Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    After a closer look at my 255/16 Revo ATs I think I might change then before snow after all. They started out with 13/32nds tread depth and after 40K+ miles are down to half that. From a few feet away the tires still look like there is a lot of tread left. Without snow, I think these tires might go another 15K miles.
    New tire time will also include a set of OME HD Shocks to prevent uneven tire wear that worn shocks can cause. If I can handle the cost, I will also get the OME rear coil springs and sway away torsion bars.
    I am still torn between Revo-AT and G051-MS tires. See the comparisons here:
    MS:
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?typ- - - e=HAS
    AT:
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?typ- e=ORAT
    My tire needs are quiet performance handling and smooth ride along with snow traction because where I live there are no snow plows and it is hilly and some dirt roads. I go off road very infrequently because my wife and kids do not want to go along and I am a family first guy.
    My favorite tire store and free rotation / balance place is a http://www.DiscountTire.com which carries the Yokohama Geolander HTS G051, the Bridgestone Revos would be a special order. A set of 4 Geolanders would be about $100 less than the Revos.
    So, what do you recommend another round of Revo-AT or try the Geolander G051-MS this time? Thank You
  • silverghostsilverghost Member Posts: 154
    I'm with you. Although I have no experience with either the Yoke's or the Revo's, it's the G051's for me. I'm gonna use my Duellers a little longer, though. They have another 6K or so left on them.
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    No, the tires had nothing to do with the wreck...guy ran a red light and T-boned me.

I found the Nittos to be smoother running than my previous Scorpions, with great traction and were supposed to have a 500 wear rating (never got to find out how long they lasted). The LT load rating was desirable for me, as I go off road occasionally - stronger sidewalls compared to P rating.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I like the Dueler A/T 693s. The Revo's weren't available at the time I purchased...I probably would have ended up with those, but I think the 693s are excellent, great traction, good offroad, quiet, etc.

Something to consider since they may be cheaper and seem to also be a very good tire.
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Member Posts: 377
    I hope everybody's OK. Weren't you driving a 99' Trooper? Are you planning on getting another Trooper to replace it?

Has anyone heard whether the Axiom has the same oil-burning issues that Trooper has. They share the same engine design except for the D.I. one don't they?

I see ISUZU has a sales drive going now....$6500 rebates yada yada yada.
  • troop2shostroop2shos Member Posts: 235
    If you have Firestone dealers in the area, you have easy access to the Revo's & can negotiate total price. If the Revo's met or surpassed your expectations, why switch? The Revo's have more sipes / bitting edges.
    Consumer tire reviews have to taken with a grain of salt since there are far too many variables that come into play (experience / skill of the reviewer, initial impressions vs. long-term usage, type vehicle, service duty, personal predjudices, etc.). There are only a few magazines I somewhat trust on their reviews based on personal experience (CR is not one of them).
    The GO51's & / or Nitto's may meet your needs just fine but I would talk to someone you trust who runs them for their input - pro & con.
    Of all the tires I've used, only 2 models would I ever consider buying again or have bought more than once: BFG KDWS's on my Gen III SHO (2 sets) & Bstone A/T Revo's for my Troop - intended service dependent. The OEM Geo 900's on my '04 Forester XT will not be put back on but I will consider other Yoko models.
    Revos:
    http://www.bridgestonetire.com/dpp/sizespecs.asp?passproductid=10- 55
    Geolandar HTS G051, G052, G053
    G051 is regular sized P rated tires
    G052 is skinny rubber for tall rims
    Go53 is the load ranges D E etc..
    http://www.yokohamatire.com/pdf/004205.YOK_GeoHTS%20bulletin.pdf
    Interestingly: G051 are all slightly lighter and at the same time slightly larger than the same sized Revos.
    Also in the 255/60R16 size the G051 are rated 112s compared the the Revo 109s. Original Equipment Trooper tires call for 106s.
    I am going to stop thinking about which tires to buy and start thinking about saving up for them and the OME shocks to protect my tire investment.
  • dmuzykadmuzyka Member Posts: 31
    OK, so there I am last driving home in my 2001 LS 2WD, and crawling up a light I hear a 'clunk', and the check trans light comes on. It feels like the trans is slipping all the way home, so this morning I crawl it in to the dealer and it needs an EXTERNAL control module ($500 installed with flush and refill - not covered by the 10/120...), and now it needs a transmission ($3800, but covered by the warranty). My Trooper has 68K on it, and I've loved the vehicle up to now, but I'm gathering opinions about whether to count my blessings after the new trans is put in, or punt and trade it in on a trusty Toyota or Honda.....
  • dnestrdnestr Member Posts: 188
    Sorry to know the news. But I suggest you keep on owning your Trooper till the 10/120 ends, because the prices keep dropping since there are no more new trucks for sale. In addition how fast can you trade your 2WD? All this looks like you have to pay in extra and alot bucks for Toyota or Honda. Maybe 2WD trucks are a kind of new fashion or spirit of the US though. Anyway it's rare to hear about 4L30 failing. So I hope new one would be better and robust for years. Good luck.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Yeah and not to mention, a "trusty" honda like the Odessey or Pilot have KNOWN bad transmissions, and we all know about the Toyota Oil Sludge issues from last year....

-mike
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    I guess you missed it when my wreck happened last December...I'm fine but the 99 Trooper was totaled.

I bought a 2-door Tahoe for now. It's fun having a V8! But I am keeping an eye out for a 93 Trooper RS for a wheeling vehicle. If you don't know, an RS is a 2-door and is 17 inches shorter than the 4-door. Makes a nimble little wheeling vehicle! But 93 was the only year they imported RS 2nd gen Troopers to the US, so they are somewhat rare.
  • peterismepeterisme Member Posts: 68
    It is the 4th time I sent the car to the dealer because of CEL was on (well, it never went off at all). After they spent 1 hour (or cost me $90), they said they got three codes but none of them are current. The codes are:

1. Fuel link, O2 sensor code
    2. Trans Run switch code
    3. Brake Switch code.

The service guy told me. The check engine light problem may come from a bad fuel link, so he recommend me to got a new fuel pump ($600) and a new fuel filter ($50). But he still not sure it is the cause of the problem (as usual.)

Anyway, it is annoying. And my wife confirm again that she want a Toyota next time.

A question that my fellow Trooper fan can answer:

How much does it cost (not at dealer) to install a new fuel pump and/or a new fuel filter?

Is it possible to do it by myself?

Thanks a lot!

Peter
    Peter, the fuel filter change is a breeze for almost anyone. A couple squeeze hose connectors and your outa there. The filter is about $20 at your local parts store. Don't get it at Auto Zone, they are stocking the wrong part no. and it won't match up. I've changed mine recently and it only took a few minutes. Make the system is de-pressurized before you disconnect the hoses, or you'll get some gas on you.

The fuel pump changeout is quite an ordeal. You have to drop the gas tank, because the pump is inside the tank. I would leave this to the mechanic, an independent one you have confidence in. It will cost a couple hundred $$ even at that. BUT, if the engine will run, the pump is getting fuel to the engine and I doubt the fuel pump is a problem. The filter is likely the culprit, check the old one after you remove it. Test it by blowing air through it to see how stopped up it is. This could cause a back pressure on the pump that makes it work 'hard' and will shorten it's life if left that way. Otherwise, once the filter is replaced, and the truck still runs, the pump shouldn't be a problem.
    Folks,

Just installed some cleaned-up Aisin manual hubs on my '99 Trooper. I'm hoping for a little bit better gas mileage. For those of you considering this conversion, it is really simple. I took the hubs apart, cleaned them up good and regreased them, and then bolted them on. Now I've got to find a machine shop that will machine those chrome hub covers so that I can bolt them back on and still engage the hubs when I need to.

Overall, a pleasant process and one you should consider if you want the option of disengaging the front driveline.

Tom

Tom, how did the manual hubs affect your MPG's?? I'm seriously considering this if there is a gain to be had. Where did you get the manual hubs that you used? How expensive were they?
  • serranotserranot Member Posts: 113
    I purchased the hubs on eBay and paid about $70 for both. Unfortunately, one of them was damaged, and I have not yet replaced it, so I'm running with one hub (engaged) and the other side still has the drive flange. As soon as I procure a replacement, I'll let you know.

Tom
    Thanks for the tips bsmart. Yesterday I got the filter from Auto Zone and a few clamps. The new filter looks similar to the old one. Does it really no match? I followed the instruction other people posted on this forum. After I disconnect one end (the outflow one), the gas kept coming out. After half a gallon or so, the gas was still flowing, I was afraid that the whole tank might pour out on to my driveway if I disconnect the inflow end of the filter (there was still 20 gallons inside), and it was almost dark outside, so I reconnected the old filter and put it back. I think I will try to change the filter at the weekend, when the gas tank was almost empty.

Thank you guys for the helps!

Sad part of the story:
    My wife insists to trade in the 99 Trooper to get a new car. She would like to keep our 92 Toyota Tercel, which gives us less problems.

Peter
  • dmitrydmitry Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone recommend fog lights that are affordable and are good?
    In the past on other vehicles, I've used Cibie, Hella, Marchal & Lucas in both driving & fog. My preference is Cibie for their lead crystal lenses & reflector design maximizing the light output where it needs to be while eliminating scattered / stray light. Hella also makes a very good lamp.
  • etrooperetrooper Member Posts: 2
    I try to change the coolent for my 98 trooper
    but just cannot find the drain cock by looking
    from under the truck.
    do I need to remove that metal plate just below
    the radiator to find it?

thx for any advice
    etrooper - you need to remove the skid plates. You will find the drain cock on the right side of the radiator. It's just a plastic plug with two ears that you grasp.

Tom
    Peter - you need to loosen the gas cap first to relieve the pressure in the tank. You should not get much fuel then. I've done the filter a couple of times so I know this works.

Tom
  • etrooperetrooper Member Posts: 2
    thank you for your reply, Tom!
  • dmitrydmitry Member Posts: 3
    What size fit in the spaces provided on the bumber? This is the 2000 LS model. Seems like a standard size that I've seen on other Troops.
  • tle45tle45 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

I did some research on this site and have found that my Trooper does not have the V05 option (heavy duty radiator) and am not sure that there is a stock tranny cooler installed. I tow a 19ft boat that weighs up to 4K pounds loaded, and the Troop does fine except for steep up grades. I was thinking of a adding a Tru-cool tranny cooler and wanted your opinions. Is this recommended and any experience with the install?Also, how do I find out if there is a stock cooler already installed? Not sure I trust my local dealer as they are mostly a GM dealer. Thanks for your time.
    Measure the inside of the cut-outs where the lamps will be mounted & allow for mounting depth plus add about a 1/4" minimum for air space around the lamp. Check various web sites for the outside dimensions of the lamps you're interested in - some trimming may be required for clearance. The OEM fogs are approx. 6"W x 2-3/4"H - the height will be a problem in finding aftermarket lamps...you might check PIAA or look at alternative mounting locations if aftermarket - your other option is the OEM lamp.
    I love my Hella 3000s :)

Towing/transcooler- All Troopers are setup for towing from the factory, add hitch and you are good. Although it has a built in transcooler I would add one on as extra protection. I should/may do it on mine.

Draining, I usually just pull a hose. I haven't done it on my trooper yet but I should before winter do the hoses and coolant drain/fill.

-mike
  • pe1227pe1227 Member Posts: 15
    Hi all,

I am considering purchasing a 22 ft travel trailer and was wondering if any of you have had a towing experience with the trooper and a trailer of that length and weight. The trailer is 4200 lbs. I have a class III WD hitch on my 98 Trooper.

Thanks,

Paul
    A consideration when hauling choosing a trailer for yard debris: At some dumps they have rules. In my case there is a rule that trailers with one axle can be considered home owners getting rid of yard debris, but if you have two axles, then you must not be a homeowner and you must follow rules like a contactor or garbage company would.
    I was looking at a large trailer for a few big loads, now I might go with a smaller trailer at max single axle rating for less expensive use of the stump dump.
    PE1227 What kind of distances etc are you planning on travelling? I regularly tow 5k-5500k car trailer 500-900 miles at a time, it's not too bad but I am considering a GMC Yukon XL as a replacement due to the long-towing I do.

-mike
  • tkevinblanctkevinblanc Member Posts: 356
    Boxtrooper, I have a CarMate SST 5x10, 1 axle, 2990# gross. When thoroughly loaded with junk firewood, stumps, limbs, homeowner remodelling refuse, etc., it's as much as I'm comfortable pulling. And it takes forever to unload at the dump.

Even when carrying heavy remodelling refuse (roofing, concrete block, whatever), I've never come close to 2990# on the scale.

I think you can do just fine with a single axle trailer.
  • pe1227pe1227 Member Posts: 15
    I would tow about the same distance. (500 - 900 miles) Looks like it can do the job based on what you tell me. How does it perform going up grades with that kind of load?

thanks,

Paul
    It does ok if you are on interstates and can build some momentum before the hills. I usually get her up to about 70-75 before a hill and end up at about 60 by the time I crest it. If I start out at 60-65 I'm down to 50-55 by the top. It takes some planning but not too bad if you don't tow every weekend with it.

-mike
    PS: I also don't have a sway-controller on the trailer or weight distributing hitch, I bet if I had that it would be even easier!

-mike
  • ae1901ae1901 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone, I am new to this board.

I just bought a used 2000 LS wtih 50000 miles and would like to have a complete change of all the fluids(transmission, TOD, front/rear axles, anything else?). Can someone recommend a place in Chicago to have this done without getting ripped off. How much should this cost?

Thanks. Al
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hey Al, welcome to Town Hall.

Guess no one is Trooping in Chicago right now.

Check out the Edmunds Maintenance Guide for what the recommended minimum service is.

Steve, Host
    I used to do major maintenance at Bill StillWell Isuzu in Downer Grove. But I found they lack of basic technical expertise. I posted in this forum about the CEL light problem in my car. I send the car there 4 times, and they never find out the real problem. Now I just use my local mechanic to do the maintenance. If possible, I do it by myself.

It seems ISUZU is leaving US SUV market (or they seems to), and the ISUZU dealers now don’t care about customers and sure, this lead to poor service. Yeah, we are on our own now :(
    Usually, you will find the service price at Chicago dealer twice as much as local mechanic. (And I never think their service is two times better)
  • va99trooperva99trooper Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 Trooper that is in good condition. The motor (short block) was replaced at 58,000 miles due to a cracked piston rod. Everything has been fine since then except I started noticing this weird odor coming from the motor. It sort of smells like rubber so I thought it might be the tires but it seems like it is coming from the engine compartment. Anybody noticed anything like this? Have checked the engine and no leaks or anything noticeable. Seems to be running fine. Just checking here before I take it to the dealership. Thanks.
    How old is the engine? Under 5000 miles? A newly replaced engine could have that smell, but if it is a few years old and been run for over 5K miles then I would think something else is going on.

A couple of ideas...If the motor was just replaced then it could just be oil/gasket sealer/residue burning off the motor (and normal). If the motor is older it could be a wearing belt or oil or something got on a belt and causing it to burn whenn hot?
  • va99trooperva99trooper Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply. The engine has about 35,000 mis since being replaced. The tires have 50,000+ mis on them but I found it hard to believe they would be causing the smell. I notice it after driving on the highway at about 65mph for 5mis. When I come to a stop at the exit, the smell is really noticeable if you have the outside air on. Just seems strange. Other than that, I know the A/C compressor needs to be replaced. The bearings are making that rattling noise but it still works fine. Have you seen the price on an A/C compressor? Unbelievable.
    The rubber burning smell under the hood sounds like a burning belt to me. Is your A/C belt slipping or rubbing the edge of the pully excessively? Look for a hot belt or extra shiny parts of the pully.
    Or something got on the exhaust and is slowly burning off? Probably a belt, usually there is a high pitched squeeling noise associated with a slipping/loose belt (not constant but right at start-up). If it is an old/worn belt, then it might not make a noise.
    leaking CV boot? Or steering fluid?

-mike
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    Should I be considering replacing my tires? We have Michelin LTX M/S P245/70R16 on our 98 Trooper. 60,000 miles and 3 years on the tires. They seem to be doing well, but I don't know if I should be thinking about new tires as we approach winter. I don't want to use tires with substandard grip during the slippery winter here in Michigan. All 4 tires have between 6/32 and 8/32" tread remaining. Visually, there seems to be 'plenty' of tread remaining. Is this too soon to be considering new tires?

Also, our spare is the OEM spare. Never been used, but it is now at least 6 years old. Same size as the other tires, but it's a Bridgestone Dueler 684. Should it be replaced due to age?
    I have the same tire wear situation, mine are Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos with 40K to 45K (not sure of miles because I used these tires on two different Troopers) miles on them they have about half their tread left just like your Michelin LTX M/S's.
    If winter is mild and the roads not too icy, I could go 6 more months easy. But what if winter is very snowy? Then I will wish I had changed them. I will wait for a bad snow advisory and then go get a new set of tires.
    I am torn between the Revos, a new set of LT245/75R16 are as tall as P256/70's but lighter and the LT245/75 has 15/32 tread depth for more traction and longer wear.
    Or the Michelin LTX M/S are a great tire, but expensive $150, and TireRack.com rates the Yokohama G051 $90 better than the LTX, but side by side in the store the LTX look like a better choice. G051 and LTX don't have a 245/75/16 Load Range C with the deeper tread. I am not going with a heavier than 41 lb. tire, that leaves out the LT265 and some of the P265's.
    Then there's Firestone's new Destination AT which is new, it is lighter than the Revo, and has not quite as high tech a rubber compound, but the price is much lower like the G051's.
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    We got our set of Mich LTX M/S 245/70/16 3 years ago for about $450 including 6% Mich sales tax and lifetime balance/rotation from Discount Tire. I should search the prior posts to see exactly what we paid.

Thru Oct. 31, Costco is running a special on Michelins - $60 off a set of 4. I haven't priced the LTX lately, but I bet this would drop the price near $400 for a set of 4.
    I got an xterra as a loaner from my acura dealership, my wife has the trooper. It is OK. It is a much softer ride...soft and bouncy over the bumps. Not hard over potholes like the trooper. It handles well, at least from a lean in cornering perspective.

It is peppy, but doesn't have as much power as the trooper. It is also much smaller inside. The seats are narrow and probably only 2 people could fit across. I don't think it is as nice to drive even though it maybe handles a little better.

Overall seems like a fun truck, but I don't think I like it as much as the trooper. It probably is fun to drive on the washboards, but I imagine that means it doesn't have the same suspension travel so wouldn't be as good over the tough obstacles.
    I rode in one of these things from Arkansas to Colorado and back. It was the most memorable trip I've made, but not for the right reasons. This vehicle can't hold a light to the ride and comfort of a Trooper. There is NO interior room in such a large bulky looking SUV. The handling is sloppy, and the ride ain't nothin' to write home about. It got horrible fuel mileage, about 14 mph on the interstate at 70-75 mph. It continually dropped down out of O.D. on the slightest uphill grade, which accounts for the poor mileage. The back seat offers no thigh support, has a terribly low seating position that puts your knees in you face, and the front seats are right there in your face as well. I just plain hated the thing. And this is an 04' model, so it ain't like it doesn't have the latest refinements in it.
    I suspect the reason they sell, is because of their low entry price. They are cheaper than a lot of the smaller SUV's like Tribute, Honda CRV, etc.
    I agree on the size of the X. It wasn't much bigger than my old Nissan Altima inside. I didn't think it was that bad though. I only had it for 1.5 days and only put about 20 miles on it, so I cannot make any real conclusions other than initial impressions. For a cheap offroader I think it has a niche, nothing else in its class has 4 low or truck based underpinnings to take over tough terrain.

The Trooper has one of the most comfortable rear seats I have ever been in. I shopped for a lot of SUVs when we purchased our 1999, and all of those pickup based SUVs, 4runner, pathfinder, etc had the very low seats. That was one of the selling points to me, the comfortable interior.

Some people have complained about the driver's seat, but it works well for me. Just wish they had put grab handles on the drivers side too.
    I am thinking about getting a pair of springs. Not sure if I need/want them. I have investigated putting in airbags to support additional load when needed, but that doesn't seem right either.

How is the handling? Does the 1-2" lift make any real difference?

Would those of you who have put them in, do it again? Or something different?