Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• fantomfantom Member Posts: 211
    <<BTW, it performs as good as it looks>>

I'm sorry to hear that! YMMV
  • sssstevessssteve Member Posts: 49
    Yes - the HIDs provide a HUGE improvement in night vision!! When I bought my 2000 RX (a CPO used) - it didn't have them. So I went the after market route. What a difference!

I think the OEM installed version is a lot better - but I didn't have that choice. And if I had, I'm not too crazy about the Lexus $.

But I will say that I'll never own a car w/o them again - either after market or OEM - I'll have them on FWIW!

(before you ask - got them from HIDS4Less. 4300k Philips 9006 bulbs and Philips ballasts. Pretty easy install)
  • gsenthilgsenthil Member Posts: 154
    Even though I am still in my younger years, I think HIDs are a must. At about 500-700 extra, the factory OEM comes with auto-levelling which the aftermarket cant compare to. [Unfortunately I couldnt get them on mine because it came only on Nav models.]
  • mooretorquemooretorque Member Posts: 241
    I second gsenthil. Though very impressed with the light output of the RX's quartz-halogens, the factory HIDs on my GS make as big a difference as my Cibie Z-beams did long ago, compared to the sealed beams (candles inside glass hurricane lamps attached to the front of the car by hand-formed brass hardware, for those of you too young to know or remember sealed beams) of the time. Wifey's next ride will have to have them.........even if (gasp!) we have to go outside the Lexus stable to get them!

Autoleveling is pretty much a must in order not to melt the retinas of, and otherwise annoy, the non-HID folks.
  • jrdowneyjrdowney Member Posts: 96
    Ok, seems to be a strong preference for HID. Now, would you consider this important enough to pass on a good used RX if that was about the only thing missing?

Thanks
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Along with VSC/trac one of the main reasons I traded up to 01 from 00.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    How does the front wheel drive RX do in snowy or icy weather as opposed to the all wheel drive model? How would it compare to a large front wheel drive car like an Avalon?
  • m45guym45guy Member Posts: 42
    ...but they seem to be borderline impossible to find, new. The local dealer has basically said 'screw you if you don't want a 2004'. Well, my wife has looked at the '04, and doesn't like its large booty, or the styling of the 'C' pillar.

As a result, I'm looking for a loaded, 4x4, gold colored, nav system equipped, '03 RX300. Any ideas? I did find a nice '02 in Dallas, nav system, 2wd, for under $30K, but I'd really perfer 4wd for when we move back to snow country...one of these days...

Thanks for any suggestions/ideas.
  • pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    My 99RX FWD with TRAC is perfectly satisfactory in winter, and I live in the Buffalo Niagara region which is no stranger to snow. TRAC was optional on the 2WD model that year. Actually it's the first non 4WD vehicle I've owned in decades and the FWD Lexus is equal or better than any of them for winter driving. Sorry, no experience with any large FWD sedans.

Pete
    ...but they seem to be borderline impossible to find, new. The local dealer has basically said 'screw you if you don't want a 2004'. Well, my wife has looked at the '04, and doesn't like its large booty, or the styling of the 'C' pillar.

As a result, I'm looking for a loaded, 4x4, gold colored, nav system equipped, '03 RX300. Any ideas? I did find a nice '02 in Dallas, nav system, 2wd, for under $30K, but I'd really perfer 4wd for when we move back to snow country...one of these days...

Thanks for any suggestions/ideas.
    In response to #7425, my wife's current car is a '95 Dodge Intrepid, which is large, and it has the traction contol option on it. Now, this was the first few years of traction control, so it's rutidmentary, but it would easily take on about 8 inches of snow, at which point, the bumpers would start plowing, and that would be the problem.

We had a *really* steep gravel driveway in CO, at 9K feet, and as long as you were backing out, you'd be good. Forward was hopeless, but we didn't really have any turnaround room, anyway.

Kelly B
    (wanna own an M45...someday)
  • mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    I can appreciate your situation, as the RX300 and RX330 are both highly rated cars. I went into www.autotrader.com, and did an advanced search for a gold 2003 RX. I found seven including two with AWD. Good luck!
  • borg1of2borg1of2 Member Posts: 90
    You also my want to try jmlexus.com. They still have 300's on their lot. The web site may not be current, but you can certainly start by looking there and then asking them if they can get it. Good Luck
    Oh, I've found some, the 'problem' seems to be, the nav system is unusual as an option. Used to be, this wouldn't be a big deal, but last week, my wife got turned around enough so that she called me, and I talked her out via MS Streets&Trips on my work PC. Funny, but not confidence inspiring for her, y'know?

As it is, I found an '03 used in Dallas, with the nav system, 2wd only, and I'm considering having it looked at (I'm in Portland, OR, unfortunately, but have family in Dallas).

Thanks, again!!

Kelly B
    personally stuck with a '99 Suzuki Grand Vitara, 52K miles, and it has a blown rear end...couldn't sell for under trade-in, last year....
    I forgot to add, and this is probably the *most* important thing, you've *gotta* have decent studless snows if you think you're going to traverse anything resembling a hill. "All-season" tires are a joke.

Sheba, the Intrepid, did quite well on Yokohama Guardex 600's. Still have 'em hanging around, in fact, on a second set of beatup-able steel wheels.

Oh, and that Dallas 300 I found is an '02, but hey, the price is right.

Kelly B
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    If you do a "page refresh" with your browser immediately after posting a message, our software will duplicate your new post (it's a "feature" ;-) To avoid this, use the "Recent Msgs" link near the bottom of the page rather than "refresh."

tidester, host
  • drive2drive2 Member Posts: 10
    Dealer used prices on the window are way high.

I've been looking at used prices and it seems to me the dealers should be happy to sell a 2WD model with the premium package for the following:

2004 New MSRP 39,452 sell 38,452 (invoice 35,071)
    2003 New MSRP 40,300 sell 34,500 (incl. 1,500 incentive) norm 36,000
    2003 Used 32,500
    2002 30,000
    2001 27,000
    2000 24,000
    1999 21,000

All with normal milage.
    The prices drop all the time, about:
    250 a month
    750 a quarter (3 mo.)
    3000 a year.
    The longer on the lot, the lower the price. I see special ads for certified 2000 models for as little as 23,999. They start about 27,000 on the window. This is with normal miles, 38,000 for 2000.
    These are the KBB trade-in values for a 2WD Rx300 with all the standard items plus a 6 CD changer and roof rack. From my understanding, the dealer almost always offers less than this:

2002 23,500 18k miles
    2001 20,500 30k miles
    2000 18,200 42k miles
    1999 16,500 50k miles

Prices checked today, May 25, 2003, on www.KKB.com.
    Prices drop about $250 a month.

If they offer you more it's usually because the're taking less off the MSRP of the new one you're buying.

It would be good to know what you're actually getting, after you negotiate the best price on the new one.

The dealer puts 1000 into it (sometimes tires, brakes, detailing, etc.) and then they want at least 3500 above that to cover overhead, salaries, profit, etc. If they don't sell the vehicle in an alloted time (60 days?) even after marking it "ad special", it's eventualy sold to a wholesaler I beleive near the trade-in value. Sometimes these cars have a problem - rattle, rough idle, bad smell, etc. Knowing this one should be able to ignor the crazy sticker prices and negotiate a decent deal on a used one in very good shape.
    When they trade a car in, *two* deals are happening, simultaneously. They are trying to buy your car from you, at some low-ball figure, and trying to sell you theirs at the highest figure they can. If the price of the new one gets lowered $1K, look for how they're making up $1300 on your trade. It's there, somewhere....

New car dealers make as much, if not more, on the trade-ins they get. Most folks get nicely beat up on the trade in, as it's hard to work two deals, in your head. Price changes get easily hidden when you're working a car 'deal'. I've seen it from both sides of the desk, and I'm glad I know what I do from my three painful months selling new cars. Still feel kinda guilty about it, actually.... The final straw was seeing a couple get put into a car they could not afford, as they were shopping payments, and while the payments went down, they didn't understand it was a *6* year note. After that one, I walked out.

RX300-related info: The '02 2WD 300 I found in TX is really being sold through a dealer (says 'private seller' on traderonline.com, I've learned), and even though it's *exactly* what I'm looking for, I'd much rather find one either closer, or from an individual. That's just me, though. I wanna see/talk to the owner.

Kelly B
    Autotrader.com also has private party ads that turn out to be by a person with a resale dealer license. They sell several cars at a time. The price is usually on the low side so I looked one up on Autocheck (like Carfax) and it had 5 records on it. The minimum records I've seen is 2. I didn't buy the service yet so I'm not sure what 2 and 5 mean exactly.

Original owner is usually best.
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    When will RX 330 production switch to Ontario?
  • adb3adb3 Member Posts: 112
    Reports state it will occur in September.
    These can truly be worth it, as it might just save you a trip across town.

A girl here at work was looking for a car, and she plugged it into one of these services, and sure enough, the thing had been totaled, registered in a different state, and it was all in the title history. Now, it's not *always* right, as I looked up our Intrepid, and it shows an odometer 'discreapancy', when we moved from TX to CO. Someone transposed numbers, and it appeared the odo had been rolled back all of 10K miles. Not worth my time to fix, as this car is a long-term keeper.

The two records are probably initial title issuance, and maybe a registration, as it tracks every single event related to the title. Good service, 'sepcially online, where you can just type in a VIN, and get your info.

Kelly B
    Hello all,
      What would you consider as a good price on a used 2003 with under 10000 miles and all options except chrome wheels (nav is included).

Thanks
    Look at 7435 & 36.
    Try to look up invoice with the options and then subtract about $3000.
    (My guess is the dealer did not give more than $28,000 in trade.)
  • mlevinedcmlevinedc Member Posts: 45
    Hello all: I've looked through the archives and could not find a reference needed- Can someone point me to a web site(s) that shows how to 1. replace the front brake pads and 2. flush/change the brake fluid on my 2001 RX 300 AWD. I enjoy working the the vehicle myself, so please no lectures. I did read about the brake squeal TSB however I doubt whether simple brake wear applies. If anyone has experience doing the job, any recommendations as to brand of pads and/or fluid would be appreciated.

eMail me off the list if you prefer.

Mark
    markl@chiro.org
  • gsenthilgsenthil Member Posts: 154
    I presume you have already searched ClubLexus forums? Look for messages by bananags who has his own website for DIYers (though specific to GS can also be applied to RX)
    Amongst your friends is someone who will know the basics and that's really all it takes. I mean this in the very best of ways, but please, please, do not tackle this job for the first time without some experienced help looking over your shoulder.

And even then my advice would be to leave the brake fluid alone until about 100k miles or so, or until some serious level of brake work need be done.

Brake pad change-out is a really simple job but must be done perfectly and correctly to avoid potentially disastrous results.
    I test drove a RX330 today. The car had 18 inch wheels and that's the only way they come right now they said. I did not like the ride because of the excessive bouncing on the imperfect road. Also when I was parking it back at the dealer lot it seemed to have some uncertainty whether it wanted to shift into 2nd gear or stay in first. I drove away in my 2000 Avalon, happier than ever, because it just floats over the bumps.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    By the time your pads need replacing, the brake fluid does also. It absorbs water over time which will corrode ferrous parts and lower the boiling point. If you wait until 100K miles, you may not be able to loosen the bleed screws. I agree with wwest that if you've never done a brake job, get some help from someone who has. It's not rocket science but if you run into a problem, it's nice to have someone who knows what they're doing to offer advice.
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    I always change all fluids once every two years, regardless of miles. 100k miles is much too long imho, since brake fluid is hydroscopic in nature, and you can damage the system by contaminating it w/water.

I agree w/Mr.West however, that a brake job is not for a newbie to maintenance. Best to do it with someone with experience, and learn how it's done right, rather than brake (pun) something trying to do it yourself the first time.

My 2cents
    IS very hygroscopic, attracts water like fleas to a dog, but the only possible water entry "point" is at the filler cap and that is very well sealed to prevent any flow, airborne water vapor, etc.

If you ABSOLUTELY know hat you're doing, then tackle the fluid change. But in my most humble opinion the potential for safety hazards is greater for messing around with fluid changes than is with the minor level of moisture contamination over ~100k miles.

Even for master mechanics fluid changes eventually become a standard routine, and that often leads to undiscovered oversights, left to you to discover later. Not to imply that most dealers use master mechanics for routine maintenance work, most use McD "flipper" qualified mechanic helpers.
    My wife and I drove a 2000 RX300 today. We both thought it was very nice. Had moonroof, 6 CD changer, heated leather seats, 32K on the odometer. As a certified used Lexus it comes with a 3 year (from sale date), 100,000 (actual odometer reading) warranty. They had it priced at $30,900 and would sell it for $28,700. We didn't buy mainly because we didn't set out today to spend almost $30K. Does that sound like a reasonable price? It would be my wife's car and she currently drives a 1996 Explorer.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Brake fluid IS very hygroscopic...

Unless it is silicone based (DOT 5, e.g.) but is not recommended especially with ABS systems since it is more compressible than the usual (DOT 3 or 4) and tends to absorb air.

tidester, host
  • mlevinedcmlevinedc Member Posts: 45
    I still haven't really received an answer to my questions. Yes WWEST I am experienced with brake pad replacement having most recently done my '00 ML430's front and rears and probably 20 others in the past 30 years. I simply like to see a diagram of what I am getting into even before I remove a wheel from the ground.

Funny, when I posed the same question on the ML board, I got an immediate response with a wonderful web site pictoral reference.

As far as brake fluid, while I am certain I will hear about all the conspiracy therories of how brake fluid should last forever and oil doesn't need to be changed for 30,000 miles yadayada the fact is water and pollutants shouldn't get into a closed system but they do, and they will ruin the ABS system.

That said, does anyone know of a reference for a web site that shows the brake caliber exploded view and/or pad replacement procedure and procedure for replacing the brake fluid?
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    and try $20 on ebay for the Lexus shop manual you obviously don't want to buy from the dealer:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&cate- - gory=6762&item=2417664957

Lots of neato pictures, diagrams, exploded or not - and, it's a good place for you to get those cheap brake pads and brake fluid as well.
    Personally by the time I had your level of experience I simply tackled the job and only looked to the manuals if I became puzzled.

Engine lubricating oil is subject to the byproducts of combustion and therefore should be changed out on a reasonable schedule.

You can believe what you want about brake fluid but my opinion still stands the test of time.
  • baydogbaydog Member Posts: 15
    Can someone tell me how dark the gray interior is on the 2000 model. I noticed Lexus changed to black in 2001. Does it hide the dirt any better than the ivory?

Thanks,
    Ryan
    When looking at or in a 2000 RX, how do I tell whether it is AWD or front-wheel drive? There doesn't appear to be a badge on the back of the vehicle. Is the dash different?

Thanks!
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    There are differences in the 4th or 5th character of the vin #. You will need to checke with a dealer to get those. Also, the AWD has a differential in the rear.
    has CV-joint/drive shaft entering the center of each rear wheel, quick look will confirm.

Center diff'l is also quite visible.
    Same prices here in PA. The advertise CPOs at $30-31K, and come down about $2,000. There seems to be a premium of $3-4K for the certified used vs. non-certified from a dealer (even larger difference if you buy directly from a private party). I am leaning towards buying a non-certified one that still has at least 1 yr and 12,000 miles on the original 4-yr/50,000 warranty. Since it's a Lexus, I don't forsee $4,000 in covered warranty problems in years 2 and 3. What are your thoughts about the merits of spending more for this insurance?
    I agree, given Lexus build quality, probably not worth the premium. Interesting note: after returning from the dealer (recall they had the CPO 2000 listed at $30.9K and came down with no negotiation to $28.7K), I got on their website. They had the same vehicle listed w/o the CPO designation at $29.2. That tells me that once they determined it qualified for CPO status, they jacked the price up $1.7K. The other attraction Saturday was 1.9% financing but that ended May 31st.

My local dealer has at least a dozen used RX300s. They've got so many, 4 or 5 are parked out back, not even on display yet. I assume most of them are lease turn-ins although the sales guy claims they buy a lot from Lexus auctions. They only had one new RX330.

We went straight from the Lexus dealer to the Nissan dealer to drive a Murano. We had been very impressed when we drove one a month ago. Wasn't quite so impressive after driving the Lexus. Still a nice vehicle with very catchy styling but the deep dash and thick rear piller didn't go over big. Also, the ride didn't compare well to the Lexus (we drove the same route.) Luckily (for my wallet) my wife is content with her 1996 Explorer so we won't be doing anything soon.
  • ficklefickle Member Posts: 98
    I currently own a Camry and test drove a 03 RX300, my dream car. However, I was very surprised to find that the engine noise was noticeable in the cabin; whereas, in my Camry, I can barely hear it. I even turned the engine on in another RX300 to compare and it sounded the same. :(
    My questions are:

1)Is it "normal" to hear the engine in an SUV?
    2)Is the 330's engine quieter than the 300? (I suppose I could go back down to the dealership but thought I'd ask you all first.)

I was quite disappointed to be able to hear the engine "rumbling".
  • adb3adb3 Member Posts: 112
    You WILL hear engine noise in 300/330 vice Toyota/Lexus cars. But remember you are comparing cars to SUVs. It's almost like comparing apples to oranges. To be fair, you should compare 300/330 engine noise to other SUVs. In that comparison, IMO, 300/330 engines are quite refined.
    I've run a handful of carfax reports on 2000 RX300's. All were bought by various local dealers at auction. Mileage is average or below (<40,000 miles for a car that is 3.5 yrs old). Over half of them were originally registered as commercial vehicles. This surprises me. Some of the possibilities I've thought of, but I'm not sure what the deal is:

1-really used for commercial purposes, probably as a fleet vehicle (but how many RX300s are sitting at your local Hertz, and how would the mileage be so low if they were rented often?)

2-registered as a "truck" which automatically triggers a commercial flag on carfax (is this the case?)

3-registered through a person's private business but really driven as a private vehicles (perhaps to make the lease pmts tax-deductible).

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Ryan
    Just purchased a used 2003 RX. What are a couple of web sites where you can purchase parts (mats, etc.) at discount prices. I know of good ones for Honda but not Lexus.

Thanks
  • squacksquack Member Posts: 27
    Consider the possibility that these commercial vehicles were originally used as loaners at Lexus dealerships.
  • squacksquack Member Posts: 27
    Take a look at irontoad.com and lexus-parts.com
  • pdswaypdsway Member Posts: 14
    I have a 2k RX300 w/ gray leather and IT ROCKS! Why they discontinued it I have no clue. Its one of the reasons I never traded up for a newer RX. But now the RX330 has gray so...

It's a medium gray and does not show dirt. And best of all looks fantastic. If it werent for the usual cracks, mine would be perfect.

PDS