Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• vcoreilvcoreil Member Posts: 3
    We acutally lifted the back wheels off of the ground in drive and only the back wheels were engaged. By the way, the wheels do not always bind. Seems to happen when the vehicle is initially started.
  • troop94troop94 Member Posts: 3
    I recently bought a 94 trooper with the 5-speed and single-cam engine, and find that first gear is good for only 12-15 mph. So I must shift a couple of seconds after launch. That wouldn't be so bad except that 1st-to-2nd is very rough unless the clutch is babied. While I'm gently easing out the clutch, other cars whiz around me.

Is this just life with an (underpowered) Trooper? The clutch was replaced 2 years ago, and seems to be OK. I've driven manuals before.

I need new tires and was thinking of upsizing from 245/70/16 to make first gear taller and improve acceleration. But today I discovered that 2nd-gear starts are possible, and can make acceleration much faster and smoother. Anyone else do 2nd-gear starts on a regular basis? Will it kill my clutch?
  • vcoreilvcoreil Member Posts: 3
    Did you ever figure out why the front wheels are binding. I have a 99 Trooper.... the front wheels are binding when I turn in 2WD and 4WD High. They only bind during initila operation of the vehicle when turning.
  • f4phantomiif4phantomii Member Posts: 11
    Well...turned out to be the fuel pump after all.

Went on about a 5-hour trip this weekend. Started out with a full tank of gas, and Trooper drove normally.

After getting down to about 2/3 tank, the surging would start around 3000RPM. If I backed off the throttle, it would behave normally again.

After about 1/2 tank left, it began surging at any engine speed above 2000RPM.....I couldn't pass other vehicles or accelerate hardly at all. If I stayed below 2000RPM, it drove normally.

After getting to my destination, I stopped and bought a new fuel pump at AutoZone for $80 and a new inlet filter screen for another $15.

I drained the gas tank. Luckily, Isuzu has a handy drain bolt on the bottom of the tank.

I then removed the skid plate, and then unbolted the tank from it's supports. Took probably 1.5 hours to unbolt the skid plate and tank. Then had to remove the half-dozen or so hose connections and three or so electrical connectors to completely free the tank.

Once the tank was loose, I took the screws holding the fuel pump assembly out and pulled it out of the tank. The inlet filter screen looks like a tea bag at the bottom of the pump. It was caked with an extremely fine brown residue. After I let it dry, it was pretty clear that it was probably inhibiting fuel flow.

I also emptied out about 12-oz of fuel left in the tank that didn't come out through the drain into a bucket. It contained about 2-ounces of a really sludgy water. I used a rag to really clean out the tank before putting the new fuel pump and inlet filter screen. Took me probably 1.5 hours to put the tank back.

Overall, probably a 4-hour job and it fixed the problem. Not only that, but it actually feels peppier than it has in the last couple of years.

-Michael
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Member Posts: 377
    sure this is going to have an effect on your clutch. Can you pop the clutch out in 2nd gear without stalling, or do you have to 'baby' it a lot? The more you 'baby' it the more wear you're going to have, thus shorter life of the clutch. If the Trooper has the muscle to take off in 2nd gear easily, you're in good shape!!
    Stand by for NEW's!!! I found an new gizmo that is supposed to improve performance and increase gas mileage for a Trooper. I installed it this weekend and after I've had time to evaluate it adequately, I'll let you know what I think.
  • melody4melody4 Member Posts: 1
    Hello. I'm test driving a 2000 Trooper LS for a couple of days and it appears to be a great, rugged truck, however I keep reading about the poor gas mileage (I love the 230hp, however). I would be interested in knowing what you find out about that "new gizmo" you installed and any other info. you might like to offer up regarding this SUV. Thanks!
  • mohawkmohawk Member Posts: 7
    OK...I'm starting to get upset. My 2002 Trooper (45K miles), which has been bulletproof so far, is now acting up. The worst part, is that nobody believes me (at least my dealer).

I need your help. My vehicle, which I love, is not running the way it should.

Let me try to explain my situation...

1. About one month ago I took my Trooper in to have the Tranny Flushed and grease the drive shaft (enter jokes here) zerk fitting.

2. Later that evening I power washed my engine. I first sprayed Simple Green on the engine, let it soak for a few minutes and then sprayed clean. I am very careful not to spray up close with high pressure water. I stood back five to six feet and let the water work.

3. Over the next few days, I noticed the car would shudder when I was in overdrive at low RPM's. For example, as I would climb a slight incline, the car would shift through the gears as it normally would. But as soon as it hit the final shift, it would begin to vibrate. It doesn't do it all the time, however, when it does it's typically in OD and low RPMs (around 35-50 MPH).

4. Took it dealer. They drove it and it performed flawlessly. They checked the codes and verifyed the tranny was full. Returned the vehicle to me with no fix. Only positive thing is they documented the "issue".

5. Driving around town...still acts up. I'm now watching/listening for any sort of sign that I can pass on to the dealer. I now notice that the Trooper is making new noises. Again, high gear (Overdrive) and low RPMs, the Transmission surges and groans (for a lack of better words). It sounds like the torque converter is kicking on and off. I also notice at various times, a sound coming from the engine compartment. It sounds like a muted locomotive horn. Not sure what the heck that is.

6. Take it back to the dealer. Again they drive it and nothing. Frustrated, I asked the Service Manager to take a ride with me. It doesn't do it. I drop him off...on the way home it acts up and start to shudder/vibrate. Just my luck.

7. This past weekend I run 1/2 can of Seafoam through the motor (about 20 miles worth of driving). I change the oil/filter and add Full Syn Mobil 1. I change the air filter and top off other fluids. Start it up and it does seem to idle a little smoother. Take it out for a test drive. Runs good and strong. Decide to head home...car starts to shudder again. It also makes that annoying sound from the tranny/torque convert and the muted locomotive horn. "It's" still there.

So...that brings us to today. It's still acting up. I'm not sure which way to turn.

I need your help and advice...What do you guys think is going on?

Your feedback is greatly appriciated!!!
    did all the trouble start immediately following your washing of the engine?? Did you do ANYTHING else to it before the shudder became apparent? Did you spray the underside of the engine as well? Is your Trooper 2X4 or 4X4?
  • mohawkmohawk Member Posts: 7
    No I didn't notice it before I washed the vehicle. However, I pretty much went straight to the car wash. Looking back, I really didn't give it a chance to act up.

I too am looking at all the variable that have changed since it started acting up. The two major ones are the Tranny flush and engine wash.

BTW...I didn't spray under the engine. Only the bottom side of the hood and the "top" of the motor compartment. Just wanted to wash the dirt/dust off.

Last thing...it's a 4WD.

Thanks for taking your time!
  • troop94troop94 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the help. Starting out in 2nd gear does require one to baby the clutch quite a bit. So the clutch is probably going to wear out pretty fast.

I can understand why off-roaders might like the super-short 1st gear. But it's a nuisance in normal driving. Perhaps with taller tires, such as 265/75/16, the gearing will be closer to optimal for normal driving.

If anyone with a stick shift has experience with different size tires and how this affects driving, I'd be interested to hear it.
  • jesse3jesse3 Member Posts: 7
    does anyone lift these things?? with a solid axle swap in the front they would make a hell of a crawler. havent u seen the flex these things get in the rear?? :confuse:
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    Nope. Not yet. I restored 4wd by replacing my actuator on the front axle, but the TOD clutch does not seem to be working. However, real 4wd high is pretty good too. On rainy days I cannot make the truck slip. TOD had that spin quickly and then lock up...I could fishtail with it fairly easily. 4wd high is a different story; I think in general I prefer TOD for on road driving, it was/is great, but the truck in 4wd high isn't so bad.

So I have some transmission guy that wouldn't work on it until I fixed the electrical problem (replaced the actuator) slated to take a look. I am going to bet he suggests a rebuild. Not sure if it is worth it? My worry is reliability, if I go on a 4wd vacation I want it running well, right now I have no confidence the TOD system may not just bind and explode someday?

My fronts seem to bind when backing up on initial startup in 2wd sometimes as well? I am not sure what this is. I am very diligent about replacing differential fluids. If I idle for a minute and turn the wheels a little it doesn't seem to happen? Perhaps it is a cold fluid issue in the front differential? Could be wear in the diff? My 4wd lockup is definitely in the transfer case. I only have 40k but have put some decent 4wd miles on my truck...I cannot imagine the GM (I think Corporate?) differential in the front would wear out, so I am not sure what is causing it.

I think I will get it fixed, but I am not in a hurry.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    There is a group that is in the polar region that has a few reasonably jacked up Troopers, I cannot remember the link. There has not been too much talk on this board regarding front axle swaps, but there are OME heavy duty springs available that provide a higher body position, but no more flex in the rear. I think people put 285/70s on the factory rims without having to do any mods. It is a good crawler stock, there are some easy things you can do. There are also some web articles about adding some front end lift by fipping a component upside down, however I don't think you get more flex.

I am considering new springs, but I have the above 4wd issue that needs to be resolved before I spend any additional money on upgrades.

I sometimes just drive up my front lawn over the curb just to see the truck sitting mostly level with all wheels at different heights, but all touching the ground. That is the key to 4wd...having 4 wheels on the ground.
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    There is a gear mod available that doubles (If I remember correctly) the gear down of low range. Or it might have gone farther down than that. Anyway, people have done that mod, and while the transfer case is out there is a pin to remove that will allow 2WD Low range which would be good for pulling a big float in a parade. I had the instructions for that once but I can't remember where I put it.
    Why not go all the way, there's a supercharger for the 3.5L that costs something like $2800 and gives more torque at lower speed.
    The front end lift u were talkin about takes 30 min at most. There is a spring tensioner that you can adjust and get 2/3 inches. Im going to do it and put some 3 inch spacers on the rear perches with some 32" bfg m/t's on it and see how it does. if its not good enough, ill find an old gm front axle and ......
    What bolt pattern fits on these axles?? :confuse:
    Jesse3, the addition of 3" spacers lift in the rear is not needed for 32" tires. I suggest going with rear coild springs from OME, their stiffest version will give 2.5" lift I think (medium and lighter versions give 1.5" or so.), and with the OME shocks that match, you will be able to get more travel, at least the shocks will not limit the travel. The OME are unique in their progressiveness, they have tuned their shocks and spring to work together to provide a nice smooth comfortable ride on the way to the trail and lots of durability and stiffness for off road. The springs and shocks are innexpensive and they seem to last the life of the Trooper (I have put 100K miles on OME suspension and it still works as new).
    http://www.arbusa.com/coil_springs.htm
    http://www.arbusa.com/Nitrocharger.htm
    The higher you lift the worse your MPG, not a good 4wd if you can't get there and still have some fuel left for fun off road. With the OME suspension you will enjoy the nice ride on your way to the trails better than any other set.
    IMHO, the best offroad setup for performance and good looks would be the OME medium or stiff rear coil springs and shocks and sway away torsion bars up front and 285/75R16 Bridgestone Dueler AT/Revos which are 33" (No need for mudders, unless you never drive on road and all of your affroad is very loose mud, mudder tires don't do well on road in rain or snow, except rare deep fluffly snow maybe), no spacers needed. I think spacers make the 4x4 rig look like a hack job compared to taller springs that may allow more wheel travel.
    Anyone else noticed their 4X4 drivetrain making a 'buzz' sound when you let off the accelerator and coast? It almost sounds like a valve tapping on the 95-97' model Troopers that had that 'ticking' noise due to lifter problems. It's not very loud but it seems to be getting more noticable. I think something has shifted slightly and the 4wheel drive shift lever is bumping against something on the undercarriage. Just thought I'd ask if anyone else has experienced this, and fixed it.

I'll know more about the mpg results after installing my 'gizmo' ,......... tomorrow.
    I had a low rough idle occationally, and the buzz like sound described by bsmart1. The buzz was a once in a while thing for about six months ending a year ago, I did nothing to solve that. Today I did get the CEL (Check Enging Light) and so took it in to Creech Imports for the code. Turned out that the EGR valve was sticking open, which had a big effect at low RPMs and caused rough idle. My EGR valve was the original black one, they replaced it with an upgraded silver model, and cleaned out the intake manifold where some carbon had built up. They said they have not had a silver one fail yet and the EGR valve is a common replacement. The problem is solved. I wonder, since the EGR valve is a solenoid, if it might have been making that buzz long ago, then stopped as it continued to fail slowly.
  • mpelmpel Member Posts: 23
    1999 Trooper LS in Tulsa - Just had oil changed and the fella recommended a Power Steering Flush that would run $60 ... and also said the rear differential needed new fluid, for about $23...I think.

Being fairly ignorant and too lazy to research my owners book...is this legit? Anyone....? Bueller...?

Thanks
    i didnt mean swampers or crazy tires like that. i meant tires similar to the dueler m/t. id put dueler a/ts but i dont wanna get stuck in the mud. georgia mud is beast cause its all clay and sand. you should check out the bfg a/ts. they grip better in the mud than duelers.
    In my opinion the Dueler Revo will have as good mud traction than the BFG A/T TKOs and the Revos will be much better in rain and ice and a lot quieter. Just my opinion, I think the TKOs are outdated in tread design, they overdue for a major change, but the TKO is very popular so will be available for long time.
    I ran a set of Revos through a very muddy (10" deep or so) off road trail and never slipped a tire. I was being carefull not to worry my wife and kids who were aboard for their first serious off road "Car Hiking" as my kids called it.
    It would be great if you can buy both TKOs and Revos and test them both then report back. Kind of expensive for such an experiment.
    Check out TireRack for best tire comparisons I can find:
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT
    OK, as promised earlier I'm posting the results of the latest attempt to improve the mpg of my 99' Performance Package 4X4 Trooper.
    The 'gizmo' is called a vortex generator. It is a totally passive device that you install in the intake air hose between the mass flow meter and the throttle body. The idea is to improve fuel/air mixture and cause the computer to 'lean' out the fuel a bit.
    Does it work?? Yes, but not as well as I had hoped. I've only driven 'city' miles since installing it, so I don't know what the highway mpg affect is going to be.
    I can report a solid 1 mpg improvement in city mileage so far. I'm not sure the computer has finished its adjustments. The improvement in performance off the line is slightly noticable, nothing to write home about. It was recommended to disconnect from the battery for about an hour after installing the vortex generator. I did not do that, but may now.
    This device was found on Ebay and is very inexpensive at the time.
    After I make my next 'road trip' I'll post the mpg results for that type of driving.
    i could have told you that the vortex thing woldnt work. it wont make enough difference to pay for itself for probably 2 years. sorry :)
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    One of my pet peeves...chain oil change places quoting need for scheduled services...using the rough service schedule and leaving out that info. This is the first I've heard about a Power Steering Flush. Rear diff. might be legit. How many miles do you have on the Trooper? What does the owner's manual show for maintenance?

Most of the additional things they push on un-aware customers are to enhance their sales, not meet your required maintenance schedule. This is part of the program put out by the chain management... IMHO they almost border on fraud the way they push their analysis of the manufacture's ROUGH service schedule as THE service schedule for vehicles.

I would probably not do the Power Steering unless it is showing some signs that the service is needed. I might consider the rear diff service if it has been 30-50,000 miles since you had this done.
    Jesse, had you already tried one??
    Let's see... 1 mpg divided by 15 mpg/city is 0.067% times 2.50/gal. fuel, equals about 16 cents a gallon savings. Take that times 20 gallons per tank, equals 3.35. Now divide that into 24.95 and it looks like it will pay for itself after about 8 tanks of gas. Now if mileage is improved by twice that amount on the highway, it pays for itself a bit sooner.

So, I'd say it wasn't a BAD investment. Anxious to see how much difference it makes in highway mpg.
  • max29max29 Member Posts: 1
    After having the vehicle towed to the dealer service dept,I have been told my 98 Trooper LS needs a new engine (123,000 miles) Is this to be expected?
    I am now being told that it was a lack of oil, though I had it changed 5,000 miles ago and have done all required service. 1) Is there any recourse against Isuzu/dealer (has there been a re-call etc.)? The dealer mechanic tells me it is $7000-$7700 for a new engine (of course I will get a 2nd opinion)but that he is willing to pay me $200! Since the ski rack and tires/wheels are worth more than this-I'm not sure what to do-I think the value is in the $6,500 range. Even with a re-built engine installed, is this worth it?
  • thudythudy Member Posts: 2
    I bought my 1996 trooper on 78k miles this summer.
    When I purchased it, I brought it to the ISUZU dealer.
    They told me this vehicle is in good shape, maybe never off-road before. Howerver, there is something flaws:
    1. the power steering pump leaking;
    2. engine oil leaking;
    3. need to change the CV-boot;
    4. frant bearing loosing.

For prob 1: I rebuilt the power steering pump and it stopped leaking. The power steering system works well, but sames the power steering wheel doesn't stay stable at the center point. A little loosing.

For prob 2:I changed the engine oil cooler gasket, it stopped leaking.

For prob 3: I changed all the four CV-boots, and no whimper
    while I make a turn.

For prob 4: I paid 265$ to fix it.

But after I changed CV-boots, there are some new problem come out.
    1. Sometimes "buzz" when I hit the accelerator, after a little while it goes away. This comes out especiallly after I turn right.
    2. Sometimes the brake shakes, especiallly after I turn on the engine and start to shift transmission.

Some tech. told me the "buzz" comes from the muffler, something loosing inside the muffler. About the brake, may need a bleeding. (when I pull out the balljoint to take off the cv boot, the arms flipped out the brake pad assembly. Maybe this cause the air into the vacuum pipe.)
  • green11green11 Member Posts: 22
    I own a 99 Trooper Limited and have had it since about 74K miles. I have had no problems, other than needing to add oil as most others on the board, and my MPG seems to be on the low side. I seem to be adding less oil now with synthetic oil. I have things on my wish list like new shocks which I need, and new tires which I want, but these will have to wait for now.

I am unsure of previous service and I am only at 92K right now, but I am thinking I should probably do some maintenance soon as I plan to keep this thing around for awhile.

What would you recommend? (any other fluids, belts, flushes, battery etc)

I figure spark plugs, and change transmission fluid but beyond that I am unsure of what I need to do, should do, or only do if it really needs it.

Also should I try to find a local mechanic that will put in parts I buy, or would I be better off taking it to the dealer?
    green11,
    I recommend doing a brake fluid flush (add new fluid and bleed brakes till the new fluid comes out at each wheel) every year or two, since the ability to stop is important to me. The brake fluid flush helps prevent rust and preserve seals in the brake system.
    I highly recommend the OME shocks from http:\\www.ArbUSA.com for a comfortable ride and greater control even on bad bumps. The OME shocks seem to last a very long time.
    Use a local machanic especially one you trust and it helps if they have worked on Isuzus before. The local mechanic will be less expensive and get the job done with less waiting than a dealer. Dealers are needed for warrantee work.
    max29,
    There is no logical or sound financial reason to put that much money into your Trooper. However, if you are emotionally attached to it, go for it.
    Consider a used 2001 or 2002 Trooper, or a 2004 Axiom or Rodeo with the direct fuel injected engine which has more power and more MPG. Put your used Trooper on Ebay for a while and see if you get a good bid.
  • supatroopersupatrooper Member Posts: 1
    Unfortunately I have just blown my Troopers Turbo, does anyone know where I can get the best buy replacement. OR if a turbo from a 3.0 turbo diesel will fit. Mine is a 1992 3.1 td duty.
    Thanks ST
  • cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    The timing belt should be changed at 105K miles on my '02. Wouldn't this also apply to 99s?
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    I have a '00 Trooper LS. I'll have to check the manual, but IIRC the timing belt change is 90K miles for the '00 so there could be some difference in various years.
    yeah, if you've got between 80-100K miles on it, it should be changed. I wouldn't risk pushing it too far past this, you don't wanna ruin an engine over a couple hundred dollar belt change. Engines are running 7-8K dollars now.
  • yngveyngve Member Posts: 12
    I thought these (3.5L) were non-interferance engines (read, no major harm if the timing belt goes).
    SYJ
    Even if the timing belt breaking might not do catastrophic damage to the engine, the time and place it breaks might cause you to lose a vacation or have to pay large towing bills and a rental car bill if the mechanic can't do it right away.
    Its always best to maintain rather than respond to failure.
  • tjandatjanda Member Posts: 3
    I love my 1995 trooper I just bought. But It has a problem with (I think) air/gas mixture, hesitates when i get to 45-50 mph, the gas filter was just replaced, oil also, and the air filter is clean. Does anybody have any suggestions?????
    Toni Janda
    It could still be a lack of fuel getting there. Make sure gas cap is on tight for recirc to work properly. Try a once a year fuel additive to clean the injectors:
    http://www.redlineoil.com/products_fueladditives.asp
    http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=54
    Install a clean air filter or a K&N replacement air filter the kind that fits the stock filter box easier breathing helped out power and less hesitation too.
    http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=33-2064
    You could have spark plugs that need changing or spark plug wires. It is very easy to take out spark plugs on a 1995 Trooper, so take one out to inspect it. A good working spark plug will be clean and dry and probably a tan color. If you decide to change plugs and/or plug wires consider a kit from http://www.directhits.com/contact.html ask for a complete kit with low resistance wires and non-resistor plugs, your performance will be better in a couple ways: 1.) smoother running and much more torque especially at higher RPMs good for passing or towing. 2.) quicker response to your request for power - less hesitation. Your MPG will go up very slightly if you are a gentle driver or more if your MPG now is low because you are an agressive driver using those top RPMs often. Your engine computer will re-time your ignition a little more advanced, so it is important to reset the computer after you install the DirectHits. I had a 1995 Trooper and went from 9.9mpg towing to 11.2mpg towing, and my normal mpg went up about 1mpg.
    Other modifications I enjoyed on my 1995 Trooper include the OME suspension rear coil springs and all four shocks.
    how important is my EGR valve to my 96 troopers life
    If the EGR valve sticks open your Trooper will not idle at all, problem is worse in cold weather. I just had my EGR valve replaced, my 2001 Trooper was idling rough and the CEL came on. The EGR valve was around $230 and the install was about the same amount because the install invloves much time to clean out carbon deposits so the new valve can operate properly. Also the repalcement EGR valve is silver while the original is black, I'm told the design has changed a bit for the better. EGR valves are supposed to last the life of the engine. Sometimes we're not that lucky. The EGR valve is a genuine GM part.
  • f4phantomiif4phantomii Member Posts: 11
    Which fuel filter was just replaced? If it was just the in-line filter located beneath the rear passenger door, you may still have a problem.

Mine was doing almost exactly the same thing, only it got worse the less fuel was in the tank. I replaced the inline filter and it didn't make any difference. There is also a filter screen on the fuel pump located inside the fuel tank.

I removed the fuel tank, and replaced both the fuel pump and the inlet filter screen. The pump was about $80 and the inlet filter screen was $15. I'm glad I paid the extra $15 to get the filter screen. I almost didn't.

When I took it out, it was pretty filthy and was clearly impeding fuel flow. It might have just been the filter that was causing the problem, but might as well change the fuel pump while I was in there.

It took me about half a day to remove the tank, replace the pump/filter, and replace it.

Now my Trooper drives like it was new.

-Michael
  • 98itroop98itroop Member Posts: 1
    Hello I'm new here if someone can help I'd appreciate it very much. Here goes, my 98 Trooper is making all sorts of noises. First it was just a like a rubbing or scraping noise. But now its like a cling clang noise, it sounds like something is falling apart! This is the weird part when I hit the brakes the pedal kind of shakes. But all four brakes have been replaced and it still makes the noises! HELP PLEASE!!!
    well my cel is on and the codes say its my egr valve. it idles well but it clicks sometimes and gets HORRIBLE fuel mileage. i was told tthat you could just clean oout the old one and have the codes reset so im gonna do that and save 230 dolars plus installation :shades:
  • stephenson1stephenson1 Member Posts: 1
    My '99 Trooper Perf. has performed flawlessly for 85,000 miles. However, I recently noticed it seemed to take longer than usual to come out of TOD when I switched it off (back wheel indicator lights flashing too long before going to steady glow).

Then, I noticed that when I would start the truck up and start driving, the back wheels on the TOD display would flash for awhile, and then go to a steady glow. It would do this even if I hadn't used TOD recently. As time went on it took longer and longer to get the steady glow, and finally it started taking so long the red check light would flash.

When I hit the TOD button, the red check light goes out and the TOD functions normally. Then, when I turn the button back off again same problem -- flashing back wheel lights and eventually the red check light.

Help!!!
  • mbigginsmbiggins Member Posts: 3
    Got a great deal on a 94 trooper paid $120 bucks for it. I bought it from a guy who just wanted to get rid of it. He said it was having tranny problems. I drove it home and the tranny did not seem to be slipping. It runs great other than there is a whining sound when I drive it. It also smells like the tranny fluid is running hot but the tranny light does not come on. Any suggestions of what this might be. The trooper has 173000 miles on it. :sick: :sick:
    Thank you very much Yngve. I will have this checked out.Tjanda
    Micheal thanks for the info, I will check in to this also. tjanda