Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    I just had a light go out in the center console area. This light or these lights cover the shifter position, and the cd, tape, radio, and climate control buttons. Funny that the green light in the temperature control knob is still on. Any chance this is a fuse? If it is a bulb or bulbs any tips on how to access them? I have seen reference here to light but always assumed it was in the area of the speedometer.
  • stanfordgalstanfordgal Member Posts: 2
    I also have had the same problem with my 1999 RX300 (doors not unlocking with remote). Lexus has tried and been unable to fix it for 6 years. Your explanation of the security system shutting down when it thinks it is being broken into(due to other similar cars in the vicinity) makes perfect sense. I spoke to my local dealer and plan to take the car in - hopefully I will be able to duplicate the problem using remote keys from other cars there. Then, he is willing to take the problem back to Lexus. However, he didn't offer me much hope that it would be fixable, even if we could pinpoint the problem.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    It turns out that the light or lights aren't out on the climate controls. Just the radio, cd, tape, and down lower where the shifter is.
  • pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    My check engine light (CEL) came on yesterday and I searched for remedies here. No loose gas cap, no disconnected hose behind air cleaner but with the third possibility I hit pay dirt. Removed, cleaned and re-installed Mass Air Flow (MAF) Meter, disconnected battery for a few seconds and eureka, CEL is no longer lit! I used an aerosol product I had on hand called Kwik-Kleen contact & circuit board cleaner with an extension tube on the spray tip. 99RX FWD, 92K miles.

Pete :)
  • 57pontiac57pontiac Member Posts: 2
    The front speakers do not work. I've been told it's the radio, replaced it but they still don't work. Next suggestion is the amp. Where is it and has anyone else had this problem?
  • mikeytmikeyt Member Posts: 22
    i know you changed the radio but i have to ask about the fade knob adjustment, never heard of both front speakers going out at the same time, amp and sub are under the front pass seat, good luck
  • 57pontiac57pontiac Member Posts: 2
    Thank you very much, will give it a try. Both speakers were out when I bought the car, thought it would be rather simple to fix, but guessed wrong. Again, thanks....
  • ekayeekaye Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    My car smells like gas when I stop at a light; it has been checked for leaks 3 x by my mechanic and he can't find anything. Have a 2000 RX300 with 90,000 miles and it has been properly maintained. Anyone else out there with this problem or any thoughts about what it might be? Thanks
  • abblisaabblisa Member Posts: 2
    My husband and I went car shopping and we really like the "02 ML 320 and the 2002 or 2003 Lexus RX 300. After reading too much "bad news" about the ML 320 i decided to pursue the 02 or 03 lexus rx300, it has $37,000 miles, very clean, smells good, no tears..We are middle income family and have to unload my 03 yukonxl denali. Is the RX300 very expensive to maintain? Any surprising, outside of normal wear and tear, situations that i may find? Any and all info will be appreciated. Thanks from NC!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide will estimate what recommended services will cost in your area. Note that what the manufacturer recommends in the owners manual is likely different (less) than what a service writer at the dealer will recommend you have done.

Steve, Host
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Look into the subject of premature transaxle failures for the RX300,330 series.
    Consider service at a Toyota dealer, same parts and service, generally much less expensive. I have a 99 RX300 FWD with 93K original miles, superb vehicle, virtually no problems. Other than routine maintenance, replaced tires, wipers 2X and cam shaft seals. Also replaced timing belt, drive belts and water pump at 90K as recommended by Lexus.

• cisco2cisco2 Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of buying a 2000 Lexus RX 300 from a friend of mine. One of my concerns is the mileage on it. It has 92,000 miles. I was wondering about some of the problems that other owners have faced with the RX 300, and is the RX 300 a good SUV even with that amount of mileage?
  • erik_herik_h Member Posts: 77
    I have a '99 and other than a transmission failure at 58K (replaced under warranty) and a crack in the exhaust header, I haven't had any big issues or expense. It goes to the dealer once a year for inspection and minor maintence. I had all the big service done elsewhere since the dealer was expensive. I'd definately buy another. Buy an extended warranty if you are worried about the transmission, but that argument depends on how much you drive in a year, since its aleady covered up to 6yrs/70K miles.
  • jrdowneyjrdowney Member Posts: 96
    I'm approaching the 30k service interval on my 2003 RX. Many have suggested going to Toyota because it is cheaper. So what do you do if the two are colocated and there isn't another dealership nearby? I've considered calling and asking for both service managers to get price quotes but even there you start out with a single person that covers both!

Thanks,

Jim d.
  • rgoss80165rgoss80165 Member Posts: 1
    I KNOW THE AREA THAT THE VSC SKID CONTROL MODULE IS LOCATED,BUT NEED A PIN POINTED LOCATION, IF SOMEONE HAVE A PICTURE OF THIS LOCATION,OR CAN WALK ME THROUGH TO THE EXACT LOCATION, IT WOULD GREATLY APPERICATED.ROB
    From the 1999 Repair Manual diagram, it appears like the ABS Computer or ABS & TRAC ECU is located on the sidewall of the engine compartment, passenger side, near the firewall. There is also an ABS & TRAC Actuator, apparently located on the same side but farther forward and lower down near the headlight. The diagram is not very specific.

Pete
  • tedstrikertedstriker Member Posts: 3
    I have an 02 RX300 with 60K miles and am having problems with the Nav system. After typing in an address about two weeks ago, a window popped up on the screen stating "No disc detected"
    Ejecting and re-inserting the disc from the nav unit at the back of the car didn't have any results. Nor did unplugging and plugging the unit itself back in. I even removed the face plate to confirm that the disc was spinning and it was. The disc is not scratched or anything.
    Has this happened to anyone else? And any ideas?
    Recent "moisture" incident, heavy windshield fogging?

If so then the answer is to dry the cabin out using a heater and slightly open windows in the garage overnight.
    Thanks for your reply, but the cabin is bone dry. I have removed the unit and have had it in the house for the past few days just to make sure.

Any other tips?
    No water pooled under the spare?
    Nada.
  • sexilexi300sexilexi300 Member Posts: 7
    I knew someone would have this problem after me. I replaced my IAC. Post it if the problem returns, or persists; I am curious. The part is not cheap.
    The part I removed and cleaned was the Mass Air Flow (MAF) meter not the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve if this is what you are referring to!

• galogvigalogvi Member Posts: 41
    My wife drives a '02 RX and it has been flawless until 89K. Recommended service has been performed religiously at all recommended intervals. However, the transmission began to shudder at low speeds and became quite concerning. I read on ClubLexus that this is a common issue with all the V6 3.0L models, i.e. - sc300, es300, rx300.

I took it to my local shop for a ATF drain and refill hoping that that might resolve the issue. My mechanic mentioned that the ATF was very grayish in color. I later found out that Lexus is now recommending ATF changes at 15K interval because of this problem.

Well, unfortunately, the drain and refill didn't work. So I took it to Lexus and had the problem diagnosed rather quickly. The tech that I took a test drive with immediately confirmed that I needed a new tranny.

Fortunately, I purchased a 5yr/100K extended 3rd party warranty just in case. The disadvantage with going with a third party though is they wanted to put "their" rebuilt transmission in. Which junk yard might they have found it was a concern to me. Lexus said they would put in a Lexus rebuilt one for the difference of $700. The warranty from Lexus was also much better than from the warranty company. Guess which I went with! I guess I'm still ahead since I'm also getting a new antenna motor and they are discounting the timing belt, water pump and spark plug change recommended for the 90K service. They said since they are already getting paid by my warranty company for the tranny labor they would give me a break on the other replacements.

The best part of this is they have given me a loaner no charge for the time it takes to get my car back. It looks like it might be ready by the end of next week, so that's a loaner for 1½ weeks no charge. You can't beat that.
    The bad news is that Toyota and Lexus are well aware of the problem of premature transaxle failures in these vehicles. Based on my reading of the various postings of the out-of-warranty accomodations dealers are making for owners I suspect a "secret" warranty program is in play.

The "wheel" must squeak loudly before it gets "greased".
  • mikey00mikey00 Member Posts: 462
    I agree with wwest about a secret warranty in play. I know others have called Lexus Customer Satisfaction about out of warranty trans failures and Lexus seems to pick up 50% of the tab in most cases. I wouldn't be surprised if something official comes out soon similar to the engine gelling warranty.
    Also you mentioned they are discounting the timing, water pump, and plugs at 90K. That's great but the only one of the three required at 90K is the timing belt. I just had mine done at a Toyota dealer for $339.
  • ski5erski5er Member Posts: 1
    Just yesterday I began having the same problem as #8768 with the console light. I look forward to hearing from someone. thanks
  • calpathcalpath Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 RX300 that has been giving me a skid warning with relatively gentle turns. Started maybe a year ago and has been getting more frequent. Recently it came on even while I was going straight, and even adjusted the traction or something--made the car/steering wheel swerve a little bit. Anyone have a similar problem?
  • calpathcalpath Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 RX 300. A Lexus dealer was going to charge me $700 for the 30,000 mile service (flush radiator, oil, fluids, check belts, whatever else). I found a local mechanic who did it for about $270. Haven't tried the local Toyota dealer.
    Check and make sure your tires are all equally inflated/worn, especially the fronts.
    Done "by-the-book" the 30k service should be less than $100.
    Check out the Edmunds Maintenance Guide too.

Steve, Host
    Don't know how you can get "by the book" 30k done for less than $100 unless it's DIY or you leave out at least one of the by the book items like brake fluid change or coolant change.
  • marys236marys236 Member Posts: 90
    I have a 2000 RX with about 86,000 miles. I've never had any problems with it, then today, I was running errands, started the car, and it died immediately. I tried about 5 times, and every time it started right up, then the engine immediately died unless I kept giving it gas. I finally got going by putting it in neutral and keeping my foot on the gas, then drove it to a mechanic (not the dealer, but a local independent who works on Lexus/Toyota's, very reliable), and he couldn't find anything wrong with it. Of course, by the time I got there it had stopped stalling, and was running fine. Has anyone else had this problem, and know what causes it? The mechanic told me to just wait and see if it happened again before he started charging me for fixing things that may or may not be causing the problem.
  • mrbentwrenchmrbentwrench Member Posts: 2
    I solved this exact problem om my 2000 RX by cleaning the Idle Air Control Valve(IACV)with carburator cleaner. Not difficult to do yourself, or ask a knowledgeable mechanic to do it. I imagine the dealer would try to sell a new one, but I found that not necessary. Search IACV in the search box below and you may find more details on the procedure.
  • bwong06bwong06 Member Posts: 43
    My lexus is close to 50,000 miles now and am planning to replace the horrible GY.

That being said, I've been reading around and know the cross terrain is the best tire for the Lexus. But i live in Arizona were there is no rain, no snow, and just dry driving conditions. Is the Cross Terrain the best tire, or can i buy something cheaper with the same handling on roads and highways.
  • marys236marys236 Member Posts: 90
    Thanks, mrbentwrench, I'll give that a try.
    Since I lean more toward a nice quiet and comfortable ride my 2001 AWD RX300 is shod with "summer" Bridgestone Turanzas.
  • gsenthilgsenthil Member Posts: 154
    I live in AZ (Phx) too and have the Cross Terrains. With Costco offering a discount on the Michellins (plus free tire rotations/nitrogen) it is a no brainer to go with it. Even though rain etc is not an issue in AZ, my friend's 2002 RX with Geolanders makes a funny howling noise on freeway cruising. The Michellins were smoother and quieter.
    I agree about the Costco deal. I bought my first set of Cross Terrains 65K ago with the $60 off sale and just ordered my second set today with the same sale. Many people mistakenly believe Cross Terrains are not as quiet or as smooth riding the summer tires. I think it may be due to the association with the meaning of the name "Cross Terrain". However, if you check out ratings on tire rack you will see Cross Terrains beat out the summer tires on ride and noise comfort and also deliver a much higher tread wear rating.
  • cara6cara6 Member Posts: 9
    Hi –
    I’ve been looking at used SUV’s and just started looking at the RX300.

I saw two today from private owners, one a 2002 2wd with 73k miles, asking price is $18.5k (but I think he’ll take $18) and the second is a 1999 2wd with 114k miles- asking price $13.5k. Both owners have taken excellent care and both SUV's are in great condition.

After reading through posts here last night one of my concerns is the transaxle thing that people talked about. I asked both owners and neither have had any unusual problems at all- only standard maintenance.

I’d love any feedback on the pricing- do you think these prices sound reasonable?? (both are in Kelly Blue Book range)

I’m just a little gun shy to jump in. Also another factor is that I may need to sell the car in two years so I’m also concerned about resale value at that point.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!!
    Appraise a used car before you buy.

And you may want to ask for advice in the Real-World Trade-In Values discussion too.

Steve, Host
  • cara6cara6 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks!

It looks like the price on the 1999 is a little high.

Any other thoughts on buying with such high mileage??
  • mountfr1mountfr1 Member Posts: 9
    Hi folks, I'm tempted to buy a 2000 RX300 from a local individual (trying to convince my husband who doesn't think we need 2 SUVs int he garage). This person is selling it with 55K miles for $20,000. I average 9500 miles per year on a car. Does anyone know at how many miles I'll start to have this RX300 (if I should buy it) in the shop for repairs? And are Lexus' service gees expensive? Thansk for any advice, thoughts or comments.
    It depends on who owns the dealerships in your area, but you may be able to get the Lexus fixed more cheaply at a Toyota dealer. If all nearby Lexus and Toyota dealers are owned by the same company, then they may charge you the Lexus rate at the Toyota shop.

You can estimate future scheduled service costs with the Edmunds Maintenance Guide.

Any owners with opinions about buying a high mileage RX 300 for Cara6?

Steve, Host
  • bragargbragarg Member Posts: 1
    my 99 lexus rx 300 ventilation fan control knob will not work. it only stay in one speed ( high speed) only. i have to turn off the ventilation and open the window most of the time because fan speed is too high. this is my first lexus, but it gives me a bad impression because i can not fix it even though i am an auto mechanic.
  • glenfordglenford Member Posts: 138
    Well, I bought a 2000 RX300 with 39000 miles on it for $26000 - 3 years ago this week! I think your seller is asking for too much money. I did a quick check using Edmund's appraisal, and assuming AWD and nearly every option, 55000 miles and condition clean, prices are:

2000 Lexus RX 300 4 Dr STD 4WD Wagon
    Trade-In/Private Party/Dealer Retail
    $15,560/$17,381/$19,350

Mine has been very reliable - replaced a light bulb - can't recall anything else unexpected. I also had some exhaust system repairs, but I cracked the system driving through a huge puddle (my bad).

I get all my service done at the local Toyota dealer - generally cheaper (and 45 minutes closer - in fact I bought it there), but since the Highlander is essentially the same vehicle, they know it.

I did upsize my wheels to 17s, and like the slightly firmer ride. Gas mileage is not so good - between 19 and 20 (with AWD, and on regular fuel), but up to you if that is OK, and not outside what it should get.

If you really want it, get the price down. In my case I was still within warranty for 11000 miles, but I think yours would be too old. That should affect the price, too.

Hope this is useful. Tim
  • bwong06bwong06 Member Posts: 43
    I know this has been a small problem with the Lexus. I am just wondering if the warranty covers it. I bought the platinum extended warranty and the ducditible is 50 dollars.
    Dealer might replace it as a courtesy even if out of warranty, mine did! Otherwise, it can be a DIY job, search here for the instructions.