Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• stacystacy Member Posts: 91
    AWD w/ Nav, heated seats, spoiler...$1200 over invoice.
  • calvin888calvin888 Member Posts: 4
    bought this car $300 under invoice in socal.
  • ravlravl Member Posts: 129
    If only you had given a time longer than 5 months! I'm curious about say, 1-1/2-2 years. Thanks for the input, though. It's a frustrating problem as it's only an audible problem (like the popping sunroof), only happens at certain times, and it doesn't affect the ride of the car or the quality of the strut's usefulness.

I'm very surprised that Toyota carries this quality error over into the Lexus line. My '85 Camry made THE EXACT SAME NOISES as my '01 RX300, which makes THE EXACT SAME NOISES that my '99 RAV4L did.
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    I'm surprised. I know those dealers. You should be able to beat carsdirect and Edmunds prices. I can't speak for Calvin, but the market does vary and I don't see any recent sales below invoice.
    Only 2wd w/o nav. sold at that price. carsdirect.com price was $100 over invoice.
    Where did you get your $400 under carsdirect price? Did you buy recently? I'm thinking of emailing the internet fleet mgrs of several socal dealers and asking for best price, or maybe its better to decide on a price and email then. Any thoughts? I need to make the deal before I go in. I will not haggle w/ salesman. Thanks.
    I got my car two weeks back from longo lexus
    Sorry to bug you again but did you deal with the fleet mgr or a salesman. Can I have the name? You can email me if you want to keep confid. I know longo is a huge dealer - did they have it on the lot or did you have it built for you? Thanks again.
  • craigcurrycraigcurry Member Posts: 14
    My wife has a 99 RX with 39K miles. The leather on the drivers seat has split in 2 places just below the seam or bead that separates the top and side of the seat. At first there was just 1 split, then another split occurred just below the first. Then the 2 splits joined to become one split about 3/4 of an inch long. And finally a third split occurred about 1/4 long. I contacted Lexus Customer Satisfaction by email and they told me that the leather would be covered under warranty if it was determined that the leather seat surface was defective. How does one determine if leather is defective? The leather seating surface looks very normal for a 3 year old vehicle. It shows no sign of abuse. Is the leather suppose to last only a few years and needs to be replace after a few years like tires? I treated the leather surfaces with a conditioner at least 3 times a year. The conditioner is a major brand name in the car care business. I am going to take the vehicle in next week to have Lexus look at the seat. Any advice would be helpful.
  • pbk77pbk77 Member Posts: 23
    I don't know if I can easily describe what I found to be the problem. I have a 2000 RX300 and I was looking at the bottom of my car. If you look there are these thin metal strips that go from the the front wheels to the rear wheels. I was looking more closely and near the rear wheels, these metal strips are kinda bent. It's like as if something hit them from the bottom. Does anyone else have this problem? I'm sorry I don't have a picture to better describe it. But if anyone else has any ideas what this problem might be...please get back to me. Thanks!
  • mooretorquemooretorque Member Posts: 241
    ravl, had the strut mount problem early on (wifey's is a 99 AWD which we'll have had for 4 yrs in June). No recurrence since replacement.

pbk77, sounds like somebody missed the jack points on your vehicle. Look in your owner's manual. There should be a silhouette diagram of the RX with arrows showing where to place your jack to raise front or rear to change a flat. I suspect your bent spot is close to the rear jack point. It's not a problem.
  • pbk77pbk77 Member Posts: 23
    I'll look into that. I'm just hoping it's doesn't do any damage to the car.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Mooretorque:

Dinner?
  • anoonananoonan Member Posts: 29
    I heard that Lexus will be replacing the RX300 with the RX330 early next, which will be bigger with 3rd row seating. I couldn't find this anywhere on the web, so it's either top secret or not true.

Has this been discussed on this board or is this new news/rumors?
    Seen lots of news that the new Rx will have a bigger V6 and I have heard "rumors" that it will share platforms, wheelbase, with the HL. Nothing about third seat at all and I suspect this won't happen since the GX and LX are to fill that market segment.
  • frank09frank09 Member Posts: 14
    2000 RX300 w/tan leather. I spilled a little black coffee (lukewarm) on the back seat and after wiping up, a stain remained. I tried Lexol leather cleaner w/no luck.
    Thought I'd ask here before trying anything else. NE1 know of anything that will remove this stain, or has the dye been permanently ruined ? (have had this happen on other cars and never left a stain) TIA..Frank
    You might try acetone. Wife probably has some. Wash it off w/ soap & water after you use it and be very careful as it could remove the finish. It worked for me for ball point pen ink stains (my son drew all over the leather) and may work for you. You also could try Folex carpet cleaner. Its a spray that may fade the stain. Can get it at Home Depot. I dont know how either will work over the leather cleaner tho. Good luck. Let me know if you get it out.
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    It may take some of the color out. I have heard of some people using hairspray to take out stains. You might try that first since it should be very safe for the leather. I would try anything in an inconspicuous place first anyway.
  • pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    Carbona imports a series of ten little 1.76 oz. "Stain Devils" from Germany. Formula No. 7 is said to remove coffee, tea & cola. Sold by K-mart and some supermarkets, I'd check with tech support, 1-888-746-5599; before trying on leather and/or test in an inconspicuous area. Web site: www.carbona.com.

Pete
  • lucnlucn Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a new 02 RX300 which I love, but I find the Goodyear Integrity tires to be a bit noisy, especially over coarser roadways. I would appreciate any input on alternative tires that would run quieter; less road noise...other improvements like better cornering etc. is secondary to me to having a "quieter" tire. I am considering the Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus or the Cross Terrain. I had a Highlander before the RX300 and I could swear the Bridgestone Dueler H/T's on it seemed to produce a quieter (or at least a more muffled) ride on the coarser pavements. Thanks for any advise.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    Anyone have any experience with installing one of these in an RX?
  • mooretorquemooretorque Member Posts: 241
    Did you get my reply to your PM over on ClubLexus?

Shorter version: can't make it but thanks.
  • karen_tnkaren_tn Member Posts: 22
    My 2002 came with Bridgestone's. No problem as far as I can tell.
  • knicksfan1knicksfan1 Member Posts: 2
    I had the K40 installed front and rear by the dealer (forgot exact price - I think close to $1G). Very elegant installation with no holes drilled so that when I turn in car after lease - no damage and "easily" moved to next car (GX470 I think since my lease is over in Jan).

Works great - saved me manymanymany times both radar and laser.
    My '99 RX came w/ the Duelers. Good quiet tire. However they do not last long, this a common complaint of this tire. I replaced w/ the Integritys (people call them Notegritys and I have to agree) - very noisy.. Heard that the Michelins were in between on road noise but may last longer than the Bridgestones. However, if you really want the quietest ride, regardless of how long they last, get the Duelers.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    Can you give me the number of your dealer. I would like to talk to them about costs and possibly refer my dealer to them.

Thanks
  • joanziejoanzie Member Posts: 51
    I got a quote of 320.00 for 15K service anyone have the same from Lexus dealer? How about Toyota?
    Do the required, exactly, 15k maintainance for not more than $75. Dealer is scamming you with needless add-ons not required.
  • ravlravl Member Posts: 129
    Ok then, what do you consider to be the minimum requirements to keep the warranty valid? For instance, is transmission fluid change necessary?

I agree that the dealer service cost is high. What would you remove from their list of service needs and what would you leave?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide will give you an idea.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • gsenthilgsenthil Member Posts: 154
    As wwest has pointed out earlier in response to the same query by me sometime back...transmission fluid does not have to be changed at 15. The minimum requirements are those listed in your owners manual- it cost me about $50 (+ oil) for the 15k service @ Toyota. Latte is extra at $2 ;)

Senthil
    Your factory "recommended" maintainance guide is in your owners packet, use it, and don't rely on ANYTHING the dealer says otherwise, he has kids he wants you to help put through college.
  • jj35jj35 Member Posts: 283
    I was charged around $300 for a 30k service at a Toyota dealer. Probably was ripped off.
  • knicksfan1knicksfan1 Member Posts: 2
    My dealer is DiFeo Lexus in Bound Brook, NJ. I have been extremely satisfied with their service and also included K40 when I purchased SC430 from them recently.

Good luck.
  • gsenthilgsenthil Member Posts: 154
    Even the Toyota dealership's "recommended" schedule had transmission fluid change etc...but I (as wwest points out) didnt want to pay for the dealers kids education and asked them to do nothing more than what the manaul said. Mine would have also been $300 if I had let them have it their way
  • frank09frank09 Member Posts: 14
    Thanks all f/the suggestions :
    I think acetone might be a little too strong a solvent.
    Found the Corbona Stain Devil #7. Have the Folex already and will try them both this weekend.

BTW..the dealer service dept said "ruined, has to
    be re-dyed"
  • jct520jct520 Member Posts: 4
    Try $650 for the 15K service at Lexus of Scottsdale.
  • hlronhlron Member Posts: 113
    I had the 15,000 mile service done on my Highlander V-6 last month (April) at a Toyota dealership for $146.27 + California sales tax of $1.77 on the non-service portion of the bill for a total of $148.04, including the transmission fluid change. No latte, though, just regular coffee!
  • seanyuseanyu Member Posts: 2
    I posted a similar message before but I do want some more helps from you. I bought an used 2000 RX300 (30k miles) and its engine is very loud at 65 +/- 3 mph or 2500 rpm. However, the engine is very quite (hardly hear anything other than wind) at other speeds even up to 85 mph. I brought it to the dealer and he said it is normal at 2500 rpm shift point. But I do feel it is abnormal for the annoying engine sound whenever the speed reaches 65 mph.

What do you feel in your RX300s? Any comments are appreciated.
  • tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    Why did they change the trans fluid at 15k?

Tarik
    Why doesn't any dealer change the trans fluid under "scheduled" maintainance, EVER?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$
  • spakcharspakchar Member Posts: 37
    When I was buying I considered getting a QX infiniti was dealing, but several things turned me off to the QX. The rear drums for one thing and some little annoying details like no dead peddle and when you open the hood on the QX you have to put a cheap looking "strut" in place to prop it open as opposed to the relatively slick hydraulic things on the RX. The RX was smaller but quieter and smoother. The QX was more powerful but the RX has superior aerodynamics and is both faster and has approximately 33% better fuel efficiency. The fuel efficiency thing was the overiding factor in my decision and I have not looked back.
    Lexus sells more RX 300s than infiniti sells in their entire line. In my area they can't give away the QXs. The RX is the better choice and it's not a close decision.
  • karen_tnkaren_tn Member Posts: 22
    I'm getting ready to take my RX300 in on Tuesday. I was given a quote of $425. I told them I just wanted the oil changed. Is there anything else I need to have done? My manual isn't close by.
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    For that much money I would expect them to give me a SC430 to drive as a loaner for a few days.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out The Edmunds Maintenance Guide for what's "required" (and how much it should cost) compared to what the dealer is "suggesting". Doing more than the minimum may not be a bad idea, but....

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • polo2928bpolo2928b Member Posts: 21
    DOES ANYONE WHEN THE RX300 is changing models and where can I see a picture of it, if available?
  • ukkonen7ukkonen7 Member Posts: 22
    Polo2928b

I came to this site trying to also find info on the updated RX 300. I spoke to a dealer rep. at the Minneapolis auto show and he said, if I remember correctly, the revised vehicle will now be called the RX 330 and it would be coming out in the fall. I tried to get more details but he did not give any.

If anyone else hears more please let us in on the gossip.

Thanks.
  • hlronhlron Member Posts: 113
    Tarik - In answer to your question regarding why the dealer changed the trans fluid at 15,000, if I recall correctly their stated reason is kind of an extra preventive maintenance - I'm COMPELTELY paraphrasing here, but the I think the thought is that changing it at 15,000 may help to not have to worry about the long term effects from normal fluid heating and so on. In other words, I think just an extra effort to help with long term performance...the less normal "gunk" or what not allowed to build up, the less to worry about many miles down the road. I think it must be the same concept as 3k mile oil changes that some people adhere to.
    For the price (remember, the whole 15k service was only $148), I was fine with a 15k trans fluid change. And, I do 3,000 mile oil changes, too. My personal preference on both service intervals.
  • rhewinsrhewins Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone heard anything about the ML stereo being made available in the 2003 Rx 300?