Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• Options
    QuazimotoQuazimoto Member Posts: 15
    If you spend the money to open the engine up to inspect the timing belt, I would just replace the belt. Better safe than stranded, IMHO.
  • Options
    ke2feke2fe Member Posts: 37
    I wish to replace the brake discs on my 2000 rx300 awd. I notice that there is a large nut with a cotter pin at the center of the disc. Does this have to be removed to enable removal of the disc? The front brake disc was very straight foward to remove. Remove the brake caliper and then pull the disc off the studs.
  • Options
    ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    When my 2001 RX300 is started after sitting in the garage for a while, there is a faint squealing sound from under the hood, reminds me of crickets. It mostly goes away after ~30 minutes of driving. Is this caused by the belts or pulleys?

Also I have seen quite a few other RX300s driving around with this cricket noise.
  • Options
    levyroblevyrob Member Posts: 22
    My 2000 RX300 FWD is about to go in for it's 45000 mile service, and will be out of warranty next month. I already know I want them to look at the brake noise when changing direction (can this be fixed?), a creaky driver's seat, and the driver's seatbelt doesn't always retract fully. The car also needs an alignment.

The question is whether there are any potential service or warranty items that should be mentioned before the vehicle goes out of warranty? I'd rather pre-emptively mention a problem then have it crop up in 2 months and be out-of-pocket.

Thanks,
    Rob
  • Options
    avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    Check front struts. Good luck on the seat belt. I had them replace mine once and still same problem. Worst designed item on the car in my opinion.
  • Options
    Avery1 -- What exactly is the potential problem with the front struts? I'm unaware of any problems when I drive -- but I may be missing something, since the car is my wife's rig.

Thanks,
    Rob
  • Options
    rparkrpark Member Posts: 14
    Our 2000 RX had a rattle coming from what seemed like the center of the dash. Pushing on the center cowl above the info screen made it better. I finally pulled into the dealer when it was doing it, and the tech knew what it was - the pins at the firewall can work loose, and the colder temps cause contraction of the pins, thus the rattle. Solution: "R&R dash & install noise kit" Part #08231-00801. I hope that helps....
  • Options
    mooretorquemooretorque Member Posts: 241
    Crickets are caused by dried out, likely cracked serpentine belt. Don't waste time with belt dressing

levyrob, there is a TSB on the strut tower mounts (actually, both front and rear); though not a danger (suspension won't fall off), causes clunking sounds in front and/or rear suspension. If it goes on long enough, it can also lead to strut failure. Both front mounts and rear mounts were replaced on our 99, and both front struts additionally. But no noise is good noise (news), so if your RX is proceeding down the road in the usual state of Lexus meditation-level silence, they are likely fine. Plus, this problem would have cropped up well before now.
  • Options
    hightoptennyrxhightoptennyrx Member Posts: 23
    Check the back of your keys for cracks between the screw and the actual metal part of the key. This breaks often, and is expensive to fix. A couple hundred a pop...trust me.
  • Options
    tccctccc Member Posts: 13
    I wish to switch my 2000 rx wheel with a new one. Does anyone know where I can find the diagrams to do the job properly, other than Chilton's? Also, has anyone out there done this and are there any pitfalls I may experience? Thanks.
  • Options
    rlui1rlui1 Member Posts: 93
    You may want to check the black plastic seat for the antenna. Mine looks prematurely worn on my 2002 RX. I've looked at other RX 300s and they are in better shape.
  • Options
    Has anybody seen an aftermarket repair manual? eg. Chiltons.
       I do own the shop manuals for the 2000 rx300 and they are the poorest shop manuals I have ever seen. Many diagrams of parts do not look like the parts found in the car.

Thanks for the help,

Ke2Fe
  • Options
    ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    the belt should last more than 40K miles, no? My RX300 started having these cricket sounds well before 40K miles. More like at 30K.
  • Options
    gsenthilgsenthil Member Posts: 154
    My engine drive belt (I dont think the timing belt) was replaced under warranty. Actually I thought it was normal (high pitched sound near the engine bay with engine running). The Service manager noticed it and said he will replace it under warranty.

I am at 45k and will ask them to do a thorogh checkup of the car at about 48k. Look at msn for possible problems related to your model year and you could be more specific when you ask them to check your RX
  • Options
    mooretorquemooretorque Member Posts: 241
    I'm referring to the serpentine belt, not your timing belt. The timing belt will last at least 90k miles, but the serpentine belt is just a lengthened, do everything version of the old alternator/A/C/water pump belts. Lifetime varies depending on environment as well as length of time in service. And as gsenthil pointed out, it's probably a warranty item this early on.......
  • Options
    peggyloupeggylou Member Posts: 40
    Hi everyone, I was about 90 +% decided to buy a new HOnda Odyssey or CRV, but on a lark today on the way home I stopped at Lexus and test drove an 02 RX 300 with 44,000 mi on it. Needless to say, I fell in love. IT is everything I want in a car, only missing feature is seat heaters. I'll live without. BUT... my concern is even used these are so expensive that I will be doing a 7 year loan to afford the payments, and the car will have about 150,000 mi on it by the time it is paid off. I really need to know that my car will live without huge repair bills until it is paid off. Any feedback out there on the reliability/reasonable lifespan for this suv? I know there are always miracle cars that go 400,000+ with just oil changes and brakes, but I am interested in the average car, how long I can reasonably expect it to be both safe and reliable. Also, do you find insurance costs to be reasonable for this car?

Last question- they are asking 28,000 for this one, certifid. Does that seem reasonable, or should I offer lower?

Thanks
    Peggy
  • Options
    gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    My wife owns a 2002 RX fully loaded with navigation and has had a great experience with it thus far. Aside from a squeaky steering column that was easily fixed she's had ZERO problems with it for 20K miles. 44 thousand miles for your potential suv seems a bit high for such a new car, but as you know, with the "certified" label you are covered for 3yrs/100K total vehicle miles.

Personally, I get itchy for a new set of wheels every few years so a 7 (!!) year payment plan on a used suv would be out of the question for me.. BUT if you are used to keeping cars for the long haul and take good care of them then Lexus seems to be the right brand to do it with... just keep in mind that once your certified coverage runs out all of your vehicle maintenance/repairs will more than likely be quite expensive on this suv.

If it were me (and its not, I know) I'd lease a brand new RX330 (they seem like an AWESOME vehicle) for 48 months... payments for this type of lease in my area (S. Fla) hover around $400+ per month with 1-2K to start off the lease. Not only would you have the latest and greatest, you'd be fully covered warranty-wise 'till you dump the vehicle, and you're driving one of the most cutting edge suv's out there.

Bottom line though, 28K for your '02 seems like a decent deal. The 44k miles and the 7 year payment plan is the only thing that makes it a "questionable" buy in my mind -- that RX was driven quite a bit in its two years of life.

One more thing, check out the CapitalOne finance payment calculator (there's a link to it here on edmunds on the left margin) to see how your finance numbers compare... notice that for auto loans they only go up to 6 years.. that should tell you somethin' ;)

Good luck!!
  • Options
    Thanks for replying. WE ended up getting the 02 RX and so far (after 1 day)I love it. Ended up getting $27,000 certified, with brand new tires and a bug deflector. Seemed like a pretty good deal, at any rate, they weren't going any lower.

I am concerned about the 44,000 mi on it, lost a lot of sleep trying to decide what to do. It turns out that hte car was a dealer service loaner, so it was worked hard, but at least they had all the service records and I knew it had been properly maintained. But I was going to pay more for a new Honda Odyssey that I liked a lot less than this, and Lexus is supposed to be super reliable right? And I don't intend to take full 7 yrs to pay it off, just want the low payment flexibility for if times get rough for a couple of months. Intend to pay more than reg payment each month and accelerate payoff.

My dealer was amazingly accomodating about a lot of stuff. Are all Lexus dealers like that? I was told that I can bring my car in anytime for a wash, clean inside windows, and vacuum carpets as long as I own it. They said, just don't abuse it by bringing it in when it clearly isn't dirty, but every other week is certainly ok, and every week if it does get that dirty that fast. Then they went on about how I should stop in for coffee and bagels in the am on my way to work (I work 1/2 mi away), and about then my jaw was dragging on the floor. No wonder they charge so much for hte car!

Here's hoping for a long and happy car life.
  • Options
    I installed a stainless steel exhaust tip on my 2000 RX...what a big difference...looks like the new RX330's. Can't believe for $40 grand new, the RX300 comes with such a cheesey tip. It is manufactured by Pilot, if anyone is interested in checking out their website.
  • Options
    I hope you enjoy your RX and the Lexus "experience" -- as for those free car washes, just try to figure out when your dealership is least busy and take it in then, otherwise you'll be waiting 30 minutes++ to get your car back. But hey, think of all the free coffee, doughnuts and bagels you can eat while you wait!!

It's a nice SUV and I think you'll love it -- enjoy!
  • Options
    ficklefickle Member Posts: 98
    I've been looking for a chrome exhaust tip. What's the website? Is it easy to install?
  • Options
    chsmithinschsmithins Member Posts: 11
    A chrome tip was the first thing I put on my 2003 RX after getting it. I simply went to a local muffler shop here in town. I went with a straight double pipe tip. They had to cut a little off the end of the original tailpipe as it tilts down at the end.

To my eye it really added a lot to the look of the car from the rear and sides. To my wife's eye, there wasn't much of a difference. Go figure!
  • Options
    Website is www.autoaccessories.com. They have a multitude of different types of tips to fit the tailpipe. You will need to cut off the end of the pipe with an exhaust cutter. The tips come in a bolt-on design, or a weld-on design.
  • Options
    slandyslandy Member Posts: 46
    Your problem is more than likely the power steering belt. It is known to squeal a little. The rx 300 does not have a serpentine belt. It has a belt for the alternator, and power steering, along with the timing belt, but that is not considered one of the "drive belts".
  • Options
    I took the plunge and got new tires for my wife's 2000 FWD RX300. Based on input from this board, I went with Michelin Cross Terrain's to replace the OEM Goodyear Integrity tires. I must say that the difference is noticeable. The ride is firmer and more secure, the car tracks better, and the pull to the right went away. The overall ride/handling now compares favorably with my father-in-law's 2001 model (that seemed to have the suspension retuned, and has Brsdgestone Duelers). Even my wife noticed the improvement, saying the car felt "sturdier".

The tires are just a little bit noisier than the Goodyear's, but not by much. The improved ride and handling more than outweigh the slightly increased noise.

We just took a road trip from San Diego to Palm Springs, on the back roads, and it was like driving a different car compared to the same trip 6 weeks ago. Sure, it's not a sports car, but the new tires make the car much more pleasant to drive.

I'd recommend the Integrity tires only if you are about to sell your car privately and need new, inexpensive tires to complete the sale. Otherwise, the Cross Terrains, although expensive, are worth it.

Rob
  • Options
    Just bought my used 02 RX300 on Sat. Monday am experienced hard 2-3 shift for first 5 minutes of driving car. Same again today. It bucks just like a bronc but then it warms up out of it and then runs beautifully. Trotted right over to dealer (since I had to give them my financing check anyway) and got the dreaded "thats normal, they all do that" response. Dealer told me to warm car up for 5 min before I drive anywhere. Does anyone else's RX do this? Am I looking at a tranny replacement as soon as my warranty is over (so it will be on my dime and not Lexus')?

I am just sick, am getting out of a Ford and bought this over Honda because 1- I loved it and 2- I thought it was supposed to be virtually bullet-proof as far as reliability is concerned.

Any and all input is appreciated, thanks in advance

Peggy
  • Options
    "Normal..they all do that" -- dealer responses like that make me want to throw up. "Warm it up for five minutes..." -- double ugh. These are not 1980 chevy's we're talking about here.

If it is doing it on a consistent basis then believe it or not that is GREAT news for you service-wise. If they can duplicate the problem they WILL fix it. Let them keep your RX overnight so they can drive it cold and feel these "normal" hesitations first hand. Take advantage of those free loaners and have them fix it sooner rather than later.

As to why this is happening I haven't a clue, but I'm sure some of the more mechanically inclined posters will chime in to help you.

Sorry for the short honeymoon and good luck peggylou!!
  • Options
    I have an appt for it to stay overnight and be looked at first thing in am next Tuesday. I also specifically told them to drive it without warming it up. But... even if they replicate it, how can I get them to fix it if they claim it is "normal and they all do it"? I am thinking of starting a logbook and every time I go in to complain about it and get told "its normal" having hte service writer sign, date, and write that he said it was normal. Then, if my warrantly expires and the thing dies 10K miles later, I have something to show to Lexus that I have been persuing this problem for however long and had been brushed off. Maybe if I ask them to put that "its normal" in writing htey will do something about it. I jsut feel sick, have had such bad luck with cars, I could have bought a brand new Honda! And I am getting out of a Ford that we thought was developing tranny problems. GRRRR...
  • Options
    I have a '99 and I live about a mile from the freeway. It takes about 5 minutes to get there in morning traffic. The car doesn't want to upshift easily during that 5 minutes. This was commented on during the first months by many people. It was explained as some way of minimizing pollutants from the car. I have gotten used to it and I don't push it. Maybe if I started up and got right on the freeway it would react as you mention, but I never have so I can't really say.
  • Options
    clee4clee4 Member Posts: 103
    I have a 01, garage kept, and I would be really upset if I had that problem and was told that it was normal. The few times that the vehicle has set outside when cold (25F-30F), I had no problem with rough idle or run. NORMAL, I don't think sooooo.
  • Options
    What happens if early one morning you try to make a left turn and the car hesitates a bit and "SMASH!!" -- Just explain to the police officer that a cold RX tends to hesitate a bit and send the insurance bill to your service advisor at Lexus. Not normal -- can't be, they'll fix it. Let us know peggylou.
  • Options
    There is no rough idle just a little change in shift points
  • Options
    jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    I believe it is true that the transmission will not upshift when the temp gage reads cold. My wife's 2001 RX does it, so does my 96 Camry V-6.

Cold engine uses richer mixture creating more emission. They try to get engine warm up faster by engine rev up by not letting the transmission to upshift.

High reving cold engine also is not good for transmission clutch when you shift from park to reverse, or from reverse to drive.

Just let the engine warm up before driving off if you can help it.
  • Options
    I am printed out the posts and am going to take them with me to dealers on Monday. I probably have a long battle ahead of me, but I want documentation that I am complaining from day 1, so if tranny falls on the ground 6 mo's after warranty expires, then I will have a basis to ask Lexus to step up and take care of it. Still am losing sleep over this, and can't really enjoy my new car as I keep thinking I screwed up majorly, which I couldn't afford to do after giving hte lease compay $3500 to take back my Ford Windstar early before it fell apart in my garage and I had to fix it (again).

BTW, have named new car "Bronc Lady" because she bucks like a bronc, but when shes done, she acts as sweet as any lady could.

Those of you who don't have hard shift problems, do you warm your car up for several minutes in the am? I am used to just getting in, turning the key and going. When I have to get kids to school on time, I just don't have 5 min to spare most of the time. When I do warm it up, it is usually fine.

Thanks again
    Peggy
  • Options
    jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    I can feel slightly different shift with my 00 RX300 when it just starts and go, but not "rough" at all. I think most cars when cold will not shift into overdrive. I usually warm up the car like 30 seconds then drive gentlly in the first 2 or 3 minutes. When temp needle comes up but not necessarily points at the middle, I will drive normally if I am in a hurry.
  • Options
    toydrivertoydriver Member Posts: 227
    I experienced a "hesitation" in upshifting while the engine is cold on my '99RX. It shifted smoothly, but the engine would rev to 3000rpm before shifting from 1-2 and 2-3 for the first couple of minutes. Was told by the L dealer that it was "normal" and to do with the emission equipment. My wife has a '01RX which doesn't do that at all. Just smooth shifting with low rpm from the start, no matter whether engine is cold or warm. They changed something by the '01 model year to effect this.
    (p.s. Don't have the '99 anymore - traded for other reasons)
  • Options
    Curious if anyone out there will admit to more than 150,000 miles on an early model RX ???
  • Options
    jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    I have 00 RX300 FWD and 02 QX4 AWD. I like both although they are different. RX is noticeably quieter (especially when accelerating hard, at high speed), smoother, softer, and its overall attention to details is at least a full notch above QX4. QX4 looks stronger, give me more feel of the road.

If I can only have one of those, I'd probablly pick RX300.
  • Options
    I have 120k on my 2000 rx300. I plan to go at least another 100k before I plan to dump it.
  • Options
    My '01 has 61k on it. The 60k service bill was over $800 at the Lexus dealer (seems high for fluid changes, tire balance/rot and inspections of everything). I love the car, and want to keep it going to at least 150K before trading.

Curious if RX OWNERS WITH HIGH MILEAGE value the extra cost of the Lexus dealer service, or if you use Toyota dealer service or some other ??
  • Options
    You can save by doing only what Lexus recommends in the manual. The dealer adds on unnecessary, expensive items onto the service.

I just took my '99 to an independent for the 90,000 mile service. He specializes in Japanese cars and uses Toyota parts. With his special I paid $318. Dealer wanted $1299 which included the timing belt which Lexus does not show as a recommended job at 90,000. Dealer was going to charge $599 for the Lexus recommended items. So far, so good. That was a couple of months ago. No car wash, loaner or coffee though he did offer a shuttle.
  • Options
    pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    I believe Lexus does recommend replacement of the timing belt at 90K miles! BTW, just had 70,000 service on my 99RX at a Toyota dealer for about $30.00, a hundred bucks cheaper than the Lexus store.

Pete
  • Options
    I looked in the manual for the RX and it isn't listed at 90,000
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    fwiw, we say it's due at 90k:

link

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Why would I take Edmund's advice of the advice in the manual?
  • Options
    quaziquazi Member Posts: 5
    The ETC tranny is programmed to warm the engine and the tranny ASAP. So, the unwillingness of the tranny to up shift when cold IS normal and is a good thing for the vehicle. It takes some getting used to, but it is only for the first couple of minutes.

I thought the timing belt was a 90k item. I paid the $1,200 for the Lexus job. I got to drive a RX 330 for a week, after they cracked a pulley and had to order the part and replace it, on them ;)

I do not like the new 330 as much as the old 300. Weird looking, and the ergonomic design is not as good. Of course I love the 300, so I am prejudiced.
  • Options
    "tranny programmed to warm the engine... is normal and good for the vehicle". If so, why would this "behavior" be peculiar to only the early model RX, that was corrected by the 2001 model. My '01 shifts the same when the engine is cold as it does when warm. My previous '99 had the problem.
    I'm not suggesting that it means that the transmission is faulty, only that Lexus corrected this annoying performance issue by the later RX300
    models.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    My 01 AWD RX will not shift into overdrive until I get at least 2 miles toward work in the morning.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'd go with what's in my manual. I'd also be curious to see what Pschiffe's manual says. Could be some VIN differences going on.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Well, do you know when your '01 was manufactured?
    I didn't notice it on "loaner" '01's and '02's and as I said before, it hasn't ever happened on my FWD '01 which was manufactured later in 2001.
    I've discussed this with the Lexus service guy who says that something was changed for the later model RXs to allow "cold-shifting" into overdrive.