Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• sdavitosdavito Member Posts: 71
    I’m also interested in the auxiliary A/C fan for my 2000 Trooper. Do you have a specific link to the ITOG site that talks about the fan in the 2001?

IMO the Trooper A/C sucks! I'm in Florida, which actually dosen't often get much over 90°. I can't imagine living in the desert with this truck.

David
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    You guys are funny. I'm here in NY and it's like 95degrees with 95% humidity for the past week, and my troopers been cool as anything. I even left a cooler in it for 24hrs w/o turning on the trooper and there was still cold soda in it afterward.

The only thing I have different than stock is that the 2 front windows are tinted to 35%.

-mike
  • troopernewbietroopernewbie Member Posts: 60
    I read the ITOG stuff. Just go to the current discussions and it isn't too hard to find. There was no real info though. Someone just made the suggestion to add an aux. fan like the newer Troopers have and that was it.

Personally I'd like to see about two blower fan speeds above what's there. I don't think the volume of air coming out of the vents is enough for the size of the interior. When sitting in the back seat it's hard to detect any airflow at all except in the center.
    What I do is push the center vents so that the air flows back between the 2 front seats so that it circulates to the rear. You could also probably get a small cigarette lighter powered fan to put between the 2 front seats to draw even more air to the rear section. Just some ideas.

-mike
  • cdanschwartzcdanschwartz Member Posts: 23
    Hi,

I've put about 100 miles on my new Trooper S 4x4 automatic since I picked it up. I have a few questions for anyone who knows.

I ordered the Hidden Hitch from JC Whitney. I also ordered the wiring kit. Was that a mistake? Should I have bought the Isuzu wiring kit?

Will the hitch affect handling? After all, it is located behind the rear axle.

What other GM vehicles use the French BW trans that is used in the Trooper?

I have some light scratches on the windshield from the wiper blades. I guess they were a bit hard. Is there any way to remove them? Once I heard that you could use comet. Any other ideas?

The steering wheel is not perfectly straight. But the truck is not pulling as far as I can tell. Should I ask the dealer to do an alignment?

Finally, how do you check the level of the ATF in the trans? There is no dipstick.

Thanks,

Charles
  • gpm5gpm5 Member Posts: 785
    Well its not like a car in that it takes longer to cool down. Whenever I'm in 90-100 deg heat I usually wind down the windows first to get the 120 deg heat out of the interior then I turn on the AC. After the hot air blows out of the ducts I close the windows. My trooper is black and if it sits in the sun there is a huge difference as compared to in the garage with how it cools initially.
    1) Hidden Hitch Rocks! Along with the adapter. Total time should be 1hr to install.

2) Handling will not be effected. The % of weight that the hitch is (like 50lbs max) compared to the 4600lb truck is negligible.

3)ATF doesn't need to get checked, hence no dipstick. Basically I think ever 50K miles you should have it drained and filled, that's about it.

4) If it's not out of alignment I wouldn't mess with it. Dealers in general aren't the greatest places in the world and you don't want to visit them for repairs unless entirely necessary.

5) http://www.gmpowertrain.com/transmissions/4l30_main.htm will show you other vehicles that use our Tranny. BMW Z3 Roadster, Holden Commodore, Caddy Catera

-mike

• jimmyp1jimmyp1 Member Posts: 640
    I live in Houston, and it's HOT and HUMID here. I find the A/C to be acceptable. I have noticed the drop in coolness when at idle, but I have noticed that in every car I've owned. Regarding the ITOG discussions, there were a couple other posts that offered suggestions that I thought were very valuable. Make sure the A/C is set to recirculate, and, for the rear passengers, make sure you haven't blocked the vents under the seats (which I was guilty of - w/ CD cases and 2 1/2 year old's toys). My windows are tinted failry dark, but I don't know the percentages. Good luck!

Jim
  • montanabill2montanabill2 Member Posts: 36
    Hey paisan - thanks for the testimonial - 5 guys - plus 5200 lb trailer - plus gear - what more could you ask for? - I want one so bad I can taste it - test drove a limited with the little woman and we loved it - now I need to sell a two door tahoe - which I also love - but that boxy plain jane look of the trooper is sexy as hell - made in japan also appeals to my engineering heritage. I'm a detail kind of person and the trooper was loaded with all sorts of thoughful quality gizmos. If only i could get on that who wants to be a millionare show and collect some easy money. Well time to call the paper and post my tahoe - I'm on a mission.
    Keep us informed as to your Trooper status. The Crew over here will keep you up to date on all the goodies. Be sure to checkout http://isuzu-suvs.com for tons of other cool stuff!

-mike

• centralcentral Member Posts: 51
    Kind of wondering out loud here but doesn't the hitch ever so slightly improve the handling? It is after all a very sturdy piece of steel tying the two sides of the vehicle together tending to stiffen the frame in effect and reducing body roll.

As to checking the ATF, it is a pain. You do it with the engine running and remove a pan plug and the level is correct if the fluid just drips out. At a minimum make sure if you see any ATF drips below the vehicle you check the transmission level (and the TOD as it too uses ATF).
  • raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    If you appreciate the gizmos in the cabin, take a look in the engine compartment, then look where the Trooper really shines, "undercarriage". This truck is engineered very well for the cost.
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Member Posts: 377
    You guys new to these Troopers are in for a real treat. These trucks ROCK! As stated previously, they are built ISUZU tough, NOT Ford tough. For those with new engines; if you look back about post # 1200-1300 you'll see a lot of talk about oil consumption. This is a known fact with the Trooper, but if you would like to avoid or minimize your chance of having the same problem, drive the truck real "hard" after you get past the break-in mileage. This helps seat the rotating parts in quicker and "hardens" surfaces better in the early life of the engine. Its proven to improve engine life and reduce oil consumption in the long run. You'll have to sacrifice some gas mileage during that time, but for the long term life of the vehicle its well worth it!

On the A/C issue, theres no doubt the system is marginal for the size of the Trooper. Those of you having good results in really hot climates, are the exception to the rule. Be Happy :). Its imperative that your freon be fully charged and cooling radiator be clear of blockage. Check your freon dryer with the A/C running. Theres a small window in the top that you can see the fluid through. It should appear clear shortly after turning the A/C on. It may appear foamy for a minute or so initially, but then should run clear. This is a indication of a proper freon charge. That radiator fan clutch has gotta be working right as well for proper A/C performance. The recirc mode is the right answer for low air flows, and dropping the windows to let that latent heat out of the cabin is right on target as well. Its a lot of cabin volume to cool down when the temps interior climb to 130F. The thing I don't understand, is why does the blower fan almost shut down while your accelerating the vehicle? It returns when you reach your cruise speed. Anybody got the answer to that?

One last question. On the 2000-2001 Troopers, how do you tell what model it is (S, LS, LTD) if there is no labeling on the exterior?
  • sboykin1sboykin1 Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I are planning a trip from Washington DC to Mobile , Alabama. My son says borrow his Sienna and save myself some real pain. I have a 99 Trooper S I that I love. Should I take the Trooper or the Sienna. I have noticed some excessive play in my steering wheel that service has not been able to correct. I leaning toward taking the Sienna. What would you do. The trip will be about 2000 miles door to door including a stop in Birmingham.

Steve
    Just guessing, but what you described with the fan sounds like it's somehow related to manifold vaccuum? At a quick glance, the way I can tell the difference between models, is the mirrors. The "S" has Black, the "LS" has colored and the "LTD" has chrome.
  • fiveharpersfiveharpers Member Posts: 53
    You are asking an Isuzu Owners Club if they would choose a Sienna minivan over a Trooper for anything? ;-)
    1200+ miles in the Trooper :) NY->NC->NY Yum Yum Good, even posted 17.5mpg @ 80-90mph!

S: Black Mirrors, Rims are not mesh, lower cladding is "moonmist", no tinted factory windows in rear, AM/FM Antenna on the pass side, no arm rests, no fog lights

LS: Mesh Wheels, Body Colored Mirrors, No Lower 2-tone color, Body color for entire truck, Fog Lights.

LS Anniversary Edition: Pearl White, Pearl White Rims

Limited: Multimeter in overhead, 2-tone with moonmist on bottom, non-mesh wheels, except on the Gold package, which gives you mono-tone and mesh wheels.

My A/C on the 2000 Trooper does not kick down the fan speed at all even on heavy acceleration (and as some of you know I usually do that often) that could be a reason for the better cooling? Also I always use the auto-temp feature and the recirc.

-mike
    Is this moonmist on the S a new thing--what years? My '99 is two tone paint.

AC in the 90+ heat/humidity did lose a little cooling efficiency at an idle at a long stop light.
    In 2000 and 2001, they are 2 tone, with the bottom 1/2 being moonmist and the rest of the vehicle being whatever color it is.

I had the A/C Cranking on the trail crawling @ very slow speeds as well as bumper to bumper traffic, w/o a problem.

-mike
  • sdavitosdavito Member Posts: 71
    My complaint is how long that it takes to cool the cab - eventually the a/c will cool the cab.

I asked the dealer about checking my a/c on my next visit, he replied that he would, but seriously doubted that they would find anything wrong. He said that quite a few new Trooper owners think that something is wrong with the a/c, but they always check out OK.

David
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    There is a lot of interior volume to cool, more than a Durango! And a lot more glass to induce the greenhouse effect...I don't use the AC for short trips, too much volume to cool in time to matter. It does fine for longer trips, however.

Of course, in Minnesota the AC is of no concern for half the year :) I did notice that I didn't see any black vehicles when I visited Phoenix...whereas my black Trooper is an asset here because the snow/ice melts off sooner......
  • cwmosercwmoser Member Posts: 227
    If you are planning on a 2000 mile trip and you have a choice of the Toyota Sienna or the Isuzu Trooper, my advise is to take the Sienna if you don't plan any off road activities.

My wife has a 1999 Sienna and I have a 1999 Trooper and we always take the Sienna on long road trips. Recently we drove from NC to South Florida in the Sienna and it was a very relaxing trip. I would think that the Trooper would be tiring after a while. Main reasons for the Sienna are: Smoother ride, better fuel economy, and more interior storage.

Another suggestion - pack a cooler and tell the wife that you want to "picnic" at rest stops. Much cheaper and more pleasant experience - I find it much less stressful too.
    bsmart1, you say to drive the Trooper real hard in order to avoid Oil Consumption, I've babied mine all its 26,000 mile life and it does not use any oil. I wonder if there is some other common denominator that affects oil consumption? Could it be going easy on the engine the first couple thousand miles?
    I burned about 1Q ever 1500 miles on mine, and I broke it in hard. I think it just depends on the truck you get.

-mike
  • troopernewbietroopernewbie Member Posts: 60
    Yeah, it's sad that the A/C is so inadequate on such a great vehicle. Fix that and give me a few degrees of tilt on the base of the front seats and I'd be perfectly happy with the Trooper.

We only have another month of the really silly heat (105-115 degrees) here and things will be much better. I may talk to some of the A/C shops here and see if they have any suggestions. I'd be surprised if my wife will do another summer in the Trooper without some improvement.

White cars (like my Trooper) definitely outnumber anything else here in Phoenix. Black cars are pretty rare and from what I understand, hard to sell. Dark tint is just a fact of life here.
  • tntmythtntmyth Member Posts: 70
    Paisan.....I have a 2001 Trooper S with the Moonmist on top and Silver on the bottom. Most of the S models have silver on the bottom and the main color at the top (black, red, green, moonmist, etc.) The only one with Moonmist on the bottom is the Silver Trooper. I am pretty sure about this because I agonized over whether to get the Silver or Moonmist.

I also have a steering wheel which is not straight. Also problably slightly out of alignment. The dealer here in So. Fla area is will fix it for free. One time only. I have an appointment on friday. I don't think I have anything to fear from the dealer since I bought Isuzu's 7-year 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.

My AC is holding up pretty well here in Florida. Can get a little warm if sitting idle. It helps alot to have the AC set on "recirculate". Strangely enough, for the front seat passengers, the air coming out of the vents SEEMS to be colder if it is NOT on full blast. Also I notice that the air is colder if you lower the temperature all the way to 65 degrees instead of leaving it higher, like at 75 degrees. Maybe just my imagination. Well at any time, if it seems unacceptable, I will get just tints to solve the problem. For the time being, I am just enjoying that excellent clear visibility I have with the big windows and mirrors, something I never had in the cars I have owned. Not sure I want to effect that with the tints.
  • randers3randers3 Member Posts: 19
    Recently had Tranny fluid changed to Mobil Synthetic ATF. Change was done with the T-tech transfer, which pumps old tranny fluid out as new fluid is added. When you start to see the new fluid coming out of tranny, the fluid change is complete. Here is where it gets interesting. After driving around awhile the tranny chattered going into first gear. When taking off very slow and babying it the tranny was just fine. If you got on it at all it would chatter and search for first gear. Took it back to the dealer and they found the tranny was two quarts low of fluid. I asked the dealer at what point does the check transmission light come on due to low fluids. He said that the check light runs off of heat. So when the tranny heats up pass the acceptable limit the light comes on and appropiate measures are then taken. The amount of fluid in your tranny makes no difference at all in regards to the Check Tranny light coming on. The bigger question I had is how can my transmission be two quarts low as I stood right there and watched him do the entire fluid change. Seems that the mechanic got a little busy and the T tech reservoir ran dry and he didn't turn it off right away, therefore running fluid out of the tranny and not adding on the front end. The important lessons here are to manually check the fluid level after every service, even though the system seems foolproof. After adding the two quarts the transmission runs fine.
  • erinsquarederinsquared Member Posts: 178
    Randers3, I feel for you man. I can tell you're the kind of person that takes care of your stuff and there is nothing more frustrating than an incompetent service tech This is one of the reason's why I tackle some of the easier maintenance jobs myself - since I actually save more time than going through the hassle of getting a service appointment and arranging drop off/pickup at the dealership. Unfortunately, GM does not make it easy to service their transmission and there is a lot of fluids held in these transmissions to spill on the driveway (don't ask how I know ;). I too am planning to change the fluid over to Mobil 1 ATF soon. I have one of those fluid pumps. Has anyone found a way to use a fluid pump to siphon the transmission fluid and then replenish?
    There may be a writeup on http://isuzu-suvs.com either in the FAQ or the How-to.

-mike

Its too bad how these poor service jobs happen regularly. One hopes that things are done correctly but maybe half the time they aren't. It does end up being a waste of time. Unfortunately on the tranny, there is not a dipstick to do a quick check. Conman commented to me that he got an oil change to Mobile 1 and they left it about an 8th low. Someone else posted here that on one truck they left a diff dry. I know someone where an oil service shop never put oil in his engine and he ran it that way for several days. That's why I'm so paranoid about an alignment being done correctly as well.
    Thes poor service experiences I've heard from all makes, models, dealers, from Yugos to Lexi to MB.

-mike
    You must have the base S model, because the drivers seat base tilts on my 99 Performance Package (equivelant to the middle option package in 00 and 01). The shotgun seat does not tilt, however.

I remember when I was looking at Troopers I drove an S model and found the driving position very uncomfortable...was about to give up on a new Trooper and walk away, then decided to ask about the seats. The salesman suggested the Perf Package seats ("8-way adjustable", you know). The ability to tilt the seat base made all the difference! And so here I am with a Trooper...

None of which helps you, I know...unless by some amazing stroke of luck you locate such an adjustable seat in a boneyard or something...
    In about 10 years he'll see the seats for current model troopers @ junk yards :)

-mike
    You can get them now, if you live in the right place.

http://copartfinder.com/cgi-bin/model.dtw/part
    sdc2 - your comment about seats in the Trooper "S" reminded me when I was looking at the Troopers. The newer Troopers always caught my eye and I remembered how tough they were as I had a 1989 older Trooper. I went to the Isuzu dealer and test drove a white "S" Trooper and immediately sensed that I could not live with the seat not having an armrest. I walked away thinking I would not be back. I almost bought a Chrysler T&C van and later learned, probably on this forum, that higher end Troopers have nicer seats. I rode thru the lot at the dealership and my eye caught a Red Trooper that looked different. I test drove it and noted that the seats were exactly what I wanted. A few days later I was the owner of a 1999 Trooper with Luxury package and thus seats with armrests.

Isuzu corporate - if you are reading this forum, making "S" models without armrests was really a "penny-wise but pound-foolish" decision. Still, the Trooper is an amazing vehicle and I have not regreted the purchase of my Trooper.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Seems like I remember reading about bull bars in one of the Isuzu discussions.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

In 2001 the S model now has arm rests.

-mike
    There are aproximately a few 100 actual bull bars that are being talked about in that article in use in this country. They cost around $800-$1000 to purchase and install. The dinky bars that the SUVs here in the US have, are just for show, they provide almost no protection at all, and do actually give, bending into the front end and doing more damage than if you didn't have them!

-mike
    Some of the subaru guys are wrapping their A/C pipes to provide more cooling. Check out the Subaru Owner's club for more info.

-mike
  • lovingpclovingpc Member Posts: 34
    The "thermostat" on the trooper AC works a lot like your home thermostat. If you put it on 65 degrees, it's just going to push the maximum amount of air until the computer says "stop, it's now 65 degrees". There is no way for an automotive, or most home ac systems to blow "colder air" or "warmer air". The air goes through the chiller unit, and it is the volume of air moved that the thermostate controls.

It does make sense to put your thermostat all the way down to 65 to get maximum cooling - you'll be pushing the maximum volume of air. If the recirc doesn't come on when you do this, press it manually. It increases the air volume too.

Opening the windows for a minute will help to.

I've found the AC okay - I had it checked last summer and they said the coolant was full, and the system checked out. I do have some of those big "truck style" spring shades that are silver on the outside. They hold themselves between the window and the molding inside the car just right. Back windows have factory tint, front are clear.

Living in Tennessee - in the mid 90's now and humid.

Andy
    00 LTD 2WD
    I always wondered about these things. Correct me if I'm wrong but, according to the owners manual in most cars, the airbag sensor and is in the bumper and is designed to deploy at 35-40 mph. Therefore, if you mount one to your frame and get into a crash, you've just raised the point of deployment to 40+ mph depending on the tube diameter, wall thickness and bend radii. Any thoughts?
    I thought airbags were triggered more by a g-force detector in the cabin rather than by sensors around the fenders. This article on Smart Airbags doesn't really clue me in much. Where's paisan?

Steve
    Host

• sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    Cost: 4x4connection had the best price I found, sub $600.

Installation: I did it myself (I didn't have a winch to wire up which made it easier). It took a couple of weekends of prep work, sizing up that all of the bolts that came with it weren't exactly right, getting a breaker bar, etc. The install took all Saturday.

Air Bags: I have a letter from ARB stating that they tested and that it is compliant with SRS air bags. Testing was done in Australia by "monash university" with ARB.

Result: Cool. I have since mounted lights and a custom fishing rack (only for beach use not full time). No wind noise or problems. You can stand on it. It dropped the front ride height of my truck about 3/8". The truck is now 33 1/8" front and 33 5/8" rear.
    I eventually plan on adding a winch, this bar seems like the best thing out there to support this application. I wouldn't say it is necessary for brush bashing, but it does a great job of it and protects off-road. As far as the deaths and the stuff in Europe, I didn't know about it nor consider it when purchasing. My truck definitely feels safer.
    I think I blew it on this one. Here's what the owners manual says "The airbag is designed to inflate in moderate to severe frontal or near-frontal crashes. If the frame or suspension strikes hard against an obstacle on the roadway, the airbag may sometimes inflate. (which leads to your theory about sensors) The airbag will only inflate if the velosity of the impact is above the designed threshold level. When impacting straight into a wall that does not move or deform, the threshold level is between 9 and 15 mph. However, this velosity threshold may be several miles-per-hour faster or slower. In addition, this threshold velosity will be considerably higher if the vehicle strikes an object such as a parked car which will move and deform on impact" My apologies, sorry for the confusion gang.
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Member Posts: 377
    The temperature of air coming out the vents is dependent on the amount of air flow as well as the charge of freon in the system. Wrapping the freon pipes downstream of the condenser coil is a GOOD idea! It conserves the cooling that has taken place before it goes the evaporator coil. If you're wondering which pipes to wrap, just feel around for the COLD ones and wrap as much of them as you can reach. Nice reminder! If you slow down your blower fan you will get cooler air out the vents, because you're not pulling as large a volume of air across the evaporator coil, and it has more time to cool down. I've measured the temperatures with fan at max and at next to max, and there was about a 5F difference. This will not be as noticable if the cabin is completely cooled down and you're in the recirc mode. It is VERY noticable if you are pulling fresh air in from outside.

As for those flat seats in the S Trooper, there is an inexpensive fix that can get you some tilt on the seat. I did this in my 1988 for the same reason; it didn't support my thighs very well down toward the back of my knees. I found some slightly longer seat mounting bolts, and some appropriately sized flat washers. I used the flat washers under the front edge of the seat mount, to raise it to the tilt I wanted and installed the longer mounting bolts. This proved to work quite well on the older Trooper. I'm not sure about the mounting configuration on your model, it might be worth a look. Happy Trooping!! ;-)
    Thanks for digging that out. I always thought there were sensors out near the bumpers (and maybe they are/have been). Still sounds like there has to be an impact, which explains why airbags don't generally deploy in a roll-over.

Steve
    Host

That's a good idea, especially if one person is going to be driving it most of the time, you can adjust it to suit the primary driver. Once you get the tilt where you like it, you won't need to change it...
    ouch!
    My A/C unit seems to change the temp of the air coming out, when I put it near 75, it's warmer than when it's at 65. I find the recirc is great and always leave it in that (also helps keep the cabin cleaner)

The airbags for the past 5-7 years from what I've been told is basically a glas vial with some kind of weight inside it. If the weight breaks the glass, then the air-bags deploy. So no matter what bumpers you put on, won't be a problem.

-mike