Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• peggyloupeggylou Member Posts: 40
    Thanks again to all who replied to me. Just wanted to give a quick update, service manager drove car and verified a "problem" although not what I described. I put that down to differences in driving habits. He mashed the gas and revved it right up, I take it up a little more slowly. Anyway, so they decided to flush tranny fluid and retest with a cold am drive. He still felt a little jerk so has decided to change the "valve body". Also, they saw debris when they changed teh tranny fluid. He did say that if the valve body doesn't fix it, it will get a whole new tranny. But... my question to the group is, if there was debris in the fluid, could anything outside hte valve body have been damaged? Service advisor is trying to tell me that because of the design of the valve body, most of the debris gets caught in it and doesn't go into the rest of the system.

Just for reference, they gave me an RX330 loaner. My personal opinion if they where side by side and same price, miles, etc, I would buy the 300. While some of the features in the 330 are nice, it is just too big. REally like the 300 because for ME, it is just hte right size. Only thing I would change is the turning radius.
  • pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    Here's what my manual says for 90,000 mile scheduled maintenance:

Additional Maintenance Items for Special Operating Conditions: (itallics are mine)
    [ ] Replace Timing Belt

Special Operating Conditions: (from page 53)
    1. Towing a trailer or using a camper or cartop carrier.
    2. Repeated short trips of less than 5 miles in temperatures below freezing.
    3. Extensive idling or low-speed driving for long distances as in heavy commercial use such as delivery, taxi, or patrol car.
    4. Operating on rough, muddy, or salt-covered roads.
    5. Operating on unpaved or dusty roads.

At least a couple of the above apply and also since I've been using the 5,000 mile oil change intervals suggested for "most driving conditions", I will probably opt for timing belt replacement at 90K.

Pete
    At least Lexus is stepping up to the plate and taking care of my car, they are now putting in a new tranny. The valve body didn't work. Unfortunately, this just makes me wonder how good the rest of the car is if the tranny goes out at 44K mi. Was talking with service manager about tran fluid drain vs flush (they only drain during normal service) and I made the comment that Ford was adament that tran fluid must be flushed and he sniffed and said "well Ford has tranny problems". Kind of wanted to say "look whos talking, Lexus out at 44K? You can't tell me they are perfect".

Anyway, hopefully I will get it back sometime next week and can start enjoying my new ride.

Take care everybody
    Peggy
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    Glad to hear that they are making things right.. If I recall your RX was a service loaner right? I can only imagine how rough that poor baby was driven! But hey, you got yourself a new transmission included with your original purchase price. Other things might crop up so be sure you're extra courteous to your service rep.. you've got three years of CPO coverage left and a good relationship with him/her will go a long way to making your whole car experience better.

If your service rep has gone out of his/her way to help you, you might consider writing a brief "thank you" letter and sending it to the dealer GM or service manager.. it WILL trickle down to your service rep and they'll be HAPPY to take care of you again. Plus if you take the time to write them when things go RIGHT, can you imagine what they'll think you'll do if things go WRONG!!:)

Hopefully, it will be regular maintenance from now on...good luck peggylou!!
  • gambiamangambiaman Member Posts: 131
    I got my 30K service done at Lexus for over $400 and the 60K done at Toyota for about $300.
  • houtexrxhoutexrx Member Posts: 2
    My 01 RX300 was taken to Northside Lexus in Houston over two weeks ago to have the brakes looked at (they squeal like all get out and have since I purchased the vehicle!) and to have the A/C motor checked out (they replaced it shortly b4 Christmas and now it is terribly loud with audible noises behind the glove compartment). My service consultant called me later that afternoon and informed me that I was not going to be happy - they had cracked my bumper during the service! Well, they attempted to return it to me on Friday with THE WORST body work (the bumper protruded about 3/4 in out from the fender!) and the Service Manager had a very patronizing, condescending attitude about my displeasure and refusal of the vehicle. I have yet to have a "Lexus" experience from this dealership and wonder if others have as many issues as I do. Every time I take my car in, they manage to damage it (on its 1st trip in, they backed it into something and damaged the rear bumper, in November 2003 they scratched the hood using what appeared to be a dry chamois, on the Christmas trip to the dealer they dropped a chemical on the fender that stripped the clear coat, and now this! They have corrected the hood and fender issues with an orbital buffer but there are now swirl marks all over my beautiful black RX! It spends a great deal of time at the dealership as NEVER have I taken it in and not had to return at least once with the same issue (most of the time it requires two additional trips to get something corrected!) Friends and family that were once interested in a Lexus are now looking in other directions due to my circumstances. Any advise on my recourse with the vehicle damage issues as well as all of the other problems?
    you go to the Lexus owner anchor website:

Lexus Owners

You'll need to register if you haven't done so previously. Click on "Quick Links" then "Contact Lexus". Let the Lexus Customer Assistance Center investigate your grievances. You will probably hear back directly from the dealer, but may encounter a much more conciliatory attitude!

Pete
  • houtexrxhoutexrx Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the link to the site. I will register immediately and await the conclusion of this episode before I have them begin an "investigation".
  • johngreisjohngreis Member Posts: 70
    I have this "not shifting when cold" on my '99 Prism (Toyota Corolla). I had it on a 2000 RX300 and now have it on a RX330. I don't believe for a minute that it is good for anything except pollution. Running up the RPM's as you are required to do with a cold engine is NEVER good for the engine or transmission.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The transmission fluid probably allows easier shifting and better overall functionally once it's up to "proper" operating temperature.

Since the torque convertor is likely a big source of the heating of the fluid, taking it off-line with the lock-up solenoid in OD would very likely delay smooth operation and maybe even adversely affect reliability/longivity of the transmission.

If over-reving the engine when it's cold, lubricating oil like molasses, is bad the same should be said for the transmission. Life is full of "balances", compromises.

And speaking of cold engines, putting the transmission in OD would probably result in "lugging" the engine somewhat, and that is very hard on a cold engine.
    Thanks again to all who responded to my concerns. I got my car back Friday night. Lexus ended up completely changing the transmission out. So far, so good, no bucking, or even any noticible hesitation while cold (although I am pretty gentle and always try to accelerate slowly when my cars are cold).

Gteach, thanks for the suggestion to send the dealer a thank-you letter. I will definitely do that, its a great idea.

In the meantime, I am loving my Lexus!!!

Peggy
  • slandyslandy Member Posts: 46
    FWIW. I have an 01 Rx 300 AWD. I have 104k miles on it. I just replaced the original brakes last week, the backs were almost gone, the fronts still had 40% left. The new disign pads are so much smoother. But, they will NOT last as long. Its all about compromises. I also replaced my struts, they were getting a little soft. I tow, go in mud, down dusty trails in mine. I dont baby it at all. I due a drain and refill every 15 miles on the tranny with toyota TypeIV fluid only. This weekend I dropped the trans pan and it was spotless, I removed the metal filter and cleaned it pretty good. It's all like new.
    My rx will not shift into OD until warm. The reason they do this is that tranny fluid is not very functional until it reaches a certain temp. When the tranny is cold and going 70 mph in od it is very stressful in regards to the wear factor.
    I am an ex Toyota tech, I would love to help anybody with any quistions. I have not been here in a while, I just bought a new 4runner sport, V8 AWD, and have been on those boards. Anybody please feel free to email me or whatever with any thoughts. Thanks Steven
    If you would like to do something nice. Go and pick up a 15 or 20.00 dollar gift certificate at a local rest, like Longhorns or whatever. Give that to the Service Writer. I also like to make sure the same person works on my car. I meet and talk to him every time I go in. He gets one also. You wont believe what it will do! My playcar is an 02 BMW M3 convertible. I have great repore with the service dept. My car had a recall in regards to the engine bearings. They were to replace the bearings and oil pump only. The tech went ahead and asked for a new 100% engine from the factory. Remember.... It is all in the way you handle and treat people in every part of your life. I have a weakness, Its cars. My wife hates it! Sorry for rambling on.
  • ke2feke2fe Member Posts: 37
    Hi Slandy,

I have a 2000 rx300 with 120k miles. Recently I did a brake job on all four wheels. When I looked at the rear wheel disk, it looked like it was attached to the rear axle. I saw a large nut which was secured with a cotter pin. How is this rear disk removed in order to replace it with a new one?

Thanks,

KE2FE
    You have to remove the caliper and mounting bracket. If my memory serves me right, you take off the 2 12mm bolts holding on the caliper, slide it up and pull it off, sliding it towards the middle of the car. Just rest it on something, you dont have to remove the hose. Then remove the bracket, I think it was a 17mm or 14 mm bolts. After that is off, the rotor will come straight off. It might be rusted on a little, just tap it a little. After you removed the rotor, you will see the drum shoes for the emergency brake. They are very very thin. Why are you having to replace the rotors?
  • shoes4industryshoes4industry Member Posts: 18
    Hello, I'm looking at possibly picking up a 99 or 00 RX and was wondering if there was anything I need to be careful of, other than regular maintainance and stuff. I know that the timing belt needs to be done at 90K. Does the timing belt breaking wreck the engine or just immobilize the car? I'd like to get at least SOME time on this car before I have to do a lot of repairs. If not this, I might go for a newer minivan, but the RX would be a lot nicer car.
    The 3.0 litre engine is a non-interference motor. Which means if it fails it will just leave you stranded. However, there is more too it than just the timing belt. The idler pulley bearing can sieze up without notice, If that happens its a pretty big mess.
    That's good, just like on my 99 Camry. Does the idler pulley get done along with the belt at 90k? Is there anything else pricey that needs to be done on this car around the 90-100k mark? Oh, and does the RX need premium gas? Consumer Reports doesn't say so, but others have. Thanks for the info.
    The RX is basically front wheel drive, even the AWD models. So VSC/Trac is a very important feature and that wasn't available until the 01 model year. If the one you're considering is FWD only then I think those did have Trac, a highly desireable option for a FWD vehicle.

The AWD RX supposedly has a viscous clutch for bringing the rear wheels on-line with front slippage but the advent of VSC/Trac in 01 made that feature virtually useless and so it was dropped for 04 and future models.
    You will want to get the timing belt, idler pulley, crankshaft seal, water pump, engine belts replaced. Since the tech is in there, it would be foolish not to do it. You would hate to have the water pump go out after you just paid someone to be there right at it. You will also get a full coolant flush also, or at least the should do it.
  • glenfordglenford Member Posts: 138
    shoes4...,

My 00 RX owner's manual calls for regular gas,, and I have been using it with no problems.

As to the post 8066 by wwest, I'm not so sure about the importance of VSC/trac...At least in the AWD version, if going in bad weather conditions is the issue. I have been very satisfied with mine in moderately deep snow and slippery surfaces in NY winters. (Not sure from the post - may have only meant this for FWD versions.)

My bad weather performance comparison point is to a Subaru Legacy we also own.

I do run "severe weather" rated tires on both.
  • mooretorquemooretorque Member Posts: 241
    slandy, I was also told (by my dealer) that the delay in shifting when cold till fluid hit (as I. probably incorrectly, recall) 184 F. was to light off the cat faster. True, or just added benefit??

shoes4industry, Firesign Theater fan??

willard, philosophically I still prefer the viscous clutch and (optional) limited slip rear differential of my old 300 to the VSC/TRAC solution............but the 330's system seems more robust (for lack of a better word) even allowing for VSC. Have you done any experimenting in the garage (or elsewhere) with yours yet??
    Yep, Firesign... :-)

My insurance agent quoted me a slightly higher rate for the 99 than the 2000....any idea why?
    Thanks for the answer and the help. The rust between the axle and the rear rotor is very complete. They rotors have 120k miles on them. I have done my 2nd brake job and I never turned the rotors. I do not believe in removing mass from rotors because I believe that will cause them to run at a higher temp when braking and this might lead to fading. I did not measure their thickness with a caliper, but I will the next time I see them. (ex. tire removal)
    I do understand about removing the calipers in order to remove the rotors. It is a pleasure to speak with someone who knows the car. I have been doing all the maintainence myself with the exception of the timing belt.
    Once again, thanks for the help.

Bob
    I haven't purchased an RX330, still hanging on to the 300. What I did discover during our ice and snowstorm here in Seattle this winter was the the Trac function kicks in long before the VC would have a chance to stiffen.

I found a large vacant parking lot, dropped the chains, and gunned it a few times. To my surprise the Trac system kicked in almost immediately and shortly therefore dethrottled the engine. No fun at all. Made several runs at it, sometimes twisting the wheel radically to engage the VSC, with no success. All it would seemingly do was apply the brakes at the front and then suppress the engine output to a non-slip level.

Otherwise it performed very satisfactory with just rear snowchains throughout the period.

I was hoping to make another trip to europe this summer and pick up an X3 to bring back. But now summer plans have become indeterminate.

But I do really want to see and drive the new RX400h before I decide on the 330. I'll still probably op for the 330 since I don't quite see the sense of V8 performance. I'd much rather see the hybrid RX with a 4L and 3.3L V6 performance.

After seeing that ad wherein the guy ties his 4WD pickup to a tree and then guns it a few times to show that all four are "working" I'm out looking for a good stout tree to tie the RX to.
  • 02electronblue02electronblue Member Posts: 22
    I took my 01 AWD to the dealer last month for the 60K service. To pay for the Krispy Kremes and the good coffee, the dealer's 60K service includes many more items than the owner's manual requires at 60K. The initial quote was $635. I asked for only what was in the manual...out the door it was $386, including the free rental.

Despite the new RX330, still loving my "old" one. I plan to keep for another 100K.

And even though it isn't perfect, I still enjoy having GPS.

So...my question to you'all who've changed the timing belt/water pump, etc., etc., how much was it? Should I start saving now? Thanks for any feedback.
  • saratogasaratoga Member Posts: 2
    Well, up to this point I loved this car. However with 75,000 mi, 4 years old and service done every 5,000 mi (not the 7,500 service schedule) Lexus will only cover half of the $1400 bill. We have called the Lexus customer service line and this is the resolution we got. I don't believe that there are any other options to appeal this. Does anyone have any suggestions? This car is only 5,000 mi out of warrenty. There is only one dealership within a 250 mi radius, therefore they have the attitude that they are the only game in town. This attitude is evident even in the car shows that are held in the Albany, NY area because they don't participate.

I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER LEXUS AND I WILL NEVER RECOMMEND THAT ANYONE ELSE BUY ONE EITHER IF THEY DON'T MAKE GOOD ON THIS PROBLEM.

Also at 50,000 mi the drivers visor broke and I have to go to the customer service # in order to get the dealer to fix it.I had called the dealer before the 50,000 mi warrenty but when I brought it to the dealership for the 50,000 mi service there was more than 50,000 mi on the car and they fought about covering the visor.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    What kind of warranty did you have? I thought the warranty on most items was 50,000 miles. Am I misremembering?
  • saratogasaratoga Member Posts: 2
    We were told by Lexus that it was covered up to 70,000 mi. I just got some additional info from my husband. He called Lexus in Syracuse, NY (3 hours west of us) and got a price from them to fix the same problem: $903.00 total including taxes. How can that be !!! The Lexus dealer here in Albany, NY quoted $1460.00 including tax and we would have to pay half. What a ripoff. He is calling Lexus customer service as I type this. Will let you know what happens.
    Why are you so upset? Lexus warrants a product for a certain amount of time. You gone past the warranty, they are willing to pay half and you are still upset? They could have said sorry, you pay 100% Where should be the stopping point. They have one of, if not the best powertrain warranty in the business.
    So if I understand this correctly: They are willing to split it with you but you still wont buy another Lexus product because of this? Go ahead and buy something else and see where you are at with 70k.
    I was thinking along the same lines as slandy. They are under no obligation to do anything...

Here's the only exception I could think of that may help you: IF you had service every 5000 miles AND they did all of those supposed "multi-point" inspections they love to put on the service write ups, shouldn't they have found that the seal was developing a problem sooner? Perhaps that's why they are covering half the cost?

I know it stinks to have to pay lots of $$ to fix anything --but we all have to go through it eventually -- yes, even with Lexus.
    There is no way at all to determine when the seal is going to start leaking. That seal is not visible at all. The reason the repair is so expensive is that you have to remove the entire transmission assembly to get the seal. On a manual transmission car, you always replace the seal when you do a clutch job. You would cry if you just paid someone to take out the trans then do it again.
    Car been in a Lexus shop recently??

A friend took his 91 LS in to be serviced at Bellevue Lexus and the next day discovered a smallish pool of oily fluid on the floor of his otherwise pristine garage floor. It seemed impossible to me that Lexus could have done something to cause this so he spent $1100 to have the seal replaced.

Later I heard rumors that over-filling the engine with oil will sometimes cause the rear main seal to blow.
    Man, Dont put that into her head. She is ready to blow already!! LOL. Yall have a great weekend. I am going to the auto show here in Atlanta Tommorrow to dream.
    Get a quote from a Toyota dealer on that rear main seal replacement!

Pete
    Thats a good idea, but they wont give her 50% off like the Lexus dealer.
    In all the years I have been reading the posts at this BBS, I don't remember a main seal leaking on an RX 300. I think you are just very unlucky to have it happen, but with any car, anything can happen. I have 120k on my rx300 and I am expecting the sky to fall anyday on me. I believe the rest of the Lexus owner for the most part are very happy with the car. I will buy another RX one of these days--or years.

Good luck
  • silly1040silly1040 Member Posts: 48
    The front windshield of my 01 RX300 has a wavy warp to it. It looks kind of like the orange peel appearance on paint.

A Rep. at Lexus stated that it looked like a defect, once he confirmed that it was the factory windshield. My friend believes that it is the plastic between the glass that is warping, due to the heat her in Las Vegas.

My mileage is 58,000 and the warranty has expired many miles ago.

Do you think that this is a windshield defect or something that just happens with time? I've never seen anything like this.

Do you think that Lexus would be willing to replace the windshield if it is a faulty product even though I have excessive mileage?

Thanks to all for the input and suggestions,

Troy
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    I have a '99 with 94.000 miles. I just noticed that in certain light at a certain angle I see a pattern of dark spots on one of the side windows. Not sure if it is the same on the other windows because it is dependent on angle of viewing and angle of light. Is this what you are talking about? You said the windshield has a wavy warp. Do you mean the actual glass? Anyway, you are not that far out of warranty and my experience has been that they have always offered a significant discount when fixing the couple of problems I have had after the warranty was over. But I assume it is different dealer to dealer.
    I wouldnt worry about it. If there is one thing that had gone down hill for sure on cars, its gotta be windshields. Mine had the same problem. On my 02 BMW it has it alot worse. I have heard some dealerships will replace it, but with you being that far out of warranty I think it might be hard. I had to replace mine because of a crack. The repair has been nothing but a headache, the side moudlings wont stay on etc. Its really been a pain.
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    Ok after many of attempts of linking the garage opener to the homelink i have came to the conclusion i need help. My wifes Lexus is a 2000 RX300 that we purchased last summer I have read the book and did all it suggested and it seems to blink like it takes it but it will not open the garage . Any suggestions would greatly help ... Thanks
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    I do not remember all the details I did four years ago on my 00 RX, but at some point I pressed a button on the garage door opener to "teach" homelink the rolling code pattern. By the way certain old types of garage door opener will probably not work. Also some button needs to be pressed and held down for many seconds, not just press and let go...
    My wife's 02 RX homelink opens our Genie Intellicode (with rolling code security feature)opener with no problems. INITIALLY, IT CAN BE A PAIN TO PROGRAM THOUGH!!

Try these steps..

1. Erase the homelink memory by holding the two outside buttons on the unit for twenty seconds.

2. Program your garage remote into one of the homelink buttons by pressing down the garage opener button and the homelink button at the same time. A blinking light on the homelink confirms it "took"

3. Next, go up to the opener unit and open the casing where the light bulb is. There is a little black button in there with a little red light next to it. Press that button and wait for the red light to come on.

Now...

4. While that little red light is lit on the opener you have about 10-20 seconds to go back to the homelink and press the button you just programed with you garage remote. Press that homelink button up to 5 times. Once your garage closes or opens you are fully programmed and it should work from then on.

Worst case, if you still cannot get it to work then call homelink's 800 number (it is in the RX manual) -- I had to call them the first time I tried to program it a few years back and they were very helpful. As far as I know, homelink works with ALL openers even the one with rolling security codes.

Good luck!
    Local Toyota quoted for $28 for highlander that is identical to RX300. The best online I found is $19. Too expensive. I'd check the general purpose filter from Home Depot but it won't fit perfect. Or just gently wash the old one and re-use it.
    Purolator® should have a replacement on the market soon, check the link below:

Purolator C38222

Pete
    Thanks Pete for the info.
  • hcu87hcu87 Member Posts: 6
    Don't give up on programming your Homelink. It took me quite a few tries, but it's worth it! One thing I did was install a brand new battery in the garage door opener (took it out and put back the "old" battery afterward)per the manual's suggestion and that may have helped.

Also, make sure that you are not in the vicinity of your garage door when you do the programming because that can screw it up, too.

I must admit that I didn't do anything about erasing the old code even though it's a '01 I bought used.

Just follow the directions and be patient. I think it took me a couple weeks to finally get it right but I was psyched!

And now I'm moving so I'll be reprogramming mine in just a few days!
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    Oh what a feeling it is when you read some advice walk out and you walk back in with in two minutes with the homelink closing the garage opener behind you:). The question that i cant answer and my wife surly is thinking (her Vehicle) is we purchased it in August of last year what took me so long .....Thanks for all the good advice
    No more ugly clickers on your visor to mess up the appearance of your RX.. no more fumbling around for one either!!
    I'm the proud owner of a 2000 RX300....I got a great deal on it and we love it so far (just got it today), but the dealer (not a Lexus dealer) only had one key. As part of the purchase agreement, they agreed to pay for a replacement one, but I was wondering if it's possible to get a "regular" key as a spare, without the built-in buttons; I'd like to have an extra that doesn't go with my wife or me. It looks like these aren't conventional keys, so I'm not sure if it's possible.

Also, does anyone know who makes the glovebox-mounted CD changer? I'd like to pick up an extra cartridge and if it's a major electronics brand, it would probably be cheaper than buying the official Lexus one. Thanks!