Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper

Comments

• masbamamasbama Member Posts: 6
    Thanks about the CD players. I forgot about Crutchfield. I'll let you know what happens.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    You can probably get a Limited for around $28K + TTL. I don't think they'll go much lower than that. Also an LS for around $26K +TTL.

Cobbo: Since we have a drive by wire system, the sensor probably broke. I wouldn't worry about it so long as they fix it. I pout 25K on my trooper the first year, although now, almost 2 months into the 2nd year, I have only put on about 1500miles since I want this truck to last for it will be irreplaceable! :(

-mike
  • erinsquarederinsquared Member Posts: 178
    Unless you are worried about resale down the road, I say you should drive the dog out of your Troopers. Whose to say you can't get more than 200K+ miles out of your drivetrain because it sounds like they can do this easy from people's past experiences. Approaching two years of ownership with only one trip to dealer to replace a cracked ac vent (ok, these are cheap plastic parts - but still replaced under warranty).
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    Gotta love those "advances" in technology! I'm glad my 99 has the old-fashioned accelerator cable that, I can safely predict, will NEVER break, unlike that high-tech drive-by-wire system...
  • kobokokoboko Member Posts: 34
    I started my Trooper this morning and it fired right up, then suddenly the rpm dropped drastically and engine started stalling and i thought it would shut off, but then the rpm shot up over 2000 and then came back to normal. It drove fine after that. I only have 560 miles on it and was wondering whether this is "normal behavior" and has anybody else experienced it? It's the first time its done this by the way. Didn't seem right to me. Comments/suggestions would be welcome. Thanks...
  • tistevetisteve Member Posts: 142
    I am looking at a '95 Trooper S in real nice condition, only 45K on the odo. BUT, it doesn't have power windows or locks (twas an option way back in '95). Is it possible to retro fit the power components from one out of a junk yard maybe? It would make this vehicle a bit more liveable.
  • 99trooper99trooper Member Posts: 87
    koboko..my 1998 Trooper S did that a couple times over the span of a year. My 1999 Trooper Ltd has never done THAT specifically, but yesterday it did something really strange..

I was pulling into a parking lot, and just idling as I coasted around looking for a spot and the AC started gettting warmer. What I realized was that the Trooper was idling at around 500rpm, whereas it normally idles at about 800. i guess the AC compressor kicks off below about 600 or so? Anyway I drove it back out on the road, ac got cold, and came back to the parking lot and the idle sat around 800 with cold air coming out for 10 minutes parked (had to go to work after that)..

Anyway, anyone else evee had this happen?
  • i30g20i30g20 Member Posts: 24
    I'm confused. TMV says 30,237 less 1k cust cash and 4k dealer cash /w some high volume dealerships kicking in another k is another wiay to calculate a price. I thought I read that TMV is before any cash back incentives? At 28k, I'll probably just get an Ody and paint my 1992 and keep it.
    Hey you guys with idle problems. I hear there is a TSB for that. They need to re-program the ECU.

-mike
  • raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    Report Date: August 10, 2001 02:01:57 PM
    Service Bulletin Number: SB0001S005
    Bulletin Sequence Number: 125
    Date of Bulletin: 0004
    NHTSA Item Number: SB612584
    Make: ISUZU TRUCK
    Model: TROOPER
    Year: 1999
    Component: ENGINE
    Summary: EXPERIENCING INTERMITTENT ROUGH IDLE AND / OR THE MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP IS ON WITH DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES P0171, P0174, OR P1171. *TT

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/Servicemmy5.cfm
  • pat_pendingpat_pending Member Posts: 36
    The way to get a Limited for a true steal is to... buy a used one. The prices have not held up well, and although the Limiteds are in fact quite rare compared to the S and LS models, the prices for the Limiteds are depressed because the prices for the S and LS models are so depressed. I should know; I have a '99 Limited that I would like to sell, but it's too depressing to put it on the market. For pre-2000 Troopers, look for trucks with both the "Performance" and "Luxury" packages, because they were not called "Limiteds" before 2000. (BTW, mine is excellent condition, Virginia location; let me know if you would like to learn more. ksalen@armstrongpat.com )
    Good luck in your search.
    -Ken
  • basketballkidbasketballkid Member Posts: 25
    I paid $25,900 for my 1999 trooper with performance pkg, lux pkg, isuzu hitch, multimeter, moonroof, etc., in August 2000. Had 7800 miles on it, but was in *perfect* condition. Isuzu Rep driven, so the title said *new*. Bank gave me the *new* car financing rate (7% at the time).

No regrets.
    Phil
    thanks for the info on that TSB!!
  • hguyhguy Member Posts: 5
    Technicians or mechanics(how we call them in the rest of the world) just try to deal with and fix the "state of the art" technology that engineers are throwing at them. Most of them try hard to earn paycheck,witch is hard btw working on warranty ,and assuming that there is a "switch" they flip to trigger a problem like that , shows how little you know about automotive industry. Give them little credit,because after all where you will go when your LTD will crap the bed? Ya'll have a good weekend now :-)
  • cobbocobbo Member Posts: 34
    Hguy is proving that he/she is the numnut if not capable of recognizing a rant for what it is when someone is dealing with the frustration of a recurring problem...but that aside, contrary to post 1765, most manufacturers have in fact set up an idiot warning light on oil changes which is set to go off according to a mileage countdown and needs to be reset when in for service/oil change by the technician, generally by resetting a computer code or via "flicking a switch" by pushing certain display devices in a preprogrammed order in order to reset the sensor -so common, in fact, that most mechanics/techs will just tell the customer the series after the first occurance in order to obviate the need to bring the truck back in for something so simple...

Now ya'll have a nice weekend and lets move past this unbecoming incident...
    -Cobbo

PS. For anyone who cares, the part was installed this am & appears to have done the job as I put on another 200+ miles today without incident & was able to actually accelerate off the line (which was a welcome change)...hasty lumbegoes...
  • cdpar5in2cdpar5in2 Member Posts: 6
    I am about to buy a new Limited, but just started to get cold feet as I read about the fact that this is the last year for this Trooper (is it a redesign or the end of the Trooper)? Any thoughts out there on what this will do to the value of the current style of Trooper? Also, does anyone know why Running Boards are no longer an option? I have them on my 97 and think they really add to the appearance.

As to the earlier posts on what is a good deal, I am paying 26,500 and am very pleased. Comments quickly please... I am supposed to buy in about 14 hours!
  • cwmosercwmoser Member Posts: 227
    $26,500 sounds like a VERY good price for a Limited Trooper.

In 1999 I purchased a "Luxury" Trooper which is equivalent to the Limited and paid $26,788.25 Cash plus a tradein worth approx $3,000.00. This included all taxes, tags, etc.

I assume the Limited includes the same accessories as the "Performance" and "Luxury" packages offered in 1999 which are Leather, Moon Roof, Spyder Wheels, CD changer, Multimeter, fog lamps, simulated wood trim, etc.

I thought I got a great price but your price is even better!!
    A quick way to tell if a Trooper has both the Luxury and Performance packges for pre 2000 models, is to look for the badging "Luxury" on the back of the vehicle.
  • beer47beer47 Member Posts: 185
    Forget it. We all got our $ value up front when we bought it. You can't get it on the back end too. A Toyota will cost much more up front but you will get it on the back end. I say you buy the Trooper with the idea to keep it for good, trade-in value be damned. With the model going away, low sales figures, and the general public not giving a darn there will be no great $ amounts to be had for your Trooper. I think we got a real good vehicle @ a real good price that is tough as an old shoe. But the key is to drive it, drive it, and drive it some more. Avg person should keep it at least 10 years. I do about 3k per month so I'm not sure mine can hold up that long but I do plan on it going at least 200k which should take me about 5 and a half years. Good luck to all!!
    To answer CW I am getting all of those options, as wll as the rather strange Multimeter, which not only has a compass, but also a barometer. The only thing missing is the running boards.

Any ideas what will happen to parts availability when Troopers end??????????????????
    Thanks for all the comments on limited regarding new vs used. I believe I may just go the used route if I cannot work a reasonable deal. I agree with keeping them forever. I kept my 1986 model till 212k and now have 160k on my 92. If I can get the Lim coupled with the fact that the Trooper will be no more; I'm sure I'll put more than 200k on it also. Also cwmoser, your post re 26k+3k tradein being a great price... I was just wondering was there $5000 in incentives in 1999?. If there was, then I agree; but if there wasn't, then should be able to get one for your 29k - 5k incentives or 24k? (or 25k if they have gone up in price). Hey, cdpar5in2 did you get your Limited?
    manufacturers are required to supply them for 10 years after manufacture. These trucks will still be available outside the US after 02, so it shouldn't be too hard. Also, they probably won't need too many parts :)

-mike
  • troopernewbietroopernewbie Member Posts: 60
    Just wondering what brand batteries were installed in new Troopers at the factory. Mine just died and I'm trying to figure out if it was the original or not. It was a Champion, by the way.
    I quickly overcame my fear of the end of the Trooper as we know it and picked up a totally loaded Silver Limited this afternoon. As previously reported the price was 26,680, but I did not mention itdid not include Pa's ridiculous tax of 7%. It still seem like a great deal. I cannot believe I considered a Grand Cherokee,which would have been $34000 and falling apart in 40000 miles!

The dealer told me about the plans for the Trooper and its not pretty. After next year Isuzu will be putting the Trooper name on a refined GM Envoy that will have a third seat. For anyone who loves Troopers, this should make the last of the real ones a valuable commidity. However it will be a long wait for mine, because at 12,000 miles/year it will be a long time to 200000 miles!
    Be sure to check out http://isuzu-suvs.com for info. Where in PA? We are having a trail ride Sept 15 in NJ.

-mike

Found on Isuzu-dealers.com web site if you do a Limited search across the country the best price for Lim is $24,999 in Fl. You may be able to use this info for those looking to get a limited to negotitiate a real good deal.
  • montanabill2montanabill2 Member Posts: 36
    Just completed a 1100 mile trip in the new trooper this weekend - Alabama to West Virginia and back. Return trip had the trooper loaded to the hilt - rear seats folded forward and the back end stuffed. Great trip. Observations - plenty of engine and it loves gasoline - best highway average was 17 mpg - worst was 15 MPG - we were cruising though - sometimes exceeding 80 mph - trooper very stable at speed - I absolutely love driving this thing. However, the thing corners like an aircraft carrier - could get the tires to howl on back country roads - it does get your attention - the suspension is the culprit - but I plan to leave it alone - but someday we may add a thing or two - Gas shocks might just do it. The newly installed box ( this is an LS ) with the altimeter, compass and temp sensor - was cool - but I plan to relocate that temp sensor - its easy to spot - mounted high and forward of the radiator on the drivers side. - but it is mounted out of the airflow generated by the engine cooling fan - right underneath the upper lip of the grill where heat builds up fast when stopped - poor location compared to other vehicles that have this feature - so anyone out there know how to remove that plastic nose grill? - there is a couple of strange looking tabs that secure the grilI up high - I'm affraid I could break these by not knowing what I'm doing . Also, I expect from the dealer here in Huntsville, Al that you could buy a Limited 4X4 for $26,500 - not counting tax (your state sales tax) - or dock fee. If interested let me know.
    Glad you like it. I get about 18mpg @ 80-90mph on the freeway. Maybe my K&N is helping a bit, also I have 27K miles on it. The Gas shocks will make a world of difference I know they did for me.

-mike
    I just installed Rancho 9000 shocks on my 99 Trooper and they make a HUGE difference. They have 6 settings and I stay at either the middle setting or one softer..I waited a year and a half to do mine, should have done them right away.
    I cranked mine up to 5 this weekend for some off-roading. Lot's of fun. Drove over a few downed trees even!

-mike
  • keepontroopinkeepontroopin Member Posts: 297
    Can you give me some more details on the 9/15 trail ride in NJ?

cdpar5in2 if you are in western PA and are interested in the NJ trailride let me know.
    Here is a link to another post I made

http://i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75474

Basically going to be a relatively easy trail ride Sept 15th in the Pine Barrens of NJ. Between Philly and A/C is the area known as the Pine Barrens. It's shaping up to have anywhere from 10-20 Isuzus, and possibly 20+ Subies.

-mike

Anyone have any advice?..Rancho says "put to firmest" setting for heavy offroad use, but I would think that that would limit the wheels ability in soft or slippery conditions? Would softer be better in some offroad situations?
    Harder is better for off-roading, if the shocks are nice and stiff, you are more likely to keep your traction, whereas if it's soft you'll be slipping all over. I'm sure there are some situations where you would want them to be softer, but in general off-roading with them stiffer = better.

-mike
    Can't do the trail ride, but thanks for asking.

On another topic, my new trooper is loaded but does not have running boards. The dealer says to install standard boards will run $510 for everything, including labor. Any clue if this is a good price? Is there a market for running boards outside of the dealers?
    Matt at Independent4x.com sells similar items, they aren't running boards per say. They are actually side-step/boulder bars. These boulder bars are attached to the frame and can be used to protect the body from damage as well as jacking point. I think his run for around $300 or $330.

-mike
    We are also doing a pre-run the weekend of sept 8 or 9th if interested.

-mike
    That's cause 99% of the dealers are not selling Isuzus as their major brand. They are either selling higher end cars, and use Isuzu to "keep the sale" rather than have someone walk out, or are selling other brands and just carry the Isuzu logo cause it's cheap to have as a vehicle.

-mike
  • breakorbreakor Member Posts: 398
    IIRC, on my 99 to get the grille off you push down on the tab on the top of the funky plastic brackets. Then the grille will slide out. The trick is that sometimes the brackets stick to the removed grille, sometimes they stay in place on the vehicle and sometimes they fly away to parts unknown. Try not to let the latter happen.

To reinstall you can put the brackets on the grille and then pop the grille/brackets back into the housing. Or, for me it seemed much easier to put the brackets back in the housing and then pop the grille into the brackets/housing.

I am sure I have made it sound more complicated than it is. Just don't use too much force and you will be fine.
    I'm updating http://isuzu-suvs.com as we speak...

-mike

• fiveharpersfiveharpers Member Posts: 53
    I ordered the Isuzu side steps from the ST Charles Isuzu for $317 in May, go to their web site for phone number. I installed them myself without drilling or lifting the Trooper in less than an hour. They can sell you the running boards also. http://www.stcharlesauto.com/
    Hey Mike, did Conman ever send you the pic of the Lund Bug guard? also, that new pic of Big Swede going over the rocks is awsome. Really shows the travel on these things, looks like they got 265/75's on that without a problem. I noticed the rear mudflap is missing though.
    I think it's still back-ordered til mid Aug.

-mike
    I preemptively took the rear mudflaps off before going on the trails at Moab, they are 'spensive to replace...would've taken the fronts off too, but was not able to, short of drilling out the screws. Hit 'em a couple of times, but made it without damage. :-)

As you can see from that picture on Mikes website, the 265s are no problem whatsoever - even with that extreme articulation, no rubbing at all!

Also of interest in that picture (other than Bruce Anderson running for his life) is that I am on the very edge of a precipice...the reason Bruce is running forward of me is that the only other escape is down, WAY down! Man, Moab was fun!

sdc2 aka BigSwede
  • montanabill2montanabill2 Member Posts: 36
    Appreciate the input on the removal of the forward grill - give it a shot this weekend. Also Billstein is running a sale price on gas shocks = $39.95 ea - normally $65 about the same as the Rancho pricing I have found - not adjustable - but thats not a big issue to me - I just want to flatten the sucker out in the turns and limit the nose pitch during braking - also JC Whitney has Gabriel Gas shocks for $24.00. Also has anybody tried the poly bushing upgrade mentioned in the How to Upgrade of Isuzu-suv.com. Thanks
    We have the same trucks except mine is White. You don't see many Black W/Performance pkg. out here.
    Your tires appear to be Pirelli Scorps, how many miles have you put on them, and how are they wearing. It looks like you added a couple of turns to the T-Bars too, It looks very well balanced. That rock ride is pretty impressive. Moab looked like a blast!
    Ah, you have the winter stealth-mobile...at least it would be in Minnesnowta :-)

The black helps the ice/snow melt off faster, which sound weird after all the 90+ days we have had this summer. The real reason I ended up with black is because it was the only PP left without a moonroof in the surrounding 5-state area. I like it, though. Not a liability to have black vehicles up here, very common.

Haven't noticed any unusual wear on the Scorps, but I only have about 8K miles on 'em. I believe the warranty was 40K. Sears has been unable to quite balance them correctly, though...not sure if the tires are to blame or just incompetent service.

The AT Scorps did great in Moab, grippier than mud tires on the sandstone bedrock. You get AMAZING traction out there, and it was a blast. I definitely will be returning.
    Maybe you should look into this balancing process. When it becomes time for new shoes I'm going to try it. http://www.gsp9700.com/
    How bout them Vikings....looked good last week!
    I'm planning on doing Moab next year as well.

-mike