Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• Options
    beer4704beer4704 Member Posts: 46
    125K today on a business trip to VA. Other than the tranny replaced at 111K (under warranty) and 2 tail light bulbs there have been no other repairs. There has been routine maintainence and MB1 oil changes every 10K. Brakes were done at 83K. Coolant at 70 something and 123K. Fuel filter at 70 something and 124K. Timing belt, water pump and tensioner at 103K. Serpentine belt done at 90 something. I hope I am not jinxing myself by saying so but this Trooper has been the best value I have ever had to date. Hopefully alternator, fuel pump and starter will hang in there awhile. I am hoping to put 200K on this 2K Trooper. This does have me thinking about a replacement vehicle but seeing how the note was recently retired, it will be nice not to have a payment for a while! Cheers to all!
  • Options
    cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    ...a $4-5K tranny replacement job would quickly end that Trooper's life. I'm glad you had the warranty.
  • Options
    You are right about that! I would have a hard time justifing a repair of such large expense. It does burn a little oil between changes which is aggravating when you are using MB1 but it still runs rather well and has been very dependable. If something large goes kaput, maybe I could sell it for parts. Trade in isn't much on these things, especially, with high mileage. For now I'll keep "knockin' on wood". One thing I did notice this morning; my rear driver side window is going up slower than the other windows. Is there anything that can be done to lubricate, WD40 spray or something? Any ideas would be most appreciated. Cheers to all!
  • Options
    tkevinblanctkevinblanc Member Posts: 356
    Is about a year of car payments on a moderately expensive new car.

This is a GM tranny, and I'd be willing to bet you could get the job done cheaper than that, but maybe I'm wrong.

Still, I understand the sentiment.
  • Options
    sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    Hey guys, anybody remember the "cassette rewinding" noise? A guy on another board is describing a similar noise, and I recall that we talked about it here a while back. Was a cause pinned down for that noise?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There's a few posts about it dating back to 1999, like this thread:

oldpickup "Isuzu Trooper - Part II" Oct 5, 1999 3:30pm

Try an Advanced Search on the left sidebar for a few more.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Hey guys was doing some general maintenance on the trooper today curious if there are any grease points. Looked like there was one on the driveshaft. I did 3 quarts of 75w90 Redline Synthetic for the rear diffy, much smoother now! I need to do the front diffy next.

-mike
  • Options
    serranotserranot Member Posts: 113
    I think there are three on the driveline--one on the slip joint and one on each universal joint. I just did mine, but I can't remember if both universals had them or just the rear.

I am unaware of any other grease fittings.

Tom
  • Options
    I would love to grease the driveline instead of going to the dealer. I have a grease gun but not the knowledge of where the fittings are exactly located. Paisan, do you have a "how to" on your website? Cheers to all!
  • Options
    bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    Has anyone ever done this? I tried unsuccessfully to remove the smaller rear door on our 98 Troop yesterday. I backed into something (our minivan) and dented in the rear corner of our Troop, just above the taillight. It's a good-size dent but not huge - the crease is probably 4-6" across and the dent goes in probably 1-2". With the rear door removed, I could get right at the dent from the back side.

I removed 4 bolts securing the door, plus 2 more that are buried inside the cavity where the hinges reside. But the hinges and hardware didn't slide right out of their openings. I spent a good 30 minutes trying to jockey and jostle it out, but couldn't get it. It was hard to see in the openings to tell why it wasn't working.

I was able to feel the back side of the dent by removing the taillight and reaching up there with my hand, but there isn't enough clearance for a hammer or other tool that could bang out the dent.

I've never done any rudimentary 'body work' before and I am not looking for a perfect result, just looking for a way to reduce the size of the dent and make it less noticeable. Some of the paint scraped off, and I've already done an ugly touch-up paint job on the scrape. So it looks better than before, but I would like to reduce the dent without spending an arm and a leg.

The truck has almost 110,000 miles and I don't feel like spending several hundred bucks on cosmetic body work for a vehicle that's worth $5-6k at the most.
  • Options
    justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    I am looking at used (old school real 4x4) SUV's. I had a rental 2001 Trooper and really liked it. All of the used Troops on the market are 2001 or 2002. Average of 36k miles. On MSN is says that the 2002 has intake gasket problems. Not mentioned on the 2001 models. Does that mean, for a truck with no warranty, a used buyer should look at 2001?

I was reading some posts and it looks like maybe the automatic transmissions are prone to failure?

With Isuzu's questionable future, is a used 2001 or 2002 a safe buy? Will they be supported by Isuzu or any other warranty company? Anyone forsee any problems getting them serviced years from now?

Thanks for input! :)
  • Options
    Judging from what I read, the IMG can be a problem on the 98+ Troopers. It is not rocket science to replace them, nor is it real expensive, but that has been a common theme.

As a common lurker on these Isuzu boards, I have not seen the transmission to be all that problematic. I did have a problem that some folks have had with harsh shifting, but that turned out to be a transmission range sensor that had gotten all gunked up with water and stuff. I took it apart and cleaned it, and everything is back to normal.

Another issue with these late model Troopers is that some burn oil. Mine has been an oil burner from day one. I have not seen any difference in consumption between brands. I have used Mobil One for most of its life. The burning characteristic does not seem to make the engines any more prone to failure, but if you have an oil burner like me, you have to check it every 1-2k miles to make sure that the levels are okay. Mine burns 1 qt every 2k miles unless I am towing, or driving for long distances. That increases the burn.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with my '99. I have 57k miles and have owned it for 5 years. Compared to the Grand Cherokee I owned, this thing has been bulletproof.

As far as Isuzu's future, it's impossible to predict. However, it does not look good.

Tom
  • Options
    bsmart1bsmart1 Member Posts: 377
    How do you do it?? Where is the adjustment made for these later models?

Grease for the driveline is as serranot described. There are 3 points to grease on the driveline. 1 on each U-joint and 1 on the slip collar. Nothing to grease up front on the ball joints or link arms etc.
  • Options
    sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    Isuzu's 10 yr/120K powertrain warranty transfers to new owners...except that the 2nd, 3rd, etc owner only get 1/2...5 yr/60K. Unless you are buying a "fleet" vehicle, which a lot of rental companies got. If it is a "fleet" vehicle I don't think there is any warranty coverage. The IMG problem would be covered under that. However I think the problem was really specific to the 1999 model year, although I have read that people with later ones also experienced it.
  • Options
    There is none available on any "new" vehicles it's controlled by the ECU.

-mike
  • Options
    RWD V6 and affordable, I might have to look into that when it gets here. :)

-mike
  • Options
    Regarding the intake manifold gasket problem - my impression was it affected most/all model years when the Trooper came with the 3.5L V6 engine - 1998 thru 2002.

Our 1998 Troop is nearing 110,000 miles and we recently had the IMG(s?) replaced for the 2nd time. The first time was warranty covered, 2nd time was covered by my wallet.
  • Options
    I found the 2 fittings on the drive shaft but I don't know a slip collar (joint) fron a bale of hay! Can someone help me locate the 3rd grease fitting? It was tough to get the front one on the drive shaft due to my side steps. Without the steps it would be a lot easier to shimmy underneath. Thanks in advance! Cheers to all!
  • Options
    Toward the front of the driveshaft, you will notice a place where the drive shaft telescopes. This joint permits the drive shaft to compress and telescope when the rear suspension moves. You will find the grease fitting near that spot. Run you hand down the drive shaft like . . . well, you can't miss it.

Tom
  • Options
    for Isuzu related topics http://www.isuzuperformance.com/isupage/ I found some really good stuff on this page that was posted a few days ago. Some explanations of issues I've had with my 88' Trooper over the years and I plan to take the screen out of the intake air passage. I did advance my timing to 16 degrees and it was quite beneficial to performance. Other good tips there about tire sizing and so forth.

I'm studying my newer Trooper manual now and looking at adjustment of the timing via the IAT sensor circuit. The sensor varies in Ohms based on temperature. At -40F it is 100K ohms and at 266F its 70 ohms. That seems like a huge swing. I took a couple of data points myself and found that at 25F its ~5500 ohms and at 90F its ~2500 ohms. You can extrapolate a curve from these values and get an idea of what resistance to add to make the timing shift. I've tried substituting 4700 ohms at 90F and I get some 'ping' under heavy load, so that's a little too much. I think I can advance the timing a couple of degrees and improve performance without 'ping' while improving mileage at the same time. We'll see.
  • Options
    arktrooper2karktrooper2k Member Posts: 6
    Hello everyone...I had not been here in almost a couple of years, but have been doing a little lurking lately...It's good to see the "regulars" are still here!

A divorce and the subsiquent loss of my business put the damper on doing anthing to my Trooper in the last three years, but things are slowly but surely coming back together!

I have nearly 62,000 miles on my 2000 S/TOD and it has been nearly flawless. I say nearly because I have had a couple of reprograms done on the ECU for erratic idling and the six-disc CD changer has had to be exchanged three times (all under warranty). Short of that...nothing else! I've never had what I would call excessive oil usage...about a quart of Castrol 10-40 every 3500-4000 mi. I change the O/F about every 5K, give or take a few hundred.

I was hoping I could get some information about changing the fluid in the transfer/TOD case though. On page 8-19 of the owner's manual, there is a reference to "Transfer Case (4WD Vehicle Only) and "TOD System (TOD system model only). Am I correct in assuming that there is NOT both a "transfer case" and a "TOD system" on my Trooper, and that the TOD system takes the place of and is the transfer case on the auto trans model? I just want to make sure that I am not missing anything and also that I don't put Dextron and/or 10W-30 where I shouldn't. I am also assuming that "#24 - Shift-On-The-Fly-System (4WD vehicle only)" on page 9-8 is referring to the manual transmission Trooper and has nothing to do with the TOD/Auto version.

Any information I could get on this subject would be much appreciated! I plan on being here more frequently in the future.

I also plan on keeping my Trooper for a long time. It will be paid off in a little over a year and if things keep improving I would like to add a WRX wagon along with the Trooper.

Have a great day everyone!
  • Options
    Sad to say when I called Isuzu in CA the other day looking for info re: my previous post, I was told that the Axiom and the Rodeo are gone now!

A call to my local dealer in Fayetteville confirmed this fact.

Only the Ascender (not the spelling I wanted to use..LOL!) remains.

My servicing dealer also carries Cadillac and Pontiac and has no plans to drop Isuzu service.
    There are a ton of Rodeos and quite a few Troopers in this area of Arkansas and I don't think they want to anger any future customers for their other brands.
  • Options
    Mike...awhile back I had to format my hard drive and lost the address to your Isuzu website...could you please post it again...I think from reading recent posts that there may be some info that would be helpful to me...Thanks!...Dave
  • Options
    cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    Not much has changed there in the last couple of years but here it is: http://Isuzu-Suvs.com

...plus he's thinking about selling out and getting into a 7-passenger, towing vehicle.

Seriously though, why not the Ascender? It's getting 300HP in 2005, has 7 seats, and the 6300-6800 lb. towing ability. The price is right too. Not just for soccer moms anymore, paisan :-)
  • Options
    Thanks for the info!
  • Options
    right there in my repair manual. The table for the resistance of the IAT for each temperature point is given in the manual. The numbers are:
    113F 1188 OHM
    95F 1802 OHM
    77F 2796 OHM
    59F 4450 OHM
    41F 7280 OHM
    23F 12300 OHM
     5F 21450 OHM

Obviously, its not a linear change for equal linear temperature changes. The fixed resistor 20HP mod is a 4700 OHM value, so they are targeting about 57F. That might be fine for the mid-South where the temperature doesn't change a lot, but it wouldn't be good for the North. I'm trying a series resistance in-line with the IAT sensor. This sets up a voltage divider network that feeds a signal into the PCM to adjust the timing and fuel/air ratio. I'll see how well it works and report back here for anyone thats interested.
  • Options
    You're here in my neck of the woods. I'm in Russellville. I didn't know there was a ISUZU dealer in Fayetteville. I've been up there looking for parts for an 88' a few times. Do they have any Axiom's on the lot? Are they making great deals on them? Sorry to hear they are discontinuing that Direct Injection vehicle. It drove real well in my opinion. It could be the power engine of the future.
  • Options
    Haaa, the Ascendor may theoretically hold 7 passengers, but it is in no way a 7 passenger vehicle. Not for 7 race-drivers and crew along with our gear and a dual-car trailer.

Also the towing on such a narrow/short vehicle would not be sufficient for my needs along with no AWD option. THe "auto-4wd" is not a good system IMHO.

However I'm gonna keep the trooper anyway since trade-in is so low.

-mike
  • Options
    I put in Redline High temp ATF fluid for the TOD case. Was a bit of a PITA getting it in but now it's in good shape.

-mike
  • Options
    Related to my problem several posts back...My TOD system is binding while driving on dry pavement. Well I got a call that the $314 speed sensor was installed, I specifically asked if they test drove it, of course they said they did.

Well I paid another $200 for the install of the part and got out to my truck, put it in TOD and backed out of the spot. Didn't have to go more than 10 feet and the problem was still there. He started by telling me it normal that 4wd binds and shouldn't be driven on pavement, etc. So I had him get in another Trooper they had on the lot and take it for a spin too. Of course I was vindicated, for what it is worth.

The service guy on Saturday was at least nice about it, after he admitted not really knowing about Troopers (then why did he say it was normal...but what do you expect). They credited me the labor on the part install and gave me a free loaner. However I am still out the initial $314 and now my warranty is expired.

It was in the shop for this problem prior to my warranty expiring, but I am very wearing that I am going to have to fight to get my money back and then also to get warranty coverage on a new transfer case...if that is what is needed. UGH! At least I have a loaner so I don't have to have my family make 3 more trips back and forth with me.
  • Options
    Last night, a Buddy of mine showed up at church with his new vehicle. He has a combined family of four young teenagers, plus his wife. He wanted a ten passenger vehicle so the kids could bring friends (youth group and all).

He bought a Dodge Sprinter, which is the Mercedes mini-bus that Dodge is using to replace its 10 passenger van. 5 cylinder Mercedes Diesel, roomy seating for 10, 5K tow capacity, 140 inch wheel base, 154HP/254FtPd torque...

He gets 25 MPG around town. Almost 30 on the highway, he says. He got out the door, with a rear AC unit on the roof (the wackiest touch of all) for less than $35K total. Less than most top of the line minivans.

It's wacky, and too noisy for me, but it was a hoot to drive.

And, at least in the Freightliner brand, you can get a dually...

You can see it at www.dodge.com. Too wierd, but wierd and cool.
  • Options
    Yup awsome truck, I looked into it but with only a 5K towing capacity it's no better than the trooper.

Currently my tow rig weighs in at 4700-5200 depending on gear we bring plus the stuff in the back of the trooper.

I'm looking for something in the 8000+ range so we can get a dual trailer for towing 2 cars on trips.

-mike
  • Options
    emiuraemiura Member Posts: 59
    From the manual:
    Removal of Tailgate Assembly (RH)
    1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.
    2. Remove rear combination light (RH).
    3. Remove tailgate trim panel (RH).
    4. Remove tailgate harness connection.
    5. Remove tailgate fixing bolt.
    6. Remove tailgate assembly (RH).
    7. Remove taigate hinge.
        - Apply a setting mark (1) on the body side hinge and remove the hinge fixing bolts.

I can email you pictures if you'd like. Email me your address.

...Eiji...
  • Options
    I wonder if the Freightliner dually version has a higher towing capacity?

While the Trooper might be rated to tow as much, I can't believe that the Sprinter wouldn't be more capable with it's diesel engine, five speed auto transmission, long wheelbase and wide track.

Anyway, it was cool.
  • Options
    True but you also have the larger x-sectional area which will get blown around like crazy and may cause more problems with towing.

It is a cool car though I love em.

-mike
  • Options
    seanreidseanreid Member Posts: 152
    Earlier Tranny Question:

It's controversial but I'm now among the group that believes a "power flush" of a higher mileage transmission can actually harm it by blocking some of the filter passages, etc. I suspect that a well-maintained Trooper tranny will last a long time. After trial and error, I've found that my preference is for a tranny flush (powered by the Trooper's pump), followed by an ordinary drain/refill/filter change.

Sprinter: These are great vehicles, we used one for a tour we did for Daimler-Chrysler last year. But I agree that for Paisan's purposes, it isn't powerful enough. Given that Mike often tows a 5,000 lb. + load at speed, I'd suggest a Suburban first and foremost. The Yukon, etc. would work too but the longer WB of the Suburban works better for towing heavy loads. The 1999 models (I owned one from new to 83,000 miles) were pretty reliable. Newer models apparently have had some problems. A low mileage '99 might be a good deal.

I've used the Trooper all summer with no probs, knock wood.

Cheers,

Sean
  • Options
    I spoke with the service guy. He maintains it was the speed sensor causing the problem, however it caused the TOD clutch to stop working properly. Now that it hasn't been working properly it is "seized". They said they are going to add something similar to a differential additive to help "break" the clutch apart and allow slippage.

It seems to me the clutch/transfer case was the problem all along and should be replaced. They still have the truck and think that they can make it work?

I don't have any confidence in this solution or the fact that the speed sensor caused this issue to begin with. I think they are trying to cover themselves.

They said that since my truck is out of warranty they are going to "try" to help me out. I explained that they have been working on this since before the warranty expired and they basically said I would be covered, but it might be a pain.
  • Options
    The dealer just called me. They want me to take the truck back and put a few hundred miles on it to see if their fix resolves the issue.

They *think* that the clutch will start working better and better as time goes on.

He said that Isuzu will pay for a new transfer case "if it is needed"...they don't think it needs one. They are going to keep the ticket open for now.

If their solution works...should I just unload this thing right away as to not have a problem in year?
  • Options
    Denali/Yukon XL this is the GMC version of the Suburban. LWB and all.

-mike
  • Options
    The Sprinter is a COOL vehicle! My impression was these are strictly commercial vehicles, though. So Dodge actually offers them in a passenger configuration?
  • Options
    Eiji, thanks for the information. Yes, pictures would be great! I emailed you.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Sprinter is definitely available in passenger configurations, and conversions are available for camping I think.

Dodge Freightliner (Mercedes Sprinter)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    The thing that suprised me the most was the price. Out the door, taxes, tags, title, etc. for less than $35K.

Of course, other than the excellent platform and German engineering, you don't get much for your money. It's a spartan vehicle.

I just wish my Trooper had that engine - I'd probably get 27 MPG around town!
  • Options
    For some folks, room is more important than comfort. I lean that way myself. That's one of many things that drew me to the Trooper. It's not the most refined SUV on the market, but it is one of the most roomy, well-built, good values available.

Next time I see a Sprinter on the road, I will ask my wife if she'd like to buy one when our current minivan wears out. Her response should be something along the lines of "are you #%^#*() nuts?!"
  • Options
    seanreidseanreid Member Posts: 152
    Hi Mike,

So that's what you're thinking of getting? A Suburban (by whatever name: Denali, Yukon XL, etc.) would seem to be just the ticket for you. Maybe you'll use the Trooper for offroading? I found the Suburban to be much too large to do much offroad.

By the way...if there are any potential Trooper owners out there let me chime in and say that I have been loving this vehicle. I bought mine (1999) in May and have had no problems so far. It cost me only $10,000 and I enjoy it as much as some vehicles that cost me $30,000 plus. I think the used Troopers really are a bargain and if they're beyond warranty than one can pretty much avoid the Isuzu dealer BS and just work with a good independent shop. I was cruising home tonight, sunroof open, heat switched on in my leather seat, gliding over the road on my Emu shocks and I kept thinking...what a nice vehicle for 10K. I also like the little things like the cornering lights that go on with the turn signals, the folding mirrors, the digital compass that looks like a compass - nice details. I burn about a quart of Mobil 1 every 2K and get 18-19 mpg with (mostly backroad) driving. And the thing feels as solid as an (old style) Mercedes.

Cheers,

Sean
  • Options
    Folks,

Just installed some cleaned-up Aisin manual hubs on my '99 Trooper. I'm hoping for a little bit better gas mileage. For those of you considering this conversion, it is really simple. I took the hubs apart, cleaned them up good and regreased them, and then bolted them on. Now I've got to find a machine shop that will machine those chrome hub covers so that I can bolt them back on and still engage the hubs when I need to.

Overall, a pleasant process and one you should consider if you want the option of disengaging the front driveline.

Tom
  • Options
    Yup, looks like the Denali XL will be it. No offroading in it though. It's AWD, no low range, but 6.0 8100lb towing capacity, 2nd row leather buckets, 15" dropdown DVD, and room behind the 3rd row for gear. I'll likely get it in Secret Service Black and have the front side windows tinted to 20%, depending how it sits with the trailer on it likely put in some heavy duty rear springs too.

Looking at used '03+ models as they have larger brakes and a few other upgrades that I like.

I'll keep the Trooper for offroading and for my dad to use to move his boat around and for him to use as a 2nd car since the trade-in value on it with my 80K+ miles is pretty low.

-mike
  • Options
    suavechavosuavechavo Member Posts: 39
    I found a deal on a 2K LTD 2wd for ~$7K w/ 80K. I'm worried about the tranny, it shifts smooth, but it kinda clunks into D. My bro-in-law has a Passport and he says the same thing happens on his and his Passport has been very reliable. Also how do all the electric gizmos hold up? One of the mirrors doesnt want to come back to its right position after being folded in and the motor just runs and runs trying to get it back in place, is this an expensive fix?? Oh also, the leather is kind of stained, like the people who owned it wore black pants all the time, it makes the nt look dirty, do you think Lexol will remove this?

I know I'm nick picking this truck to death considering the price but I'm new to Isuzu all tho I've liked the Trooper since the 84 models came out.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!
    MartyMar
  • Options
    Troopers do push pretty hard on their drivelines, so you'll feel it when you put it in drive, although I wouldn't expect and audible "clunk".

Anything electronic will seem outrageously expensive to fix. You could consider that the only time I've ever actually folded my mirrors was when I went through a car wash...