Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    I rejected the QX4 after trying to set in the back seat comfortably. Try it first, no legroom nor headroom.
    Given the financial stress most Lexus service shops are under, selling needless "extras" just to turn a buck, you can bet most of them are using CHEAP recycled motor oil purchased in bulk.

How would YOU ever know?
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    Hi bigorange30,
    My "overall quality" is basically from readings of consumer report, online sources, etc. Today my friend will show me his 01 QX4. Yes my "overall quality" is not quite accurate. It refers to attention to details, quietness, smoothness, etc. From reading I know QX4 is more for true off-road that will probably not happen to me. All misc add up. I rocked the inner door handles on RX and QX4. RX is a little solid. My friend's 01 QX4's quietness is about the same as his 93 Maxima which I think will not be as quiet as RX...
    Anyway I haven't decided to definately get RX. It'll be between QX4 and RX, not any other car.
    ravl:

01 911 has the same basic design "outline" as the original 911, therefore "yesterday's 911". But otherwise a whole world of difference. I have a 78 Targa which I was quite thoroughly in love with until I brought the new "baby" home.

Cayenne. The looks are mostly appealing except for the TT frontend copy, which if at the rear could be called butt ugly. But the real off-putting is that NO ONE needs 450 HP any SUV and not even 300 for that matter.

I predict that the "greenies" will make this the poster child for all that is wrong with the SUV craze, and quite justifiably so.
  • sssstevessssteve Member Posts: 49
    Speaking of auto dim mirrors - my '00 RX has the auto dim mirrors (I believe they are standard euip) and I really DON'T LIKE THEM! I don't like that they go off on even "slightly bright" lights coming from behind and there is no "sensitivity level" control. Especially annoying are the dimming side view mirrors (at least IMHO).

After years of having to reach up and flip the lever to tilt the mirror - I don't want the car to do that for me! Let me decide. I can handle it! I swear!

Asked the service techs at Lexus if they could convert this to a "normally open" switch and let me push the button to activate and I get a dumb look! How hard could this be Lexus? A fuse contact replacement?

Sure - a cool feature - but at least make it a driver's choice for activation!

just my 2 cents
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Heheheheh...

Tell your 911 to say Hello to its' Great Grandpa:

That's my Baby...a 57 356A Coupe

Bill
    That's "father" to my 78 911, grandfather was a true "beetle".
  • ravlravl Member Posts: 129
    When I was growing up, my father used to be into restoring and selling cars. His favorites were Corvairs and Porsches. He had a bath tub (was there a 356B?), a 911, a 914 (for a minute!)
    and when I got old enough to drive, we got into mid to late '60s models mustangs, firebirds and camaros.

Hence, my love of talking vehicles. Not a lot of chicks care about cars like I do. Oh, to have some of those classics now.....
    I can appreciate your sentiment about your Porsche being 'dated', but the difference is in the class it exudes. The only Porsche, IMO, that didn't exude class was the failed 914. And, at the time it was released, I wasn't crazy about the 944, but have grown to appreciate it because of its class.

Minivans are just yesterday's news.
    I bet the biggies would tell you the same thing. Their sales are probably way off in minivan share of the market.
    I dunno man...

I figure that the true Successor to the 3.0SC is probably the 1st gen 911, before that the T5/T6 356s.. Prior to the the 356As (And I suppose I could throw in the late Pre-As) and before that the..ohh.. Gmund cars.

See, while the REALLY Early 356s (I.E. the Gmund cars) did use a lot of VW parts, they were always designed as sports cars, while the VW was designed as an econobox, hence the name.

Bill
  • kmhkmh Member Posts: 143
    On my '99 RX, the auto-dimming has a on/off switch on the rear view mirror. Doesn't yours?
    Personally I cannot understand why Porsche killed the 968, the 968 convertible had to be one of the most beautiful and best designed cars ever made.

And yes, my 01 Rx has a switch on the autodim mirror also.
    Because the Die-Hard Porschephiles dont like radiators.

Bill
  • mooretorquemooretorque Member Posts: 241
    Willard & Bill: I agree on both counts. One of my closest friends has a 968 Cab; Porsche hasn't made anything since that has tempted him into selling.

Gorgeous car. Monster performance.
  • clee4clee4 Member Posts: 103
    The auto dim switch only works for the single operation. When you cut off the motor, the system reverts back to the default condition of auto dimming.
  • stacystacy Member Posts: 91
    Ok, so this has probably been asked, however, can someone please just quickly review for me. Are they changing the body style for 2003?
    Why does Coach pkg w/ Nav cost less than the regular Nav package? Do you lose premium package options (other than leather) and have to buy them in addition to Coach package?
    Anyone have Coach, any thoughts?
    Is Nav system good or problematic?
    How much are we paying over invoice for the RX?
    Lexus used to give $500 off if you now own a Lexus and another $500 off if you used Lexus financing - Are they still doing this?
    Should we get aftermarket chrome and/or different tires or the Lexus chrome package?
    MUCH APPRECIATION for any info you can provide.
    THANK YOU for taking the time!
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    Hi bigorange30,

I took a test drive of my friend's 01 QX4 2WD, only city drive, a few minutes at about 40 MPH. That really changed what I thought/guessed. At idle it's as smooth as RX300. Shift from N to R or D, I feel just a little more than RX. I'd say overall noise at 40 MPH is about the same as RX. During acceleration the engine smoothness is very close to RX. I think I'll try on highway in the weekend.
    It's really hard to decide. Each car has got more this and less that. I can't have both worlds. Maybe I have to toss a coin to decide...
  • fantomfantom Member Posts: 211
    While I enjoy the Rex that is the daily car for my wife, and I own a Boxter S which is a most reliable fun sports car, I would take back my 968 in a New York minute if I could. It was an under appreciated and probably a bit over priced, GREAT all around ride. IMHO the 996 is a great car that is, relatively speaking, greatly over priced when compared to the Boxter. Of course there is no AWD Boxter available. The new 430 isn't in the same league.
    Yeah - I think there is a switch to shut the mirrors down - but as clee4
    states - it reverts back to "normal" after engine shut down.

But that's not my point. I just want it to be "normally off" and let me
    reach up and tap the button to activate it when needed like we have been
    doing for umpteen years. As it is now I have to keep remembering to
    reach up and tap it to off every time start the car when it's dark!

No big deal - so I don't get that there's no way to have this altered.
    When, for a brief period, I sold Lexuses...

Someone said "We decided against the SC430, we got a 911 instead" I replied with "I would have done the same thing"

:)

Bill
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    but it came down to 2 things for me. First and foremost, my wife didn't like the way it looked. She thought it looked too much like a car or stationwagon. She says the QX4 and 4Runner that we narrowed it down to were more real SUV looking. Second, the Infiniti dealership was willing to do a much better deal than Lexus was. I figure I got the QX4 for about $5000 less than I could have bought a similarly equipped RX300. They are worth about the same in my opinion.
  • kmhkmh Member Posts: 143
    I understand your situation. I, too, wondered if there was a way to reverse the process and have the default to "off" instead of "on" for folks, like you, who prefer that choice. Maybe someone here might know more, but the owners manual doesn't seem to mention any other choice besides default to "auto" mode.
    Cover the rearward "looking" photocell with matching cloth tape.
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    so then the default position of the auto-dim mirror will be "off" and any unsuspecting drivers will be blinded by headlights without a clue how to fix the problem.

Especially older drivers that have bad night vision to begin with...

Of course, that tape would be a leftover piece from the McGyver's "Home Depot" A/C filter behind the glove box, right?
    Cover the rearward "looking" photocell with matching cloth tape to which is attached a bright red streamer which says "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT".

Or more succinctly, "REMOVE TO ENABLE AUTO-DIM".
  • nylexusnylexus Member Posts: 1
    Guys,
    Thanks for all of your posts. I've learned a lot and recently purchased the RX300 with all options except Nav (got a price of under $36K and used the postings as a price point). Quick questions - I noticed that the SUV rolls backs very slowly when I am stopped on a slight incline at a stop light with my foot off the brake. Is this normal? My other car is a Camry and that doesn't roll back at the same incline. The angle of the road is not that steep so I'm a bit surprised. I just passed 1,000 miles.

Also, given all the sludge problems, should I force the dealer to do the 5K complimentary service which includes an oil change at 3K? Lastly, I noticed that the RX300 is suppose to come with a "Key Plate" so that if I lose the key, they can make a duplicate without changing the computer. Mine did not have the Key Plate and when I called the dealer, he informed me that it was nothing to worry about and they could get the same info from the vin number. The dealer also told me that many news 300's don't have the plate. Doesn't sound right given that the manual says the Key Plate should come with the vehicle.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Don't know if you should worry about key plate or not; you could call the Lexus Customer Satisfaction # in your manual. They should be able to enlighten you as to whether the dealer is feeding you a wad of crud.

Re rolling. Likely you have different idle speeds with the speed in the Camry being high enough (or the Camry light enough) that your transmission kept you from rolling backwards. FYI, it is NEVER a good idea to use your transmission in that fashion and especially not to allow the vehicle to roll backwards when in gear as you describe. Unless you like replacing automatic transmissions. Then it's ok.

Congratulations on your new RX. Speaking from the perspective of wifey's 4 yr old RX, I think you'll still be happy way down the road.
  • seanyuseanyu Member Posts: 2
    Just bought an used loaded 2000 RX300 FWD (30k miles) for $25,000. I like it very much overall but annoyed with the the loud engine sound around 2500 +/- 150 rpm at every gear (either in acceleration or freeway cruising). Otherwise, it is very quiet at other engine speeds.

Haven't contacted dealer yet (a bit far. Really appreciate your comments.

Thanks,

Sean
  • joanziejoanzie Member Posts: 51
    Will be taking a long trip, what brand of oil should I use if I have to add, a quart or does it matter since I probably will not be able to buy the brand you all say Lexus uses! Thanks.
  • clee4clee4 Member Posts: 103
    I use Pennsoil, 5W30. This is what the dealer says they use. Or do they just filter the old sludge oil through the furnance filters?
    It's called re-refining and since oil doesn't wear out I suspect that in most cases it's just as good as "new" eons old dino stuff.
  • rxsterrxster Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone heard about any additional incentives on the 2002 RX's in Texas?
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    I checked Edmunds for Dallas, TX and there were no incentives. You can check it for any zip code by make and model.
  • gambiamangambiaman Member Posts: 131
    Both of the Lexus dealers near me use Castrol Syntec oil (10W30) and it's also what I use when I take my RX to Toyota for oil changes. Toyota here uses only Quaker State so I buy the oil at Walmart for them to use. Keep thinking of changing to Mobil 1 but have not done so yet. Since it is generally not recommended to mix oil types you could buy a quart of whatever they are using and take it with you. The odds of having to add oil is slim though. The last time I had to add oil between oil changes was in my 85 Chevy Van in 1990. The Honda and Toyota products I have been driving since the late 80's have never used enough oil between oil changes to require adding oil.
    Have a leased '99 RX. Will lease a new one again so need factory tires. My '99 came with Bridgestone Duelers, they did not last that long but gave a pretty good ride. Replaced when worn with the Goodyear Integrity's - noisy and harsh ride, and I dont think they grip the road as well. Are there any other choices? I want traction and a nice ride for my AWD RX. How are the Michelins I keep hearing about - the LTX or MTX or something. Are they a factory choice - are they much more expensive? Appreciate a response. Thanks.
    They'r Michelin CTX (Cross Terrain) tires.

Have them on my '00 since Jan and really like them. Improved the ride, grip, handling - just better all the way around
    stacy, you have been on the two factory tires for the RX.

I've had CrossTerrains on wifey's RX for more than a year now. May not be a better choice out there. Expense? Well, $124 each from TireRack vs about $54 for the Goodyear rim protector Integrity. Worth it? No doubt. On a car you're turning in soon? I doubt it. But if you are going to lease another RX, get the CrossTerrains right away and keep the original doughnuts for when you have to turn the car in.
  • kemokemo Member Posts: 7
    a friend of mine has a 99 RX300 awd, and she describes a situation when after driving for long periods of time on the interstate, her RX loses power and continues to lose power if she presses on the gas pedal, however if she removes her foot from the accelerator the engine returns to full power. Has anyone experienced this. She has taken it to the dealership but they continue to say there is nothing wrong with the vehicle. Any help would be appreciated.
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    sounds like the gas pedal is installed backwards :)
  • hawkinstallhawkinstall Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at buying the 2002 RX 300 with front wheel drive. Along with the Coach Edition package and delivery fee the bottom line price I got from the dealer is $35,750. Does this sound like a good price?
  • gibsgibs Member Posts: 4
    The price seems to be a good deal to me. This price is $75 less than
    carsdirect.com price for my area. The best quote I got today from local
    dealer for a four wheel drive without coach edition is 36761 which
    is $150 above carsdirect price. I am not really serious about RX300.
  • vishnu11vishnu11 Member Posts: 59
    I also have the 2000RX, but have not experienced the loud noise at the rpm range you mention.

I don't know what you were comparing the sound to, but if it was other Lexus sedans, then you should expect a higher sound. The RX is more "growly" and wind-noise is more apparent than other sedans from Lexus. But compared to other SUVs, the RX is very silent.

Also, have the dealer check the transmission fluid level. Lower levels can generate transmission noise and also a somewhat harsher and more jerky ride. They should top it off for free unless you've run out of the warranty.
    Heard 2 things from dealers. 1) hard to find AWD because they are shipping to east - easier to get a deal on 2wd and 2) Something wrong w/ AWD. 2) I find hard to believe since it is the same system I have on my '99. Anyway these dealers around here this weekend want $2000 below MSRP. One offer, 38950, another 40700 and she would charge me $699 trucking to get it to her dealership! I said invoice from carsdirect and dealer said she checked carsdirect for me (and called me back) and they were saying 39330 for a AWD w/Nav and heated seats (and the wheel locks,rr, spoil, cargo net,mat) - which is how the loaded vehicles come. Of course said she would meet that. Still like $2000 over invoice!I read on an earlier post that invoice was what you could get this car for. I dont mind paying a little more than that but seriously what is the deal? Anyone know? Are they changing this car for '03? If so, I should be able to get a great deal, right? Thanks for any response.
  • gsenthilgsenthil Member Posts: 154
    I have perforated leather on my Silversport RX. What do you guys use for leather care? I have heard a lot about Hide Food. Any other choices? Anything to keep in mind considering perforated leather? Also specify where you get your product from.

Thanks

Senthil
    Hey Senthil--
    Like you, I'm ready to clean and condition my seats. Lexol is a name I hear used quite a bit. It's supposed to be good quality. The one thing I would be careful about is the amount you use around the perforations. Go light on the application, perhaps going over it twice to ensure enough conditioner is used. I have a cleaner and conditioner that came with my leather couch and will be using that.

One thing I've noticed about the SS interior is it doesn't hold up well to scratches and such. I have a lot of marks on different parts of the vehicle and we're a clean family. I don't think there's one french fry in the whole car! ;)
    I'm getting the strut pop noise (happens a lot at slow speed parking lot driving) in the back and the bushing noise in the front too. I know this is a weak point for Toyota vehicles as all three of the ones I've owned have had noisy suspension.

I'm curious if those that have had the fix done hear the noises coming back. Are the parts used in repair of better quality than OEM? I hate to live with the noise, but don't want to go through the fix if it's just going to come back.
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Who were you talking to? Most of the dealers I know are close to invoice. Use carsdirect and Edmunds as benchmark prices to beat. The dealer you spoke with may be correct, the cars do come with more options than many people are looking for.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    I had a front strut replaced about 5 months ago and the noise hasn't reappeared.
    Kearny-Mesa Lexus and Mission Viejo Lexus. Edmunds is also much higher than invoice - like $3000+. I need to check carsdirect for myself. Also heard from Riverside Lexus that the design for the RX will not change for another 2 years - FWIW.
    Anyone have the chrome wheels? Is it worth the price or should I go aftermarket - with what brand? I want them to be shiny. Anyone go with bigger tires? Do you get a smoother ride, better traction?