Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• go-to-akgo-to-ak Member Posts: 11
    Hello all- just wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar experience. My 1999 Trooper has been running perfectly the entire time I owned it- no oil burning, synthetic fluids only, all fluids changed regularly. It has 41,000 miles and just ran out of manufacturers warranty three months ago. Yesterday, on the highway I heard a muffled bang accompanied with momentary surge and it started to run rough and the CEL came on about the same time as the temp. gauge started rising. I shut it down before it got too hot and towed to dealer today. Dealership is saying that they believe it is a cracked head (antifreeze coming out of exhaust and milky brown foamy oil on dipstick). They want me to authorize a $700 tear-down to see what caused it. At that point the extended warranty people come out to look at it and have their say as to what caused the failure. My extended warranty covers all powertrain components, but I am leery of spending $700 just to be told that they are going to fight me over the cause of the failure.If its covered, I get my $700 back, if not I am out even more money. Anyone have any experience with this failure or aftermarket warranty companies? The extended warranty company is called Century warranty service of Jacksonville, FL. THANKS!
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    Decide how much you are willing to spend to repair first, then negotiate a lower price, shop around.
    Does the 99 have the manually adjusted valve clearance? Was this done on schedule? Is it possible that an exhaust valve failed to open and that blew out the head gasket?
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I haven't heard of this before. Of course I have to ask the questions regarding maintenance history? Have you changed the oil regularly? Had 15K and 30K services performed, etc.
    There has been a lot of upgrade talk in the past regarding new chips, intake changes, etc to gain more power. I saw this today, what do people think?

I am not sure if I need more power than my 1999 delivers, but I thought it was interesting.

http://www.4x4wire.com/news/tone_monday/tone_sc02/
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Tone Monday... I wouldn't trust him as far as I can throw him personally...

I've had many a discussion with him about Isuzus and he's just thick headed and I'm not impressed with anything he says or puts out.

-mike
  • makayemakaye Member Posts: 81
    (Shiro) Nakamura is recognised as one of the most influential designers in the international auto industry and was general manager of Isuzu's design centre when Nissan chief executive Carlos Ghosn persuaded him to become Nissan's chief designer.

http://www.ameinfo.com/news/Detailed/48531.html
    I have this sound once in a while on light acceleration, like a chattery plastic valve or like a playing card in kids bicycle spokes. It sounds like its in front of the passenger side firewall. Looking at the firewall there from the engine compartment I see a black plastic disc - looks like a diaphram, could that be it? Any ideas please. Thank You BoxTrooper.
    I read that blower site, 39hp for $2850? That is a lot to pay for so little gain, but might be handy at very high altitudes. The pictures on that site fail to make the blower unit look well built. How long would it last? How likely are other engine troubles when adding a blower? It is not for me.
    I have another CEL condition after just 8 days ago having the thermostat replaced for the engine running too cold. I will take it back to the same mechanic since I trust them.
    No symptoms, just CEL. Maybe the fix is a piece of electrical tape over the CEL, but then the ODBII will tell on me next time I have to pay for a county emissions sticker, so I better deal with it.
    If the condition clears itself, will the CEL go back off?
    Is there a way to get the CEL to blink out the CEL code so I can find out what the problem is? (my 1984 Trooper had a couple pins to short out then the engine light would blink a pattern, this happened only once because I took it all apart just to see how it worked and missed a hose putting it all back together)
    Trooper reliability in my household all the way back to 1984 is legendary, now with two CEL back to back, there is some doubt.
    I am pleased with the performance of my 2001 Trooper even though it has the CEL.
    In the next few months I will get OME shocks the HD mid grade ones and new tires.
    So far I am going with the AT-Revos LT245/75R16C because they are as tall as 265/70R16 and 7 lbs lighter, yet they have 15/32nds tread depth compared to the usual 13/32nds.
    Three days in a row I am the only one to post here! Why?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Three days in a row I am the only one to post here! Why?

Perhaps everyone is out enjoying one of the last weekends of Autumn in their Troopers! Don't fret - they'll be back. The boards are usually relatively quiet on weekends.

tidester, host
  • bawbcatbawbcat Member Posts: 118
    I believe LT tires tend to be stiffer than P. I presume that could give you a harsher ride. I once switched from LT tires (BFG AT) to P tires (Michelin AT) on a Jeep Cherokee, and the P tires were much more comfortable. I did replace shocks at the same time, so that probably helped also.
    I tend to run my P series tires on the high pressure side so I can get that stiffer ride, I don't like it when handling seems mushy. I do wonder if the LT 75 tall tires will actiually give more that the P 70 series because of the extra height. That worry makes me consider LT265/75R16C instead, which will be wider and a little more stable, but I also worry about MPG, and the extra weight and diameter of the bigger tire will cost MPG. The extra width of the wider tire might be a disadvantage in snow since they must push/plow a wider tread path through it. The overcapacity of the bigger tires might also provide less stopping power on pavement if the rubber compound is harder for that heavier load that is not there. Bigger tires would definately look better.
    I have been also considering (compare to Revos) the Michelin LTX M/S, but LTX don't come in LT245/75R16C, they only come in "E" load range in that size, and I think LRE rubber would be too hard. They do have LTX M/S in LT245/75R16C, and it weighs only one more pound than the 245E. My tire store guy says even though the LTX M/S web page claims 15/32nd, they actually measure 14/32.
    LTX M/S would be a longer wearing tire than the Revo and maybe a little quieter(M/S vs. AT), but the Revo's softer rubber as it wears down is a very good thing. I had an emergency stop, car pulled out in front of me in the rain (driver on cell phone ran a stop sign), I expected to kill the guy in a t-bone accident that would total both vehicles, but, I stopped impressively well with my current set of Revo's that have less than 5/32nds left. I wonder if the LTX M/S would have allowed me to stop as well under those conditions, I doubt it. So I am still thinking Revo for the next set.
    I've owned the vehicle for 10,000 miles. I had it tuned up when purchased, and have been changing the oil with Mobil one every 3500 miles. All fluids- ATF, coolant, differential etc. have been flushed and replaced also. I've had many import cars over the last twenty years but never something like this. Guess I'll need to locate all of my receipts if this ends up in small claims court. The aftermarket warranty company will cover any engine failure/damage to parts, gaskets, etc. except those due to overheating.
    Could anyone give a rundown on the various OME shocks for a late model STOCK suspension Trooper?
    soft/medium/firm, N15/N65??? etc...
    Opinions, benefits, concerns? Ride quality on vs off road? Does someone make OME for them or are they their own manufacturer? The descriptor for their shocks is similar to Trailmaster Suspensions description of some of their shocks.

Looks like there is a monotube adjustable KONI that might be interesting. Monotube, high pressure BUT being able to soften it to a certain degree. There is also the KYB Monomax. I'm concerned that the monotube shocks may be a bit stiff on washboard dirt roads, for example, rattling the Trooper apart. I know someone with the Bilsteins, higher pressure shock than the Monomax, but they are pretty stiff.

I currently have RS9000's, but feel that while they remain controlled over large bumps they are too bouncy over small ones. I think they are, perhaps, not worn, but weakening somewhat in fine control. I've varied them from a setting of 2 to 4 and find the ride acceptable, but I find small road imperfections cause the Trooper to wander or bounce a bit (getting some tire bounce). I don't think it is related to being too stiff, as I also notice this on the softest setting. I do have 265/70 tires, so I'm carrying a bit more unsprung weight.

With a low setting, I can fly down washboard dirt roads and not even feel it. Then crank them up for harder stuff. I'm thinking of trying a warranty exchange. The shocks are about 5 years old. I like them, but wish they were more of a true gas shock, providing a little more control.

Thanks.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I tried to get my RS9000s replaced under warranty, need the original reciept and it's not a problem. I didn't have mine unfortunately.

-mike
  • kleinckleinc Member Posts: 13
    I have a 97 and I'm trying to find a tire cover that is not the cheap kind on-line. Any Ideas? Anyone heard any news on the 2007 trooper?
    The shop just a week ago did a thermostat replacement with new intake manifold gaskets and a new serpentine belt because they needed replaced.
    So when the CEL came back I was worried about another expensive repair. Turned out to be a not tight enough gas cap, never had a loose gas cap before, still, I am a little embarrassed, but having a $0 trip to the shop is a great thing.
  • peterismepeterisme Member Posts: 68
    Hi, Mike, I have the same situation. My mechanic recommended me to replace all 4 of them and he said they are causing the uneven tire wear and road noise. But I cannot find the original receipt :(

Anyway, I found a deal at Sears this week, them will provide free installation promotion. This time, I will just go with Monroe Sensa-Trac ($40 each) and wish them last longer than Rancho. Sears also carries Rancho 5000 and 9000x. The sales men at Sears should have a second job at used car dealer. When I asked them to order the shock, they pretend they don’t know the free installation promotion! Later they guy try to sell me 4 tires and claimed that I have to replace my current Yokahoma which only have 30k miles. Well, even if I decide to buy tires, I will go to Costco, which is $30 cheaper and offer free installation.
    Not sure about manufacturing details. I can report that they are superb on and off road.

I first added a bullbar, and then added the OME shocks. The stock shocks could not handle some of the offroading I did in the summertime. 45 minutes bouncing over sand dunes to remote fishing spots was too much for them, actually 10 minutes was too much for them. They would start losing performance and I was bouncing all over the trails.

The OMEs were such a huge improvement offroad, even the kids were picking to ride with me rather than in my brothers expedition because his stock shocks would fade and bounce like crazy. The OMEs just stay even the whole time.

On road they are good also. I am very happy with the performance, less nose dive on braking, less body rolls in and out of cornering. Bumps are not as harsh (still jarring, just not as much).

I have about 20K on my OMEs and they still seem good. I really don't know how long they should last, but the stocks seemed dead after 18K.

I have the n65/15 setup. There weren't really any options since I have the bullbar upfront, they recommended that set from ARB. You should go to the website...www.arbusa.com...and email them your questions and ask for their recommendations, they are really good about getting back to people.

I don't know about other brands, but the OMEs are designed specifically for the trooper and I have been extremely excited about the performance...They were definitely the best upgrade I added to my truck.

You can buy them on the web and have a local shop install them. Try www.rocky-road.com or www.4x4connection.com for pricing.

Last one...you don't need OME springs to use these shocks. I don't have them and have no issues running just the shocks.
  • dmuzykadmuzyka Member Posts: 31
    Man, is it looking dark for Isuzu. Pushing the Ascender for two years??!? My local dealer (who also sells Lincoln-Mercury...talk about a no-win situation...) has all of 2 Ascenders on the lot. Their back lot, which was once filled with 150-175 various vehicles, is empty, with maybe 80 Mercury/Lincoln vehicles in the front. This is on a major Houston freeway. Pretty sad....

http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101233
  • raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    I know of a (Cream White, pre-2000) stock Hard spare tire cover. If interested, I can e-mail the info.
    Hard cover would work. what is the cost difference between the soft/hard and will it fit the 97's spare tire mount?
    sbcooke for the info on the OME's.

RE: Autoweek article...Well, at least Isuzu has a "plan." ;-)
  • raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    Well the cost difference is big, I’ve seen hard covers go for $150 on Ebay, the soft covers can be purchased at any off road accessory store for as little as $25. The hard covers will fit the last generation Troopers (94-02). The hard covers come with a Black insert/liner that goes on prior to the wheel being mounted. The colored one then goes on over the wheel and liner providing a sealed unit. Typically one has to have a real desire for the hard cover; otherwise if it’s just something to cover the spares ugly appearance, the soft one is probably the way to go. Here's a link to soft covers.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/4wp/products/productLine.asp?cat=JEE&a- mp;prodline=383&catName=Jeep%2BAccessories&man=BEST
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    our 98 Trooper has one. I think the truck actually looks better with no cover on the spare. Ours has some big vertical scratches the full length of the cover, which I foolishly tried to touch up with the proper touch-up paint without priming the area first. It looks pretty bad.

If anybody really is looking for a hard cover and would be planning to repaint it anyway, let me know and we can probably work something out.
    Thanks for your help. I'll just deal with it for now. Cleaning it will be the only bother. I would buy another Trooper in a heart beat. I'm hoping for one in 2007 to replace my 97. I hope isuzu dumps gm soon. They killed Isuzu america. It guess the trooper was too much competition for the envoy/trailblazer.
    It does look bad. Especially the # of dealerships being cut to 250.
    Not so good news. Even NOW the closest full Isuzu dealer to me is 250 miles away! The local Chevrolet dealer is ex Isuzu and provides "parts and service" which, I guess, would include warranty work. I hope.

Well, Nissan came back strong from the brink. Here's hoping Isuzu can.
    Hello again- Got the ($ 600) dealer teardown completed. The technicians said the head gasket was good still, and no evidence of engine overheating, but both heads are slightly warped 4/1000's of an inch- just enough to cause a misfire and coolant to leak into two cylinders. The aftermarket warranty (Century Warranty service of Jacksonville FL) is a bunch of crooks. Even though I have paid in full, and never had a claim before, they are saying that their "expert" opinion is that the car overheated, even though the Isuzu dealer and I say it did not. Luckily, I live in GA, where the small claims court limit is 15,000. I told them I will see them in court. I really loved my Trooper before this happened, now I'm thinking that maybe I should sell it and get a 4Runner or Landcruiser after all this is over with- don't know if what happened to me is a fluke, or the 1999 3.5L V-6 is an unreliable, problematic $6000 engine.
    I went to a party the other week, and on my way out with my kids, we spotted three other Troopers parked around mine. It was not a Trooper party, just coincidence I guess, but I enjoyed that little going away sight.
    Here's a web page to make you feel good about what your Trooper can do:
    http://www.expeditionswest.com/vehicles/ewvehicles/Isuzu_Trooper/
    http://www.off-road.com/vw/features/trooper/trooper.html
    Even if our Troopers become a little obscure, we can still enjoy them:
    http://www.ebroadcast.com.au/ecars/Steyr/Pinzgauer.html
    How much did you pay them for the warranty?
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Member Posts: 377
    What seems to be the failure mode of these shocks? What symptoms are you noticing first? How many miles do you have on them when this begins to happen?

I have a set that I'm very happy with so far. Only had them on a couple years now (25000 miles)
    I would have to say this engine failure is a 'fluke' in your case. I don't hear others coming on the board to anty up the same situation. I have a 99' that is performing wonderfully so far (69000 miles). How many miles did you have on your 99' when it failed?? It wasn't 200,000 yet was it?
    My Trooper reliability has been great:
    201K miles on 1984 Trooper 80Hp 1.9L 4 speed manual 201K miles 17MPG commuting, replaced alternator and belts and water pump all at 140K, replaced power steering pully, replaced carburator throttle plate for worn larger throttle butterfly valve shaft holes leaking air in. Used 1 qt. per 1000 miles at 200K miles up from 1 qt. in 4000 miles at 30K miles. Got 90K miles on each of two replacement sets of tires. Sold because I moved South and wanted A/C, plus years of salt exposure made it rusty underneath to the point of weakening the frame.
    145K miles on 1995 Trooper 175Hp 3.2L 5 speed manual 16.5MPG commuting, timing belt and tensioner changed, fought the lifter ticking noise and was winning every battle, then totalled by rear ended so hard that the $6000 air bags exploded, Volvo that hit me was carried away on a flatbed, my Trooper was still driveable. Used no measureable amount of oil between changes, except when towing a heavy load a long way, then 1/2 qt. per 1000 miles.
    55K on 2001 Trooper 215Hp? 3.5L 5 speed manual 17.5MPG commuting, changed all fluids, changed thermostat and serpentine belt, uses 1/2 qt. oil between oil changes, runs strong. 145K miles to go, or about 7 more years. Maybe by then there will be a new Isuzu Trooper on the market long enough to prove itself worthy of the name.
    So far over 400K+ miles and 20+ years ($11K new, $22K new, and $14K used respectively compare that to the value in buying a Toyota land Cruiser! ) driving Troopers without any significant problems.
    Meanwhile, my wife's minivan had to go back to the dealer for repairs 28 times (new transmission, new dashboard, cracked battery three times, etc...) in just 45K miles, replaced it with same (she likes it and I get a big discount) this time only in shop for repairs to fix leaking head gaskets, replace the radio 4 times and new brakes at 50K.
    It was a powertrain warranty 3yrs/36,000 miles added to factory warranty. Unfortunately I should have used a more respected company like Warranty Direct who has a zero complaint record with the BBB. Had the heads looked at today by several independent mechanics who said they are barely out of tolerance- just enough to cause leakage - they thought it may have been due to improper bolt torque in the factory, or head bolt elongation over time due to the heating and cooling cycles of the engine. Valves look okay, but heads are warped 4/1000 of an inch. Dealer insists that you cannot remill/machine a 3.5L v-6 head. The machine shop guys said that was BS. Anyway, I got 4 written statements from mechanics as to the clean, well maintained look of the inside of my engine to pursue the aftermarket warranty company with in court if it comes to that.
    Good luck. Even if the engine overheated...if the problem was caused by something wrong in the engine, they should repair it.
    What I noticed was a loss of control on-road. The shocks still adjust from soft to firm and on firm are rock solid over larger bumps. Over small undulations, the Trooper feels bouncy and wanders. It's NOT the suspension or alignment.

I pulled the shocks off the front. One of the shocks has about 2" of free-play before I can hear the oil go through the valve. On a setting of 5 that play is reduced to less than 1". The other shock has almost no free-play even at the softest setting. There is no external sign of oil leakage on the shock.
    is significant. I can understand why you are getting that 'bouncy' feeling. You've got almost NO shock absorb. on the 2" play shock. That should be a no-brainer for Rancho to replace FREE if you told them and sent the shock back for warranty replacement. There's nothing you could do to cause the play to exist. That's obviously a manufacturing defect.
    4/1000's is nothing to worry about when it comes to milling them flat again. If the heads are in good shape otherwise, I'd mill em' down, slap them back on the engine and drive that baby back home!! I'd forget about court, that'll lead to delays and no restitution for you. What's the estimate to mill the heads and have an independent shop re-assemble the engine??
    I thought Warranty Direct had gone out of business?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think you are thinking of Warranty Gold.

Warranty Direct is one of our links on the main Edmunds.com page.

Steve, Host
    I generally really like the 9000's, but there is one thing that kind of bugged me from day one. In comparison to a high pressure gas shock, the reaction time is far slower. You can crank them up and achieve a solid footing - good offroad and for towing, but it doesn't speed up the reaction time. Just hardens the ride. So, you can still get the suspension jiggling or bouncing - especially side to side - going over bumps. This can even be more pronounced going slowly, say over a speed bump, dip, or drainage gulley in the road. In comparison, a high pressure shock will dampen the up and down or side to side movement more effectively.

This may be where the OME provides significant improvement. It is a gas shock, I assume low pressure, and may control those undulations better as compared to the 9000's.

The polyurethane bushings for the sway bars may be good too.

Still thinking on what to do next. The KYB Monomax, being a high pressure shock are a known quality to me so I'm leaning that way. They should be softer than the Bilstein. We'll see.
  • catmanducatmandu Member Posts: 53
    My brother called tonite. He has an 02 Trooper. Seems in cooler weather he gets a LOT of fogging inside on the windows. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this. Thanks Mel
    Actually, if you want to know what looks like the ultimate shock. Google the Explorer Procomp MX6. High pressure gas shock with 6 way adjustable valving. Seems the best of both worlds. Expensive and not made for Trooper.
    Make sure recirculate is not on. Recirculate builds up moisture from breathing and fogs windows real fast. Second, that's what the AC is for when one uses the defogger.
    Clean the inside windows. It helps to windex them every so often.
    Definitely. Gotta keep the inside of the windows clean. Makes a big difference.
    Thanks for the advice. I don't understand why the dealer insists that the heads couldn't be shaved down a bit. On head is warped 4/1000 , the other side 5/1000. A machine shop guy said he doesn't get concerned until it is over 6/1000. The Isuzu dealer insists that shaving/milling the heads will result in the pistons banging the top of the heads. The machine shop guy also said that he thinks they may have internal hairline fractures, (which started the whole ordeal) so wants to pressure test for $75. My warranty company WILL cover the repair if they have cracks, just not warping. I think the milling estimate was $150, to completely rebuild them with new valves was $800 for both.
    Ask about an ultrasonic (or other non-intrusive test) to verify the presence of cracks. Maybe a close look at the exact measurments will tell, if the head is bigger now than spec, maybe that will prove internal cracks are taking up space.
    I used to be a senior reactor operator at a nulcear research reactor, it is possible to look through the metal at the hydrocarbons (combustion, oil flow, etc..) inside running machinery using neutron radiation, side effect is that the parts become slightly radioactive. The metal remains just visible enough to see cracks. We did this for a diesel walk behind tiller to diagnose a lubrication problem for Yanmar.
    Size.) Please convince me that I can afford LT265/75R16LRC on my Trooper.
    Traction.) Is there a significant traction (stopping power is my major concern to protect myself from other drivers) advantage with
    LT265/75R16LRC(16/32 tread depth 8.1 tread width) vs.
    LT245/75R16LRC(15/32 tread depth 7.5 tread width) vs.
    P265/70R16(13/32 tread depth 7.8 tread width)
    Wear.) I read some reviews, is seems that a heavily loaded or poorly aligned Revo will wear out quickly. Will the larger size last longer because it is running at a lower percent of its full load? If it lasts longer dos that necessarily mean the rubber will be too hard to get a good grip on cold pavement? Tread Depth, my expereience has been to run 255/70 Revos from 13/32 to 3/32 will be about 50K miles, so that's 10/32's over 50K miles or 1/32 per 5K miles, does it follow then that I should get 15K more miles out of the LT265's that have 3/32 more tread to start with?
    MPG.) those of you that run LT265/75R16LRC, how much MPG did you lose compared to stock tires? Going from 18 MPG commuting to 16 MPG will cost me 347 gallons of gasoline at $2.05/89 Octane that's $711.80 over 50K miles. Therefore a 2 MPG loss more than doubles the cost of the tires. Do I gain more than good looks from the larger size? I am not an avid off-roader, but I do go off road once in a while.
    (LT265/75R16LRC are 31.8 in. diameter 48lb.)
    (LT245/75R16LRC are 30.7 in. diameter 41lb.)
    (P245/70R16 are 29.6 in. diameter 36lb.)
    Summary: The difference in tire price vs. size is small. The real cost of a larger tire is lost MPG. Will the savings of a longer lasting tire and the advantage of nicer looking bigger tires offset the extra cost for fuel? This is subjective, I know, but what do you think?
    Revo Sizes including weight:
    http://www.bridgestonetire.com/tireselector/dpp/sizespecs.asp?pas- - - - - sproductid=1055
    Competitive tires:
    LTX M/S has no LT245/75R16LRC, LT265/75R16LRC is 47lbs, expensive.
    Yokohama G051 has not LT245/75R16LRC, but is a low cost high MPG tire.
    Thank you for your help, I hope I am not boring you with my excessive thinking about tires.