Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• rmorin2rmorin2 Member Posts: 110
    Our 2000 RX developed an annoying rumbling noise when idling in gear. The noise is much more noticeable when the outside temperature is below freezing. Dealer has replaced engine mounts and exhaust system but the noise persists. Any ideas? The noise goes away if the transmission is in N or P. Thanks.
  • toydrivertoydriver Member Posts: 227
    thanks for the info bobfloyd and mooretorque. next stop is the dealer for the inspection and hopeful correction of this annoying noise.
  • rlui1rlui1 Member Posts: 93
    My speakers make a bit of a vibration type of noise when there's a DJ with a deep voice. Is this normal for the RX? My Jetta doesn't do that.
  • devlopperdevlopper Member Posts: 44
    Yes, my front right door speaker has done that since I bought the car. The vibration depends on the ambiant tempurature and of course the deep voice coming from the radio. I've had that speaker replaced, the door packed with insulation and NOTHING has fixed it.

Any advice out there PLEASE!
  • rmd122rmd122 Member Posts: 21
    Anyone have a source or have any experience replacing the rear tailgate struts on an 00 RX300. The dealer wants $500!
  • ke2feke2fe Member Posts: 37
    I finally changed the brake pads on my 2000rx.(did it myself). The milage is 91000. The inner pads wore faster than the outer ones. Do you know why this happens?
  • gsenthilgsenthil Member Posts: 154
    I had the same problem with low frequency bass rattles from driver side door speaker that was corrected under warranty by the dealer. In a later case, they diagnosed it as something being loose. Whatever the case- they should be able to fix it though sometimes it takes them multiple attempts.

Give them the CD and the track number so they can replicate the problem and test before they give it back to you. Tell them about the CD when you give your RX in.
  • jrdowneyjrdowney Member Posts: 96
    That price is very good. Anyone else seeing pricing like this? Also, what about 2002 models with 7-10k miles. What price would appear reasonable? $30K?

Thanks,
    Jim d.
    Thanks for the advice. I'll find a CD to replicate the noise and take it to my dealer. I mainly notice it when I listen to the morning news. I'll have to pay closer attention this afternoon. It may be temperature-related. It's interesting that it's the same driver side speaker for all of us (devlopper also).
    No, mine is in the front passenger door. Again, it occurs only with a deep voice over talk radio and never with music. It also depends on outside air temp as it goes away with temps below about 40 and also goes away when temps top 80. So, it's very hard to duplicate but the dealer keeps trying to fix it. Maybe I should tape the voice of the talk show guy and see if playing it back does it????????
    Those of you that have these. Did you mount those things with the white lettering inside or out? If out, how does it look to you?
    Speaker rattles: I would be more than willing to send you a CD with some classical music with lots of bass that replicates most bass rattle problems and possible including yours. If interested email me at gsenthil76 at yahoo.

Tire: Most Lexus owners seem to prefer white inside including myself. With no offense to others, IMHO White lettering looks better on trucks/SUVs like Wrangler etc. Also I cant imagine what it would look like when it gets dirty. Bottomline: for subdued elegance have them mounted with the black lettering outside.
    Thanks for the CD offer but I'm certain I can find something that will get that rattle rattleing. I agree with you on the tire lettering but I sure would like to see an indigo blue RX with the lettering facing out.
  • johngreisjohngreis Member Posts: 70
    Thats pretty good milage for a set of pads.
    I see the same wear pattern in every set of pads I've replaced. In fact, a mechanic once told me that the inside passenger side pad wears the most.
    My guess is that the brake piston is on the inside of the caliper and exerts more force there than on the outside. The caliper slides on a couple of pins and you would think the wear would be even on both sides but I guess it doesn't work this way.
    As I said, thats guessing on my part.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    the inside passenger side pad

That's interesting. I just did my front pads on my minivan and all had a little left except the inside passenger side one. That screech I was hearing was metal scraping the rotor from that one (I knew the rotors were due for replacing anyway so had let it slide a month too long <g>).

Steve, Host
  • mooretorquemooretorque Member Posts: 241
    Letters in/ blackwall out: tasteful

Letters out/ blackwall in: tasteless. Might as well hang some old J.C. Whitney stuff on the thing,too. Probably as effective of syrup of ipecac, though.

Just mho.
  • lil4xlil4x Member Posts: 15
    Advertising brand names on my car is not an option...unless they want to sponsor me! Hey, I can be bought too!

Uh-oh! Psychosomatic effect of syrup of ipecac is working…excuse me!
  • hoggrahnhoggrahn Member Posts: 7
    Has anyone had the Echomaster Reverse Sensing System (or any such system) installed in the RX-300? A local outfit will install the two sensors on the rear bumper and remote the warning receiver to the front at the driver's area for $395. The receiver gives a audible, as well as, visual warning at different distances while backing up. Not sure if I want this system or not, so I welcome any input you might have.

Thanks
  • lgrosslgross Member Posts: 55
    I have the factory option on my BMW. Well worth it for parallel parking and detecting obstructions while backing up. The BMW system has three sensors rather than two. This could make a performance difference. I don't know anything about Echomaster. The BMW does not have a visual indication, only audio. My experience says that the visual indication is unnecessary.
  • ctraylorctraylor Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased a '00 RX300. The vehicle came equipped with the standard radio, tape, cd/changer.

What are the differences between this system and the Nakamichi system?

Also, I'm just getting used to the mileage shock after driving an Avalon for 4 years. Humor me -- what sould the tach me turning at say 70mph? Also, what do people get in terms of range? I'm really strething to get 300 miles out of a tank.

Is there a problem here? I've got about 6 months left on the new car warranty.

Thanks.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Final drive ratios are 2.92 and 3.12, cannot remember which end is which. Divide circumferance of tires into the # of inches in a mile, multiply by final drive ratio to find # of engine revs/mile. Then multiply by 70 equals RPM at 70MPH.

Best I have seen in 01 AWD RX was 23.2 MPG at average speed of 67MPH. That was with 87 octane, A/C compressor circuit disabled, full time cruise engagement, daytime (no street/headlamps) and 17x8 wheels/tires (more contact patch/friction).
  • kapouchkapouch Member Posts: 4
    Purchased 3/15, picked-up 3/17 an '03 model in Connecticut w/ all options but NAV and tow hitch. MSRP $40,423. (after standard $2,000 dealer discount on sticker), negotiated price $34,600 (w/o registration, tax, etc).

This price was the best I could get in the N'east markets (Mass., CT, NJ, MD) I checked and dealers I negotiated with. Is this in line with what others in the market have seen?
  • mikey00mikey00 Member Posts: 462
    The RX engine really revs at highway speeds due to the low gearing. Gas mileage is not the greatest at high speeds. It could really benefit from a 5 speed auto. Just in case you don't want to do the math, here is a quote from one of Willard's old posts:
    "MY2000 AWD T&C LXi, 20k miles, Memphis to Santa Cruz, 2500 miles, 22.7 MPG, 2250 RPM at 75MPH.

MY1998 AWD T&C LXi, 58k miles, Santa Cruz to Seattle, 850 miles, 22.3 MPG, 2250 RPM at 75 MPH.

MY2001 AWD RX300, 20k miles, Seattle to Lewistown MT and return, 1586 miles, 19.8 MPG, 3000 RPM at 75 MPH. 20.2 MPG outgoing on 87 octane, 92 octane on return."

Willard: Did you account for the 2.3% speedo error due to your larger tires when doing your math?
    Nothing about those MPG ratings in post #7237 relate to any quoted average speed. Be especially careful about the one to MT.

Is it 2.3%?

I know there was a slight difference between OEM and mine but didn't consider it large enough to be of importance. And the MPG calculations came from the OBC in all cases. Does the RX use the GPS/nav distance for these calculations or the wheel rate?
  • mikey00mikey00 Member Posts: 462
    I was just quoting your old post to try and answer ctraylor's question of "what should the tach be turning at say 70 mph". It also provides some facts showing the high revs for the low geared RX and why high speed mileage is not what we would like it to be.
    Here's an interesting site if you want to see exactly how much your speedo is off when you change tire sizes:
    http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
    I know my RX uses wheel rate for MPG on OBC. I don't have nav. I would bet RXs with nav also use wheel rate but I don't know.
    High engine speed isn't the WHOLE equation. I have assumed that the RXes V6 engine just can't generate enough torque in the 2000 to 2500 range to move the vehicle forward at 70MPH. By the time you reach the RPM level that produces enough torque, you're now having to overcome one hell of a lot of frictional effects also.

I don't understand why Chrysler's V6 can do what the T/L can't. I think they weight about the same and should present about the same wind drag profile.

Anyone know what the torque curve looks like on the RX V6 vs the T&C?

Does anyone know what RPM range the HL's I4 runs at 70 MPH?
    Read from many sources and verified by butt dyno: RX develops 80% of its peak torque at 1600rpm which is a very good/flat curve.

I think my FWD RX revs higher at 70mph but will verify over the weekend. I think it revs ~ 2500rpm@65mph
    torque "curve" but then why is such a high RPM needed to move forward at 70MPH?

And that's with a locked torque converter, unlocked is even higher.
  • maxappealmaxappeal Member Posts: 17
    I've heard this car is in high demand in the N'east and demands above invoice pricing. But in Los Angeles you can get them at invoice. Purchased this RX '02 in August of '02 for $500 below invoice. Didnt want to wait for the 04 because we knew of the dramatic price increase- plus this one is just fine for our needs.
  • trmgatrmga Member Posts: 50
    "Let me know what you think". With wheels like that I wouldn't ask that question. Someone might give you an honest answer.
  • harapaharapa Member Posts: 6
    You got a pretty good price. Be happy and enjoy!!!.
  • rparisrparis Member Posts: 368
    Any suggestions on the best tires to replace factory installed tires as I have 35,000 miles on the vehicle and will soon require new tires. Where is the "best" place to purchase them and what price are most people paying?
  • pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    This has been discussed here ad nauseaum in the past. Favorites seem to be Michelin Cross Terrain and Bridgestone Dueler H/L. See which one you can get the best deal on. Scroll back or search for more info.

Pete
  • maxappealmaxappeal Member Posts: 17
    Actually, if you have constructive criticism- go ahead. I have many envious people give comments that arent flattering nor constructive. But most can appreciate the vehicle for what it is. Although it may not be their taste, they give encouragement to do what we like. Same respect is always altruistic form this side.
  • jgraveljgravel Member Posts: 54
    Hello Everyone, we've finally decided to trade my wife's 2000 LandCruiser for something smaller and better on gas. No more car pools so we don't need all the space but we do live in the Northeast and want something good in the snow. We drove a BMW X5 Saturday but my wife did not like it. Too stiff. We're going to go look at the RX300. Anything particular we should look for?? Pro or con.

A new Lexus dealership just opened up a few mile from home so I'm hoping this works out.

Thanks
  • danrxdanrx Member Posts: 13
    A little help, here please.
    I got a set of 02 HID HEADLAMPS (tthe whole assembly) but it seems that the plugs and wire harness are not the same. Has anybody out there down the "SWAP". If so please help.
  • johnnieliujohnnieliu Member Posts: 34
    I have a dealer that is offering me an '03 RX300 with NAV at invoice. Is this the going rate or should I do more negotiations? How much under invoice is reasonable?
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    CarsDirect.com shows a 2003 RX300 FWD with NAV with a MSRP of $39,590. Invoice is $35,239. At zipcode 91311 (Los Angeles), the CarsDirect price is $33,739.
  • johnnieliujohnnieliu Member Posts: 34
    Why does carsdirect pricing vary? With zip code 91311(LA) the pricing on a '03 RX300 with NAV is $35,345; and the pricing for my zip code, 98032, Seattle WA area, is $38,090. For the almost $3k difference, I would fly to LA and drive it back to Seattle, or I could have it drop shipped. Anyone think that I can successfully negotiate with my local dealer to get the LA carsdirect price?
  • cheryl23cheryl23 Member Posts: 2
    Just wanted to let you other Lexus fans know that I just purchased (finally after 2 yrs of wanting one) my 2003 RX300 2WD. After days of calling around and soliciting inventory and quotes, Connie Richardson at Cerritos Lexus gave me a FANTASTIC deal. The best part - she honored the quote she gave me on the phone, and still has substantial inventory available. Here's her number - 714/838-1227 or 562/865-7447. Tell her Cheryl & Tracy sent you!
  • cheryl23cheryl23 Member Posts: 2
    You might try calling my dealer in the LA area...I don't know why Connie couldn't send you the car if you buy it from her... she is off on Mondays but try her Tuesday!
    There is a manufacturer to dealer incentive (How much ??) on RX300 till 3/31/2003. So you can expect a good margin even below invoice. How much-try offering the lowest you want to pay and go from there.
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    You have nothing to lose by negotiating with your local dealer. If they will not match the LA price, you have lost nothing. There is a rumor that Lexus is basing the allocation of the new 2004 RX330 on how fast a dealer can unload the 2003's. There appear to be a fair amount of cars available. JM Lexus in Margate, FL advertises 190 new 2003 RX300's on his website including 52 white ones. Good luck!
  • pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    Net cost varies by locale as they act as a broker and negotiate prices with Lexus dealers in the buyer's vicinity who participate in their program. At least that's how it worked when I bought my '99 RX through them.

Pete
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    I have officially taken the RX330 off of my list. The price has rose roughly 2k from 2003 to 2004. Plus you lose features, to get a 6 disc changer you have to pay over 43k!! check out carsdirect.com they have pricing for the new rx330 available now. This option package configuration is hideous. Now it is just btween the MDX and FX.
  • lgrosslgross Member Posts: 55
    Much improved over the 2003. More responsive steering, better brakes and better acceleration throughout the legal speed range. It also seems to be quieter on the highway. The steering, although improved, does not provide all the feedback I would hope for, but it's acceptable and better than 2003. The electroluminescent instrument lighting is a little garish, but acceptable. The seats are comfortable and the leather is soft. I could live without the brushed aluminum surrounding the radio console. The power rear door is kind of neat and likely to be useful.

Minor nit. The heated seat control is a hard to grab small rotary knob.

The CT dealer had two vehicles. Both were AWD, Premium Plus Package, 18" wheels, heated seat/rain sensing wiper package. One had the Nav/Camera package, the other did not. One had Michelin tires the other Goodyear Eagles. 30 days wait for delivery.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    I liked it also - very smooth and quiet, and it offers much improved steering and handling over the outgoing model.

The demo I drove did not have the Performance Pkg, which is the model I'm looking to buy. I would expect the larger, more performance-oriented 18 inch tires along with the air suspension will improve the tracking and handling even further, hopefully without much loss in ride quality. On the non-Sport model with the 17 inch tires with less aggressive tread, the ride is still a little too soft for me, but it's certainly acceptable. My wife really liked it, which is the most important thing because she will be driving it most of the time.

The dealer how has about 6 or 7 RX330's in stock, and all but two of them have the Performance Pkg. These 4 or 5 sport models were each equipped exactly the same and all stickered for $43,300 (rounded). One of the others was the demo (Premium Pkg only with MRSP of $40,900 (rounded) and the other was a very loaded Lev/Nav/Rear Ent model that stickered for $46,800 (rounded). The sales manager is getting more information on their next (larger) shipment sometime in the next few days, and I'm waiting to see if any of the Performance Pkg models will be available with the Navigation/Rear Camera, which I would like. I could do without the Mark Levinson, and do not want to pay for the Rear Entertainment, which we would seldom use.

As far as add-ons this dealer includes a rear cargo mat (limited value to me) and wheel locks (waste of money) on all models. These together add approximately $150 to the price of each vehicle. In this area (Minneapolis) all cars will come with the rear power door, heated seats (variable on the Performance Pkg) and all will have all wheel drive. There are about 130 people who have made deposits.
    Just wondering where do most people get their scheduled maintenance done for RX300. I am not a big fan of dealership service department as I find these (some time rediculously) expensive. Most my cars have done great with simple $20 engine oil change routine and I am not convinced that paying $100 (that someone mentioned here) for this service brings any additional value. Since I got a new RX300, I will need to make a decision as to whether I continue my practice or move to dealership service department as now I have a "Luxury" car. Thanks for your input in this matter.
    I also am not fond of going to the dealer for service. However, I'm doing it with my RX to make sure there are no issues if I ever need warranty service. To make the most of my Lexus experience, I get a loaner everytime and load up on the complimentary drinks.
    There have been many posts on this board and over at ClubLexus and most people seem to prefer to do it themselves or at Toyota. Find a Toyota Express Lube service center at a dealership and select one that has a glass window through which you can watch them work on your RX. It costs $20-25 for oil change and tire rotation. Make sure they change the filter and seal also. Mobil 1 is highly recommended if you plan to keep the RX for long.