Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• ravlravl Member Posts: 129
    Those of you who've changed out tire sizes, what, if anything, did you do to offset the change with the speedometer?

When I had my Jeep, there was a tooth/gear deal that you had to change. Is it the same with a Lexus?

If you decide to not do anything, will the car be going faster or slower than the speedometer reads?
  • krazyhopzkrazyhopz Member Posts: 17
    Here's the dealio. First it is a truck. SUV is a marketing term. Look at most states and they classify them as light truck. I know it is built on a Camry platform, but that is where the car ends.

Second I don't know how this affects the warranty on the rear suspension. I tried to talk to Lexus about the offsets of the stock wheels and got nowhere because they do not recommend changing them. I know they are 16s with a 6.5 width. To tell the truth, I feel the stock setup causes the vehicle to be a bit hyperactive in corners and when it is windy. And it is ugly.

I understand that it looks like there is no way a larger tire will fit in the back. Supposedly you can put a 235x70x16 on the stock rim with no problem. I have no idea what they were thinking when they designed this other than to keep you tied to them. I was skeptical when I first started researching this. I stuck my finger between the strut and the rear stock wheel/tire and there was almost nothing there.

The key to doing this is the offset of the new wheel. Everything that I saw says it will take up to a +40 offset. This will cause the tire to stick out a bit, but nothing horrendous. The new wheels have about 1/2 inch clearance from the top of the strut, and about 1/8 inch from the body of the strut. If you look at tirerack.com,put in the RX300 for a tire upgrade it will show you 255x55x18 as a replacement for the stock rubber. My personal opinion is not to do spacers. I think that just causes problems.

This change will cause the speedometer to be off about 2.2% which translates to you doing 61.5mph when you think you are doing 60mph.

I will post the pics as soon as I can of my girl and I mounting and will run RX over holes to see if they rub :)
    Wow, awesome response, thanks!

You're right about the setup of the wheels and tires being difficult to replace. Even finding a shop to mount them might be tough. I think a place like Sears 'goes by the book'.
    Did you use a national chain or a local specialty place for your work?

I got the same response last time I asked Lexus about upgrading--must keep same size.

I can see by your description that a big part of the problem with the current wheels is their large offset. By decreasing that, you gain more width for the tire.
    And this car screams out for wider, performance styled tires.

Again, thanks for the response, and that little 'innuendo' at the end. I caught that..... ;)
    Must see picture.....must see picture. Please. :))
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Bad news...

Wheel bearings will likely fail sooner than normal due to vehicle weight being off-center of bearing. Sooner = 120k miles instead of 250k.

Good news...

Better handling, more stability, etc, all around.
    Well, good morning !!
  • gambiamangambiaman Member Posts: 131
    I recently went on a 1600-mile trip from Florida to the Smokies and back. Got 21.4 mpg, which considering part of the trip was on winding mountain roads I thought to be very good. Only problem was with 2 adults and 2 kids space was tight. I saw a lot on cargo boxes mounted on top of SUV’s and minivans and even several on RX300’s. I was thinking of getting one for light loads before my next long trip. Anyone had experience with mounting a cargo box on the roof racks for the RX? I know the only light loads should be put on top but even using it for light loads would greatly increase available space and make packing much easier. The back can get a little small for luggage and all the other stuff, as I’m sure others have found out.
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    Had the same problem with lack of space so I purchased a "Cargo Bag" - soft-sided with integrated tie down straps. If you're interested I'll get you the model.

Don't know about older model RXs, but the 2001 we drive has the roof rack but no protection strips on the roof itself - so, depending on the size of the cargo unit, it can scratch that lovely non-clear coated black paint right off.

Purchased some of that web-type rubber material with the waffle pattern holes thru it; it's used for a variety of things including shelf liners so items don't move easily. You can get it at supermarkets in a roll form in their hardware aisle.

Anyway, it worked great to protect the roof finish from the cargo bag - not a scratch after a 1000 mile trip.

During which the Nav and climate control system worked great, Willie.
    Yesterday I checked the pollen filter on my 01 911, mostly because I was curious as to where/how it was mounted in comparison to the Lexus. To my great surprise it was completely clogged! 9k miles, 1600 in Europe, 3500 from POE, and the rest local, no dirt roads, etc.

Within the last year or so I have changed out the pollen filters on a 95 LS (20k mile interval), a 00 GS3 (8k miles), and an 01 RX (15k miles). None of the Lexus filters were even close to being clogged.

What gives?

Now I know that Lexus strives mightily to reduce the blower speed to achieve QUIET, and I also know that one of the reasons they can do that is the Lexus products do not allow much atmospheric "leakage", very little "outflow" of stale cabin air.

Using previously "conditioned" airflow, recirculated again and again, allows them to keep the cycling of the A/C compressor fairly low and thus their MPG numbers artificially high.

But the airflow outlet ducts for the 911 are even smaller than any of the Lexus products of which I am familiar. Maybe the difference is that Porsche keeps the blower speed up fairly high, creating a higher level of outlet flow due to air pressure.

Or maybe the actual exhauster airflow for the 911 is into an aerodynamic low pressure area, unlike the Lexus products wherein the "exhauster" outlet is always within an aerodynamically created high pressure area, under the rear quarter panel.

My wife and I have both noticed that we become drowsier on long trips in the Lexus vs the 911, do you suppose the excitement of driving the 911 keeps us wide awake or is it the low oxygen content along with the comfort and quiet in the Lexus? Or maybe some of each?

Has anyone used a CO2 sensor in their Lexus to see just how bad things get on a long drive?
  • rlui1rlui1 Member Posts: 93
    Is the RX engine exactly the same as the engines in the Toyota Sienna and Highlander? I know in terms of other things such as door materials and construction, the RX uses higher quality materials.
    Willie's Lexus models, the HVAC filter =
    Home Depot finest furnace filter, dismembered. Probably loaded with anti-bacterial agents that give off CO2...

Willie's Porsche models, the HVAC filter =
    actually purchased from Porsche dealer, or another "MS" (McGyver Special)? Unknown.

As for "...has anyone used a CO2 sensor in their Lexus to see just how bad things get on a long drive?"...personally, I'm just happy to be able to see out the windshield thru the fogging and, at the same time, try and keep our RX or LS on the road when it rains without a decent traction control or 4WD (RX) system.
  • zizzybaloobazizzybalooba Member Posts: 42
    Yes, your posts are weird/strange/bumfuzzled. Is that due to the "low oxygen content" you suffer from when driving your Lexus?
  • tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    Has anyone used a CO2 sensor in their Lexus to see just how bad things get on a long drive?

Heh, heh, thanks for this Tuesday primer, I needed that...

Tarik
  • rxlaxrxlax Member Posts: 13
    I saw an RX with the Thule 840 Play Pen last week and it look very nice and extremely sturdy. I don't know how much weight it adds and how much it can SAFELY handle, but with its own bars it can handle alot more weight than the RX CrossBars. As soon as I have some extra $$ I am going to order mine. I have 2 infants and the strollers alone take up alot of the cargo area.

I found a couple of websites that has em on sale for $225, free ship, http://www.rackwarehouse.com/thule-boxes.html.

http://www.bicycle-source.com/thulracac.html

It gets kind of costly compared to just buying a cargo Bag, cause you need to get, The load bars @ $40, and you may want to get the Cargo Net @ $26, and the Waterproof pouch @ $125.

It looks really nice on the RX though, and adds much needed cargo.

If you want to save some $$ Target has the 15ft Water proof Bag on sale this week for $59

for anything put up on the RX' roof including additional rack hardware, cargo bags, and the actual cargo.

Wouldn't want to get tipsy.
    I'm a bit confused about your comments, Mr. Wwest. My RX stays in recirc mode for a just a few minutes only on hot days. It reverts back to fresh air mode after the cabin is cooled. Once it achieves that, it never goes back to recirc.

I personally hate recirc mode and will disengage it early sometimes. It does help cool the cabin quicker, and will help block out unwanted exhaust from an older car in front of me, but other than that, give me 'fresh', smoggy air...
    Use your lungs to blow up a balloon, the air within the balloon will be high in CO2 content and of a relatively high humidity because the air you exhale has been "conditioned" by your lungs.

Notice how your balloon stays inflated?

Absent a reasonably large exhaust path and a neutral or low pressure area at the exhaust exit, or an over-riding high pressure within the Lexus, that's what the air in your Lexus will be like after an hour or so of driving.

The shop manual for my 92 LS clearly indicates that the fresh/recirc inlet air damper is continuously modulated in auto mode to determine the optimum "mix" level. On my 92 I have physically measured the mix level to be greater than 50% recirc with the "fresh" indicator still on. I know the RX does the same thing but haven't checked the levels.

I suspect that this has all come about because Lexus runs the A/C system continuously to coat the evaporator and thereby suppress the horrid mold and mildew odor. If the A/C compressor were to cycle continuously as a result then the MPG would be severely affected and so Lexus solved that problem by using pre-conditioned air for as long as possible.

I have been asking/enquiring/exploring since I bought my 92 in 91 and discovered the continuous A/C use anomally. Why the A/C system is run below the temperature, 55F, wherein it is of any usefull value but so far I have only heard one explanation.

A Porsche factory representative told me it was to keep the evaporator coated with a thin film of moisture thereby suppressing the odors from the formation of mold and mildew colonies.

If anyone has a better explanation I am certainly open to more input.
    Actually, IMMHO in most cases it really doesn't cool the cabin quicker. In most cases on a bright warm sunny day the atmosphere within the Lexus will quickly go above the outside ambient, in this case leaving the system in fresh, if there were sufficient "exhauster" capacity, would bring the cooler outside air through the A/C evaporator and force the hotter cabin air out.

You will notice even Lexus admits this shortcoming by advising you to roll the windows down for a few moments in the above conditions.

If the Lexus exhauster were of sufficient size (none are), or Lexus were willing to discomfort you slightly by running the blower at high speed for a brief period to force the hotter air from the interior, then the facade of a period in recirc would be needless.

And all of that is true without even bringing up the issue of MRT. The longer the car sits in the hot sure the higher will be the temperature of the materials within the car.
    in an RX WOULD account for difficulties seeing throught the windshield.

And that could also account for hitting defenseless deers that are legally crossing the road in (what else?) a Deer Crossing Zone.

WW - Have you done a LOT of blowing into "balloons" while driving or just after you've been pulled over?
    on life, don't need booze!
  • gsenthilgsenthil Member Posts: 154
    Apparently the "problem" is not limited to RX alone. Read the post on a MB SLK forum by a regular who is acknowledged to be pretty knowledgable

http://forums.mbnz.org/forums/r170/vthread.asp?messid=68241

Text reproduced here

----------

I use recirculate mode any time the temp is above 100 degrees, which is 100 days per year in Phoenix. However, recirculate mode has the disadvantage when the A/C is on because it causes more condensation and thus, more mold/mildew to build up in the A/C condensor. This is what causes the rotten/vinegar/dirty-laundry smell from your A/C vents. If you use recirculate mode often, you should switch off both the A/C and recirculate mode about 1 minute before you shut off the car so that it dries out the A/C condensor.

--------------

When the A/C is operating the A/C evaporator can be as low as 32F, when you shut the system down it will be COLD and covered with a film of condensate. In the evening in a closed and relatively cool garage it can take more than an hour for the evaporator surfaces to rise enough in temperature for the moisture to start to evaporate.

There are products on the market that automatically start the blower motor up to move this water vapor out of the A/C evaporator core and plenum about an hour after system shut down.
  • gambiamangambiaman Member Posts: 131
    The box I was thinking about was the Thule Excursion 667 enclosed box. It weighs 31 lbs. and has mounting hardware to mount it directly to the present roof racks. I looked at one of the other Thule cargo boxes recently at an REI store and at the mounting hardware. The enclosed box is more useful to me due to the locking ability and weather protection. I want to be careful before I do anything.
    Mr. Wwest! First of all, that is not flawed advice at all--it's a good thing to shut the a/c off about a minute before the car is shutdown. I've been doing this for a few years and have not had the mildew smell.

Also, I think most manufacturers have recommended for years that you open the windows to help cool an extremely hot cabin. I don't think it's fair for you to accuse Lexus of shortcoming when it's just plain, common sense to open the windows to relieve the heat inside the car.
    It is my understanding that these little microbes trive mightily in an environment that is dark, damp, and above 55F for many hours at a time. Their food is all of the airborne debris and such that literally comes floating their way. Each time you activate the A/C blower you're feeding those little buggers.

The problem has always existed in automobiles since the inception of automotive A/C. But it has become a lot more commonplace and thus a much greater, more acknowkedged problem, since the change-over from freon to R-134a.

R-134a is not nearly as efficient as a refrigerant as was (R-12{?}) freon. Automotive manufacturers are making up for this loss of efficiency in many, a myriad really, of ways.

The A/C evaporator core has become much more complex, more heat exchanging surfaces, more contouring and dimpling of those surfaces, etc. If they had actually set out to design a device to hold a huge mass of water for extended periods instead of designing a more efficient heat exchanging device they likely still could not have done a better job.

So, now we have an A/C evaporator which is not only an outstandingly great heat exchanger, it is also an absolutely excellent SPONGE.

But now what more can we do to overcome the loss of efficiency? Oh, I know, the longer we leave a bottle of milk in the refrigerator the colder it gets, right.

So how do we reduce the rate of flow of air through the chilled evaporator vanes to so low a level that we gain the absolutely highest level of cooling of that airflow humanly possible?

We seal that passenger cabin much like you would a refrigerator, very little, or possibly no cold conditioned air escaping and the entry airflow from the hot outside world can be reduced to a minimum.

Lexus flaws: automatically changing the system to recirc ("closing the windows") when the interior is heated by the sun is counter-productive, it has exactly the opposite effect of telling you to open windows.

It is very possible, as you say, that you do not have a mold and mildew odor problem, it depends greatly on certain conditions and as I'm sure you already know Lexus has now at least partially allevaiated the problem by adding a pollen (food) filters in the A/C inlet ductwork.
  • explrsportexplrsport Member Posts: 34
    I estimate that Willard's 2001 RX is worth about 27k wholesale. A BMW X5 3.0 goes for 40k. If that 13k difference was spread over the RX300 board's 975 daily average readers, we are talking a measly $13.34 each. Heck, I spend that amount at Coffee Bean and Starbucks on a weekly basis. It's worth it not to hear another post on the faults of VSC, the faults of Lexus A/C, the faults of the NAV system, the attraction of deer to the RX, etc. I haven't heard anyone hate their own automobile this much since my parents's Dodge Grand Caravan (the ultimate AWD, right Willard?)

I'm in for $13.34.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    lol, how much is it worth to y'all to get a host to shut up?

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • fasterthanufasterthanu Member Posts: 210
    I understand your frustration. I'd left the board a while back and only check in periodically and it's sickening to see that, month after month, and now year after year, one single person relentlessly adheres to some twisted agenda. Endless postings about the same 3 or 4 issues, every day. It's tiresome to read and you can't really avoid it on this board because he drags the conversation into his agenda all the time.

Edmunds is a great site, but it's sad that some people just take advantage of it. They don't understand that it's a board, and not a chat room, and when you post your opinion on an issue, it's there forever in the thread, and doesn't need to be repeated ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

If someone could print out this board from the first to the last post, they will find a portrait of a very sad and deranged individual, who has a daily obsession with bashing the RX - going on for years now. It's about the saddest thing I've seen on the net.
  • ang35ang35 Member Posts: 14
    I'm looking for a cargo box as well for my '99 RX and I think the Thule Excursion would be a good fit too. However I have not seen it in person, only pictures. If you do purchase it I will look forward to your comments about it.
    You guys don't get it. You need to appreciate him, not deride him.

Where else can you find information based on this level of logic?

- Brings suit against Lexus for supposed design flaws in '91 LS400 climate control system, loses suit, and buys more Lexus vehicles with same "flaw." That'll teach 'em.

- Constantly compares drive system of a non-off-road vehicle (RX) to a vehicle designed to go off-road (Jeep)

- Proclaims the virtues of a Chrysler Minivan over the RX. Enough said.

- One of two people in the world that hate Lexus Navigation system (the other makes maps for a living).

You should be praising his hilarious posts and eagerly awaiting the next, as I do.

Where else can you have so much fun for zero cost?
  • tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    One.

I continue to buy Lexii because I firmly believe they represent the best overall value on the market today, build quality, reliability, etc.

Two.

My sincerest apologies to those of you who don't like hearing me denigrate the product line over and over again.

BUT..

"The Relentless Pursuit of Perfection"

or

"The Passionate Pursuit of Perfection"

Both make a rather bold statement.

I began my career in QC at Boeing in 61.

Today my company manufactures a product, both hardware and software based. I know from experience that it is extremely hard to "get it right" the first try. It becomes even harder if you don't get feedback from your product's installed customer base, or you don't listen to that feedback.

I was encouraged recently when the "sludge" letter from Toyota/Lexus stated that their response was in some ways the result of all of the adverse publicity they were seeing on the various internet forums.

I don't remember his/her name now, but there was someone on this very post complaining about the problem and everyone, including me, tended to disparate his posts because he was outside the norm, using an oil filter that supposedly didn't require oil changes. Although T/L acknowkedged that sludging was not strictly related to the lack of oil changes I will still always believe in them on a regular basis.

So, do you want the 03 RX model, and all future Lexus designs, to be improved significantly or not?

There is clear evidence that both the mold and mildew problem and the windshield fogging problem can be fixed quite simply. Delphi has already introduced a sensor set that determines when the windshield is approaching the dewpoint and can automatically adjust the climate control system to compensate, long before you become aware of an impending problem.

GM has already adopted an aftermarket device to help alleviate the formation of mold and mildew with the A/C plenum.

Both of these are relatively simple and inexpensive solutions.

Mechanical LSD has already given way to PSM, VSC, etc. Why shouldn't we ask, encourage, Lexus to adopt the simpler, less expensive, faster reacting Sequoia AWD system to the RX?

GPS/Nav is clearly in it's early stages of developement for automotive use, if we don't step up and tell the manufacturers what we see wrong with their systems what will be the modivation for change? Otherwise portable GPSes, where there is free and open competition, will get better adn better, leaving "captive" GPS devices in the dust.

So maybe you're not having the particular problem I happen to address, but would you please look around and be sure it isn't a valid complaint before you unthinkingly encourage Lexus to ignore their own motto?
  • zizzybaloobazizzybalooba Member Posts: 42
    You state: "if we don't step up and tell the manufacturers what we see wrong with their systems what will be the modivation for change?"

You say "we". I don't see you as a part of the "we" of which you speak. In this and many other forums, you are a singular, twisted voice whose reality is not based in fact.

"We" are not "the manufacturers". "We" are the consumers. Please direct your "horrid" opinions elsewhere. Try "the manufacturers" directly.

And please do not try and parry by saying something like "the manufacturers read these forums". Please just address "the manufacturers" directly.

"We" are tired of your repeated, "possibly even TOXIC", ranting.

Park your RX in the garage, leave the engine running, close all the garage doors and windows, get back in the RX and take a nap.
    Can we get back to the Lexus instead of each other now that we've "ventilated" a bit? Thanks....

Steve
    Host
    A lot of us here love ya, man!

You were trying to remember GimpyRX. 25,000 miles without changing his Amsoil (he happened to be an Amsoil dealer).

Got a head gasket leak or a leak somewhere and had (supposedly) antifreeze in his oil. Developed sludge; had a local mechanic clean it out for a few hundred bucks and derided Lexus as the Demon Car Company ever after because they wouldn't pick up the tab.

Not even the Syn Obsessed posters in Town Hall recommend 25k oil extended changes. I don't think any of the Sludge posters had antifreeze in their sludge so Gimp was kinda unique.

As for your crusade to help Lexus Find the Light, perhaps you could try a new tack - trade the RX in for that new Land Rover with the ugly front end, take a digital pix of yourself in front of it (with a deer over the hood for effect?) and send it to the Lexus CEO under the heading, "Lexus Will Never Fog Me Again!"

I'm sure that would have an excellent chance of getting their attention for your complaints.
    After the new RX model is introduced next spring I will be looking seriously at it, the new VW "Toureg", the ML, and quite possibly another T&C, provided they add HID (bi-level xenons) VSC and Trac.

I have no doubt that the X5 remains the best of this lot, but the price and the name simply keep me away from there.
  • bobfloydbobfloyd Member Posts: 32
    You need to be more proactive in monitoring this board. You let it go on and on, then you react.
    As was said, this has gone on for too long.

The monopolizers are those that love to pontificate. STOP THEM for the benefit of all the others.
    "Monitoring" the boards is a fine line. Generally it's better that the community police itself and Town Hall members are exceptional in doing just that. That may simply mean ignoring posters that you don't agree with. If you really think someone is violating the Member Agreement, send a host an email (addresses are in our profiles).

Steve
    Host
    Your post #3770, 12-16-01 - (on sludge topic)
    "Let's change the subject."

Your post #3912, 1-5-02 - (on humor, give & take)
    "Let's try to keep it adult - PLEASE!"

Your post #4667, 3-11-02
    "It no longer is a ...good forum. I miss the interesting varied content we used to have."

Well, you've been lurking for at least 7-8 months now - and not a single post from ya that isn't critical of other posters or this board in general.

How about introducing a TOPIC or posing a QUESTION about the RX instead of just knocking other people including the host?

Just a thought, of course.
  • bobfloydbobfloyd Member Posts: 32
    by listing my previous posts that have not convinced you. By the way, the HOST can take care of himself.
    So, anyone want to talk about the Lexus?

Steve
    Host
    anyone want to talk about bi-xenon upgrade for their HID equipped RX?

All it takes is a resister between the high beam voltage supply and the RX's level sensor.
  • fasterthanufasterthanu Member Posts: 210
    I have a 2001 RX and recently noticed a lot of squeaking coming from the rear left passenger area. It was pronounced when moving from a stop, and sometimes on turns. Here was my fix: sprayed a liberal amount of WD-40 on the hinges in the left rear passenger door - squeaking is GONE. Just sharing a recent experience.
  • rxlaxrxlax Member Posts: 13
    According to the tech Manual on the 667-Excursion, it weighs 44lbs vs 32 for the Playpen. For security and protection the box wins hands down but for versatily and space I prefer the PlayPlen. I am thinking about all those times I go to Home depot or Ikea to get something and end up dropping the seats and using the inside instead of the top. Both Box/Pen would be useless for a 150 lb entertain/center. But I am just thinking of what I would be putting on top. 12lbs is a big difference, thats a baby carriage.
    Need to figure out what works out best for U
    Man! Would it get boring! The dissenting voice is what gets people talking. Take it away and you'll see this forum dry up.

Mr. Wwest, keep offering your opinion. I'm sure I get a few feathers ruffled when I pepper you with questions, but it's obvious to me (especially in your last post explaining your position) you offer a wealth of knowledge and it's up to me to decide what I want to accept and reject. I've always respected the fact you haven't allowed people to quiet your voice.

You're never vulgar or rude. I can't even remember once you responding back with a mean tone to the class clowns who goad you. (I love you class clowns, too!)

As to the moderator, keep on chooglin'. You be doin' fine.

Just my .02. I like this place just the way it is.
    I would imagine the 75 pound limitation is a reflection of the weakness of the crossbars. Also remember that on a good healthy BUMP, or DIP, the resulting G-force might almost double the weight.

I'm relatively sure that the limitation isn't due to lack of structural rigidity at the crossbar mounting points. So if you really want to put more weight on top you might want to look, first, at a way to re-enforce the strength of the crossbars.

And thank you ravl, I really did need that.

When we finally get that new search engine maybe I can refer people to past dissertations....
  • trmgatrmga Member Posts: 50
    My 01 RX 300 has 24,000 miles on it and I plan to keep it until it has about 100,000 miles which will be about 6 to 7 years after initial purchase. Am considering purchasing an extended warranty. Have never done this before but now that there is so much hi tech gadgetry I am concerned about repair costs after 50K miles. My '93 GS 300 has 125K miles on it and I have never had a repair expense that would have justified purchasing an extended warranty. Considerably less sophisticated however than the RX 300 IMHO. Warrantybynet.com has a premier plan that appears to cover it all including Nav system for 7year/100K miles at cost of $1,126. Very comprehensive plan. Same plan would cost $1,616 if I wait to purchase it when car has 48,000 miles on it. Anyone out there had any experience with these plans or have any thoughts on the wisdom of purchasing one. Would be interested in your thoughts.
    IMHO, if you bought a BMW or Mercedes, you'd want an extended warranty plan. But, you're buying a Lexus. A big part of their appeal is the fact they're pretty bullet proof.

It would be a waste of money to buy the plan. You already get 4 years and a bunch of miles (can't remember the exact amount.) If something's going to break, it'll be in warranty. Again, JMO.
    Since you "own" a Lexus. I should have read more carefully.....