Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    On my '99 the passenger and driver's side are different lengths. Did you mix them up?
  • pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    I just put Bosch Micro Edge Excel blades on my 99, seem to work and fit fine, part numbers, lengths and cost:
    Driver side 40 924 (24") $12.00
    Passenger side 40 921 (21") $8.50
    Rear 40 916 (16") $6.45

Pete :)
    The ECM (Engine Control Module) can hold up to 10 registered (recognized) keys, 7 master and 3 valet keys. If your two keys have the black remote 3-button head and won't program, I'd try replacing the battery. Remove the tiny screw on the key bow using a #00 jewelers' Phillips screwdriver to access the transmitter sub-assembly module, the replacement is a 3v lithium coin cell battery, Duracell DL1616, Eveready ECR1616, Panasonic CR1616 or equivalent. Hope this helps.

• kybrucekybruce Member Posts: 2
    We bought our 01 RX300 in October 2004. Had 69k on it. Has premium package including HID headlights, CD changer and black leather seats. Paid $19,000 for it, which seemed like a great deal (private party). Is two tone silver blue. Had howling noise on highway, which owner (Toyota employee) said was tires. We changed to new Firestone's and fixed the howl, rides very quiet now. Since bought it, have painted the luggage rack cross bars on roof, as they were turning silver and black paint was coming off. Also painted side bar holder brackets to match body color. Added a spoiler and painted to match body. The biggest hassle was changing Alternator belt. Spent almost 5 hours in my garage changing the stupid thing. Next time, would have mechanic do it.

In December just before Christmas, had about 8 inch snow over ice. Had both our kids cars break down on their trip coming home for Christmas from college. We had to take the RX300 out on bad roads at night to pick them up. This SUV WAS AWESOME! It has VSC which really works, almost no fun driving on snow. The tires worked great and the "Snow" switch seemed to also work. My wife feels much more safe driving this on ice, rain or snow and seems to handle great.

We are thinking of towing a small camper trailer in future (< 3,500 lbs). I do not think this has the tow package. Anyone with advice, would love to hear it. Overall, we are very pleased with this vehicle and think we got a great deal and plan to keep it many years.
  • jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    We have a 2001 RX300. I don't dare to tow anything with RX300 than two bikes on a rack. The FWD RX engine is not truck type engine to pull campers. remember that RX300 is based on Camy platform and not Tacoma.
    I alway wonder about that A/T overheat light in the dash. Why does Lexus feel they need a overheat warning light for A/T? No one else has the light.

Don't get me wrong...I love the RX300, but it is not suitable for towing. I bought a 2003 Explorer for pulling camper.

Joe
  • toydrivertoydriver Member Posts: 227
    I know this has been discussed many times, but I'm interested in updates.
    Have '01 RX300 with 82K miles, bought new.

OEM Goodyear Integrity - junk, never again.
    Replaced with Bridgestone Dueler H/L - good mileage, but too noisy and lousy in snow.
    Don't want to spend the bucks for Michelin Cross Terrains.

Has anyone experienced the Yokohama Geolander H/T-S G051 or Firestone Destination LE ???
    Any input is welcome. :)
  • konzdkonzd Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info - like others, I new somebody had to have done this successfully before. I'll check out the sites listed and the wiring available under the vehicle and in the cargo area. thanks again.
  • Get the Michelin LTX. They're less money than the Cross Terrains. Quiet. Look great and had no problem in the 15" snow fall last winter. Only ones to get out of our court for two days were me and a neighbor with a Silverado 4X4. Very deep tread, should get great longevity.
  • kybrucekybruce Member Posts: 2
    We have the Firestone Destination LE tires (see post 8615). They fixed a howling noise that the previous older Goodyears had. They worked great in an ice and 8 inch snow last year. We have not rotated them yet, but probably have less than 5k miles on them. So far, have been pleased with them. We paid $70 each from them from Tirerack.com and had them shipped to local tire shop who mounted and balanced them for about $40. The shop owner said he had same tires on his Blazer and really liked them, but said he could not even buy them from his distributor for $70 each.
  • toydrivertoydriver Member Posts: 227
    Thanks for the input.
    It seems that Firestone is coming out with better tires after their "bad press" vis a vis the Ford Explorer.
    The Destination LE seems to be very competetively priced, through TireRack.
    I think those are the ones we'll try.

Thanks again.
  • samk123samk123 Member Posts: 2
    Check engine light on my RX 300 just came on. Should I be concerned ? I had an oil change done about 3 weeks ago, they opened the hood and also tried to remove the air filter - could the mechanic have dislodged something behind the filter ? It seems odd that it would show up 3 weeks later. I have 60K miles. Would this be covered under the powertrain warranty ?
  • ckratchckratch Member Posts: 2
    Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    '99 rx300 problem.
    Ignition key came out in the 'accessory' mode. When key was re-inserted it would not turn. Would not start or allow any movement. Had to have car towed 200 miles to nearest dealer. They replaced ignition. Good friend had same problem a week earlier. Has Lexus posted a warning? Will they? Lexus Roadside Assistance person said they are experiencing similar problems. Anyone else seeing this problem?
  • mikey00mikey00 Member Posts: 462
    There is a black rubber vacuum hose behind the black box that the air filter is in. When they attempted to check the filter they pulled up on this hose causing it to come off the metal tube it is attached to. All you have to do is re-attach it. I posted this same message many times and always had positive feedback. One was even after the dealer wanted $400 to replace some sensors. Check it before you go to the dealer.
  • samk123samk123 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Mike
    Out 2001 RX did this. My wife called me at work and asked me what to do. She said she had seen the RX do this before, but was able to free the steering before.

I told her to hold the steering wheel by one hand and try to move the key back and forth without steering wheel column putting any side load on ignition module/lock. She did that and was able to free the stuck key and would not move to start position.

I know this is a problem with RX, but I don't know if Lexus has come out and said " yes, there is a defect and we will fix it!"

Joe
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    Hi I am looking for some help on our 2000 RX 300. The left rear hatch air hinge pin broke on the upper mount. I called the dealer and he said that on the lower mount you can get a replacement pin but on the upper you have to buy the whole unit. The quoted cost is $180.00 all suggestions or ideas ? Thanks ... Matt
  • jfisjfis Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

My 2000 RX300 had the same problem. Then it was fine for 2 months. Now it is not shifting well. But the problem never lasts long enough to show Lexus. I was just curious if you have found others and came up with any relevant info.

thanks.
  • gambiamangambiaman Member Posts: 131
    Yesterday I opened the front window after work to cool off the car and the front passenger window closed with no problem. I then stopped on the way home and since I was right in front of the place I was going in I opened all the windows again and left them open. When I came out the front passenger window would not go up. I tried it several times the rest of the day and night and no luck. This morning I was going to check the fuse but I tried the window and up it went. At least if it had stayed down and not worked there would be a problem some where that could be fixed, now I am worried about getting somewhere and not being able to get the window up. Anyone else have this problem? My wife's ES300 has a rear window that refuses to go down at times. Fortunately it is under warranty and I am taking it in next week to get it repaired. Thinking of having them check mine but it is presently working and is not under warranty.
    Suggetions??
    Thanks
  • wbboogerwbbooger Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if you have to take vehicle to the dealer to install and update the gps navigation? Or can you just buy the updated cd and install it yourself. I have a 2001 RX300 with the 2000 version 1 cd. Also, is there somewhere else to get these cds other than the dealer? I don't need the most recent update. Any newer version over mine would be just fine.
  • sergio2sergio2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Proud owner for past 4 years of 1999 RX300 approx 90K . Have experienced for over a year and a half a clapping noise when starting cold engine. Happens only once with first start in the morning for about 2-3 seconds. Best way to describe noise in similar to valve noise on diesel engines. Will not hear the same noise again even if you restart the engine immediately after. Went to Lexus Dealership twice about this and they can certainly hear the noise but cannot isolated long enough to identify its source. A few friends have told me that it may be the oil pump taking a few seconds to pump oil back into the engine. Anyone else had this problem and if so what is it and what can I do about it.

thanks,
  • 02electronblue02electronblue Member Posts: 22
    I have the same RX300 w/ Nav. The dealer wants around $250 for an updated Nav DVD. I presume that they'll want even more to install.

I've periodically seen updated DVD's on ebay. Check there. It doesn't appear to be that hard to install.

Let me know...I may want one, too!
    If you have wheel or tire service on your RX, assure that the McGard lock nuts are installed by hand only using a lug wrench or ratchet. I recently noted a problem after having my tires rotated at BJ's. An overzealous employee had tightened one using an impact wrench to the point that the key and nut were so distorted that the nut could no longer be removed. Fortunately, my mechanic was able to remove the damaged nut by other means. Cost me $25.48 in parts to replace the nut and key! Observe the warning notice:
    Impact guns usually cannot be set and/or maintain proper pressure to obtain proper installation torque and should not be used for lock installation. Use of impact guns (pneumatic, electric, etc.) for installation may cause overtightening and permanent damage to lock and key.

When I first got my RX and made a small label and applied it to the lock 'Do not use impact wrench". Now I just have to hope that they read it.
  • teegeeteegee Member Posts: 2
    Ditto…Any update??? My RX has 86k on it. I am the 2nd owner. I bought it in 2003 at 42k. In the last few weeks on four separate occasions I have had a problem when the car is started (cold or not) and it is in park, I press on the break and push the button on the stick to release from Park to Reverse. The gear shifts into Reverse and the car rolls, like it is going to go into Reverse and then stops, and it won&#146;t go into Reverse, even with some pressure on the gas. It takes about five minutes, going back and forth between Park and Reverse before it finally goes into Reverse. I have not had this issue in any other gear. I have just taken it to the Lexus dealer to have them look at the problem. After having the car for 3 days and not being able to replicate the issue, they were able to discern this morning that it is a problem with the transmission and it will need to be replaced. They are telling me that it is out of warranty at 70k but are willing to help with ½ the parts cost, bring my totally cost to just under $3k. My question, is does this sound like a whole transmission issue, I am I really in for a new transmission? Also, how long can I go (approximately) before it goes out? I just can&#146;t fathom dropping $3k on a car that is only 5 years old. Please advise if anyone knows anything.
  • teegeeteegee Member Posts: 2
    Can you offer any advice:

My RX has 86k on it. I am the 2nd owner. I bought it in 2003 at 42k. In the last few weeks on four separate occasions I have had a problem when the car is started (cold or not) and it is in park, I press on the break and push the button on the stick to release from Park to Reverse. The gear shifts into Reverse and the car rolls, like it is going to go into Reverse and then stops, and it won&#146;t go into Reverse, even with some pressure on the gas. It takes about five minutes, going back and forth between Park and Reverse before it finally goes into Reverse. I have not had this issue in any other gear. I have just taken it to the Lexus dealer to have them look at the problem. After having the car for 3 days and not being able to replicate the issue, they were able to discern this morning that it is a problem with the transmission and it will need to be replaced. They are telling me that it is out of warranty at 70k but are willing to help with ½ the parts cost, bring my totally cost to just under $3k. My question, is does this sound like a whole transmission issue, I am I really in for a new transmission? Also, how long can I go (approximately) before it goes out? I just can&#146;t fathom dropping $3k on a car that is only 5 years old. Please advise you know anything.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Were I in your shoes I would find a way to apply the full 12 volt battery voltage to the pressure regulating solenoid inside the transmission. If that solved the problem then have the solenoid replaced.

That being said I am quite sure there is a design flaw with the RX300 transaxle operation, or at least the 2001 and on ones. ATF that, according to the factory, should never need replacing is becoming dark and smelling burnt at about 40k miles. Truth be known I'm guessing that the transaxle shift hesitation delay in the RX330's that many seem to be experiencing is the "fix" for premature failures in our transaxles.
  • stevetdavstevetdav Member Posts: 1
    A valet parking attendent pulled my Lexus RX300 key out in the Aux position. I can get it back in, but I can not turn it. Had to get the car towed to Dealer. Wonder what it will cost to fix. Steve
  • thissideupthissideup Member Posts: 1
    1999 just purchased last month and in the morning,,,it stays in second gear for to long...but shifts out smoothly at about 3000rpm and never does it again all day...any thing abnormal about that?? it has 64k..also i have oil leak under the front cam shaft not the valve cover gasket,,,i have checked and tightened that...but its so hard to get the plastic belt cover off..i cant see where it is...but it s under the black cover...
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    They all do this. It has something to do with the emissions control system.
    Common problem but you are not going to like the solution. The dealer replaces the ignition lock plus all the door locks and you also get all new keys, about $1200
    The D light in the dash went out tonight. When I put in any gear, I have light in each selection, but not in D. Does anyone know how easy or difficult it is to replace it. Is the instrument cluster accessible once i get the black cover with two screws out?

I have done IP bulb change before. Without shop manual, I would like to be sure about what I am doing.

Thanks,
    Joe
    See message #8126 for procedure.
    Thanks Mike. Between your instruction and other members' lessons learned, I should be able to replace the bulb.
    Do you know the bulb part# ? While I am at it, I will replace the Park bulb also, since these two are the mostly used bulbs.

Joe
    I don't know the part # but just tell your Lexus parts guy you want the "D" indicator bulb. I am sure he goes through a lot of them. I heard Lexus is the only source for them and they cost around $12. If you want to try online try newlexusparts.com or irontoad.com. Neither one of them list the bulb but you can request a quote online or just call them. If you get any info post it for the rest of us.
    Mike
    Try a Toyota dealer, I think the same bulb is used on the Highlander, and it will most likely be less expensive. P/N 8311924690.

Thats the Lexus part number. I have never had any luck trying to give a Lexus part number to the Toyota parts dept. You would think they would have some kind of cross reference but it's almost like they are 2 different companies. If you pull the old bulb first, you could ask for the bulb for the Highlander and see if the 2 bulbs match while you are at the parts counter. I also found the Lexus one, using the part # above, at newlexusparts.com for $4.
  • designladydesignlady Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 300RX at 106k starts runs for a second or two and then dies. It will do this 5 or 6 times, until I give it gas. This happens when the car is cold. After it is warm, it start with no problem.
    Your Idle Air Control Valve needs to be cleaned or replaced. The dealer charges 300 to 400 to replace it. A do it yourselfer or a good Toyata mechanic would most likely clean it and save some $. The Lexus dealer just replaces it.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    First you might try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes so the engine ECU must relearn the proper duty cycle, PWM, for the idle air bypass solenoid to maintain the proper fuel/air mixture ratio at idle speed.

In any case if you clean the idle air bypass valve and orifices you will need to disconnect the battery to force the relearning procedure.
  • duane3duane3 Member Posts: 7
    I cleaned my mass air flow sensor and had no problem for two months, then my check engine light came on again, this time I cleaned the MAF again and it lasted two weeks, the third time it only lasted one day, so I'm thinking it must be bad now. I went to Auto-Zone to see about the part and they loaned me a scanner to verify the problem. It came up with a code P0171 and their computer said that code was O2 sensors, bank one - the front ones - at $209 each. The AutoZone guy said these should really be replaced every 50,000 miles anyway. The question I have now is that code P0171 is the exact same code that the Lexus dealer came up with and they said it was the mass airflow sensor. How do I know what to do here???

Thanks,
    P0171 is almost always the mass air flow sensor. I would go with what the Lexus dealer is telling you. You can get a new mass air flow sensor at newlexusparts.com for $118. Usually it just requires a cleaning, but I guess you have already been there.
  • duane3duane3 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for your quick response Mike. I was leaning that way, but I needed a push. I just ordered the part from newlexusparts.com. That is by far the lowest price I've seen!!

With my car crossing over 60,000 miles and my dislike for the dealer service departments I've dealt with here in the LA area, I'm sure I'll be back here for more advice in the future. This site is a great find!!!
    Be sure and let us know if the new MAF fixes your problem.
  • wrahnwrahn Member Posts: 45
    I'm trading my 2003 RX-300 FWD in for a new 2005 RX-330 and my average MPG over the 29,000 miles is 21.7 MPG.

Wes
  • mx6chicagomx6chicago Member Posts: 1
    The leather seat cover of my 2000 driver side got more and more cracks. :( The dealer wants $500+ :(:(:( but, fortunately I found one from fleebay at one tenth of the cost and it simply looks new :P .
    Here is the problem: any one has a step by step instruction about how to replace it(expecially the bottom cousion cover)?Any information is highly appreciated!!!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There used to be a link or two in the Aftermarket Heated Seats discussion for kits that had on-line instructions. That might give some clues if any of the links still work.

Steve, Host
  • I have a 2002 RX. The VSC and Check Engine Light came on at the same time. Only place I found this situation mentioned on the net was a post by ladydi3 in this forum. No fix given. Anyone have this happen? Transmission fluid was flushed a month ago.

Thanks in advance.
    If you just had your RX serviced, they most likely knocked off the rubber hose behind the air filter box when they checked the air filter. This will cause both lights. If that&#146;s not it check for all the obvious lose hoses, lose gas cap etc. You can reset the lights by pulling the efi fuse or disconnecting the battery negative for a few minutes. If you still have the problem you will need to get the code read. Most AutoZone&#146;s will do it for free. Do a search here on "check engine light" for a lot more info.
  • mikey00

You were exactly right. I checked the area behind the air filter a little after I did the post. I had seen something not look right after I got the RX home from service. I always check over my vehicles after any service. But didn't have my glasses on , so I let it slide. The day after that was when the lights came on. The air filter was replaced during the service. This time I put my glasses on and saw the hose you are talking about. Hooked it back up, but the lights stayed on. Thought that maybe the computer needed reset to clear the codes, so I disconnected the battery for 15 minutes. Everything is fine now, and it was nice to not have to reset the radio stations. I thought I would lose that programming after disconnecting the battery. Thanks for the quick advice.
  • arislookarislook Member Posts: 1
    i Buy A Car From Japan Rx 300 /99 .i Would Like To Know What Is The Cruise Information That Is On The Panel near where there is the temperature shown And How Does It Work .because Is Readen In Japanese. :Rx 300 /99