Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• Options
    sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    Hmmm. I have a rattle in the dash only when it is below freezing, while accelerating and only for the first 10 minutes of operation? Fuel line problem? Good info. Last winter when I had it in for service to fix that, it went up to 50 degrees! The dealer could not reproduce.

BTW
    I also found someone with the same TOD problem as mine at VMAG. After 30 minutes of driving the system clunks and harshly engages over 40 mph. This guy had the TOD Vacuum Actuator replaced and it solved his problem. I am hoping to bring my truck in for a follow up on this problem and see if that is it. Not a major deal because the 4wd operates fine, but long term it is something I want fixed.
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Here is a guy who is DEDICATED to Troopers!

http://www.4x4mountainsport.com/

They only carry Trooper stuff, but it looks nice!

-mike
    http://www.iace.com/ia/trooper
  • Options
    grucelagrucela Member Posts: 19
    The vibration will only be heard in cold weather before the truck warms up. That might be somthing to check. Where is the 800# for Isuzu, is that on the manual? The heat shield has been replaced and only vibrates when its cold. You can hear it when you step on the gas. Another question, has anyone floored the Trooper then hear and feel a jerking? I was told this is the limited slip diff working, any input?
  • Options
    acowboyfanacowboyfan Member Posts: 27
    Has anyone had problems with a rattle coming from the right rear of the bench seat? I have a 99 Perf(now LS) with about 22.5K miles (had it for 13 months - hey I drive a lot!) and this rattle has become annoying, especially for a truck as tight as this one. On most other vehicles (like my wife's blazer) this would be no biggie, but when it's the *only* noise inside, it bugs.

On to happier thoughts. Went skiing up at Big Bear in SoCal in March with 3 buddies. Started snowing Saturday night, and never stopped. By Sunday morning had over 18" of snow on my Trooper, and we decided to cut the trip short (were going to ski Sunday morning as well) and head home. 2 main roads were closed, so had to take the backway, up and over the summit, in what was now a blizzard (for SoCal anyway). Happy to say that my stock Trooper with TOD engaged was the *only* SUV to make it off the mountain w/o having to stop for chains. Quite amusing to drive by and wave as all the Explorer/Expedition/ Suburban/Tahoe/4Runner owners chickened out and pulled over to put on chains in a driving snowstorm. Odd thing is, I was watching the TOD gauge regularly and only occasionally did the power shift to all 4 wheels. What a sure-footed truck!
  • Options
    gprodickgprodick Member Posts: 36
    I, also, have a rattle in the drivers side dash. As others have noted it only occurs for a relatively short time after start-up when it is very cold out. It will vibrate at around 2000 RPM. It sounds like something high in the dash up near the window defrost vents. Definitely sounds like it is something vibrating in the dash, as opposed to in the engine compartment. I thought it was just a quirk of my vehicle, but maybe not. I will have to check out the location of the fuel line, but somehow that doesn't sound like that's what it would be. Any other solutions would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • Options
    Is that with or without TOD engaged? I notice a slight jerking when the TOD and LSD kick in, but only under heavy acceleration and usually from a dead stop. Not something that is a problem kind of jerking, just a "i'm working" type.

-mike
  • Options
    cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    Does anyone know for sure if there are any side steps available for the 2000 Trooper other than the ones offered by Isuzu? My local SUV/truck accessory store said they could not find any for the 2000. The only ones available were for only up to '97 models and according to them they won't fit the 2000. I went to the Overlander web site and they list the Smitty-bilt Sure Step model SMIN704 for $209 for the '92 to '00 models. I haven't talked to them about it because they will probably tell me they fit and I might be stuck with bars that won't work. Any experience out there with this? The dealer wants $329 for Isuzu bars and that's too high in my opinion. Thanks
  • Options
    bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    I just received my black Isuzu side steps from St. Charles Isuzu yesterday. I've ordered other stuff from them for my 98 Trooper. For this order I again told them my Trooper is a '98. The installation instruction sheet says something about "97 Trooper" but nothing with "98". That made me nervous, but I'm guessing that the mounting location of the 3 screws for each side step is probably the same for the past several years since the sides of the truck (and probably the underneath mounting stuff) haven't changed in several years.

I hope to find out in the next couple days, when I attempt to put them on, whether the side steps are the proper fit.

By the way, St. Charles sells most Isuzu stuff for 15% off manufacturer list price (some items like oil filters are on sale occasionally for even more-- the last 3 I ordered were 30% off). The black ones were $279.40 including shipping. That's $60 off list (local dealers usually sell for list, sometimes even more).
  • Options
    Check out http://www.ecb.com.au/ they may have some side steps for the Trooper. Also try http://www.4x4mountainsport.com They are in Iceland and have a lot of trooper stuff. The '92-'00 trucks are essentially the same (bodywise and framewise) from the A-pillar back. The only changes were made in the front fenders, hood and grille in '98 so the smitty built ones should fit w/o a problem.

-mike
    http://www.iace.com/ia/trooper
  • Options
    I notice a jerking. It is only when I stomp on it. I also notice a slightly harsher downshift lately, this is about 35-40 mph and then when I floor it. Not bad but as I am passing 15,000 miles I figure the truck is starting to break in.

The TOD does cause some jerking, but I attribute this to the wheels grabbing for traction. The other day it was cold and raining, I disengaged 4wd at a stop light. When I stepped on it, the back end started to go sideways. With TOD the truck goes straight with a little jerking as the 4wd kicks in to prevent slipping. With the amount of torque the vehicle has it isn't surprising that when 4 wheels grab at once the vehicle has a little kick to it!
  • Options
    http://www.highwaysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ictl/ictl_util.htm

The Trooper does better than average for "real world" injuries. Positive information, this goes along with the insurance institutes latest press release stating that heavier vehicles fair better in car to car crashes, so while the trooper results are marginal if you hit a tree dead on, these results seem to indicate that it is safer when involved with a multiple vehicle collision. I am connecting the dots a little, but I think I am making accurate assumptions.
  • Options
    spirollispirolli Member Posts: 50
    Here's my thoughts...

The front dash rattle during cold starts seems to be coming from the odometer or directly behind it. I haven't made it back to the dealer as of yet to actually have it fixed.

The rear rattle on my 2000 Trooper Limited was coming from the rear doors. It sounded like it was coming from the bench and the cargo area. However, it was the latch assembly on the rear doors (both upper and lower). Open the rear doors, move the plastic latch back and forth and you may hear the noise that's been haunting you as it was me. This fixed the problem.

-Steve
  • Options
    On my last post, I neglected to state that I pointed out to the dealer where the rattle was coming from, and the dealer fixed the problem by adjusting both rear doors. It actually tightened up the rear doors nicely.

Mountain Trip Update:

Took the Trooper to upstate PA to the Endless Mountains (2820 altitude)on a hunting trip. The truck was literally un-stop-able. I had the truck stopped, in 1/2 tire deep, thick mud and it pulled out as if it were on paved road. I was going straight down a muddy mountain, rock covered path on a serious decline and with 4L engaged and the trans locked in 1st gear..... this truck road with such control, I didn't even need to ride the break...! I was putting Dodge's and Ford's to shame..! Liv'en Large !

Totally Incredible...!

~Steve

ps: The Super H headlights, with the PIA fogs did the trick. The fogs especially. Plenty of front light for those dark mountain roads.
  • Options
    And with the TOD, you are less likely to hit those trees... The beauty of AWD... Wait wrong car company, that's my other car!

:)

-mike
    '00 Trooper LS
    '88 Subaru XT6
  • Options
    grucelagrucela Member Posts: 19
    The dash noise sound like behind the dash, there is a fuel line running behind the firewall, that will cause this when its cold, the dealer stated this was the case with a few trooper they have fixed. The jerking, I have the 2 wheel drive (I know, less of a man) Trooper, I'm wondering if this is the limited slip doing its job. Only happens under full power at slow speeds. But would be the same on 4wd models as its preventing the tires from slipping, my guess anyway.
  • Options
    zman21zman21 Member Posts: 46
    any news on the 3rd row seats from australia
    tnx!
  • Options
    You guy's will be the first to know.

-mike
  • Options
    cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    Thanks for your input. I think I'll wait a little to make sure that they have one that will fit. I looked at the 00 Trooper frame and there are a couple of things attached to it that may or may not have been on the earlier models. I'm sure the frame itself is the same, but not sure that everything hanging from it is the same.
  • Options
    arktrooper1arktrooper1 Member Posts: 101
    When I bought my '00 S a few months back I was looking at Westin and Smittybilt side steps (black) and was going to pay around $220 including shipping. As it turned out the Trooper I found already had the black tube steps and I'm glad it did. In addition to looking a bit cleaner than the aftermarket ones, the factory steps are aluminum and a bit lighter, I believe. Seems to me that the earlier post listing factory side steps to $260 is a good deal especially if it includes shipping. On the window sticker mine were listed as a $340 factory option.
  • Options
    I guess bluedevils listed the side steps he got from St.Charles Isuzu as $279.40 including shipping...still a good deal!
  • Options
    Are the "rear doors" you mention the side passenger doors or the rear cargo doors? My 98 Troop has developed a curious rattle in the last 2-3k miles (now at 37k) and I haven't ridden back there to pinpoint the noise yet.

arktrooper1-- yes, $279.40 including shipping. That's exactly 15% off list, and exactly 15% higher than my local dealers. Local dealer wanted $140 for installation (presumably, 2 hours labor @ $70 per!)! These things each go on with 3 bolts (haven't done it yet) and I've heard it's a 30-minute job. That probably means it will take me 1-2 hours, since I'm so mechanically un-inclined.
  • Options
    pat_pendingpat_pending Member Posts: 36
    Grucella-

I have a similar dash rattle as you, I think. If the fuel line trick fixes it, I owe you one.

I noticed it on a recent trip on some mountain roads in West Va. It occured between 2100-2300 RPM, generally when under load, i.e., going up a long hill. It sounds as if there is light metal or plastic that is buzzing at those RPMs. I will check the fuel line that you mentioned, and see if it makes a difference my moving it or putting some material under it. If it works, THANKS!

-Ken
  • Options
    Where under the dash is this? I seem to have a similar problem (which I previously thought was the bug guard) Ken, after you do it, let us know a step by step method for adjusting it.

-mike
  • Options
    bearhmm265bearhmm265 Member Posts: 2
    We have a 00 Trooper. , is TOD on all the time or
    is there some way to turn it off. All so where is the radio anteana, we get poor reception on AM.is there a way to improve this.
    Thanks for the help.
    Bear.
  • Options
    Is very complete. You can find answers to your questions as well as very detailed information. I recommend you read it cover to cover. There are also a couple of helpful supplemental manuals to read.
  • Options
    the doors i were referring to were the rear cargo doors. there are set's of latches at the top and bottom of each cargo door. these latches are not supposed to move when the doors are closed. my doors were out of line and that was causing the plastic latches to slide around a little causing the tapping/rattle when the truck leaned side to side during normal driving. the dealer tightened up the doors (re-aligned them). this totally stopped the rattle. i even noticed that the doors are much more solid when closing now.

-steve
  • Options
    I have a 2000 Trooper Limited. I have noticed that the paint has started peeling off of the inside wheel wells. Not the black part of the wheel well, but the part that is painted the same as the Trooper. I believe they are called fender flairs. The inside of the wheels flairs is what's peeling.

Has anyone noticed this, especially after mountain driving.
  • Options
    wheel well flairs chip very easily. You should be careful even gently resting a shopping cart against them. When they chip they reveal the black plastic surface underneath. Very annoying.
  • Options
    bearhmm265bearhmm265 Member Posts: 2
    Are you talking about the manual that came with the trooper? I did read it and it was of no help on the TOD or where the anteana is, once again, any help would be nice.

Thanks
    Bear.
  • Options
    gpm5gpm5 Member Posts: 785
    4WD TOD--engage with the button on the dash at constant speeds up to 60 mph. Can keep it on all the time if you want. Also, on the visor there is info on 4WD. you can use 4WD TOD at speeds above 60 with no problem. Paisan on this board has used it at very high speeds. Most AM antennas are part of the back of the radio. The outside antenna on the trooper is likely used for FM. There really is not a way to improve AM--I too have noticed relatively poor AM reception and engine noise. The only time I've used AM was to listen to baseball games, and I think I was getting NY stations in CT. There are filters that you can get on the dc line that feeds the radio that can block the engine noise, but it hardly seems like its worth dealing with. FM works great on my truck.
  • Options
    The antenna on the Trooper LS and Limited is in the 2 rear cargo windows. There is a TSB for poor antenna reception on these vehicles (I haven't had any problems with FM even in the mts upstate NY)

TOD can be active in any conditions and engaged below 60mph. I've had my truck as GPM said upto 115mph with the TOD engaged. When de-activated you will be in 2wd (RWD). 4-Lo can be activated only in Neutral, and shouldn't be used at high speeds (I beleive someone said about 20mph) Although I've probably had it in 4Lo up to about 40-45mph.

-mike
  • Options
    I wonder if the flaking is only on the S and Limited? (with the 2 tone paint?) My LS is monotone and haven't had any problems, other than the ones that I did myself (shopping car and floor jack that I rammed into the fender flare by accident)

-mike
  • Options
    I was reading on another board here about TOD transfer noise. In an effort to consolidate boards I am putting my follow up here. I scrolled back and saw that Kedrick? was having transfer case noise, I have 15,000 and I am noticing some noise. Nothing serious, but when TOD is engaged and I am coasting it sounds similar to a cassette rewinding. I attribute it to being in 4wd and the gears slowly the truck down. I read somewhere (can't remember where) that the TOD (4wd) system is supposed to slow the the truck down while not accelerating. The noise is there, but nothing loud nor grinding? I typically only use TOD when it is wet, snowy or offroad, and never on the highway. I wonder if as I use it more will it get worse? I just hope that if so the 5yr warranty on 99 models will pay off. Anyway I have started to notice the noise and I didn't notice it when the truck was new? I have tried to contact borg and warner and never got a response. I also wonder if maybe we shouldn't be using TOD on dry pavement, even though they say you can?
  • Options
    I have 18 going on 19k miles now, and I've put the last 1000 miles on it with TOD on all the time. Have not turned it off since the Fall. No unusual noise. A very quiet truck. Actually, less noise then my FORD Windstar.
  • Options
    sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    There is most definitely NOT a fuel line "under the dashboard"...this would be a definite safety risk and I can assure you that no car built since the NTSB was created has any fuel storage or routing in the passenger compartment! (Remember those old pickups with the fuel tank UNDER THE SEAT! Thankfully, that practice was discontinued long ago.)

Probably what he meant was the fuel line is mounted on the other side of the firewall from the dash, in the engine compartment.
  • Options
    Got my recall notice for the fuel line on Thursday (11/31) and I should be getting it fixed in the next week or two (first oil change is about due). I'm going to call Isuzu AND ask the dealer about the first one. While I'm not concerned about going down in a "blaze of glory!"...LOL, I would like to make sure all necessary modifications are done.

Last night it got pretty cold and I think I experienced the rattle behind the instruments on the dash that some of you have talked about on here. Although I could find the source myself I would appreciate it if someone could tell (again) exactly where it's coming from and how they fixed it. Thanks!

I think I've figured out what the two people who have had transfer case noise are talking about. When I engage 4 HI the whole truck seems "heavier" and when I'm driving slowly or coming to a stop I hear that sound. It isn't particularly loud or annoying and I just chalked it up to the FWD mechanicals and TOD being engaged. I have a theory though that while not delicate the transfer cases can be damaged by not engaging or disengaging 4 LO completely and then driving the truck. I also think, like some of the rest of you, that kedrick's Trooper did not have the replacement transfer cases installed properly, particularly the adjustment of the 4 LO shift lever. Consequently he kept having problems. Really!...What are the chances that two replacement cases would also be "defective" like the first. Kind of defies the odds, doesn't it???!!! I don't mean to be a Trooper "aplologist" and I know they're not perfect (what is?) but there's obviously something wrong here other than chronically faulty transfer cases.

BTW, though, Isuzu DIDN'T handle kedrick or the problem well if kedrick's account of the incident was correct.
  • Options
    jeepers6jeepers6 Member Posts: 4
    Well, had my truck for 1 year now and I'm still lovin' it and the fact that I did not have to move into the dealership as with my new Wrangler,my last car.I trying to keep up with the rattle stuff going on but I'm confused. Do you all hear it when you are driving? I hear a ,like, ba-thump behind the glove compartment when I hit a pothole(in NY this is all the time) or if I go too fast on a speed bump.I talked to the dealer about it and they said they would try to find it but admitted that taking apart the dashboard may cause more rattles ,so I will take the glove box out myself and try to pad whatever is loose.Unless, it could be this fuel line tapping against the firewall on the engine side?
    Otherwise,It goes in for a state inspection on Tues and they will also replace the gas gauge sender because it always seems to read much less than what is actually in the tank. Hope that fixes it.
    Mike , in NY it should only be $10 for the safety only inspection for the first 2 years,right?
    Rob
  • Options
    Arktrooper--I think that not engaging properly between 4L and 4H TOD could cause such noise and possible damage, if driven. As I recall there was a warning about that in the owners manual. On a used truck, one does not know if someone has done this, but if damage were done, the noise should be there when you test drive it. Its seems really odd to me that service would put in a new t-case, experience the noise even loader, and just say this is normal. Typical incompetence. If service did that to me, they would definitely be feeling ABUNDANT PRESSURE.
  • Options
    correction above
  • Options
    Like I posted earlier, had the T-case been the probem it seems to only be happneing @ 12K miles, which would mean it should take another 12K miles for the 2nd T-case to develop the same problems as the first one. Unless of course as we've been noting, it isn't the T-case.

I believe the dealer is at fault here, and Isuzu hasn't handleded it in the best manner.

-mike
  • Options
    Where in NY are you? My car is registered upstate NY so I do the $18 1 year Safety Inspections. My parent's live in NYC and have to do the Safety and Emissions tests, so theirs is like $60 or there abouts.

If you are in NYC, we should get some people together to do some light wheeling in NJ or Downstate NY.

-mike
  • Options
    mike,

my troop is also mono tone. i think it's cause i got the gold package. i called isuzu and they were basically useless. i'll take it into the dealer and have them look at it. I have to take it back anyway for the recall that I just received in the mail.

steve
  • Options
    gberrygberry Member Posts: 21
    I bought my Trooper end of Oct. '00 and never did receive a recall notice for the fuel lines, but I called the dealer and they fixed it for me. When I read about the TOD engine recall announced in November, I called the dealer again and made an appt. to have it fixed next week. I have not yet rec'd a recall notice for this defect, btw.
  • Options
    I ordered the side tubes/nerf bars from WAAG, as well as their rear bumper guard, through autoaccessory.com. It came direct from WAAG about 2 weeks after ordering. Unfortunately I haven't yet had the time to install them, but I will say that just looking at them, they seem to be of very high quality. I will let you know how the installation goes- - we are, to put it mildly, mechanically "challenged" so I have my doubts as to the ease of bolting it on... btw, I paid $240 for the side tubes and $119 for the rear bumper guard (strangely, the online price went up to $199 for the rear bumper guards shortly after I placed my order). They charged $21 for shipping which I found to be extremely reasonable considering the size and weight of the packages, and the fact that it travelled from west to east coast. Although the official WAAG warranty is less, when ordered through the accessory.com website it supposedly has a "lifetime" warranty (that's assuming the site doesn't go the way of most dot.com co.'s these days...) And cust. service at this site was very, very pleasant, too.
  • Options
    What is this TOD engine recall?
  • Options
    It took me about 3 hours to finish what should have been a 45-minute job, but I successfully installed the genuine Isuzu black side steps on my 98 Trooper tonight. Even though it took me forever to do this install, it's a very straightforward process. Three bolts for each step, or 6 bolts total. No drilling, etc.

As I posted before, I paid $279.40 from St. Charles Isuzu in St. Louis. Shipping is UPS and always free from St. Charles. The price is 15% off manufacturer list.

The side steps seem sturdy when installed and will definitely help my pregnant wife get into the truck, but I definitely like the looks of my monotone Red Rock Mica Trooper better without the side steps.
  • Options
    I put my Thule roof rack on the truck again tonight. It goes on much easier the second time, only about 45 minutes. What I really notice every time I use the rack is the lack of handle on the driver's side. I can use the rack to climb up, but it would be nice to have one there too. I have looked at the design and it doesn't look like the molding is built to add any on.

It is below freezing and I took the truck for spin to check wind-noise from the rack. No rattle this year? I just put dry gas in? I wonder if it has something to do with condensation in the fuel line?
  • Options
    check post no. 92 on this forum.
  • Options
    That was the description of the recall on the fuel line problem in crashes. There was no description of an engine or TOD recall--only that the fuel line can be damaged by a movement of the engine-tranny in a crash. From what I've read, the fix is one of putting in guards and doesn't affect the engine/TOD system at all.
  • Options
    Under "component," one recall is for fuel lines fittings and pump; the other recall under 'component' states "engine" - Under "engine" it states fuel hose assembly, whereas the previous is fuel line shields. Not that I know what I'm talking about, mind you!