Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• txgal1txgal1 Member Posts: 14
    Thanks!
  • la4meadla4mead Member Posts: 347
    Yes, like all the same that's been posted before (keyword search is helpful). Most of the first ones built (1998 for 1999 model year) had bad trannies to start with. My original burned the fluid quickly indicating wear, even tho not part of recommended maint, I changed it about every 25,000 and it was pretty beat up by that time. It also had some quirky shifting problems since new. The dealer just played dumb to my concerns and to the tech service bulletins. Just before the 70,000 mile standard warrantee expired I asked a different dealer to service it and check it. Their response: "if you can leave it with us, how about if we just replace the transmission under warrantee?". They finally got auth from Lexus for a brand new one (after trying two factory rebuilts on the shelf).

The new one made to more modern specs does not burn the fluid at all like the original did. The shifts are precise, smooth, and enthusiastic with no hesitation. I still change the ATF at least every two years (always specify the type IV fluid, not an additive "mix"). As extra insurance I also added a redundant cooler in the fender with a thermostatic fan (in addition to the factory "tow package" cooler and the radiator cooler).

Mine was first year, and had a variety of minor issues that Lexus took care of under warrantee, sometimes to the extreme that other makes would not have done. But now that it's getting older and doesn't get used as often, I can report minor trouble with door lock solenoids that are very un-Lexus or un-Toyota like.

A properly maintained RX300 that was not used for an idling air-conditioner waiting room/rolling phone booth is bound to last a long time, and be worth fixing minor glitches. One with few but all city miles, lots of soccer mom/dad air conditioned idling (which eats up lots of cars), or a smell of burned fluid when you check the dipstick should be avoided. Look for signs of excessive "city" wear (I call it the "air-conditioned shopping cart")... rusted muffler, door dings, worn brake pedal, are all indicators of a rough life regardless of mileage, and easy to spot.

And have the transmission serviced, not flushed. The service is important because contaminants (worn stuff) suspended in the fluid get removed with the filter, cleaning the magnetic pan, etc. Make sure they use the correct fluid.

Good luck! ;)
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Beginning with the RX330 Lexus used DBW to prevent the engine from rising in RPM until a previously engine/transaxle control ECU "commanded" transaxle downshift ran to completion.

Since the earlier RX300 used a mechanical coupling between the gas pedal and throttle plate the same technique could not be used.

On the other hand my '01's TC, Traction Control, dethrottles the engine via EFI fuel starvation control. Why couldn't Lexus use this same technique to "hold off" rising engine RPM/Torque for downshift delays...??

The throttle plate would still open, just as it does/is with TC activation, but the only harm in that is the engine ROARING to life once the downshift is completed. On the other hand there are circumstances with my RX300 wherein VSC activates and I am forced to completely release and the re-apply pressure to the gas pedal before the engine will respond at all.
  • melanjianmelanjian Member Posts: 31
    dear la4mead... can you please tell me Exactly what i should tell the dealer in detail
    what they should do on a transmisson service for my 2001 rx awd 300 ???
    new gasket?? cleaning the pan??? clean the screen (if there is one), new trans filter??.. of course using only type 4 fluid. thanks... but also i am confused about how much fluid gets replaced, about 4 quarts according to the manuel or is it more like up to 15 quarts based on some posts here???. mine has 102,000 miles , never
    towed anything. thanks!!!
    I would ask the dealer to drain the fluid in the pan, install a new filter (I believe it is an actual filter, screens were on early models and the replacement part is a filter) and the new gasket comes in the set. They should clean and inspect the pan when it's off. They should report the condition of the fluid and any debris (indicating wear) to you. This is preferred over "flushing" the fluid, even though less fluid is exchanged than a flush.

The manual lists less fluid than some actually hold. My 2WD model needed more than 6 quarts to get the fluid level to be correct, the manual calls for 4. If you're having it done at a Lexus or Toyota dealer, they will make sure to top it to the correct level. 15 quarts doesn't sound right. Perhaps that's what the whole unit with 4WD needs during assembly, but don't worry about that.
    thanks a million!!!!!
    i called my lexus dealer, the highest volume lexus dealer in michigan, and they do not perform transmission service as maintaince, only flush with the flush machine
    at cost of 210.00. what do you think?? the wont drop the pan unless there is a gasket leak or already a problem with the transmission!!!
  • irishcaseyirishcasey Member Posts: 36
    I am considering buying a 2002 rx 300 awd from someone I know with about 40K miles. Price will be what dealer will give on a trade, which I expect to be lower than I could get elsewhere.

I stayed up way too late last night reading posts in this thread and the rx 300 transmission thread. (Did Lexus make any rx 300's that didn't have trans problems? ;-) But seriously, the post seem to heavily include 1999 and 2000 with trans problems. I didn't see many 2002's.

I plan on taking it to a Lexus dealer and having them look it over expecially inspect the rear seal, check the trans fluid and if possible check for gelling.

I would appreciate hearing any of your thoughts on this. Thanks.
    Thoughts: Get it checked out by an independent (not Lexus) shop that specializes in Toyota/Lexus or other trusted mechanic, rather than the dealer.

Note that the posts on this forum are only usually from owners with complaints looking for resolution. Owners without complaints rarely have a reason to post. Yes there are owners who did NOT have transmission problems. I know of a close friend whose '00 RX is a good example at 199,000, no hesitation, and the fluid runs pink.

OTOH, there seem to be more reports of out-of-warrantee RX trouble from those who have low mileage. It could be that many high-mileage owners experienced trouble which was resolved during the long warrantee. But '02 model with 40k miles seems like either mostly city/traffic mileage contributing to the type of wear that could be trouble, or the vehicle was not used for extended periods which can also potentially be hard on the car.

Road test the car extensively. Look for any disagreeable shift anomalies under light load, downshifting, and any possible disagreeable hesitation. Not all models experienced this trouble either.

Check the fluid condition for burned color and/or odor. Clean, it should be clear pink with a petrochemical smell without a burned smell. Also consider if the purchase price is good enough, you can still end up OK even if you have to have the transmission rebuilt later. Plus you can control the transmission service interval, because dealer "service" packages based on their recommended schedule don't usually include any transmission service or concentrate on areas that are prone to failure.

With frequent oil changes, it's unlikely gel/sludge is a problem, especially '02. Any blue smoke from the tailpipe on cold initial start? Oil changes should have been done ahead of schedule in the Lexus manual, or for low mileage go by the "severe use" schedule. Mine called for 10,000 mile oil changes... In my opinion that's a bit too long, and I've always done 3-5,000 max.

Check that all the power door locks work properly. Sometimes the solenoids can get sticky if the vehicle is used infrequently. If that happens you have to lock the affected door manually or the security system doesn't work right. Again, it's not a deal breaker, either, if there's room in the price to have one fixed. Check the power antenna. If it's hit tree branches, low garage door, or car wash it could be bent and not work properly.

When considering price, do not add for low miles on this car. It's very easy to argue that low miles on an RX indicates "severe usage" even (especially) if only used a few miles at a time to go to church on Sunday.

Let us know what you find out. Good luck!
    I thought others would share their view, but I'd pass on the volume dealer that will only "flush" the transmission at $210.

I'd try either a trusted local Toyota dealer or

A local trusted transmission shop. I would offer to get the type IV fluid from a Napa or Toyota dealer and bring it with the car, if they don't have it in stock (most don't. They use generic Dextron and add an additive). Bring 6 or 7 quarts with you.

My third choice would be a different Lexus service department, one who offers individualized service.

Here is a link from another user who shows some DIY instructions http://rx300how2.home.comcast.net/~rx300how2/xmission_fluid_change1.htm, to familiarize yourself with what the mechanic should be doing. When they service the transmission (and replace the filter) they can check for unusual wear.

Flushing can cause more problems than an improperly installed pan gasket. And the dealer's service department should be able to install a gasket without problems. But I'm not surprised the "volume" dealer deals in volume, quick in & out. I'd definately avoid them, and go out of my way for good service.
    By the 2000 RX300 model year Lexus had already "applied" the first of what was to become many "fixes" for the design flaw they (inadvertently..?) incorporated in their transaxles beginning in '98.

It is today my firm believe that this particular "fix" involved reprogramming the transaxle control firmware to hold the ATF line pressure at a higher pressure level than previously, and/or even installing a higher volume ATF oil pump.

In any case the result appears to be localized(***) overheating of the ATF since the addition of the external auxillary ATF heat exchanger does not seem to have helped.

If the vehicle you are considering does not have the external ATF cooler (UNLIKELY) then I would PASS.

Even if it does I would want to know the maintainance history in great detail and upon purchase I would monitor the ATF condition like a HAWK. Every oil/filter change.

*** For instance, the gear type ATF oil pump itself overheating due to having to sustain a higher ATF oil pressure than the original design called for, or a higher volume oil pump than the original design allowed for. The external cooler results in the AVERAGE ATF temperature remaining in bounds but not that flowing through or just leaving the ATF oil pump.
    My '01 F/awd RX300 is now at ~75,000 miles and I have no plans for doing ANYTHING with/about the transaxle unless the ATF again begins to look and smell burned.

If I wasn't a DIYer and the ATF again looked burned the flush machine would likely be my choice. There is no filter, just a screen, and mine showed NO evidence of clogging at 40,000 miles. There was debris, ~1/8", in the bottom of the pan which I cleaned out. The three magnets had some minor level of "fines" but nothing in my opinion to give worry.

ATF is specifically formulated to allow such debris to settle onto the sump bottom where it does not create a concern.
    Does anyone know how to update the GPS in the RX300? Mine is pretty useless as it doesn't seem to find many places and is very difficult to use. I live in an area with alot of new streets, stores, neighborhoods.
  • sam421sam421 Member Posts: 14
    Either the dealer will do it for $500-700 or you can find someone on here for a fraction of the price. I would like to do the same but cannot afford it right now. My GPS seems to be 99% accurate anyway ;)
    Even with all the current updates, $250-300 each, DIY install, the nav in my '01 RX300 does not even come close to measuring up to my 2 year old Garmin NUVI. First NUVI update is free but I haven't yet seen the need.
    Thanks for the info. I won't bother to update it. You can buy a hand held for much less than that. If I didn't live in the Dallas area where everything is new, I probably wouldn't have a problem with it but it can't find anything here! Thanks!
  • pam1999pam1999 Member Posts: 1
    I have a chance to buy a Lexus rx300 with 206000 miles on it. I haven't seen records yet but it was a used car but not Lexus, dealer's wife's car, and he maintained it for her. Drives well and a mechanic will look at it Monday. They want $7000 taxes and tags. I think that is too much. First would anyone buy a car with over 200000 miles on it and second what would you pay if you did. I did appraise it on Kelly and Edmunds, it came out in the high $4000 or low 5000. Does any one have a Lexus with over 200000 miles on it?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's a bit hard to believe that a car dealer would "force" his wife to drive a car over 200,000 miles when there are so many new (and good) used cars passing through the dealer's lot everyday. Did you see a Carfax on it? (most dealers subscribe to Carfax and they should be willing to show you a report). Not saying it's not possible, but it's probably not typical.

That's a lot of miles for any car.
    I have a 2001 with only 125K and it runs good, although I just spent $1400 on timing belt, tune up, other maintenance. I also have alot of things on the vehicle that already do not work such as various dash and interior lights, garage door opener buttons, one door lock, GPS sucks. The problem is that any small thing you want to repair costs hundreds of dollars so I don't bother! I would be leary unless I had clear records of maintenance and Carfax info. Also they have the worst turn radius! Good luck.
    dear w west.. my excellent 2001 awd fan and blower doing fine but no heat even at max heat setting... any thoughts???
    Servo, vacume line, open connection, or coolant thermostat?
    anything a non techie like me should easily check??
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    I just spent $1000 fixing the heat/AC system on my '99 RX, after spending $4700 on a new transmission. I had two things wrong. First, I hadn't had heat for a few months. Then the fan wouldn't change speeds. It was always on high. The lack of heat was caused by a servo motor not working. It was expensive because they had to take apart the dash to get to it. The fan speed was some electrical part connected to the fan. At least both were in the same area so it saved a little on labor, supposedly.

Did you hear any clicking coming from the dash area. I had lots of clicking noises for a couple of months before the heat stopped coming out.
    Vapor lock, bubbles, in the hose to/from the heater core. Low coolant or changed coolant recently..??

Or failed servomotor that drives the reheat/remix door/vane and all air flow bypasses the heater core.
  • jbl85jbl85 Member Posts: 49
    My 1999 RX300 is 10 years old but only has 45k miles on it. Now, the tranny fluid has been changed, but what about other fluids, like Antifreeze, Rear and Differential and Transfer Case Oil, Brake fluid???

To the best of my knowledge, the antifreeze was replaced about 7 years ago, and it recently tested "OK" at the dealership, but 7 years? Really? In my '05 RX330, the toyota antifreeze is good for 10 years, but in '99, I don't think they had this durable fluid.

I know the Differential, Xfer case, and brake fluid has NEVER been changed...

Does one go by the age of the car in this case, or by the mileage when determining when to replace such fluids.

I welcome everyones comments!
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    The bulb that lights up the shifter area, Drive, Reverse, etc. is burnt out. This is the one down near the shifter not the one near the speedometer. The dealer says it is quite complex to replace and therefore is expensive. Anyone done this? How was it?

Thanks,
    Bob
    1: I would start going to another dealer's service department. The service rep who told you that the bulb in the shifter is complex and expensive is not on your side, and I would have a hard time trusting them to do the job. A stereo and alarm installer would likely be a better bet if you want to pay someone to do it that has experience with the dash wood panel.

2. I would do it myself, if it was me. I just had the U shaped wood panel with the plastic shifter surround removed to install a red blinking (fake alarm) light, and saw what I thought I remembered. The shifter bulb is right there.

The "D" bulb in the instrument cluster seems much more involved, so I haven't done anything about that one.

To remove the U shaped wood and shifter surround, I used a couple pieces of soft plastic (like parking pass placards) to protect the panels and a thin screwdriver to pry the panel up. Be careful not to scratch the panel, and it will pop right off. It took me about two minutes being very careful. The bulb for the shifter was right in view, but I'm sure skinny fingers would help. :shades:
  • pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    There are instructions for replacing the instrument cluster "D" bulbs somewhere here in Edmunds, try a search. I did it a couple times on my RX300, it is a little involved but not really that difficult.

Pete :)
  • dsalcedsalce Member Posts: 4
    In Jan 2009 had to have the transmission rebuilt in my 2000 RX300. it had 130K miles on it. Now at 138K I am now noticing an RPM problem. Last week while driving at about 70mph for over 100 miles the rpm's were barely at the 2000 level. This week the rpms are at the 4K+ range while driving at 70 mph.

Over the life of the car the rpm level was always about 3K while driving at 70mph.

Is this a transmission problem or something else? I checked the transmission fluid and it looks clean and does not smell burnt.

Please advise
  • jstribjstrib Member Posts: 1
    The footwell mode is not working in my RX300.... It is only blowing air through the top vents. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? The air/hear are working fine, but it is getting cold and want to have warm air on my feet.
  • That is a huge difference. My 2002 is always around 3k at 70mph. Never been at or near 2k at that speed. 4k seems unreal. A dumb suggestion, but i have had it happen: check and make sure the Overdrive Button is pushed in on the side of the gear shift. If it isn't, the orange O/D light will be on on the dash.

Ken
  • dsalcedsalce Member Posts: 4
    The problem was solved by the replacement of 2 of the 4 oxygen air flow fuel sensors. (I think that's what they are called). Anyway, the car is running normally now.
  • Great!!!!!!!!
  • player4player4 Member Posts: 362
    Hey guys, my parents are currently looking to buy a 2002 RX300 AWD with 115,000 miles on it for $12995, it is a great price considering the condition and features that the car has, ive already done KBB and TMV and pricing seems right.
    However, i have some questions about the car maybe some of you can help me.

1. How do i know if the car has AWD, also how does the AWD work? Is it full-time running all 4 wheels, or is it front-wheel drive based then switched to AWD like Acura/Honda?

2. How can i tell if it has HID's by just looking at pics? Since this generation does not have projectors like the second gen, its kind of hard to tell, but i know that some first gens do have HIDs, i just wanna know if this one does.

3. I know the car has VSC (becase of badging) however it puzzles me that some have the TRACtion button on the center console and others dont, in this case the one my parents are looking at does not have the TRAC button but it does have VSC. Do ones that have VSC have TRAC as well? Im kind of confused on this one.

Thanks in advance

Player4
    One of my tail lights is out on my RX300 and want to know how difficult it is to get to the bulb or should I have it done at dealer?
    I think only FWD's have TC off button.
    1. You can tell from the VIN number, if the fourth digit is G = 4x2, if H = 4x4.
    2. I don't think HIDs were offered in 2002 but just turning on the headlights should reveal if they are HID by the blueish color.
    3. I believe VSC and TRAC are both standard features.
    Some of these options vary from year-to-year so you may wish to verify the above information. Assure that the timing belt and water pump were replaced as this is recommended at 90,000 miles. Hope this helps a bit.

Pete :)
    HID's were an option starting with the '01 model. Due to the addition of TC, traction Control, the VC was made virtually non-functional and then eliminated entirely for the RX330 model run. Making the RX series, like the HL & Sienna, basically a "One-Wheel" drive vehicle, only to change with the RX350 2010 model.

Prior to the adoption of DBW for the RX330 model the RX series was HIGHLY subject to premature transaxle failure, exceedingly so for the '99 & early '00 series.
  • howard41howard41 Member Posts: 1
    The dealer has diagnosed an oil leak from my 1999 RX 300 as a rear main seal failure. He wants $1275 to repair based on 12 hours. Is this a reasonable estimate? Are there any shops in the Harrisburg PA area that could do it reliably for less?
  • player4player4 Member Posts: 362
    So my parents went today and test drove the car and it drives awesome and all. I checked carfax and ALL of the service has be done at Lexus dealers and also the water pump and timing belt were replaced at 108,000 miles and also the key case was also replaced like 1,000 miles ago. Ive heard that the key case always breaks easily, so im glad it was just replaced.

Thx for anymore info you guys post
    10 to1 odds says that the leak is the result of a recent dealer oil/filter change.
    Try a Toyota dealer. Same parts and level of competence usually at a more competitive price. No gourmet breakfast, free loaner or quick-and-dirty car wash included!

Pete
  • Not sure what DBW is per wwest, so i don't know if he meant transmission failure. But, find out when it was last done. I do every 25k religiously. It should not look real burnt bu redish. I have 138k on mine. Did belt and pump and new plugs. It runs like the day I bought it.

Ken
  • mjmbostonmjmboston Member Posts: 2
    I am about to buy a 2000 RX300 AWD with 100,200 miles. The car has had one owner, has done all scheduled maintenance recorded at Lexus dealer, most of the mileage is highway from driving back and forth from upstate ny to florida every year. I am now REALLY nervous about making this purchase after reading about all the transmission problems with these models, particularly the AWD model. I got the dealer down to $9400, which I think is a good price. I really want this car but don't want to get stuck with having to buy a new transmission right off the bat. Any thoughts, suggestions or recommendations. PS I am not a car person and don't know much other than the research I am doing! THANKS!
    I have had a 2001 for about 2 years. I haven't had any trouble with my transmission at all but have 140,000 and only had it for the 2 yrs. Maybe for peace of mind you could take it to a place that does transmissions just to check it out before you buy it. I love mine with a few exceptions. The turn radius is not great, several of the gadgets like different interior lights, garage door opener, small things like that don't work and cost a fortune to fix. I would buy another one. That price is not bad either as I paid $16,000 for mine. Good luck!
    From what I have read over the past several months, there are many people that have had problems with thier transmissions. One on this board said that the transmission was the same one as in the Camry, but my neighbor works for Toyota and he has told me that the trans is the same as in the Highlander, which would make more sense.

Bottom line is for as many people that have had problems, the majority of those who own these cars have had no issues. Remember, when you get to 150k+, it is probable that you would have to get ANY transmission serviced, replaced, or rebuilt. Also consider that there are many out there that don't share their driving habits at the same time they post problems about their transmissions.

Check the transmission fluid, and make sure it is Cherry Red, and not a dark red color. If it is the former, I would have it changed right away. My '99 has only 46k miles on it and when I started reading these boards, I checked it and it was slightly off color, so I had it drained and filled twice over a period of 4 months, and that turned the fluid back to a Cherry Red color. Will I have problems with mine? Time will tell. But, to do the preventive things like this can never hurt.

I would say if you have all of the service records on file with Lexus, then check to see if the trans was ever serviced. If it has, then I think you are fine. Wehn you buy ANY car with that many miles on it, you are rolling the dice to some degree.

Happy New Year!

JBL
    ***CORRECTION***

Check the transmission fluid, and make sure it is Cherry Red, and not a dark red color. If it is the former, I would have it changed right away.

NO!!! I Meant to say that if it is the latter, not the former...SO if the fluid is DARK RED you should change it ASAP!

Sorry for the mistype.
    Don't.

The earliest RX I might trust would be an RX330 with DBW (Drive-By-Wire). DBW was used to "protect the drive train", prevent the engine torque from rising in response to gas pedal depression when teh tranxale has no yet completed, fully completed, a downshift.

But you would still be encountering, potentially, the dangers related to the 1-2 second downshift delay/hesitation.
    Because the transaxle is the same as the Highlander does not necessarily mean it isn't also the same as the Camry. I can tell you that the post '03 Camry transaxle has the very same sequential downshift design flaw as the RX, HL, and Sienna.
  • mjmbostonmjmboston Member Posts: 2
    Thanks very much everyone for your input, I really appreciate it!