Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• Options
    pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    From 1999 Lexus Owner's Manual:
    The following information is shown with the ignition switched "ON":

Driving time
    Average vehicle speed
    Average fuel consumption
    Momentary fuel consumption

The displayed values in the cruise information display indicate the general driving condition, so those may not show precise and actual condition.

To change the mode, push the "INFO" button briefly on the audio control panel.

When the ignition switch is turned to "ON", the mode displayed just before the ignition switch is turned off will appear.

Pete :)
  • Options
    fwtfwt Member Posts: 1
    We just had to get a new transmission in our 2000 lexus RX 300 about a month ago. It is just over 100,000 miles. Few days later after the transmission was fixed the check engine light came on. took it back, they said it was the gas cap. They fixed it. Now about three weeks later the check engine light is on again. Unplugged the battery. Went of for a few days and now back on. We had our transmission checked just in case while under warranty, they ran an emissions test and three codes came up?

P0440 (EVAP Control System Malfunction)
    P0441 ( EVAP Control System Improper Purge Flow)
    P0446 ( EVAP Control System Vent Control Malfunction)

Are these still because of the gas cap? Or is this the O2 sensors that I have been reading about?
    Not sure whats going on or what I should do. Any suggestions?

Nadine
  • Options
    duane3duane3 Member Posts: 7
    Mike,

I just passed day 10 with the new MAF and NO Check Engine Light!!! I'm feeling like this has fixed the problem. newlexusparts.com is great - $118, no tax or shipping, it was here in 4 days (I opted for UPS ground shipping).

Thanks again for your help

Duane
  • Options
    pkanepkane Member Posts: 1
    We have a 1999 Lexus RX300 and the Check Engine Light just came on. Is there a way to read the codes or whatever or just replace the O2 Sensor. Where can I go to read upon how to do this myself.

Thanks

Pete
  • Options
    golferbob37golferbob37 Member Posts: 5
    My '99 RX has about 135K on it, and I've been having vibration problems at freeway speeds (70+ MPH). Problem started at about 75K, had the Michelin XC's balanced a couple of times, to no avail. Replaced the Michelins with General Ameritrac SUV's about 10K ago (very poor decision to put these on: despite Consumer Reports recommendation, they are hard, and noisy. I wish I'd bought the more expensive Michelins), and have had the tires rotated/balanced three times since, with no significant change. I take the car to a Toyota dealer for service, since they're way cheaper than the Lexus folks, and they have been over the front end with a fine tooth comb (or so they tell me), and insist it's the tires. The last trick was to do a "road force balance," whatever that is, and it did seem to reduce the intensity somewhat. Have had the brakes checked, rotors turned, et. al. Anybody got any ideas? The car has been great for us, although the 19.8 MPG average is getting a little expensive these days.
  • Options
    bassetbobbassetbob Member Posts: 21
    Hi Gang I'm new in this town. I just traded a 04 Corolla for a 2000 RX300 with 90K on the clock. I've only driven Toyota products and I've had very good luck with no major problems. The lexus is mint inside and out (except for the pesky "D" indicator light). The only problem is I couldn't even get an extented service contract because of the high mileage, at least from Toyota. They do offer one but it was only for 1 year or 12000 miles and they wanted $1500 for that. So if I have as good as luck as I did with my other Toyota vehicles I should be OK. So if anybody knows of any service problems I should know about please let me know. Thanks and to all a good nite.http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/townhall/webxicons/emoto- rcons/emo_shades.gif
  • Options
    Welcome! The first and foremost thing to check: has the timing belt been replaced? If not, plan to do so within the next 10K miles. If you take it to a Lexus dealer, they'll probably also change out the water pump, and your total bill will exceed $1100. If you take it to a Toyota dealer, they'll do just the belt for about $500. My Toyota service guy told me that the water pumps were good for "at least 200,000 miles," so don't go for the Lexus dealer pitch that they'll do that "while we're in there."

Good luck!
  • Options
    santacruz1santacruz1 Member Posts: 11
    Just do the regular fluid changes like oil (use sythetic oil) transmission oil, coolent...And if you have a problem or service, take it to a Toyota dealer instead of Lexus. RX300 is the only car that Toyota has a twin model for - Highlander. You will save at least 40% of any service cost. You already mentioned the D light which is a common failure, the other potential failure is the suspension strut mounts that will make a clunking noise. It is not serious if not fixed right away. There are other problems reported on this forum about engine gelling and transmission failure but they are hard to proof whether it's a product defect or owner's neglect. I have a 99 and still going strong. Good Luck.
  • Options
    The saleman who sold me the RX300 is going to contact the previous owner (only one) to get a low down on the service history hopefully the timing belt was changed. the person who had it before me took real good care of it all new toyota belts and hoses and even a new toyota battery. I will have all the maintenence done at the toyota dealership down the street mainly due to the because nearest lexus dealer is 60 miles away. It's quite a jump from a corolla to a lexus and I'm really going to enjoy it even though I can't afford the gas to drive it ($3.88 a gallon). Regards To All
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If the previous owner had it serviced at a Lexus (or Toyota) dealership, the service manager should have access to the service history on the computer system. Maybe you can get it via phone call so you don't have to drive that 60 miles to the Lexus dealer.

What part of the country are you in that you are having to pay $3.88 a gallon?

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Hi Steve, I'm about 80 miles north of NYC. FYI by some stroke of luck my "D" light came on????? I ordered a few parts from "toad", a rear bumper protector, cabin air filter and a bug guard for the front, which looks like it's had its share of bug hits. But so far it seems to be a real fun vehicle. Take Good Care.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I have cousins up near Newburgh; didn't realize gas was so nuts up there.

Here's hoping the D stays lit!

Steve, Host
  • Options
    btleebtlee Member Posts: 1
    I don't see any reply on your mail.

dmanif,

Have you resolved this issue?

I'm having this problem after long vacation. After the vacation, the battery was out of charge. It took several days to fully charge up with regular usage to commute.

From a few days ago the engine does not start at all for a few times - even no clicking.
    It takes a few seconds to a minute to make the engine start.

Has anyone see this problem and have resolution?
  • Options
    bwong06bwong06 Member Posts: 43
    I guess my Silversport didnt come with HID. I thought it would be standard, anyways, how much would it cost to install the kit?
  • Options
    erik_herik_h Member Posts: 77
    Keep trying with the dealer. My '99 did that up until recently. I put Michelin XC's on it a few years ago to replace the junk GY's (both had the vibration issue). I had it in a few times to the dealer and the Road force balance helped but did not fix it. The vehicle is fine till around 70 then it starts to vibrate, sometimes on smooth roads it was tolerable, but it got annoying on long trips. I had it in again recently, not sure if it was fixed when I picked up the vehicle, but it is fixed now. All the dealer said on the last visit was that I had "truck" tires on it and I should put more car like tires on it. I wish I knew exactly what fixed the issue, but it went away. Maybe the tires got rotated or something during the state inspection ? Now it rides at 80 with no vibration.

By the way there are other mentions of the road force balance in edmunds, you need some special machine (Hunter 9700). It just balances the tire with a load on it simulating what the weight of vehicle would do to the tire. Mine discovered that the tire place had put the tire on in a bad spot. The heavy point on the tire and the heavy point on the rim were lined up and this caused some of the issue. They remounted the bad tire 180 degrees from where it was and rebalanced.
  • Options
    george112george112 Member Posts: 1
    Can somebody let me know how I change or clean the airflow sensor as well as how I change the light bulb for the D that has burned out?
    Thank you very much. This is a great site.
    George
  • Options
    mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    Type in AIR FLOW and you will get some information from posts I my self have done it and if I can anyone can... Good Luck
  • Options
    I will be taking my 1999 RX300 FWD to a local Toyota dealer for the 90K service in the near future. I anticipate having the following work performed:

replace timing belt
    replace drive belt(s)
    replace engine oil & filter
    replace coolant
    replace brake fluid
    replace transmission fluid
    inspect A/C system, ball joints, chassis & body, brake system, fuel system, steering linkage
    check differential fluid
    road test

These items were taken from The Edmunds Maintenance Guide, my Owner's Manual and postings found on this forum. I have recently replaced the air and cabin filters and rotated the tires. Anything else I should consider? I believe someone here had suggested replacing the water pump at this interval, would this be advisable? Many thanks.

Pete
    :confuse:
  • Options
    mikey00mikey00 Member Posts: 462
    I will be having the same done at the Toyota dealer to my 01 RX in a few months when I reach 90K. I plan on skipping the water pump, as it is not a maintenance item and rarely fails on the Toyota V6. I also plan on having them use Toyota Ultra Long Life Pink to replace the Toyota Long Life Red coolant. It will be good for 100k instead of the usual 30K. Be sure and post when you get a quote for this work.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Keep in mind that many of these items are routine and do not require any level of skill to perform, McD flipper graduates are the typical help, meaning you should expect and be prepared to check over the vehicle VERY thoroughly, all the drain plugs re-installed, etc, before you drive it off the service lot.

I would NEVER allow my brake fluid be "touched" absent a repair requirment.
  • Options
    avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    Just dropped off my '99 RX at Toyota for the 120,000 mile service. I'm doing the timing belt for the first time. Got a quote from Toyota of $999 (ended up at $899 after 10% off coupon) for this which was going to cost $1500 at Lexus. Got a Camry loaner and a car wash. Also, decided to replace the water pump for another $275. It was a gamble but I figured with new belts, changed tension, and 120,000 miles it was worth doing since it was supposedly going to cost over $600 if done by itself.
  • Options
    02electronblue02electronblue Member Posts: 22
    I think I reported this previously on my 01 AWD, but here goes:

I had the Toyota Dealer in Sacramento (Florin Road) replace the timing belt, the accessory drive belt, oil/filter, and drain and fill the transmission, all for $322. This was in December or January.

So $1000 for a 120K service @ a Toyota dealer still sounds like too much.

I will be taking it there Saturday for new brake pads. I'm hoping they're cheap! Can anyone comment on front brake pad/rotor resurfacing costs?
  • Options
    Very helpful. Thanks!!
  • Options
    ebee3ebee3 Member Posts: 1
    I also don't like the center console. Does anyone out there know if something better is available to replace the console? Has anyone replaced their console. I would love to hear suggestions.
  • Options
    radiocontrolradiocontrol Member Posts: 1
    Looking to buy a used rx
    what is a good year for the 300? this will be first lexus.

Do I ask my insurance what my rates will be before even buying?

also how's the financing at lexus on pre certified?

thanks love the rx 300..
  • Options
    cmcewen2cmcewen2 Member Posts: 3
    I have white smoke coming out of the exhaust when the car starts after sitting for 3 hours or more - I just took it to the dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. What are the signs of a sludged engine and how do you get the dealer to repair it?
  • Options
    scoti1scoti1 Member Posts: 676
    It could be a sludged engine. Has your check engine light come on? What does your oil look like on the dipstick? If it is sludge, sometimes you can see thick clumps of oil on the dipstick. Also, check your oil frequently. When you have sludge, it will look like you are rapidly losing oil but actually it is just collecting in the bottom of the oil pan and not circulating.
  • Options
    While smoke more typcially means water is getting into the combustion chamber.

Easy test is to accelerate up to a goodly speed, release the ags pedal and downshift for good compression braking. High engine RPM but with the throttle closed will create a high vacuum in the intake manifold and if the head gasket has failed the vacuum will pull LOTS of water into a very HOT combustion chambers....STEAM out the exhaust.
  • Options
    bwong06bwong06 Member Posts: 43
    I am hearing something behind the center console. It sounds like a tape trying to play, or maybe a CD this is constantly skipping. But I dont use cassettes and i toke the CD cartriage out and turned off the air conditioning, but there is still noice! Can someone help!
  • Options
    I have the same noises on my '99. I thought it was the cd player but I turned it off and took out the cartridge and it continued. I took it into one Lexus dealer and a service guy said it had something to do with the airbag. That worried me and I mentioned it to a tech at another Lexus dealer. He said nothing with the airbag moves and he thought it was something to do with a motor connected to the ventilation system. Said he couldn't say how much it would cost to fix because they would have to test as they went. It would cost at least $300 just to take apart the dash. So I have lived with it for 8 months or so. Sometimes it gets better and sometimes it is worse but the ventilation system seems to be working fine.
  • Options
    Hi Ya'all, I didn't realize when I bought my "00" RX300 a month ago that both front side marker lights didn't light, I figured an easy fix, new bulbs right WRONG!!! I accessed the bulbs through the wheel well shrouds but found that the both sockets were burned to a crisp. I'm a little confused on why the fuse didn't blow because all the other lights on the same circuit seem to be ok??? I'll have to splice on new sockets if I can find them with the wires attached. My local Toyota dealer will not order Lexus parts unless he has an part number. So if any of you have had the same problem or know the part number please fill me in, In the mean time I'll browse the internet. Regards to all
  • Options
    marys236marys236 Member Posts: 90
    I have a 00 RX with 82k miles. I had my oil changed at the Firestone place yesterday, and they told me the tranny case is leaking oil, and I need to have it checked. Before I take it to the dealer, I wanted to get some idea of what I'm dealing with here. Anyone know what could cause that and how bad it is? Any guesses on repair cost?
  • Options
    My front driverside marker bulb kept burning out on my '99. This year the dealer did he inspection and they found the wires had shorted and needed to be rewired. I think it was just under 100 for the inspection and the rewiring.
  • Options
    unplugs from the wiring socket. Dealers carry new bulb sockets.

Use amber LEDs from superbrightleds.com and the problem won't repeat. Too much heat from the bulb overheats the socket/contacts, overheated contacts self-heat due to high electrical resistance as a result of unspringing.
  • Options
    Thanx for the reply, The sockets are burned along with the bulb holder that plugs into the socket the wires were even burned, That why I need the whole socket assembly with the wires attached. Take Care.
  • Options
    cmcewen2cmcewen2 Member Posts: 3
    I took it to the lexus dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong - after sitting for a few days there is lots and lots of smoke with a burning smell. After sitting for a short time, there is very little smoke. I am taking it back to the dealer. Any advice??
    I'm not sure how to downshift with an automatic transmission.
  • Options
    Ask your local locksmith to get you a DAP-Key™. This is a greatly improved reinforced design made of ABS plastic material that is extremely pliable and durable and a fraction of the price of dealer keys. The fastener is thicker black oxide stainless steel and bonding of the conical shape of the fastener to the housing is an improvement that increases overall strength. This replacement is thicker and solid in design and will accommodate the three button transmitter sub-assembly module from the original key. DAP P/N for 1999-2003 RX300 is DAP-S10 and for 2004-2005 DAP-M10. The manufacturer, Keystone Access, offers a free locater service to assist consumers in finding the closest participating locksmith, telephone:
    800-860-KEYS

• Options
    Here's the skinny on the service performed on my 99 RX300 earlier today. Replaced:

timing belt
    water pump
    drive belt
    oil & filter
    coolant
    brake fluid
    cam shaft seals
    transmission fluid

Also inspect A/C system, ball joints, chassis & body, brake system, fuel system, steering linkage, check differential fluid, road test.

Parts $309.59, labor $759.07, total $1,068.66. This was done at a Lexus dealer. I also received a quote from a Toyota shop but surprisingly they were only slightly less. I opted for Lexus because they provided a free 2005 RX330 loaner and completed the work in one day. Toyota did not offer a loaner and estimated two days to complete the work. I replaced the air and cabin filters and windshield wipers myself and will have the tires rotated for free at BJ's where they were purchased.

• Options
    Had all the same done at 120K plus plugs. It was $1100 at a SF Bay Area Toyota dealer with a loaner car. Two Lexus dealers quoted $1500. However, at the suggestion of another poster I checked a Sacramento Toyota dealer and their quote was $575 w/ a loaner!!! Worth a trip to visit some Sacramento museums for $600.
  • Options
    kthankthan Member Posts: 30
    I know the title seems to be little weird because these are totally different two cars. But, given the situation below, I have to choose one over the other.

Now I am faced with a tough decision for my new car. I currently have 2000 Camry LE V6 and want to change the car because this car had really poor city mpg (only 12 mpg... but still very good at highway... 27mpg as promised). I originally looked for 06 Camry SE 4 cylinder (because of gas). While I am searching the car, my friend suggested me to buy his wife's 2000 RX300 AWD (with only 20000 miles) with limited option package (as far as I found, they have all the options except Nakamichi Audio and VSC..original MSRP is $40200. I belive Traction control is standard..right?). Right Now, I am actually driving RX300 because my friend and his family was out of country for four month and asked me to take care of the car.

My driving impression on RX300: nice, quiet, and smooth ride, luxurious feel with all the bang and whistles, versatile as SUV and AWD, and it is Lexus!

I found some cons/doubts on the car, though: As many pointed out, big turning radius, little too soft brake (I need more power to brake... maybe it is just a matter of adjustment specific on this car), tranny shift not as smooth as Camry I had...(maybe it seems to be related to the car owner... my friend's wife mostly drive at a city and quite slowly...may need another break-in?), and, as known, gas mileage (the panel shows lifetime mpg so far was 13.9... but according to her, she got about 18mpg in a city). My friend offered me a KBB private party price ($20000-$21000, depending on either excellent or good).

Considering purchase costs, RX300 would be cheaper about $2500-$3000, but I would need extended warranty (about $1000? please give me any info) since I heard some had tyranny problem with this model. Plus, I need to spend more gas.
    I am driving 70% city/30% highway. If I can get 20 mpg in Camry (compared to 15mpg with this car), assuming 12000 mile/year with $3/gallon), I need to spend about $600 more per year. Also, RX300 will have more maintenance cost (I am worried, but I don't know how much) But, instead, I will get all the benefits RX300 had (SUV, AWD..great for snow/rain here in Chicago, luxury & convenience..etc). Also, I would have more davaluaion on a new camry than RX300, if I plan to use either car for about 3year/36000 miles.

Other than cost/benefit shown I do know this is very personal decision. What I want to ask here is how about the above RX300 in terms of reliability, performance and resale value? Would this car okay if I got extended warranty and tried to adjust some areas I mentioned above (i.e., brake adjust...possible? or, I have to get used to.. and brake-in for smoother tranny and faster accelation)? I was quite surprised at the resale value (dramatic decrease from $40000 to $20000 in five years with only 20000 miles). I am little worried about this too (after 2-3 years with around 50000 mile.. can I sell it around $16k?).

I am so sorry for this long post. But, I really need your opinions/comments for my next vehicle. I truly appreciate all of your valuable inputs.
  • Options
    Given your scenario above, I'd go for the Camry. I love my 99 rx, but you are more likely to incur an expensive repair on the older vehicle. The 2 share a few components, but you get a 5sp auto on the camry and better gas milage. You can extend the warranty on the camry pretty cheap. If you don't need the extra space in back, the AWD or the extra features in the Lexus, and the dealer service isn't a big deal, go for the Camry.

Something must be wrong with your old camry, 12MPG is awfully low. My '99 RX gets better than that on frequent short (1-3 mile) trips.
  • Options
    Thank you for your reply.

How much does it cost for extended warranty (either 7yr or 10 yr)?
    Also, how much more expensive in maintenance (brake pads, tune up, if needed, tire, battery, fluide & filters, etc.)? Would I expect a lot up to around 50000 miles?

I sometimes need extra space and AWD. I might go with RX300 if I can minimize the maintenance/repair and the resale value didn't decrease dramatically in next 2-3 years with average 10000-12000 miles per year.
  • Options
    You need to be sure, certain sure, the potential for incurring the engine hesitation problem concerning any Toyota or Lexus V6/5-speed transaxle (FWD, AWD)vehicle has been fixed before considering any purchase of that type.

The 2000 AWD RX300 does not have Trac nor VSC, Trac was standard only on the FWD for that year. But the good news is that the premature transaxle failures seem to occur in the range of 70,000 miles and up. My 2001 AWD RX300's ATF was burned and brownish colored at 40,000 miles which indicates that something it wrong.

Additionally I have begun to suspect that Lexus is fully aware of the problem and cause of the transaxle's premature failures and has a "secret" warranty in place for those that encounter the problem and the wheel sqeaks loud enough.
  • Options
    How about I4 (not V6) 5-speed transaxle? Still are they subject to engine hesitation problem?

How much would be the extended warranty for RX300?
  • Options
    I would think it would be tough getting a good warranty at a good price on a 2000 vehicle. You could have added it while under bumper to bumper for a little over a grand, but after the bumper to bumper warranty has expired, its more expensive to add one and there are ususally more limitations. I'm not sure I'd go near warranty gold after their fiasco a few years ago. Warranty by net doesn't do vehicles like that anymore. I'm sure there is a thread on edmunds for other warranty companies.

The only major issue I've had was a premature transmission failure around 56K Miles. It was coverend under the original warranty. A few minor issues, I did the brakes a few years ago, overall its been a great vehicle from ownership costs.

The AWD works well, but the pre 2001models have the smaller gas tank, no zeon headlighs, and no VSC (keeps the back from kicking out on slick roads). There was something weird with the heated seats (one control for both or something) so I didn't get them. I added my heated seats aftermarket to get around that.
  • Options
    glenfordglenford Member Posts: 138
    I have a 2000 RX300 AWD, that I bought with 39K miles a few years ago and now have 70K+ - no problems (knock on wood). It is nice, and loaded, but I prefer the handling of a sedan, and may be switching to an IS250 AWD when they come out.
    The only seat heater thing I can think of is that they are not variable temps - definitely 2 switches. They work well.

If you are comparing Camry to RX because you like Toyota brand reliability, but want better gas mileage, would you consider a Corolla ? They are nicer than they used to be. It seems like an odd "final two" since they are so different.

My life-to-date mileage is right at 19mpg - most of my travel is light traffic moderately short distances (10-20 miles), with some distnace driving thrown in.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I'm sure there is a thread on edmunds for other warranty companies.

Here's a good general discussion you may be interested in: Extended Warranties

Also, BTW, it's xenon! :)

tidester, host
  • Options
    mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    My wifes's 200 RX 300 ( 55 K) gets 17-18 in town and 19-20 on the highway I drive it at times and it is a joy in the summer and the winter in the snow. The heated seats work just fine and they do have separate buttons. For the savings on the price I would get the warranty (Just for peace of mind). Her last toyota 1990 4runnner we had for over 200,000 miles without any major problems. On the traction not sure if it is traction control but there is the switch that says TRAC next to the shifter. After driving her AWD RX I sold my very loved 2000accord and bought a AWD Subaru for the winter AND summer traction. At that price $20,000-21,000 and those miles if it is in good shape buy it... Good Luck M/F
  • Options
    sexilexi300sexilexi300 Member Posts: 7
    I have some strange things going on with my 2001 Lexus RX-300. Before I visit lexus, I thought these problems must not be unique. The car sat, undriven for about 2 months, killing the battery. Not sure it is related, but about 100 miles afterward, the Check Engine, then TRAC, then VSC light just came on while driving. OBD II code 00174, "system too lean". I have the Lexus Factory Service Manual set, and the code describes a short-term/long term fuel trim problem. I can reset the code, and with increasing regularity it will reappear within 200 miles. With or without the code, there are times the motor seems to idle at about 1/2 speed, very smoothly but barely running while in gear, or stalling. As soon as I throttle up, the problem is gone, and reappears mostly after a trip under 10 miles.

I have checked all vaccuum and throttle body leak issues, to no avail. This machine is extrememly babied and well maintained, and I just passed 100k miles.

I own a mobile electronics chain, so I can return all kinds of databus, security, sound, or navigation interfacing information. Help please.
  • Options
    mikey00mikey00 Member Posts: 462
    I know you said you checked all vaccuum leak issues, but did you check the hose behind the air filter box directly under the brake fluid container? This one easily comes off the metal tube below it and is a common cause of CEL.