Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• mikey00mikey00 Member Posts: 462
    I haven't had any experience with the Alenza's but the specs look real good. There was one poster over at CL that said he went from CT's to Alenza'a and the ride was harsher. I also think the wear rating of CT's is slightly better.
  • joanziejoanzie Member Posts: 51
    Anyone have an RX300 that has had to change their batteries in the remote? I have 45,000 miles on mine. Wondering if I should go ahead and change them since the car 2001 is 5 yrs.old! Thanks, Joanzie
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    I have 135,000 on my '99 and haven't changed a battery. I have alternated between the two keys.
  • pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    I just replaced both of mine (99 RX300) to be on the safe side. To change the battery, remove the tiny screw on the key bow using a #00 jewelers' Phillips screwdriver to access and remove the module. The replacement is a 3 v. lithium coin battery: Duracell DL1616, Eveready ECR1616, Panasonic CR1616 or equivalent. I suggest a drop of anaerobic threadlocker adhesive on the screw when re-installing. A tool-removable, blue-color, medium-strength formula such as Loctite "242" or Permatex "locks nuts™" is appropriate.

Pete :)
    I am going to need new tires in the near future. They are P225/70R16. I have been seen several different tires recommended over the last couple of years in this forum. (I know there is a tire forum.) Any thoughts on the pros and cons of the following: Michelin LTX, Michelin Cross Terrains, Bridgestone Dueler Alenza, and the Nokia WR or any other suggestions. I am in the SF Bay area and drive in 7 or 8 inches of snow five or six times a year down an unplowed, one mile long road with some icy spots. But other than that just 5 months of off and on rain. I am most interested in long wear, quiet, and good traction in snow and ice in that order. I see Costco has a sale on for another few days with $60 off some Michelins although not sure which ones. Thanks in advance for the help.
    Scroll up to Msg# 8963 above and see also 8964-8970.

• jguojguo Member Posts: 49
    I just changed to Michelin LTX from the Goodyear integrity at Costco. In my opinion, the handling of the RX was much more responsive, slightly quieter, ride is about the same.

I was debating between LTX and Cross Terrains. Seems like both tires have good reviews. Cross Terrains had better wear rating, 700 vs. 500 of the LTX. In the end, I choose LTX because it's cheaper.
    Are you saying that the handling was better with the Goodyear tires? Or that the handling is better now?
  • steve3226steve3226 Member Posts: 15
    Please explain use of nitrogen. Why is it better than plain air?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There's a recent thread about it over in Tires, Tires, Tires:

sandman46, "Tires, tires, tires" #5596, 21 Jun 2006 9:47 am

It's "dry" air and may leak less. I wouldn't drive out of my way or pay anything to put it in my tires based on what I've read about it to date. The green valve caps are sort of cool. :)
  • jguojguo Member Posts: 49
    Sorry, I meant the LTX make the RX handles much better. With the Goodyear, the RX handled like a bus.
  • 02electronblue02electronblue Member Posts: 22
    The light that illuminates the gear selection on the shifter is out in my 01 RX. So, not only is my "D" light out on the dash, it's a double whammy! I bought a D light bulb a few months ago, and will install it someday soon.

But this other one...does anyone have a clue as to how I'd start to take the bottom part of the console apart to access the bulb? Thanks to all.
  • mikeytmikeyt Member Posts: 22
    remove the wood bezel first by pulling it up and out from the bottom and work your way up to the hazard light area,it uses clips to hold it in place, the rest is easy once you reveal the area
    I assume you have checked the fuse. My shifter light/lights went out as did some of the lights on the stereo/climate control panel, although not all. Turned out to be a blown fuse in the fuse box behind the storage area on the lower dash to the left of the driver's knee. Mine is a 300 so I don't know if the fuses are in the same place on a 330. Fuse went out twice within a couple of weeks but the last fuse I put in has lasted 6 months.
  • kwhkwh Member Posts: 68
    My 2000 RX300 has a new problem. When you start it up it dies immediately. Engine turns over, cranks, RPM needle falls flat and instrument guage goes black - kind of what I always called choking down in the old days.

Solution for now - keep foot on gas after the engine turns over let the car warm up for 3-4 minutes. After a few tries the car moves but RPMs are very low. After running the car a few minutes on the road it is idleing perfect again. May go a week or so and run perfect - then crank it up one morning and engine dies.

The car is due for a 90,000 mile check. Any ideas of something I should get checked. Is everybody replacing timing belt at 90,000 or waiting until later?
    Thanks for any help.
  • joanziejoanzie Member Posts: 51
    Just got back driving from New jersey to Cheyenne Wyoming which is very wide open on Route #80 and we did 95 MPH and did not even feel like we were moving my husband says this car would probably go 120 MPH. How fast have you gone in your Rx 300? Thanks Joanzie
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • mfieldsmfields Member Posts: 1
    I hab\ve the same deal RX300 2000 86,000 miles, When you start it up it dies immediately. Engine turns over, cranks, RPM needle falls flat. Any ideas?
  • la4meadla4mead Member Posts: 347
    Maybe this will help some... I've seen multiple posts in the forums for some MAF (mass air flow sensor) failures some folks have had as the most common reason for driveability problems, although I've never experienced any myself. My Service Advisor also warned about a sticky idle solenoid when they get old as a possible potential wear item where carbon deposits can develop, but again mine has been fine.

You can use the "search" function and find a wealth of tips from prior posts about these. Maybe even check the (Highlander forums for info on the 3 liter V6, too?) If you are handy at all, you can pull the MAF and clean it (and the air cleaner, etc.) and I believe the same is true with the "idle solenoid", however I don't have a shop manual.

Either should be easy to clean or replace once diagnosed.

Can you get the car running to get it to an "AutoZone" auto parts store to get the Check Engine error codes read? Or, perhaps trust a Toyota dealer, where the repairs would be a bit less expensive?

Please report back and let us know what you found out, and how it was fixed. If this doesn't help, perhaps someone else could share?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Please go to the group top level and create a discussion that fits your comments/questions or post in an existing discussion.

Lexus RX 300/330/350
  • anita4545anita4545 Member Posts: 2
    I need help with service that has been on my Lexus. I have had the Mass Air Flow Sensor and the Air Fuel Rate Sensor replaced ($800.00)because the engine light came on and Lexus dealer is telling me that my car now has a harmonic imbalance which is causing a vibration in my steering wheel and brake pedal when the car is at a stop.
    The car did not have this vibration prior to the replacement of these two sensors. One year after purchase of car, when I took car in for an oil change, Lexus dealer told me that I had the oil gel problem and they repaired my car (I never noticed anything wrong with car!!!!!) The car has been in and out of the Lexus dealer repair shop since August 22, 2006 (I've had a loaner more than my own car since then). They have supposedly tried everything to correct the problem and now inform me that the Toyota rep was at the shop last week and said this vibration was normal for my year car with 75,000 miles........I feel I am being jerked around!!!!!! Sorry for the long message but I could probably write a book about this......Any advice would be appreciated. :mad:
  • dougie2dougie2 Member Posts: 2
    I'm gonna buy an RX300. One choice is an 01 with 103K miles, and a replaced engine with 28K miles. The body appears to be in great shape. It has NAV and towing and the dealer wants $15.9K. I think it is a good deal, but the mileage worries me. Anybody have any advice? Thanks for your help.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The 2001 RX300 seems to have a propensity to overheat the ATF. Mine was smelling and looking burned after only 40,000 miles. Lexus (Lexus, not dealers) is recommending a drain and flush of the ATF every 15,000 miles even though the owners manual states that no scheduled or routine transaxle maintainance is required for teh life of the vehicle.

In retrospect I'm not sure the 2001 was ever available without the towing option as it likely needed the extra cooling for the ATF.

There are two c-best options that you might want to have a dealer reset immediately. The A/C can be disabled indefinitely by turning it off manually and the A/C can be unlinked from automatically operating in defrost/defog/demist mode.
  • dougie2dougie2 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. I neglected to mention that the new(er) engine is an '02, if that makes a difference.
    Since there is only one ECU for controlling both the engine and transaxle I would imagine that you also have an 02 transaxle...

Who did the swap, warranty repairs might be a nightmare.
  • Can you put a remote starter on an RX 300 2002 model? I was told some cars can't take them, or if they can, it is not a quality, reliable installation.

Thanks for any advice.

Ken
  • dsalcedsalce Member Posts: 4
    In the last two weeks I have been having problems with the key for my 2000 rx 300. The key would only UNLOCK the doors. I then located my spare key, which I used for the first 3 years that I owned the car, and I find that I can only LOCK the car doors with this key. The panic function however works on both keys. I went to the dealer and they put in a new battery in one of the key. when that did not solve the problem they informed me that I needed a new Key and it would cost $210. Is there any alternative to solving this problem?
  • lexydclexydc Member Posts: 2
    I am fairly new to Lexusownersclub.com web forum, but in reading thru they do have some other optionsregarding key replacements, but you might want to read them there - I have never needed to do it, so I can't say personally. Might help...
    There are lots of alternatives to the dealer which cost much less. Google RX300 key for many options. Here's one:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-2002-2003-LEXUS-RX-300-RX300-CHIP-KEY_W0QQcm- dZViewItemQQcategoryZ40016QQihZ020QQitemZ300063448615QQrdZ1
    "In retrospect I'm not sure the 2001 was ever available without the towing option as it likely needed the extra cooling for the ATF"

Interesting thought there, maybe by 01 they realized the trans needed extra cooling even when just hauling the kids around town. The towing prep package w/trans cooler shows up on my original 01 window sticker as standard equipment.
    No, I know think it is more likely that by 01 the capacity of the ATF pump had been increased to overcome the premature transaxle failures resulting from the safety related shift pattern revisions adopted in the early RX models.

A higher fixed capacity ATF pump would undoubtedly help solve the shift pattern problem but with a lot of extra ATF heating resulting.
  • petej2petej2 Member Posts: 13
    what services should i have performed for the 125K service?, thanks
  • petej2petej2 Member Posts: 13
    me too, let me know how the repair goes
    Try the Edmunds Maintenance Guide:
    Edmunds Maintenance Guide

• rmd122rmd122 Member Posts: 21
    I have an 01 RX300 and changed the cabin filter but I'm not sure which side is up. I'm also unsure if the old one was in correctly so I am asking here.

Which is the direction of the airflow:

Up from the footwell (same direction as "up" on the filter frame)?
    or
    Down from the top of the dash?
  • Does anyone know if you can install safely and with reliability a remote starter for a 2002 RX300? If so, who would be the best choice. The dealer won't install one.

Thanks,

Ken
  • pmhtvpmhtv Member Posts: 33
    Can anyone tell me if it is difficult to replace the rear tail light bulbs? One of the "red" rear tail lights (driver's side)is out.

Thanks.
    Open the tailgate which exposes a couple plastic plugs which conceal the screws that retain the taillight assembly. Remove the plugs and screws to get the taillight assembly out of the vehicle. You can then access the bulb by turning the socket counter clockwise. Hope this is clear, not a difficult repair.

• tacomaxtacomax Member Posts: 6
    I was on my way to the airport this morning. I stopped by a gas station. I don't know why, but for some reason, I grabbed a wrong pump and filled the gas tank up with Diesel. It is my wife's RX300.

Luckily it didn't go far. Thank God, I wasn't on the freeway. Anyway, it is now in a local toyota dealer. (Their service Dept is closed)

How serious is this ? Would it cost a lot to flush the system ? (local mechanics told me that it could be $500-$1000) Will it make any permanent damages to the car ?

I am kicking my butt for making such a stupid mistake. I would appreciate your input.

Thanks.
    This post may help:

pennymb, "Got a Quick, Technical Question?" #2426, 2 Feb 2006 12:38 pm

Curious what you wound up doing about it?
    I don't know if this is going to be a trend, but we'll keep track of the recent transmission thread over in this discussion for a while:

Lexus RX 300 Transmission Problems

If you've had any tranny issues (Erik?) in the past or lately, please give us a report in there. Thanks.
  • porterhillporterhill Member Posts: 1
    2003 RX300 GPS displayed No Disc Detected. Dealer stated needs new Drive at $2250 :cry: . Any repair advise, repair place San Diego/LA or exchange of unit
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    is getting weak. I wonder if it's easy to replace by myself. Years ago I replaced my Maxima hood lift and it was easy. I am not sure if RX is a bit unique.
  • stocks12stocks12 Member Posts: 3
    My 2002 RX did the same thing. Turns out that the gromit in the rear to channel the water from the roof popped out, flodded the compartment with the NAV and shorted the board out. My dealer quoted me almost $5K for a new unit. I bought one off of eBay for $750, installed it myself (very easy as I am not mechanically inclined) and it works perfectly. I did need a new disk as the software was updated. Hope this helps.
  • stocks12stocks12 Member Posts: 3
    Is it weak or getting stuck. My 2002 hatch lift sometimes gets stuck when I unlock the car causeing me to "pop it out" and hit the fob again. Are you having a similar issue?

Thanks,
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    It is weak but never got stuck. When I unlock the hatch with either fob or key, and open the hatch a little, it opens to about 70% of the full opening then stays there. I have to open the rest 30%.
  • gitmogitmo Member Posts: 23
    Hello, I'm new to the forum. I just purchased a 2000 RX 300. It has 81000 miles on it and I was wondering if I should change out the ATF and engine oil since I don't really know when they were changed last. Also, without looking under the car, how can I tell if it's 4wd or not? Probably a stupid question, but I don't know for sure, I just picked it up last night.
    Thanks for any help.
  • gitmogitmo Member Posts: 23
    hello again, I was wondering if anyone has noticed the dirty "fogging" of the headlight covers. I have a 2000 rx 300. Can the glass be removed and cleaned?
    Thanks for any help.
  • la4meadla4mead Member Posts: 347
    Yes, I would definitely have the transmission "serviced" (not "flushed") by a qualified mechanic who uses Type IV (Toyota) fluid (but definately not a corner lube stop!). This model has a history of early transmission failures, however maintainence seems to be a big preventative help. If the fluid has a dark or "burned" odor, or you do a lot of idling or low-speed driving you may consider changing at ultra-frequent intervals.

There is also a well-known oil-gelling history if the intervals are long or heat builds up as it can, so it's a good idea to have frequent engine oil change intervals to help avoid a problem.

For 4X4 you can look under the middle of the car for a drive shaft leading from the front (engine area) down the middle tunnel to the rear (differential) and then side driveshafts to drive the rear wheels. If it's front wheel (2X4) drive, that stuff won't be there, but there will be a "G" as the third character in the VIN.

If your headlights are getting cloudy (likely due to being left out in the sun/weather), don't use anything abrasive on them. I've seen products specifically to help with this, but never had to use them. Perhaps plastic polish might help if it's on the outside. If they are fogging on the inside, it's because they've gotten cracked by an impact or the seal was otherwise breached, perhaps where the bulb was replaced. :confuse: