Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• jmdndjmdnd Member Posts: 8
    When you say "bad connections". Does that just mean the battery cables on top of the battery?
    Thanks for your replies.
  • mikey00mikey00 Member Posts: 462
    A bad connection could be many different places and cause this problem, even the clock connection. But when we look at the sequence of events here, and other clock reset problems and solutions, I would say the probabilty of the battery itself or connection at the battery is like 99.999%. I suspect this battery is going to test good by anyone who tests it, even though I bet the battery is causing the clock to reset. The battery is pretty much doing its job of starting the car and most likely will pass a load test. At least your test shows that the battery is dipping below the voltage level that causes clock reset during cranking and the clock is not just resetting whils sitting idle. I do know that the RX clock is sensitive and usually starts to reset long before the battery fails to start the car but I have never heard of a new battery not fixing this problem. If you could swap batteries from another car for a test or even just use jumper cables to see the clock is not resetting during starts would prove it is the battery. Otherwise, it is going to be hard to prove it's the battery using standard tests. Or even just eat the cost of a new battery from Costco or other discounter. My Costco battery was less than $50. That's a lot cheaper than any troubleshooting the dealer will do and he will most likely end up selling you a battery in the end.
    As far as your check engine light goes, I doubt it is related to the clock issue. I have never heard of a CEL not producing a readable code. I would disconnnect the negative battery connection for a few minutes. This will reset all codes and turn the light off. If it comes back on get the code read. Most AutoZone stores will read it for free.
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    Yup. the battery cables on top of the battery. Make sure they are greased and fit tight. You can twist them on tight by using the cable to turn them on the battery lug.

For a battery test, go to Autozone and let them test it free for you.

By the way, do you have the brand/model# of the battery that is on the RX right now?
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The 2000 RX300 uses the unswitched dome light fuse/power as radio memory & clock "keep-alive" when the key is not on in the acc position.

If that fuse is blown the clock will reset and the memory will not be retained with the ignition key not in the acc position.
    Don't think this fuse has much to do with anything being that the clock holds time overnight but resets during cranking.
  • yatesvd1yatesvd1 Member Posts: 1
    I just obtained a 99 RX 300 but the CD changer had been stolen out of it. What would be the recommended replacement equipment for this vehicle?
    What fuse is it and where do I find it - to replace? I'd like to try that first...since my dome light is off also. They tried to and said that they had fixed it a year ago....but it went out again...so I've been doing without. That might be the whole problem-the fuse or a short related to it? I've never changed a fuse in my life, but if I can find it, I can do it!
    Thanks
    Open your hood. Black plastic box on far right side (facing car) is labeled fuse/relay. Open using latch on rear of top cover. Dome light fuse is a 10 a fuse clearly marked on the label on the underside of the lid. There is also a small white plastic fuse puller on the underside of this lid.
  • kdhanamkdhanam Member Posts: 1
    Every time I start my car the clock resets. This only happens when it has been idel for longer than an hour or so. In addition the ino. display gives absurd numbers on mpg and is only accurate when pressed until it shows e/t. I took it to the dealership and they said the battery was fine. This coupled with the antenna not going down all the way has left me in a quandry.

Its been reliable and is a 99 model.
    I know I am repeating myself but here goes anyway. Over the years on the various RX discussion forums the clock reset issue has come up many times. I can not recall even once where a new battery has not fixed the problem. Of course battery connections should be checked first, but I can't recall it ever fixing the reset issue. Many have had the battery test good and were reluctant to replace it but in the end it fixed the clock reset issue. In theory there are many possible causes of the clock resetting but I would put my money on the battery. You said yours resets every time you start the car so it should be easy to check. Swap the battery from your other car for a quick test. Or a RX battery from a discounter should be less than $50. Buy one, it's cheap troubleshooting compared to Lexus techs hourly rate. If your battery is a few years old, you will be needing one soon anyway, so it's not money totally wasted if it didn't fix the clock issue. Your situation is a little different in that you already had the dealership (Lexus, I assume?) check the battery and say it was ok. Lexus service should be more familiar with clock resets than I am. And you do get the absurd numbers on the info screen. What was the dealers response to your clock reset issue? I am sure he didn't just say "it's not the battery now go away."
    If it were my clock reset issue I would first verify battery connections and then move on to battery. Unless you have other issues like previous poster with dome light out. If so it might be worth resolving this issue first.
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    I am not sure if it's a bug or a feature on my 00 RX300:

When the driver's door is open, if I lock the door by pressing the door lock button on the door panel, sit in, close the door, insert the key and turn it to start the engine or just turn it to the notch before start, the door will unlock.

I typically close the door then lock them. I happened to notice the above, and every time it does that.
  • lijanellijanel Member Posts: 2
    This noise started recently and can't pin point exactly where it's coming from, front or rear to the right, but it's a constant background noise no matter if the egnine is accelerated or not. The car is almost 120K mile and is driving great otherwise. Could this be the fuel pump? Is this common with this car?

Thanks.
  • la4meadla4mead Member Posts: 347
    As we can all guess, it's kinda hard to pinpoint a noise problem on a forum and easier in person, but I'm going to take a guess...

Perhaps a vehicle speed (not engine speed) related hum could be one or more tires or perhaps a bad bearing? Make sure it's not the tranny (doesn't sound like it). When was the last time you had the tranny serviced?

I have Michelin Cross Terrain tires, which are an excellent all-around tire. But they wear fast, and when they get a little worn, they start "humming" a little more than I'd like at vehicle (not engine) speed. The sound is muted, but noise over bumps is more pronuouced than should be. Also, I run the pressure on these tires up around 40psi for better handling, economy, etc. which makes the noise more pronounced, but still within a tolerable range. I wish I could find a sportier handling tire in my size (255 65H r16, I have spacers on the rear and want to avoid changing the wheels). My major gripe with the RX300 is the benign and boring handling.
  • gitmogitmo Member Posts: 23
    Happy New Year! I haven't been around for a while but have been checking threads. My 2000 rx300 FWD, has 90,882 on the OD and runs fine. Tranny fluid changed @ evry 15000 mi. My CEL has been coming on and going off erratically for the last year or so. Every-time (three times) in the last year I've taken it to my mechanic to have code pulled the light has gone off. MAF is clean, gas cap tight, may be oxygen sensor stuff who knows.
    Also, timing belt has not yet been changed yet. What do you think a realistic window, mileage-wise, would be. Someone told me 100,000 would be fine. I don't push this car at all. Any wisdom would be appreciated. Also, again, I have some very fine swirling scratches on my windshield (I'm second owner) just on the passenger side. Any ideas for their removal?
    Thanks
  • lijanellijanel Member Posts: 2
    Someone has suggested that this may be coming from the fuel pump, which tends to wear out if the car is often run on low tank of gas. Does anyone have idea what the reasonable cost would be to have the fuel pump replaced? I am in California.

Thanks.
  • michael_8michael_8 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, Rececently purchased a low mileage 1999 RX300 in great shape, nice drive:) I would like to add a few items to the car and looking for advise. The RX came with wood dash and looks great but would like to add the same look to the center console and overhead also but can only find complete kits, any suggestions. Or, how easy is it to replace the conole with one from the 330? Also, love to have nav, any aftermarket units to replace the existng control unit in the dash or a fold away unit with radio?

Head room, anyone modified the seat or managed to get more head room out of the seats, I'm almost up against the roof and going over bumps at speed, well, I hit the roof...

Thanks in advance for a great site.
  • pdq22pdq22 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I need help with my driver side arm rest, the shear pin (?) is broke so my arm won't stay up, where do I locate a new one, and is this something I can do myself, or must I go to the local body man ?? Thank you
  • jim189jim189 Member Posts: 4
    http://www.jjproducts.net/jj_products_htm/products/Lexus_Toyota/index.html

Check this site. I got one here and installed it myself. Excellent quality and fast delivery. A little pricey but worth it. Jim
  • jim189jim189 Member Posts: 4
    My check engine light came on. Took it to a dealer. He found that the "purge valve" was disconnected from the air filter housing. The connection opening on the filter housing box was taped shut and a "resistor" was inserted across the valve control connector and taped to hold it in.

The technician figured that the car had failed an emissions inspection and the previous owner(or his friendly helper) inserted the resistor to "fool the computer into thinking that the purge valve was working" to pass inspection. BUT when he took off all the tape, removed the resistor and connected the purge valve connections properly, his computer showed that it is working as it should. The "check engine light did NOT come back on.

My question is, Other than to (illegally) disable the emissions control system(which is working fine), why would someone have inserted this resistor ??? I heard something about similar things being tried to increase engine performance??
  • tacomaxtacomax Member Posts: 6
    I replaced one of the tail lights last month. I checked and it worked fine. My wife drove the Lexus tonight and a cop told her that all 4 tail lights were not working.

My understanding is, thes bulbs work as a stop/tail light combo. Stop lights are working fine. Is it possible that tail lights are burn out while stop lights are still working ? I cannot imagine that all four bulbs go bad at the same time. Could it be a fuse ?

Please help. My wife have to take my kid to her birthday party tomorrow morning.

Thanks,

steve
  • jswolffjswolff Member Posts: 3
    My 2002 RX's front hood and grill area is getting pummeled by rock chips etc..
    Can anyone recommend a good after market deflector solution? Prefer not to do a bra.

Thanks much,

JW
    It was the battery as all of you said. With your info and a battery test at the dealership, I went back to Sam's...again. I insisted that they try another battery and that solved a problem. For two weeks, the clock has been fine!
    Thanks for your help...and for saving me $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
    JMD
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    awesome!

Did they use another model or same model#?
  • Saw a gentleman installing a clearcoat type of film over the front of cars in a Lexus show room. Barely visible and extremely clear. See your dealer.

Ken
    I forgot to ask what kind or strength it was...but the guy at Sam's said they had to put the same type in because a bigger one wouldn't fit. It works for me!!!!
    Thanks again
  • chevy769chevy769 Member Posts: 12
    My 99 has 89,700+ miles. I have a local foreign car shop do all repairs. Transmission is clean. He pulled a valve cover just before the extended warranty expired and engine shows no sign of sludge problem. I always change oil at 3,500 miles. Why wouldn't you spend 30 bucks 4 or 5 times a year on a $40k vehicle?
  • theozzfactortheozzfactor Member Posts: 23
    Today a truck guy rear-ended my RX300 2002 model (my wife was driving). Not a major impact at all but found that a small part of the bumper is chipped (probably 10 cms in diameter). Anyway the guy who rear-ended is from a big auto-dealer here and he said he will take care of this in the autodealer body shop. But later i found that the VSC and check engine lights are on. Now am not sure whether these were on always or not as I told you this vehicle is driven by my wife. Is there a chance these might be on due to the impact? Once again, the impact was very very minimal but my wife had the brakes engaged when this happened if this info helps. Any info will help. And yeh, my vehicle is due for service now.
  • I would go to your local Lexus dealership and see who they recommend for a collision center that can give you an estimate to take to your insurance company. I would not let the guys dealership do the repair. That could be asking for trouble if there are other problems with the vehicle. I assume you have contacted your insurance company.

Ken
  • pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    I had the rear bumper on my 1999 RX refinished twice. Lexus shop wanted $600, had it done at an independent shop that I trust for $300 each time. I'd definitely have your Lexus dealer check out those other two problems and stay away from the "big auto dealer". My 2¢.

Pete :)
    Thanks for the response. Well, the auto-delaer whose truck hit my car, is taking care of the refinishing part. The quote he gave me is for $566, ofcourse am not going to pay. I also asked them to check the VSC and check engine lights, but he said he can check and if they find out its not because of the impact, then I have to pay $90 for the hooking-up charges. So, am still thinking whether I should ask them to check or take the vehicle to my friend, who is also an auto-mechanic dealing with imported cars, and see whether he can hook-up and find the error code(s). Will keep you all updated. Btw, my vehicle is due for service. If I leave it for service, will the service technicians check the error code and not charge me for that? Am talking abt Lexus service center.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    You are making a misatke. One of the first things you should do with a collision of this type is obtain the other party's insurance source, agents name. Then file a claim with the insurance company and they will act pretty much independently to assure your car is fixed properly and completely.
  • glenfordglenford Member Posts: 138
    I slightly disagree. Yes, get the insurance company info. Then you want to understand the extent of the damage. Then decide how to act with your insurance company. Some companies (including mine) reduce your "safe driver" discount even if all you do is have them get involved, without making a claim. The long-term premium impact of that is more than you might recover in insurance if your deductible is $500 or $1000.

Get the code checked by an independent party, even if it costs you $90. If the code is related to the accident, bill the party who hit you. Expect an argument about it. Solve (in my opinion) the biggest risk - that the damage is more than you thought, and potentially expensive or damaging to the life of the vehicle.

Then worry about $90 and your insurance company, and the right way to go forward.

Just another view. Good luck.
  • I agree with wwest, and stay with my original post. I just assumed you already notified your agent and the other party's agent. If you already haven't committed to the auto dealer-----don't. Let Lexus or your friend handle the error codes after a collision center recommended by the Lexus dealer checks out the crash damage. Lexus may even look the car over to see if the VSC and Check Engine lights are related to the accident. Whatever is accident related should be paid for by the other parties agent. He may not want his agent involved for some reason. If you already have notified both agents, sorry for jumping the gun.

Ken
    Hi all

Thanks for your response. Well, this is what exactly happened. As I mentioned before, it was a very small dent(chip) on my rear bumper. Anycase, I Immediately notified my insurance. In the meanwhile, the auto-dealer whose truck hit my vehicle, promised to take care of it. Keeping in mind the extent of the damage, I agreed to it. Also I informed my insurance that it is being taken care of.
    Two days back I got back my vehicle with the bumper as good as new (am really happy with the painting and refinishing). But when I enquired about the check engine light and VSC, they said that its no longer on. I had a doubt that those guys would have done a hard stop (reset). Today the lights came back on. Am planning to take the vehicle tomorrow to my friend who is an auto mechanic dealing with imported cars who can read out the codes for me. Based on that, I can decide my further course of actions. BTW my vehicle is under extended warranty if that will help in anyway. Not sure whether the O2 sensors are covered. Will keep you all informed. And yeh, sorry for the long post. Just wanted to explain in detail. Can post a image of the dent if you want. Thanks
  • Good Luck,

Sounds like you just need to make sure the lights aren't accident related. It's possible they are.

Ken
  • lennyrlennyr Member Posts: 1
    Where is location of the cabin air filter on the RX300? Is it difficult to replace? Thanks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • It's easy, but I use a needle nose on the second cover. It has two tabs and the needle nose is easier to hold and adjust the cover. It took me a couple minutes on the first replacement just to get the hang of how the second cover slides in and out of position. I use Lexus filters, expensive but, precut and they hold up. You do have to watch on the first cover, the back of the glove box, on how it bends and slides. I am slow at these things, so you should have no problems.

Ken
  • kandygirlkandygirl Member Posts: 4
    I am looking at a '99 RX300 with 111K miles on it. I hear that Lexus is really good on mileage. I was comparing it to the Mercedes Ml320 and I wanted to know how ell this vehicle performs and at this mileage being 10 years old. It seems like it was very well maintained. I mean 10 years 110K miles is excellent. Question is: Will I be investing in a problem if I purchase being that it is 10 yrs old with that many miles? :confuse:
  • glenfordglenford Member Posts: 138
    My '00 RX300 just reached 106K. I am not considering selling it for maintenance reasons. Essentially has been trouble-free. I have owned it since 37K. I think checking the service records is a good idea. You'll see if there have been any re-occurring problems. Also, make sure they did the timing belt service (at 90 or 95K, I forget which). On average they are good. The trick is to figure out if yours is in the "on average" group, or has had trouble. I would bet that a Toyota dealer would look it over for a fair price as a checkup, which would give you some negotiating room with the seller if they found anything. Good luck. Tim
    One thing you have to keep in mind before buying such a premium car is the cost of maintenance. I recently had to change the O2 sensor and catalytic convertor pipe for which the Lexus dealer said would cost me more than $2000 (part + labour). Since mine is under extended warranty, I didn't have to pay anything out of my pocket (ofcourse had to pay for the routine maintenance). I own a '02 RX300 with 73000+ miles on it. As the previous poster mentioned, check the history thoroughly. All the best
  • Yes, check any maintenance records. Especially oil changes. Have a mechanic look it over and check for any sludge problem that has been discussed on this site. Don't remember what years that applied to. You don't have to have Lexus do repairs/maintenance. I found an excellent local mechanic almost 20 years ago. Fair rates and excellent service. How much are they asking? You can compare that to this sites True Market Value.

My 2002 has 102K and never had a single problem. Runs like day one.

Ken
    Well I scratched the 99, they were asking 14,2 and I found an '02 with 89K and they are asking about 13K. I felt a little more comfortable taking a newer model with less miles. Should I get an extended warranty and if so how long do they usually last. I am picking up the car on Thursday. Also, I was torn between that and an '02 Mercedes C240 with 75K miles. I have read a lot of bad things about the maintenance on MB and I think I am scared away. Any suggestion on which car to get? I heard that lexus is more dependable, less problems and cheaper to maintain. :confuse:
  • Lexus over Mercedes definetly. Do all my suggestions above, especially private mechanic to check out. Look for sludge problem. I did my own TMV on this site and with 102k and my options came up with 17K private party. No way to add on for a Coach Edition. Sounds like 13k is a good buy depending on service history and condition. You will soon need a timing belt if most miles are city, and I would change oil and xmission fluid if not done recently. Xmission fluid should be done every 25K on these autos. They run at a high temperature. I have always used synthetic oil and changed every 4K. Any car can have problems at any time. But, as stated above 102K and NO problems. 200K is very reasonable. I will say my miles are 75% highway, it is garaged, and I take very good care of it. Test drive it thoroughly.

Good Luck,

Ken
    :blush: Thank you for all your input and help. I am picking up the car tomorrow so I will let you know how it turns out.
    All the best for your new car. Dont forget to get the extended warranty.
  • irishcaseyirishcasey Member Posts: 36
    I'm considering purchasing a 2002 RX 300 from someone I know, one owner. Has 22,000 miles. My question is whether the 2002 model has similar transmission issues to the earlier models.
    It seems as though most of the posts relating to transmission issue specify model years 1999 to 2001. Any help would be appreciated.
    When I purchased my RX300 2002 model last year, the manager told me that models which came out after 2004 had the transmission problems. Well, now that might be considered as a selling tactic. But am not sure.
    22,000 miles is lot less for a 2002 model which raises the question of validity. Am sure you will check the CarFAX report before going to the next level. Since you say you are buying it from someone you know, am sure there are no strings attached. All the best.
  • la4meadla4mead Member Posts: 347
    The manager mentioned was likely referring to complaints about the '04, rather than problems. There were complaints about soft delayed shifts, etc. on many but not all similar models. The '04 and later 330-350's used completely different 5 speed transmissions, that used really soft shifts for safety and/or emissions reasons. They made tweaks each model year.

There were also complaints for some of the 1st gen RX 300 model years about soft/delayed shifting, as well as other issues mostly addressed under warrantee. But IIRC most of the durability (lack of) issues plagued mostly some models '99-'02, many of which had the transmissions replaced either under warrantee, goodwill warrantee, or by the customer.

You can "search" both RX300 Transmission and this forum for abundant postings offering advice to folks looking to buy as well as folks with complaints from those who experienced failures not covered by the original or "goodwill" warrantee.

If it were me, I'd read the other posts. Then I'd test drive the car, starting with it completely cool. After a brief warm-up, drive it really hard for an extended ride, accelerating hard, experiencing enthusiastic up-shifts and kick-downs, then pull on to a quiet street (windows down) and drive it really easy, light throttle, accelerating moderately from complete as well as "rolling" stops at progressively higher speeds to perceive how each shift feels under varying conditions.

Immediately after your extended test drive while the engine is still idling in Park with the Pbrake on, in a safe place, open the hood, check around to make everything is clean and safe, and pull the trans dipstick. I think it's on the right side of the engine between the engine and battery, and with adequate lighting, is very accessible. Smell the fluid on the dipstick. It should just smell like a manufactured petroleum product. Any burned smell? Wipe it on to a white paper towel. Is it a red color, or is it closer to brown? Has the engine bay just been cleaned for the car to appear more marketable? Or, has it simply been maintained "clean"? Are there any gooey leaks or funny sounds?

Burned or brownish fluid could indicate wear, and if really burned or brown, a lot of wear and maybe some tear. Perfectly red is not terribly likely unless the transmission is a modern unit (unlikely to have shifting problems), or the transmission was serviced well. Erratic shifting may show either the funny software used which varied from model year and 4/2wd models is not to your liking, or a mechanical problem.

Models without transmission problems or after the transmission was replaced (especially with NEW factory Lexus trannys) ;) with the more modern design tend to be pretty reliable cars with few issues. A good friend of mine has a 2000 4WD with well in excess of 150,000 miles (last time I checked) on the original transmission, with no problems at all. Fluid changes...

Test it out, and buy it if it's a good one. I was fortunate, Lexus recognized the weakness in my early '99 2WD and replaced my transmission in '04 under warrantee. I got lucky (there were new ones in inventory apparently from the Kyushu factory, and the rebuilt ones tested had shifting problems) with a new upgraded factory transmission in '04, which shifts enthusiastically and precisely. Then because I'm looking for extra durability, I added additional transmission cooling, :shades: but that's another story.
  • Own a 2002 Coach Edition. 103,000 miles. Flawless.

Transmission fluid replaced every 25k per my mechanics recommendation. It is very dirty by that time. STRONGLY recommend the 25k interval. They run hot. Also do synthetic oil changes every 4-5k. Oil is still light colored in engine after that time period.

Good Luck,

Ken