Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    Thanks.

Any idea where the mode switch is? I am done with the dealer. I may just have to buy the helm shop manual.
  • peterismepeterisme Member Posts: 68
    99 Trooper Stalling Problem: Thanks for your $1000 advice

During the weekend, I cleaned EGR valve and PVC. After that the CEL, stalling and high (2000 rpm) idle speed problems are all gone! Thank you guys for the suggestion! It saved me $1000. Now the Trooper run smoothly, the only problem is the idle speed still stays at about 1200 rpm.

Here I have to mention the name of the dealer who misled me. They are Mancari’s Isuzu at Orland Park, IL. They are also Chrysler and Jeep dealer (under the same roof). They gave me a $1200 quote for the repair. Since I did not do the repair, they charged me a $100 diagnosis fee. Here my own cost of repair is a can of carbonate cleaner ($3.5) from Auto Zone plus 20 minutes my own time.

I think the Isuzu dealers I met are either idiots or evil guys. For this problem, I visited Bill Stillwell Isuzu in Downers Grove IL for 4 or 5 times (about $500-600 spending before they were out of business) and later to this dealer. But finally I solved the problem by myself (with you guy's suggestion) for three bucks!
    That is great news. It is absurd these days. Mechanics at dealers can only fix what the computer tells them is broken. I had a similar experience where they charged me something like $300 for the part and $200 for the labor to install. Needless to say it didn't fix the problem. I got the labor cost back, but not the part.

It is ridiculous that you got stuck with a diagnosis fee, they didn't diagnose anything. What if they suggested new tires, would that be worth $100? It would have been just as valuable advice.
  • atfdmikeatfdmike Member Posts: 414
    Just bought a 94 Trooper...love it so far. I need an owners manual or guide......any chance someone out there knows where to find an inexpensive one?
    Advice on common care appreciated! Nuf said.
  • silverghostsilverghost Member Posts: 154
    Ebay is probably your best source for the manual. Just keep checkin'.
  • catmanducatmandu Member Posts: 53
    Not real happy with Isuzus dealerships closing lately. Gas prices not fun. Am considering the Subaru Outback as a replacement for our 01 Trooper. We have an 04 Ford pickup with 4WD and dont need the Trooper for the same reasons as when we bought it. My question to all is , what is the outlook for Subaru in the U. S. and are they anywhere near the Quality of the Trooper. This is a tough decision and any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Mel
    You should ask the subaru board :-)

I think FUJI heavy industries owns subaru and not a division of GM. They are probably not as ill fated as isuzu. We looked at an outback wagon a few years back and got an MDX instead. I really like the outback handling wise, awd, etc. It was just too small for me and my family. It was a 4 person car, even though it had 5 seatbelts.
  • troop2shostroop2shos Member Posts: 235
    You can't go wrong with the build quality in the Subaru line. I'm fortunate to own a '00 Trooper & a '04 Subaru Forester XT Turbo. In 25k+ miles of ownership of 2 XT's, including my son's, there have zero issues to date. The Outback & Legacy models are very reliable as well in talking with other owners & you can search the 'net for additional info. How many pre-owned Subaru's do you see advertised for sale - very few. Subaru is also supplying Saab their std. WRX model as a base for Saab's 9-2 X Aero (GM has interest in both companies).
  • amillamill Member Posts: 1
    In my 1995 Trooper, i still have the stock radio (the one with just a tpe player in it) and it is connected to a cd changer in the back. i am wanting to connect my iPod into that deck, and i am wondering if that is even possible, and if it is, what do i need to get in order for me to be able to do that?
    I would think the only way would be via one of those $20 radio shack tapedeck connectors...You should look at crutchfield.com. I put in a JVC mp3 player in my 1999 trooper. I got the radio elsewhere because it was cheaper, but they had all the cables and connectors I needed.

I forget the # (you can search back if you are interested) but the player and speaker setup I put in is great. I have to record music to CD to use the mp3 player. I am sure they have radio's now that have an adapter for ipods. My JVC was $150 through some site linked from epinions.

I found crutchfield to have competitive speaker pricing and all the connectivty options required, but radio pricing to be 20% higher.
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    I traded my Isuzu for a Subaru Forester XT in the fall of '03 and I have been very happy with performance, quality and service. Subaru is doing well and should not have the problems that Isuzu has had the past few years. Reading this forum for the first time in over a year has validated my concerns about declining Isuzu service. That was the main reason for my switch although I really liked my Trooper and Axiom.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Hi all! Haven't been on here in months, but wanted to get back on here!

Right now my car situation looks like this....

00 Trooper -Sold to Dad, still get to use it every once in a while.
    92 SVX- Up for sale will be on E-bay soon
    97 Legacy- Up for sale, my dad gave it to me as part of me selling him the trooper.
    94 Legacy Turbo 5MT- Bought last spring from a guy on here who also has a trooper, this is my daily driver
    96 Impreza Race Car- Race car keeping that
    05 Armada- Once I sell the 92 and 97 I'll be picking one up.

-mike
    How often do you see Subie's up for sale?...I stand corrected on my previous post... :)
    Give us your impressions when you pick up the Nissan.
    Welcome back!
    Congrats on all the above. Abundant envy for the Armada. Sorry to see you leave the Trooper fold . . . the rest of us prolly aren't far behind.

Dave
    If my '00 didn't have only 50k on it, I would give the Armada a look. There are a lot of Troopers running around the area I live in & the dealer supports them well (also handles Gm, Subaru, Hyundai, & Kia). Except for a rear seal pinion leak & an accelerator board going out on the Trooper, the Troop. & my Forester XT only sees the dealer to take advantage of their $14.95 oil & filter change specials. By the time I'm ready to purchase another vehicle to replace Trooper, hydrogen fuel cell & electric drive hybrids may be the only choices... :(
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    WB, Mike!

tidester, host
  • tstruprtstrupr Member Posts: 1
    Hello all--This is my first visit to this forum, so I apologize in advance if my questions have been answered in previous post.

I just purchased my first Trooper, a 94 LS. I have some basic questions that hopefully I can get some help with.

Did it come with factory keyless entry?

I was wondering if the controls for the power mirrors, and rear windshield wiper/washer as well as the knobs for headlights, wipers, hazards are supposed to be illuminated. They are not and I was not sure if this was a problem or that is the way they are?

Every time I lock the doors, the factory alarm goes off in a few minutes, I was curious as to what may be causing this and if it is possible to override it so that I am able lock the doors at night without waking up all the neighbors.

The drivers side power window button will not work for the passenger side window, The passenger side window works fine with its control but not with the drivers side. Do I need to replace the whole unit?

Any help would be greatly appreciated it.

Thanks-Travis
    Well lucky for me my trooper is never far away. Since my dad has it now, I can still use it when I want! Recently put a starter on it and had the cats replaced under warranty again.

The reason I'm going for the A is that the trooper, as good as it is with my upgrades, still isn't up to the task of towing my 5000-6000lb car trailer 10k miles a year with ease. It can tow it but it's not an easy tow. So the V8 Armada will fill the void nicely.

I'll definitely report back on how the Armada compares to the Trooper.
    Does the 05 have a fix for the brake issue? I looked at the Titan...and really liked it. It is too big for me, but my research indicated that there were issues with the disks and brakes on the truck.

However for 10 MPG I get in the trooper, I should get the size advantage of a titan/armada or F250.
  • jimmyp1atworkjimmyp1atwork Member Posts: 42
    Good to see you again! (I'm the guy with the 1994 turbo legacy sold to Paisan, by the way). How is the turbo these days? I haven't been around for a long time either. I still have the Trooper. It needs shocks, that's about it. 105k miles. Ironically, I'm trying to decide between an Armada and a Legacy GT right now.

See ya,

Jim
    Jimmy!
    Drop me a direct e-mail wanted to get in touch but couldn't find your e-mail addy. The Leg is doing well. Just put my HID driving lights on from the SVX, and wound up replacing the trans a few months ago. When I did that I put in STi short shifter, STi trans mount. I'm in the process of getting JIC coilovers ready for it as well and STi motor mounts and Poly steering rack bushings. Last week a ScoobySport UK axle-back went on it. After that a TD04 and v4 STi TMIC are going on it as well as an SAFCII. :)

-mike
    Supposedly fixed in the '05 models are the brakes. But even if it isn't I'm not that worried, there are lots of brake options out there on the market to upgrade brakes on vehicles. If the problem arises I'll first get soe cryogenically frozen rotors and upgraded pads. Worst case I'll convince on of our race sponsors who is a brake manufacturer to whip me up a big brake kit for it.

-mike
  • hnbiihnbii Member Posts: 1
    Did anyone ever give you an answer or drawing? We are have the same problem with a 1996. Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Hank
    hnbii@sc.rr.com
    Most likely you'll need to replace the unit in the door. Should be available at junk yards.

-mike
    I've occasionally seen them on Ebay, also.

Dave
  • cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    I thought you were jumping into an FBI-black GMC Denali queer eye for the straight guy-style and suddenly this change of heart to go with the Armada? What gives?
    Denali is a ripoff. Was debating between the Armada and the Suburban, but realized that the Armada has way better safety controls, independent rear for better ride, won't fall apart at 30k miles, more towing capacity than even a 2500 series suburban (unless you get the 8.1 L engine) and a silky smooth 5-speed trans v. old school 4-speed in the GMs.

-mike
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    Does the Armada have "grade logic" and a "trailering mode" for easier handling of hills. I realy dislike that automatic transmission feeling of falling that happend whe letting off the gas and still accelerating because the tranny is in coast mode.
    Please keep us posted to let us know if you Armada holds up as well as a Trooper.
    I think Armada has been around long enough that initial bugs ought to be worked out, and not so long that the cost cutting engineers ruin it.
    It does have a tow-mode on the trans, and i'm not sure if it has grade logic or not. I will report for sure on it. It does have a trans temp gauge which is sweet!

-mike
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Member Posts: 377
    about 1 MPG improvement in City mileage. I'm getting about 15 now, where I was getting about 13.5 - 14.0 before. We have several stations here that offer Hi Test Gas for Regular price on Tuesdays. It has made an improvement in performance and mileage.
  • blobbynicblobbynic Member Posts: 3
    Hi, please tell me if you found out anything else about your TOD brake lights blinking. I have a 99 Trooper with 65,000 miles and just had a friend change the rear brakes. He also did the brake bleeding for me. Since then, the TOD green lights blink for the rear brakes. Now the check brake lights come on intermittently. We can't think of what else to do. I ordered a CD repair manual for a 99 Trooper and it was no help. I have to find out what is causing this and he will fix it for me. Do you know anything else about the valve in the front differential and the gear oil? Does anyone else know what might be causing this problem? Does anyone have a suggestion about what else I might do? I really appreciate any help. Thanks,
    If it has been a long time, also consider running a fuel injector chemical through the gas tank. I do once a year or if the engine begins to hessitate when I let the clutch out quickly.
    TOD and brakes. Most likely it's un-related, or your friend whacked one of the wheel sensors. The brake light usually is due to low fluid.

-mike
  • blobbynicblobbynic Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Mike, can you tell me where to look for the wheel sensors. The TOD display area just says check. Is there a separate TOD fluid, separate from the brake fluid? The brake fluid is not low. I've read people talk of SOTF gear fluid or oil. Is it the same thing as TOD fluid. Thanks, Diane
    There is no TOD fluid, basically the "check" light is telling you that there is some variance in the speeds reported by the sensors but the TOD can't compensate....

-mike
  • troopy 89troopy 89 Member Posts: 1
    Just as the title says. I turn the key and there is no sound, headlights work & idiot lights work. Could this be the relay or possibly a loose connection to the hot side on the starter? The problem is also intermitant, I turned the key again later after this happened and it kicked over right away. The truck is the manual version & I believe that the clutch was fully pressed down every time I start it. I guess it could even be a faulty switch behind the clutch pedal..... Any advice or ideas to help me diagnose my problem would be appreciated.
    Thanks. :confuse:
    I feel like a dope having to ask, but how do you set the time on the factory radio in a 94 Trooper? Purchased used suv, no manual, is premium sound system w/cd. thanks for any help. I have tried online with no success so far.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I don't know about your specific setup but, on some systems, the radio will have a clock button which you should press and hold then press the bass and treble buttons. Unfortunately, "secret handshakes" vary from brand to brand.

tidester, host
    Picked up my '04 LE Armada today. WOW is all I have to say. It's huge compared to the Trooper. Handling is about the same or slightly better than the Trooper. Looking forward to comparing them. No doubt the Trooper will be better offroad, but for towing I can't wait to get the Armada towing. Heck I bet I can tow the Trooper on the trailer with the armada!

-mike
  • beer4799beer4799 Member Posts: 23
    I am at 143K and still going............Good Luck with the new Nissan..........
    Thank you for your response, tidester, but unfortunately, there is no labeled or obvious clock button on the radio. I have tried combinations of buttons to no avail. I am still looking for a 94 Trooper owners manual on ebay. Still, I would like to stop the blinking clock.....really annoying. I'll keep trying.
  • videorovvideorov Member Posts: 1
    Im wondering if it is going to require any welding to put it in. I have to replace
    both front fenders too. Those seem to bolt on. It looks like the radiator support
    wall that hold the headlights etc may have to be welded in some spots. Maybe
    I will have to spot weld it?
    Anyone do this type of repair?
  • chadechade Member Posts: 14
    I have a 1993 trooper LS and last year it started chugging along pretty bad. I changed the O sensor, IAC motor, EGR and cleaned the throttle body and did plugs and wires. The problem temporary went away but has returned. My check engine light comes on when I accelerate but goes off at stop lights. When I floor it i get a putter and the vehicle doesn't accelerate, black smoke also comes out the exhaust. I also changed the convertor because the exhaust was burning hot. The truck was flooded and I changed the oil and plugs and it ran for 100 miles and then went back to its crappy old self! WHAT SHALL I DO?????? Thanks.
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Member Posts: 377
    I had a similar problem with my 1988 Trooper. It turned out to be the O2 sensor was unplugged electrically. Plugged the wire back on and normal performance was back!!!
  • jpwalsh1277jpwalsh1277 Member Posts: 6
    That’s also my observation. Over past five months, and to many visits to Isuzu dealer’s service dept. For Throt. Valve Sensor and Incoming Air Temp. sensor problems. I have my own trouble reader so they could not get me on that. The services dept. all says well, the computer only indicates alarms codes. They (services dept.) have not been able to find the problem with Air Temp. Sensor. Every time mech. Checked sensor the answer was” it looks ok” and when asked how they can determine if it is in fact, faulty. They answer, by looking at it. After all the BS, I went to storage to recover my OVM and went home and took ohm readings at diff temps. The ohm readings were off by over 3.7KOHM. Spent $27.00 for a new (thermister) sensor…. Well, damm, problems went away no additional “check” engine lights. When service dept. was informed of corrective action there reply was “good guess! Right…. Not sure why today’s mech. don’t troubleshoot to the component level? Of all the recent electrical problems that, I went to the dealer with, I had to troubleshoot and correct all! They score “0”. So much for warrantees : :cry:
    So far my warranties direct one has been good, been going to a local mechanic and they've replaced the starter under warranty, and most recently had the air temp sensor replaced and O2 replaced. It is running a bit more peppy with slightly better milage now.

So far I'm getting better milage with the armada than the trooper. In the first 1k miles i'm getting an average of 14mpg in mostly city driving. The one trip I took to PA yielded 17 on the highway at 75mph. Not too shabby for 5.6L V8.

-mike
  • sandra64sandra64 Member Posts: 1
    Hi there,

I am also new to this forum. Sorry, I don't have any answers but we have a similar problem. I have checked the board and haven't been able to find an answer.

We have a 1993 Trooper LS purchased in 1999, currently has 249,000 km and is in great shape. One problem - when we lock the doors, we have the same problem with the factory alarm going off. Some times it happens within a few minutes of locking the doors. Sometimes it is in the middle of the night. It started doing this about 8 months ago. Being we bought it used it has no owner's manual and I can't figure which fuse to pull out of the fuse box to try to stop the problem.

Any advice, information, or instructions are greatly appreciated as to how to stop or prevent this.

Thanks!
    I have driven them in snow over the weekend. They performed well over 600 miles of wet and snowy road and parking lots in up to 8 inches of wet slushy snow. Still very quiet tires. Rotated once so far with around 5K miles on them. I am glad I have them, Iike their looks better than LTX M/S. I miss the traction comfort factor the Revos gave me, but these G051 tires are quieter and less expensive than Revos. If I get the itch to go off road I may consider getting a set of off road tires LT285/75R16 on their own rims and swap for the off road day.
    On the highway I have been getting 19 mpg with the G051 P265/70R16. That is the same or slightly lower than with my previous set of AT Revos P255/70R16 and 1 MPG lower than the stock P245/70R16 tires the Trooper came with.
  • makayemakaye Member Posts: 81
    Well, I'm pretty happy.
    I had Rancho RS9000s on my 2001 Trooper. Had one that failed.
    BUT, even when working well, I had mixed feelings about the shocks. The adjustment capability was great. Especially off-road. On washboard dirt roads, turn down to 1, when rock-crawling (really mild rock-crawling) turn em up to 5 to maintain ground clearance. What I didn't like was the non-gas technology. For me, a hydraulic shock just doesn't seem to respond as quickly to dampening motions compared to a gas shock - especially at LOW speeds.

Spent a LOT of time thinking, comparing, reviewing websites

Ended up I bought the KYB MonoMax hi-pressure shocks. These are lower pressure shocks as compared to Bilsteins (280 vs 360PSI or so). The shocks are also far different as compared to the older KYB Gas-a-justs. Had those on an older truck. I couldn't compress those easily by hand (very stiff). The MonoMax, while stiff, can easily be compressed for installation. They are also beefier in diameter. With Gas-a-justs or Bilsteins - they came strapped in a compressed position - one would set the lower end of the shock, cut the string, point the other end of the shock toward the mount and pray you hit the target as it rapidly expanded - if you missed, could be trouble getting them compressed again. The MonoMax shocks came uncompressed. I installed the lower end of the shock, compressed the upper end into place with not too much effort.

On road the shocks are great. Very compliant on smooth roads, rough roads, over speed bumps, and big dips. Additionally, they are very controlled. One blip and the shock settles right down. On washboard dirt roads the ride is quite acceptable and control is quite good. I think I can easily control an uncomfortable ride off-road with tire pressure alone if need be.

With the 9000s, driving at speed was fine and generally controlled over big bumps. At SLOWER speeds, like drainage dips or speed bumps, I often felt that I was pogo-ing over them. It could take two or to three oscillations to fully settle down. It may actually have been ONE oscillation per shock, but because the oscillation (rebound control) was SLOWER in the hydraulic 9000s, it just FELT like several bounces. Now, adjust the shocks to 4 or 5 and those yips would settle down PRONTO, but the on-road ride was jarring. Hit a speed bump at 40mph, no problem, at 5mph, my morning coffee would spill all over the console.

I was constantly fiddling around with the in-cab adjustment (which was pretty nifty): anywhere from 3-4 in the front, 1-4 in the rear. On washboard dirt roads at speed, anything over a 2 might get the wheels oscillating out of tune with the body. The shocks have less than 30K miles on them. Rancho will only replace the one leaking shock.

The MonoMax shocks are both controlled and compliant. We'll see how they do over time, but the KYB Gas-a-just I had on my truck lasted 100,000+ miles and still worked great. Cost is also pretty good, less than $50 each shipped. Warranty is the same as the Rancho's, generally "lifetime" to the original purchaser.

So, I'm quite happy so far. Keep you posted on any interesting results. Plus the shocks are red. Anything red must be good.
    I am about to have a set of roof rack brackets made that use the existing threaded 6mm holes in the roof on the 1992 to 2002 Troopers. They will be made of stainless steel since I am tired of painting my old T100 brackets that I bought from OverLander. My new brackets will be similar to the T100, but without the holes in the top, that way I can drill my own holes to fit under a section of 8020 aluminum T-Slot extrusion which will run front to back and provide easy mounting for the crossbars while still allowing the cross bars to be removed for better MPG.
    Your Opinion Please: Should I open this opportunity for others to increase the quantity and thereby we get them all at a lower price each?