miles?
  • mtm13mtm13 Member Posts: 9
    To all I know this is the RX forum and not the Jeep page, but I have to clarify something for WWest and any other interested parties.

WWest -
    Thanks for your reply, and by noticing large numbers of your posts in the GS300 discussions as well as this RX area, I believe you have a greater than average knowledge of automobiles. However, concerning the Jeep 4WD systems, you are a little confused. There is both a QuadraDrive and QuadraTrac full-time 4WD system.

The Quadratrac system has been around at least since '92 when the first Grand Cherokee debuted as a '93 model (it might be older than that, but it is the first I actually started following and owning Jeeps). This is the standard 4WD system on all V8 equipped 4x4 JGC's. The QuadraDrive is the newest fulltime system developed on the Q-Trac system when the JGC was redesigned for '99. It is an optional upgrade from the stnd Q-Trac system.

Q-Trac allows torque to be distributed from front to back in whatever percentage is needed, but it applys that percentage of torque equally to both wheels (R&L).

Q-Drive improves on that by allowing torque to be distributed F to B and individually L to R, so that 100% of available torque can be sent to one wheel. This means as long as one wheel has traction, you can still move.

Sorry for the length, back to RX discussions.

BTW, I was at the Lexus dealer getting my GS first oil change done, and was looking at an RX in the showroom. They had optional (non-Lexus) 17" wheels with 255/60/17 tires and it looked really sharp. A little beefier look definitely. My question is - has anyone added larger tires to the standard 16" wheels, and if so, what was the largest size anyone successfully used?
    This is a link to a post on CL that is purportedly a quote (how's that for hearsay?) from Lexus' website:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38296

All I can find evidence for is 5K changes.

mtm13, 235s will fit, but that's it without spacers. Rear strut clearance is the problem.

mtm stated he had a Laredo with v8 engine and jeep indicates that in 00 that configuration only came with Quadradrive.

Hince I didn't think he had quadra-trac. And you're right but doesn't Jeep now call it Quadra-trac II? I have no idea what the differentiation is, would be.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    I have a '99 RX and am very happy with it. It is my first Lexus. I keep my cars for at least 10 years. I get my car serviced as per the manual at Lexus. (I know I pay more.) My last car, a Volvo, I kept for 15 years. I went with Lexus because of their safety and reliability. I haven't received a letter from Lexus yet but when I read the letter sent by Toyota/Lexus I am not happy. Why are they saying they will only cover this problem for one year? I intend to send a letter back to them saying that is not adequate, I expect more from Lexus. I want to urge everyone to do the same. Even if I don't keep my car for 10 years this will have a tremendous impact on resale value. As far as I am concerned I don't fault Lexus for the engineering problem but they way they respond will determine whether or not I ever buy another Lexus.
    Is that within a one year period all vehicles already with a problem will have been "serviced". Any problems cropping up after that will be the responsibility of the owner not making him/herself knowledgeable of Toyota/Lexus engineering defects and thus having the vehicle serviced under the "ROUGH SERVICE" schedule.
    The Toyota oil gel article talks about 5,000 mile oil changes. I thought I remembered seeing 3,750 mile intervals mentioned on the Edmunds Engine Sludge site, but I looked over there, and could not find it.
  • mikey00mikey00 Member Posts: 462
    If anyone has not received their sludge letter and wants to see it, I scanned mine and posted it here.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?s=5161f1e4e614a781af30fb037473ff95&threadid=40816
  • trainman5trainman5 Member Posts: 1
    We previously owned a 2000 RX 300 and have no real complaints. Our new 2002 RX seems to ride smoother and has more power using less throttle. We just turned 800 Miles so I haven't been really getting on it very hard, also haven't been too easy on it. I have been keeping the RPMs between 2000 and 4000 RPM during the break in period. Still notice quicker acceleration at the lower speeds than the 2000 RX. We did get the GPS Package which included more equipment. The car came with more standard stuff like Trac and VSC and auto dimming mirrors inside and out. Also included was the HID Headlamps and more. I can say that I am really glad that we went for the GPS option it really works well. I hope some of this helps anyone in regards to the 2002 RX 300. Mike
  • raddboy41raddboy41 Member Posts: 249
    THE HORSE IS DEAD!!! Which horse? THE SAME ONES YOU'VE BEEN BEATING FOREVER!! Geez....:^)
    I just rode my "dead horse" 7.5 billion miles, 22.5 hours out and back, Nasa lost their 1972 vintage PDP-11 computer in 2000, no funds, we loaned them a NEW PDP-11, guess what?

There are no dead horses.

Sorry, its rather hard for me to be "down" this morning.

Oh, I'm sorry, my mistake, I didn't realize you might have meant the entire RX product line due to the sludging issue. You might be proven right within a few years.

Shame, really.
  • zielinwzielinw Member Posts: 83
    My GPS display remained blank for over 25 minutes after starting the car today. The car was parked outside in temperatures as low as 25 degrees.

Is this blanking of the LCD during cold weather a normal occurrence? After 25 minutes the display returned to normal. I know this type of display has been in Lexuses for several years, I'm surprised no one has mentioned it.
    Friend of mine left his laptop in the unheated cockpit of a 747 overnight, dispaly didn't work for several hours the next morning.

Normal.
  • ctk1ctk1 Member Posts: 79
    Yes, it's normal with the LCD display when it expose to cold temperature. It take a while to get back to normal display.Lower temp will take longer time to get back to normal. It's take me about 3-5 minutes for the LCD back to normal, car is parking inside the garage, when the temp outside is 32.
    In your case, I don't think it's blank. If you start drive at night at same temp, you will be able to see the LCD lumination (very low lumination but still be able to see it). Due to the daylight, therefore you can't see the low lumination of the LCD and it look like blank.

Hope it helps
  • sirlinsirlin Member Posts: 2
    Hi:
    Toyota Highlander's first year model did not have the cup holder-storage bin between the driver and front passenger seat, which allows access to back seats without having to go outside, like a minivan except tighter. Is there a RX300 that is like this? I see my friend's 2001 RX300 has the center occupied by the cup holder-storage bin. Thanks in advance for your help.

JL
    "Is there a RX300 that is like this?"

No. All RXs have center console.
    But you probably could remove it.

That's what I did with our 94 Aerostar.

I notice the new Chrysler T&C allows you to move it to the space between the second seats.
  • devlopperdevlopper Member Posts: 44
    Lexus is admitting to a problem with oil gelling and they want to be sure that the blame does not come their way. If it is indeed true that proper maintenance will avoid gelling we have nothing to fear. If however, anyone experiences gelling with proper maintenance, then their letter turns out to be smoking gun. I have been in and out of the lemon laws and feel I have a good understanding of what it takes to beat a manufacturer. This letter is simply ammunition.

With that said, I could not be more pleased with my 2001 RX and I will let them service the vehicle and I will save the paperwork.
  • ray00edm1ray00edm1 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for people who responded. It seems that getting 15-17 mpg for city driving is normal. I should expect 20-22 on Highway.

I am wondering if any mistake in using the wrong type of engine oil will cause low MPG.

Ray
    Not unless you give yourself a sludge motor by using 90W. If you use 10W30 instead of 5W30 (for instance), no worries.