Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    your posts become.

And your post above is pretty long. Pretty soon you'll have to list a website link.

Gosh, if you REALLY want to correct your RX300's defrost, Nav, and AWD - and just not whine about them - why not let Mrs. Willard have a shot at it?

Looks like she fixed the Porsche/Audi/VW, right?
  • lakeannalakeanna Member Posts: 5
    DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN PURCHASE THE EXTENDED WARRANTY 7YRS/100,000 PLATINUM FOR THE RX 2002. THE DEALER WAS CHARGING $1925.I SAID NO WAY.
    THANKS
  • paulblue02paulblue02 Member Posts: 9
    I am one of the happy Rx300 owners or the vehicle so nice I bought it twice. I recently sold by '00 to upgrade to an '02 for the engineering changes and to get the Nav. Just took my first extended trip in the '02 "after" the break-in period and the vehicle and Nav were excellent. After reading WW's numerous posts (most recent regarding "dimming" of the Nav screen or OMG how do I???... it's not automatic so I can't cope) about the problems and issues he has are in fact operator error. Just take a few day off work and go back and read his posts (his style is more War&Peace vs.Cliff's notes so it will take a few days) and you will see the common thread of operator error.

However, in order to provide Willard an out (and provide fodder for his conspiracy theory) I am willing to kick-off the "Let's buy Willard's RX fund" . In order to demonstrate my money is where my" mouth is I pledge $500.00 to get thing started. After securing enough funds I propose we buy the car and put in up for action on e-bay. I can see the e-bay post now.... slightly used, low mileage RX. Many features never used due to operator error of previous owner;-) YMMV
    BTW, the ;-) does NOT mean this is a joke. This is a serious offer... and operators ARE standing by...
  • wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    This is meant as a constructive comment and not a personal attack. I've read your past research with interest.

"After the snowstorm here the other evening in which the RX performed much more admeriably than I would have expected, wife in passenger seat ..."

Since your RX300 performed better than what your considerable analysis of the vehicle's capabilities have led you to believe, could that suggest that perhaps you have missed something, or that sometimes theoretical reasoning (no matter how accomplished or well-intentioned) doesn't always translate into real-world performance?

I do think the M-class may be more suitable to your desires if you can talk your wife into it (and if not, I guess it is the snow chain and winter tire route for your RX, or, if your wife insists on a Lexus, perhaps the upcoming GX470). I agree that M-class quality has improved though it's still barely (if even) at the "average" level as defined by Consumer Reports. But the trade-off for quality issues (most of which nowadays are more repeated annoyances than actual vehicle breakdown, at least), are some excellent engineering and safety features not available on the RX and many similar vehicles (true 4WD, full-range stability control system, proven crush-resistance roof structure, etc.).
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    www.warrantygold.com lists a platinum warranty on a 2002 AWD at just over $1000. I would suggest bying it from them.
  • psuhebpsuheb Member Posts: 1
    I have been told that Pat Goss, the Auto Expert from Maryland PBS, advises that the Oil Gel Problem is an Toyota Engine Design problem due the PCV restrictions from a redesign. It is not a problem caused by oil change maintenance.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    This is a serious offer... and operators ARE standing by...

If it were serious, I'd have to remind you of Edmund's Terms of Use forbidding solicitation on the boards! :-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • paulblue02paulblue02 Member Posts: 9
    Not really a serious offer ;-) Just trying to make a point. Sell if you are THAT unhappy, buy what will make you happy, and then happy motoring :)

Considered me sucessfully admonished :-(

Tidester, you are a busy man! BTW, I am enjoying your posts in the new Social ...forum.

HW would not recognize you there. No chance he will see this in this forum since he drives a F/S and does not venture into this neck of the woods, so your secret is safe with me ;-)
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    My point has always been that I question the functionality of the RXes AWD setup. When I read in the T&C shop manual about the extra "gimmicks" (that's exactly what I first thought) they use to facilitate their AWD operation, and then compare that to the RX, I can find no other explanation for the disparate designs except that the RX is less complex and therefore less expensive.

It becomes clear that if the RX doesn't have these extra gimmicks, then for some reason it doesn't need them. There are then only three possible explanations for this.

1, T/L doesn't care for the RX owner's safety. I cannot really buy into the validity of this one.

2. T/L has found another way, other than the T&C's over-running clutch, to "uncouple" the rear "drive" from the front drive during moderate to heavy or severe braking. Unlikely, but in reality the jury's still out on this one.

Anyone else have something to contribute?

3. Just as Eliot Lim suggests, the T/L VC never tightens up enough that it represents a problem in this venue.

For a multiplicity of reasons I have chosen #3 as the most probable answer. I'm sure most of you already know that I don't care much for FWD vehicles. I think, ultimately, they are far more dangerous than any RWD vehicle.

Then I discovered that snowchains could not be used on the rear wheels of the RX.

Neither the RX, nor the HL, can legitimately be called an SUV, they're just minivans with large wheels.

And with ton of "chick" appeal.

"Theoretical reasoning..."

My previous Jeeps (85, 92) oftentimes would NOT really get up and go in their full-time AWD mode in slippery paved roadbed conditions, and I would have to resort to the "part-time" (locked diff'l) mode. Additionally there were a few occassions when I had to install snow chains on all four wheels to get around.

Not theory - FACT.

I consider the RXes AWD mode to be much less "robust" than the Jeep. But snowchains seemed a viable backup for not having a locked diff'l mode.

The RX did indeed perform admirably the other night. But we did drive around a big section of Bellevue trying to find a way north that wasn't already jugged up by sideways and just simply abandoned vehicles. In my Jeep I would not have hesitated to help someone blocking the roadbed out by towing or simply manuvering around them.

I just don't have that level of confidence in the RX, and absent being able to use snowchains safely, I likely never will.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    BTW, I am enjoying your posts in the new Social [Issues: An Autmotive Perspective]...forum.

Thanks! Invite all your friends to join in the fun! It will be a Town Hall featured discussion starting Wednesday!

HW would not recognize you there. No chance he will see this ... so your secret is safe with me ;-)

Shhh! Our posting rates would plummet if he didn't have a host to debate! ;-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • outrunoutrun Member Posts: 539
    Sport Utility Vehicle.

Land Rover (anything). Sport? No.

Jeep Wrangler. Sport? No. Utility? No.

BMW X5. Utility? No.

Even the RX300 is not very sporty.

Unfortunately, the term SUV is being way over used. Who knows who created it, but it applies to anything that's higher off the ground than the sedan it's based on (or truck platform), features 4WD (at least as an option), and doesn't have a trunk (open space inside). That fits the bill from the Honda CRV up to the Chevy Denali XL.

How sporty can a vechicle be that's been raised higher off the ground to fit the SUV definition? They all handle like crap (except the BMW X5 and Mercedes ML55). But again, the X5 doesn't have Utility, and the ML55, well, maybe that's the only SUV out there, and an E55 is much sportier.

The majority of vechicles that uphold sport and utility are sport wagons (Subaru WRX Wagon, Audi sport wagons, etc).

-Craig
  • bobfloydbobfloyd Member Posts: 32
    a good forum. In my opinion it no longer is.It has unnecessarily deteriorated to an attack, I can beat you, snide remarks, look at my words, listen to me, I know it all....GOTCHA mode. Enough of the monopolizing back and forth posts on the same subject for weeks.I miss the interesting varied content we used to have. Does anyone else?
  • sfjacobssfjacobs Member Posts: 1
    Anyone have a problem with their rear struts. I have a 2000 RX300 that makes an awful noise when I go over speed bumps and the car is cold. This only happens when the temperature outside is less than about 40 degrees. When the temperature outside is warm, I don't hear anything.

Any ideas?

Steve J.
  • kmhkmh Member Posts: 143
    ruski - what the heck happened? Did you get scrapped or what?

sfjacobs - I experienced the same problems with the struts but ony on the front ones did I hear the noise that sounded like my beloved RX was falling apart! My rear struts were squeaking. I took my RX in and the dealership is ordering new strut supports for the front and new sway bar bushings for the rear. The fronts had a Technical Service Bulletin regarding the noise from the front struts but I'm not sure about the back. HTH.
  • ravlravl Member Posts: 129
    The last three vehicles I've owned have had problems with strut noise when the car is cold. When it warms up, quiet as can be. This problem dates back to my 1985 Camry, followed by a '99 Rav4L and now my RX300. With 8,000 miles, I'm already starting to hear it. The Rav4 started at 12,000.

I equate it to the popping noise in the moonroof(occurs when cold a/c air is inside and hot air is outside). Just one of the quirks that you learn to live with. Because getting it truly fixed is probably impossible. The only way I could see the strut problem being eradicated is if they installed superior componenets vs. what comes from the factory. YMMV.

I once had a dealer quote me $900. for new struts and a timing belt change. I went to my local mechanic and he lubed the strut mounts. It lasted a few days and the noise came back. The struts never failed, but they sure were noisy in the cold weather!

There is no danger involved with the strut pop and squeak. They're annoyances is all.
  • ravlravl Member Posts: 129
    I have to disagree that this has degenerated into an unpleasant place.
    I think this is a nice mix of people.
    If everyone was all nicey nice, there wouldn't be as much interest in the group. You need opposing viewpoints to make a conversation interesting.

'Sides, compared to usenet, this place plays like "friendships" on the playground. Tidester keeps things in line just fine. :)
    from Bobfloyd post #4667:

"...re GOTCHA mode... Enough of the monopolizing back and forth posts on the same subject for weeks.I miss the interesting varied content we used to have. Does anyone else?"

No.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    I had this problem with the front struts. Only heard it when it was cold and then only for the first 4 or 5 minutes and only on a certain kind of bumpy road in the morning. Lexus couldn't duplicate it. I was nearing the end of my warranty so I had a service rep come out and ride with me at 7am. He heard it and they replaced the front struts.
  • lordkamalordkama Member Posts: 23
    Get this...

I called local Lexus dealership to have oil changed and 2 other things looked at. The car is a 2001 AWD RX300 with 8500 miles. I asked for a loaner. I knew it was a long shot to get because I was in for oil change, not the "expensive" 15,000 or 30,000 mile maintenance. They service manager said I did not qualify for a loaner because I DID NOT PURCHASE THE CAR FROM THE DEALERSHIP.

Granted, I went to another dealer to purchase the car because the price was about $2200 cheaper.

What happens to the person who buys a car, then moves to a different state?

I thought the sales and service departments are separate entities in the dealership.

I did not take too kindly to his words.

Was wondering what your experiences with loaners are with your service departments.

Sorry to rant... I just feel I spent all this money and my service is not much better than regular Toyota.

What do all you think?
  • gsenthilgsenthil Member Posts: 154
    are really a courtesy the dealer extends towards his customers for long term benefits to the dealership.

I bought mine in AZ and gave it to 2 diff dealers in Seattle and always got loaner cars. Even if you bought from a different dealership, when you get an oil change done, you do pay for it right? So you should have the same rights as those who bought their RX from that dealership. Its unfair to treat you so. See if you can speak to the Service Manager or if there is another Lexus dealership.

Senthil
    SPORTS Utility Vehicle, NOT "sporty", sports, as in skiing, camping, fishing, etc.
  • mooretorquemooretorque Member Posts: 241
    lordkama, that's preposterous! But an example of what I have, unfortunately, been reading of more and more in the last couple of years: a continuing process of regression to the mean. Lexus made it's name on two things, initially. One of those things was a service experience such as was not seen outside of bespoke, low volume mfgrs. It seems to me that, as Lexus has added more dealerships, the quality of same has decreased. Both sales and service seem to be approaching the old "business as usual" aspect of mass market dealers.

It's too bad, really; apparently many of us bought Lexus after experiencing crappy attitudes down at the ol' BMW or Mercedes fishin' hole and now find our dealers are aspiring to be just as big a pile of stinkbait as the competitors (pls pardon all the bad puns and mixed metaphors above.....I'm just a dumb 'ol Arkie doctor).

I've had (or have) a total of 5 Lexus' since 1991. Likely my next car will be number 6. But I sure miss the old days.......even if they weren't too long ago or very old, either.
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    wife did it.

Hopefully it won't cost a fortune to fix.
  • knicksfanknicksfan Member Posts: 1
    I couldn't get a loaner from the place that sold me my car recently! (Manhattan Lexus). And they wouldn't let me bring my car in without an appointment - even though I had a "emergency light" on.

I drove my car (and my future business) to another dealer. I recommend you do the same.
  • silly1040silly1040 Member Posts: 48
    Two other sites you might want to check out.

http://warrantydirect.com/index.asp?^

and

http://www.1sourceautowarranty.com/

This site was down when I checked though.

They both provide alot of information to look over. I choose 1 source because they covered GPS.

• outrunoutrun Member Posts: 539
    Willy,

Since when can't I put a ski rack on my Honda Accord and go skiing?

Since when can an RX300, RAV4, CRV, or any other car-platform tow a medium sized boat with reliability?

Again, there is no "Sport" and most SUVs.

-Craig
  • karen_tnkaren_tn Member Posts: 22
    I'm going in on Monday for service. What does the 10,000 mile service entail? I dont really want to pay for all the inspections however I'm wondering if I need to just to keep the warranty in effect. Will just an oil change suffice? I know I can read the manual but this is easier. Thanks!
    Your "next" recommended service is at 15k miles unless your vehicle qualifies for rough service duty as defined in your owners manual. Or at 12.5k miles assuming you did the first incorrectly at 5K.
    and while we are at it...what do I need to get done at 15k? The Lexus dealer says he will replace all fluids but will cost about $400. I had the 10k service done at Toyota. What do I need to get done apart from Oil/tires?

Thanks

Senthil
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide has this info for most cars.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • raddboy41raddboy41 Member Posts: 249
    Remember, if you're running AMSOIL you won't need to change that oil until 25K!! :^)
  • pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    If you have the luxery of being near more than one dealer, get a quote. I saved over a hundred dollars on the 30K service by not going to my friendly neighborhood Lexus dealer.

Pete
  • rlui1rlui1 Member Posts: 93
    Should I service my RX based on the number of miles and ignore the length of time between oil changes? I don't drive too many miles so I'll have the car for six months before I reach 7,500 miles.
  • sssstevessssteve Member Posts: 49
    I just rec'd my (dreaded) letter from T/L about the sludge issue on my CPO '00 RX-300. Comes with a service complaint form in case you need to make contact with them.

Sure wish they would find the problem (and admit to it) so that a solution can be found.
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    I am in the same situation. My 2000 RX has only 11K miles now. I bought it in June 2000. I think there used to be an old saying "3 months or 3000 miles, whichever comes first". I usually receive a reminder from the dealer, wait for a month or two then go in for oil change.
  • john339john339 Member Posts: 229
    An article from the 3/13/02 LA Times on the Toyota engine sludge failures. Article mentions an RX300 owner who had to buy a new engine for $8000.

http://cgi.latimes.com/class/highway1/yourwheels/20020313/t000018575.html

• grumbgrumb Member Posts: 21
    I have a 2K RX that is off lease towards the end of this year. My wife is interested in another one, but only if it has the third seat. Does anybody know if there are any plans for this? I do not want to get into a traditional SUV or the dreaded Minivan to get this and I love Lexus

Thanks
  • tgif888tgif888 Member Posts: 351
    is not good for Toyota...
    Taking my RX to Toyota dealer for 15k service. I am taking my own Mobil 1 oil. Manual also specifies replacement of engine oil and filter. Should I let the dealer use his own or can I buy a better one on my own?

Thanks

Senthil
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    Pines Lexus in South Florida. Does it sound a bit steep?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Reality check here:

The Edmunds Maintenance Guide

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Sorry I meant transmission fluid & differential oil in post 4695 above.

Senthil
    Who said 15k service required tranx and diif'l fluid change-outs?
    along with the engine oil and filter.

My Lexus Service Advisor told me that it's the only way to make sure that the Navigation, Defroster, and All-Wheel-Drive systems operate at their best.
  • tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    You got me once again with that headline, I actually thought you had finally surrendered to the "safe crowd", LOL!

There's been an M3 owner on this board who changed the oil every 500 miles, after he drove the car "hard" as he put it! He claimed that his German piece of engineering needed that - Darwin is calling...

On the RX, trans and diff fluid must only be changed in 30k intervals, IIRC, had mine done four weeks ago.

Tarik
  • mooretorquemooretorque Member Posts: 241
    grumb, you'll need to look at the GX470 then..... best speculation is that that role (ie, 3rd row seating) will be filled by the GX; the RX will remain with 2 rows.

excuse me, i've got to go change my windshield washer fluid on the advice of my service advisor......it's on "rough service" schedule....
  • rlui1rlui1 Member Posts: 93
    My fleet manager told I should use high-octane gas in my RX so it will run better and to get better gas mileage. Has anyone noticed a difference in vehicle performance (e.g., acceleration) or gas mileage when using 87 vs. 91 octane?
  • toyotas1toyotas1 Member Posts: 134
    Then.....why is the RX getting redesigned? I've sat in it more than once. It doesn't need head or legroom, (I'm well over six feet). It doesn't need more luxury. Power is very good (cold use a five spped auto plus 20 horses). Sales are strong as an Ox.....I don't know.....
  • toyotas1toyotas1 Member Posts: 134
    Then.....why is the RX getting redesigned? I've sat in it more than once. It doesn't need head or legroom, (I'm well over six feet). It doesn't need more luxury. Power is very good (could use a five speed auto plus 30 horses). Sales are strong as an Ox.....I don't know.....